Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 102 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 102 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


bership with the Congregational church. His political support was given to the republican
party and he was a prominent member of the Rainier Club for a number of years, having
the honor of being the first man ever elected president of that club for a second term.



832 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

He was also president of the Harvard Club of Seattle and always enjo3-ed meeting witli
those who claimed the same alma mater. He was a man of well balanced capacities and
powers. The high ideals which he cherished found embodiment in practical effort for their
adoption and because of the innate refinement of his nature he rejected everjrthing opposed
to good taste.



HENRY WADSWORTH LUNG.

Among the successful and highly esteemed lawyers of Seattle is Henry Wadsworth
Lung, a native of Scranton, Pennsylvania, who was born on the I2th of May, 1862, of the
marriage of George Washington and Abigail (Shove) Lung. He received his early educa-
tion in the public schools of Browntown, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, and later was
successively a student in the Wyalusing Academy of that county, in the Mansfield State
Normal School of Tioga county, and in the law department of the University of Michigan
at Ann Arbor, from which he was graduated with the class of 1893. Previous to taking
his law course he had engaged in farming and in teaching school and in early manhood
was also connected with the general mercantile business for some time. He located in
Seattle in December, 1893, and since that time has won steady advancement at the bar, as
he has demonstrated his ability in his chosen profession. He has gained a representative
and lucrative practice and holds the respect of his colleagues.

On the 22d of June, 1905, Mr. Lung was married in Seattle to Miss Beatrice Peaslee, a
daughter of John T. Peaslee, of Bath, Maine. She is a representative of an old and
prominent New England family and is much interested in music and club work. She is a
member of the Century Club, past president of the Schubert Club and president of the
Seattle Federation of Women's Clubs.

Mr. Lung is a republican and is quite prominent in political circles. Li 1907 he was
elected to the Washington state legislature and proved an efficient working member of that
body. Through his connection with the Commercial Club he cooperates with movements
which seek the advancement of the business and industrial interests of his city, and he is
at all times ready to aid in the moral and civic progress of the community. Fraternally he
is connected with the Masons and Odd Fellows, and his religious faith is that of the
Methodist Episcopal church. In all relations of life he has conformed his conduct to high
standards, and he has not only won a large measure of professional success but has also
gained the confidence and goodwill of all who know him.



WOODRUFF MARBURY SOMERVELL.

Woodruff Marbury Somervell has attained distinction as an architect and is well
known as a writer upon professional subjects. Many of the finest buildings in Seattle and
other sections of the country are the tangible evidences of his superior skill and ability.
Mr. Somervell is a native of Washington, D. C. He was born May 3, 1872, a son of
Augustus and Mary Eliza (Somervell) Maccafferty. The family name was changed by a
ruling of tlie supreme court for the purpose of enabling them to inherit certain properties
and in the fulfillment of a clause in the will of the maternal grandfather of Woodruff M.
Somervell. The ancestry is traced back to Dr. James Somervell, who left Scotland to
become a resident of the Maryland colony in 1715, and to John Scrivenor, who came from
England in 1767. His ancestors were represented in the Colonial wars, the Revolutionary
war, the War of 1812, the Mexican war and the Civil war. In the paternal line Woodruff
M. Somervell is descended from Robert Maccafferty, a civil engineer, who came from
Ireland in 1814. He was associated with DeWitt Clinton on the Erie canal project of
New York, built the first lighthouse in Cuba and also the first railway on that island. He
likewise located the first copper mines in Cuba and he met his death during the ten years'
war there in 1868.

Liberal educational opportunities were afforded Woodruff M. Somervell, who attended



HISTORY UF SEATTLE 833

Cornell University, from which he was graduated with the class of 1892. He afterwards
went abroad for study and entered the School of Fine Arts at Florence, Italy, and he also
studied in various ateliers in Paris in 1893. Having qualified for the profession of archi-
tecture, he entered upon active work in Baltimore, Maryland, in 1901, and practiced in
New York from 1902 until 1904. In the latter year he came to Seattle and has been
architect for the Providence Hospital, the Perry Hotel, the Seattle public library, and also
architect for the British Columbia Electric Company of Vancouver and Victoria, B. C.
He was made a member of the board of architects for the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposi-
tion and drew the plans for the Manufacturers building. He was likewise the architect
for the Phinney building, the Orthopedic Hospital, the Minor Hospital, the Henry memorial
chapel and various fine residences in Seattle. His professional skill has been employed in
connection with many of the large buildings of Vancouver, British Columbia, including the
Merchants Bank, the Bank of Ottawa, the Birks building, the London building, the Pacific
building, the Yorkshire building and others of equal prominence. He is tlie author of
various professional papers, his prominence in his profession enabling him to speak with
authority upon many questions relative thereto. That he has attained distinction as an
architect is indicated in the fact that he has been elected to membership in the American
Institute of Architects, the Architectural League of New York and the .'\rchitectural
League of the Pacific coast.

On the loth of July, 1907, Mr. Somervell was united in marriage to Miss Helen Mary
Hughes, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. C. Huglies. They have one daughter. Jane
De Hart, born November i, 1908.

Mr. Somervell served as an ensign in the Naval Militia of Virginia from 1897 until
1899 as junior grade lieutenant. He was a member of the Maryland Naval Militia from
1899 until 1902 and became senior grade lieutenant. The following year he was granted a
furlough. He holds membership in the Rainier Club, the University Club, the Golf and
Country Club, the Tennis Club, the Highlands, the Vancouver Club, the Engineers Club,
and v/ith the Sons of the Revolution, the Society of the War of 1812, the Society of
Colonial Wars, the American Archaeological Society and the Fine Arts Society. These
indicate the nature and breadth of his interests, which are wide and varied. His advance-
ment along professional lines has been continuous and has brought him ultimately to a
position of notable and enviable distinction among the architects of the Pacific coast.



CHARLES J. DOBBS.



Charles J. Dobbs, who for fifteen years has been engaged in tlie practice of law in
Seattle, his business being one of substantial and healthful development, was born at
Cargo Fleet, a small place near Middlesborough in Yorkshire, England, April 18, 1868, a
son of Charles J. and Emma (Marjerison) Dobbs, now deceased. The latter was born
upon a farm near Shefiield, England. The former, also a native of England, became a
prominent civil engineer and was manager of Swan, Coates & Company iron works at
Cargo Fleet at the time of our subject's birth. He was a pioneer in the development of
the iron industry at Middlesborough, located in wliat is now one of the leading iron and
steel districts of the world.

Charles J. Dobbs was a pupil in the schools of England to the age of fourteen years.
He left his home in that country when a youth of si.xteen and crossed the .'\tlantic alone
to the new world, after which he was employed at farm work in Kansas for two years.
At eighteen years of age he entered the State Agricultural Colle.ge at Manhattan, Kansas,
in which he completed a four years' course by graduation with the class of 1890. He won
his own way through the school during that entire time and after winning his degree of
Bachelor of Science he took up the study of law in Topeka, Kansas, entering the office of
Henry L. Call, who afterward became a member of the firm of Call & Ingalls. He con-
tinued with the firm after its formation, being a law student under the direction of Mr.
Call from 1890 until 1895. .•\t the end of that period Mr. Call and Mr. Ingalls dissolved
partnership, the former with the intention of going to New York and the latter to Kansas



834 ■ HISTORY OF SEATTLE

City. At that time Mr. Dobbs entered into partnership with George E. Stoker and the
firm of Dobbs & Stoker became successors to the firm of Call & Ingalls. He continued in
active practice at Topeka until 1901, when he severed his business relations with Mr. Stoker
and came to Seattle. Mr. Stoker, however, remained, and his firm, that of Stoker &
Newell, continued in the line of commercial practice, in which the firm of Call & Ingalls
was engaged.

Mr. Dobbs had been first admitted to practice in the district court of Shawnee county,
Kansas, at Topeka, February 23. 1894, and to the supreme court of Kansas, April 2, 1895.
He was afterward admitted to the United States district court and to the United States
circuit court at Topeka and also to the United States district and circuit courts in Seattle.
He came direct to this city upon his removal to the northwest in the spring of 1901 and
was admitted to practice before the supreme court on the 29th of October of that year.
During the intervening period of fifteen years he has continuously made his home in
Seattle, where he has ever maintained an office, devoting his time to the general practice
of law. He is well versed in the various departments of jurisprudence, accurately applies
its principles to the points in litigation, is strong and logical in argument and recognized
as an able advocate and wise counselor.

On the 3d of June, 1896, in Alanhattan, Kansas, Mr. Dobbs was married to Miss Nellie
P. Little, a daughter of Dr. and Mrs. C. F. Little of that place. They now have two
children, Jean Swift and Charlotte Marjerison, aged respectively eighteen and thirteen
years. The mother is descended from Revolutionary stock, so that the children are
eligible to membership in the Daughters of the American Revolution.

Mr. Dobbs' career has been quite different from what he planned as a boy, for then
he wished to engage in agricultural pursuits. He has fully appreciated the opportunities
thrown in his way in the new world and his loyalty to his adopted country has never been
questioned. He displayed the elemental strength of his character in providing for his
education and his laudable ambition was evidenced in his desire to prepare for something
better. Studious habit, combined witli thoroughness, has brought him to tlic position
which he now occupies in connection with the profession of law.



VICTOR A. MONTGOMERY.

Victor A. Montgomery, who has established a satisfactory and growing practice in
Seattle, although one of the younger representatives of the bar of this city, was born in
Boulder, Colorado, August 17, 1887, and comes of a family of Scotch-Irish ancestry, the
first representatives of the name settling in Virginia prior to the Revolutionary war and
becoming planters of that state. Cyrus W. Alontgomery, father of Victor A. Montgomery,
is a native of Iowa, but during the early '70s removed to Colorado, becoming one of the
pioneers of that state. He turned his attention to prospecting there and later took up the
active work of mining, being now engaged in the operation of the Golden Cross Mine in
Boulder county, making his home in the city of Boulder. He married Dora Hedges, a native
of Illinois, who went west to teach school and formed the acquaintance of Mr. Montgomery
in Boulder, Colorado. They have become the parents of three children : Elsie, who is now
a teacher in the public schools of Walla Walla, Washington; Victor A., of this review; and
Floyd, who is a student in the State University at Boulder.

At the usual age Victor A. Montgomery entered the public schools of his native cily
and after completing the high-school course became a student in the Colorado University,
from which he was graduated in 191 1 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. Removing
westward to Washington, he entered the University of this state for the study of law and
completed his course in 1913, at which time the LL. B. degree was conferred upon him. He
made his own way through college, his industry, enterprise and ambition enabling him to
acquire the capital sufficient to meet the expenses of his university course and thus qualify
him for an active professional career. He at once opened an office in Seattle and has since
enjoyed a growing practice which has now reached large proportions. He belongs to both
the Seattle and the King County Bar Associations. He is very careful in the preparatif)n



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 8ar,

of his cases, recognizing the fact that industry is just as essential an element in law [)rac-
tice as in any other field of endeavor.

On the i6th of September, 1914, in Seattle, Mr. Montgomery was married to Miss Senta
Stoll, a native of California, born in Los Angeles, but reared in Seattle. She is a daughter
of the late W. P. Stoll, who was a distinguished opera singer. The family home has been
maintained in Seattle for eighteen years. Fraternally Mr. Montgomery is connected witli
University Lodge, F. & A. M., of Seattle; the Acacia college fraternity; and Phi Alpha
Delta, a legal fraternity. In politics he is a democrat, and he is a member of the University
Presbyterian church. Many substantial qualities of character, as well as his recognized
professional ability, have gained for him the goodwill and Iiigh regard of those with whom
he has been associated.



lOHN E. liALLAINE.



John E. Ballaine, prominently connected witli development work in Alaska, belongs
to that class of enterprising men whose sagacity has enabled them to recognize the oppor-
tunities of the northwest and whose laudable ambition has prompted them to utilize their
advantages in that connection. His life work has been of far-reaching effect and import-
ance, contributing to public progress as well as to individual success.

Mr. Ballaine was born in Louisa county, Iowa, September 2, 186S, and in 1879 came
to Washington with his parents, Edward and Elizabeth (Le Boutillier) Ballaine. The
latter was a daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Charles Lc Boutillier, wlio settled in Louisa county,
Iowa, ill 1S48 with a large number of other Norman Huguenots from the islands of Jersey
and Guernsey. The Ballaine family also comes of French ancestry, both the Ballaine and
Le Boutillier families having been represented on the island of Jersey since the twelfth
century. Five years after the arrival of Dr. Le Boutillier in Louisa county, Iowa, Edward
Ballaine also took up his abode there after having spent three years in California. He
came to America from the island of Jersey in 1850 and in 1853 arrived in Iowa. Following
the outbreak of the Civil war he enlisted in the Twenty-fifth Iowa Infantry and was
wounded in the first attack on Vicksburg. He took an active interest in community affairs
in his adopted state and was one of the founders of Wcslcyan University at Mount
Pleasant, Iowa. His death in 1882 resulted from wounds which he liad sustained during
the war.

After attending the public schools of his native county to tlie age of ten years John
E. Ballaine accompanied his parents on their removal westward to Walla Walla, Wash-
ington, and later continued his education there as a student in Whitman College. He
did not graduate, putting aside his textbooks in 1888 to take up the lessons tliat are learned
in the school of experience. Immediately after his father's death his mother had removed
with her family to a farm in Whitman county, in eastern Washington, and it was thereon
that John E. Ballaine was largely reared. After leaving college he engaged in teaching
school for four terms and then turned his attention to newspaper work, whicli he followed
for seven years, filling every position on a daily newspaper up to that of managing editor.
In the years 1897 and 1898 he acted as secretary to Governor John R. Rogers and as
adjutant general under that executive. The military spirit wdiich characterized his an-
cestors was manifested by him at the time of the Spanish-American war, when he enlisted
with the government troops, serving for eighteen months as an officer of the First Wash-
ington Infantry in the Philippine Islands. His discharge papers credit him with participa-
tion in thirty-four battles and minor engagements.

After his return from the Pliilippines Mr. Ballaine organized the .\laska Central Rail-
way Company in 190J and under his direction a complete route was surveyed with seven
crews of surveyors from Resurrection bay to the Tanana river, a distance of four hundred
and twelve miles. This is the exact route designated in April, 191. o, by President Wilson
for the trunk line of the government Alaska Railroad. As president of the Tanana Con-
struction Company and owner of all of its stock he built tlic first twenty miles of the
Alaska Central. He sold the Inisincss of the construction company :\ni\ llie railroad to



836- HISTORY OF SEATTLE

Canadian intere:ts in 1905 and under that control the road was extended to seventy-two
miles. Recently the United States government has purchased this road to form the first
section of its main trunk line. In 1903 Mr. Ballaine founded Seward, Alaska, and made it
the ocean terminus of the Alaska Central Railroad, while in April, 1915, President Wilson
designated the town as the Pacific ocean terminus of the government Alaska Railroad,
which will consequently make it the principal city of Alaska and one of the large cities of
the Pacific coast. Mr. Ballaine remains the owner of extensive property interests in
Seward, covering most of the town site, and he also has large mining properties in Alaska.

On the 4th of August, 1892, at Colfax, Washington, Mr. Ballaine was married to Miss
Anna Felch, a daughter of David C. and Mary S. Felch, who were Oregon pioneers of
1842 and 1852 respectively. Mr. Felch, although born in New York, was of an old Maine
family that originally settled near Portland, that state, in 1647. Mrs. Felch in her child-
hood da3's came with her parents. Mr. and Mrs. Killingsworth, from Knoxville, Tennessee,
to the northwest. To Mr. and Mrs. Ballaine have been born two daughters and a son.
Sophronia, who was born lanuary 30, 1894, and Florence, born April 2, 1896, are now
students in the University of Washington. The son, Jerrold. born February 18, 1906, is
attending the public schools. The family attend the Congregational church, of which Mrs.
Ballaine is a member.

Mr. Ballaine is a life member of the Seattle Commercial' Club and is actively inter-
ested in all of its movements and plans for the development and upbuilding of the city.
He also belongs to University Lodge, No. 141, F. & A. M., of Seattle, and to Home Camp,
W. O. W. In politics he is a progressive republican and he has also worked and voted for
prohibition. He actively upheld President Roosevelt's coal land withdrawals in Alaska
and supported the Pinchot policies as they applied to that country. He was one of the
originators of the movement to have the government build a system of government-owned
railroads in .Alaska, for which he worked in connection with others through three winters
in Washington, D. C. He is qualified to speak authoritatively upon the various questions
relating to the development, exploitation and progress of our northwest territory, for his
life work has been Alaskan development, particularly the up1)uilding of Seward and the
county tributary to the government railroad. All of the plans he has laid out for develop-
ment in Alaska he has carried through to successful completion after -much hard work and
several notable fights with opposing interests, particularly with the Alaska Syndicate, owned
by J. P. Morgan and the Guggenheim interests. His efforts have been successful and his
property holdings are now valued at about one million dollars. Moreover, knowing thor-
oughly the conditions, the resources and the opportunities of the country, he has put forth
his efforts along lines which have contributed not only to individual prosperity but have
also constituted an important element in .Maskan development.



GEORGE WILKINS SWIFT, M. D.

Dr. George Wilkins Swift, a member of the medical profession of Seattle, sjiecializing
in diseases of the eye, was born on Whidby island, August 29, 1882, a son of Captain
Tames H. and Emily C. (Wilson) Swift. The father, who was born at New Bedford, Massa-
chusetts, in 1816, came from a family of seafaring people and was master of a sailing sliip
for many years. Later he carried the first load of spars from the mills at Utsaladdy,
Washington, to France. He located on Whidby island in 1859 and represented Island county
in the territorial legislature at Olympia. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Emily
C. Wilson, was born May 24, 1841, and traced her ancestry back to the colonial period
in American history. Her parents were Samuel and Sally (Blanchard) Wilson, who were
married in 1821. The former was born April 16, 1790, at Keene, New Hampshire, and died
March 28. 1881. The latter was born March 27, 1801, and passed away August 14, i88r.
Samuel Wilson was a son of Daniel and Abigail (Morse) Wilson, the former one of the
first volunteer minutemen of the Revolutionary war. Twenty-two men under Captain
Wyman enlisted for service and were in Styles' Company at Bunker Hill. They were after-
ward transferred to a Massachusetts regiment and their identity is shown on that regiment




DR. GEORGE \V. SWIFT



'<: \






J-" u ^■"'



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 839

roll by the date of enlistment at Keene, April Ji, 1775. In the Blancliard line the ancestry
is traced back to Amasa and Edna (Norton) Blanchard, the former prominent in tlie war
for independence. It was their daughter Sally who became the wife of Samuel Wilson.
Among their children was Emily C. Wilson, the wife of Captain Tames Henry Swift.
She was born May 24, 1841, and died March 14. 1900, at Vallejo, California.

Captain James H. Swift was first married in New Bedford, IMassachusetts, and to that
union were born three children, as follows. Henry Arthur was born in Fairhaven, Massa-
chusetts, in 1847. He has the following children, Floyd and Leila. Captain Edward Alonzo
was born on Whidby island in 1862 and for many years has engaged in the steamboat busi-
ness in Alaska and on Puget Sound. He married Grace Tilton, of Seattle, and has two
children, Wendell and Alonzo. Charles Butler, who was born on Whidby island, in 1864.
for many years engaged in the lumber business in Stowe, Vermont, but in 1908 removed
to Fort Worth, Texas, to engage in stockraising. His children are George W. and Louise
Dora. By his marriage to Miss Emily C. Wilson Captain Swift had five children. Hattic
Wilson, born June 9, 1872, at Coupeville, Washington, became the wife of Francis Puget
Race on the 2d of August, 1890, and has two children : Henry Ronald, born November 29,
1891: and William Puget, born September 12, 1895. Both are now students in the Univer-
sity of Washington. Maude Maria, born September 18, 1876, married Dr. Henry C. Ful-
lington, of Johnson, Vermont, in 1895, and now lives in Seattle, Washington. They have
two children: Mary Wilkins, born May 8, 1896; and Birney Swift, born March 31, 1900.
Miles Standish was born May 16, 1878, and died in .^pril. i88o. Mary Elizabeth, born
January 30, 1881, passed away in January, 1908.

George W. Swift, the youngest of the family, became a student in the University of
Washington, from which he was graduated with the Ph. G. degree in 1901. He prepared
for the practice of medicine in the Northwestern University of Chicago, where he obtained
his M. D. degree in 1907. He then began practice in Chicago and was interne in the
Illinois Charitable Eye & Ear Infirmary in that city in 1907-8. In the latter year he was
made assistant eye surgeon and assistant pathologist in the same hospital, continuing in that
connection until 1910. He also studied to some extent in the clinics of Vienna, Austria,
in 1909 and 1910, and in the latter year he returned to the west, opening an office in
Seattle, where his practice has since been limited to diseases of the eye. He is a member



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 102 of 142)