Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 112 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 112 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


city until he reached the age of fourteen years, when he secured a clerkship with a manu-



908 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

facturer of safes, with whom he continued for a year. He afterward learned the jeweler's
trade, devoting three years to an apprenticeship in that line, after which he acquainted him-
self with the carpenter's trade, which he followed in England until 1882. He then made his
way to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he followed carpentering for three years, and on the expira-
tion of that period he turned his attention to the manufacture of sash, doors and blinds,
in which business he continued until 1899. He then sold out in Ohio and made his way to
Seattle, where he became a partner of his brother-in-law, J. L. Jenkins, under the firm style
of Jenkins & Jones, genera! contractors. A year later they removed to Nome, Alaska,
and continued in the contracting business there for a year, after which they returned to
Seattle. Here they have since followed a general contracting business and have been
accorded a very liberal patronage, their operations placing them among the leading con-
tractors of the city. They have done much important work, including the building of some
of the finest public structures and private residences of Seattle.

On the 3d of July, 1883, in Cincinnati, Ohio, Mr. Jones was joined in wedlock to Miss
Elizabeth Bathgate, by whom he has six children, as follows : Katharine Elizabeth, a nurse
in Seattle ; Charles Edward, who is twenty-nine years of age and a carpenter in San
Francisco ; Mrs. Emily May Garrett, a resident of San Francisco ; Oliver C, who is twenty-
four years of age and attends the University of Washington ; John C, a young man of
twenty-three years who is a carpenter in Seattle ; and Edith Ann, who is taking vocal les-
sons. The mother died in 1896 and Mr. Jones for a second wife wedded Margaret Bath-
gate, a sister of his first wife.

In his political views Mr. Jones is a democrat but is without ambition to hold public
office. He belongs to the National Union, to the Cambro-American, of which he is now
(1916) president, and to the Woodmen of the World but all outside interests are made
subservient to his business duties and activities, and along well defined lines of labor he
is working his way upward to the plane of substantial success.



FRANK DABNEY.



Frank Dabney, the assistant treasurer of the Puget Sound Traction, Light & Power
Company, comes from the beautiful little tropical isles known as Azores. He was there
born June 30. 1853, a son of John T. and Sarah H. (Webster) Dabney, his father having
at that time been United States vice consul to the islands. He completed his education in
the Massachusetts School of Technology, which he attended until 1873, when he went to
Pomeroy, Ohio, and took charge of his grandfather's property, which consisted of coal
mines and timber lands both in that locality and in western Virginia. The mining interests
were incorporated under the name of the Pomeroy Coal Company, in which connection he
operated five mines on the Ohio river. Frank Dabney became secretary of the company
and assistant superintendent of the business and thus continued until 1885, when he removed
to St. Paul, Minnesota, where he accepted the position of cashier with the Chicago, Bur-
lington & Northern Railroad, acting in that capacity until 1889. He then resigned and
went to Detroit, Michigan, where he organized the Detroit & Northern Railroad. After
six months he resigned and went to New York city, where he engaged with the Union
Pacific Railroad Company in its transfer department for three months. He afterward came
to Seattle as assistant treasurer for the Seattle Electric Company, operated by the Stone
& Webster interests, and so remained until January i, 1910, when he was appointed comp-
troller of the company. They operate many power and electric railway plants all over the
United States. In April, 1912, Mr. Dabney became assistant treasurer of the Seattle division
of the Puget Sound Traction Light & Power Company which succeeded the Seattle Electric
Company and consolidated with the other Stone & Webster companies of Puget Sound.
This position he now holds. It is one of responsibility and importance but his powers are
entirely adequate to the duties which devolve upon him.

In September, 1879, in Pomeroy, Ohio, Mr. Dabney was married to Miss Mary Bogan,
and they have a son and daughter : John P., who is in the auditing department of the Puget



IIISTORY OF SEATTLE 909

Sound Traction, Light & Power Company; and Editli, a teacher in St Nicholas private
school.

Mr. Dabney is prominently known in club circles of Seattle, holding membership witli
the University, Arctic, Seattle Golf and Country and Seattle Tennis Clubs. The' nature of
his interests and activities is further indicated in the fact that he is a member of the
Chamber of Commerce, Municipal League, the American Civic Federation and the National
Economic League. In his religious faith he is a Unitarian and in political belief a repub-
lican. He studies closely the great and grave civic, sociological and economic problems
of the present age and keeps in touch with advanced thought.



CLAUDE H. ECKART.



Claude H. Eckart is a plumbing and heating engineer and contractor doing business at
1614 Third avenue, Seattle. He was born in Ohio September ig, 1880, and was the second
in order of birth in a family of five children, their parents being J. S. and Elizabeth
Eckart, both of whom were of German descent, the great-grandparents having come to
America, where they founded tlie family at an early day. The lather was a mechanic
and in 1907 removed with his family to Seattle, where his wife passed away in 1910. He
is still living in this city at the age of sixty-four years.

Claude H. Eckart acquired his education in the public schools of Ohio and with expe-
rience as his teacher he has also learned many valuable lessons. He has continually studied
along the line of his profession, in which he has remained since making his initial step
in the business world. He took up general plumbing and heating work as his chosen voca-
tion and, undeterred by the difficulties and obstacles which always bar the path of every
individual, he has made advancement and is now one of the foremost representatives of
his line of business in Seattle. In 1908 the business was organized under the name of the
Eckart Plumbing & Heating Company and was incorporated. This company has installed
the plumbing and heating in some of the large buildings in Seattle and vicinity and enjoys
an unassailable reputation for business integrity, enterprise and reliability, as well as for
the high quality of the work done. Their patronage is now very extensive, making their
establishment one of the foremost of the kind in the northwest.

In Akron, Ohio, in 1904, Mr. Eckart was united in marriage to Miss Clara L. Smith,
a daughter of John B. Smith, who was a farmer but in later years lived retired, his death
occurring about ign. Mr. and Mrs. Eckart have three .sons: Wilbur, ten years of age,
now attending school : Clarke, aged eight, also in school ; and Harold, four years of age.
Mr. and Mrs. Eckart hold membership in the Plymouth Congregational church in Seattle.
In politics he holds largely to republican principles, but is liberal in the exercise of his
right of franchise. Aside from his business he has been active and prominent in public
affairs. He was the president of the Seattle Rotary Club in 1914 and became governor of
the northwest district of the International .\ssociation for the year 1915-16.



L. G. MORRIS.



■L. G. Morris, proprietor of a business conducted under the name of the Overland
Transfer Company, was born in Kentucky, April 23. 1869. His father. John S. Morris,
also a native of that state, engaged in the profession of school teaching. He died in the
year 1899, at the age of seventy-two, while his wife, Mrs. Mary Morris, a native of Vir-
ginia, now resides at Rochester, Washington, and is enjoying excellent health at the age
of eighty-seven years, her birth having occurred on Christmas Day. Mr. Morris was a
veteran of the Civil war, having enlisted in the Fourteenth Kentucky Cavalry, with which
he served for four years and six months. He was wcunded, which occasioned the loss
of his left eye, and he was twice shot through the body and in the right thumb. His family
numbered eleven children.



910 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

Following the removal of the family to Kansas City, Missouri, L. G. Morris pursued his
education in the schools of that place. He was a young man of twenty years when in
1889 he came to the coast, making his way to Portland, Oregon, where he engaged in the
teaming business for ten years. With the Holman Company he came to Seattle in 1899
and here spent about seven years in the employ of the Eyres Transfer Company, acting as
manager during the last two and one-half years. Later he became manager for the George-
town Transfer Company, with which he was thus connected for four years and later he
was manager of the Georgetown Reliable Company for three years. On the expiration of
that period he embarked in business on his own account on the 15th of June, 1913, starting
out in a very humble capacity, however. The business has grown rapidly and along sub-
stantial lines and lie now utilizes several trucks and one team and furnishes employment
to many men. Notwithstanding tliat he started at about the beginning of hard times in
the northwest, he has built up a fine business and is recognized as a man of unquestioned
financial standing.

Mr. Morris has been married twice. In 1894, in Portland, Oregon, he wedded May
Lascher, by whom he had a son, Merrill, who was born in Portland, April 18, i8g6. The
wife and mother passed away in Seattle, in 1900. and on the 13th of June, 1904, Mr. Morris
was again married, his second union being with Miss Gertrude Scribner, a native of North
Dakota. To them have been born three children, as follows: Clara, whose birth occurred
March 18. 1905: Grant Lee, whose natal day was January 11, 1912: and William Allen, born
August 24, 1914. All are natives of Seattle.

Mr. Morris belongs to Seattle Lodge, No. 7, L O. O. F., and his religious faith is
evidenced by his membership in the Presbyterian church. He gives his political allegiance
to the republican party and keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day
ibut does not seek nor hold office, concentrating his energies and efforts upon tlie upbuilding
lOf a business that has now reached large and gratifying proportions.



HENRY JEROME GORIN.

Henry Jerome Gorin, an attorney of Seattle, comes of French ancestry, the first repre-
sentatives of the name in America settling in what is now Fairfax county, Virginia. John
Gorin was a corporal in the war of the Revolution and was one of the youngest soldiers
enlisted for service against Great Britain. He afterward removed to Kentucky and was
the owner of the Mammoth cave, one of the large domes there being named for him.
He recruited a regiment during the War of 1812, was its first colonel and later received
a general's commission. One of the earliest settlers of Kentucky, he was closely associated
with the development of the state in many ways and donated to Glasgow the town site.
Marcellus Gladden Gorin, D. D., father of Henry J. Gorin, was for many years a leading
Presbyterian clergyman at St. Louis, Missouri. He married Joanna Knott, a sister of
J. Proctor Knott, former congressman and governor of Kentucky.

Their son, Henry Jerome Gorin, was born in Scotland county, Missouri, January 30.
1880, and completed his education in Washington University at St. Louis, where he won
the LL. B. degree in 1902. Entering upon the active practice of law, he became probate
attorney for the Lincoln Trust Company of St. • Louis and was in private practice in that
city from June, 1902, until August, 1907. after which he was attorney for and secretary
of the Cullman Coke & Coal Company and the Cullman Southwestern Railway Company,
which built some new lines of railway in Alabama and opened a large area of coal and
timber. While in practice in St. Louis he was also first assistant and then professor of
medical jurisprudence at the American Medical College of that city.

In May. 191 1. Mr. Gorin came to Seattle and in the intervening period has become
well established in his profession, being now accorded a liberal and distinctively repre-
sentative clientage. He is familiar with every department of the law but, while he con-
tinues in general practice, he has concentrated his efforts upon civil law and his previous
experience and constant study have well qualified him to carry on important professional
work.




^p^-?^




HISTORY OF SEATTLE 913

On the 24th of March, 1914, in Seattle, Mr. Gorin was married to Miss Gladys
Anderson Eyres, a daughter of Walter and Madeleine Eyres. Her father is an old resi-
dent of Seattle and established the Eyres Storage & Distributing Company and the Eyres
Transfer Company, now the Eyres & Seattle Drayage Company. Mr. and Mrs. Gorin
are members of the Westminster Presbyterian church and he belongs to the Monks Club,
the Arctic Club and the Earlington Golf and Country Club. In politics he is a democrat.
He has never been a politician in the sense of office seeking, however, as almost the only
public position which he has filled was that of deputy jury commissioner at St. Louis. He
has always preferred to concentrate his energies upon his professional duties and at all
times has conformed his practice to the highest ethical standards of the profession.



CHARLES DOUGLAS FULLEN.

Charles Douglas Fullcn enjoys the reputation of being an excellent trial lawyer and
a counselor whose judgment can be relied upon. He is now practicing in Seattle, to which
city he came in igo6. His birth occurred in Agency City, Wapello county, Iowa, July 8,
i860, his parents being John and Maggie (Sage) Fullen. The father was born in New
York a year or two after the removal of his parents from Ireland to the United States.
The mother was born in Indiana, but her ancestors were Virginians, and in 1858, at Fair-
field, Iowa, she became the wife of John Fullen.

After mastering the branches of learning taught in the public schools of his native
state, Charles Douglas Fullen attended the Iowa Wcslej-an University at Mount Pleasant,
Iowa, and the old Douglas University, now merged into the University of Chicago. Later,
when twenty years of age, he was graduated from the law department of the State Univer-
sity of Iowa. During vacation periods he assisted his father as a dealer in grain, live
stock and lumber, and also worked for the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Com-
pany, in which connection he became well acquainted with the earlier officials of that road,
his father having been its agent at the end of the line when it extended only sixty-nine
miles west of the Mississippi. Charles D. Fullen was also employed in a small bank but
entered upon the practice of law at Fairfield, Iowa, in August, 1882, and continued there
until 1894. He afterward practiced law in Chicago from i8(j8 until 1901, when he removed
to Ottumwa, Iowa, thus continuing in practice near his old home from that date until 1906.

In the latter year Mr. Fullen removed to Seattle, where he has practiced continuously
since July, 1907. While in Chicago he for three years engaged in trial practice, trying the
important cases of the firm with which he was associated. He defended several murder
cases with success, although not pretending to be a criminal lawyer. He also successfully
conducted other criminal cases, notably the famous Jorgcnsen hair-clipping case. Some
of his greatest work involved the question of ownership and control of the quotations of
the Chicago Board of Trade, which cases were heard in every district of the seventh
(United States) judicial circuit courts, including the circuit court of appeals and finally
in the supreme court of the United States. Mr. Fullcn was considered specially informed
on board of trade and New York stock exchange litigation. He had a remarkable experi-
ence in the United States supreme court on May 31, 1904, in such litigation, when that
court took a ten minutes' recess, just before an adjournment for the term, to consider
an application for a stay of mandate and certiorari and then sustained it. This is said to
be the only time the supreme court ever followed such a course. During the period of
his practice in Chicago Mr. Fullen was in partnership with Jacob J. Kern and connected
with other prominent lawyers.

In politics Mr. Fullen has always been a democrat and a pronounced champion of
party principles. Most of the offices he has ever held have been in the strict path of his
profession. He was commissioner of the United States circuit court from 1883 until 1894-
He served as a member of the city council, the school board, and on various commissions,
state and county, in Iowa. He served as United States attorney for the southern district
of Iowa from 1894 until 1898 through appointment of President Cleveland and an ad
interim appointment by Justice Brewer, and during his term of office he tried about two



914 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

thousand jury cases, some of them establishing precedents which afterward became and
still are important. His record in this office has not been excelled anywhere. Mr. Fullen
was elected a member of the democratic state central committee of Iowa from the first
congressional district in 1886 and was reelected by that district for six terms, He became
chairman of the committee in 1890 and was reelected in 1891, 1892 and 1893, during the
time of Iowa's only democratic governor since 1858, Horace Boies. He was also closely
allied with the national committee in its western work during the presidential campaign of
1892. He took an active part in public affairs in Iowa, both in his city and state, and as
a lawyer he has ever enjoyed the confidence of the bar and has won a well merited reputa-
tion as an excellent trial lawyer and as a counselor whose judgment can ever be relied
upon. He was connected with the bar associations and other legal societies of Iowa and
continued in connection with the profession there until 1906.

On the 5th of December, 1881, at Mount Pleasant. Iowa, Mr. Fullen was united in
marriage to Miss Anna Julian, a daughter of M. L. and Mary Julian, and a native of Adams
county, Illinois. They now have two children: Julian p., born at Mount Pleasant, May 25,
1883; and Donald D., born at Fairfield, Iowa, December 15, 1888. Mr. Fullen was long
connected with many secret societies but is not active in these now, though very friendly
to them. It is said of him that he at one time knew more people in the state of Iowa
than any other man and he enjoyed the confidence and esteem of all the judges and other
officials regardless of politics. In temperament he is a close student, careful and conserv-
ative, tolerant of the rights of others and loval to all.



GEORGE A. SPENCER.



George A. Spencer, president of the Seattle school board and recognized as one of the
republican leaders of King county, has for a long period been closely and helpfully asso-
ciated with the educational interests of this part of the state. Previously he was accounted
a most capable teacher, and although he is now devoting his energies to the real estate busi-
ness, his interest in the schools has never abated and as president of the board he is putting
forth efifective, earnest efifort to make Seattle schools meet the demands of the hour as a
preparation for life's practical responsibilities and duties.

Mr. Spencer is a native of Pennsylvania, his birth having occurred in Burlington on
the I2th of May, 1869. His father, Horace Spencer, was born near Pouglikeepsie. New
York, and is now a retired farmer living in Burlington. He is numbered among the Civil
war veterans, having served with the One Hundred and Forty-first Pennsylvania Volun-
teers throughout the war as regimental bugler. He comes of a family possessed of marked
musical talent and one of his sons. Floyd H. Spencer, is now at the head of the Rochester
(N. Y.) Conservatory of Music. The Spencer family is of English. Scotch and Irish lineage
and was represented in the patriot army during the Revolutionary war, while the paternal
grandfather of George A. Spencer became one of the pioneer settlers of New York. The
mother, who bore the maiden name of Elvira Johnson, was born in Pennsylvania, within
a mile of her present home, and is a representative of one of the early Connecticut families.

After attending public schools George A. Spencer continued his education in Cazenovia
Seminary of New York and in the Susquehanna Collegiate Institute of Pennsylvania. He
took up the profession of teaching near St. Paul, Minnesota, also taught at St. Paul Junc-
tion and during his last year in that state was a principal in the schools of West St. Paul.
On the 7th of July, 1890, he arrived in Tacoma. Washington, where he devoted eighteen
months to dift'erent occupations. He then went to Lewis county, where he engaged in
teaching for seven years and at the end of that time was elected county superintendent,
which position he filled for four years. He was next made deputy superintendent of King
county under W. G. Hartranft and continued to act in that capacity for two and one-half
years, when he became principal of the Mercer school, so continuing for two years. On
the first of July, 1907, he turned his attention to the real estate business and in connection
with R. E. Haines bought out the firm of J. D. McDermott & Company. For five years
he continued in partnership with Mr. Haines and then became sole proprietor of the busi-



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 915

ness, which he has since conducted independent!}' under the name of George A. Spencer
& Company. He does a general real estate business, including loans, insurance and rentals,
and handles city and farm property. He has good real estate holdings in Seattle, in King
county and elsewhere, for his investments have been judiciously made and his property has
risen in value.

On the i8th of June, 1901, in Seattle, Mr. Spencer was united in marriage to Miss
Gertrude L. Winsor, her father being Philip Winsor, one of the pioneer lumbermen of
Seattle. Mr. Spencer holds membership with the Masons and with the Odd Fellows lodge
at Chehalis, Lewis county. He takes an active interest in the work of the Beacon Hill
and Jefferson Park Improvement Clubs, with both of which he holds membership, and
he is also identified with the Real Estate Association. In past years he was a member
of the Chamber of Commerce and of the Commercial Club. In politics he has always been
a republican, active in support of the party since age conferred upon him the right of
franchise. He has served as a member of the city, county and state conventions, has been
a member of the central committee of Seattle and has been a delegate to the state con-
vention from King county. For two and one-half years he has served on the Seattle
school board, having been appointed to fill out the unexpired term of H. D. Craven and
in Decemlier, 1913, elected to the position. He was chosen president of the board and
his previous practical experience as an educator well qualifies him to carry on the work.
He brought to bear a ready understanding of educational problems and possibilities and
his work is producing most commendable results.



JOHN J. SULLIVAN.



John J. Sullivan is the junior partner in the law firm of Beeler & Sullivan, general
practitioners at the bar of Seattle. He was born at Worcester, Massachusetts, February 8,
1885, a son of Patrick J. and Johanna (Coffey) Sullivan. The father, still a resident of Wor-
cester, was a pioneer railroad man, but is now living retired. He was the first foreman of
the section crew on the Boston & Albany Railroad, Worcester division, and followed rail-
road work all of his life. At the time of the Civil war he responded to the country's call
for troops, serving in Emmett's Guards, called the Fighting Ninth. He was a native of
Ireland and came to America in the early part of 1863. His wife was also born on the
Emerald isle and came to the new world on the same ship as her husband. They were
both from County Kerry and they were married in Worcester, Massachusetts. To them
were born eleven children, nine of whom have passed away, the living being John J. and
Frank P., the latter pursuing a course of dentistry at Georgetown University, Wasliington.



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 112 of 142)