Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 101 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 101 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


his death, which occurred in May, 1910. During the Civil war he served with a volunteer
regiment organized in Gentry county, Missouri. The last farm which he purchased, situated
in Marion county, Oregon, and of which he became owner in 1872, remains the home of his
widow and she expects there to reside throughout the residue of her days. She is also a
native of Virginia and a representative of one of the old families of that state. By her
marriage she became the mother of two sons and four daughters and two of the daughters
have passed awaj'.

Dr. Thomas was the fifth in order of birth and in his youthful days attended the
grammar schools of Stayton, Oregon. He remained upon the home farm to the age of
twenty-two years and subsequently devoted six years to commercial pursuits. Becoming
imbued with the desire to enter professional circles, however, he matriculated in the Willa-
mette University at Salem, Oregon, from which he was graduated in 1902, winning the
M. D. degree. He then went to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and entered the senior class of
the Jefferson Medical College, being graduated from that institution in 1903. From April
until September, 1902, he served as an interne in the hospital at Salem, Oregon, and thus
received his preliminary practical experience in the practice of his profession. On the
loth of September, 1903, he opened his present office in the Walker building in Seattle and
here he has since continued, engaging in the general practice of medicine and surgery,
his efforts being attended with gratifying' success. He belongs to the King County Medical
Society, the Washington State Medical Association and the American Medical Association.
In addition to his private practice he is examining physician for the Northern Life Insur-




DR. JAMES W. THOMAS






1 ^ -!■?>>'



i'\j '<■' ■



\






IIISTURV OF SEATTLL: 825

aucc Company and lor Camp No. 69, W. O. W., at Seattle. He belongs to that order
and to several other fraternal societies. He is a past master of St. John's Lodge, F. & A. M.,
is a Royal Arch Mason, is a past master of Seattle Council, R. & S. M., belongs to Seattle
Commandery, K. T., and has taken the thirty-second degree in the Scottish Rite, while
with the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine of Nile Temple he has crossed the sands of the
desert. He was made a Mason in Salem, Oregon, being initiated into Pacific Lodge, No.
50, F. & A. M., in 1894. He is also a past patron of Loraine Chapter, No. 6, O. E. S.
Dr. Thomas likewise belongs to the Automobile Club of Seattle. His interest in community
affairs is manifest in his connection with the Municipal League, while his efforts for the
moral progress of the community are put forth in connection with the work of the Young
Men's Christian Association, to which he belongs, and of the First Baptist church, of
which he is a member, while of the brotherhood of that church, he was formerly president.
It is interesting to note the heights to which an individual may attain when he has
the perseverance and determination to continue in the paths of opportunity that are open
to all. In retrospect one may see Dr. Thomas earning his first money by digging potatoes.
His start in life was a good home training, sound and honest advice given him by his
parents and the adoption of principles which are fundamental to success. The lessons of
his youth and the principles which he early indorsed he has followed with increasing
determination and enthusiasm and thereby has won a high place in his profession and
among his fellow citizens and has also gained high honors in fraternal circles. Withal he
is a modest man, and it is only from his friends and associates, who know his life history,
that one learns the points which have been the salient features in his career.



THERON B. COREY.



Theron B. Corey came to Seattle immediately after the great fire which left wide
destruction in its wake but which really proved the turning point in the better building
of a great city. He had previously been a resident of Braidwood, Illinois. That was his
native state, his birth having occurred at Godfrey, his father, A. W. Corey, having for
■ years been connected with Monticello Seminary, a noted school for girls at that place.
He was also general superintendent of the American Sunday School Union and organized
many Sunday schools in the state. In fact he took a very active part in church work and
planted seeds of moral progress that are still bearing fruit in the lives of those who came
within the radius of his influence. He was a native of New York and married Althea E.
Foote, also a native of that state, who was principal of the Griggsville (111.) Seminary at
the time of her marriage.

Their son, Theron B. Corey, reared in Illinois, devoted his early life to railroad work,
becoming agent for the Chicago & Alton Railroad Company at many places. He afterward
took charge of the mining interests of the Chicago, Vermilion & Wilmington Coal Com-
pany at Braidwood and while living in that city was called to the ofiice of mayor, which
position he filled to the time of his removal to Seattle, when he resigned.

Mr. Corey came to the northwest to take charge of the mines at Newcastle and
Franklin and remained in that connection for a number of years. He was thus active at
the time of the great mining strike, when he went to Illinois, recruited men and brought
them to Washington without any one knowing of his movement. He was entirely fearless,
manifesting the greatest valor in protecting mining interests and upholding the cause of
justice and right. He located various mines, acted as mining inspector and did much work
as mining expert. He invested in the Cedar Mountain mines and his last investment was
at Ashford, where he had platted a town and was carrying out plans for the development
of the district and of the mining resources there. His long and varied experience gave
him comprehensive knowledge concerning the nature of coal deposits and he wrote various
articles on coal , for publication.

At Millwood, Illinois, in 1869, Mr. Corey was united in marriage to Mrs. Lucy I.
Gardner, who was born at Palmyra, Illinois, in 1S46. They became the parents of five



826 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

children: Ella E., who died in 1889; Harry B., who died in i88j: Ida G. ; Margaret, the
wife of Fred Johnstone; and Amy, the wife of Robert B. Leithead.

Mr. Corey had an interesting military chapter in his life record, for at the early age
of sixteen years he enlisted from Illinois in response to the call for one-hundred-day men.
Fraternally he was a Mason, holding membership with the Knight Templar commandery
and the consistory, in which he attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite.
He purchased a large ranch at Mountain Home, but was living at Ashford at the time of
his demise, which occurred November g, 1909, when he was si.xty-three years of age. His
labors were of far-reaching effect and value in the development of the northwest. While
he was in constant danger when settling labor disputes, he knew no fear and ever en-
deavored to carry on his business justly and equitably. His work was of benefit to many
and his life was ever guided by principles that others might well follow — principles that
found manifestation in an honorable manhood and upright citizenship.



CHARLES JOSEPH FARMER.

The business efforts of Charles Joseph Farmer have been of direct benefit to the state,
for his many enterprises have furnished employment to large forces of workmen and have
materially advanced public progress and prosperity. He is prominent as a man whose
constantly expanding powers have taken him from humble surroundings to the field of
large enterprise and continually broadening opportunities. In all of his business career he
has brought to bear upon his affairs a clear understanding that readily solves complex
problems and unites into a harmonious whole unfavorable and adverse interests. He is
now identified with various corporations, his activities being largely along the lines of the
salmon canning industry and the development of telephone systems.

Mr. Farmer is a native of Ashtabula, Ohio, born July 29, 1864, his parents being John
Q. and Maria N. Farmer. The ancestral line can be traced back through several genera-
tions to two brothers who came from England, one of whom was James Farmer, the
ancestor of this branch of the family, while the other was killed by the Indians. Benjamin
Farmer, a son of James Farmer, was born in America in 1747 and died in 1845. The
pocketbook which he carried throughout the Revolutionary war is now in possession of
G. W. Farmer at Spring Valley, Minnesota. Of the four sons of Benjamin Farmer,
Hiram, born in 1798, died in 1866. He had nine children. The eldest, John Q. Farmer,
father of Charles J. Farmer of this review, was born at Burke, Caledonia countj', Ver-
mont, and in 1833 went witli his parents to Ohio. In 1857 he became a resident of Minne-
sota and in 1866 removed to Spring Valley, Fillmore county, that state. He was a lawyer
by profession and became not only a prominent member of the Minnesota bar but also a
leading factor in shaping the legislative and judicial history of the state, serving for
fourteen years as circuit judge of the tenth judicial circuit and for several terms as a
member of the general assembly, during wliich time he was speaker of the house of
representatives for one term.

Charles J. Farmer was but two years of age when his parents removed to Spring
Valley, Minnesota, where he was graduated from the high school with the class of 1882.
He afterward engaged in teaching school for a year, but regarded this merely as an initial
step to other professional labor. He took up the study of law and for one year acted as
secretary to his father who was then upon the circuit court bench. He further prepared
for the legal profession in the University of Wisconsin, from which he was graduated as
a member of the class of 1887. He then located for practice at Howard. Miner county.
South Dakota, and also homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres adjoining the town site,
on which he took up his abode. In his law practice he formed a partnership with his
senior brother, George R. Farmer, under the firm style of Farmer & Farmer and later
they established an office at Madison, Lake county. South Dakota, maintaining both oflSces
imtil C. J. Farmer removed to Washington in 1902. Aside from his practice he had be-
come prominently connected with business affairs in that state. He was one of the in-
corporators of the Peoples State Bank at Howard, South Dakota, of which he served as



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 827

vice president from 1897 until 1903. He was also a member of the firm of Farmer. Radcliff
& Seney. lumber and grain merchants of Howard, from i8g6 initil 1901, and a partner in
the firm of Theodore Hanson & Company, general merchants of Howard, and of the
Radcliff & Farmer Abstract Company. He also served as local attorney for the Chicago,
Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway Company for Miner county. South Dakota, from 1888
until 1902, and was called to public office, acting as prosecuting attorney for the county
for two years and as city attorney of Howard for two years.

On account of the strenuous business life he led his health became impaired and Mr.
Farmer removed to the state of Washington, settling at Port Angeles, in May, 1902. He
purchased the salmon cannery at that place and organized the Manhattan Packing Com-
pany, conducting the business for four years, during which period he regained his health.
His activities naturally broadened out because of his enterprising and progressive spirit
and in 1904 he was elected president of the Citizens National Bank of Port Angeles, of
which he was a stockholder. He has held that position continuously since, directing its
affairs and largely shaping its policy. In 1902 he organized the Angeles Telephone and
Telegraph Company, of which he is the president and treasurer, and he installed the first
telephones of Clallam county, the company covering the entire county with its telephone
system. In 1908 he purchased the Sol Due Hot Springs, which he turned over to the
Sol Due Hot Springs Company, which was later financed and developed by Michael Earles,
and of which company Mr. Farmer is the vice president. In 1909 he organized the Kitsap
County Telephone Company, of which he is president and treasurer and which covers all
of Kitsap county. In 191 1 he organized the Superior Trading Company, of which lie is
president and treasurer, and established the salmon cannery and post trading store on
Queets river, Quiniault Indian reservation. He is also interested in placer mining in
Alaska, being president of the Bud Mining Company, and he laid out and platted the first
plat of the town of Sequim. Clallam county, in 1907. He is now vice president and director
of the Sequim Light & Power Company. His interests are broad and varied and con-
stitute an uplifting force in the communities in which he has operated.

On the 31st of May, 1888, in Grand Forks, North Dakota, Mr. Farmer married Miss
Nellie M. Brass, a daughter of Norman R. and Ellen S. Brass. They have three children :
Fred C, who married Ethel M. Carey; Howard N. ; and Paul C, who wedded Beulah
La Haise. The family resided at Port Angeles from 1902 until 1912, v/hen they removed
to Seattle, Mr. Farmer there establishing an office as a central place of business. In
politics he has always been a republican and is a public-spirited citizen who has cooperated
in many plans and projects for the general good. He gave to the city of Port Angeles
its library site in 1913. His religious belief is that of the Christian Science church and
fraternally he is connected with the Masons, the Elks and the Knights of Pythias. He is
also a life member of the Arctic Club and a member of the Rotary Club. His life has
never been self-centered. While he has attempted important things and accomplished what
he has attempted, his success has never represented another's losses but has resulted from
effort intelligently applied. He is a man of well balanced capacities and powers, a man of
strong character and one who inspires confidence in others. He may not have genius or
any phenomenal characteristics, yet he is capable of mature judgment of his own capacities
and of the people and circumstances that make up his life contacts and experiences. His
interests have greatly benefited the citj- and state in which he has operated. It is said that
the greatest benefactor of the race is he who furnishes employment to his fellowmen. that
they may earn an honest living. This Mr. Farmer has done in large measure as his business
activitii^s constitute some of the most important commercial enterprises of tlie northwest.



T. M. HENDERSON.



T. M. Henderson is proprietor of a large harness business which has been conducted
at its present location for sixteen years and in mercantile circles he has gained a creditable
place, his labors crowned by desirable and merited prosperity. As he has prospered in
this field he has made investment in real estate and is now the owner of valuable acreage



828 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

and city property. His residence in Seattle dates from i88g and at the time of his arrival
he was a young man of about twenty-seven years. His birth occurred in Canada, April
21, 1862, his parents being Hugh and Anna (IngersoU) Henderson, who were likewise
natives of that country. The father is still living and reached the age of eighty years on
the 17th of March. The mother, who was born in London, Canada, also survives and is
eighty-three years of age.

After spending his boyhood and youth in his native country and pursuing his education
in its public schools, Mr. Henderson crossed the border into the United States, making his
way to Seattle in 1889. He became connected with the harness business at the location now
occupied by Lowman & Hanford, entering the employ of Burgett & Company, dealers in
harness and saddlery. The junior partner of the firm was H. J. McSorley, who, severing
his connection with Mr. Burgett, established a new business of which Mr. Henderson acted
as foreman for many years. He purchased an interest in the business in 1897 and the
partnership was maintained for ten years, or until 1907, when Mr. Henderson purchased
the interest of Mr. McSorley and became sole owner. He has been located at the present
place of business for sixteen years and is conducting an enterprise of large and gratifying
proportions. He carries an extensive line of harness and saddlery and his reliable and
enterprising business methods are bringing to him gratifying and substantial success. He
applies himself closely to the management of the trade and, realizing that satisfied cus-
tomers are the best advertisement, has put forth the most earnest efforts to please his
patrons and thereby has promoted his trade relations. Judicious investment in realty has
made him the owner of considerable acreage property as well as city real estate.

In 1907, in Seattle, Mr. Henderson was united in marriage to Miss Catherine Mc-
Kissock, a native of Glasgow, by whom he has two children, Catherine Irene Norton and
Ruth Evelyn, both of whom were born in Seattle. He belongs to the Chamber of Com-
merce and is also identified with the Foresters of America and the Woodmen of the
World. In his political views Mr. Henderson is a republican, having been naturalized in
1895. He is interested in all that is of concern to the city and its upbuilding and co-
operates heartily in many measures which have to do with public progress and improve-
ment.



HON. COLUMBUS TYLER TYLER. ,

In financial circles in Seattle, Hon. Columbus Tyler Tyler was well known, but it was
not alone business activity that gained for him the firm hold which he had upon the affec-
tionate regard and goodwill of all with whom he came in contact. He was a broad-minded,
cultured gentleman, well descended and well bred, and his personal characteristics and
social qualities were pronounced, making him an acceptable companion in any society
in which intelligence is a necessary attribute to agreeableness.

Mr. Tyler was born in Boston, Massachusetts, June 29, 1852, and was a representative
of one of the old New England families. His great-grandfather Joseph Tyler, was the
founder of Townsend, Vermont, and was a soldier of the Revolutionary war, participating
in the battle of Bennington, where he was seriously wounded. He was such an ardent
partisan that Great Britain offered a reward for his head. Joseph Curtis Tyler, father of
Columbus T. Tyler, was born in the Green Mountain state and became a Boston merchant,
one of the last of the old school of importers of the days of sailing vessels. He was
for many years at the head of the firm of J. C. Tyler & Company, leading importers of
fruits and nuts in Boston, owning and operating their own ships. He was also one of
the organizers of the first Seamen's Friends Society and remained its president until his
demise. His life was actuated by broad humanitarian principles and Christian spirit and
he was one of the founders of the old Mount Vernon church of Boston. He wedded Mary
Ann Blaisdell, whose people were prominently identified with Dartmouth College, where
many of her relatives were graduated. One of her grandfathers was a participant in the
War of 1812, and her other grandfather was a congressman from New Hampshire for
many years, taking an active part in shaping national legislation during that period.

In the family home of his parents on Beacon Hill, the site of which is now a part of the



,1 «^*




^^i






1


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^H '.-^9B^^^^^


i


^^^^l^^^wliHl




^^^^^^^^^^^^B^nfl^^KQ^ - j<' ^m






<


^^^^^^/^t ^^^^^^^H^^^^<^^£^^K


i


^^^lA ■^^^^^^bia






f




1
<

3 ■




1


^^B" ' ^■■kfl


1



HOX. COLUMBUS TYLER TYLER



-vTc ■•Ji'inv ^OV;K I






HISTORY OF SEATTLE 831

State House Park, Columbus Tyler Tyler spent his youth, continuing his education in the
public schools until he was graduated from the Public Latin School, in which he was
awarded a Franklin medal and in which he served as major of the school battalion. He
then entered Harvard and during his college days was a prominent figure in athletic circles,
serving on both the class and university baseball nines. He was the first freshman of
Harvard ever chosen to serve on the university team, of which he was captain during
a part of the junior and the whole of the senior year. He belonged to the team that beat
Boston years ago, when he helped to break the record the Boston team had made as a
winner of many games. He was also a mcmlier of the Hasty Pudding Club, the Institute
of 1770 and the Delta Kappa Epsilon.

When his college days were over Mr. Tyler became connected with railroad interests,
spending five montlis in the office of the superintendent of the Cincinnati, Sandusky &
Cleveland Railroad at Springfield, Ohio, after which he became freight and ticket agent
at Urbana, Ohio. In April, 1876, he returned to Boston to assist his father in the conduct
of his fruit importing business, remaining in that connection until March, 1878, when he
once more entered the employ of the Cincinnati, Sandusky & Cleveland Railroad Com-
pany. After acting for a time as general agent at Columbus, Ohio, he was appointed assist-
ant superintendent in July, 1880, with headquarters at Springfield, Ohio. Later he for two
years occupied a similar position with the Indiana, Bloomington & Western Railway Com-
pany, which leased the old road, and for a few months he was superintendent of that
division of the new road cast of Indianapolis. His duties, however, were of a most strenuous
character and impaired health obliged him to resign in September, 1882. In the spring of
1883 he went to the Philippines, where he became connected with the sugar exporting
trade in partnership with his brother, Joseph Curtis Tyler, who was then a member of the
firm of Austen & Company at Iloilo. The brothers continued actively in business until
they sold out to Peele, Hubbcll & Company, the largest American house in the east. While
at Iloilo, the Hon. C. T. Tyler was vice-consul and consular agent of the United States.

The spring of 1890 witnessed the arrival of Mr. Tyler in Seattle, whither he came
to take charge of real-estate and other investments as financial representative of J. Mont-
gomery Scars of Boston, who had become the owner of extensive holdings in this city.
Wliile here he built the old Seattle Theatre, having supervision during its construction.
At one time he was manager of the Equitable Life Assurance Society for the states of
Washington and Oregon, conducting his insurance business under the firm name of Morphy
& Tyler. In 1898 he received from President McKinley the appointment to the position
of receiver of the land office at Seattle, occupying the position for the full term of four
years, but during that period his health began to fail and he did not reenter business circles.
He was recognized as a man of great ability, resourceful, enterprising and progressive.

At Columbus, Ohio, on the 1st of June, 1881, Mr. Tyler was united in marriage to
Miss Daisy Lodge Reed and they became the parents of four children, of whom three
arc living: Katharine, who is a graduate nurse of Roosevelt Hospital Training School,
New York city, and is successfully practicing her profession in the east; Joseph Curtis, who
was formerly a reporter on the Post-Intelligencer and is now manager of the sales depart-
ment of the Spokane & Eastern Trust Company; and Margaret, at home. The second
daughter, Mary Lodge, was born and died in the Philippines. The son is a champion
tennis player, being widely known in this connection.

The family circle was broken by the hand of death when on the 6th of November,
1905, Hon. Columbus Tyler Tyler passed away at the age of fiftj - three years. In a memo-
rial written of him for the Harvard Annual, it was said : "In college we all remember Co
Tyler as a good friend, generous and just in his treatment of others, always loyal to his
class and his college. His letters were always full of inquiries for this or that man : nothing
gave him greater pleasure than to learn of the success of his classmates. No one was
more sympathetic for those in trouble." The same qualities characterized him throughout
his entire life. He remained generous, loyal and sympathetic and his life was the embodi-
ment of high principles, strong courage and manly spirit. When in Boston he held mem-



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 101 of 142)