Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 108 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 108 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


six children five are yet living: Thomas R. ; W. W., of Seattle; Ada M., the wife of
William K. Krayer, of Seattle; Jesse G., associated with his brother in the Eagle Transfer
Company ; and Elmer.

Thomas R. Crandall pursued his education in the public schools of Mount Carmel to the
eighth grade and started out in life on his own account when eighteen years of age.
He was first employed at driving teams, devoting ten years to that work, and on the 1st
of September, 1889, he came to Seattle, where he -immediately established himself in the
transfer business, having a single horse. He hauled trunks, standing on the street in order
to secure business, but soon he established a reputation for promptness and reliability and
his business has in the intervening years been developed to its present extensive propor-
tions until now the Eagle Transfer Company operates the second largest enterprise of the
kind in Seattle. They have three auto trucks and two double horse wagons and they also
conduct a storage business, having erected a storage building one hundred and twenty
by tw-cnty feet.

Mr. Crandall has been married twice. On the 20th of October, 1896, in Seattle, he
wedded Miss Johanna Vaughn, a native of Wales, who died in 1905, at the age of thirty-
four years, leaving a daughter, Beulah A., who was born in Seattle, December 23, 1897.
On the 3d of April, 1906, Mr. Crandall wedded Miss Jennie Bergstrom, who was born in
Chicago, Illinois, a daughter of J. P. Bergstrom, of that city. Their marriage, however, was
celebrated in Seattle and they reside at No. 750 North Sixty-eighth street, which property
Mr. Crandall owns. He is a member of the Sons of Veterans, the Fraternal Order of
Eagles and the Modern Woodmen of America. His religious faith is that of the Methodist
church, to which he loyally adheres, and his political support is given to the republican
party but at no time has he sought nor filled public office. He feels that he prefers to
give his undivided attention to his business affairs and indefatigable industry and per-
severance have been the salient elements in his growing prosperity. Those qualities have
enabled him to work his way steadily upward and each step in his career has been a for-
ward one.



ISAAC J. RILEY.



Isaac J. Riley, cashier of the German-American Bank of Seattle, was called to this
position in 1910 and brought to the duties of the position the broad experience and the
wide learning which he had gained from previous connection with banking interests, cover-
ing a number of years. Mr. Riley is a native of Nebraska, his birth having occurred in
Webster county, that state, on the 15th of August, 1875, his parents being John Ortman
and Katherine Ruth (Morton) Riley, who are now residents of Hastings, Nebraska. The
father, who comes of Irish lineage, is descended from Irish ancestors that served in the
Revolutionary war and he, too, proved his loyalty to his country in days of war, enlisting
for service with the Union army, with which he was connected for four years as a repre-
sentative of the Army of the Potomac. His wife is descended from Revolutionary ancestry
of German lineage.

After attending the public schools Isaac J. Riley became a student in a business and
commercial college at Grand Island, Nebraska, from which he was graduated in June,
1897, and, thus well trained for the responsibilities of a business career, he assumed the



878 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

position of bookkeeper in a country bank at Lawrence, Nebraska, with which institution he
was connected from 1897 until 1907. In the early part of the latter year he became vice
president of the First National Bank of Blackfoot, Idaho, and held that office for one
year. Early in 1908 he became cashier of the State Bank at Ballard, Washington, and so
continued until 1910. In January, of the latter year, he became cashier of the German-
American Bank of Seattle, of which he is also one of the directors and principal stock-
holders. He is very popular and promises to be one of the most prominent figures in the
financial world of the northwest. His opinions already carry great weight in financial
circles and his ability has been a contributing factor to the progress that has been made in
connection with banking conditions in this city.

On the 9th of February, i8g8, at Hastings, Nebraska, Mr. Riley was married to Miss
Jessie M. Arnold, a native of that state and a daughter of Samuel Arnold, who is now
living retired. He is of English descent, although the family was founded in America in
colonial days and was represented in the Revolutionary war by those who valiantly aided in
the struggle for independence. Mr. and Mrs. Riley have become the parents of a daughter,
Gladys Lucille. In his political views Mr. Riley is a republican but not an active party
worker. He holds membership with the Modern Woodmen of America and the Knights
of Pythias and is a member of the Metropolitan Lumber Club. His activities, while con-
fined almost exclusively to banking, bring him in contact with many and the thorough
reliability of his methods and his admirable characteristics have established him high in
public regard.



EUGENE OTTO SCHMITZ.

Eugene Otto Schmitz is actively connected with the management and control of Caro-
lina Court, one of the finest apartment houses of the northwest. He was born in Germany
June 25, 1889, and became a resident of Seattle in the fall of 1898 when a little lad of nine
years. The greater part of his education was acquired in the schools of this country and in
1906 he entered upon his active business career as an employe in the machine works of
J. C. Bergert. In 191 1 he became connected with tlie Seattle Construction Company, with
which he continued until 1914, when he and his brother Carl took over the management of
Carolina Court and are now concentrating their efforts upon the control of the business
connected with its rental. This is one of the fine apartment buildings of the Sound country,
containing seventy-two apartments, both furnished and unfurnished.

Mr. Schmitz is a life member of the Seattle Yacht Club, a connection which indicates
much of the nature of his recreation. His political allegiance is given to the republican
party, but the honors and emoluments of office have no attraction for him, as he has always
preferred to concentrate his energies upon his business affairs, in which he is now meet-
ing with excellent success.



CARL SCHMITZ.



Carl Schmitz is the senior partner of the firm of C. & E. O. Schmitz, who control
Carolina Court in Seattle. He was born in Germany October 10, 1878, and there pursued
his education, save for a short course in English after arriving in Seattle. His father, Carl
Schmitz, Sr., also a native of Germany, was a manufacturer. His wife, Mrs. Henrietta
Schmitz, passed away in 1894 at the age of forty-one years, while Mr, Schmitz' death
occurred in 1893 when he was forty-three years of age. Of their family three sons. Carl,
Eugene O. and Helmuth, arc all residents of Seattle, together with two sisters, Hedwig
and Meta.

It was on the 25th of October, 1896, that Carl Schmitz, Jr., arrived in Seattle and after
pursuing a course in English he accepted the position of cashier at the Butler Grill, in which
connection he remained for five years. During that time the place was leased by H.



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 879

Schmitz and later Carl Schmitz opened the old Rathskeller at Second and Cherry streets,
conducting business there until 191 1, when he removed to the new Rathskeller on the second
floor of the Baillargeon building, conducting an excellent restaurant there until September,
1913, when he sold his interest to James Morrison. He then opened a cafe in the Hoge
building, but sold out there in March, 1914, and in connection with his brother Eugene took
over the attractive Carolina Court, which is one of the finest apartment houses in this
section of the country. It is built along lines of modern construction, with every attention
paid to comfort and convenience. It consists of seventy-two apartments, both furnished
and unfurnished, and every facility is afforded for the comfort of those who lease space
from them. Carolina Court is conveniently located at the corner of East Lake and Mercer
streets within walking distance of the business center of the city and on one of the car
lines which has all-night service. The building is most attractive in its exterior and also
in its interior finishings and the Schmitz brothers strive to give the best possible service to
their patrons.

In his political views Carl Schmitz is an earnest republican and lie is also well known
in club circles, being a life member of the Seattle -Athletic Club and also a charter, as
well as a life member of the Arctic Club, in both of which organizations he is widely known
and popular.



AUSTIN GEORGE McBRIDE.

Austin George McBride is well known in Washington and Alaska by reason of the
prominence which he has won in the prosecution of criminal law cases. His ability is pro-
nounced and is attested by judges and juries and his contemporaries and colleagues in
practice. He was born in Will county, Illinois, a son of Henry Benjamin McBride, who was
a native of Ohio and of Scotch-Irish descent. His father, Henry McBride, Sr., was the
founder of the American branch of the family and at an early period established his home
in Stark county, Ohio, becoming one of the pioneer farmers there. Henry B. McBride became
a minister of the Methodist faith and devoted the greater part of his life to that calling, his
death occurring in St. Joseph, Missouri, when he had reached the age of seventy-three
years. The family became residents of that state in 1890. He married Christina Thursby,
a native of Ohio, whose father was of German descent and was one of the early settlers
of the Buckeye state. Mrs. McBride passed away in 1894 at St. Joseph, Missouri, when
eighty-four years of age. In the family were ten children, four of whom died prior to
1850. Five are yet living and include two daughters and three sons, Austin G. McBride
being the youngest. During the Civil war two sons went to the front, the elder being Levi
L. McBride, who is now deceased. The younger, William H. McBride, served for four
years and was with Sherman on the celebrated march to the sea.

Austin G. McBride pursued his early education in the public schools of Will county,
Illinois, and in 1868 became a student in the Northwestern College at Plainfield, Illinois.
He started out in life independently when a youth of nineteen years and, desiring to make
the practice of law his life work, began reading in the oflicc and under the direction of
W. E. Rose, an attorney of Minneapolis, Kansas. He was admitted to practice in Smith
county, Kansas, and followed his profession in Phillips and Decatur counties for twenty
years. During that period he served as prosecuting attorney for one term by appointment
and on the expiration of that period was reelected and served for two years longer. He
afterward removed to Oberlin, Kansas, where for one term he occupied the position of
prosecuting attorney.

On leaving Oberlin Mr. McBride removed to Seattle, where he arrived on the 26th of
-August, 1890. Here he immediately entered upon active practice, in which he has since
been engaged, and his ability has brought him prominently to the front. On the 12th of
January, 1891, he entered the office of the prosecuting attorney under Judge John F. Miller
and served for four years as chief deputy. His health had broken down, and at the advice
of his physician he removed to Fort Wrangell, Alaska. There he established the Fort
Wrangell News, a weekly paper, and prior to that time he served as editor of a paper at
Fort Wrangell and shortly afterwards started a newspaper of his own. Fort Wrangell



880 . HISTORY OF SEATTLE . '

was then undergoing a boom but when this collapsed he removed his paper to Douglas
island, where he remained until the spring of 1900. While there residing he took the census
of Douglas island in 1000 and while thus engaged was appointed by Judge C. S. Johnson,
at that time the only judge in the district, to the office of United States commissioner and
ex-officio probate judge in the Cape York district. In the spring of 1900 he sold his paper
and after serving in the office for only a brief period returned to Seattle and reentered
upon the practice of law in this city. He also served for one year with George F. Van-
devere as assistant prosecuting attorney. On the 24th of April, 1915, he issued and pub-
lished Volume I, Copy i, of the Seattle Legal News, this being the first paper of the kind
published in Seattle. The News has now entered upon the second of the semi-annual
periods of its existence and during this time its circulation has steadily grown. The paper
has received the strong indorsement of representatives of the bar and those connected with
the courts and there is reason to believe that it has entered upon a most successful and
useful career. Mr. McBride's ability as a lawyer is attested by the liberal clientage accorded
him and he is well known among his professional brethren, who entertain for him high
regard.

In politics Mr. McBride is a republican and has always been active in civic affairs.
He has served in much campaign work for the state central committee and has made many
campaign speeches. Fraternally he is connected with Eureka Lodge, No. 20, F. & A. M.,
and Royal Arch Chapter No. 3 of Seattle.

Mr. McBride was married in Osceola, Clarke county, Iowa, to Miss Jennie H. Goss, a
native of that state and a daughter of Peyton J. Goss, a representative of an old Iowa
family. They have one daughter. May E., who is with her parents in a pleasant residence
which Mr. McBride owns at No. 5119 Morgan street. Great credit is due Mr. McBride
for the fact that he has made his own way in the world without financial support from
his people. In his profession he has always made a specialty of prosecution and he has
a large collection of commendatory letters from judges, indicating his ability in that line
and his fairness to those whose records show a shadow of innocence. He is relentless, how-
ever, in his prosecution of the guilty and it is well known that he leaves no point untouched
that bears upon his case. His mind is naturally analytical, logical and inductive and he
readily sees the relation between cause and effect and traces the steps from one to the other
with ease. His career has been marked by steady professional progress and he is recognized
as one of the foremost criminal lawvers in Seattle.



JAMES FOWLER.



James Fowler, whose name is well known in marine circles, has been prominently
identified with the building of some of the largest steamships on the Pacific coast. He
is now occupying the position of surveyor to Lloyd's register of shipping for the state of
Washington, and is located at Seattle. A native of Aberdeen, Scotland, he was born in
January, 1849, a son of William and Elizabeth Fowler. After attending the public schools
he continued his education in several different science and art schools until he reached
the age of sixteen years, when he made the initial step that has brought him to his present
position, serving a seven years' apprenticeship as a marine engineer and also learning
the trade of shipbuilding. He afterward went to sea as a marine engineer on the Allan
Line steamships of Liverpool, continuing in that connection until 1888, during which
time he was advanced from one position to another until when he severed his connection
with the company he was occupying the important place of assistant to the general super-
intendent. Later he became superintendent of construction at Barrow in Furness, in
Lancashire, England, having charge of the construction of three large steamships for the
Canadian Pacific Railway Company, namely, the Empress of India, the Empress of Japan
and the Empress of China, sister ships sailing from the Pacific coast to the orient.
In 1891 he came to this section of the country with those vessels, as chief engineer, sailing
then between Vancouver, British Columbia, and China for five years. At the end of that
time he became surveyor to Lloyd's register of shipping at Vancouver and in 1905 was




lAMES FOWLER






,j/«^^f-'^






HISTORY OF SEATTLE 883

transferred to Seattle in the same capacity, having direction of the interests of the
society in the state of Washington. His position is one of large responsibility, for which
varied training and experience have well qualified him and he is now a prominent repre-
sentative of shipping interests in the Pacific northwest.

Mr. Fowler was married in Aberdeen, Scotland, in January, 1872, to Miss Jane
Youngson, and they have two sons : William, who is forty years of age, and is a
machinist at Vancouver, British Columbia; and Peter, thirty-eight years of age, who is
also a machinist, and is located in Seattle.

Fraternally Captain Fowler is a Mason, having taken the degrees of the York Rite.
He is a Protestant in religious faith and a republican in his political belief and his social
nature finds expression in his membership in the Arctic Club. He has gained a wide
experience in this section of the country and his ability and personal characteristics have
won him favorable regard and the warm esteem of a growing circle of friends and ac-
quaintances.



CHAUN'CEY B. RATHBUN.

Chaunccy B. Rathbun, city editor of The Seattle Times, with which paper he has been
continuously connected since 1904, was born in Alma, Wisconsin, August 30, 1879. His
father, John C. Rathbun, a resident of Seattle, is a native of Connecticut, born in 1854.
His mother, who bore the maiden name of Elizabeth Goldenberger, was born in Massa-
chusetts in 1857. The family came to Olympia in 1889 from Texas. Mr. Rathbun's early
education was obtained in the public schools of the latter state and Olympia. He entered
the University of Washington in 1896 and has been a resident of Seattle ever since.

Mr. Rathbun began his newspaper career as university correspondent of the Post-In-
telligencer and after leaving college entered the employ of that paper as a reporter. He
went to The Times for a year, returned to the Post-Intelligencer, spent several months
with a weekly publication, the Seattle News Letter, and then returned to The Times, with
which paper he has been connected ever since, as northwest editor, telegraph editor, news
editor, assistant managing editor and city editor.

Mr. Rathbun served in the First Washington regiment in the Spanish-American war
and the Philippine insurrection and in the latter campaign was recommended for meritori-
ous service.

He was married November 18, 1912, to Miss Edna Hatch, a native of Whatcom county,
Washington. They have one daughter, Elizabeth, born May 26, 1914. Tliey reside at
2012 East Fifty-second street.

In politics Mr. Rathbun is a republican. He is a member of tlie Rainier Club, the
Seattle Athletic Club, the Seattle Press Club, the University of Washington Golf Club
and Seattle Lodge, No. 92. B. P. O. E., and is an honorary member of Sigma Delta Chi, a
colle.^e journalism fraternity.



WILLIAM FORREST RICHARDSON.

William Forrest Richardson, manager of the wire and wire rope house of John A.
Roebling's Sons Company of Seattle, was born March 31, 1870, at Valetta, Kent county.
Ontario, Canada, his parents being William and Catherine (Oswald) Richardson, who
were also natives of Canada and were of Scotch descent. The mother's people were High-
land Scotch from the district of Stirling, Scotland, while the paternal ancestors came from
Earlstone, in Roxbourghshire.

William F. Richardson pursued his early education in the grammar schools of Detroit.
Michigan, to which city his parents removed during his early boyhood and later he there
pursued a course in a business college. He started in life as foundry clerk at the Peninsular
Car Works, now the American Car Company of Detroit, and later occupied a clerical posi-
Vol. m— 39



884 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

tion with the Detroit Gas Company and with the Roehm & Davidson Carriage Hardware
Company. Subsequently he filled the position of bookkeeper at the Belknap Wagon Works
at Detroit, and in 1889 went to St. Louis, Missouri, where he entered the electrical supply
business. The following year he removed to Chicago, where he continued in the same line
and in 1898 he returned to Detroit, where he became connected with the telephone busi-
ness. In 1903 he removed to Cleveland, Ohio, where he became assistant manager for John
A. Roebling's Sons Company, and the following year he was transferred to Seattle as the
representative of the same company, conducting their business in Seattle as manager of
their house here.

Mr. Richardson was married in Detroit to Miss Edith Ferris, who died in 1904, and in
1908 he wedded Rosalie Fleming. By his first marriage he had four children, two daugh-
ters and two sons, Alice, Edith, Philo and Forrest. In his political views Mr. Richardson
is a republican but not an active party worker or office seeker. He belongs to the Masonic
fraternity and he is a member of the Rainier, Arctic, Athletic, Seattle Yacht, Rotary and
Earlington Golf Clubs. For two years he was a member of the board of trustees of the
Rotary Club and for a similar period was on the board of trustees of the Arctic Club.
His religious faith is that of the Presbyterian church and according to its teachings he has
guided his life, so that his career has been one characterized by uprightness, integrity and
allegiance to high principles. In business he has made steady advancement, working along
lines that lead to success. Industry and perseverance have enabled him to triumph over
difficulties and obstacles and gradually he has progressed until he occupies a position of
importance and responsibility in connection with the business life of Seattle.



MAX RAGLEY,



Max Ragley, a real estate dealer of Seattle, numbered among the city's capitalists, was
born in Hamburg, Germany, July 24, 1861. He comes of Swiss parentage, the name being
originally Ragli, and the ancestry in the paternal line can be traced back to William Tell.
Representatives of the family have been found in every contest waged for the freedom
of Switzerland. The mother of Max Ragley bore the maiden name of Rosa Stemphli.
Both she and her husband are now deceased.

After attending the public schools of Hamburg. Germany, Max Ragley became a student
in the University of Berlin and pursued post-graduate work at Kiel, Germany, winning
the degree of Bachelor of Medicine in 1882, at which time he came under the instruction
of Professor Esmarch, who was then one of the instructors in surgery in the University
of Kiel. Dr. Ragley afterward pursued a second post-graduate course at Heidelberg, where
the M. D. degree was conferred upon him.

Coming to the new world, he engaged in the practice of medicine in the states of New
York and Florida between the years 1885 and 1889. At the close of that period he joined
the United States Navy as junior surgeon and occupied that position for about nine years.
He was for six years in Sitka, Alaska, on the ships Mohican, Marion, Wheeling and the
famous old Pinta. He explored Alaska in the early days while serving on these war ves-
sels and was given a medal by the government in 1895 as a testimonial of fidelity, known
as a "continuous service certificate," while on the Pinta. Resigning his position in the navy,
he came to Seattle in 1898 and established a drug business in this city. Here he has since
made his home and his successful operations in the field of business have won him place
among the capitalists of the northwest.

Dr. Ragley was special agent for the treasury department during the stirring days of
the Klondike excitement. The necessity of going to sea did not appeal to him, however,
and he resigned in 1898, establishing his drug store in Seattle and conducting it success-
fully until 1907. He then sold out in order to concentrate his efforts upon the real estate
business. In this he conducts a general business, yet largely handles his own properties,
and his holdings are extensive. He is thoroughly conversant with real estate values, knows
the property that is upon the market and has directed his individual activities in the real
estate field with such discretion and discrimination that success has come to him in large



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 885

measure. He is now chairman of the executive committee of the Real Estate Association
of Seattle and at the international convention of real estate dealers held July 8, 191 1, at



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 108 of 142)