Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 107 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 107 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

of Civil Engineers.


Hon. John Beard Allen, lawyer and lawmaker, left the impress of his individuality
u])on the legal history of the state and upon the statutes which came into existence through
congressional enactment. Nature endowed him with keen mentality and he used his talents
wisely and well not only for his own advancement but also for the benefit of state and
nation. He practiced for a considerable period as a member of the firm of Struve. Allen,
Hughes & McMicken, which firm occupied a commanding position at the Seattle bar.

The birth of John Beard Allen occurred in Crawfordsville. Indiana, May 18, 184.=;, and
his ancestral history was traced back to England. The progenitor of the family in the
new world settled in Pennsylvania during the early period of the colonization of tliat
state. The family were members of the Society of Friends, or Quakers, and upri.ght pur-


pose and public spirit were salient characteristics among them. Joseph S. Allen, the great-
grandfather of John B. Allen, became a pioneer resident of Indiana and was prominently
connected with milling and manufacturing interests in that state. He was the father of
Joseph Shepherd Allen, a native of Pennsylvania, who accompanied his parents to Indiana
and was liberally educated. He became very skillful in the profession of civil engineering
and surveyed many of the national roads through the middle west. The valuable contribu-
tion of the Allen family to the development of Indiana was continued by Joseph S. Allen,
who was the third to bear the name and who was the father of John B. Allen. Born in
Indiana in 1814, he took up the practice of medicine and surgery and following the inaugura-
tion of the Civil war secured the commission of surgeon of the Tenth Indiana Volunteer
Infantry. During part of the time he was attached to the Fourth Brigade under General
Thomas. When the country no longer needed his professional service he became a resident
of Rochester, Minnesota, where he practiced medicine for several years and then removed
to Washington. In his later years his professional duties were terminated by a stroke of
paralysis and he passed away in 1874 at the age of sixty years. He always kept in touch
with the advancement made by his professional contemporaries and colleagues and his life
work was of signal service to his fellowmen. He belonged to the Presbyterian church and
his life measured up to the highest standards. In early manhood he wedded Miss Hannah
Cloud Beard, a native of Indiana and a daughter of the Hon. John Beard, who was closely
identified with the organization and promotion of nearly all of the public institutions in
that state. For three decades he represented his district in the general assembly, either as
a member of the house or the senate, and largely aided in shaping the legislation during tliat
period. He aided largely in establishing the institution for the deaf and blind and his
work was of the greatest benefit to the commonwealth. As a delegate he attended all of the
whig and later the republican national conventions from 1840 until 1872. Dr. and Mrs.
Allen became the parents of eight children. Mrs. .■\llen was a most devoted wife and mother
and a devout Christian woman, holding membership in the Presbj'terian church, in the
faith of which she passed away when in the forty-ninth year of her age.

The youthful years of John Beard Allen were devoted to the acquirement of his
education, which was begun in the common schools of his native town, studying under the
direction of John M. Butler, afterward a member of the legislature, and William A. Wood,
later United States circuit judge. He also continued his education in Wabash College
at Crawfordsville, Indiana, and still later began preparations for the bar, but before pur-
suing his legal course rendered active service to his country for six months as a member
of the One Hundred and Thirty-fifth Indiana Volunteers, enlisting in 1864 when a youth of
nineteen years. It was subsequent to the cessation of hostilities that the family became resi-
dents of Rochester, Minnesota, where he began his law reading under the direction of
Charles C. Wilson and thus prepared for further study in the Michigan University at Ann
Arbor. He was admitted to the practice at the Minnesota bar in the fall of 1868 and for
little more than a year followed his profession in Rochester, and was elected city attorney,
but in the spring of 1870, became a resident of Olympia, Washington, where he entered upon
active practice. His recognized ability led to his appointment to the position of United
States district attorney of Washington territory by President Grant in 1875 and by reap-
pointment of Presidents Hayes and Garfield he was continued in the position for ten years,
during which period he conducted many noted cases. From 1878 until 1885 he was reporter
for the supreme court of the territory and published Volumes i and 2 of its proceedings.

In 1881, Mr. Allen became a resident of Waila Walla and continued his practice in
eastern Washington and in the supreme court. His ability, however, brought him promi-
nently before the public in official connections. In 1888, he made the canvass for the position
of delegate to congress on the republican ticket. This was one of the most exciting and
arduous campaigns which the history of Washington chronicles. Although his party had
been defeated at the two preceding elections, he was elected by a very large popular vote,
receiving a larger majority than had ever been given to any previous candidate, and revers-
ing the vote of more than one-fourth of the whole territory. Before he could take his
seat, however, Washington was admitted to the Union and Mr. Allen was elected its first
United States senator, and he became an active working member of that body. North
and South Dakota were also admitted and the newly elected senators from those states


were required to draw lots to indicate the length of their term. Mr. Allen drew the four
years' term, which expired March 4, 1893, and again became a candidate for the office. In
the legislature of one hundred and twelve members, seventy-five were republicans, the bal-
ance being populists and democrats. In a republican caucus thirty-eight would have con-
stituted a majority sufficient for a nomination, but a minority of the party refused to caucus
and fifty-three members went into caucus, of whom forty-nine cast their ballots for Mr.
.\llen. While he had a continuous support of fifty-two or fifty-three members throughout
the session, the legislature failed to elect and his supporters declined to assent to his with-
drawal, so that the legislature adjourned without choosing a United States senator. He was
then appointed to the position by Governor John H. McGraw. A like failure occurred in
Montana and in Wyoming, but the senate declined to seat the appointed senator on account
of a precedent in similar cases, and that precedent has since been followed. While serving
in the upper house of congress he was a member of the committees on public lands, claims,
relations with Canada, Indian depredations and woman suffrage.

While he was an industrious member on all these committees, the work that will be
of most lasting benefit to his state was his securing the reservation of Point Defiance
Park for Tacoma, the establishment of the United States navy yard at Bremerton, which
was actively opposed by the Senators of Oregon and California, each desiring it for their
own stale, the first appropriations for the federal buildings at Seattle, Tacoma, Spokane and
Walla Walla, and the appropriations for important surveys of rivers and harbors for the

His influence retained Fort Walla Walla, and materially assisted in establishing Fort
Lawton, he generously exchanging twenty acres of the site for land more distant and
unavailable. He was influential in securing the influence of Congress toward the improve-
ment of the Lake Washington Canal and the opening of the Columbia river; and had
mapped out a policy that had he been returned to the United States senate, would have
been of great and enduring benefit to his state.

In appreciation of his services to his city, the Seattle school board named one of its
schools for him, The John B. Allen School, and in time will probably add a playground.

The first tract of land he bought in this state, lying north of the city, has been platted
as Allendale, with its principal street named Allen boulevard, and a petition is being pre-
sented to the United States geographic board to change the name of a little lake lying
within its bounds to Allen lake, these dedications being considered by his friends as more
fitting and en4uring than a monument of stone or marble.

Upon his retirement from the senate in 1893, Mr. Allen removed to Seattle and became
a partner in the law firm of Struve, Allen, Hughes & McMicken, with whicli he remained
until his demise, enjoying a practice second to none in the state. The members of the
firm were men of superior education and broad experience, standing high in the profession,
and their practice was of a most important character. Ere Mr. Allen's death a biographer
wrote of him : "He has a keenly analytical mind and determines with accuracy the strong
points in a suit without losing sight of the details. He is exacting in the research and care
with whicli- he prepares his cases and in argument he is strong. His ability has drawn to
him a large practice and his success indicates his mastery of the principles of jurisprudence."
On the -'5th of September, 1871, Mr. Allen was married to Miss M. Cecelia Bateman, a
native of Lamont, Michigan, and a daughter of the Hon. Hiram Bateman, of Lamont, Michi-
gan, a prominent and influential resident of that state, where he served as a member of the
legislature, while he and two sons were connected with the Union army during tlie Civil
war. Mr. and Mrs. Allen became the parents of five children: John Bateman, Ruth Han-
nah, Grace Caroline and George Hiram, of Seattle, and Harriet Philena, now married to
Walter Guthrie Collins, of Portland, Oregon. Mr. and Mrs. Collins have two sons, Guthrie
and Allen. The daughter Grace Caroline was married November 14, 1900, to Hugh
Philips, and died October 5. 1902, while her husband passed away on the i.^th of January,
1903. Ruth Hannah became, on the 17th of April, 1901, the wife of William Thomas Do-
vell, a prominent lawyer of Walla Walla, who became Mr. Allen's successor in the law
firm of Struve, Allen, Hughes & McMicken, which was reorganized as the law firm of
Hughes, McMicken. Dovcll & Ramsay, of Seattle. Mr. and Mrs. Dovell have three children,
Ruth Cecelia, William Thomas, Jr., and Mary Dorothea.


The 'family circle was again broken by the hand of death, when, on the aSth of January,
1903, Mr. Allen passed away, his remains being interred in Lake View cemetery of Seattle.
One of his biographers has said : "Devotion to duty ever marked the career of Mr. Allen
arid won for him the highest respect and admiratiori. In manner he was quiet and un-
assuming, yet was of the highest type of our American manhood, a fine representative of
our citizenship, a lawyer of broad learning and at all times a man of the very highest honor
and integrity, whose record reflects credit upon the city in which he made his home and
upon the bar of the state."

Another has written of Mr. Allen : "His ability and character are evidenced by the
general esteem in which he was held, the offices and honors bestowed upon him and the
distinction with which he bore them. His name, without seeking or suggestion on his part,
was prominently before every legislature of the state of Washington, until his decease,
for the position of United States senator, and upon organization of the United States cir-
cuit court of appeals he was pressed by President Harrison, Mr. Justice Field and the United
States senators of the Pacific coast to allow himself to be nominated as a member of that
high court. He loved his family, his profession, his neighborhood, his city, his state, his
country, mankind, and strenuously served them all, winning for each great and lasting


Robert Chancellor Saunders, engaged in the general practice of law in Seattle and
now a member of the state board of law examiners, was born in Campbell county, Vir-
ginia, December 24, 1864. His father, Robert Chancellor Saunders, Sr., was likewise a
native of Campbell county, Virginia, and a son of Fleming Saunders, whose birth occurred
in the same county and who for thirty years served upon the bench as circuit judge. The
founder of the American branch of the family came from Scotland, the progenitor in
the new world arriving prior to 1750, at which time the family home was established
on the eastern shore of Virginia. Representatives of tlic name served in the Revolution-
ary war. Robert C- Saunders, Sr., who was a successful planter, served as a major of
the Confederate army. He was also very active in politics and became a member of the
state legislature prior to the Civil war. When the question of secession came up before
the general assembly he strongly opposed it. but he was absolutely loyal to the south
and when Virginia voted to join the Confederacy he entered the army as a captain and
served throughout the entire period of hostilities, participating in the first battle of Bull
Run, in the battle of Manassas and other engagements. He became a major in the com-
missary department. With the close of the war he returned to his old home in Virginia
and there passed away in igo2. at the age of seventy-three years. His wife, who bore the
maiden name of Caryetta Davis, was a daughter of Professor John Staige Davis, the first
professor of law in the University of Virginia and a man of prominence in the state.
The Davis family came from England at an early period in the colonization of the new
world, being among the early settlers of Virginia. Mrs. Saunders' father was a very
prominent educator. Her maternal grandmotlier was Mary Jane Carr, a daughter of
Dabney and Martha (Jefferson) Carr, the former chairman of the first committee of
safety and correspondence appointed by the Virginia house of burgesses, of which he
was a member. He was also one of the members of that assembly who led in what is
known as the Patrick Henry debate on the tax question. His descendant, Mrs. Saunders,
died at the old family homestead in Campbell county, Virginia, in 1894, at the age of
sixty-four years. In the family were ten children, of whom three passed away in early

Robert Chancellor Saunders, of Seattle, the seventh in order of birth, was educ&ted
in public and private schools of Virginia and in the University of Virginia, where he
completed his professional course by graduation with the class of 1889. His early life
was spent upon his father's plantation and after his graduation he removed to St, Louis,
where he entered upon the active practice of law. He did not like the city, however,
and in 1890 removed to St. Paul, Minnesota, where he remained for a year, during which


..LVi 1


period he was editor with the West Publishing Company, publishers of law Ijooks. In
1891 he removed to Hinckley, Pine county, Minnesota, where he opened a law office
and practiced in that county until 1907, in which year he removed to Seattle. During his
residence in Hinckley he served for two terms as prosecuting attorney and was the can-
didate for attorney general of the state on the democratic ticket. He also served on the
hoard of the state reformatory and was otherwise prominent in public affairs. On coming
to Seattle he entered upon the general practice of law, in which he has since been engaged,
and his ability has brought him prominently to the front and has gained for him a large
clientage. He is also a member of the state board of bar examiners, having been ap-
pointed in June, 1915, b\' the supreme court of the state for a three years' term. He is
otherwise active in public affairs, particularly along political lines as a supporter of
democratic principles. He stands for that which he regards as most worth while in civic
life, is a member of the Municipal League and is now serving for the second term as
chairman to examine into the qualifications of candidates for municipal offices.

On the i6th of October, 1895, Mr. Saunders was married in Pine county, Minnesota,
to Miss Nannie Monk, a native of Maine, and they have become the parents of eight
children, namely : Robert Chancellor, John Monk, Edward Watts, Eugene Davis, Richard
Terrell, Virginia, Nannie Monk, Alice Cary. Tlie family residence is at No. 916 Edgar
street and is owned by Mr. Saunders.

Mr. Saunders belongs to St. John's Lodge, A. F. & A. M., and has also taken the
degrees of Royal Arch Masonry. He holds membership in the Episcopal church, in
which faith he was born and baptized, but the family are coiuiected with the Methodist
church. Along strictly professional lines his connection is with the Seattle and State
Bar Associations, and while his activity has reached beyond into other fields in recogni-
tion of his opportunities, responsibilities and obligations, he has always regarded the
practice of law as his real life work and upon his professional duties has concentrated
his energies until his devotion to the interests of his clients has become proverbial.


Paul Shaffrath, a member of the Seattle bar since the fall of 19116, was born at Bie-
skau. Germany, July 29, 1877, the youngest of a family of seven children whose parents
were William and Marie Josephine Shaffrath. The father died in Waterbury, Connecti-
cut, in the year iSgi but the mother is still a resident of that place.

Paul Shaffrath was brought to this country in his childhood days liy his parents and
lived in Beacon Falls, Derby, Shelton and Waterbury. Connecticut, until he came to Seattle.
His education was acquired in the common schools of Beacon Falls, in the Harrington
Business College at Waterbury, in the Phillips-Exeter Academy at Exeter, New Hani])-
shire, from which he was graduated with the class of 1900, in Yale University, where he
took his Bachelor of Arts degree in 1904, and in the Yale Law School, from which he
was graduated LL. B. in 1906. That year concluded the period of his residence in New
En.gland, for he sought the opportunities of the rapidly developing and growing northwest,
coming to Seattle in the fall of 1906. Here he at once entered upon the active practice
of law and has since continued in that professional field. He was for several years asso-
ciated with Austin E. Griffiths but is now alone in practice.

On the 25th of August, 1908, in Seattle, Mr. Shaffrath was united in marriage to Miss
M. Louise Brown, a daughter of Cyrus Weldon and Abbie C. Brown, now of Hampton,
New Hampshire. She is a woman of liberal education as well as of innate refinement. She
was graduated from the high school of Pittsfield, New Hampshire, and was for a time
a student in Boston University. She then continued her studies in Mount Holyoke Col-
lege, completing her course and taking her B. A. degree with the class of 1905. During
her college days she became a member of Pi Beta Phi. She is a member of the well
known Batchelder family, of New England. To Mr. and Mrs. Shaffrath has been born
a daughter, Louise Emery, whose natal day was November 28. igiji.

Botli Mr. and Mrs. Shaffrath hold membership in the Plymoutli church and in politics


he is a progressive Lincoln republican and favors responsible constructive legislation along
social and ameliorative lines. In early manhood he was at one time assistant in the Silas
Bronson Library at Waterbury, Connecticut, and has retained his interest in libraries to tlic
present time. He was also an active member of the Seattle Playgroimd Association and is
greatly interested in social service work, his efforts along that line being practical and
resultant, for he is a man of action rather tlian of theory. He belongs to the New Eng-
land Club and to the Yale Club and his social association with his brethren at the bar comes
through his membership in the state and local bar associations. His viewpoint of life is
broad and concerning the vital questions which affect tlie political, economic and sociological
conditions of the country he keeps abreast with the best thinking men of the age.


George Leslie Lynch, whose residence in Seattle covers a period of twenty-seven years,
throughout which he has been closely associated with business interests of the city, is now
engaged in the packing and storing of furniture under the firm name of the Lynch Packing
& Storage Company. He was born in Alameda county, California, February i6, lS6o, a
son of Oliver and Sarah (Cross) Lynch. His father was born in Cape Vincent, New
York, and came across the plains to California in 1854. His wife was born at Miltonby
Hall, Miltonby, Yorkshire, England, a daughter of Squire Cross, who with his wife and
children came to America when his daughter Sarah was but seven years of age. She was
married in Wisconsin, about 1842, to Oliver Lynch and in 1856 she joined her husband in
California, making the trip by way of the Isthmus of Panama. In 1870 Mr. Lynch came to
Washington, settling on Fidalgo island near Deception Pass, and after having made prepara-
tions for a home for his family he was joined by Mrs. Lynch and their children in February,
1871, their journey having been made on the bark Onward, from which they landed at

George Leslie Lynch was educated at Tade's Academy on Fidalgo island and in 1888
came to Seattle, where he has since resided. Here he first engaged in the furniture business
but after continuing active in that line for some years he turned his attention to the pack-
ing and storing of furniture and is now conducting a profitable business under the name of
the Lynch Packing & Storage Company, having gained a good patronage which makes
the undertaking a profitable one.

On the 3d of January, 1887, at La Conner, Washington, Mr. Lynch was united in mar-
riage to Miss Emma Lewis, who was born in Pennsylvania and made her way to California
in 1877, while subsequently she came to Washington. Her parents. John and Mary Lewis,
were both natives of Wales. Mr. and Mrs. Lynch are the parents of eight children, as fol-
lows : Louis Leslie, who wedded Margaret Dodson ; George Oliver, who married Miss
Gladys Garrett; Edith Marie; Ruth Emma; Dorothy Sarah; Alfred Thomas; Katherine
Louise, and Jack Omar.

Mr. Lynch exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the
republican party. Fraternally he is connected with the Knights of Pythias and the Ancient
Order of United Workmen and in Queen City Lodge, No. 10, K. P., he has held all of the
offices save that of chancellor commander. He is a western man by birth and training and
the spirit of enterprise which has been the dominant factor in the upbuilding of this section
of the country has been manifest in his business connections.


Thomas R. Crandall was the organizer and has continuously been the directing head
of the Eagle Transfer Company, which today controls the largest business of the kind in
Seattle. He was born in Mount Carmel, Illinois, September I, 1869, a son of Edward J.
and Louise M. (Rounding) Crandall, the former of Irish and the latter of English lineage.


The father, a native of Iowa, became a pioneer resident of Mount Carmel, Illinois, in 1855
ami there followed contracting for many years. At the time of the Civil war he became
connected with the Federal service, loyally defending the interests of the Union. In 1887
he became a resident of Seattle and for a period of years was a member of the local
police force. He had also served for fifteen years as constable when in Mount Carmel,
Illinois, so that he brought to his office experience and judgment in such matters. For
the past forty-five years he has been a member of the Odd Fellows Society of Mount Carmel,
Illinois, and in 1914 was awarded a gold medal in recognition of his long membership and
honorable standing in the order. At present he is living retired. His wife was born in
Mount Carmel, Illinois, a daughter of Thomas Rounding, a representative of an old pioneer
family of that place. She died in Seattle in 1905, at the age of fifty-eight years. Of their

Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 107 of 142)