Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 111 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 111 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


about three thousand square feet of floor space and employing five men. Such is their
skill and ingenuity along mechanical lines that they can make any part of an automobile
and they also maintain a service station for the Studebaker car, although they do work
on all kinds of cars.

The brothers were born in Sweden and are sons of Magnus Pearson, who was also a
native of that country, where he engaged in business as a wood carver. He passed away
in Sweden in 1910 at the age of sixty-two years, while his wife, Mrs. Anna Pearson, also
a native of Sweden, died in 1905 at the age of forty-eight years.

It was in the year 1908 that John W. Magnuson came to Seattle. He had learned the
machinist's trade in his native country, beginning work along that line when fifteen years
of age, and in 1902 he had crossed the Atlantic to America, arriving in Seattle six years
later. His brother Fred was born on the 28th of February, 1885, and came to the new
world in 1909, after which he worked at the carpenter's trade until January i, 191 1, when
he joined his brother in their present business at No. 1424 Tenth avenue. Both are well
trained machinists and are capable of doing expert work on motor cars, their efficiency
having gained for them a liberal and growing patronage.

John W. Magnuson was married in 1913 to Miss Efifel Sweedman. who was born
in Seattle on the 17th of September, 1892, and they have one son, John W. Jr., whose birth
occurred in this city in January, 1915. Mr. Magnuson owns a pleasant home at No. 2200
North Thirty-eighth street. Both he and his brother have become well known in this city
and have made for themselves a creditable place in industrial circles.



A. A. PAYSSE.



A. A. Paysse, port warden of the city of Seattle, is a son of Sylvan and Mary Paysse,
both natives of France. The father there pursued his education, after which he came in
1865 to the United States, making his way to Chippewa county, Wisconsin, where he
engaged in farming until 1886. He then removed to Fan Claire, Wisconsin, where he
followed merchandising until 1889. In the latter year he came to Seattle and established
a mercantile business which his sons, A. A, and S. P. Paysse, are now conducting. He
remained active in the trade for twenty-two years but in 191 1 put aside business cares
and enjoyed a period of rest and retirement until his death, which occurred in 1913. He
was married in Chippewa county, Wisconsin, and had two children, Sibbie P. and A. A.

The latter was born in Chippewa county, Wisconsin, December 29, 1875, and at the
usual age became a pupil in the public schools. He afterward attended the public schools
of Eau Claire, Wisconsin, until 1889, when the family removed westward to Seattle and
here he continued his course as a public and high school pupil. On putting aside his
textbooks he became connected with his father's business and was thus actively associated
with mercantile interests until 1910, when he became interested in the excursion boat
business on Puget Sound. He operated two boats which he owned, and chartered as many
as four other vessels, being thus engaged until 1914, when he was appointed port warden
by Mayor Hiram Gill, which position he now fills. His experience in connection with the



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 901

excursion boat business throughly acquainted liim with the port and the duties of his
office and he is now faithfully and capably serving in that connection.

Mr. Paysse belongs to the Commercial Club and has membership with the Tillikums.
In politics he is a republican. He was a lad of thirteen years when he arrived in Seattle,
where he has since made his home, and he has witnessed the entire growth of the city
from the period of the fire down to the present, interested at all times in the woi'k of
public progress and cooperating wherever possible in the efforts to make Seattle a greater
and more beautiful metropolis.



ERNEST GEORGE EVERETT.

Ernest George Everett ranks foremost among those who have set standards of trade
in the northwest. The Everett tailoring establishment, of which he is the head, would do
credit to the American metropolis, and its proprietor possesses the spirit of initiative,
combined with that inventive genius and artistic skill which must ever be features of suc-
cessful sartorial work. Mr. Everett is a Canadian by birth, the place of his nativity being
Port Arthur, Ontario, and the date September 20, 1877. His parents were Charles Augus-
tus and Helen Mabel (Call) Everett. The father was born in London, England, August
12, 1847, and the mother in the state of New York on the 6th of May, 1850. Their mar-
riage was celebrated in Glyndon, Minnesota, May 6, 1872, and Mrs. Everett is still living,
making her home in Kansas City, Missouri. In the family are three surviving sons,
Laurence Frank; Frederick Charles, of Tacoma ; and Ernest George.

During the boyhood days of the last named the family became residents of Minnesota
and he pursued his education in the public schools of Duluth and Minneapolis, being grad-
uated from the Central high school of Minneapolis with the class of June, 1895. Long ere
he completed his course he was employed during vacation periods as an errand boy in a
millinery establishment, in a lithographing and publisliing house and with other business
concerns. Later he occupied the position of hotel clerk, was also clerk in a wholesale house
and clerk in a retail haberdashery. He afterward became traveling salesman for a tailoring
establishment and on the 13th of January, 1Q08, embarked in the tailoring business on his
own account. Today he is at the head of the foremost establishment of the kind in the
northwest, occupying elaborate quarters in the Henry building. The Sartorial Art Journal
for October, a New York publication devoted to men's fashions and art in dress, contained
a four page illustrated story of the development of the E. G. Everett Company. Theirs is
a most splendidly equipped establishment, presenting every phase and feature of the mod-
ern tailoring business. The furnishings are handsome and the appointments are perfect.
The business was established January 6, igo8, when Mr. Everett secured a half of a small
store on Third avenue, but the trade grew rapidly and on the ist of June, of the same
year, removal was made to more commodious quarters, and soon they were obliged to rent
two other rooms. In iQog the accommodations were still inadequate, necessitating another
removal. The company has been incorporated with a capital of ten thousand dollars.
Within a few years the annual sales totaled about forty thousand dollars and the trade has
since been steadily growing. On a most fair basis the business has been established.
Theirs is the only first class tailoring firm in Seattle that pays weekly wages instead of
piece work rates, and today theirs is the largest and best equipped tailoring establishment
in Seattle. Their ever increasing trade compels them to expand each season and the
concern stands as the achievement of a young man, who, with no capital save a few bor-
rowed dollars, indomitable perseverance and native attributes that in themselves are valua-
ble business assets when intelligently employed, has, within an incredibly short time, built
up a business of seventy-five thousand dollars a year and still growing. The firm uses
the finest woolens that can be procured from the mills of Europe and America and the
house originates many distinctive styles in women's tailoring. Tlieir new models are ac-
cepted as authoritative.

On the T2th of October, 1910, in Chehalis, Washington, Mr. Everett married Miss
Jessie Bella Vandewerker, a daughter of William N. Vandewerker. They attend and hold



902 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

membership in the Episcopal church and Mr. Everett gives his political allegiance to the
republican party. He has had thorough military training and experience, for in 1895 he
enlisted in Company F, of the First Minnesota National Guards, and in 1898 became a
member of the Thirteenth Infantry, Minnesota Volunteers, for service in the Spanish-
American war. He did duty in the Philippines during the war and the Filipino insurrec-
tion of i8gS and 1899. He joined Company A, of the First Infantry of the Minnesota
National Guard upon the reorganization of the First Regiment after the war in 1900 and
served as private, corporal, sergeant, first sergeant and sergeant major until 1906. In
April, 191 5, he joined Company A, of the Second Infantry, National Guard of Washington,
as a private, was promoted to corporal in July, 191 5, became sergeant in February, 1916
was subsequently promoted to regimental sergeant major and is in line for an early com-
mission. Joining the United Spanish War Veterans, he filled all of the chairs to that of
senior vice commander, and he was captain of Company C, of the Tillikums Drill Corps in
1913-14. Aside from his membership in the United Spanish War Veterans and the Tilli-
kums of Elttaes, he belongs to the King County Bolo Club, the Seattle Athletic Club, the
Metropolitan Club and the Washington State Art Association, of which he is a life mem-
ber. He is likewise identified with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He is a
young man. forceful and resourceful, ready for any emergency, and in his business life
he is a persistent, resolute and energetic worker, possessing strong executive powers, keep-
ing his hand steadily upon the helm of his business, and strictly conscientious in his deal-
ings with debtor and creditor alike. Keenly alive to the possibilities of every new avenue
opened in the natural ramifications of trade, he has passed over the pitfalls into which
unrestricted progressiveness is so frequently led and has been able to focus his energies in
directions where fruition is certain.



T. C. HAYDEN.



now



J. C. Hayden has been connected with shipping interests for a long period and is
serving as vice president of the Arlington Dock Company of Seattle, with which
he became associated in a comparatively humble capacity several years ago. His birth
occurred in Maine on the 19th of July, 1866, and he is a son of John H. and Mary D.
Hayden, also natives of the Pine Tree state. The father was in the government service
for many years and for a long period was deputy collector at Tacoma, having removed
with his family to the northwest. He passed away in 1898, when fifty-eight years of
age, and his wife died in 1889, at the same age. Many representatives of the Hayden
family have been seafaring men and Captain William O. Hayden, an uncle of our subject,
followed the sea on the Atlantic and Pacific coasts and another uncle was lost on the

Irish sea in 1879.

J. C. Hayden was educated in his native state and after leaving school at the age
of sixteen years became shipping clerk in a large factory and remained in that connection
until 1887, when he removed to Puget Sound, making his home at Tacoma, where he
resided until 1898. For some time he was shipping clerk for the Garretson, Woodruff.
Pratt Company and later he became connected with the steamboat business and served
as purser on many of the old Sound boats. In 1893 he served as purser for his company
in carrying out a contract with the Canadian Pacific, connecting with its line at Belling-
ham and c"arrying its passengers to Seattle by boat as at that time the road did not have
a branch into Seattle. In 1898 he was purser on the British ship Garronne, which ran
to the north until the fall of that year, when it plied between Seattle and the Hawaiian
islands, being one of the first large boats to make regular connections between this city
and Hawaiian ports. In the spring of 1899 he took a crew north by way of the Chilkoot
pass and on reaching Lake Bennett they whipsawed lumber, from which they constructed
a boat. As soon as the ice broke up they crossed Lake Bennett and continued their
journey, at length reaching Dawson, six hundred miles distant. They followed shipping
on the" Yukon river until the fall of 1900 and made a number of trips over the ice during
the winter.




J. C. HAYDEN



,U i- ^■'



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 905

After coming out from Alaska in 1901 Mr. Hayden became connected with trans-
portation interests in Seattle, entering the employ of the Arlington Dock Company. He
first held the position of wharfinger and from time to time was promoted in recognition
of his ability and enterprise and in 1905 was made manager of the company. He still
directs its affairs and is now filling the office of vice president. His long experience with
the various phases of shipping qualifies him excellently for the duties of his position and
under his management the company has prospered greatly. He is also manager of ex-
tensive orchard interests in Yakima and Benton counties and has likewise been successful
in that connection. He owns a good residence at No, 452 Newton and is one of the sub-
stantial men of his city.

Mr. Hayden was married in 1898 to Miss Musette Cole, a native of Indiana, and they
have five children: J. C, who was born in Seattle on Christmas Day, 1889; Mary, whose
birth occurred in Port Townsend, August 3. 1901 ; Frances, who was born at Port Town-
send on the 23d of December, 1903; Cyril, born in Seattle on the 24th of April, 1905; and
William, who was born in Seattle on the 2i3t of February, 1908.

Mr. Hayden is a republican in politics and although he has always taken the interest
of a good citizen in public affairs he has never been an aspirant for office. He holds
membership in the Arctic Brotherhood, having been one of the charter members at
Circle City, and is popular in that organization. In fact, all who have been brought in
close contact with him hold him in high esteem and warm regard, for his salient qualities
are those that characterize honorable manhood.



REUBEN E. NINON.



Reuben E. Nixon, deceased, was one of the owners and managers of Hotel Savoy of
Seattle and was long a well known figure in hotel circles in the northwest. He was born in
Auckland, New Zealand, August 10, 1870. His father, E. R. Nixon, was a native of Cam-
bridge, England, and became a pioneer resident of New Zealand, bein.g one of the first to
settle on the North island. The English government gave him a land grant for paying
his own fare there, as he did that of his wife, and for this they secured a grant of four
hundred acres. Mrs. Nixon bore the maiden name of Sarah Cape and was a native of
Oxford, England. E. R. Nixon was also one of the pioneers of the Pennsylvania oil
fields and at the time of the Alaska- Yukon-Pacific Exposition he visited Seattle. Reuben
E. Nixon was educated in the common schools of New Zealand and afterward engaged
in the lumber business in Australia for five years. He then came to the Puget Sound
country and devoted some time to the lumber trade but during the excitement of 1895
went to Cook's Inlet and in the following year to Circle City. During the winter of 1896-7
he was in the Klondike and followed mining until 1901, after which, in association with
Ralph Boyker, he purchased the Northern Hotel of Seattle from S. S. Bailey and conducted
it until 1910.

On the nth of April, 1911, Mr. Nixon opened Hotel Frye, the largest hotel in the city
at that time, acting as manager for George F. Frye, who is mentioned elsewhere in this
volume. He took charge of the hotel on a three years* contract on a basis of an interest
in the net profits and with an option to lease. When he severed his connection with
Hotel Frye, Mr. Nixon was succeeded in the management by Dan Bass and P. H. Watt.
He then joined W. D. King, formerly manager of the Butler Hotel, in purchasing
Hotel Savoy from E. F. Sweeney. This is a twelve-story building, probably the best
furnished hotel in the city. It contains two hundred and twenty-five rooms, is fireproof
and thoroughly modern in every particular, and ^fr. Nixon bent his energies to making
it the popular hotel of the city. There is no reason to doubt his success, for he had the
qualities of the successful hotel manager, studied the public and gave to his patrons what
they most desire for their comfort and entertainment. .\t the same time he was able to
control the business affairs so that substantial financial results accrued.

Mr. Nixon was married at the Butler Hotel in Seattle in November, 1900, to Mrs.

Vol. Ill— 40



906 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

Ida Kennedy, who was one of the first women on the Yukon river and now holds member-
ship with the Yukon Pioneers and the Seattle Pioneers. In her maidenhood she was Miss
Ida Quette and came to Seattle in 1886. Mr. and Mrs. Nixon adopted a son, George A.
Nixon, who is now cashier in the hotel. He was the first white boy in the Klondike gold
fields and is a graduate of Columbia University of Portland, Oregon.

Mr. Nixon voted with the republican party but was not an active party worker. He
was a life member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, associated with Lodge
No. 92, of Seattle, and he was also a life member of the Yukon Order of Pioneers. His
religious faith was that of the Episcopal church. His varied experiences in the northwest
made him thoroughly acquainted with its history and he bore his part in promoting the
business development which has led to substantial upbuilding and improvement in this
section. He passed away on the 12th of November, 1915.



RASMUS THOMPSON.



Rasmus Thompson, proprietor of one of Seattle's leading cafes and an enterprising,
successful business man in whose vocabulary there is no such word as fail, was born in
Stavanger, Norway, June 9, 1871, a son of Turner Thompson, who was also a native of
that country, where he followed farming and stock raising, winning prosperity and suc-
cess. He died in 1873 and is survived by his widow, Mrs. Rachel Thompson, who yet
resides at the old homestead in Norway. In their family were twelve children, of whom
nine are yet living.

Rasmus Thompson, who was the eleventh in order of birth, pursued his education in
the schools of his native country and spent his early life upon a farm to the age of six-
teen years, when he came to the new world, making his way to De Kalb county, Illinois.
There he followed agricultural pursuits until February, 1889, when he arrived in Seattle-
four months before the fire which largely devastated the city in June of that year. During
the first six months of his residence here he was employed by the Puget Sound Steam
Laundry and later secured a situation in a restaurant, working for others in that connec-
tion for a year. From his earnings he saved enough money with which to establish a cigar
store at No. 619 Pike street, beginning the business with a capital of one hundred and
twenty-five dollars. From the first, however, the undertaking was quite successful and he
conducted the business for about a year. He then sold out and entered the retail furni-
ture business, becoming proprietor of three dififerent stores which he successfully and
profitably conducted, one being at the corner of Sixth and Pike streets, the second at No.
505 Pike street and the third at 1424 Third avenue. His trade steadily grew and he
remained an active factor in the furniture business of the city for four years. He then
disposed of his interests in that line and traveled during the succeeding eighteen months.
Upon his return to Seattle he established a restaurant at Nos. 1418 and 1420 Third avenue,
having at that time the leading restaurant in the city. He conducted business there with
growing success until 1905, when he sold out and established the Roseland hotel and restau-
rant, but later he disposed of that business and again became proprietor of his old restau-
rant at Nos. 1418 and 1420 Third avenue. He there remained in business successfully until
the Klondike rush, when he sold out with a view of going to Alaska. He invested all his
savings in a company that intended to operate in Alaska but the company went into the
hands of a receiver and he lost his entire savings, amounting to three thousand dollars.
Undaunted and with marked courage he again started in the restaurant business, which
he has followed in various sections of the city. His experience qualified him for the
attainment of success that would offset his losses and at this time he is now in excellent
financial condition and is conducting one of the leading cafes in Seattle, known as Thomp-
son's Cafe, Incorporated, at Fourth and Pike streets. Mr. Thompson is manager and treas-
urer of the business and is today the pioneer restaurant man of the city, having continued
longer in that line than any other restaurant proprietor of Seattle. He also owns his
own home at the corner of Twenty-second street, East, and Lind street, together with a
considerable amount of other real estate. He deserves very much credit for what he has



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 907

accomplished. Many a man of less resolute spirit would have utterly failed in the face
of the difficulties and obstacles which he has had to encounter, but he resolved that success
should be his if it could be won by persistent and earnest effort and, ever keeping that
end in view, he has overcome all difficulties and obstacles in his path and worked his way
steadily upward.

Mr. Thompson is married and has two children. In politics he is now independent,
fraternally he is connected with the Ancient Order of United Workmen, the Eagles and the
Masons. He also belongs to the Automobile Club and was formerly a member of the
Commercial Club and the Chamber of Commerce. His religious faith is that of the
Methodist church and to its high standards he has always conformed his life, closely fol-
lowing its teachings. His entire career has been honorable and upright, winning for him
a gratifying measure of success and the merited regard and confidence of his fellowmen.
He came to this country a poor boy and has succeeded through his own efforts, earning his
living from the age of twelve years. Today he is in very comfortable financial circumstances
and his life record may well serve to encourage and inspire others who have to start out as
he did, empty handed.



NATHAN ECKSTEIN.



Nathan Eckstein is identified with a number of important business corporations of
Seattle and the northwest but is perhaps best known as the vice president of the firm of
Schwabacher Brothers & Company, Incorporated, prominent wholesale grocers. His energy
is a dynamic force in connection with any business with which he is associated and his
sound judgment carefully directs his enterprise and determination, so that substantial and
desirable results accrue.

Mr. Eckstein was born in Bavaria. Germany. January lo. 1873, and pursued his educa-
tion in the schools of Munich. Throughout the entire period of his connection with business
affairs he has been associated with the wholesale grocery trade. Coming to America, he
was for ten years, or from 1888 until 1898, identified with the wholesale grocery business
in New York city. He then sought the opportunities of the growing west and for the
past seventeen years has been in Seattle, where he has won prominent place in trade circles as
the vice president of Schwabacher Brothers & Company, Incorporated. This is an ex-
tensive house, its ramifying trade interests covering a broad territory, while its business
methods have at no time displayed any esoteric phase but have always been open to the
closest investigation and scrutiny.

Mr. Eckstein was married to Miss Mina A. Schwabacher, a daughter of Abraham
Schwabacher, and they have become the parents of two interesting little daughters, Joanna
and Babette. Mr. Eckstein is a member of the Seattle Lodge of Elks, of West Gate Lodge,
F. & A. M., also of the several Scottish Rite bodies of Masonry, and of Nile Temple,
A. A. O. N. M. S. He belongs to the Seattle Athletic Club, the Rainier Club and the Arctic
Club, and he numbers among his warm friends many of the leading members of those or-
ganizations and also of the prominent citizens of Seattle. In August, 1913, he was appointed
a member of the Seattle school board, was elected in December, of that year, for a three
years' term and is the present president of the board. He seeks to advance the interests
of the schools along broadening yet practical lines, and his influence and efforts have brought
about valuable results in that connection.



EDWARD H. JONES.



Edward H. Jones, actively identified with building operations in Seattle as tlie junior
partner in the firm of Jenkins & Jones, was born in Birmingham, England. July 6, 1861. a
son of John and Ann Jones. He attended boarding and commercial schools in his native



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 111 of 142)