Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 105 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 105 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the admiral's flag ship of the Pacific fleet. At the completion of his apprentice seamanship
duties at the Naval Training Station, San Francisco, he was awarded the Bailey medal for
the Pacific coast, the highest honor attainable by an apprentice seaman. Harry M. is an
understudy of his father. Joseph and Alorris are attending grammar school.

Dr. Meyer started out to earn his own way when a youth of sixteen years and began
his professional studies under the preceptorship of Dr. C. A. Dougherty of Canton, Ohio.
Since that time he has steadily advanced along professional lines and his ability has placed
him in a position of leadership in the field of his specialty. In fact he is one of the
foremost representatives of his line of professional activity in the country and his opinions
are regarded as authoritative in his chosen field. His knowledge is most comprehensive
and his skill of the highest order, for he keeps in touch with the most advanced scientific
developments of the profession and his sound and discriminating judgment directs his
utilization of these in his practice.



SYDNEY MARSHALL.



Sydney Marshall, conducting an investment business with offices in the Railway
Exchange building, was born October 12, 1850, at Frankfort, Kentucky, his parents being
J. F. and Betty (Sydney) Marshall, also natives of Kentucky, where the father conducted
business as a planter and contractor. He served in the Confederate army during the Civil
war, joining General Morgan's command. He remained with the southern troops until the
surrender of General Lee. His health was greatly affected by the rigors and hardships of
war, and he passed away in 1868, his wife surviving until 1871.

Sidney Marshall, the eldest of their family, was sent to Germany at the time of the
Civil war and there pursued his education in a military academy, remaining in school in
that country from 1861 until 1867. In the latter year he returned to the new world and



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 855

made his way to the frontier of New Mexico and of Arizona, where he engaged in pros-
pecting for minerals and also did an engineering business until 1884. In that year he
became connected with the Atlas Engineering Works of Indianapolis, Indiana, with which
he was identified until 1908, becoming manager of agencies and also having other duties in
connection with the business. During tliat period he spent nine years in New Orleans as a
representative of the company.

Mr. Marshall's residence in Seattle dates from 1908, in which year he became identified
with the bond and public utilities company of which he is now one of the leading stock-
holders. He is also the president of the Monroe Water Company, is president of the
Prince William Sound Water, Power, Light & Telephone Company, which operates plants
at Valdez, Alaska, and is also a member of the old firm of John Goodfellow & Son. He
is a prominent representative of tlie investment business at Seattle and thoroughly under-
stands every phase of it.

In 1886 Mr. Marshall was united in marriage in New Orleans to Miss Jennie H.
Adams, a daughter of Francis Adams, who was a cotton merchant of that city, and a
granddaughter of General Villere, who was the last governor of Louisiana territory under
French rule. Mr. and Mrs. Marshall have but one child, a daughter, Rachel E., who
attended the Sacred Heart Convent in New Orleans, and also the Sophie Newcomb School,
a branch of the Tulane University of New Orleans, after which she spent three years as a
student in the University of 'U'ashington. She is a most successful playwright, and several
of her plays have been produced both in the east and in the west.

In politics Mr. Marshall is independent, voting according to the dictates of his judg-
ment. He is a member of the Arctic Club and of the Commercial Club, and cooperates
heartily in all plans and movements for the upbuilding and benefit of the city, where he
has ranked as a successful and enterprising business man since 1908. His salient char-
acteristics are such as make for success and with the passing years his labors, directed by
sound judgment and keen intelligence, have enabled him to advance step by step until he
now occupies an enviable position.



FRANK H. HOLZHEIMER.

Frank H. Holzheimer, president and manager of the Hotel Sorrento Company, has
turned from a professional career to enter upon the activities which now claim his atten-
tion, and in tliis connection is conducting one of the finest hotels of the northwest. Hotel
Sorrento is a delight to every traveler who visits it, affording everything that is best and
most desirable in hotel service and accommodations. .\s manager Mr. Holzheimer adheres
to the highest standards and his capable control and farsighted business discernment are
the salient elements of his growing success.

Mr. Holzheimer was born in Lewiston, New York, .'\ugust 4. 1867, a son of Christopher
and Mary (Cornell) Holzheimer. They removed to Saginaw, Michigan, during the early
boyhood of their son, Frank H., and there the father built a hotel, which he conducted
successfully for many years. Frank H. Holzheimer attended the public and high schools
of that city until he was fifteen years of age, \yhen he went to Bloomington, Illinois, and
spent one year as a student in the Wesleyan University, after which he made his way
westward to Salt Lake City, Utah, and started upon his active business career in connection
with the engineering department of the Rio Grande W'estern Railroad. He afterward be-
came claim, tax and right of way agent for the same company, spending five years with
that corporation, after which he returned to the east and became a student in the University
of Michigan at Ann Arbor, pursuing a law course and graduating with the LL. B. degree
in i8g6. He afterward returned to Utah and practiced law in Eureka and in Salt Lake
City until 1902, dividing his time between the two places. In the year mentioned he removed
to Pocatello, Idaho, where he followed his profession until 1907, when he came to Seattle
and opened a law office, remaining in active practice here until 1909. He then went to
Vancouver, British Columbia, as manager of the Fidelity Trust & Savings Company and
in 1913 he made his way to London, England, to open an office for that company, remaining



856 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

abroad as manager in the world's metropolis for seven months. He then resigned and
came to Seattle, where he entered business life as president and manager of the Hotel
Sorrento Company. As a boy he was associated with his father in the conduct of the latter's
hotel and thus acquired a familiarity with the business which has been of great advantage
to him in his present capacity. The Hotel Sorrento is a most beautiful structure both in
its exterior and interior finishing. The building is owned by Samuel Rosenberg, who spent
two years abroad gathering ideas for its construction, and different parts of the building
represent almost every nation in the world. The furnishings, which are mostly solid
mahogany, cost sixty thousand dollars. The hotel contains one hundred and fifty rooms,
all outside rooms. It is situated on First Hill, a fashionable residential district, yet within
five minutes' walk of the heart of the city. The hotel was opened March i, 1909, is equipped
with every known convenience and is conducted in a manner that insures the greatest com-
fort to guests. The lobby is a spacious room, octagonal in shape, finished in mahogany,
with a large Rookwood open fireplace, easy chairs, davenports, writing tables, telephone
booths and office, making it an ideal lounging place. The ladies' parlor is furnished in the
style of the Louis XVI period, with delicate colorings in Rose du Barry, artistically designed
and arranged by a noted New York decorator. The suites consist of parlor, bedroom and
bathroom, large, airy and light, tastefully fitted with mahogany furniture of the latest de-
signs. The dining room is located on the top floor, where guests are served with the best
the market affords. It has a seating capacity of three hundred and is constructed without
interior supports or pillars, making it a most desirable ballroom for select private parties,
banquets and receptions. A magnificent view of Puget Sound and the snow-capped Ol.vmpic
mountains makes this the most attractive dining room on the Pacific coast.

In 1889 at Pocatello, Idaho, Mr. Holzheimer was married to Miss Lela Ashton, a daugh-
ter of Maurice Ashton, of Idaho. They have two children. Merle S., who is in the United
States navy; and Frank W., a senior in Broadway high school.



JOHN D. WENGER.



John D. Wenger, vice president of the Puget Sound Marble & Granite Company and
also president of the King County Democratic Club, indicating two of the lines along
which his intense activity is accomplishing substantial and gratifying results, was born in
Washington, Tazewell county, Illinois, November 5, 1S72. His father, John W. \\'enger,
was a native of Virginia and for twenty years filled the office of sheriff of Shenandoah
county. He was of German descent. His ancestors for political reasons were driven out of
Switzerland and later from Germany and they sought the liberty and opportunities of the
new world, coming to the United States with William Penn. John D. Wenger now has in
his possession a copy of the deed given to his ancestor who first settled in this country
by William Penn. In the early part of the eighteenth century a branch of the family was
established in Virginia and at the time of the Revolutionary war sent representatives to
aid in winning national independence. John W. Wenger was united in marriage to Susan
J. Cress, a native of Illinois. Her father was county treasurer of Tazewell county, that
state, for many years and her uncles were large stock owners in Illinois. Soon after the
birth of John D. Wenger his father returned with the family to Virginia and, as previously
stated, was called to the office of sheriff, in which he served until a year prior to his death,
which occurred in 1910. He long survived his wife, who passed away in 1877.

John D. Wenger was educated in the common schools of Woodstock, Virginia, and
in the college at Stanton, Virginia, concluding his studies in 1892. After leaving school he
filled the office of deputy sheriff for a considerable time under his father and then went
to Washington, D. C, from which point he started out upon the road as a traveling sales-
man. Subsequently he removed to New York, where he engaged in the brokerage business,
and while making his home in the eastern metropolis he traveled extensively over the
country. The knowledge which he acquired concerning the northwest and its opportunities
led him to make Seattle his home in 1904 and here he embarked in the mercantile brokerage
business. In the fall of 1908 he purchased an interest in the Puget Sound Marble & Granite



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 857

Company, with whicli he is still connected as its vice president. This company has sold
and erected some of the largest and most imposing monuments in the Seattle cemeteries.
Independent of his commercial connections Mr. Wenger has important land interests in
Seattle and in business affairs he has displayed sound judgment, keen sagacity and unfalter-
ing enterprise.

In 1905 Mr. Wenger was united in marriage to Miss Zitella May Gwin, of San Rafael,
California, a native of Kansas and a daughter of a retired farmer now residing in Chilli-
cothe, Missouri. She was engaged in educational work prior to her marriage. She traces
her ancestry back to those who served in the American war for independence. Mr. and
Mrs. Wenger have two children, Thelma and Dorothea Davis.

Mr. Wenger was for three years a member of the Second Virginia Regiment of the
National Guard. The only public office he has held was that of deputy sheriff, for he has
refused to become a candidate for office since that time and has discouraged his appoint-
ment to public positions, although he has been very prominent in the democratic party, his
activity beginnmg by his support of W. J. Bryan. He has represented his party in all of
the various conventions of county and state since coming to Washington and he was the
unanimous choice for president of the King County Democratic Club, which has a mem-
bership of more than five thousand. He had previously served as its secretary and had
become very prominent as an active worker in the party in city and state. After the nomi-
nation of Woodrow Wilson for president he organized a Woodrow Wilson Club in Ballard,
where he and his supporters did most able work not only for the heads of the ticket but
for every man on the democratic ticket. Mr. Wenger is widely recognized as a most
capable leader and organizer and as president of the King County Democratic Club he has,
by reason of the absolute fairness and impartiality with which he has conducted its interests,
made a host of friends among the local democrats as well as among the many visitors who
Iiave been entertained by the club during his term of office. He has made this in spirit as
well as in name a democratic organization.

In fraternal circles, too, Mr. Wenger is prominent and well known. He is a past coun-
cil commander of Home Camp of the Woodmen of the World and past council commander
of Washington Camp, W. O. W. In fact he has held every position of honor in that
order in the state. He belongs also to the Modern Woodmen and the Women of Wood-
craft and was one of the fathers of Tyee Lodge, K. P., which he has served as vice
chancellor, and he presented tlie flag to the lodge at its institution. He holds membership
in Local No. 7, Home Owners, and is always the chairman of its public meetings. He is
also a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He is always in the front in
public matters relating to the improvement of the city at large and to the north end of
Seattle in particular, and he is a most active and helpful member of the Commercial Club.



G. WEIBEL.



G. Weibel is at the head of the Weibel Roofing & Cornice Works, which business was
established in i88g. For many years he has been identified with his present line of business
activity and has made steady progress, each forward step bringing him broader outlook
and wider opportunities. Not all days in his career have been equally bright. In fact he
has seen the gathering of storm clouds threatening disaster, but his resolute spirit has
enabled him to overcome difficulty and adversity and in his vocabulary there is no such
word as fail. Along well defined lines of labor he has reached the goal of success.

Mr. Weibel is a native of Switzerland, born August 21, 1859, his parents being John
and Anna Weibel, both of whom have now passed away. They never left their native
Switzerland and tlie mother's death there occurred in 1894, when she was sixty years of
age, while the father died in igii at the ripe old age of eighty-six years.

Reared in his native country, G. Weibel was a young man of twenty-one years when
he sailed for the new world, crossing the Atlantic in 1880. He learned the metal and
roofing business in Basel, Switzerland, receiving a silver medal as cornice maker or tin-
smith from the mechanical technical school of that city. The business now conducted



,858 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

under the name of the Weibel Roofing & Cornice Works was established in 1889. Mr.
Weibel was associated with C. B. Smith and Jack Richards in The Pacific Roofing &
Cornice Company, which was incorporated. Before he consolidated his interests with
those of C. B. Smith and organized The Pacific Roofing & Cornice Company, he had
conducted the Puget Sound Sheet Metal Works. The Pacific Roofing & Cornice Com-
pany was organized in 1899 and operated under the name for about a year and a half,
when Mr. Weibel withdrew and went to Alaska, there establishing the Arctic Sheet
Metal Works at Nome. He sold out his plant there in 1904 to Oscar Witt and re-
turned to Seattle, after which he lived retired from active business for about a year.
He then went to Bellingham, Washington, where he established the Sound Roofing Com-
pany, operating a plant there until the spring of 1907, when he sold out to Emil Gyger
and returned to Seattle. Here he again operated under the name of the Sound Roofing
& Cornice Works, at First and Cedar street, continuing under that name until 1908, when
he changed the name to the Weibel Roofing & Cornice Works and removed to his present
location at No. 1306 Eighth avenue South, where he owns a building and plant, which
represents an investment of twenty thousand dollars. Mr. Weibel was not among those
who made a fortune in Alaska. In fact he returned from that country empty handed, as
many others had done, and faced the necessity of starting all over again. Being a man of
strong purpose, determined will and indefatigable energy, he has made good. He not only
at the outset faced the business world without capital, but had to compete with a strong
association that demanded of him one thousand dollars or that he quit business, but he
fought this association and through his strength of character and his ability won out
against opposition under which most men would have gone down to defeat.

On the 6th of November, 1912. Mr. Weibel was united in marriage to Miss Christina
Closter, a native of Germany. Fraternally Mr. Weibel is well known. He belongs to
Whatcom Lodge, No. 151, F. & A. M., at Bellingham; Oriental Chapter, No. 19, R. A. M. ;
Seattle Council, R. & S. M. ; Seattle Commandery, No. 2, K. T. ; and Nile Temple, A. A.
lO. N. M. S., of Seattle. He also has membership with Germania Lodge, No. 102, L O. O.
F., and Tribe No. 25, of the Improved Order of Red Men. He likewise belongs to Queen
City Lodge, No. 10, Knights of Pythias, and is a life member of the Arctic Club. He has
never had occasion to regret his resolve to try his fortune in the new world, for here he
found good opportunities and in their utilization has worked his way steadily upward.
He met with reverses in Alaska, but he did not allow this to discourage him, and as the
j'ears have passed he has overcome the difficulties and obstacles which he met and stands
today among those who have made industry, perseverance and honorable dealing the
foundation of substantial success.



MALCOLM D. STEWART.



The name of Malcolm D. Stewart is interwoven with the historj' of Seattle, for he
was most active in church work here. In a word, his cooperation could always be counted
upon to further measures and movements for the general good. He was born in Scotland,
in 1827, and in 1831 accompanied his parents on their emigration from the land of hills
and heather to the new world, the family home being established in Ontario, Canada. It
was in that country that he was educated and he had passed the half century mark
when he became identified with the northwest, taking up his abode in Mason county,
Washington, in 1883. There he began farming, first homesteading a tract of land but
later he bought more and to this added from time to time as his financial resources
increased until his property holdings were extensive. With the advance of time, too, his
property increased in valuation, owing to the growth in population bringing about a greater
demand for land and also owing to the improvements which he placed upon his property.
He possessed skill as a carpenter and in that capacity he assisted in building the first hotel
in Tacoma. He was continually identified with agricultural interests until 1898, when he
came to Seattle to reside permanently and retire from active business. He erected a fine
residence in the city and his remaining days were spent in the enjoyment of -well earned




MALCOLM D. STEWART



,C(j..-



,\k^<t \






HISTORY OF SEATTLE 861

rest. During the early period of his residence in Mason county he filled various offices.
It was then a new district and thinly settled and as each one had to do his share in public
work. Mr. Stewart was always ready and willing to help.

In Canada, in 1856, Mr. Stewart was united in marriage to Miss Ann Nicholson, who
was born in Scotland, and they became the parents of ten children, of whom nine are yet
living : Mrs. W. R. Thompkins, a resident of Seattle ; Mrs. W. T. Rowe, living in Puyallup.
Washington; Angus L. of St. Paul; Mrs. H. H. McDermid, of Grant, Washington; Donald
E. and Kenneth N., both making their home in Seattle; Mrs. L. D. Bybee, of Tacoma ; and
Alary and Jessie M., both at home.

Mr. Stewart was a Presbyterian in early years but later united with the Methodist
churcli and aided in building both of the Methodist Episcopal churches located in Fremont.
He was always very active in church work, being a devout Christian man and other things
were put aside if their performance would have prevented what he considered doing his
duty in regard to the upbuilding of the church. He always endeavored to follow the golden
rule and his life of integrity and uprightness commanded for him the respect of all and
enabled him to leave his family tlie priceless heritage of an untarnished name.



CHESTER A. NORTOX.



Chester A. Norton, sales manager for the Westinghouse Lamp Company, in charge
of all outside territory in western Washington, was born in Carthage, Missouri. October
24, 1890, and is a son of Frederick Burke and Emma Elizabeth Norton. The father was
born in Indiana but is now living in Carthage, Missouri, at the age of fifty-si.K years. The
mother, a native of Kansas, died in 1900, at the age of thirty years.

Chester A. Norton was at that time but ten years old. He came to Seattle in 1905,
when a youth of fifteen years, and for one year was connected with the firm of Frederick
& Nelson. He afterward went to sea, spending nearly three years in that capacity, and
on the expiration of that period, or in the summer of 1909. he became connected with the
Westinghouse Electric Company, the Seattle branch of the Westingliouse Electric & Manu-
facturing Company, of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He was appointed to the position of
correspondent and afterward was transferred to the sales department and now has charge
of all outside territory in western W'ashington. His enterprise, ainlity and progressive
spirit are elements in the constant growth of the business.

On the 12th of November, 1908, Mr. Norton was united in marriage to Miss Francis
E. Fritschie, by whom he has a son, Frederick, born in Seattle, December 17, 1909. Mr.
Norton is a young man but already has made for himself a creditable place in business
circles of Seattle, wimiing his laurels and his success as the result of close application and
indefatigable energy.



ALFRED FENTON NICHOLS.

Alfred Fenton Nichols is one who takes no pessimistic view of life. He has found
that the road of opportunity is open to all and, notwithstanding that others have been more
advantageously equipped at the outset of their careers, he has, nevertheless, distanced
many of these and feels that he has no cause for complaint, for he is today successfully
engaged in the real-estate business, enjoying the opportunities and advantages offered in an
enterprising, growing western city. Industry and ability have brought him to the front
and gained for him the respect and goodwill of those with whom he has been associated.
He was born in Watertown, Wisconsin, January 20, 1848, a son of Asher H. and Harriett
B. Nichols. His father, a native of Springfield, Massachusetts, became one of the pioneer
settlers of Wisconsin, where he took up his abode in 1832, when that district was still a
part of the northwest territory. His wife was born in Maine.

In the common schools of his native town Alfred Fenton Nichols pursued his educa-

Vol. Ill— 3S



862 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

tion and in early manhood became connected with mercantile interests, in which line he
directed his activities for twenty years in Wisconsin and Minnesota. He started without
any assistance from his parents, save the early training which they had given him that
developed in him habits of industry and integrity — two very substantial qualities on which
to build success. In 1879 he turned his attention to the real estate bvisiness in Minneapolis
and in 1888 he came to Washington, settling at Chelan, where he built a lumber mill and
general store. He conducted business along those lines and also operated the first steam-
boat on Lake Chelan. In 1903 he came to Seattle and engaged in the real estate business.
In the years which have since elapsed he has secured a large clientage and his efforts have



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 105 of 142)