Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 121 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 121 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


James D. Hoge and in 1907 was made manager of the Georgetown branch, which was
established in 1905. When he was given charge of its affairs conditions were bad as it was
in the midst of the panic of 1907 and the deposits amounted to only eighty-nine thousand
dollars. He at once took hold of things and although he had to work against a widespread
financial depression it was not long before the business of the bank was showing an increase
and it has gained steadily from that time to the present. The greater part of the deposits
are savings, not checking accounts, and the business of the institution is on a sound basis
that commends it to the confidence of the public.

Mr. Schmidt is an adherent of the democratic party, believing firmly in its principles.
He has taken an active part in movements seeking to advance the interests of his community,
is president of the Duwamish Valley Commercial Club, is on the board of Commercial
Waterway District, No. i, commonly called the Duwamish Waterway Commission, and is
also a member of the Seattle Commercial Club. For twelve years he was identified with the
Seattle Athletic Club and is also well known fraternally, belonging to Home Lodge, No.
100, A. F. & A. M., and Seattle Lodge, No. 92. B. P. O. E. He is thoroughly western in
spirit and is enthusiastic regarding the future of the Puget' Sound country. He has gained
a highly creditable position in his chosen field of work and personally is popular.



JOHN ENOCH LONGFELLOW.

John Enoch Longfellow was for many years actively connected with the lumber inter-
ests of Washington but is now living retired in Seattle. He was born in Marshfield,
Maine, August 28, 1849, of the marriage of David Plumer and Rebecca (Getechell) Long-
fellow. The family is descended from one William Longfellow, who emigrated to the
United States about 1656, and our subject is a second cousin of Henry Wadsworth Long-
fellow, the American poet, who is so enshrined in the afi'ections of the common people.
David P. Longfellow was drafted into the Union army in March, 1865, and was discharged
in May of that year.

John E. Longfellow received his education in the common schools of his native town



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 985

and was reared under the parental roof. In 1868 he migrated westward and from i8;6
to 1878 he was manager of a logging camp at Lowell, Washington, for Eugene D. Smith,
and in 1882 he took charge of a logging camp on tlie Skagit river for Daniel Longfellow.
He remained in that connection until 1886, when he purchased the logging outfit and engaged
in lumbering independently on the Sound south of Youngstown until 1892. He was success-
ful in business and is now living retired, enjoying a well earned period of leisure.

Mr. Longfellow was married on the 3d of September, 1883, at Mount Vernon, Wash-
ington, to Miss Lulu J. Boswell, a daughter of James and Elizabeth Boswell. Her father
served in the Confederate army during the Civil war. One Sunday some time after the
close of the war when he and his wife were at church a number of men rode up, called
Mr. Boswell outside and then treacherously shot him. To Mr. and Mrs. Longfellow have
been born the following children : Charles R., represented elsewhere in this work, who
married Roberta B. Plaiter ; Grace, who was born November 20, 1886, and died September
30, 1891 ; Ethel Dorothy and Evelyn, both at home.

Mr. Longfellow is a republican and has taken an active part in local political affairs.
At the time of the incorporation of the city of West Seattle he was elected city treasurer
and served in that office for one year. The following year, in 1905, he was elected a mem-
ber of the city council and in 1907 was again made city treasurer of West Seattle, holding
the office until July of the same year, when West Seattle was annexed to Seattle. In
the summer of 1883 he became a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and
from the ist of July of that year until the ist of January, 1884, he was secretary of his
lodge. From the latter date until July i, 1884, he held the office of vice grand and from
July I, 1884, until January i, 1885, he was noble grand. In 1883 he became connected with
the Knights of Pythias and is a past chancellor commander in that order. He is a member
of the Congregational church of West Seattle and his life has been a force for righteous-
ness in his community. He is well and favorably known and has the warm personal regard
of many.



JOHN A. BENNETT.



John A. Bennett, treasurer of King county, to which position he was elected on the
republican ticket November 10, 1914, was born in Vienna, Missouri, October 9, 1875, the
only son of Judge Christian A. and Mary K. (Burke) Bennett. The father was a native
of Wisconsin and after the close of the war removed to Missouri. A lawyer by profession,
he engaged in practice in that state until 1880, when he went to Colorado and there became
recognized as an eminent jurist. He made his home near Denver and was very active in
all public interests, seeking ever to uphold the general welfare, while at the same time he
proved an eminent representative of that profession to which life, property, right and liberty
must look for protection. In his fraternal relations he was connected with the Elks and the
Odd Fellows. He died in Boulder, Colorado, May i, 1912, at the age of sixty-four years.
His wife, a native of Ireland, was born in Belfast and in her childhood days came to
America with her parents, who settled at RoUa, Missouri. She is still living at the old
home in Boulder, Colorado. By her marriage she had four children, of whom three were
daughters.

John A. Bennett attended the public schools of Colorado to the age of seventeen years
and after putting aside his textbooks began as an employe in his father's office and for a
time read law. Later he secured a position in the auditing department of the Colorado Fuel
& Iron Company at Denver, remaining in active connection with that company until 190S,
when he resigned and came to Seattle. Here he secured the position of bookkeeper with
the Union Oil Company and afterward was advanced to the position of chief clerk, in which
connection he continued until 1909, when he entered the office of the auditor of King county,
serving as auditing clerk for a year. He was afterward with the Whiton Hardware Com-
pany as bookkeeper and cashier and later was chief clerk and chief deputy in the office of
the county treasurer, which service was followed by his election to the office of treasurer
of King county on the republican ticket on the loth of November, 1914. He is now the
chosen custodian of the public funds and is making an excellent record in office through



986 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

the prompt and capable manner in which he is discharging the duties which devolve upon
him.

Mr. Bennett was married in Orleans, Indiana, May 15, 1901, to Miss Anna Warren a
native of that state, and they have two children: Constance, born in Orleans, Indiana,
August 20, 1902; and John Warren, born in Seattle, November 2, 191 1.

Mr. Bennett's military record covers service in the Spanish-American war, during
which he enlisted as a member of Battery A of the Colorado Volunteers, holding the rank
of sergeant. He belongs to the George H. Fortson Camp of the United Spanish War
Veterans. He is prominent in Masonry, being a past master of his lodge, and now holds
membership in Nile Temple of the Mystic Shrine. For a number of years has served in the
Nile Temple's Arab Patrol. He belongs also to the Commercial Club and to the West Seattle
Congregational church— associations which indicate much of the nature of his interests.
In a word he is concerned with all those things which have to do with the individual and
the community in the eiTort to bring about improved conditions working toward a higher
civilization.



SAMUEL NUEL COLLIVER, M. D.

Dr. Samuel Nuel Colliver. a successful physician specializing in diseases of the eye,
ear, nose and throat, along which line he has attained marked proficiency and skill, has
been located at Seattle since October, 1907. He was born June 9, 1879, in West Grove,
Iowa, a son of John Colliver. a native of Kentucky, born in 1829. In 1846, when a youth
of seventeen years, the father removed with his parents to Iowa and for many years he
engaged in the practice of medicine in that state but during his later business life con-
ducted a live stock farm. He has now retired from active business and resides at West
Grove, Iowa. At the time of the Civil war he responded to the country's call for troops,
joining a regiment of Iowa volunteers but illness prevented him from engaging in active
service. He was graduated from the Louisville (Ky.) Medical College and in his pro-
fessional connections his life was one of marked service and value to his fellowmen. He
married Martha Sawyer, who was born in Pulaski county, Tennessee, and was descended
from a pioneer family of that state. They have become the parents of four children, of
whom Samuel N. is the third in order of birth.

After attending the public schools at West Grove, Iowa, Dr. Colliver became a pupil
in the normal school at Bloomfield, from which he was graduated in 1900 with the
Bachelor of Science degree. His early life experiences were those of the farmer and in
assisting in the work of the fields he became familiar with every phase of farm work.
After completing his normal course he entered the University of Illinois and was grad-
uated from the department of medicine in 1904 with the M. D. degree. He put his
theoretical knowledge to the practical test by becoming assistant in the Milwaukee (Wis.)
County Hospital, where he remained for a year, gaining that broad experience which
only hospital work can bring. He afterward removed to Athens, Wisconsin, where he
entered upon the private practice of medicine but four months later he went to Europe
for post-graduate work in the University of Berlin, the University of Vienna, in the
Morfield Eye Hospital of London, England, in the Westminster Eye Hospital in London,
England, and in the Rothschild Eye & Ear Hospital at Paris, remaining a student in those
institutions for more than two years and coming under the instruction of some of the
most eminent specialists of the old world.

Dr. Colliver returned to his native land in October, 1907 and at once came to Seattle,
where he entered upon active practice, specializing in the treatment of the eye, ear, nose
and throat. On the ist of September, 1912, he again went abroad and pursued further
post-graduate courses in the institutions before mentioned, remaining for a period of ten
and a half months. Ere returning he made a complete trip around the world, after which
he again came to Seattle, where he resumed practice, in which he has since been actively
engaged. His ability places him in the foremost rank among the leaders in his line in
the northwest and his practice is now extensive and important. He belongs to the King




DR. SAMUEL N. COLLIVER



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 989

County Medical Society and the American Medical Association and also to the Pacific
Coast Ophthalmological Society.

Dr. Colliver is a republican in his political views and fraternally is a prominent
Mason, belonging to the lodge, chapter, commandery and the Mystic Shrine, all of Seattle.
He likewise has membership in the Elks Lodge, No. 92, of Seattle, and in the Arctic
Club. He is appreciative of the social amenities of life and his friends, who are many,
find him a genial and entertaining companion. He is continually broadening his knowledge
along the lines of work to which he is devoting his life and further study and investiga-
tion are giving him still greater power as a successful practitioner.



SILAS C. ROLL.



Silas C. Roll is one of tlie partners in the Palace Market Company, conducting the
largest retail meat business in Seattle, and his success in that undertaking has enabled
him to become a large investor in city real estate. He is a native of Allamakee county,
Iowa, born March 29, 1870, and is a son of James and Lucy (Post) Roll. The father, a
native of Pennsylvania, was of German descent. In early life he learned the blacksmith's
trade and at the time of the Civil war he responded to the call for troops to preserve
the Union and in an engagement sustained wounds from which he died in later years.
His wife, a native of Iowa, represents an old New England family of English descent
and is now living in Seattle.

The removal of the family to Denver, Colorado, in 1880 gave Silas C. Roll the privilege
of attending the common and high schools of that city. He was first connected with the
meat business at Idaho Springs, Colorado, remaining there for nine years, after which he
came to Seattle in 1891. Here he opened a meat market in partnership with Charles Schoen-
ing, with whom he had been thus connected in Colorado, and for eighteen years they con-
ducted their business at the corner of Second and Yesler streets. When L. C. Smith erected
his forty-two story building, the firm, under the name of the Palace Market Company,
rented the corner of the new building, where they have been serving the public for many
years, and today they are conducting the largest retail meat business in the city. They
were active meat merchants during the pioneer days of the Queen City and kept their horses
at the corner of Second and Spring streets, now in the very heart of the business district.
With the growth of Seattle their trade has extended and their success finds visible expression
in their ownership of a large amount of property, represented by realty within the city and
acreage without.

In May, 1900, Mr. Roll was united in marriage to Miss Sadie A. Bates, a daughter of
Zealous Bates, a California pioneer. They have become parents of three children : Dorothy,
a high school pupil ; and John and Gladys, also attending school.

Mr. Roll is a life member of Elks Lodge, No. 92, and also belongs to the Knights of
Pythias lodge. In politics he has always been a stalwart republican and he is equally zealous
in his support of Seattle, believing that there is no city more favorably situated as to
geological conditions, climate and marine interests. He has witnessed the marked growth
and development of the city during the quarter of a century of his residence here and at
all times has stood for those things which are of municipal benefit.



MARQUIS LORNE THEODORE STEVENS. SR.

Marquis Lome Theodore Stevens, Sr., representing the department of health in the
position of sanitary engineer, has the distinction of occupying an office which was the first
of the kind created in the United States in connection with a health department. A native
of New York, he was born near Rochester, September 23. 1872, a son of Daniel E. Stevens,
whose birth occurred near the old Catskill House on the Hudson river at Catskill, New
York, January 9, 1842. He became a merchant and during the latter part of his life con-



990 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

ducted business as a florist. He married Anna McConnell, a native of Nova Scotia and a
daughter of James McConnell, who was born in Nova Scotia and was of Scotch descent
They became the parents of three children, of whom M. L. T. Stevens was the second in
order of birth. The father died in Port Huron, Michigan, May 24. 1912. but the mother
survives and is now a resident of New York city.

Marquis L. T. Stevens pursued his education in the public schools of Michigan and of
New York city and started out in business life on his own account when seventeen years
of age. He was engaged in mercantile lines and in journalism until 1898 and for some
time was a salesman with Parke, Davis & Company of New York. In 1899 he pursued a
correspondence course in the Scranton (Pa.) School of Correspondence, studying architec-
ture and mining and railroad engineering. In fact he took all branches of engineering and
passed tlie required e.xamination in 1905. Mr. Stevens became a resident of Seattle in
1898 and in 1900 entered upon the profession of architectural engineering, which he fol-
lowed for three and one-half years. His first public position was that of computer in the
city engineering department, with which he was connected until 1908. On the reorganiza-
tion of the department of health and sanitation he was appointed by Dr. James E. Crichton
to the office of sanitary engineer, which position he has since filled. His work consists of
supervision of the division of inspectors in all branches of sanitation, plague work and in
fact supervision of every feature of engineering that has to do with health conditions
of the city. He has forty men directly under his control and he has instituted and developed
some important engineering projects which have largely improved sanitation and thereby
lessened the possibility of the spread of contagious diseases in the city.

On the 24th of January, 1898, in Marysville, IMichigan, Mr. Stevens was joined in wed-
lock to Miss Marie Janet Kerry, a daughter of Aaron Kerry and a representative of a
prominent Marysville family of English descent. Her mother is of Scotch extraction.
Mr. and Mrs. Stevens have two children, namely ; Grant A., who was born in Seattle, July
4, 1899; and Marquis L. T., Jr., whose birth occurred June 15, 1912.

Mr. Stevens has always voted with the republican party but takes no active part in
politics nor has he ever filled public office before. He is a member of the Baptist church
and his military training came to him as a member of Company F, Third Regiment of the
Michigan National Guard, while he was at Port Huron, Michigan. His concern has been
chiefly that his own activities should be so directed as to win him material advancement
without checking his progress along the lines of intellectual and moral development. He
has ever fully recognized the duties and obligations of life, discharging the former promptly
and efficiently and meeting tlie latter in the fullest degree.



CAPTAIN WILLIAM P. THORNTON.

Captain William P. Thornton, port captain for the Puget Sound Navigation Company
and long connected with maritime interests in the northwest, was born in Dubuque, Iowa,
October 3, 1877. His father, Martin J. Thornton, now deceased, was a native of Marjdand
and was of Irish descent, representing, however, an old family established in America
prior to the Revolutionary war, in which members of the family took part. He was too
young to enlist for service in the Civil war but drove some of the army wagons. His wife,
who was in her maidenhood Margaret Hogan, a native of Iowa, is now living in Seattle.
She, too, comes of Revolutionary war ancestry and representatives of her family also
defended the Union in the Civil war.

Captain William P. Thornton was but two years of age when his parents removed
from Iowa to South Dakota, and in the latter state he began his education, which he con-
tinued in Seattle, following his arrival in this city in 1889 when a youth of twelve years.
At the age of fourteen he became connected with the steamboat business, in which he has
since been engaged. He passed through the various stages of promotion until he won the
certificate of captain and has since commanded boats of the Puget Sound Navigation Com-
pany, having at one time or another been in command of the following steamers : the
Iroquois, Chippewa, Indianapolis, Whatcom, Rosalie, Tacoma, Sioux, Utopia, Weialeale, Bel-



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 991

lingham, Lydia Thompson (now the tug motor) and the steamer Sampson. These vessels
plied between Seattle, Vancouver, Victoria, Eellingham, Port Angeles, Neah Bay and Ta-
coma. Captain Thornton was for two years, in 1895 and 1896, in the revenue service on
the different revenue cutters. In 189S he was with the Pacific Coast Company as quarter-
master, filling that position on tlie Lorado, commanded by Captain Frank White, on the
Seattle-Skagway run, and was also with Captain Judson on the San Francisco run. Cap-
tain Thomas is now with the revenue service and Captain Judson is on the steamer How-
ard. At the present writing Mr. Thornton is port captain fo the Puget Sound Navigation
Company. He knows every phase of navigation as represented in the Pacific northwest,
having been identified therewith for almost a quarter of a century. He has witnessed many
changes, for progress has been particularly marked in connection with marine interests, and
his reminiscences concerning the early days are most interesting.

On the i6th of May, 1911, Captain Thornton was married to Miss Frances M. Pierce,
a native of Washington and a daughter of F. M. Pierce, of Enumclaw, Washington, and
of English descent. They have one child, William Clinton. The parents attend the Catholic
church and Captain Thornton belongs to Port Angeles Lodge, No. 353, B. P. O. E. He
was formerly identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows but has left that or-
ganization. In politics he is a republican, having the interest of a good citizen in the political
questions and issues of the day. His attention, however, has chiefly been concentrated upon
his business in connection with navigation and he is now a well known representative of
maritime interests on tlie Sound.



ARCHIBALD BL.\CKBURN GRAHAM.

Archiljald Blackburn Graham is a man of resourceful business ability wlio recognizes
the difficulties, the possibilities and the opportunities of a situation. Energy and persever-
ance are brought to cope with the former and tact and resourcefulness utilize the latter
in the accomplishment of a well defined purpose. His efforts have ever been of a character
that have contributed to public progress as well as to individual success and his name is
inseparably interwoven with the history of development in the various localities in whicli
he has lived.

Mr. Graham was born in Washington county, Ohio, November 2, 1852, a son of William
F. and Philena W. (McGrew) Graham, both of whom were of Pennsylvania Quaker descent.
The father was born October 10, 1821, and became a resident farmer of Washington
county, Ohio, where for many years he devoted his life to tilling the soil. He died August
II, 1885, while his wife, who was born October 14, 1823, survived him until November 23,
1889.

Archibald B. Graham pursued his education in the country schools to the age of fif-
teen years and was afterward graduated from the Iron City Commercial College at Pitts-
burgh, Pennsylvania, on the 7th of April, 1871. He afterward embarked in merchandising
at Volcano, West Virginia, but his business was there destroyed by fire in 1879. He then
removed to Parkersburg, West Virginia, where he established a new process flouring mill
under the name of the Novelty Mill Company and carried on the business for eleven years,
after which he removed to Seattle in 1891. He headed the subscription list and started
sixteen different business concerns while in Parkersburg, including the first electric light
plant and the first ice factory of tliat city.

Mr. Graham left Parkersburg in 1891 and started westward on what was intended to be
a six months' trip. After visiting the principal western cities he arrived at Seattle on the
25th of August. Attracted by the business opportunities, he remained and has since made
Seattle his place of residence. His first interest here was in connection with the W. Mar-
riott Company, which after seven months sold to the Cudahy Packing Company at a hand-
some profit. Mr. Graham then organized the Novelty Mill Company, establishing the first
flouring mill in Seattle and conducting it for some years. In 1892 he was associated with
Charles E. Patton in organizing the firm of Graham & Patton for the conduct of a lum-
ber business. This concern was merged with the .Atlas Lumber & Shingle Company, which



992 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

now owns more than ten thousand acres of the finest cedar and fir lands in Washington.
Of this company Mr. Graham is the president and the directing head, carefully shaping
its policy and planning its activities. In 1896 he organized the firm of Graham & Moore,
jewelers, and predecessors of the present firm of L. L. Moore & Company. In 1901 he
bought out a small concern and reorganized it as the Grahara-Merriam Company for the
conduct of a stationery business, which is now known as the Morey-Merriam Company.
About 1903 he established the Graham-Hickman Companj', printers, binders and bookmakers,
and became its treasurer. After placing that business upon a profitable basis he sold out
to the Metropolitan Press Printing Company. One of the most important enterprises with
which Mr. Graham is associated is the H. S. Turner Investment Company, Incorporated,



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 121 of 142)