Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 114 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 114 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


being recognized by all who know him. His life is not self-centered but reaches out along
lines of usefulness to his fellowmen and in much that he does he is actuated by a strong
spirit of humanitarianism.



W. CHESTER MORSE.



VV. Chester Morse, treasurer and manager of the Harper Hill Brick Company, and
also vice president and manager of the Lewis, Wiley & Morse Company, hydraulic con-
tractors of Seattle, was born in Evanston, Illinois, in August, 1874, a son of William M.
and Mary A. Morse. The father was born in Michigan and served in the Civil war as a
member of the Seventh Illinois Cavalry until 1865, having enlisted on the first call for
volunteers after the outbreak of hostilities. When the war closed and he had recovered
from the effects of a nine months' term in Andcrsonville prison, he turned his attention to
the lumber business as manufacturer and to contract work in Chicago, being thus actively
identified with industrial interests of that city until 1882, when he removed to Seattle, and
continued in the same line of business until 1889. In that year he retired, his death occur-
ring in 1913.

W. Chester Morse was a lad of eight years at the time of the removal to Seattle and
here he attended the public and high schools, until he made his initial step into the busi-
ness world.

After a varied experience of several years, during three of which he worked in the
wholesale department of the Stewart & Holmes Drug Company, and three years in a whole-
sale brokerage house, he took up the study of mining engineering by correspondence, at
the same time engaging in mining, prospecting and contracting, including work in Wash-
ington, British Columbia and Alaska. After a period of years he entered the employ of the
W. C. Hill Brick Company. A reorganization took place and Mr. Morse was made treas-
urer and manager, wliich dual position he has filled until the present time.

At the time of the Jackson street regrade, the firm of Lewis & Wiley obtained his
services to organize and handle the work of this immense project. So successfully was this
accomplished that the Dearborn and Lane street contracts were started simultaneously,
with a tremendous undertaking in Portland, involving the expenditure of more than a
million and a quarter dollars. Mr. Morse being made vice president and manager of the
Lewis-Wiley Hydraulic Company.

The construction work of the Lewis-Wiley Hydraulic Company being completed the
firm of Lewis, Wiley & Morse was formed with Mr. Morse in a similar capacity.

Mr. Morse is very proud of his work in the hydraulic field, feeling that he has had
the opportunity to solve a number of problems that heretofore had baffled mining engineers.



924 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

and when it is understood that upward of thirteen million cubic yards of earth have been
moved by hydraulic methods under his direction, his feeling can be readily understood.

Mr. Morse was married in Seattle on the pth of February, 1908, to L. Pearl Case and
gives his wife credit for what success he has had. They have three children.

Mr. Morse was for seven years a member of the Washington National Guard, belong-
ing to Company E, First Infantry, of which company he was commander for the last
eighteen months of his service. He belongs to the Municipal League, and is interested in
the things pertaining to the w-elfare and upbuilding of the city, and to the furtherance of
its best interests. His work is directly connected with many public improvements and he
has looked to the welfare and benefit of the city as well as to tlie promotion of individual
success in the execution of his contracts.



, GEORGE .AiLEXANDER VIRTUE.

For the past eighteen years George Alexander Virtue has been successfully engaged
in the real estate and loan business in Seattle, where he first took up his abode more
than a quarter of a century ago. He is a son of George Jackson and Jane (Forsyth)
Virtue, natives of Delaware and Pennsylvania respectively. The military record of his
forebears is one of which he has every reason to be proud. He is k great-grandson
of an officer in the American Revolution, grandson of a soldier of the War of 1812, and
son of a volunteer of the Seventh Minnesota Regiment in the Civil war.

George A. Virtue came to Seattle in March, 1888, and in 1890 went to Minnesota to be
married, returning to this city, however, in January, 1891. Here he was engaged in the
clothing business until 1898 and then entered his present field, having since built up an
extensive and profitable business in real estate and loans.

On the nth of September, 1890, at St. Paul, Minnesota, Mr. Virtue was united in
marriage to Miss Rhoda Lovisa Smith, a native of Wisconsin and a daughter of Joshua
and Mary (Higham) Smith, the former born in Worcester, England, and the latter a
representative of an old family of Madison, Wisconsin. Mr. and Mrs. Virtue have three
children, namely : Lawrence Ward, Chauncey Higham and Eloise Beach, all of whom
are natives of Seattle.

Mr. Virtue has been prominent in many civic and social organizations. He was one
of the founders of tlie Seattle General Hospital, one of the organizers of the Seattle
Commercial Club and is also a member of the Chamber of Commerce, the Arctic Club
and the Municipal League. At the present time he is state president of the State Society
of the Sons of the American Revolution. He and his wife first joined the First Presby-
terian church and later became charter members of the Westminster Presbyterian church.
They are well known and highly esteemed throughout the city, the circle of their friends
being almost coextensive with the circle of their acquaintances.



ALFONSO PAINE SAWYER.

Alfonso Paine Sawyer, secretary and one of the directors of the Post-Intelligencer
Company of Seattle, was born in Millbury, Massachusetts, November 13, 1859. His father,
Samuel Sawyer, a native of Maine, served for four years in the Civil war with the Thirty-
sixth Massachusetts Regiment and died in the year 1905 at the very venerable age of ninety-
one years. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Lucinda Bacon, was also a native of
Massachusetts and died in 1890, at the age of seventy-six years.

Alfonso P. Sawyer was educated in Worcester Academy and was graduated from Yale
College in 1880, being a classmate of Bishop Keator and W. A. Peters. In 1880 he went
to Portland. Oregon, where he was engaged to teach Latin and Greek in the Bishop Scott
Academy, remaining in that connection for two years. He afterward took up the study
of law with the firm of Effinger & Bourne, of Portland, and a year later he became pay-




GEORGE A. VIRTUE



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 927

master's cleric with Colonel J. P. Camby. In December, 1886, he was admitted to the bar
and later he engaged in the mining brokerage business for two years. In the spring of
1889 he went to Victoria, British Columbia, as the express agent for the Northern Pacific
Company and in 1890 he removed to Spokane, where he engaged in the real estate business
for two years. Afterward he became office attorney and assistant secretary of 'the Wash-
ington Water Power Company of Spokane, occupying that position until 1895, when he
became private secretary to Senator John L. Wilson, with whom he remained until the expi-
ration of the senator's term in office. In the fall of 1899 Senator Wilson and E. C. Hughes
purchased the Seattle Post-Intelligencer and since that time Mr. Sawyer has been one of
the directors and the secretary of the company and is thus actively connected with the
foremost journal of the northwest.

In 1904 Mr. Sawyer was appointed by Governor Meade to act as one of the regents
of the University of Washington and occupied that position for more than five years or from
January, 1904, until August, igog. For several years he has been practically retired from
business except for the attention which he gives to his official duties as secretary of the
Post-Intelligencer.

Mr. Sawyer is a member of the Psi Upsilon, a college fraternity. He is also a member
of the University Club and the Yale Club of New York and was formerly identified with
the Seattle Golf and Athletic Clubs. He belongs to the Episcopal church and in his polit-
ical views is a republican. He has been actively and prominently concerned with many
events and interests which have had to do with the history and with the upbuilding of the
northwest and his activities have been of an important character, as shown by his present
connection in journalistic circles.



GARFIELD A. DE LONG.



Garfield A. De Long is at the head of the brokerage and real estate firm of G. A.
De Long & Company, Incorporated, handling notes, bonds, loans, stocks, mortgages, war-
rants and real estate. He is a young man but already has in this connection built up a
business of substantial and gratifying proportions. He was born at Mars Hill, Maine, May
22. 1881, a son of Hatfield A. and Jane (Barber) De Long. The De Long family came
originally from the city of Ost, France, in the year 1790 and settled in New York. The
maternal grandfather, Robert W. Barber, came from Ireland to the new world and estab-
lished his home in St. Andrews, New Brunswick. Hatfield A. De Long, a native of Penn-
sylvania, was born in Pittsburgh and became a lumberman, in which business he is still
active and successful. His wife, a native of Perry, Maine, is now deceased.

Garfield A. De Long is the third in order of birth in their family of five sons and two
daughters. He was educated in the public and high schools of Mars Hill and in Brooks
University, now the University of Maine. He started out in life on his own account on
attaining his majority and. having prepared for the bar, entered upon the active practice
of law, which he followed for three and a half years in Bangor, Maine. He afterward
spent five years as a member of the bar at Calais, Maine, and for five years he served as
justice of the peace and decorum -until 1903. He then removed to the west and in igo8
became a resident of Seattle, where he entered the real estate business, in which he has
since been successfully engaged. He has also operated in the building line, doing specula-
tive building and erecting a number of modern bungalows which are an attractive feature
in the architectural beauty of the city. He is also secretary and treasurer of the firm of
G. A. De Long & Company. Incorporated, and in that connection handles much valuable
commercial paper and figures prominently in financial circles.

Mr. De Long was married in Vancouver, B. C, on the 4th of July. igii. to Mrs. Anna
L. .Austin, a native of Pennsylvania, and a daughter of William J. Dwyer. By a former
marriage she has a daughter, Angila M.. who was born at Milo, Maine, October 9, 1901.

Mr. and Mrs. De Long are Episcopalians in religious faith. Fraternally he is con-
nected with the Ancient Order of United Workmen and he is also quite active in politics,
supporting the democratic party. Liberal educational opportunities qualified him for life's



928 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

practical and responsible duties. He had the assistance and guidance of his father in early
life to enable him to make a good start, but since coming to Seattle has been dependent
entirely upon his own efforts and has become well established in business, having a larj^t
clientage in the field of real estate, loans and brokerage.



FR.A.NK L. STETSON.



Frank L. Stetson, chief of the fire department at Seattle, was born in Lmcolnville,
Kno.x county, Maine, December 19, 1853, his parents being Amasa and Sarah S. Stetson.
In 1865 the family removed to Boston, Massachusetts, and there Frank L. Stetson attended
the graded schools, which he followed with an academic course in Dean Academy at Frank-
lin, Massachusetts. In 1869 he removed west, settling in Minnesota, and was there employed
in the lumber mills. His attention was afterward given to lumber manufacturing for a
considerable period, but for a number of years he has been a prominent figure in connection
with the organization and management of fire departments in various cities. He was elected
chief engineer of the Minneapolis fire department March i, 1882, and held that position
until January, 1891, when he reentered the lumber manufacturing business. However, in
January, 1896, he was once more elected chief of the fire department and thus remained
until 1899, when he resigned his position and went to Alaska, spending about four years
in the northwest. In 1903 he returned to Minneapolis, but in May of the same year removed
with his family to Seattle, where he once more became actively interested in lumber manu-
facturing. His reputation for ability as a fire chief, however, led to his appointment as
chief of the Seattle fire department on the loth of June, 191 1, by Mayor Dillon, and he
is the present incumbent in the office. He has organized or reorganized three different fire
departments which he has brought up to a high standard of efficiency and he is considered
one of the most prominent and capable fire chiefs in the United States.

On the 27th of April, 1879, at Taylors Falls, Wisconsin, Mr. Stetson was married to
Miss Ida L. Winslow, a daughter of Carpenter H. Winslow, of Taylors Falls. They have
four children: Horatio J., Vine G., Zuhrah Temple, the wife of Abe Courtright; and
Frank K. Mr. Stetson is a past commander of Dims Commandery, No. 7, K. T., of Minne-
apolis, and is a well known Mason. His life, however, has been practically given to the
lumber industry and to service in connection with fire departments. He has made a most
close and thorough study of the best methods of fighting fires and his careful organiza-
tion of the Seattle fire department has greatly promoted its efficiency. He is regarded
as authority upon any subject relating to fire departments and his work has been of the
greatest value.



FENTON BLAKEMORE WHITING.

Fenton Blakemore Whiting, who began practicing medicine in Seattle in January, 1892,
was born in Quincy, California, May 7, 1866, a son of Fenton Berkeley and Martha Jane
(Mastin) Whiting. The father was an attorney and early pioneer of California and
became a prominent political leader of that state. He was a descendant of the Blair,
Braxton, Bannister and Whiting families of Virginia, who sent many representatives to
join the American army fighting for the independence of the nation. The Mastin family
was an old family of Mississippi.

Fenton B. Whiting completed his literary education in a high school of California
and afterward attended the Cooper Medical College of San Francisco, from which he wa=
graduated in the class of 1891. He has since devoted his life to the practice of medicine
and surgery and in January, 1892, came to Seattle, having been appointed superintendent
of the King County Hospital, which position he filled for four years. Upon his retirement
in 1896 he entered upon the private practice of medicine and surgery, to which he has
since devoted his efforts and his energies. His professional duties are most promptly, con-



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 929

scientiously and capably discharged and he displays ability along both lines. He is a char-
ter member of the American College of Surgeons and the only public work that he has
done was that which came to him as superintendent of the King County Hospital. He
filled the oflice of chief surgeon for the White Pass & Yukon Railway at Skagway, Alaska,
during the construction of the line and was also chief surgeon for the Copper River &
Northwestern Railway at Cordova, Alaska, during its building. He is now surgeon for
the Alaska Steamship Company, the Pacific Alaska Navigation Company and the Hum-
boldt Steamship Company.

In 1901, at Tacoma, Washington, Dr. Whiting was united in marriage to Miss Helen
Grow, a daughter of John Grow. She was reared in Portland, Oregon, and is a niece of
Galusha Grow, speaker of the house at Washington, D. C, for many years.

The Doctor gives his political allegiance to the republican party and is also identified
with the Yukon Order of Pioneers, the Arctic Brotherhood, the Knights of Pythias and
the Arctic Club. He has the warm regard of his associates in fraternal and club circles
and moreover he enjoys the esteem and confidence of his professional brethren. He never
regards lightly the duties that devolve upon him in connection with professional activity
and his ivork has been of signal service to the public.



FRANK M. GUION.



Frank M. Guion is conducting a general insurance and real estate Inisiness inidor the
name of Frank Guion & Company. He was born in Indianapolis, Indiana, February 3, 1848,
a son of George and Sarah Guion. His father, a native of Zanesville, Ohio, was born in
July, 1827, was there educated and later removed to a farm in the district of Indianapolis.
where he carried on general agricultural pursuits until 1859. He then joined the Methodist
ministry and engaged in preaching at various points in northwestern Indiana until after
the outbreak of the Civil war, when he became chaplain of the Seventy-third Indiana
Volunteer Infantry. He served for one year and was then inustcred out on account of
ill health. He afterward went to North Bend, Indiana, wdiere he engaged in merchandising
until 1863. In that year he removed to Lafayette, Indiana, where he continued in the same
line of business for three years, or until 1866, when he became a resident of Leavenworth.
Kansas. He then engaged in the life insurance business and was connected therewith to
the time of his death in 1895.

Frank M. Guion attended public schools to the age of fourteen years, after which he
received business training by working in his father's store at Lafayette, Indiana, but his
patriotic spirit was aroused by the continued attempt of the south to overthrow the Union
and in 1864, when but sixteen years of age, he joined the army as a member of Company A,
One Hundred and Thirty-fifth Indiana Infantry, for one hundred days' service. He after-
ward went to Leavenworth, Kansas, where he engaged in clerking in a shoe store for two
years. Later he went upon the road as a traveling salesman, rei)resenting several wholesale
shoe houses and for fifteen years in that connection he traveled out of St. Louis, Chicago
or Kansas City. His residence in Seattle covers the period from the time of his removal to
the northwest in December, 189.=;. He bought out the Casualty Insurance lines in 1895 and
later admitted Fred Wing to a partnership under the style of Wing & Guion. That
partnership was maintained until 1904, when Mr. Guion purchased his partner's interest
and incorporated the firm of Frank Guion & Company, conducting a general insurance and
real-estate business. They represent the American .Automobile Insurance Company of
St. Louis and several fire insurance companies.

On the 9th of March, 1869, in Leavenworth, Kansas, Mr. Guion was married to Miss
Julia A. Potter, and this union has been blessed with three children: William D., who
departed this life in 1909: Mrs, Lily M. Halstead. of Seattle; and Raymond E., eighteen
years of age and now a high school student.

Mr. Guion exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures ot tlie
republican party, but has never been an office seeker. However, he has served as a member
of the school board, to which office he was appointed in December, 1906, and to which he



930 , HISTORY OF SEATTLE

was elected three months later for a term of three years. He gave the most careful atten-
tion to matters pertaining to the schools of the city and at the time of his retirement from
the board was president of that body. His religious faith is that of the Methodist church
and its teachings guide him in all of life's relations. For thirteen years he was superin-
tendent of the Sunday school and during that time it had more young men and women in
its classes than any other Sunday school in the country with perhaps a very few exceptions
and his success in making the Sunday school hold the interest of the young men and women
of Seattle is one of the achievements of which Mr. Guion is proudest.



RALPH C. GILL.



Ralph C. Gill, living retired in Seattle, was born at Watertown, Wisconsin, March 27,
1864, a son of Charles R. and Martha A. (Lanckton) Gill. The father, who was born
at Frankfort. Herkimer county, New York, devoted his life to law practice but has now
passed away. The mother, wliose birth occurred at Wheatville, Genesee county. New York,
is also deceased.

Ralph C. Gill attended the common schools near Madison, Wisconsin, afterward pur-
sued a high-school course and then entered the law school of the University of Wisconsin,
from which he was graduated in 188S. In 1890 he arrived in this city and entered upon
the practice of law, but the profession did not appeal to him and he turned to find more
congenial pursuits, becoming connected with the Pacific Coast Company, with which he
remained for four years. During that period he sent by that company all the coal that
was taken up to Alaska. For ten years he occupied a clerical position in the office of
the city treasurer, serving first under Treasurer Matt H. Gormley. During that period
he took up a homestead on the south fork of Tolt river and has brought the place to
a high state of cultivation and improvement, but at the present time is living retired from
active business connections. He is an ardent hunter and fisherman and is happiest when
he has a gun or a rod in his hands.

On the 5th of January, 1893, at Seattle, Mr. Gill was married to Mrs. Eva Laura
Simpson, nee Grant, a daughter of Harvey F. Grant, deceased. The father was for
many years actively engaged in farming but retired some time ere his demise. Mr. and
Mrs. Gill have one child, Vivian Grant, who is attending the University of Washington.

In his political views Mr. Gill has always been a republican and is an active sup-
porter of the party. He served on the republican county central committee for tvi'O
years and was a representative of his party in the city and county conventions for fifteen
years. His opinions have long carried weight in local republican circles and his efforts
have been an influential factor in bringing about party success. In Masonry he is widely
and favorably known, belonging to the lodge, chapter, commandery, council, consistory
and the Mystic Shrine. There is, therefore, little work of the order with which he is
not familiar, and in his life he exemplifies its spirit of mutual helpfulness and brotherly
kindness.



CAPTAIN HOWELL H. LLOYD.

Captain Howell H. Lloyd, formerly a representative of maritime interests and now
living retired in Seattle, was born in Wales, February i, 1839, and after being left an
orphan came to America, where he was reared by his uncle. He never saw his father,
Richard Lloyd, who died before the Captain was old enough to recognize anyone. He
attended school in Boston, Massachusetts, and in Williamsburg, New York, but the greater
part of his education was gained at sea. When twelve years of age he sailed as cabin boy
and made the trip around Cape Horn to California in 1852. For a short time he remained
there and then sailed to China on the ship Pathfinder. Later he went to London and to
New York and once again around the Horn in the clipper ship Climax. He afterward






9.



', ■ xtJ^'i- \



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 933

sailed up and down tlie coast of California, to the Sandwich islands and to different lumber
ports until 1858 and in March of that year arrived in the Puget Sound country.

Captain Lloyd was then employed in different capacities until the fall of that year, when
he sailed on the schooner General Harney, as master, operating that vessel on shares. It
was the biggest vessel on the Sound at the time and they made all Sound ports, carrying
machinery, stone, stores and hundreds of head of cattle. It was from that ship that the
rock for the first University of Washington was delivered at Seattle, the rock having been
brought from Ritchie's Pass, while the contract for its delivery was made with the Rev.
Daniel Bagley, father of the author of this work. The brick and lime for this building
were secured by the Harney from San Juan island. In 1862 Captain Lloyd went to the
Caribou, British Columbia, during the first gold excitement there, but did not remain long.
He returned to the Sound and wrecked the bark Christopher Mitchell, raising her and taking
her to Port Madison. He then began building the two-masted schooner Winnifred and
later worked at the carpenter's trade on the new engine house which was being built at the



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 114 of 142)