Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 124 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 124 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


In 1912 Mr. Horton together with J. E. Frost, of Seattle, and W. H. Bonner, of Ever-
ett, organized and incorporated the Cedar Lake Logging Company, of which Mr. Horton
is president. The Northwest Lumber Company operates a large sawmill plant and logging
operations at Kerriston, and the Cedar Lake Logging Company, having bought a tract of
timber on the Cedar River watershed, operates a logging camp, putting about seven million
feet of logs into the Puget Sound log market each month.

On January 16, 1890, Mr. Horton was united in marriage to Miss Lenora R. Robinson,
of Blossburg, Pennsylvania. Mrs. Horton is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Rob-
inson and a representative of an old New Jersey family. Mr. and Mrs. Horton have one
son, Russel B. Horton, who was born in Blossburg, Pennsylvania, and is now a member
of the senior class of the University of Washington. The young man expects to follow
in footsteps of his father and become a successful lumberman and for that reason is mak-
ing a special study of lumber and timber.

Mr. Horton is a member of the Presbyterian church, and of the Masonic Lodge at
Blossburg, Pennsylvania, the Scottish Rite Consistory at Williamsport, Pennsylvania, and
is a member of Nile Temple of the Mystic Shrine at Seattle. He is a member of
Seattle's most exclusive club, the Rainier Club, and also a member of the Metropolitan-
Lumbermen's Club. Li politics he is a consistent member of the republican party. He
attributes his measure of success in business life to steadiness, habits of industry, and close
application to the work in which he has engaged. Seattle and the Pacific northwest need
such business men and such citizens and the state of Washington sends her thanks to her
sister commonwealth, the great state of Pennsylvania, for the many of this type she has
sent us.



WILLL^M H. WEAVER.



William H. Weaver, president of the Metropolitan Laundry Company, was born in
Rochester, Michigan, in March, 1870, a son of Harrison Weaver. He attended the public
schools there to the age of fourteen years, after which he accompanied his parents on their
removal to Denver, Colorado, where he attended high school to the age of seventeen years.
He then made his entrance into the workaday world as an employe of the Union Pacific
Railroad Company, acting as messenger to the assistant general freight agent for two years.
The lure of the west was upon him, and leaving Denver, he made his way to Portland,
Oregon, where he entered the employ of the Oregon Railway & Navigation Company as
car recorder, occupying that position for two years. He next went to Anaconda, Montana,
where he filled the position of chief clerk for the superintendent of motor power of the



1010 . HISTORY OF SEATTLE

Montana & Union Railroad Company until 1892, when he became chief clerk for the comp-
troller of the Butte, Anaconda & Pacific Railroad. After filling that position for seven
years or until 1899 he resigned and purchased the Anaconda Laundry, which he conducted
until igoo, when he sold out and came to Seattle.

On arriving in this city Mr. Weaver purchased the grocery store of Stetson Brothers
and conducted that business until 1901, when he sold out and became owner of the Globe
Steam Laundry, which he operated until 1905. He then established the Marine Laundry at
Seventh and Columbia streets, conducting it for about a year, when he disposed of the
business and invested in real estate, concentrating his energies upon the supervision of his
property interests. In 191 1 he bought the Metropolitan Laundry and is now president of the
Metropolitan Laundry Company, Incorporated, which is one of the most extensive enter-
prises of this character in the northwest. He furnishes employment to seventy-five people,
operates twelve wagons and four auto trucks. His plant is equipped with the latest improved
machinery, including the Guggenheim neck-band press and the Guggenheim double sliding
board shirt press, which irons the yoke and sets up the shirt the same as ironed when new.
When Mr. Weaver began business he had but one driver and today he has four automo-
biles and twelve wagons, covering all portions of Seattle, where his customers are now
numbered by the thousands. It has been his constant aim to give to his patrons the highest
quality of work possible. He followed the methods of the pioneer in installing improved
machinery and many modern devices and systems to promote the work and render it of
the highest character possible. These things have brought to him a liberal and well deserved
patronage.

On the 5th of November, 1889, in Portland, Oregon, Mr. Weaver was united in mar-
riage to Miss Silva Dehon, by whom he has four children, as follows : Mrs. Ethel
(Weaver) Wagner, who resides in Washington, D. C. ; Gengita Prudence, a student in
the University of Washington: William H., Jr., who is eleven years of age and a public
school student; and John Wesley, seven months old.

In his political views Mr. Weaver is a republican and was elected to represent the
eleventh ward in the city council, serving for two terms, during which he stanchly sup-
ported various measures for the public good. Fraternally he is a Mason and a Knight of
Pythias. He also belongs to the National Union, while his religious faith is that of the
Methodist church. Many substantial qualities have gained him the warm regard of those
with whom he has been brought in contact, while indefatigable enterprise and intelligently
directed industry have gained for him his business success.



JOHAN BRYGGER.



Johan Brygger was a man who loved Seattle and did much for its improvement and
upbuilding. His devotion to the city, his public spirit and his important business con-
nections made him widely known. He was born in Norway in 1824, his parents spending
their entire lives there.

It was in the early '70s that Mr. Brygger crossed the Atlantic to the new world and
in 1875 he was married to Miss Anna S. Peterson, by whom he had seven children, five
of whom are yet living, namely : Mrs. S. W. Baker, a resident of Tacoma ; and John,
Anna, Jennie B. and Albert, all of this city.

It was in February, 1876, that Mr. Brygger came to Seattle by way of California. In
Norway he had taken up the occupation to which his family devoted their energies and
was the owner of a fishing fleet there. Subsequently he turned his attention to financial
pursuits and became owner of a bank in Norway. He first visited Seattle while looking
for a favorable location in the northwest. He purchased a farm at Stanwood, on which
he resided for about seven years, but his health failed and he returned to Seattle. He
had previously purchased one hundred and fifty acres of land in Ballard, which is now a
part of Seattle, and built thereon a log cabin. This gave him a fine view of the Sound,
for he loved the salt water. He continued the owner of that property until his death,
but it has since been platted and sold as building lots and is now a part of Seattle's resi-




JOHAX BRVGGER



.■a\



..St I



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 1013

dence district. A beautiful home was erected on the tract for his family, and as he
prospered he put forth every effort possible to increase their happiness and promote their
interests. He had great confidence in the future of Seattle and loved the city, and it was
a well merited honor when Brygger Hill was so named. He also purchased one hundred
and twenty acres of land, eighty acres of which are now a part of Fort Lawton and
thirty acres adjoining are now owned by the family.

Mr. Brygger took an active and commendable interest in public affairs and for a
number of years was one of the influential members of the school board at Ballard. He
held membership in the Methodist Episcopal church but also assisted in building the Stan-
wood Lutheran church. He was a broad-minded man who recognized good in all and his
influence was always on the side of right and progress, of reform and advancement. After
a useful and well spent life he passed away at his home in Ballard on the 20th of Novem-
ber, 1888.



FRANK J. HEMEN.



Frank J. Hemen's reminiscences of Seattle are most interesting. His connection with
the city dates back to the period when bears were hunted in the district around the foot
of Queen Anne Hill. He was also here when the first street car was built and with the
phases of pioneer development he was closely associated. His birth occurred in Eau Claire,
Wisconsin, on the 15th of January, 1870, but in the fall of 1872 the family removed from
that state to Montana. His father, Frank P. Hemen, was a native of Belgium and in his
boyhood daj's came to the new world. He served as a soldier of the Civil war, defending
the interests of the Union during the period of active hostility between the north and the
south. As stated, he left Eau Claire, Wisconsin, in the fall of 1872 and removed to Mon-
tana, where he continued his residence until he came to Seattle several years later. His
wife, Leanna M. Hemen, was a native of West Virginia and her grandfather was a soldier
of the Revolutionary war.

Frank J. Hemen, brought to Seattle in his boyhood days, continued his education in
the old Central high school at Seventh and Madison streets and completed his studies in
the old University of Washington, from which he was graduated in the class of 1888. In
early manhood he became a bookkeeper for A. B. Stewart & Company, remaining with
that firm until it was consolidated with the business of H. E. Holmes, forming tlic Stewart
& Holmes Drug Company. He then secured employment as day clerk at the old Occidental
Hotel, where he remained until the great fire of 1889. He was a member of the fire depart-
ment of Seattle at that time, belonging to Hook and Ladder Company No. I, which, was a
volunteer organization. Following the fire he became connected with the Kline & Rosen-
berg Company, with whom he continued for four years, at the end of which time he accepted
a position with the county, making up tax judgment rolls covering delinquent taxes of King
county from 1870 until 1892. He next engaged with the Metropolitan Printing Company
upon its organization in the fall of 1896 and continued with that business until February,
1898, when, attracted by the discovery of gold in Alaska, he went north w-ith the big rush
to Uawson and took a position on the Klondyke Nugget as business manager. He remained
with that paper until 1903, at which time it was sold. Mr. Hemen continued in Dawson for
a year longer closing up the business affairs of the company, and then returned to Seattle.

In the spring of 1905 he organized the Globe Realty Company, of which he became
manager, and still retains that connection. He has been active in building up a big busi-
ness for the company and is one of the well known representatives of realty transactions
in this city. Mr. Hemen knows every phase of Seattle's development and progress through
several decades, having been a resident of this city when the first street car system was
built, extending from Second and Yesler Way up Second avenue to Pike, where it branched
oft', taking a northerly course, not confining itself to any particular streets but following
the valley east of where West Lake is now situated. The old car barns were situated at
Second and Pike, where the Peoples Savings Bank l)uilding now stands. In those days
there was one boat for San Francisco a week and when this boat would come in sight every-
one in the town went out to meet it and when it sailed a general holiday was declared.



1014 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

The Alaskan and Olympian, belonging to the Northern Pacific, were the first two large
boats to operate between Seattle, Tacoma and Victoria and were objects of the greatest
curiosity and interest. Great rivalry existed between Seattle and Tacoma in the early days,
so that when a Seattle man went to Tacoma he was very careful not to mention the place
from which he had come, and the same precaution was followed by a Tacoma resident in
Seattle, otherwise there would be a fight. The water and tide flats extended over what
is now the business section of the city as far as where the Colman building stands. Not
only has a remarkable change occurred in the appearance, growth and material development
of Seattle, but also a strong climatic change has taken place, for in the early days in this
vicinity every winter the people could expect from two to three weeks of heavy snow with
the thermometer around zero — a condition that has not existed for years, and in those days
Thomas E. Jones had an ice house at the foot of Lake Union, where during the winter
he would saw ice from the lake to supply the town during the next summer. This seems
incredible to residents of the present day, who know the equable, balmy climate of Seattle.
Mr. Hemen is a member of the Salmon Bay Improvement Club, of which he served as
president for two years, and he is a stalwart republican in politics, giving support to the
party and its principles. He is married and makes his home in Ballard and while well
known in that part of the city his acquaintance extends all over Seattle. He has many
warm friends not only among the pioneers but also among the settlers of more recent date,
and his reminiscences of the early days, told in a most interesting manner, always hold
the close attention of his hearers.



RICHARD A. BIRD.



Restaurant life in a city which has a large tourist population is a most important
feature and in this connection Bird's Cafeteria has become one of the well known estab-
lishments of the kind in the city, its success being founded upon the business enterprise,
sagacity and close application of the proprietor, Richard A. Bird, who is a native of Cam-
den, Arkansas. He was born October 22, 1870, and acquired his education in his native
city, where he afterward became connected with the hotel business. Later he removed to
Pine Blufl:, Arkansas, where he conducted a railroad eating house, and in June, 1906, he
arrived in Seattle, where he established the first cafeteria, which was located on the roof
of a frame building on Second Midway between Spring and Seneca streets, where the new
Alaska theater now stands. An account of this and Mr. Bird's subsequent development of
his business was given in the Seattle Examiner as follows : "The place was reached by
an interesting and somewhat mysterious route — up a flight of stairs, 'round through a
crooked passage or hallway and then outdoors and around to a particular little sheltered
place on the roof, where Mr. Bird had arranged his little roof garden retreat ; and where the
patrons served themselves in much the same fashion as that followed in the modern cafe-
teria. This was in June, 1906, and the business soon outgrew these limited quarters. As a
matter of fact, it was only four months before Mr. Bird was compelled to move to larger
quarters on Third and James, where the Lyon building now stands. Then later he had the
Epier Cafeteria up to and including 1909. In September, 191 1, Bird's Cafeteria, on Union
near Third, was completed and this cafeteria was opened for business on the first of that
month. It is the most beautiful eating place in town. There are larger places, but this one is
in such artistic proportions and so exquisitely appointed in every detail. The interior is all
enameled in dainty white and, by the way, it is all painted fresh every six months. Last
week a young lady tourist from New York city, after having been entertained there, declared
it to be the 'nicest place' she was ever in, 'either in the east or west.' That is putting it
rather strongly, but this praise was entirely unsolicited ; in fact it came as a surprise to the
management and was evidently spontaneous and right from the heart of the speaker. The
cafeteria seats about two hundred and ten at one time. While dining one has the oppor-
tunity of listening to music that is all but divine, rendered by the Maxemen orchestra, a
Spanish organization, which has been retained by Mr. Bird ever since he opened this
cafeteria."



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 1015

On the 19th of February, 1896, occurred the marriage of Mr. Bird and Miss Emma
Thompson, who is also a native of Camden, Arkansas. They now have three children :
Bernard, who was born in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, September 21, 1898; Jennings, also born
in Pine Bluff, July 15, 1900; and Tom D., born in Pine Bluff March 25, 1905. All are now
attending the Seattle schools. For about a decade Mr. Bird has been a resident of Seattle
and during this period his progress in business has been continuous. He has been a close
follower of the old maxim that, honesty is the best policy. In his boyhood he was employed
by a woman who was conducting a hotel and who made "honesty and square dealing" her
slogan. Under her direction Mr. Bird learned the value of integrity and straightforward-
ness in business relations and never has .he deviated from the principles which he learned
at that period. This, combined w.th his indefatigable industry and his enterprise, has
brought to him well merited and gratifying success.



HARRY w. McDonald.



Harry W. McDonald, representing the Connecticut Mutual Insurance Company at
Seattle, was born in Spencer, Iowa, June 21, 1871, a son of William and Jane Elizabeth
(Thompson) McDonald, both of whom were natives of Canada and are now residents
of Ashton, Idaho. On crossing the border into the United States in 1870 the father settled
in Iowa and for thirty years was cornected with the American E.xQress Company at Web-
ster City, Iowa, as general agent. He is now living retired.

Harry W. McDonald acquired his education in the schools of Webster City and in the
Toland Business College at Ottawa, Illinois, from which he was graduated. In his boy-
hood days he started in business life by securing a situation in a bank at Webster City,
Iowa, beginning in a humble way but working his way steadily upward until he had filled
all of the positions in the institution, including that of cashier. His identification with the
bank covered thirteen years. He then removed to Minneapolis and became connected with
the land department of the Northern Pacific Railroad Company, that association being
maintained for two years. He next entered the life insurance business as a representa-
tive of the Connecticut Mutual, remaining in Spokane in that connection for two years.
In 1906 he came to Seattle to take charge of the business of the Connecticut Mutual at this
point and has since promoted a marked increase in the business, his services being entirely
satisfactory to the corporation which he represents. In fact, he has won a most creditable
place in insurance circles and under his direction the business has reached gratifying and
extensive proportions. He also owns a large fruit ranch in the Yakima valley and expects
some day in the near future to there retire and make his home.

On the 4th of November, 1894, in Webster City, Iowa, Mr. McDonald was married to
Miss Matie F. Bass, a native of that place and a daughter of William W. Bass, an old and
prominent citizen there. They have become the parents of a daughter, Frances M.,
born in Seattle, April 20, 1913. The family residence is at No. 5634 Brooklyn avenue.

In politics Mr. McDonald is a republican and fraternally he is connected with St. John's
Lodge, F. & A. M., of Seattle. He also belongs to the Plymouth Congregational church
and the nature of his interests is further indicated by his membership in the Commercial
Club. He cooperates in all of its plans and projects for the upbuilding of Seattle and the
development of its business connections and he gives his aid to all movements for the general
good.



JOSEPH LEVINSON.



Joseph Levinson is at the head of an extensive business in which he is dealing in
bakery goods, fancy groceries, teas, coffee and confectionery, having a well appointed store
with a beautiful restaurant underneath. This enterprise is being most carefully, systemati-
cally and wisely conducted and prosperity is attending his efforts. Mr. Levinson is a
native of Germany. He was born June 19, 1873, and completed a course in the gymnasium



1016 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

at the age of fourteen years. His father, David ]. Levinson, also a native of Germany,
died in Seattle in 1912 at the age of seventy-eight years, and his widow, Mrs. Marcha Levin-
son, who was also born in the fatherland, is now iiving in this city at the age of eighty
years. They came to the new world in 1905.

Joseph Levinson spent his youthful days in his native country to the age of sixteen
and then sought the opportunities offered on this side the Atlantic. He had experience in
connection with the dry goods trade in department stores, receiving a very thorough and
complete business training in almost every line of merchandising. He was employed in vari-
ous important establishments of that character throughout the middle west, including Chicago
stores, and in 1889 came to Seattle, where he entered the wholesale liquor and delica-
tessen business. After two years he removed to California, expecting to make a fortune in
the much talked of south, hut after one year returned to this city with the firm belief that
Seattle offered the greatest opportunities of any city on the coast. Here he again opened a
wholesale liquor and delicatessen establishment at No. 1209 Second avenue. An idea of the
growth and development of the city may be gleaned from the fact that when Mr. Levinson
started in business he had to pay thirty-five dollars a month rent for his present location,
for which he is now giving a rental of fifteen hundred dollars a month.

Mr. Levinson is recogrized as one of Seattle's most resourceful men and when he
saw that the state was to be voted dry, instead of spending his time in bitter complaint,
gradually changed his line of business so that he might be ready to meet changed condi-
tions. He opened one of the finest combination stores on the coast, carrying the choicest
lines of bakery goods, .fancy groceries, teas, coffees and confectionery. He also has a most
attractive restaurant in the basement underneath the store — a place which is not to be
excelled on the Pacific coast. Another business enterprise which claimed his attention was
the building and equipment of the Hotel Rector at Third avenue and Clierry street, con-
taining seventy-five rooms. The visitor entering the hotel is at once impressed with the
elegance of its furnishings and the permanency of its construction, and the hotel is very
centrally and conveniently located.

Mr. Levinson is a member of the Press Club, the Tillikums, the Add Club, the Seattle
Athletic Club and the Chamber of Commerce. In his political views he is a republican and
he holds to the religious faith of his fathers, belonging to Temple De Hirsh. He occupies
a beautiful home in one of the best residential districts of the city and he has extensive
real estate interests. Arriving in America with a very limited capital, he has amassed a
fortune in Seattle and is accounted one of its most successful business men.



VICTOR MORTON PLACE.

Victor Morton Place has been actively engaged in the practice of law in Seattle dur-
ing the past eight years and has been accorded a very extensive and gratifying clientage.
His birth occurred at New Salem, Massachusetts, on the 26th of November, 1876, his
parents being Rector J. and Katherine L. Place. His more advanced education was
acquired in Dartmouth College of Hanover, New Hampshire, which institution conferred
upon him the degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1903. In further preparation for a profes-
sional career he entered the Harvard University Law School of Cambridge, Massachusetts,
and was graduated therefrom with the class of 1906. During his college days he took a
prominent and leading part in outdoor sports, winning popular renown for his prowess on
the athletic field. He played on the football team of Dartmouth College for four years,
having been elected captain for 1902 and chosen as all-eastern tackle by several critics of
the game. He was also a member of the Dartmouth College track team and held the
college record in shot and discus for several years. During the years 1903, 1904 and 1905
he acted as coach of the Ohio Wesleyan University football team, while during 1906 and
1907 he served as coach of the University of Washington team and in 1908 coached the
football team of the LIniversity of Notre Dame. As an instructor he was very successful,
always inspiring players with the utmost enthusiasm and instilling them with the con-
fidence so necessary to victory. During the college j'ears of 1906-7 and 1907-8 he served



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 124 of 142)