Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 118 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 118 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


many vessels before coming west, among them being the famous .'Krgentina, known the
world over as the fastest vessel on the seas. Among the notable craft he has built on
the Pacific coast is the Chehalis, constructed in Hoquiam. He built the Sophie Suther-
land in Tacoma and all of the big boats constituting the fleet of the Hastings Mill
Company. For the past twenty-five years he has lived in Victoria and has been engaged
principally in repair work. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Charlotte Burns,
was also a native of Nova Scotia and died in 1900.

Captain Harry H. MacDonald, who is a cousin of Franklin K. Lane, was educated
in the public schools of his native country. He came west in 1887 and was connected
with his uncle, Thomas MacDonald, in the building of ships at Hoquiam and Aberdeen,
in Gray's harbor, for a period of six years. Together they built the fourmasted schooners
Pioneer and the Volunteer, the barkentine Gleaner, the tugs Rustler, Printer, Herald and
Aberdeen, the stern-wheeler Clan MacDonald and the schooner J. M. Weatherwax. In
1893 Captain MacDonald came to Puget Sound and has been on the Seattle-Skagit river
run continuously since, bringing the stern-wheeler Clan MacDonald around from Gray's
harbor. Since that time he has owned the Henry Bailey, the City of Champaign, the
Skagit Queen, the Irene, the Elwood, Gleaner Dredger No. i, the Gleaner, the Harvester,
the Capital City, the Multnomah, the Marguerite, and the MacDonald. He is now the owner
of the Harvester and Hhe Gleaner.

Captain MacDonald's children are as follows: Mrs. E. S. Gumison, Mrs. J. E. Skron-
dal, Mrs.- F. A. Snyder, Captain Harry MacDonald, Jr., Josephine, Claire, Mayme and



958 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

Grace. Miss Ma3-me MacDonald is one of the best known tennis players in the west
ahhough but seventeen years of age. She was the champion of Montana, Idaho and
eastern Washir.gton and for a day, of Oregon, She played six tournaments and lost
only three games.

In politics Captain and Mrs. MacDonald are republicans and he has been somewhat
active in that field, putting forth earnest effort to further the interests of the party. Fra-
ternally he is connected with the Woodmen of the World and he is also a member of
the Commercial Club of Seattle. His long connection with navigation interests of the
northwest has made him a familiar figure in maritime circles and he is one of the most
prominent representatives of that line of business in Seattle.



ANTHONY JACOBSON.



Anthony Jacobson. president of the Rainier Laundry Company, of Seattle, was born
September 5, 1861, in Iowa. His father. Christian Jacobson, was a native of Denmark and
was a shoemaker by trade. Coming to the new world, he settled in Iowa, where he engaged
in farming and thus provided for the support of his family. His wife, Mrs. Hannah
Jacobson, is also a native of Denmark.

Anthony Jacobson spent the days of his boyhood upon the home farm in Iowa and in
1888, when a }'oung man of twenty-seven years, first visited Seattle, but did not locate
permanently until 1894. He established a hand laundry at No. 505 Third avenue in con-
nection with his brother Fred and there continued business for two years, at the end of
which time he sold his interests to his brother and in September, i8g6, established the
Rainier Laundry at No. 108 Second avenue, South. There he continued business for ten
years, when he removed his plant and consolidated it with a plant which he had purchased
from W. H. Weaver, located at Seventh and Columbia streets. On the ist of January, 1912,
he removed to his present spacious quarters especially designed for the laundry business,
well lighted and ventilated. In addition to the usual equipment he has provided an excellent
lunch room and rest rooms for the women employes. The company have about fifteen
thousand square feet of floor space and employ sixty people. They have the most modern
equipment in the way of laundry machinery and they also have three autos and seven
wagons, their investment representing about thirty thousand dollars. Mr. Jacobson, as
indicated, has built up a large business, one of the foremost in its line in Seattle, and his
trade is steadily growing, for he never deviates from a high standard of service. He is
also a stockholder in the Model Electric Laundry.

In Seattle, in 1898, Mr. Jacobson was married to Miss Julia Jackson, who died July 17,
1914. Mr. Jacobson belongs to the Arctic Club and to the Woodmen of the World. In his
political views he is a republican. While he is not identified with any church, he thinks
deeply along religious lines and his theories of life are sound and his entire career is
characterized by a recognition of the rights of others and his duties and obligations to his
fellowmen.



REV. MARK ALLISON MATTHEWS, D. D.

Rev. Mark Allison Matthews, D. D., one of the most eminent representatives of the
clergy in the United States, has since 1902 been pastor of the First Presbyterian church in
Seattle, the largest of his denomination in this country, if not in the world. He was born
in Calhoun. Georgia, September 24, 1867, a son of Mark Lafayette and Malinda Rebecca
(Clenimons) Matthews. He acquired his academic education at Calhoun and at nineteen
j'ears of age began preaching. He was ordained to the Presbyterian ministry in 1887 when
but twenty years of age and became pastor of the First Presbyterian church in his native
town the following year. There he remained until 1893. during which period he was in-
strumental in erecting a house of worship. Called to the pastorate of the Presbyterian
church at Dalton, Georgia, he there continued until 1896, when he went to Jackson,



TIISTUKV Ol- .SKATTi:,E 959

Tennessee, where he continued his pastoral services until 1902. In that year he accepted
the call of the First Presbyterian church of Seattle, which during his connection therewith
lias grown until it has now the largest membership of any Presbyterian congregation in the
United States. A student by nature, his reading, investigation and research have covered
many subjects. He took up the study of law and so mastered the principles of jurisprudence
that in June, 1900, he was admitted to the bar. He has the analytical mind that would render
him a strong representative of that profession and the clear and logical reasoning which
make for success in law practice. These are equally strong elements, however, in the work
of the ministry, enabling him to answer clearly the many questions which are brought to
him, and to solve intricate problems. He is closely identified with the educational progress
of the state as a trustee of Whitman College at Walla Walla and of Whitworth College at
Spokane.

Dr. Matthews was married in Seattle on the 24th of August, 1904, to Miss Grace Owen,
a daughter of the Rev. Owen Jones, of Wales. He is a member of the Rainier and Arctic
Clubs and the Commercial Club and has taken the degrees of York and Scottish Rite
Masonry. In 1909 he received the honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity, in 1910 the degree
of LL. D., and in 191 1 the degree of LL. D. was conferred on him by anotlier college. In
the year 1912 he was made moderator of the general assembly of the Presbyterian church
at Louisville. A man of well balanced capacities and powers, he has occupied a central place
on the stage of action almost from the time when his initial effort was made in the ministry
•ind his labors have found culmination in the development of a strong religious organization
and in the promotion of intellectual and moral progress. He has never been an idle senti-
mentalist, but a worker, and the lofty ideals which he cherishes find embodiment in practical
effort for their adoption. His home church is a splendid organization, in which the work is
carefully systematized and results are achieved.



WALTER B. ALLEN.



Walter B. Allen, member of the Seattle bar, engaged in the general practice of law,
was born January 30, 1875, in Lexington, Kentucky, a son of John H. and Sarah (Bell)
.■\llen. The paternal grandfather, Robert Thomas Pritchard Allen, a native of Te.xas, became
the founder of the Kentucky Military Institute, which school he conducted for a period of
forty years. He was a graduate of the United States Military Academy at West Point of
the class of 1832 and was a veteran of the Mexican war, in which he served with the rank
of lieutenant. By marriage he was connected with Andrew Jackson. The father, John H.
Allen, a native of Texas, became a resident of Kentucky in 1871 and in that state engaged in
the practice of law. He was a Civil war veteran, having served as a major in a Texas
regiment. At the present writing he is living retired in Seattle. His wife was a daughter
'>t John D. Bell, of Bastrop, Texas, one of the prominent pioneer settlers, planters and slave
owners of that state. She died in Florida in 1885 at the age of thirty-four years. In the
family of Mr. and Mrs. John H. Allen were five sons and one daughter, all of whom are
yet living with the exception of one son.

Walter B. Allen was a youth of fourteen years when his fatlicr removed to Seattle,
arriving in August, 1889. Here the father entered upon the practice of law and won a
notable jilace at the Seattle bar, continuing in practice for some years, after which he re-
tired. He is a Mason and has figured prominently in Masonic and social circles, but has
never sought to gain distinction along political lines. In his father's professional footsteps
Walter B. Allen has followed. He continued his education in the public schools of Seattle
and afterward took up the study of law under the direction of his father, being admitted to
the bar in 1907, although he did not enter upon active practice until 1909. As a boy of
fourteen he sought the position of messenger with the Western Union and after three
months was advanced to the position of night clerk. His original salary was twenty dollars
per month. He afterward was appointed clerk in the office of Judge William H. Moore,
then a judge of the superior court, and while in that oftice he learned much concerning law
and active practice before the bar. From 1898 until 1907 he was connected with mining



960 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

interests in Alaska, where he won a moderate measure of success. He still holds considerable
mining property in that country, but since his admission to the bar in 1907 he has con-
centrated his energies upon professional activity, first as a law clerk, and since 1909 as an
active practitioner. He has built up a clientage that is now quite extensive and satisfactory,
connecting him with much important litigation. His ability is pronounced, for his analysis
of a case is keen, his reasoning clear and his arguments sound and convincing. In addition
to his professional affairs he has commercial interests and is now secretary of the Majestic
Coal Company, a Seattle corporation.

On the I2th of July, 1909, Mr. Allen was married in the Methodist church at Vancouver,
British Columbia, to Miss Mary Belle McDonald, a native of Nova Scotia and a daughter
of Mr. and Mrs. Daniel McDonald, of Scotch descent. They now occupy a pleasant home
at No. 4310 Fifth avenue. Northwest. Mr. Allen is identified with the Knights of Pythias
and with the Arctic Brotherhood and his religious belief is indicated by his membership in
the Methodist church. His life has brought to him varied experiences which, added to study
and investigation not only of law but of like, makes him well qualified for professional
duties where careful analysis must find the relation between cause and effect.



STEPHEN L. DOWELL.



When death called Stephen L. Dowell on the 14th of September, 1914, he was actively
engaged in the coal, wood, sand and gravel business at Madison Park. In former years he
had been identified with other interests and at all times his life was one of activity and
enterprise, his success being attributable entirely to his earnest, persistent efforts. He
was born in Nova Scotia, in 1863, and his education was obtained in the schools of Canada.
He became a resident of Seattle in 1883 — then a j'oung man of twenty years, ambitious
to enjoy the opportunities offered by the natural resources of the west. He and his
brother John E. cleared five acres of land where the courthouse now stands and were
closely associated with the pioneer development of the northwest metropolis. In 1884
he began prospecting, going to Alaska, where he remained for four years and also spend-
ing a similar period in British Columbia, a part of that time being passed at Blue Canyon.
About 1893 he returned to Seattle and took up the occupation of farming, which he
followed for about four years.

In 1897, when the Alaska boom was on, he made his way again to that country, where
he spent another period of four years. During the building of Skagway he went to that
town and he erected a hotel at White Pass, Mrs. Dowell and the family accompanying him
there. They conducted the hotel for a time and then sold out, after which Mr. Dowell
proceeded to Dawson, where he continued for about ten months. He then came out on
foot over the ice, covering about sixty miles per day and bringing with him tw-enty-six
pounds of gold dust. Mr. Dowell afterward began trading in Alaska, taking in mer-
chandise, cattle, machinery and other supplies needed by the miners. In 1900, having
two schooners, the Ruby Cousins and the Martha W. Taft, he operated them between
Seattle and Nome, so continuing for about one year. He was indeed closely associated
with the northwest and the utilization of its natural resources both in the Sound country
and in Alaska, and every phase of pioneer life, with all its hardships and experiences,
was familiar to him. In 1901 he established a coal business in Seattle, in which he con-
tinued with growing success for six years. He then sold out and turned his attention to
farming, which he followed for one and a half years and in 190S he opened a coal yard
at Madison Park, erecting buildings and equipping his plant. He then dealt in coal,
wood, sand, gravel and similar commodities, continuing the business until his death, since
which time it has been managed by his widow, a woman of marked ability and notable
sagacity.

In January, 1893, at Blue Canyon, Mr. Dowell was united in marriage to Miss Eliza-
beth Lewis, a native of South Wales, who came to Seattle in 1884. It was in that 3-ear
that her father, David C. Lewis, left England with his family and established his home
in Seattle. For twenty years he lived at Renton, where he engaged in mining coal, at




^^"^r^.^^



HISTORY OF SEATTLE ^ 96:3

Newcastle and the Black Diamond mines. He had retired twelve years previous to the
time of his death, which occurred in Seattle in 1914. In the family of Mr. and Mrs.
Dowell were four children: Catherine Wealthy, the wife of L. C. Earle ; Alice May; Lewis
John ; and Joseph Stephen.

In his political views Mr. Dowell was a repul)lican and while he never souglit nor held
office he was a most public-spirited citizen and did much to aid in the upbuilding of
Seattle. He took great pride in the city and its advancement and he had the strongest
faith in its future. His was that strong, virile character which is developed in pioneer
districts, where one must depend upon his own resources and must provide the expedient
which enables him to meet the hard conditions of the frontier. As the years passed he
lived to see great changes in the northwest and his work has resulted beneficially not
only for his family but for the community at large.



JAMES J. CALLAGHAN.



James J. Callaghan, charity commissioner of Seattle, which office he has filled since IQIJ.
has devoted mucli of his life to the public service and the thoroughness and system which
characterize all that he undertakes have been elements in making him a most capable and
reliable official. He was born in San Francisco, California, July 13, 1861, and is descended
in the paternal line from Irish ancestry, the family being founded in America by his grand-
father, James Callaghan. His father, who also bore the name of James Callaghan, was a
native of Massachusetts and in i860 went to California on his wedding journey by way of
the Isthmus route, several months elapsing before they reached the end of their journey.
He was connected with the United States government service in the work of fortfying the
harbor of San Francisco and then became superintendent of a grain warehouse, in which
capacity he acted for forty years under Isaac Freelander, the grain king of California. He
was also very active in civic affairs in San Francisco and was prominent in other connections,
standing at all times for progress and advancement. He married Elizabeth McPherson, a
native of Massachusetts. The McPhersons were of Scotch lineage and the American branch
of the family was established by her father. The death of Mrs. Callaghan occurred in San
Francisco in 1896, when she was fifty-one years of age, and Mr. Callaghan passed away in
San Francisco in 1910 at the age of seventy years. They were the parents of three children,
but the two daughters have passed away.

James J. Callaghan, the only son, pursued his education in the public and high schools
of San Francisco and in St. Ignatius' College, from which he was graduated with the
Bachelor of Science degree in 1880. His father then assisted him to establish a retail grocery
business, in which line of trade he continued successfully for five j'ears. He was but
twenty-one years of age when he was elected to the state legislature from the ninth senatorial
district of San Francisco and served as a member of the general assembly during the ses-
sions of 1883, 1885 and 1887, being the youngest member in the state legislature at that time.
In 1885 he disposed of his grocery business and became associated with the state board of
harbor commissioners, his position being designated as wharfinger. He remained in that
connection until 1891 and on the 8th of March, 1892, he came to Seattle, where he accepted
the position of manager with R. Sartori & Company, .^fter a short association with that
firm, however, he accepted the position of manager of the Pacific block, the IMcDonald
block and several other large buildings of the city, so continuing until 1900. In 1903 he
became connected with the office of prosecutong attorney as an investigator, serving in
1903 and 1904. He then occupied the position of deputy auditor for four years and in 1908
he entered the general contracting business, in which he operated successfully until 1913,
when he accepted the position of charity commissioner and has since been active in that .
work, making a creditable record by the prompt, efficient and tactful manner in which he
discharges the duties of the office. He has always been a republican, active and prominent
in local political circles. He has served as secretary of the central committee of Seattle,
as a member of the state central committee from King county and has done everything in



y64 JIISTUKV UF SEATTLE

liis power to promote the party success and to uphold civic interests whicli look to the better-
ment of existing and of future conditions.

On the 13th of October, 1882, Mr. Callaghan was married, in San Francisco, California,
to Miss Kate Lyon, a native of New York and a daughter of John Lyon, a representative
of an old pioneer family of California, of English descent. Her mother bore the maiden
name of Katherine Rogers. Mr. and Mrs. Callaghan have become the parents of seven
children: Alfred, who was born in San Francisco in 1884; LeRoy, born in San Francisco
in 1887; Joseph C, born in Seattle in 1889; Ruth, born in San Francisco in 1892; John,
born in Seattle in 1896; Eugenia, born in Seattle in 1898; and Katherine, who was born in
Seattle in 1902.

The family are pleasantly situated at No. 1124 Thirty-fifth street, in a home which
Mr. Callaghan owns. Over the record of his olificial career there falls no shadow of
wrong, for with a full realization of the duties and obligations that have devolved upon
liim he has put forth every effort to faithfully serve the public at large, shunning every
act inimical to its best interests and working along lines which produce the best results in
the fields of civic virtue and advancement.



WTLLL^iM S. WALKER.



William S. Walker, vice president and general manager of the Pantoriam Dye Works,
is conducting a business of gratifying and growing proportions and is justly accounted one
of the leading representatives of industrial activity in Seattle. He was born in Indiana,
May 22, 1866, a son of David and Eliza B. Walker, both natives of the Hoosier state. The
father served as a soldier of the Civil war and in days of peace his attention was largely
given to the practice of dentistry. He was also an inventor of considerable note. In the
year 1887 he passed away, being then fifty-seven years of age, while his wife survived until
1906, dying at the age of sixty-two years.

William S. Walker is at the head of one of tlie important industrial concerns of Seattle.
The business was first organized under the name of the Walker & Wells Pantoriam in 1900,
at which time the plant occupied the present site of the Seattle postoffice at No. 309 Union
street. Business was there conducted for seven months, after which removal was made to
No. 1 1 13 Third avenue, where it continued for two years. At that time removal was made
to No. 1419 Fourth avenue, where the business occupied all of the rear and one store
additional. There they continued until March, 1909, when another removal brought them
to their present spacious quarters, where they have a building one hundred and twenty feet
square. In connection with their cleaning and dyeing works they have a plant for cleaning
carpets, oriental rugs, etc. The building utilized by the dye works is sixty by ninety feet
and three stories in height. Tlie building used as a benzine room for cleaning is about
forty by sixty feet and two stories in height, while the carpet house .is a two-story building
about thirty by fifty feet. The plant covers a little more than a half acre, or about twenty-
five thousand square feet of floor space, including the garage, and represents an investment
of about eighty thousand dollars. All of their equipment is of the latest design and work-
manship. Mr. Walker has traveled through Europe and has investigated plants of this
nature in all parts of that country and of the new world. He finds that by their method
of having their different departments under the direction of separate superintendents, each
an expert in his line, they are able to obtain the highest degree of efficiency. In the past
years some of the leading department stores of the west were in the habit of sending their
finer dye work to eastern plants, but they now give all of their work to the Pantoriam, for
their output is unquestionably unexcelled by any plant in the world. Mr. Walker says that
the plants he visited in France can by no means begin to equal the high standard of work
done here.

In 1909 Mr. Walker was married to Miss Flora A., a daughter of Henry T. Breeds, of
Seattle. She is a native of Bedford, Ohio. Mr. Walker is a past master of St. John's
Lodge, No. 9, A. F. & A. M.. and belongs to Lawson Consistory, No. i, S. P. R. S., and
to Nile Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. He was a member of the visiting committee when the



rtlSlUKY ()\^' bJiAl iL£, 965

Shriners met in convention in Seattle in the summer of 1915. He likewise belongs to the
Seattle Athletic Club and to the Chamber of Commerce, and he gives his political allegiance
to the republican party, which finds in him a stalwart advocate but not an office seeker.
In fact, his business interests are too extensive and important to allow his active participa-
tion in politics, even though he desired to do so, and he concentrates his energies upon the
further development of his trade, which has placed him among tlie leading and representative
business men of his city.



JOSEPH S. COTE.



Joseph S. Cote, a well known architect of Seattle, was born in the province of Quebec,
Canada, March 9, 1874, and is a direct descendant of John and Ann (Martin) Cote, who
were married at Stadcona, now called Quebec, in the year 163J, both having arrived in
Canada in 1619 with Champlain's second colony. Ann Martin was a daughter of Abraham
Martin, in whose memory the historic Plains of Abraham were afterward named.

Liberal educational advantages were afforded Joseph S. Cote, who completed his studies
in Columbia University of New York city, specializing in architecture. He came from



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 118 of 142)