Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 11 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 11 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


higher political honors awaited him in his election to the state senate from Jefferson, Clallam
and San Juan counties. For eight years he continued a member of the senate, having been
reelected at the close of his first term by his fellow townsmen who appreciated the worth
and value of his service' in the general assembly. He was made a member of several



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 85

important and special committees and left the impress of his individuality for good upon
the legislation of the state. He was also very active in all that pertained to his city's growth
and improvement, for he had great faith in Seattle, was public spirited and was in many
ways proud of the city, its opportunities and its advantages. His investments were so
judiciously made that excellent results accrued and in all transactions his business integ-
rity stood above question.



C. K. POE.

C. K. Poe, a prominent and able representative of the legal fraternity in Seattle, has
here followed his profession during the past seven years, practicing throughout nearly the
entire period as a partner of H. R. Clise. His birth occurred in Baltimore, Maryland, on
tlie 2Sth of August, 1877, his parents being Charles and Ellen (Conway) Poe. The father
is a native of Maryland and a son of Judge Neilson Poe of that state. Edgar Allan Poe,
the noted poet, was a near relative. The family is one of Maryland's oldest and best.
The mother of our subject is a member of the famous Byrd family of Virginia, her
grandfather being the well known Governor Byrd of that state. Charles Poe is a practic-
ing attorney of Washington, D. C, where both he and his wife now make their home.

C. K. Poe acquired his more advanced education in Columbia University and studied
law under the preceptorship of Oliver Wendell Holmes of the supreme court of the
United States. He began the practice of his chosen profession in Washington, D. C,
but subsequently determined to establish his home in the west and in 1904 went to the
Indian Territory as attorney for the Standard Oil Company. Success came to him in
gratifying measure but he was taken ill and made his way to Seattle in 1907. For a
year he practiced alone and then formed a partnership with H. R. Clise, who has remained
his associate to the present time, helping to build up an extensive and enviable clientage.
His is a natural discrimination as to legal ethics, and he is so thoroughly well read in
the minutiae of the law that lie is able to base his arguments upon thorough knowledge of,
and familiarity with precedents, and to present a case upon its merits, never failing to rec-
ognize the main point at issue and never neglecting to give a thorough preparation.

On the nth of May, 1912, in Seattle, Mr. Poe was united in marriage to Josephine De
Wolfe, the widow of Judge Meade Emory and a prominent society woman who as a girl
was a leading belle of Seattle. Our subject and his wife now have a daughter, Josephine
Byrd Poe. Mr. Poe is a popular member of the Rainier Club and enjoys the respect and
esteem of all with whom he has come in contact in both professional and social relations.



EDWARD CUDIHEE.



Edward Cudihee made an excellent record as sheriff of King county and his duties
were discharged without fear or favor with the result that the public had the utmost con-
fidence in him. Mr. Cudihee is far removed from the place of his nativity. He was born
in Rochester, New York, January 26, 1853, and the family name indicates his Irish ances-
try. His father, Daniel Cudihee, was born in the town of Callan, in the county of Kil-
kenny, Ireland, but, ambitions to try his fortune in the new world, he left his native
country in 1826, when a youth of eighteen years, and crossed the Atlantic to the United
States, becoming a resident of Rochester, New York. He lived there for some time after
his marriage, his wife being Miss Anna Comeford, a native of the Emerald isle. In early
manhood Daniel Cudihee learned the stonemason's trade and followed it for several years,
but afterward turned his attention to farming. He removed to Michigan, where he secured
and cultivated a tract of land, conducting the farm in a business-like and successful man-
ner until he retired and established his home in Jackson, Michigan. There his wife passed
away in 1900, at the age of seventy-four years. Their family numbered ten children, six



86 ' HISTORY OF SEATTLE

of whom still survive. John Cudihee, a brother of our subject, was at one time a resident
of Seattle, but is now living in Alaska.

In the public schools of Orleans county. New York, Edward Cudihee acquired his edu-
cation and under the direction of his father learned the stonemason's trade. Like his
father, he afterward became connected with farming interests and still later he turned his
attention to merchandising. His identification with the northwest dates from March, l88g,
when he came to Seattle. Since that time he has been almost continuously in the public
service. He was made a member of the police force and his record in office was com-
mendable, for his duties were discharged with promptness and without fear or favor. He
worked diligently to prosecute offenders, yet he was never unkind in his treatment of a
prisoner in his charge. The record which he made as a police officer naturally led to his
nomination for the office of sheriff of King county, and on the 6th of November, 1900,
he was given a majority of two thousand, six hundred and five votes. He ran far ahead
of his ticket, a fact which indicated his personal popularity, only one other democrat being
elected on that occasion. He had previously held office in Leadville, Colorado, for, prior
to his removal to Seattle, he served as a member of the police force of the former city
for six years and for two years was chief of police there, being elected by the people to
that position. As sheriff of King county his record was most commendable. He served
for two terms, retiring in 1904. He then engaged in buying and selling horses and in the
livery business, continuing along those lines until 191 2, when he was again elected sheriff
of the county on the democratic ticket, so that he served the third term in that office.

On the 6th of January, 1909, Mr. Cudihee was united in marriage to Miss Ella Steiner,
a daughter of Frank and Rosa Steiner, of Seattle. His fraternal relations are with Seattle
Lodge, No. 92, B. P. O. E., with Seattle Lodge, No. i, F. O. E. and the Chief Seattle Tribe
of the Red Men. He has a wide acquaintance and is popular in democratic circles and
among those of opposing political faith.



WILLIAM HARVEY SURBER.

William Harvey Surber of Seattle was born on a farm in Madison county, Indiana,
some eight miles from Andersontown, November 7, 1834, son of John and Betsy Surber.
His father was of German descent and was a native of Virginia, removing to Indiana in
1822 ; and his mother also came from German stock. The son received a country school
education and lived on the home farm until the age of twenty-two, assisting his father in
clearing out timber and in other laborious work incidental to rural life. During his early
period he acquired a reputation as a skilful marksman and hunter. In the winter of 1856,
while on one of his hunting excursions, he shot a deer with a flint-lock rifle, and twenty
years later, upon returning for a visit to the scenes of his boyhood, learned that it was the
last deer killed in Madison county.

In the early part of 1857, having heard that an expedition, headed by Gallant Raines,
was in process of organization at St. Joseph on the Missouri river, with the intention of
crossing the plains to California, young Surber left home, accompanied by a neighbor. Jack
Foster, proceeded to that place and joined the party, which, as finally made up, consisted
of sixty-two persons, sixteen of whom were young women. There were forty wagons,
twenty-two being loaded with provisions, thirty-eight yoke of oxen, and five hundred head
of loose cattle. The start was made from St. Joseph on the 7th of March. Throughout
the journey, which was made without untoward incident, Surber acted as official hunter for
the company. He and Foster left the train at Grizzly Flat, California, and went to Hang-
town (later known as Placerville), and then to Sacramento, where they arrived in October.
For some nine months he was employed on a ranch twelve miles from that place. In
July, 1858, deciding to seek his fortune in the Eraser river gold diggings, he sailed from
San Francisco to Victoria, British Columbia, and there took the steamer Beaver for his
destination. Arriving at the diggings he took a claim on Emery's Bar between Fort Yale
and Fort Hope, and after working industriously with a rocker all winter found himself
in possession of six hundred dollars. This did not seem to him a sufficient reward for such




WILLIAM H. SURBER



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 89

labor, and in the spring he returned to Victoria and went by schooner to Port Gamble,
Washington, and thence by trail to Port Madison. Being unable to obtain employment at
the latter place, he hired two Siwash Indians, who took him in a canoe to Seattle, landing
him on Yesler's slab pile at the foot of what was then Mill street, now Yesler avenue, on
the I2th of May, 1859. The same day he was employed at the carpenter's trade by Tom
Russell and George Barker (at that time the only carpenters in Seattle), and he continued
to work for them until April of the following year. His employers, not thinking it neces-
sary to learn his name, called him Joe, and he has ever since been familiarly known to
Seattle people as Joe Surber. Afterward he worked for Captain Libby in driving piles, and
at the same occupation for J. M. Colman, having charge of the driver at Utsalady ; and
for some time he also served as second engineer on the steamer J. B. Libby. In the fall
of 1863 he bored the logs used for conveying water to the old university, a distance of
about seven blocks.

In 1861, after the McGilvra road was built from Seattle to Lake Washington, Mr.
Surber took up a homestead of one hundred and si.xty acres on the north side of Union
Bay, but he abandoned the homestead and bought the same acreage, with five acres more,
from the government at a dollar and a quarter an acre. He still retains about forty acres.

Becoming a well known and popular citizen of Seattle, he was chosen the first chief of
police of the city in 1866 when Henry Vesler was mayor and W. R. Maddo.x, Charles
Burnett, Charles Terry, and Frank Matthias were members of the council. Although he
has not since been active to any extent in politics or identified with official affairs, he has at
all times enjoyed a high personal reputation and is today known and esteemed throughout
the community as one of the representative old citizens.

Much interest attaches to the career of Mr. Surber in connection with his reminiscences,
or more properly the historical records, of the early and later conditions of wild game in
the Puget Sound country. We have already alluded to his youthful expertness as a marks-
man and hunter, and after coming to Washington he fully maintained his reputation in
those respects. It is asserted by competent authorities that he has killed at least twice
as many deer, cougars and wildcats as any man who has ever lived in the state. Cougars
he invariably slew whenever opportunity offered as a matter of protection to the deer. He
has a three inch scar on the top of his head as a result of a cougar hunt. In a single
winter he disposed of five of these animals. It was by his hand that the last cougar slain
in the vicinity of Seattle met its death. This event happened on his place on Union Bay
in 1895. The dogs forced the beast to mount a fence, and Mr. Surber, wishing not to mar
its pelt with a ball, killed it witli a picket.

At the time of his coming to Seattle (May, 1859) game abounded, and deer were
especially numerous. The meat of that animal was in much request in the market, as
beef was then costly and often difficult to get at any price. He accordingly devoted much
of his leisure to hunting and with very substantial advantage in those days of narrow finan-
cial means. On many of his hunting trips he shot from three to five deer but never more
than enough to satisfy a reasonable demand ; no old-timer ever regarded Mr. Surber as
a pothunter or other than a sportsman of the highest type. He made his first hunt about
four days after his arrival. Borrowing from Tommy Mercer a Yager rifle he went into the
woods after dinner and at what is now Fourth and Marion streets killed a three-pronged
buck, which he dragged single handed through the brush to Yesler's Mill. By hunting
evenings he was able to pay his board and lay by a comfortable sum. In 1867 he devoted
four months exclusively to hunting, and in that period secured one hundred and fourteen
deer, seven bears and one elk — this elk being the last killed in King county (September 12,
1867). He shot it in Frost's meadow at Smith's Cove. He had previously killed five elk,
all between Lake Union and Green Lake. His first elk (shot September I, 1859, just north
of the Latona bridge) he sold to Arthur Denny, who was then running a meat market on
Commercial street, and the two hind quarters and one fore quarter brought forty-seven
dollars. Aside from the six elk bagged by Surber, only two are known to have been
killed in King county — one by David Denny a little north of Oak Lake, and the other by
Indians on the old McGilvra road at what is now Thirty-ninth and Madison streets. As
late as June 12, 1906, Mr. Surber saw three deer, one in front of his house on Union
Bay and the other just north of the Golf Club, and one of these (a buck) he killed. The



90 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

experiences of Mr. Surber as a hunter have been the subject of various publications in
the press, and by special request from T. S. Palmer, the official in charge of game preserva-
tion for the federal department of agriculture, he has recently furnished some exact
particulars for the historical records of the department.



ARTHUR BOSTWICK CUNNINGHAM, D. O. •

Dr. Arthur Bostwick Cunningham is a successful young osteopath who has practiced
his profession in Seattle during the past six years and has served as secretary of the
Washington Osteopathic Association since April, 1913. His birth occurred in Sioux City,
Iowa, on the 19th of December, 1883, his parents being Jesse Merchant and Grace (Bost-
wick) Cunningham. In the acquirement of an education he attended the graded and high
schools of his native city and after putting aside his textbooks was connected with the
wholesale heavy hardware business as office man and traveling salesman. Determining
upon a professional career, he entered the American School of Osteopathy at Kirksville,
Missouri, and in 1905 won the degree of Doctor of Osteopathy. In November of that
year he located for practice at Fort William, Ontario, and there continued until November,
1909, when he came to Seattle, this city having since remained the scene of his professional
labors. An extensive and lucrative practice is accorded him in recognition of his skill
and ability. He was elected to the office of secretary of the Washington Osteopathic
Association in April, 1913, and reelected in 1914, therefore holding that position two years.
Dr. Cunningham likewise belongs to the King County Osteopathic Association, of which he
is president, and the American Osteopathic Association, while of the Seattle Athletic Club
he is also a popular and enthusiastic member.



FREDERICK SCHERMERHORN BRINTON.

Frederick Schermerhorn Brinton is a member of the well known firm of Lee & Brinton,
naval architects, engineers and brokers of Seattle. He was born in Philadelphia, Pennsyl-
vania, December 9, 1872. His father, Robert Morton Brinton, was a direct descendant
of William Brinton, a Quaker who landed in Pennsylvania in 1684 and settled near the
present city of West Chester. The mother, whose maiden name was Octavia Eliza Fosdick,
was descended from an old New England family dating back to colonial days. Six of her
ancestors are known to have come over in the Mayflower, landing in this country in
1620. Their names are enrolled on the monument at Plymouth as follows : Francis
Cooke, Thomas Rogers, John Alden, Priscilla Alden, William Mullins and Alice MuUins.

The ancestral records in both the maternal and paternal lines are as follows. William
Brinton, born in 'i<530, died in 1700. He married Ann Bagley, who was born in 1635 and
passed away in 1699. As stated, they sailed from England and settled near West Chester
and the old homestead of the famil-y is still standing. Their son, William Brinton, born
in 1666 and died in 1751, married Jane Thatcher, whose birth occurred in 1670 and wlio
died in 1755. Joseph Brinton, the direct ancestor in the third generation, was born in
1692 and died in 1751, while his wife, Mary Pierce, was born in 1690. They were parents
of Moses Brinton, who was born in 1725 and died in 1789, while his wife, Elenor Varman,
was born in 1724 and died in 1788. Their son, William Brinton, born in 1759, passed, away
in 1842, while his wife, who bore the maiden name of Lydia Ferre, and was born in 1766,
departed this life in 1857. Their son, Ferre Brinton, was the grandfather of Frederick
S. Brinton and was born in 1800. He wedded Elizabeth Sharpless, who was born in 1801
and died in 1844, while his death occurred in 1874. Their son, Robert Morton Brinton,
born in 1843, died in 1885. He married Octavia Eliza Fosdick, who was born in 1844 and
still survives. She traces her ancestry back to Francis and Esther Cooke. The former
was a passenger on the Mayflower and died in 1663. An original deed bearing his signa-
ture can be seen at the office of the recorder of deeds at Plymouth, Massachusetts. His



HISTORY OF SEATTLE ' 91

daughter, Jane Cook, became the wife of Experience Alitchell, who was born in 1609 and
passed away in 1689. They were parents of Jacob Mitchell, who married Susannah Pope,
born in 1608, and both passed away in 1675. Their son, Jacob Mitchell II, who was born
in 1670 and died in 1744, married Deliverance Kingman, and their son, Jacob Mitchell,
who was born in 1697, wedded Rachel Gushing, who was born in 1694 and died in 1768.
Their family included David Mitchell, who was born in 1728 and died in 1796. He mar-
ried Lucretia Loring, who was born in 1742 and died in 1809. She was a daughter of Rev.
Nicholas and Mary (Richmond) Loring, and it is through the latter that the ancestry
is traced back to Thomas Rogers and John and Priscilla Alden. Mary Richmond was
the daughter of Sylvester and Elizabeth (Rogers) Richmond. The former was born in
1673 and passed away in 1754, while his wife was born in 1672 and died in 1724. She
was a daughter of John Rogers II, a granddaughter of John Rogers I and a great-grand-
daughter of Thomas Rogers, who was a passenger on the Alayflower and died from hard-
ships during the first winter spent by the Plymouth colonists in the new world — 1621. John
Rogers II married Elizabeth Peabody, who was born in 1647. She traced her ancestry
back to William and Alice Mullins, whose daughter Priscilla, became the wife of John
Alden, the most noted passenger on the Mayflower, immortalized by Longfellow in his
poem, The Courtship of Miles Standish. John Alden died in 1687 and his wife in 1650.
Their daughter, Elizabeth Alden, who passed away in 1625, was the wife of William
Peabody, who died in 1717. It was their daughter Elizabeth who became the wife of
John Rogers, thus connecting two of the oldest and most prominent families of New Eng-
land. Their daughter Elizabeth became the wife of Sylvester Richmond and they were
parents of ]Mary Richmond, who became the wife of Rev. Nicholas Loring. Their daughter
Lucretia, who was born in 1742, and died in 1809, married David Mitchell, who was born
in 1728 and died in 1796. Their son Jacob Mitchell, born in 1763, wedded Phebe Buxton,
who was born in 1764. He died in 1848, having long survived his wife, who passed
away in 1812. They were parents of Ruben Mitchell, who was born in 1793 and died
in 1851, while his wife, who bore the maiden name of Eliza Parsons Titcomb, was born
in 1796 and died in 1874. Their daughter, Sophia A. Mitchell, became the wife of Benja-
min W. Fosdick, who was born in 1810, while her birth occurred in 1816. He passed away
in 1854 and her death occurred in 1888. They were the maternal grandparents of Fred-
erick Schermerhorn Brinton, and through their daughter, Octavia Eliza Fosdick, the line
became connected with the Brinton line.

Frederick S. Brinton pursued his education in the Germantown Academy at German-
town, Pennsylvania, from which he was graduated with the class of 1890. He next entered
the University of Pennsylvania at Philadelphia and in 1894 won the Bachelor of Science
degree, while in 1895 he was graduated on the completion of the mechanical engineering
course. He started in the business world in the position of draftsman at the Crescent ship-
yard at Elizabeth, New Jersey, in 1896, and drew up the plans for the first United States
submarine boat, called the Holland. In 1898 he went into the Moldloft and was made
foreman in 1899. He resigned his position at the Crescent yard in 1902. at which time
he was in charge of the construction of the United States ship, Chattanooga. In that
year he accepted the position of chief constructor for the Marine Construction & Dry
Dock Company at Mariner Harbor, Staten Island. The following }'ear he was advanced
to the position of superintendent and later in the same year was elected to the vice pres-
idency of the company. He transferred his activities to the west, however, in 1907, when
he formed a partnership with Harold Lee, of Seattle, under the firm style of Lee & Brinton,
naval architects, engineers and brokers. His business experience and his college training
all qualified him for the work that he has undertaken in this connection and the firm
stands among the foremost in their line.

In 1898 Mr. Brinton offered his services and passed (he examinations for assistant
engineer in the navy during the Spanish-American war. In 1909 he became one of the
founders of the Naval Militia of the state of Washington and on the 14th of June, ign,
he received a commission from the state as a lieutenant J. G., so continuing until the 31st
of March, 1913, when he tendered his resignation.

In his political views Mr. Brinton is an earnest republican. He is a member of the
Episcopal church and of the Men's Club of Trinity church. He is also connected with



92 ■ ■ HISTORY OF SEATTLE

the College Club, the Seattle Yacht Club and the Pacific International Power Boat Asso-
ciation. He also belongs to the Military Order of the Loyal Legion, the Society of Naval
Architects and Marine Engineers and the Society of Naval Engineers. Steady advance-
ment along professional lines has brought him to a prominent position among the naval
architects on the Pacific coast, but he is not a one-idea man ; on the contrary his interests
are broad and varied and he keeps in touch with the world's thought and progress through
wide reading, through membership connections and through all those interests which
engage the attention of the man of affairs of the present day. He stands as a high type
of American manhood and chivalry, a worthy representative of an honored ancestry.



O. F. WEGENER.



On the day in February, 1886, when martial law was declared on account of the "anti-
Chinese riots," O. F. Wegener arrived in Seattle. He had made his way to the Pacific coast
in search of a climate which he hoped would prove beneficial to a member of his family
suffering from tuberculosis and had spent nine years at different points in California,
Oregon and eastern and southwestern Washington. It was his intention then to try
British Columbia, but while en route thereto, in the fall of 1885, he spent two days in
Seattle, which determined him that he had found the place he was seeking. Not only was
its climatic condition attractive, but he believed that its geographic situation would give
it excellent advantages as a city. There was a probability that Lake Washington would be
connected with the bay by canal, thus giving to the town a fresh-water harbor not possessed
by any other seaport on the Pacific coast of the United States or Canada. He felt that
this would make Seattle a rival of San Francisco. Moreover, the expected growth of the
town and the work of civil engineering necessitated thereby seemed to hold out to him a
successful future in business.



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 11 of 142)