Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 110 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 110 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and the Merchants Exchange of which he was president in 1913, all of which figure in the
substantial improvement of the city and look to its greater growth and prosperity.



JOHN H. HUDGSON.



John H. Hudgson, vice president of the Washington Elevator Company, was born
September 28, 1872, in Pittston, Pennsylvania, and his early education was acquired in the
public schools of that state. He afterward pursued a course in electrical engineering in
Philadelphia and, thus well equipped for life's practical and responsible duties, started
out in business on his own account. Gradually he has worked his way upward, over-
coming all difficulties and obstacles in his path by determined effort and perseverance.
Experience has brought him practical knowledge and wide reading has advanced his
technical training.

In 1904 Mr. Hudgson came to Seattle and was employed by the Washington Elevator
Company as a designer and buyer. He became a stockholder in the company in 1906 and
for several years has occupied the position of vice president. The company builds freight
and passenger elevators and has a large trade on the Pacific coast, covering the territory
of Washington and Oregon, also Alaska, and extending likewise to the Hawaiian Islands.
Their patronage is now large and the business is one of the important industrial under-
takings of the city.

Mr. Hudgson is a democrat in his political views but has never been an office seeker.
He cooperates in the work for the city's upbuilding and is an enthusiastic advocate of
Seattle and her opportunities. During the twelve years in which he has made his home
in the city he has witnessed its wonderful growth and development and he has been active
in furthering its progress in various ways. In the conduct of his business affairs he is
developing an enterprise of constantly broadening scope, his trade reaching farther and
farther, and thus his success is growing year by year.



C. HARRISON GREEN.



C. Harrison Green, business manager of the Post-Intelligencer, was born in Stirling,
Ontario, Canada, November 3, 1872, a son of Jed and Samantha Green. At the usual age
he entered the public schools, passing through consecutive grades to the high school with
the class of 1888. He afterward learned the printer's trade on The Argus in his home
town, and after following that trade for four years, went to Owen Sound, Canada, where
he became a reporter on the Owen Sound .Advertiser and special correspondent for that



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 893

territory for the Toronto Globe. He remained in that position for six years, during which
time he was a playing member of the lacrosse and cricket teams, and Owen Sound Insti-
tute Foot Ball Club. He afterward went to Vancouver, British Columbia, and played on
the lacrosse team there for one season. He represented one of the Eraser Rjver salmon
canneries as night foreman during that time. That's where he probably got the fishing
fever. When Cy, as his friends call him, isn't at his desk at the Post-Intelligencer, his
friends know the trout streams aren't far distant.

Mr Green came to Seattle from Vancouver in 1899, and engaged as solicitor with the
Star, remaining in that connection with the paper for six months, after which he became
circulation manager and so continued until 1909, when he was advanced to he position of
business manager. He resigned his position on the Star, and became circulation manager
of the Post-Intelligencer in May, 191.. In November. :9I4, he became b-> - -^3'-;
which position he now fills. He was a playing member during the full hfe of the Seattle

"'"MTcret makes his home on a five-acre ranch a half mile from Foy Station and
there engages ,n raising chickens and turkeys, keeping fowls of the highest grade. He
find, recreation and diversion from arduous business cares in the out-of-door life of the
ranch and is greatly interested in every feature of the place. He was married m Victoria,
British Columbia, to Miss Maud Yeaman on the 8th of August. 1907. Mrs. Greens birth-
place is Wingham, Ontario, Canada. His political connection is with the Republican party,
and he belongs to the Rotary and Arctic clubs. He has gained a wide acquaintance during
his residence in the northwest, is thoroughly in touch with the interests and development o
this section of the country, and his force and resourcefulness in business circles are manifes
!n his capable, and resultant management of the business interests of Seattle s foremost
newspaper.

JOHN L. JENKINS.

John L Jenkins is the senior partner of the firm of Jenkins & Jones, general contractors,
to whom have been awarded contracts for the erection of many of the important buildings
of Seattle, which fact establishes their position in the foremost rank of those connected
with the building industry. Mr. Jenkins was born in Wales, May 18, 1859. a son of John
L. and Margaret Jenkins. He attended the public schools until he reached the age of
seventeen years, when he began learning the carpenter's trade, which he followed un il 1882.
In that year he came to the United States, settling first at BuflPalo. New \ ork, where he
followed carpentering for six months. He next went to Chicago where he again worked
at carpentering for six years and subsequently he removed to Omaha. Nebraska where
he began operations as a building contractor. After a year he removed to Seattle and
engaged as foreman with Owen Thomas, a general contractor, in whose employ he remained
until 1889. when he formed a partnership with Thomas Jones under the firm style of Jen-
kins & Jones' general contractors. That cpnnection was maintained until 1897, when the
partnership was dissolved and Mr. Jenkins went to Alaska, devoting his attention to mining
near Dawson City until 1900. He then returned to Seattle and again engaged in the build-
ing contracting business for a year. Once more he went to Alaska, and while there erected
a large number of the public buildings of Nome, but at the end of another twelvemonth
he returned to Seattle. He is in partnership with E. H. Jones under the firm style of
Jenkins & Jones, general contractors, and many important contracts have been awarded
them Thev were the builders of the St. Marco apartments, the addition to the old court-
house the Robinson apartments (for which they received eighty thousand dollars), the
Sorrento apartments, the fire engine station at Terry and Alder streets the Are engine
station at Virginia and Minor streets, the Hamm-Schmitz budding, the Clarence Blethen
res dence the George Danz residence, the Everett high school at Everett. Washmgton. the
aSnLtration building of Tuberculosis Hospital at R^hmond Highlands. Was ington
the Adams apartments in Seattle, the Warighup building, the Alki bath house, the Judge
Stratton residence, the Harry Clise residence, the Leighton apartments and many other
buildings in Seattle.



894 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

111 Cincinnati, Ohio, Mr. Jenkins was united in marriage to Miss Anna R. Bathgate, by
whom he has three children, as follows: Margaret, at home; Charles, who is twenty-two
years of age and a bricklayer in Chicago; and Ruth, a public-school student. Mr. Jenkins
is a member of the Eureka Lodge of Masons and in his political views is an earnest repub-
lican, keeping well informed on the questions and issues of the day yet not seeking or
desiring office. His life work is indicative of his financial progress, for he has been the
architect of his own fortunes and in that connection has builded wisely and well. His
home is at 714 Eleventh avenue in a house which he built in 1890, just after the great fire
and here he and his family have resided since.



W. PARRY SMITH.



There were many interesting experiences in the life record of W. Parry Smith,
who reached the American Pacific coast at a very early period in the development of this
section of the country. In the meantime he had visited China and the East Indies and
on one occasion he circumnavigated the globe. His visits in various ports and his life
on the high seas made his life record one in which various most interesting incidents
occurred, and afterward he became connected with the pilot boat service in San Francisco
bay. Afterward he transferred his operations to the northwest and Seattle came to know
him as a representative and valued citizen. He was born in London. England, July 28,
1836, the only child of W. Parry and Elizabeth (Ra}rmond) Smith. His father, who was
a sea captain, died of yellow fever while in one of the African ports and W. Parry Smith,
early thrown upon his own resources, started out as a cabin boy, sailing on an English
vessel that was engaged in trading with China and the East Indies. He earned rapid
promotion and in time began sailing under the American flag. He first visited the Pacific
coast in 1851 and on one of his voyages made the entire trip around the world. He went
to San Francisco first in 1861. His first papers were taken out in 1833 while he was
living at Baltimore, Maryland. In 1868 he returned to San Francisco and was employed
in connection with the lumber trade on the Pacific coast and on Puget Sound. He also
did pilot boat service near the Golden Gate.

Mr. Smith's connection with the Puget Sound country began in 1864. He was in the
employ of the Port Madison Mill Company of Port Madison until 1870, and for a year
was engaged in the milling business at Seattle. He afterward followed farming on the
Duwamish river for a short time and in 1873 purchased three and a quarter acres of land
near Seattle, on Lake Union, for fifty dollars per acre, paying for the place by grubbing
stumps at a dollar and a half per day. In 1878 he took a contract to carry the mail to
Snoqualmie, making the trip, a distance of forty-three miles, on horseback. He continued
in that work for two years and then was called to other public service, being elected in
1880 to the office of constable on the republican ticket. He filled that position for two
years and afterward was deputy sheriff for three years under Hon. J. H. McGraw. Sub-
sequently he became deputy United States marshal under Charles Hopkins and he was
deputy assessor for two years under W. H. Hughes. After retiring from office he turned
his attention to the real estate business and found that a profitable field of labor until
about igo4, when he retired from active business, spending his remaining days in the
enjoyment of well earned rest.

In San Francisco, May 2, 1867, Mr. Smith was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth
F. Porter, a native of Maryland, and the same year they came to the Puget Sound country.
Five children were born to them : Elizabeth M., now the wife of C. M. Easier, of Cali-
fornia, by whom she has two children, Ferdinand P. and Paddy; Sarah C, the wife of
Lewis Thom, of China; William T., living in Washington; Fannie P., the wife of J. D.
Mc Vicar, of Seattle, by whom she has one child, Mary Francis C. ; and Hettie May, the
wife of J. J. Roach, of Los Angeles. In 1881 Mr. Smith built the first house on the east
side of Lake Union. There was no other indication of settlement around this side of
the lake then and for years that location was considered "way out." Mr. Smith lived to
see remarkable changes in the city owing to its rapid growth and development, and




W. PARRY SMITH



^K {



\



' ' .'i '-it'.:?-



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 897

through his real estate activity he contributed in no small measure to the trend of public
progress.

For more than thirty years he was an exemplary member of Eureka Lodge of
Masons, holding closely to the teachings and tenets of the craft. Mrs. Smith is a member
of the Methodist Episcopal church. In municipal affairs Mr. Smith was ever regarded
as a public-spirited citizen. Active in the interests of Seattle and with faith in its future,
he did everything in his power to advance its growth and development. He died December
27, 1912. He made good use of his opportunities and his worth was widely acknowledged
by those with whom he came in contact. The experiences which came to him as cabin
boy and in his later seafaring career broadened his knowledge and gave him a correct
idea of life's values. He did all in his power to advance the interests of his wife and
children and to the ties of friendship he was also most loyal.



HENRY GULLIKSEN.



Henry Gulliksen, a Seattle lawyer of Wisconsin birth, being a native of Winnebago
county, was educated in the public and high schools of Grand Forks, North Dakota, and in
the College of North Dakota and his professional training was received in George Wash-
ington University at Washington, D. C., where he was graduated with the LL. B. degree
in 1904, while in 1905 the LL. M. degree was conferred upon him. Prior to his graduation
in law, however, he was employed in connection with banking in North Dakota. He was
admitted to practice m all the courts of the District of Columbia but sought the north-
west as the field of his labor, coming in 1905 to Seattle, where he has since engaged in
general law practice, having now a gratifying and satisfactory clientage. He knows the
necessity for thorough preparation and never fails to thoroughly master the points in his
case and the law applicable to the evidence. His ability is attested by his growing prac-
tice and his conformity to the highest ethical standards of the profession has gained him
the good will and confidence of fellow practitioners.

Mr. Gulliksen is a member of the Commercial Club and also of the Municipal League
and is interested in everything that pertains to the welfare and progress of the city and
to its substantial upbuilding.



GLENDOWER DUNBAR.



Glendower Dunbar, assistant superintendent of Seattle's municipal light and power
system, is an alumnus of the State University and since his college days has been con-
nected with electrical engineering. He was born December 16, 1880, at Newberry, Michigan,
a son of William Henry and Catherine Eleanor (Doust) Dunbar. His great-grand-
father, Cyrus Dunbar, was born in Bridgewater, Massachusetts, and was of Scotch descent.
He wedded Mary Stark, who was also of Scotch lineage and was a native of Bennington,
Vermont. His grandfather in the paternal line was Charles Smith Dunbar, who was
born June T. 1831, at Fabius, New York, and went to Minnesota and Wisconsin in the
year 1850. He returned, however, to Ohio and in 1852 removed to Michigan. There he
was united in marriage on the 5th of November, 1853, to Miss Orpah S. Norton, and in
1862 he went to California, driving an ox team across the plains with Tom Montgomery's
wagon train. He had the usual experiences of such a trip and in 1863 returned to Michigan.
The following year he enlisted for service in the Union army and proved his loyalty to his
country by the valiant aid which he rendered on southern battlefields. In 1872 he removed
to Eaton Rapids, Michigan, and on the 23d of September, 1883, became a resident of
Shelton Valley, where he died October 29, 1909, having attained the advanced age of
seventy-eight years.

The maternal grandfather of Glendower Dunbar was William Doust, who was born in
England, February 22, 1828, and at the age of nineteen years entered the ministry. He



898 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

came to America in 1856 and married Esther Moore, who was also a native of England,
the wedding being celebrated at Hillsdale, Michigan, June 2, 1857. He died May 20. 1885.

William Henry Dunbar, father of our subject, was born November 3, 1858, in Aurelius
township, Ingham county, Michigan, and attended the district and high schools there. At
Eaton Rapids, Michigan, on the nth of February, 1880, he married Catherine Eleanor
Doust, of Charlotte, Michigan. In January, 1883, he removed to Portland, Oregon, and has
since lived in that state or in Washington. He has devoted his attention at various times
to merchandising, to the operation of a flour mill, to the lumber business and to civil
engineering, and for a period of a year and a half was engaged in gold mining in Alaska,
British Columbia and the Northwest Territory in 1898-99. He is now engaged in the
practice of civil engineering in Grandview, Washington. His wife was born August 27,
1858, in Hillsdale, Michigan, and had private instruction in the general branches of learn-
ing and in music until she reached the age of twelve years, after which she attended public
and high schools in different places in Michigan, while later she studied music and painting
in Albion College of that state.

Glendower Dunbar pursued his education in the public schools of Washington and in
the University of Washington, in which he completed a course in electrical engineering
with the class of 1904. His early business experience was received in connection with
general merchandising and lumbering as an employe of the White River Mill Company at
Enumclaw, Washington, between the years 1894 and 1896. During his vacation periods he
was employed as clerk in a grocery store and as paper boy, as box maker, as shingle worker,
as mechanical draftsman and as chainman, his position being more and more one of respon-
sibility as his skill and efficiency increased. Following his graduation from the university
he began work for the city of Seattle in the erection of the first transmission line from
this city to Cedar Falls, and from August, 1904, was successively employed as an electrical
machinist, chief rate clerk and assistant electrical engineer until January, 1908, when he
was appointed chief electrical engineer and assistant superintendent of Seattle's municipal
light and power system, which position he still fills. Previous experience and training well
qualified him for the responsibilities of the position, the duties of which he discharges in
a most prompt, capable and satisfactory manner.

On the 29th of January, 1905, at Tacoma, Mr. Dunbar was married to Miss Esther
Blanch McCain, a daughter of Paris and Frances J. McCain. She was born in Oregon,
February 12, 1884, and the following year was brought by her parents to Seattle, where she
has since made her home. Her parents were pioneers of Oregon, her father having crossed
the plains in 1847 and her mother in 1853, and their home was established in the Willamette
valley. To Mr. and Mrs. Dunbar have been born three children, Helen Frances, Verna
Catherine and Donald Glendower, aged respectively eight years, four years and three
rrionths.

Mr. Dunbar had military training with the high school and university cadets, with
which he held the rank of captain and adjutant. He became a member of the Beta Theta Pi
and of the Jovian League. His political allegiance has always been given to the republican
party and his religious faith is indicated in his membership in the First Methodist Episcopal
church of Seattle. He belongs to the Commercial Club and to the Municipal League, asso-
ciations which indicate his interest in the welfare and substantial progress of his city, and
he is likewise a member of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers, election to which
is equivalent to an indorsement for high professional skill.



SYLVESTER J. BRIDENSTINE, M. D.

Dr. Sylvester J. Bridenstine, physician and surgeon of Seattle, was born December 30,
1851, in Pennsylvania, a son of James and Susan Bridenstine. who were likewise natives of
the Keystone state and of German descent. The father was a carpenter and contractor
and about the \'ear 1852 removed westward to Iowa City, Iowa, where he continued to
work at his trade and also engaged in farming for a while. He is still living near Iowa
City, Iowa, but the mother passed away about 1870.



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 899

Sylvester J. Bridenstine is the eldest of their six children. His early education was
acquired in the public schools of Iowa and later he attended the Iowa University
for three years, while subsequently he pursued a three years' medical course in that institu-
tion, being graduated in 1875 with the degree of M. D. He then located for practice in
Madison, Nebraska, where he actively followed his profession for iifteen years. He also
practiced for about eight years at Port Orchard, Washington, and in 1898 came to Seattle,
where he has since remained. Here he has been accorded a good practice, for he is very
careful in the diagnosis of his cases and is most conscientious in his professional service,
and as the years have gone on has kept in touch with the advanced thought, research and
discoveries of the profession. His ability has made him well known throughout not only
the city but the state and he ranks with the leading physicians of the northwest.

Fraternally Dr. Bridenstine is a prominent Mason, having attained the thirty-second
degree of the Scottish Rite in the consistory of Seattle, while of the Order of the Eastern
Star he is also a member. He likewise belongs to the Knights of Pythias. In politics he
has always been a republican but does not consider himself bound by party ties and fre-
quently votes for men and measures regardless of party affiliation. For about eighteen
years he has lived in Seattle and throughout this period has manifested a deep interest in
the work of public progress, although he has at all times made his professional duties the
foremost thing in his life. He belongs to the Nebraska State Medical Society, the King
County Medical Society, the Washington State Medical Society and the American Medical
Association. He is interested in everything that tends to bring to man the key to the
complex mystery which we call life, and by continued study is enlarging his field of useful-
ness and winning the strong indorsement of professional colleagues and contemporaries
as well as of the general public.



CYRIL STUTFIELD.



Cyril Stutfield, manager of the insurance department of the Northern Bond &
Mortgage Company of Seattle, was born in Middlesex county, England, February
17. 1S81, a son of Frederick and Harriett P. (Lowry) Stutfield, who are natives
of England and Ireland respectively. For a long period the father resided in
Middlesex county. England, where he engaged successfully in the shipping trade. Both
he and his wife are still living. They reared a family of twelve children, of whom Cyril
Stutfield is the seventh in order of birth. He has four brothers : Captain Martin Stut-
field, who is on the general staff operating in France in the present war ; Lieutenant Hubert
B. Stutfield, who with the Eighth Sufifolk is doing service in France; Captain P. L. Stut-
field, commanding the Ninth Company New Zealand Rifles and Lieutenant Bernard Stut-
field.

Cyril Stutfield pursued his education in Haileybury College, from which he was gradu-
ated in 1899. He served as a trooper of the Forty-ninth Montgomery Yeomanry in the
Boer war and was wounded at Warmbaths north of Pretoria, after which because of his
injuries he was honorably discharged. He went to Canada in 1902, settling at Medicine
Hat, Alberta, where he engaged in the real-estate business. Later he removed to Vancou-
ver, British Columbia, where he continued in the real-estate field for a period of eighteen
months. In 1006 he arrived in Seattle and became associated with the Studebaker interests,
dealing in automobiles, carriages, etc. That connection was maintained until 1908, when
he became secretary of the Olympic Motor Car Company, with which he remained for three
years. He next entered into his present business relations. He is well established as a
representative business man of the city.

On the 17th of September, 1910, Mr. Stutfield was married in Seattle to Miss Gladys
Hayes, a native of Minneapolis, Minnesota, who was reared, however, in Seattle, being a
representative of one of the old and prominent families of this city. They have become par-
ents of a son. Cliarles Marion, who was born in Seattle, July 15, I9ii- The family resi-
dence is at No. 2201 East Howe avenue, Mr. Stutfield being the owner of that property.
In politics he maintains an independent attitude. In religious faith he is an Episcopalian



900 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

and he belongs to the Young Men's Business Association, of which he was formerly the
president. In that connection he does all in his power to further the interests of the city
along the lines of normal and healthful development and in the improvement of civic
conditions. In a word, he is actuated by the spirit of progress and advancement and his
aid is a factor in bringing about steady growth along lines of municipal worth and value.



JOHN W. AND FRED MAGNUSON. ~

John W. and Fred Magnuson established business in Seattle in 191 1, doing auto repair
and machine work, in which connection they have built up an extensive trade, utilizing



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 110 of 142)