Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 104 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 104 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Clubs. He takes a deep and helpful interest in all matters relating to the municipal wel-
fare and is widely and favorably known throughout the city in which he lias now resided
for more than a quarter of a century.



EDWARD \V. EYANSON.



Edward W. Eyanson has long been associated with the woolen industry of Washington
and is now conducting a store in Seattle devoted exclusively to the vi'holesaling and retail-
ing of woolen goods. He is proving his resourcefulness and enterprise in business through
the successful conduct of this undertaking and lias been closely associated with the business
in one phase or another since coming to Seattle in i8y2. He was born in Huntington
county. Indiana, April 5, 1864, a son of Thomas E. and Amanda Elizabeth (Branyan)
Eyanson, both of whom were natives of Pennsylvania. The father was of Welsh-English
descent, the original American ancestor coming to this country with Charles Carroll in the
early part of the seventeenth century, making settlement in Maryland. His great-great-
grandfather was a soldier in the Continental line, enlisting from New Jersey. He owned
an iron furnace near Salem, that state, and it was confiscated by the British, as the manu-
facture of iron was prohibited at that time. Successive generations of the family have
also been identified with manufacturing interests. Thomas E. Eyanson, the father, was a
manufacturer of woolen goods. He came to Seattle in 1891 at the instance of L. S. J.
Hunt and in connection with him established the Seattle Woolen Mills at Kirkland. incor-
porating in 1892, for the purpose of manufacturing woolen goods of all kinds. He was
greatly interested in historical events concerning the Revolutionary war period, and was a
member of several historical societies. He died in December, 1908, and Mrs. Eyanson,
also a representative of an old American family, of Irish descent, passed away in 1896.
She had brothers who were soldiers in the Civil war.

Edward W. Eyanson was educated in the common schools of Indiana and in Pio
Nono College, near Milwaukee, Wisconsin. His commercial training was received in the
Pierce Business College of Philadelphia, where he concluded his studies in 1882 and he
then embarked in the grain and produce business at Columbia City, Indiana, where he
remained until 1885. He then went to Chicago and was connected with the wholesale dry-
goods house of Storm & Hill at Madison and Franklin streets for about a year. Leaving
the city in 1886, he purchased an interest in the woolen mills which his father was oper-
ating in Columbia City. There he continued until 1892, when he came to Seattle and was
active in the operation of the woolen mills at Kirkland until 1895, when he disposed of his
interests there and took charge of a store that had been opened in Seattle at the time the
mill was established to sell the product, and is now the exclusive owner of the establish-
ment. He has since conducted this business and substantial success has attended his
efforts. The mill in Kirkland was the first woolen mill established in Washington and
employed about fifty people. The product was sold mostly to the eastern jobbing houses

' and was made from wool grown in Washington, the supply coming from both the eastern
and western sections of the state. The water of Lake Washington was particularly well
adapted to the scouring and coloring of the various wools because of the freedom from
impurities, which permitted the manufacture of a quality of product of at least two grades
coarser wool than could be produced by any of the eastern manufacturing houses. The

• investment in the milling plant represented about sixty-five thousand dollars in what was
known as a two set mill.



848 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

On the 14th of November, 1896, at Tacoma, Mr. Eyanson was united in marriage to
Miss Pauline A. Korbein, a daughter of a well-to-do farmer of German descent, and they
have one child, Ruth, who is attending school. In his political views Mr. Eyanson is a
republican. He was formerly quite active in party work and frequently served as a dele-
gate to county conventions. He holds membership with the Knights of Pythias and has
filled all of the offices in the local lodge. He also belongs to Camp No. 286, W. O. W., to
the Modern Woodmen, the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Sons of the
American Revolution. These, however, are but side issues to the more important features
of his life, and his business as a wholesale woolen merchant has placed him among the
active representatives of trade interests in the northwest.



PATRICK MICHAEL TAMMANY.

Patrick Michael Tammany, attorney at law, was born at Sentinel Butte, North Dakota,
September 6, 1887, the only child of Patrick and Anna (Derrig) Tammany. The father,
a native of Minnesota, removed to North Dakota during the early '80s. He ha? always
followed railroad construction and is now with the Copper River & Northwestern Railroad
at Cordova, Alaska, but maintains his residence in Seattle, the family becoming residents
of Washington in 1894. They originally settled at Sumner and a decade later took up their
abode in Seattle. Mrs. Tammany, also a native of Minnesota, is a daughter of Michael
Derrig, one of the pioneer agriculturists of that state. In both the paternal and maternal
lines Patrick M. Tammany comes of Irish ancestry. His maternal grandfather. Michael
Derrig, was the founder of the American branch of that family and his paternal grandfather,
Patrick Tammany, was the first of the name to come to the new world.

Patrick M. Tammany was a little lad at the time of the removal to W^ashington and in
the public schools of Lester he pursued his early education, which was supplemented by a
course in the University of Washington, from which he was graduated in 1909 with the
A. B. degree. He then continued his studies in preparation for the bar and won the LL. B.
degree in 191 1. Following the completion of his law course in the State University he
entered upon active practice and for three months was associated with the firm of Reynolds,
Ballinger & Hutson. At the end of that time he began practicing independently and has
since built up a satisfactory clientage. He is a member of the Seattle and State Bar Asso-
ciations and enjoys the confidence and goodwill of colleagues and contemporaries.

On the 15th of February, 191 5, Mr. Tammany was married in the cathedral at Seattle
to Miss Florence Mariette Smith, a daughter of Ferdinand Benjamin and Katherine (Mc-
Dermott) Smith, both of whom are now deceased. They were an old pioneer family of
this part of the state and Mrs. Tammany was born in Seattle, July 2, 1893.

Mr. Tammany belongs to two college fraternities, the Delta Tau Delta, of which for
two years he was president, and the Phi Delta Phi, of which he has also been president.
He likewise held membership in the Oral Club, an upper class university society, and while
pursuing his studies he was very active in all college affairs. In politics he has ever been a
republican, always active in party work, doing everything in his power to promote the
growth and insure the success of the organization. He has never sought political prefer-
ment, however, his activity being prompted by a firm belief in the party principles. He is
serving on the executive committee of the Young Men's Republican Club and he is active
in all civic afifairs. His religious faith is that of the Roman Catholic church and he belongs
also to the Knights of Columbus. He is likewise a member and president of the Young
Men's Business Club, of which he was one of the organizers, this being the only organiza-
tion of the kind in the country. In this connection a short sketch of the club cannot fail
to prove of interest.

The Young Men's Business Club of Seattle is now entering upon the fourth year of
its existence. In common with the record of most organizations of business men, the idea
which gave rise to its birth was launched at a lunch table patronized by the few men who
later became charter members of the club. Most organizations of business men, commercial
bodies, leagues, etc., many of them very powerful, have had the same origin. From con-



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 849

tinued association at the lunch table of thinking men, whether young or old, representing a
common standard in the community in which they are actively engaged, invariably springs
the idea of the power of organization. It is the old parable of the single fibers weak; and
the combined which forms the cable, strong. So it was that the idea of the Young Men's
Business Club was launched. During the fall of the year 191 1 a few of the younger men
engaged in business in the city of Seattle decided from time to time upon a common
meeting place for lunch. To these little meetings now and then a friend was added.
Presently a community of interest was formed around these young men and there came for
the first time the question of organizing. This they did with C. H. Moers at the head and
with a regular meeting place at the Arctic Club. Here every Thursday there assembled ten
or twelve of the younger business men of the city, who called themselves, without a very
definite idea of its meaning, the Young Men's Business Club. While being mainly social
in its activities, still many splendid ideas were launched for a broader scope of activity.
Finally in the fall of 1912 there came a crystallization of the broader purposes of the
organization of the younger men of the city, combining not only the better ideas of
sociability but the founding of a definite place in the city's activities for an organization
composed entirely of young men. With this crystallization a committee was elected com-
posed of E. M. Osborne, S. G. Lamping, William J. Coyle, Dr. W. C. Kantner and P. M.
Tammany to redraft the by-laws. This committee's work finished and approved, Dr. W. C.
Kantner was elected president, R. S. Drake immediately took over the duties of secretary
and compiled for the first time a permanent record of the club's activities. The permanent
character of the club probably dates from this period. As an evidence of the newer policy
of the club the name was changed to the Young Men's Business Club of Seattle. The
club's policy has been to make of the young men engaged in business in Seattle an organized
power for the betterment of civic, industrial and commercial activities of the city. Much
favorable attention has been had in the past. The club is now permanent and is better and
stronger today than at any time in its history. Its percentage of attendance at meetings
is higher than that of any other club in the city. Its activities have become a matter of
interest to the press. The club has a high mission in making the younger men of the city
a power toward the city's good. Truly it were a splendid thing for a young man on the
threshold of his business career to belong to an organization composed of his fellows hav-
ing a common goal in working for better government, better conditions surrounding busi-
ness and industry and a better opportunity to become an active factor in the city's progress.
Aside from his active work as a member of the above mentioned organization Mr. Tam-
many is secretary of the University Commercial Club, of which he was one of the organ-
izers. In a word, his activities are broad and varied and touch the general interests of
society in a helpful way. He stands for progress and improvement at all times and has
manifested a helpful attitude toward many plans and projects for the public good. He has
enterprise and executive ability and, moreover, he has attractive social qualities which
render him popular and make him a leader in the various organizations with which he is
connected.



JESSE AARON JACKSON.



Jesse Aaron Jackson, who since 1004 has been chief of the computing branch of the
engineering department of the city of Seattle, was born at Neodesha, Kansas, October 28,
1877, a son of Jesse Peter and Rose Ellen Jackson, the latter born of French parentage.
The father is a farmer by occupation and a veteran of the Civil war, having served with
the Union army. In 1882 he removed from Kansas to the northwest. He was a native of
Virginia and came of ancestry that was represented in the Revolutionary war and in the
War of 1812.

In the public schools of this state Jesse A. Jackson pursued his early education, which
was supplemented by further study in the Washington State College and in the University
of Washington. His early life was spent upon his father's farm with the usual environ-
ment and experiences of the farm lad, and after taking up his abode in Seattle he was first
employed in rubbing stones on the building at Second avenue. South, and Jackson street.



850 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

He started actively in engineering work on the Lake Washington canal in 1900, acting as
inspector on the iirst work there done. He has been identified with the engineering depart-
ment of the city of Seattle since 1902 and since 1904 has occupied the position of chief of
the computing department. That he is capable, faithful, efficient and reliable is indicated
in the fact that he has been continuously connected with the department for thirteen years.

On the 7th of October, 1902, in Seattle, Washington, Mr. Jackson was united in mar-
riage to Miss Lydia Marie Agutter, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James J. Agutter. who
emigrated to Canada from London in the early '80s and soon thereafter settled at Puget
Sound. The father was one of the first to go to Alaska at the time of the gold excitement.
Mr. and Mrs. Jackson have one daughter, Ruth Evelyn.

In his political views Mr. Jackson is a democrat, but not an active party worker. His
military experience covers seven years' service in the National. Guard of Washington, the
last four years being spent as first lieutenant in the signal corps. His religious faith is
that of the Presbyterian church, in which he holds membership. In Masonic circles he is
prominent and widely known. He served as master of Green Lake Lodge, No. 149, F. &
A. M., and has been its secretary continuously since 1910. He also belongs to Oriental
Chapter, No. 19, R. A. M., and to the Lodge of Perfection of the Scottish Rite, while in
1914 he was patron of Aloha Chapter, No. 116, O. E. S. He belongs to the Automobile
Club of Seattle, is a member of the Pacific Northwest Society of Engineers, of which he
has been secretary since 191 1, and is an associate member of the American Society of
Civil Engineers. His ability in the line of his profession is indicated in the office which
he holds in the Pacific Northwest Society of Engineers and his place in that organization
is also indicative of social qualities which have won him warm friends. For seventeen
years he has been a resident of Seattle and has been closely connected with all the impor-
tant improvements of the city, having been in the engineer's office for thirteen years.



JOHN MATHEW MEYER, M. D.

Dr. John Mathew IMeyer of this review has the distinction of being one of the ablest
oral surgeons of the day. As the foundation for his practice he gained a comprehensive
knowledge of medicine and dentistry, together with private instruction from men of inter-
national reputation. He is a firm believer that the specialist in any field should have as
liberal training in the general field as if preparing for general work, supplemented by
all that development of the special subject will afford.

He was born at Canton, Stark county, Ohio, October 7, 1865. After mastering the
branches of learning taught in the public schools of Canton, Ohio, Dr. Meyer entered the
medical and dental departments of Central University of Kentucky, from which he graduated
in June. 1890. During his college work in Central University he earned four first honor
prizes. The first, a scholarship won during the freshmen year, exempted him from the
payment of tuition and other fees during the lialance of his course. His final examination
in all departments, both theoretical and practical, averaged above ninety per cent. This
general standing gave him the honor of having the word "distinguished" inscribed across
the face of his diploma. At the completion of his college career he was awarded first honor
medal for highest standing in theoretical work and the first honor medal for operative
and mechanical ability. In the intervening years to the present he has devoted himself to
this special work and has a remarkable record of successful operations, including diseases,
injuries and malformations of the mouth, jaws and associated parts. His clinical records
show many cases of the most difficult and delicate operations known to surgery, including
a long list of hare lips and cleft palates successfully restored, operations of neurectomy,
for the relief of obscure cases of neuralgia of the facial region. Bone lesions furnish an
interesting study, many of which are unique — osseous disintegration and necrosis often
complicated by systematic derangement of serious character, entirely dependent upon local
conditions. In the list we find fracture of the jaws — one case sixteen separate lines of
fracture involving the superior and inferior maxillary bones, complicated by bilateral



\




DR. JOHN M. MEYER



i'ui' - ^






..VTA )-s.r,>.-:i AM»



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 853

dislocation of the heads of the lower jaw, the result of the victim being struck by a
broken sprocket chain in a lumber mill ; dislocations, ankylosis, diseases of the tongue,
glands, teeth and gums, the maxillary sinus, including almost if not all of the many dis-
orders with which this antrum of Highmore is affected.

After completion of his college courses in Louisville, Kentucky, he removed to Canton,
Ohio, where he remained in practice from 1891 until 1895, and following the death of two
brothers and a cousin he came west, spending six months in traveling over the Pacific
coast country and Alaska. In September, 189S, he accepted the position of lecturer and
demonstrator in the Tacoma College of Dental Surgery located at Tacoma, Washington.
Tlie i)rospects for the new school were bright, only one other institution of the kind being
located in the west. In the mid-session he was elected dean of the faculty, to reconstruct
the faculty and curriculum to conform with the requirements of the National Association of
Dental Faculties, which was necessary to secure recognition of the institution's diploma
before the holder was eligible to take the various state board examinations. In this task he
was successful and at its completion the college rating was on a par with the oldest and
best in this country. He says, "this was the hardest job and created more personal enemies
than any other before or since," but his motto was "that an educational institution can
only be judged by its product and as a consequence much weeding and driving was neces-
sary, and when anything fell down it lit on me." Dr. Meyer remained as dean from
1895 until 1898 inclusive. In the latter year the Tacoma and the Oregon Dental Colleges
consolidated under the name of the North Pacific College of Dental Surgery, to be located
at Portland, Oregon. He remained in Tacoma, turning his attention to private practice,
continuing from 1898 until 1905. In the latter year he accepted the position of professor
of oral surgery and topographical anatomy in the Portland college, acting in that position
for three years.

In the fall of 1908 he removed to Seattle, which city had been his objective since
liis sojourn in the west. Since this time he has engaged in private practice in his special
work. At the present time he is operating surgeon to the Hospital of Oral Surgery and
Dental Hygiene, a private institution of Seattle, Washington. In this enterprise he is
associated with Dr. George W. Stryker.

His father, Joseph A. Meyer, was born on a farm in Stark county, Ohio. He served
an apprenticeship as silversmith in Nashville, Tennessee, and afterward conducted a jewelry
store in Canton, Ohio, for thirty-five years. He served in the Civil war as regimental
quartermaster, enlisting from Ohio, while later he served in the same capacity in the Ohio
National Guards. At the time of his death he was the owner of valuable real estate in
Canton and the summer resort known as Meyer's Lake, situated midway between Canton
and Massillon, Ohio. This latter property had been in the family for four generations, with
only one transfer from the original government grant, and comprised thousands of acres, at
that time one of the best agricultural districts in the United States. He married Caroline
Bleck, a daughter of Charles Bleck, D. D. She was born at Salem, North Carolina, where
her father had charge of the Moravian Seminary. Traveling on horseback, accompanied
by his daughter Caroline, he made his way to Ohio, traveling through hostile Indian dis-
tricts. Arriving safely at their destination. Dr. Bleck took charge of a mission, where he
remained until the time of his death. Following her father's death Miss Bleck removed
to Canal Dover, Tuscarawas county, Ohio, to reside with relatives. During her stay at
Canal Dover she was employed as teacher in the high school and gave music lessons. She
was married to Joseph A. Meyer during her stay in Canal Dover and later they removed
to Canton. She was an accomplished musician, gave piano lessons and was organist for
the English Lutheran church of Canton. In memory of her devotion to church work a
memorial window was placed in the church after her death. She was the mother of five
- children : Frank C, Joseph A., Jr., John M., Winnifred and Caroline. The daughters,
Winnifred and Caroline, are both married, the former living at Boston and the latter in
New York city. Frank C. Meyer, the oldest son, after graduating from the Canton high
school, became associated with his father in the jewelry store. He was an enthusiastic
oarsman. He was the founder of the Eclipse Boat Club with headquarters at Meyer's
Lake. He attended many of the big regattas, east and west, and held valuable trophies
won in these events. He had military training in the Ohio National Guard, where he ad-



854 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

vanced to lieutenant's rank when his enlistment ran out. He was born October 24, 1854,
and died at Canton, Ohio, March 20, 1894.

Joseph A. Meyer, Jr., after graduating from the high school of Canton, Ohio, pursued
a course in designing and engraving in New York city, after which he went abroad to com-
plete his musical education, violin and viola being his ambition. He completed the general
course in harmony and graduated from the Conservatory of Music, Leipzig, Germany.
Music was to be his pastime, not a profession, so when he returned to America he entered
the Massachusetts School of Technology at Boston, from which institution he graduated.
His efforts in the architectural department earned him a three years' scholarship to travel
in Europe, Asia and Africa, at the school's expense. Original India ink and water colors
produced by him on this mission are still on exhibition at the Massachusetts School of
Technology. At the close of his travels, on his way home, he was stricken with fever in
Asia Minor and died at the residence of Dr. John Sondberg, United States consul at
Bagdad, December 20, 1894. Together with his brother Frank he was a lover of aquatic
sports. His greatest success was the winning of the single scull, mile and one-half, at
Passaic, New Jersey, in 1880, under the supervision of the American Rowing Association.

Francis Meyer, grandfather of Dr. J. M. Meyer, was a native of Baltimore, Maryland,
His father and an uncle were military attaches on Napoleon's staff and at the fall of the
French emperor escaped to America, where they located in Baltimore, constructed ship
yards and a brass foundry. In the War of 1812 they furnished a number of ships to
serve privateers. Francis Meyer came to Ohio with his father shortly after the War of
1812, locating in Stark county. During the Civil war he served four years as commander
of artillery^ was with Sherman's army and had charge of mortar batteries during the siege of
Vicksburg. After the war he held federal positions at Washington, D. C, and was one
of the structural supervisors of the United States treasury building.

Dr. Meyer has been married twice. His first wife died following an operation, leaving
two children, Ralph J. and Clara L. His second family consisted of four boys : Harry M.,
John M., Jr., Joseph A. and Morris M., three of whom reside with their parents at Seattle,
Washington. John M., Jr., is in the United States navy, serving on the signal bridge of



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 104 of 142)