Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 115 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 115 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Bellingham coal mine in order to gain money with which to continue the work of con-
structing his schooner. He succeeded in building the Winnifred in 1868 and made one
voyage to the westward of Alaska, but found the boat too small for the purpose and sold
her to Captain Fowler, a merchant of Port Townsend, who for years after ran her as a
pilot boat. Later she was wrecked on the Siberian coast.

After selling the Winnifred Captain Lloyd purchased a half interest in the General
Harney and later became sole owner. He sailed her around the Sound, trading at different
points on the Sound and British Columbia. He carried all the stone for the penitentiary on
McNeill's island when the building was being constructed by W. E. Boone as supervising
architect for the government. Captain Lloyd also took the contract for the delivery of the
brick and upon the completion of the building was the first man in the cells — not compulsory,
however. He stepped in and announced that he was the first occupant outside of the
builders. A few moments of incarceration were enough for him. This was in the year 1875.
Captain Lloyd continued to sail the Sound until 1882, when he joined the Pacific Coast
Company as pilot and went to Alaska, acting as pilot master for a company of twenty
different vessels until 1898, when his health became impaired and he retired. He has gone
through all of the pioneer experiences of the Pacific northwest. He states that from 1858
until 1868 it was not safe for a man to be out without being on guard. The Blue Wing,
maimed by ten men and carrying a cargo of flour from Olympia, was captured off Skagit
Head by the Indians. All of the crew were killed and the schooner was taken to Seymour
Narrows and sunk. On another occasion the schooner Mary Eileen was captured by the
Indians in the Gulf of Georgia and all hands killed. The Indians knew Captain Lloyd was
always prepared and left him alone save on one occasion, when he was going up the middle
channel of the San Juan islands shortly after the governor of the territory had issued the
order that no northern Indians would be permitted in Puget Sound, and the old Massa-
chusetts was b'ing in Griffiths Bay to enforce the decree. The night was dark, the tide was
ebbing out of the channel and he could get nowhere, so he anchored under the lee of Goose
island. The crew turned in and the captain took the anchor watch. Soon he heard the
swash of a canoe ; he kept still and saw a canoe with thirty Indians in it approach the ship
and tap the side of the vessel with their paddles. He paid no attention and they went away,
but soon returned with a second canoe, both feathering their paddles. In the meantime the
captain had alarmed the crew and they all turned out with muskets. As the canoes drew
alongside the occupants saw the reception which awaited them and made some excuse about
selling venison. The truth of the matter is that if Captain Lloyd had not been on the alert
his vessel would have had a repetition of the fate of the Blue Wing and the Mary Eileen.

Captain Lloyd has certainly done his part in building up the territory of Washington.
In early days he bought all the produce from Whidby island and afterward found a market
for it all the way from Tatoosh to Olympia. The first voyage which he made on the
Harney was to load lumber at Utsaladdy for the Catholic church at Port Townsend, and
when it was delivered the priest blessed the schooner and she was successful in all of her
succeeding voyages. Captain Lloyd delves deep in history and relates many interesting
incidents that have figured in shaping the annals of the northwest. He tells the story of a
small war that occurred in Whatcom, now Bellingham, when that city had a population of



934 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

eleven men. An Indian had stolen some articles from a store kept by Paul K. Hubbs, a
son of Judge Hubbs, and was arrested for it. A few days afterward twenty or thirty
Indians attempted to take the town by storm and release their comrade. A French Canadian,
by name of Rozelle approached the Indians and attempted to get them to disarm. He was
knifed for his pains and in the fight that followed four or five Indians were killed before
they were driven out.

Captain Lloyd was married, on \Vhidb\- island, in 1876, to Miss Florence Harned, the
daughter of an old settler there, and she is now living in California with one of their
children. They have four children: Estelle and Florence, of California: Morgan H.. with
R. G. Dun & Company of San Francisco ; and Wj'nf red, who is mining in Alaska.

Captain Lloyd is a member of Whidby Island Lodge, No. 15, F. & A. M., of which he
was one of the organizers, and for two terms he served as worshipful master. He joined
tiie chapter in Victoria in 1878, when there was no chapter on the Sound, and afterward
demitted to Seattle. He is likewise a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen.
In politics he .is a democrat and was school superintendent of Whidby island during the
early days of his residence there. His life history if written in detail would present a most
complete and interesting picture of pioneer times and if one is in search of an agreeable
way in which to spend an hour they can do no better than to get Captain Lloyd to recall
the tales of the earlj' days when practically all means of communication between points was
by water and when the early settlers were contesting with the red men the riglit to the
territory of the northwest.



ALBERT J. BUHTZ.



Albert J. Buhtz is manager and vice president of the Western Cooperage Company of
Seattle, which was organized in 1896, and in this connection is a prominent representative
of industrial activity in the city^ He was born in Cleveland, Ohio, March 21. 1873. His
father, Albert Buhtz, was a native of Germany, born at Stettin, September 25, 1846. He
came to America in 1866, when a young man of twenty years, making his way to Cleveland,
Ohio. Throughout his entire life he has followed the cooperage business and in May, i88g,
he came to Washington, arriving in Seattle just before the great fire which occurred in
June of that year. He it was who established th.c Fremont Barrel Company, which after-
ward became tlie ^^■estern Cooperage Company. He had engaged in the cooperage business
in Cleveland, but came to Seattle hoping to find a climate that would restore health to his
family and believed that this city offered the required conditions — and so it proved. Mr.
Buhtz purchased property on Lake Union for the manufacture of barrels and established
the Western Barrel Factory, which proved the nucleus of the present establishment now
conducted under the name of the Western Cooperage Company.

Albert J. Buhtz was a youth of seventeen years when the family removed to Seattle.
He had largely acquired his education in the schools of Cleveland and his business training
was received under the direction of his father. He learned the cooperage trade, acquainting
himself with every branch of the business, and in this connection has gradually worked his
way upward until he is today manager and vice president of the Western Cooperage Com-
pany. He has thorough knowledge of every branch of the business and is able to carefully
direct the labors of those whom he employs. His trade has reached gratifying proportions
and his success is due to his thoroughness, his business insight and keen discrimination.

In February, 1898, in Seattle, Mr. Buhtz was united in marriage to Miss Anna B.
Wheeler, a native of Missouri, by whom he has a son, Lawrence, whose natal day was
October i, 1901. Mr. Buhtz belongs to the Cliamber of Commerce and to the Rotary Club.
He is also a member of the Manufacturers Association and is interested in every movement
to promote trade conditions and- advance the welfare of the city as well as to promote his
individual success. In politics he is a non-partisan, nor has he ever sought office, pre-
ferring to concentrate his energies upon his business affairs. The Western Cooperage
Company was organized in 1896 and began making barrels from the Douglas fir, their entire
product, including staves and heading, being made from the Douglas fir and all hy hand.



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 935

They employed only three men at first and the capacity was ten barrels a day. The plant
now covers an entire acre, has a capacity of one thousand packages per day, employs fifty-
tive men and represents an investment of about one hundred and sixty thousand dollars.
This company was one of the first to build a manufacturing plant on Lake Union and they
now operate large stave and heading mills in Portland, Oregon, and also have branches in
San Francisco and Los Angeles, together with a logging camp at Young's Bay, Oregon.
The business has become one of the most important industrial enterprises of this character
in the northwest and at its head, directing its policy, is Albert J. Buhtz, alert, enterprising,
wide-awake and determined, carrying forward to successful completion whatever he under-
takes and forming his plans in accordance with modern business methods.



THE DEXTER HORTON NATIONAL BANK.

The Dexter Horton National Bank of Seattle is the oldest banking institution in
Washington, its existence covering a period of forty-five years. It had its inception in a
little frame store in 1870 during the pioneer epoch in the history of this city and one of its
founders was De.xter Horton, who arrived in Seattle in 1853, the year after the city was
established, and the year in which Washington became a territory. The following year
Mr. Horton became a merchant of Seattle, opening a little general store at the corner of
First avenue and Washington street. Because of his well known honesty the people of the
village would bring him their funds for safe keeping and at night the money, placed in sacks
and labeled, was hidden in a barrel of coffee or other convenient place about the store. As
time passed on and Mr. Horton was called upon more and more to perform the functions
of banker he decided that it would be wise to regularly organize a bank, and on the 6th of
June, 1870, entered into partnership with David Phillips, of San Francisco, under the firm
name of Phillips, Horton & Companj', for the conduct of a banking business. Their original
partnership agreement, a most interesting document, is still carefully preserved. Upon the
death of Mr. Phillips, in March, 1872, he was succeeded by Arthur A. Denny, the first white
settler of Seattle, and the firm name was changed to Dexter Horton & Company. The bank
operated under a territorial charter from 1887 until June 27, 1910, when it was nationalized
and the name of the Dexter Horton National Bank of Seattle was adopted.

The first home of the bank was a little frame one-story building twenty by forty feet.
This was in use until 1876, when the little building was razed and a larger one erected on the
same site, thus giving the bank greater facilities. At the time of the great fire in June, 1889,
it was one of the few business buildings that were spared. Business was there continued
until 1892, when the third building was erected of more modern design, giving larger
quarters and greater facilities. In 1893 came the widespread financial panic, but De.xter
Horton & Company weathered the storm and in fact did much to assure financial stability
throughout the northwest. Mr. Horton remained at the head of the institution until June
I, 1887, when he relinquished part of his interests and John P. Hoyt came in and continued
to November 1, 1889. At this time (November I, 1889), Mr. Latimer succeeded them all
as acting manager, which position carried with it complete power. On June 27, 1910, he was
made president and as such continues. Mr. Horton was called by death July 28, 1904,
leaving behind him a monument to his business enterprise and public spirit that will ever
be cherished as one of the cit>''s most potent forces of growth and progress.

About 1904 the third bank building was remodeled and enlarged, with the belief that
the new structure would be ample for all demands for years to come. Soon, however,
Seattle entered upon a period of remarkable growth, and in 1906 the banking room was
found inadequate, so that a lease was secured upon the main floor of the New York
building. In August, 1910, the organization of the Washington Trust Company was effected
and the name changed to Washington Trust & Savings Bank. It so continued until
September 10, 1912, when it was changed to Dexter Horton Trust & Savings Bank, and
it is today the largest institution of the kind in the city, its capital stock being owned by the
stockholders of the Dexter Horton National Bank. Of he latter N. H. Latimer is now
president ; R. H. Denny and W. H. Parsons, vice presidents ; H. L. Merritt, C. E. Burnside



936 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

and J. C. Norman, assistant cashiers : and R. H. MacMichael, bond manager. The directors
are: N. H. Latimer, R. H. Denny, W. H. Parsons. C. J. Smith, W. M. Ladd, J. \V. Clise,
E. Cookingham, Edmund Bowden, M. E. Reed, C. E, Horton, A. S. Kerry, and J. T.
Heffernan. The officers of the Dexter Horton Trust & Savings Bank are ; J. W. Clise,
chairman of the board; C. J. Smith, president; W. H. Parsons and J. H. Edwards, vice
presidents; W. W. Scruby, cashier; and R. H. MacMicIiael. assistant secretary. The
directors are: N. H. Latimer, W. H. Parsons, C. J. Smith, J. W. Clise, C. E. Horton
and R. H. Denny.

When the two institutions were amalgamated there was rendered the necessity of
securing greater banking room and the entire main floor of the New York building was
prepared. Today their quarters are the largest on the Pacific coast, covering an area of
thirteen thousand square feet, and the business of thirty thousand patrons is cared for
with promptness and facility through thirty-three windows. The interior equipment of
the bank is of the highest type both as to technical execution and design. The counters
are Verde Antique Swanton Green Vermont marble. Imported Italian marble of green
tint is further used for the top screen of solid bronze in Ionic design. Mahogany has been
used for the wood equipment. There are mammoth vaults scientifically equipped and
marvelously solid in construction. The Dexter Horton National Bank and Dexter Horton
Trust & Savings Bank maintain every department of financial or fiduciary finance, and
every department is perfectly equipped to serve customers promptly and efliciently. Each
department is under the direct supervision of officers. The institution has a department
especially organized for the care of the accounts of banks and bankers and has the largest
list of direct connections of any banking institution in the entire Pacific northwest. The
business includes commercial banking, certificates of deposit, bonds, exchange and letters
of credit, the savings department and banking by mail. The history of this institution is
indicative of the growth of the city and the spirit which has prompted its development and
it is a synonym for the stability upon which the city's advancement has been based.



CAPTAIN A. E. LE BALLISTER.

Captain A. E. Le Ballister was a veteran mariner of Seattle, thoroughly acquainted
with the waters of the Sound and also of the Northern Pacific bordering Alaska. He
sailed for more than a quarter of a century and was well known as a representative
of marine interests. His entire life was passed in the west and he possessed the spirit
of enterprise and progress which has ever dominated the coast country in its upbuilding.
His birth occurred in Sacramento, California, September i6, 1862. His father, John Le
Ballister, was a native of Maine and on making his way to the west settled in the Golden
state, where he remained until his son was about nine years of age. He then removed
with his family to Seattle and not long afterward v/as killed by the Indians. The journey
to this city was made by canoe.

Captain Le Ballister was reared in Seattle and at the age of eighteen years became
a marine engineer, being employed on various steamboats on the Sound. About the
time he attained his majority he became a pilot, his first command being the Clara
Brown, which sailed between Seattle, Olympia and Shelton. He was afterward given
command of the steamer State of Washington, which sailed to Bellingham, then known
as New Whatcom, and still later he commanded the Henry Bailey, which plied tl'.e waters
of the Skagit river. While an engineer on the Monticello on the run from Seattle to
San Francisco the steamer broke down. It was given up for lost but was finally located
and towed into port. Later Captain Le Ballister was given command of that steamer and
served on her for two years.

Like many residents of Seattle, he was attracted to Alaska with its growing business
opportunities, going to the territory in 1898. There he remained until 1913, having com-
mand of various steamers in northern waters, his last command being the Robert E. Kerr,
owned by the Pacific Coast Cold Storage Company.

Captain Le Ballister was united in marriage to Miss Lillian A. Keen, of Skagit City,




^J4S^^''>^^'



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 939

whom he wedded in 1893. She was born at Port Townsend and is a daughter of J. \V.
Keen, who for some years was the only government pilot in the revenue service in this
section of the country. He acted as interpreter for WilHam H. Seward at the time Alaska
was purchased and he was known among the Indians by a native name meaning "Father
of Beavers." He took a very active part in the development of Alaska, but for some time
has lived retired and now makes his home at No. 22,^ Eastlake avenue, Seattle.

After retiring from the sea Captain Le Ballister became connected with the Tire
Service House, remaining at the head of that business until his demise. He was a member
, of the Seattle Automobile Club and of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. His
political allegiance was given to the republican party and at all times he stood for progress
and improvement along political and other lines. He was very public-spirited and
cooperated in many movements for the general good. He became a strong advocate
of the good roads movement and always aided cheerfully and willingly in any plan or
project to further the public welfare. He passed away June 15, 1915. Forty-three 3-ears'
residence in Seattle and Alaska had brought him a wide acquaintance and such was his
popularity that he left behind him an extensive circle of warm friends, who appreciated
his many good qualities and' lionored him for his manly characteristics.



ROBERT BRUCE HESKETH.

A prominent figure in municipal political circles is Robert Bruce Hesketh, now serving
as a member of the city council, in which connection he is doing valuable work on various
important committees. He was born in Lancashire, England, March 28, 1870. His father,
Thomas Hesketh, also a native of that country, was a successful mining man and con-
tractor who by profession was a mining engineer. He died in Lancashire in 1902, at the
age of sixty-two years. His widow, who bore the maiden name of Agnes Houghton, is
also a native of England and still resides in Lancashire. The Houghton familj- trace their
ancestry back to William the Conqueror, while the Heskeths were originally Scotch.
The ancestral line is traced back through many generations, the Heskeths being among
the nobility of that country.

Robert Bruce Hesketh was the youngest in a family numbering two sons and a
daughter. He pursued his education in the public schools of Liverpool, where he also
attended a private college. He continued his studies to the age of eighteen years, after
which he was apprenticed to learn the printer's trade, serving a two years' term of inden-
ture in England. In 1889 he came to America, making his way direct to Seattle, where
he secured employment in a restaurant, there remaining until 1901. At that date he was
elected to the office of manager of the Cooks' and Waiters' Union, remaining in that
position for two and one-half years, during which period the organization grew in mem-
bership from one hundred and twenty to six hundred and fifty. In 1903 he was chosen
secretary and manager and was sent by the union to the international convention at Phil-
adelphia, Pennsylvania, as representative of the Seattle organization. Through the action
of the international executive board Mr. Hesketh was appointed international organizer,
the news of his appointment being forwarded to him by telegram, the wire reaching him
at St. Louis, ^Missouri, while he was en route to the coast. On the 26th of June, 1903,
the joint organization presented him with a gold watch, chain and charm in token of
hearty appreciation of his valuable services. He served for one term as international
organizer and at the ne.xt convention, held in Rochester, New York, in 1904, he was elected
the sixth vice president of the international executive board and has since continued in
a vice presidency, being elected in 1906 to the position of first vice president of the execu-
tive board of the international organization. From July, 1904, until 1910 he served, in
addition to the vice presidency of the international organization, as manager and secretary
of the local organization. After 1907 the Cooks' and Waiters' Union divided into two
separate organizations, after which Mr. Hesketh continued in office with the cooks' organi-
zation.

In the spring of 191 1 Mr. Hesketh was elected on the non-partisan ticket a member



!J40 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

of the city council, which office he has since filled in a most creditable and satisfactory
manner. He was president of the coimcil in 1912 and 1913 and throughout the entire period
of his connection with the council he has been chairman of the license committee. He
is also serving on the committees on city utilities and as a member of the conference,
streets and sewers and finance committees. He has done important service in these various
connections and in 1914 he took a trip abroad, visiting England and Scotland, during
which he studied the question of public utilities, particularly in relation to lighting, water
and railways. He also gave much thought to the other civic problems and he puts forth
every efifort in his power to advance municipal welfare and promote those interests which
are a matter of civic value and of civic virtue and pride.

Mr. Hesketh belongs to the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, the Fraternal Order
of Eagles, Home Camp, No. 286, W. O. W., and Cooks' Union, Local No. 33. He is also
a member of the board of trustees of the Firemen's Relief and Pension Fund. His work
in the Cooks' Union has taken him east once or twice each year for the past twelve years
and he has visited in behalf of tlie interest of the Union every large city of the country,
and at the same time lias had an opportunity to study civic matters. He is recognized as
one of the national leaders in that organization and in connection therewith he has done
.service with all of the leading union men of the country and has a personal acquaintance
and friendship with such prominent union leaders as Gompers, Mitchell and others.

On the 20th of March, 1893, in Seattle, Washington, Mr. Hesketh was united in mar-
riage to Miss Annie Louise Knight, a native of Manchester, England, and a daughter
of George and Johanna Kniglit. They have three children, namely: Agnes Grace, who
was born July 4, 1896; Rheneldo Bruce, whose birth occurred on the 26th of September,
1900; and Virginia Margaret, whose natal day was February 5, 1912. The family resi-
dence is at No. 471S Latona avenue.

In religious faith tlie family are Presbyterians. Mr. Hesketh holding membership in
Dr. Matthews' church. He came a stranger and alone to America with limited capital
but ambitious to make his own way in the world, and his success since that time is
attributable entirely to his own efforts and ability. He has made his life of use in the
world to his fellowmen in his connection with the work to protect the wage earner and
in his civic service as a member of the municipal legislative body.



J. FRANK SWANBERG.



J. Frank Swanberg is tlie president of tlie Elliott Bay Dry Dock Company and is
also connected with other important industrial enterprises of Seattle, being president of
tlie Puget Sound Boiler Works and manager of the Marine Pipe & Machine Works.
He is well qualified to direct the interests of these different corporations, as he thoroughly
understands mechanics and at the same time has the business force necessary to success-
fully control the financial interests of these different concerns. Mr. Swanberg is one of



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 115 of 142)