Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 122 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 122 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


which was organized in 1904 and capitalized by him.

On the isth of May, 1877, at Volcano, West Virginia, Mr. Graham was married to
Miss Jennie Elizabeth Macabee, a daughter of William and Asenath Elizabeth (Braith-
waite) Macabee. The father was born at Sandy Hook, Virginia, and died in 1855, and the
mother, who was born at Oldtown, Maryland, passed away in February, 1913. The children
of Mr. and Mrs. Graham are : Gene, now the wife of Earl Porter Jamison ; Irene, the wife
of Louis Hamilton Dean, of Tacoma; Juliett; Dana; George Henry; and William
Blackburn.

Mr. Graham votes with the republican party and in his fraternal relations was con-
nected with Mount Olivet Lodge, No. 3, A. F. & A. M. ; Jerusalem Chapter, No. 3, R. A.
M. ; and Calvary Commander}', No. 13, K. T., of which he served as commander in 1889.
Since 1891 his membership has been with Arcana Lodge, No. 87, A. F. & A. M. ; Chapter
No. 19, R. A. M. ; Council No. 6, R. & S. M. ; and Seattle Commandery, No. 2, K. T., of
which he was treasurer for seventeen years. He is also a charter member of Nile Temple,
A. A. O. N. M. S. He belongs also to the Chamber of Commerce and is a cooperant factor
in many of its movements to further the business development and promote the welfare of
the city. His career is noteworthy for the marked stimulus he has given to a large num-
ber of business projects by the investment of the requisite capital and the assistance of his
judgment and advice. He has thus been instrumental not only in advancing useful enter-
prises, but in starting many young men on the road to success. - In many instances failures
have resulted from the incompetent management of others, but without involving losses
to any concerned except Mr. Graham, who in such cases has assumed all outstanding obliga-
tions. He may justly be numbered among those who have pushed forward the wheels of
progress and his contributions to the world's work have been of immense value, his ready
discrimination between the esential and the nonessential enabling him to select tliat whicli
is most worth while as a factor in advancing business interests.



I



WILLIAM AL COWLEY.



William M. Cowley, president and general manager of the Cowley Investment Com-
pany since its incorporation in 1912, was born in Fredericktown, Maryland, April 19, 1858,
and while spending his youthful days in the home of his parents, William D. and Alice M.
Cowley, pursued his education. He was a student in a private school of his native town
until the age of sixteen years and then went to Baltimore, Maryland, where he started
upon his business career as a clerk in the mercantile house of Isaac Startsman, with whom
he remained until 1881. In that year, in connection with Irving Bull, he purchased his
employer's business and there continued the conduct of the store under the firm style of
W. M. Cowley & Company until January, 1891, when he sold out. Immediately afterward
he came to Seattle, where he again embarked in merchandising, conducting a department
store at 719 Second avenue until 1896. He then disposed of his stock and went to the
Yukon territory, engaging in mining on Bonanza creek, near Dawson City. He also owned
mining claims at Hunker and Nome until 1905, when he returned to Seattle, giving his
attention to his property investments and personal interests. Dealing in real estate, he
took another forward step in the establishment of the Cowley Investment Company, which
was incorporated in 191 2, Mr. Cowley becoming the president and general manager. The




WILLIAM M, COWLEV



HISTORY OF SEATTLE ' 995

company deals in mortgages, loans, bonds, real estate and general investments and has
secured a large and gratifying clientage, which makes their business a profitable under-
taking.

On the 29th of November, 1889, in New York city, Mr. Cowley was united in mar-
riage to Miss Jeannette Holland and they have become the parents of four children:
Francis Craig, twenty-four years of age, who is attending the Throop College of Tech-
nology at Pasadena, California, where he is studying electrical and mechanical engineering;
William M., Jr., aged twenty-three years, who is with the Cowley Investment Company;
Joseph Holland, twenty-two years of age, who is also with the Cowley Investment Com-
pany; and a daughter, Jeannette Elise.

Air. Cowley's political opinions are in accord with the principles of the progressive
party and his religious belief conforms to the teachings of the Methodist church, in which
he holds membership. His success in business during the period of his residence in
Seattle has been uniform and rapid. The course which he has followed will bear close
investigation and scrutiny, for in him have been embraced the qualities of unbending
integrity, unabating energy and industry that never flags.



HARRISON S. TAFT.



Mr. Harrison S. Taft, recognizing the great value that cement and concrete would
have in building activities of all kinds, became interested in these materials and has given
many years to the study of the various problems connected with their use in construction
work and is an authority in that line. He maintains offices in the Central building in
Seattle and has won a signal degree of success as a construction engineer. He was born in
Providence, Rhode Island, in which city he received his education. After completing the
work of the preparatory school he entered Brown University, from which institution he
was graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Philosophy. He subsequently matriculated
in the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, which conferred upon him his science degree.
Shortly after his graduation from "The Institute" he entered the United States naval con-
structor's office at Newport News. At the end of two years of government service he
became connected with the American Shipbuilding Company and was engaged for four
years in steel construction. For the ne.xt two years he had charge of steel erection in New
York city. From 1904 until 1907 he was concrete and construction engineer in charge of
concrete construction work for the contractors on the Grand Central yards improvements
from Forty second to Fiftieth street, New York city; and in connection with the Pennsyl-
vania tunnels under the Hudson river and New York city; also upon the concrete locks
of the Champlain canal. From 1907 until 1910 he was contractor's superintendent and had
charge of state road and mill construction work in New York state.

In April of the latter year Mr. Taft removed to the northwest and took up his resi-
dence in Seattle. For a time he had his ofiices in the Crary building but is now located in
the Central building, from which he is practicing independently as a contracting engineer.
He is devoting much time to bridge pier, foundation and railroad work as well as to
marine construction, being an authority on the use of concrete in structures exposed to sea
water. In addition to his professional work Mr. Taft is deeply interested in nautical and
transportation affairs in general and has made an extensive study of the condition of
the port at Seattle as compared to those at the sea ports of the Atlantic. He has deep
confidence in the future possibilities of Seattle as one of the greatest ports of the world.

Mr. Taft has been granted a number of United States patents in connection with his
construction work and is either the sole or associated patentee for apparatus for directing
and recording operations of hydraulic dredges, for hollow expanded heads for concrete
construction as well as several devices pertaining to the construction of concrete struc-
tures. He has contributed articles of value in regard to the use of concrete to such
publications as the Transactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers, the Pacific
Northwest Society of Engineers, the American Concrete Institute and Professional Memoirs.
Among the subjects treated in his articles are: "Standard Tables for Estimating Cost of



996 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

Concrete ;" "Analysis-Cost of Concrete Form Work ;" "Designing, Building and Handling
of Concrete Forms;" "Strength of Concrete Forms;" "Chemistry of Salt Water Cement;"
"Floating Concrete Caissons;" "Concrete Boats and Barges;" "Piles and Pile Driving;"
"Dock Construction ;" "Fire Hazards in Docks ;" "Dock Finance," etc ; also a valuable dis-
cussion upon the Uses of Wood and Concrete in Structures Exposed to Sea Water Action
for the International Engineers Congress held in San Francisco in the fall of 1915.

Mr. Taft gives his political allegiance to the republican party but has never taken an
active part in public affairs, his professional interests requiring his entire time. He belongs
to the Alpha Delta Phi fraternity and along professional lines is a member of the Pacific
Northwest Society of Engineers, of which he is secretary for the year 1916, his election
to that office indicating the high esteem in which he is held by his colleagues.



MELVIN WILLIAM LOVEJOY.

Melvin William Lovejoy, a well known attorney of Seattle, was born at Skowhegan,
Somerset county, Maine, December 31, 1853. He is the son of Marcellus P. and Sophia
(Gilbert) Lovejoy. His great-great-grandfathers on both sides came directly from England,
but it is probable that the great-great-grandfather in the paternal line was of Scotch birth.
His great-grandparents were at one time living on the island of Martha's Vineyard, Massa-
chusetts, and saw some of the English soldiers in Boston prior to the time of the Declaration
of Independence. Nathaniel Gilbert, the maternal grandfather, lived for some time during
his early years on Martha's Vineyard. It is very possible that his people were relatives of
Sir Humphrey Gilbert, one of the early arrivals on the Atlantic coast. He married a lady
by the name of Sophia Stubbs, a resident of Maine. After his marriage he moved to the
town of Kingfield, Franklin county, that state. It was here that the mother of Melvin
William Lovejoy, whose full name was Sophia Stubbs Gilbert, was born and reared. Mar-
cellus P. Lovejoy. the father of Melvin William, was born and lived for a portion of his
boyhood in the town of Pownal, Cumberland county, Maine. He was an unusually active
man during his business career, his life being characterized by indefatigable energy and
industry. During his married life he. with his family, lived in various towns of Maine,
namely: New Portland and Skowhegan, in Somerset county; and Kingfield and Salem in
Franklin county. Both he and his wife passed away in the last town named ; she at the
age of sixty years and he at the age of eighty-five. Their lives were passed without sen-
sational episode at any time ; and thus living quietly, they, with frugality and persistent
industry, reared their family of ten children, all of whom lived to be of majority years.
Mr. Lovejoy, the father of Melvin William, served in the war of the Rebellion during two
enlistments ; one in the Twenty-eighth Maine Regiment, and one in the Second Maine
Cavalry, the time served being about two years in all. From the latter enlistment he was
discharged, but only at the close of the war.

Melvin William Lovejoy was educated in the common and high schools of his native
state, and at the Normal School at Farmington, a state institution. Following his gradua-
tion, and for some time before, he devoted much of his time to the profession of teaching
and to the superintendency of the town schools of Salem and New Sharon. The time
consumed in this line of work was about eight j'ears, but in the meantime he took up the
study of law, spending many long evenings in this branch. In the spring of 1880 he entered
the law ofifice of Judge J. C. Holman, of Farmington, as a law student, and while there
assisted the judge more or less in the general routine of the office work. On the 7th of
March, 1882, at the semi-annual term of the supreme judicial court held at Farmington,
he was admitted to practice. William Wirt Virgin, a member of the supreme court, was
the presiding judge. It may be well to say that except in the largest counties of the
state which were then Cumberland and Kennebec, all of the regular trial court terms of
the several counties were held by the several judges of the supreme court. In the larger
named counties superior court judges were appointed by the governor, which judges held
extra terms in these counties. At the time of Mr. Lovejoy's admission to the bar two



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 997

other candidates, F. E. Timberlake. who is now practicing in Portland, Maine, and Fred
Morrill, who is now in practice in Spokane, Washington, received certificates of admission.
After Mr. Lovejoy's admission to practice he bought out the business of R. D. Trask,
an attorney in practice in the town of New Sharon. There he stayed, working in the line
of his profession with reasonably good success until the year of 1888, when in the fall of
that year he moved to Seattle, where he has since lived and continued his law practice. He
relates to the writer the incidents of one of his first cases — one wliich. as he says, "will
remain long in his mind." "A church deacon, then an aged man, living at New Sharon,
had for many years been a member of the choir of the church (Congregational) to which
he belonged. In early life he had been a gifted singer but his voice had become more or
less broken and he had withal become slightly demented. It seemed that he desired to
lead the choir in their church music but on account of his mental condition it was not
thought best by the other members of the choir that he should do so and consequently was
refused that honor. To this he took a very sensitive exception. However much his voice
had been marred from what it once was as to quality it still retained its old time volume
and loudness. His part was bass, and when he was doing his best with it his music was
practically that of the entire choir. After it became known to him that he was not to lead
the choir there grew up between him and the other members something of an ill feeling.
At several times there was heard loud whisperings from the choir gallery. A real quarrel
had broken out between him and these other members. Uncle Oliver, as we called him,
proclaimed in unmistaken tones, 'that they were oiT the key.' They stopped singing but
he kept on at the top of his voice. This took place in the rear end of the church as the
seats were arranged, in which the choir gallery was located, as many of the old New
England churches were built, instead of being just back of the pulpit as is the case in
present day edifices. The next Sunday the other members of the choir took their places
on the platform of the pulpit, which platform was sufficiently large for the purpose and
near the preacher. Uncle Oliver came in and went to his old place in the gallery at the
rear end. When the preacher had announced the hymn Uncle Oliver opened his book
to the place and poured forth his bass louder, if possible, than ever before. Everybody in
the main seats turned around and looked at him. Some of the members of the church
went back where he was and asked to refrain from further singing. This, he refused to do.
The other members of the choir stopped singing as they had done the Sunday before. The
next day a warrant was sworn out against Uncle Oliver charging him with the wilful dis-
turbance of a religious meeting and against the laws of the state. I was employed to prose-
cute the case. When he was brought into court to answer to the charge there were hardly
less than twenty witnesses which he had had summoned in his behalf that came in behind
him. This being rather a novel case for that community it brought forth many spectators.
The court room was overcrowded. The trial was humorous on all sides. In the course
of it Uncle Oliver offered to the court a sample of his singing but objections from the side
of the prosecution were sustained and the trial went through without that feature. Uncle
Oliver was not fined but in view of that decision by the judge he promised to refrain from
further singing in that church. He kept his promise. As he rode back into the village
of his home town from the place of the trial which was at Farmington, he was met by a
score or more of his old townsmen and happily greeted by them, he swinging his hat and
hurrahing as he was able to do, in a most forceful manner. Be it said of him, he had
been a worthy and useful citizen of the town, and every one was glad to overlook the
little infraction that he had seemingly committed in the home church." Since then Mr.
Lovejoy has tried many cases of far greater importance, in fact has been accorded a large
and distinctive clientage. He was admitted to practice in the state courts of Washington,
and in the federal court for the district of the state of Washington in the winter of 1889.
On the 19th of November, 1884, Mr. Lovejoy was married to Miss Lottie Anna Samp-
son, daughter of Edwin and Betsey (Bemis) Sampson, of Lexington, both of English
descent. The wedding ceremony was performed by Rev. Leonard Hutchins, a Free-Will
Baptist preacher and an old pastor of both of these young people, at East New Portland.
Mrs. Lovejoy's father died many years ago but her mother is still living. She resides with
a son, Rev. E. L. Sampson, at Foxcroft, Maine. There were four children in her father's
family. Two sons and two daughters. Dr. George E. Sampson, the older brother, resides



998 . HISTORY OF SEATTLE

at Skowhegan. He carries on a large drug business in that small city. The sister, the
oldest of the famity, whose name is Abbie, married Charles Hutchins, who is in the lumber
business. Their home is at Phillips, Maine. Mrs. Lovejoy was at the time of her marriage
the preceptress of Anson (Maine) Academy. Since her marriage she has devoted a great
deal of time to art, her specialties being water and oil paintings. She is considered one of
the best artists in these lines in Seattle.

Mr. Lovejoy is a believer in the Christian religion but not a member of any church.
He attends, however, the Congregational church more than any other. Since the spring
of 1888, he has held membership in the Odd Fellows Lodge at Farmington, Maine. In
the year 1894, he was elected city alderman from the Ninth ward, then comprising what
is now the Ninth, Tenth and Eleventh wards of the city of Seattle. Since the end of
that term he has never held nor sought public office but gives his undivided attention to the
practice of his profession. He has on the whole been successful. While he could not be
called a wealthy man he is in good financial circumstances. His has been an active and
well spent life, displaying many sterling traits which have established him firmly in public
regard.



CHARLES SUMNER BEST.

Charles Sumner Best, although a comparative newcomer in the state of Washington,
has already made for himself an enviable name in Seattle for the work which he has done
in improving conditions in insurance circles and wiping out insurance laws that were
obnoxious to all persons working under them. In a word, he was largely instrumental
in placing the business on a more dignified basis and in securing H. O. Fishback as the
state insurance commissioner. Guided in all things by high ideals, his work has been
reformatory and constructive and its results will be felt in substantial benefits for years
to come.

Mr. Best is a native of Caldwell, New Jersey. He was born November 27, 1872,
a son of W. J. Best, a native of Ireland, who in early manhood came to the United States
and engaged in the linen business, but, taking up the profession of law, was for many
years prior to his death a practicing attorney of New York city. His wife, who has also
passed away, bore the maiden name of Margare.t Magilton. She was a native of England
and came to the new world in her childhood days.

Charles Sumner Best was educated in the public and high schools of New York city
and of Washington, D. C, completing his course in 1886. Crossing the threshold of the
business world, he first engaged in mercantile lines in New York city, where he remained
until 1889. He then turned his attention to railroad construction and operation in con-
nection with his father, who at the time was engaged in that line of business. In 1894
Charles Sumner Best became connected with the Bradstreet Mercantile Company of New
York city and three and a half years later turned his attention to insurance reporting in
New York, where he continued until 1907. That j'ear witnessed his arrival in Seattle,
where he engaged in the general insurance business, in which he still continues. He is
manager of the Casualty Company of America and is the western representative of A. M.
Best & Company, the senior partner being his brother. Among the insurance companies
represented by the firm are the Alliance (Pa.) Fire Insurance Company and the Dubuque
Fire & Marine Insurance Company. The firm of A. M. Best & Company for which he
was secretary and treasurer in New York in 1907, publishes the Best Insurance Reports,
which are widely known. The specific work which has brought Charles Sumner Best
into prominence in the northwest has been his effort to purify conditions in insurance
circles here and his work has been far-reaching and resultant. In 1909 he was appointed
by Governor Hay as one of a commission to draft the new. insurance code and after a
very careful study of the conditions a code was drafted which was passed by the legis-
lature' in 191 1, constituting the creditable law that now governs the insurance business
of the state.

In his political views Mr. Best is a republican but not an active party worker. He is
a Protestant in religious belief, attending the Presbyterian and the Episcopal churches.



n






HISTORY OF SEATTLE 1001

The standards which govern his life are high. He has ever held to the belief that success
and an honored name may be won simultaneously and has therefore conducted his inter-
ests according to high standards and has made his influence felt as a moving force for
good in the business world.



CHARLES A. COWIE.



Charles A. Cowie, auditor with the Puget Sound Navigation Company, was born
February 20, 1873, in St. Paul, Minnesota. His father, William H. Cowie, a native of Aber-
deen, Scotland, came to Seattle in 1883, and was engaged in the furniture business until
,1888, after which he established a jewelry store that he conducted until the fire of 1889.
He then turned his attention to the practice of law and continued active in the profession
until his death. He was a member of the volunteer fire department of the city at the time
of the memorable conflagration which swept away the business district. He was popular
and prominent, was a valued member of Elks Lodge, No. 92, and passed through all the
chairs of Harmony Lodge. K. P. He married Matilda Killen, also a native of Scotland
and she died in 1882, while his death occurred in 1901. In the family were two sons, the
brother of Charles A. Cowie having been employed by the Standard Furniture Company
of Seattle until 1902, when he was drowned in Lake Washington, at the age of twenty-
four years.

Charles A. Cowie was educated in the common schools of Portland, Oregon, and of
Seattle. Starting out on his own account, he first engaged in the business of watch mak-
ing, which he followed for one and a half years. He afterward turned his attention to
clerical work, entering the employ of J. B. Powles. Later he was with Godwin & Company
and afterward was bookkeeper for Sheriff Van De Vanter. Later he occupied a similar
position with the Puget Sound Tug Boat Company under Captain J. B. Libby until 1900, and
subsequently was bookmaker with J. T. Heffcrnan until 1904, and afterward witli the
Seattle Electric Company, now the Puget Sound Traction Company, with which he con-
tinued until March, 1907. He then established a grocery store which he conducted until
June, 1908, and since that date has been identified with the Puget Sound Navigation Com-
pany, of which he is now auditor. He also has real estate interests in Seattle.

Mr. Cowie has been married twice, first in 1896, by which marriage he had a daughter,
Helen, now attending school. In October, 1910, in Seattle, he wedded Mary Gillies, a daugh-
ter of James G. Gillies, one of the pioneer settlers of Seattle, in which city Mrs. Cowie was
born. They attend the Presbyterian church and Mr. Cowie belongs to St. John's Lodge.
No. 9, A. F. & A. M. of Seattle. In politics he is a republican and has represented his party
in the convention at Port Townsend. Almost his entire life has been spent in the Pacific



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 122 of 142)