Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 123 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 123 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

northwest and he has a wide and favorable acquaintance in tliis city which has so long
been his home.


' Dentistry is unique among the professions in that it demands a threefold capability —
marked mechanical skill and ingenuity, broad scientific knowledge and the power to wisely
direct financial interests. Well equipped in these regards,. Dr. Tenny has gained a creditable
place among the able dental practitioners of Seattle and his life history stands in contra-
distinction to the old adage that a prophet is never without honor save in his own coun-
try, for he is a native son of Seattle, in which city he has won his success. He was born
August 22, 1879. His father, Lewis H. Tenny, a native of the state of New York, came to
Seattle in 1875 and was the founder of the Washington Iron Works, in which he was asso-
ciated with J. M. Frink. He continued in that business until the great fire of 1889 and was
a very prominent representative of the iron industry but is now living retired. On the
4th of July, 1885, while engaged in carrying on the celebration of the day, through an un-


fortunate accident in the premature discharge of a cannon, he lost his left hand, an inci-
dent well remembered by many of the early pioneers. In politics he is a republican but
has never sought nor filled public office. Fraternally he is connected with the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows and his religious faith is indicated by his membership in the First
Methodist church or the old White church, as it was called in the early days. He is a
Civil war veteran, having joined Battery M of the First New York Heavy Artillery. He
went with Sherman on the march to the sea and participated in a number of the hotly con-
tested engagements that led up to the final victory that crowned the Union arms. He mar-
ried Lydia Ann Bumpus, a native of New York, in which state the wedding was celebrated.
She accompanied her husband to Seattle and here passed away June 8, 1899, at the age of
fifty-four years. In the family were three children, Lewis, Laura and Cecil.

The last named was educated in the public and high schools of Seattle and in the
University of Maryland at Baltimore, in which he pursued his professional course, winning
the D. D. S. degree in 1901. He immediately began practice in this city in the old Globe
building and has since been an active representative of the profession of dentistry, in
which he has made steady progress, his growing ability winning him increasing success.
He is a member of the King County Dental Society, the Washington State Dental Society
and the National Dental Society.

On the 8th of June, 1905, in Seattle, Dr. Tenny was joined in wedlock to Miss Marie
J. G. Crivelli, a native of Milano, Italy, and a daughter of Erminio and Madame Berta
Crivelli, the former being now a resident of San Francisco, while the latter is deceased.
The mother of Mrs. Tenny was a well known vocalist and a daughter of Dr. J. Von
Holschuer, a prominent physician of the early days. Dr. and Mrs. Tenny have three chil-
dren, namely: Cecille Hortense, born August 27, 1907; Milton Crivelli, whose natal day was
April 7, 1909 ; and Byron Erminio, whose birth occurred on the 17th of December, 1910.
All are natives of Seattle.

In politics Dr. Tenny is a republican and fraternally he is connected with the Masonic
lodge and council, also with the college fraternity. His religious belief is evidenced in
his membership in the First Presbyterian church. Dr. Tenny has a wide acquaintance in
the city in which he has always made his home and his circle of friends is almost coextensive


J. W. Godwin is now living retired in Seattle but in former years was actively
identified with the wholesale fruit and produce business. He was born upon a farm at
what is now Bloxom, Virginia, in Accomac county, August 23, i860, a son of O. W. and
Elizabeth (Bloxom) Godwin, both new deceased. The father was a farmer by occupation
and served as captain of a military company that was organized in Virginia in 1861. Both
he and his wife came of English ancestry, representing families that were founded on
American soil prior to the Revolutionary war.

J. W. Godwin acquired his education in the common schools of Virginia and started
upon his business career as clerk in a general store at Modest Town, Virginia, remaining in
that position for two years. He afterward spent two years as clerk in a fruit and produce
house at Philadelphia and later removed to Wilmington, Delaware, to engage in business
on his own account. He established an enterprise of a similar character there and after
five years sold out to his brother, who died two years ago, leaving the business, which he
had conducted through the intervening years, to his sons, who are still conducting it. In
1890 J. W. Godwin came to Seattle, where he opened a wholesale fruit and produce store,
which he conducted with growing success for thirteen years, or until 1903, when he sold out
to the firm of J. B. Powles & Company, who are still carrying on the trade. In 1909 Mr.
Godwin established another store of a similar character with A. E. Wanamaker as a part-
ner under the firm style of J. W. Godwin & Company and for five years was active in its
successful management and control but sold out the business in 1914 and has since lived
retired. He owns a large amount of stock of the Dexter Horton National Bank and has


large realty holdings of business property, his extensive and judicious investments bringing
to him a most gratifying annual income.

In Philadelphia, in February, 1902, Mr. Godwin married Miss Ella Dickinson. He is a
member of St. John's Lodge, A. F. & A. M., the Seattle Commandery, K. T. and the
Mystic Shrine, and also belongs to the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He also has
membership in the Chamber of Commerce and the Arctic Club. His political allegiance is
given to the democratic party and he took an active interest in politics from 1896 until
1907, at one time heading the ticket as candidate for mayor. He has been a delegate to
county and state conventions and was also a delegate to the democratic national convention
which nominated Bryan the second time. He is very prominent, has a wide circle of
friends and enjoys the warm regard of all with whom he has come in contact. He arrived
in Seattle the year following the fire, when the city was enjoying the impetus of rebuilding
and new growth. He recognized and utilized his opportunities and in the passing years
has contributed in large measure to public progress and advancement through his associa-
tion with commercial, financial and real estate interests. His marked business ability is
attested in his success and the most envious cannot grudge him his prosperity, so worthily
has it been won and so well used.


Ralph Ashley Horr, a member of the Seattle bar since 1907, was born August 12,
1882, in Saybrook, Illinois, a son of Louis H. and Emma E. (Rock) Horr. The father's
ancestors lived in Massachusetts and the mother's in Virginia and Ralph A. Horr is a rela-
tive of Roswell G. Horr, congressman from Michigan. In the maternal line also he comes
of ancestry honorable and distinguished, being a lineal descendant of Thomas Jefferson.

High valuation ever being put upon intellectual attainment in the family, Ralph Ashley
Horr was accorded liberal advantages in tliat direction : lie attended the University of Illi-
nois and graduated from the University of Wasliington. His life experiences have been
of a broadening quality that has developed a cosmopolitan viewpoint. In a word, he is a
broad-minded man of comprehensive general information. Having studied law, he was
assistant prosecuting attorney of Ford county, Illinois, in 1905, and in that year he took the
stump in support of Charles Deneen, candidate for governor. He served as private secre-
tary to Senator Dunlap in the following year and in 1907 came to Seattle. He opened a
law office in 1910 and has since been engaged in practice, his ability in the field of his pro-
fession gaining him a large clientage, while his devotion thereto has become proverbial.
He was admitted to the Seattle bar in 1910 and aside from his activity in his profession, he
has become well known in political and athletic circles. He was athletic manager of the
University of Illinois and graduate manager of the University of Washington. On two
different occasions he took the Washington University crew to Poughkeepsie. New York,
where they made a good showing, the expense money for the trip being raised by popular
subscription. In 1913 he took the University of Washington baseball team to Japan, where
they won nearly every game in which they participated. The men were there feted and
banqueted and royally entertained and Mr. Horr was frequently called upon to act as toast-
master. They were entertained bj' the government and Admiral Togo. At one banquet
Mr. Horr was greatly surprised and almost overcome by being requested to respond to the
"alien land law of California," but managed to make a clever and graceful exit from an
awkward situation by saying that America had forty-five provinces (states) and compared
the country to a mother with forty-five children, saying that if one of the forty-five children
did something naughty, the other children and the mother were not to blame, etc. This
pleased the Japanese greatly and was printed in all the Japanese papers.

Mr. Horr has retired now from active connection with athletics and for some time
has taken a deep interest in politics. In fact, political problems have always engaged his
attention from his youth and early manhood. He feels it the duty as well as the privilege
of every true American citizen to espouse the cause and principles in which he believes and
he expects to be ever keenly interested in politics. He served as assistant deputy treasurer


of King county under W. A. Hanna but has not been an office seeker. He has always been
a stanch republican and his work has been an effective force in winning party success. He
is now devoting more and more time to his law practice, which is rapidly growing, and he
has become well known as a successful practitioner in the criminal law courts, rarely losing
a case.

On the 25th of October, 1910, at Cherokee, Iowa, Mr. Horr was married to Miss Beulah
Johnson, a daughter of George Johnson, a lineal descendant of Charles Eliot of Harvard,
and of Colonel Ethan Allen of Revolutionary war fame. Their only child, a daughter,
Virginia Delta, was born in 1913.

Mr. Horr's military experience covers honorary service with the Illinois National Guard
and by brevet he was raised to the rank of first lieutenant. He is a Master Mason and a
member of the Royal Arch chapter Masons. He also has membership with the Odd Fel-
lows, the Woodmen of the World and the Elks. His college fraternities are the Delta Tau
Delta and the Phi Delta Phi. He holds membership with the Sons of the American Revolu-
tion, the Commercial Club and the Municipal League, associations that indicate much of
the character of his interests and the nature of his activities outside his profession. He
comes of an ancestry honored and distinguished and it seems that liis lines of life have
been cast in harmony therewith.


Shipbuilding, one of the important industries of the northwest, has a prominent repre-
sentative in Albert M. Winge, who comes from a land in which the same occupation figures
prominently as a source of revenue, for he is a native of Norway, his birth having occurred
at Drammen, Norway. February 25, 1868. While spending his youthful days in the home
of his parents, Bernard and Mina Winge, he attended the public schools to the age of thir-
teen years and then learned the machinist's trade in a paper mill, being thus employed
until 1883, when he went to sea, spending a year and a half as deck hand. Later he came
to the United States and made his way to Kansas City, Missouri, where he learned the
cabinetmaker's trade, to which he devoted three years. He next went to Los Angeles,
where he worked as a cabinetmaker for a year and on the expiration of that period he pro-
ceeded to San Francisco, following the carpenter's trade for three years. Later he came
to Seattle and for a year was employed in the Mechanics Planing Mill as a cabinetmaker.
He later served in the same capacity with the firm of Ruff & Shroeder for three years and
afterward as a carpenter spent a year in the employ of the Western Planing Mill. Still
later he worked as a cabinetmaker on the building of the University of Washington for
eight months and for two years he conducted a billiard parlor. He afterward spent a
year in the fish business but sold out and went to Alaska, where for six months he had
charge of the construction of a cannery. After his return to Seattle he went to Port
Blakeley, where he entered the employ of Hall Brothers, shipbuilders, for whom he worked
as a ship joiner for seven months and then again came to Seattle, remaining in the employ
of various shipbuilders until 1896. In that year he removed to Vancouver, British Colum-
bia, where he had charge of the construction of a beautiful home for Alfred Manguson,
devoting ten months to that business. Once more he came to Seattle and at that period
accepted the position of foreman with a shipbuilding concern with which he remained for
six months and later spent eight months as foreman with Percy Copp, a ship repairer.
The succeeding two years were passed as a ship joiner in the employ of Charles Reed, a ship
repairer, after which he became a partner of T. J. King in the present firm of King &
Winge. shipbuilders. This business has since continued and the enterprise is now an
important one of Seattle, the extent of their business being evidenced in the fact that they
furnish employment to from fifty to two hundred workmen. They are very prompt in
executing orders, hold to high standards of workmanship and in all business dealings are
thoroughly reliable.

On the 5th of January, 1895, in Seattle, Mr. Winge was united in marriage to Miss
Bertha Ottesen. by whom he has three children. Fraternally he is identified with the



?: \

v^i^- '

^'..;';^^ \u>'^^^^'\


Masonic order. He has never sought to figure prominently in public life but has always
concentrated his efforts upon his business dealings and his activities have brought him to
a creditable position as a representative of industrial interests in Seattle.


Percy T. Ainge, vice president and general manager of the Interior Fi.xture Bureau,
designers and contractors for interior fixtures at Seattle, in which connection a large and
profitable business has been built up, was born in Roanoke, Virginia, February 23, 18S4, a
son of William Eli and Susan Ann (Taylor) Ainge. The father, a native of London,
England, came to America about 1880 and was president of the N. E. Ainge Audit Com-
pany, which operated in Pittsburgh, New York and other eastern cities. His wife is a
daughter of J. D. Taylor, a native of Halifax, England, and is still living. She became
the mother of nine children, five sons and four daughters, all of whom survive.

Percy T. Ainge was educated in the public and high schools of New York city, which
training was supplemented by a special course in architecture at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania,
under private tutors. .After a three years' apprenticeship in the line of his profession he
became a draftsman with tlie .\n Metal Company, of Jamestown, New York, with which
he remained for four years and subsequently he spent three years in the employ of the
General Fire Proofing Company of Youngstown, Ohio, after which he came to the Pacific
coast, arriving in Portland, Oregon, in the spring of 1909. He then established business
as a designer and contractor in interior fixtures in marble, bronze, wood and steel for
banks, libraries, lodge rooms, courthouses and public buildings, and in 1912 the business
was removed to Seattle, where had originally been established a branch of the Portland
office. The business is a partnership affair owned by Mr. Ainge and J. C. Cook. Their
patronage comes from all over the northwest and during the past year they installed the
fixtures in about seventy-five banks and other commercial offices. Mr. Ainge and Mr.
Cook are also doing business under the name of the Hydraulic Forcing Press Company of
Seattle, which is likewise a profitable undertaking.

In Portland, Oregon, in 1913, Mr. Ainge was married to Miss Corrine Shory, a native
of Maine and a daughter of J. Shory, a resident of Portland. In politics Mr. Ainge is a
stalwart republican, faithful to the principles of the party. He belongs to the Commer-
cial Club and is interested in all that pertains to the welfare of the city, so that he gives
active cooperation to the definite and direct plans formed by the club for Seattle's improve-
ment. He is a lover of the northwest and believes there is a great future for Seattle and
that the opportunity for young men is greater in no part of the country than in this city.


Dr. George N. McLoughlin, one of the most successful of Seattle's physicians, his suc-
cess resulting from comprehensive understanding of the scientific principles of medicine
and from practical experience, was born in Nashville, Tennessee, May 21, 1868. His father,
James J. McLoughlin, a native of Ireland, came to .'America in 1850 and first located in
Connecticut. He was a merchant tailor by trade and he died in 1893, at the age of fifty-
three years. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Susan Picard, was a native of Ten-
nessee and was of French descent, her ancestors having been early settlers of Tennessee.
Mrs. McLoughlin survives and is now residing at the old home in Nashville. Five children
were born of their union, four of whom are daughters and all are yet living.

The only son, Dr. McLoughlin, was educated in the public and high schools of Colum-
bia, Tennessee, and in the George Washington University of Washington, D. C, from
which he was graduated with the class of 1895. He was connected with the United States
government Indian service at Fort Simcoe, Washington, as agency physician from 1900
until 1902. During the two succeeding years he was surgeon on the United States coast


and geodetic survey in northern Pacific waters and when he resigned located in Seattle,
where he entered upon the private practice of medicine, in which he has since continued
very successfully. He is also associate surgeon of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Louis
Railway at Seattle and is surgeon for many industrial concerns of the city. He took post-
graduate work in the Philadelphia Polyclinic in 1904 and in the Chicago Policlinic in 1908
and he keeps in close touch with the advanced thought and discoveries of the profession
through wide reading and study, making frequent trips to medical centers. He holds
membership in the King County Medical Society, the Washington State Medical Association
and the American Medical Association. In the county society he served as secretary in
1908 and he was vice president in 1910 of the Washington State Medical Association.

On the 26th of June, 1907, in Seattle, Dr. McLoughlin was united in marriage to
Miss Frances Raberg, a native of Minnesota. They reside in a beautiful home at No. 1239
Twentieth avenue and the Doctor's office is at 505 Cobb building. In religious faith Dr.
McLoughlin is a Catholic and he is a member of the Knights of Columbus, the Benevolent
Protective Order of Elks, the College Club, the Chamber of Commerce and the Alunicipal
League. In politics he is a democrat and in 1908 and again in 1912 was a candidate for the
office of coroner. He is not taking an active part in politics now, concentrating his energies
upon his profession, in which steady progress has brought him to a prominent and enviable


The state of Washington is justly famed for its magnificent forests and these forests
add to the beauty and grandeur of the scenery of this wonderful state, but more than any-
thing else the four hundred billion feet of standing timber comprises a resource capable
of sustaining an empire. Therefore it is not surprising that lumbering and logging should
stand in first place among the industries of the state. Statisticians say that sixty cents of
every dollar paid out for wages in the state of Washington is put into circulation by the
lumber industry. The state of Washington stands first of all in the Union in the production
of lumber and manufactures si.xty per cent of all of the shingles produced in the United

It is only natural then that a large percentage of the state's prominent and successful
business men are lumbermen and this is particularly true in the western part of the state
where the huge forests of fir, cedar, spruce and hemlock abound and where shipping facili-
ties for carrying the lumber products to all parts of the world are at hand. The state of
Washington is yet a young state and the lumber industry, although it has developed to such
huge proportions, is still a youth. It is therefore not uncommon to find that many of our
prominent and progressive lumber manufacturers are citizens by adoption rather than native
sons and the good old state of Pennsylvania has done its part in sending us many of its
worthy sons.

It was in Galeton, Potter county, Pennsylvania, that the subject of this sketch was born
August 12, 1868. Louis G. Horton. who is now a well known lumberman making his home
in Seattle, is president of the Cedar Lake Logging Company, of this city and secretary-
treasurer and general manager of the Northwest Lumber Company, which has offices in
Seattle, and mills and logging operations at Kerriston, Washington. He is the son of
Alonzo B. Horton, also a native Pennsylvanian, and Antoinette R. Merrick-Horton. He
can trace his lineage through a long line of patriots who fought for this country in her
days of need, and through his mother's side of the family, back to early New Yorkers and
English ancestors to a former king of Wales. Mr. Horton's mother is still living, enjoying
excellent health in the old family home at Wellsboro, Pennsylvania. His father passed away
in the year 1900, being at that time sixty-seven years of age and suffering the effects of
wounds received in the Civil war. He had joined the Union army as a volunteer in a Penn-
sylvania regiment and was made lieutenant, from which position he was advanced to the
rank of captain in the One Hundred and Fortj'-ninth Pennsylvania, known as the Bucktail
reo-iment. He was wounded at the Battle of the Wilderness and for six months was incar-
cerated in Libby prison. After the war he became a successful merchant in Wellsboro,


Pennsylvania, which was for many years the home of the son, Louis G. Horton, and where
the latter received his education. Mr. Morton's grandfather also gave his services to his
country, and became a drummer boy in the Revolutionary war.

Louis G. Horton was one of a family of eight children and after attending the public
and high schools of Wellsboro he secured a position as clerk in the freight and ticket
office of the Erie Railroad at Blossburg, Pennsylvania. He was at that time eighteen years
of age and received a salary of forty dollars per month, which he considered a munificent
sum. Mr. Horton was in the service of the Erie Railroad for seventeen years and at the
time of leaving it was chief clerk and cashier. He then went with the Susquehanna & New
York Railroad where he was general freight and passenger agent at Williamsport, Penn-
sylvania, and remained with that company for tvvfo years. Leaving the Susquehanna & New
York Railroad, Mr. Horton became assistant sales manager and claim agent for the Cen-
tral Pennsylvania Lumber Company which was a subsidiary company of the United States
Leather Company, and he remained in that position for five years, during which time he
became well acquainted with W. L. Barclay, who was then operating the mill for the same

Later Mr. Barclay, Mr. Horton and others bought out the Kerry Mill Company, at
Kerriston, Wash., and reorganized it, naming it the Northwest Lumber Company. Mr.
Horton having moved to Seattle at that time, became secretary and general manager of
the company, which position he still holds.

Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 123 of 142)