Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 125 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 125 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook





^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Hk >^ ^^^^^^^H


I. ; vA«.rv)


as physical director of the University of Washington at Seattle. On the ist of December,
1908, he began the practice of law in Seattle and has here followed his profession con-
tinuously and successfully since. He prepares his cases with provident care and wide
research always characterizes his preliminary reading. His legal learning, his analytical
mind and the readiness with which he grasps the points of an argument all combine to
make him an effective advocate and safe counsellor. In 1893 Mr. Place became a member
of Company E, Second Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Militia, from which he was
honorably discharged in August, 1894.

On the 22d of September, 1909, in Vancouver, British Columbia, Mr. Place was joined
in wedlock to Miss Margaret L. Wallerius, by whom he has a daughter, Margaret, who is
two and a half years old. He gives his political allegiance to the republican party and is
identified fraternally with the Knights of Pythias, belonging to Seattle Lodge, No. 51.
His reh'gious faith is indicated by his membership in the First Presbyterian church. He is
deeply interested in all that has to do with the material and moral progress of the com-
munity and his influence has always been a potent factor in behalf of justice, truth
and right.


Nicolas Bogoiavlensky, Russian imperial consul general at Seattle, was born in Vologda
city, Russia, in February, 1869, and after attending the public schools and the gymnasium
became a student in the University of Petrograd, where he graduated on the completion
of a course in Oriental languages and in law in the class of 1892. Thus liberally educated
for important government service, he became an attache in the foreign office at Petrograd,
where he remained for a year. He was then connected with the Russian consulate in West
China, where he continued for four years, after which he became Russian consul in Man-
churia, where he continued until 1907. In that year he was made secretary in the foreign
office in Petrograd and a year later was appointed diplomatic counselor by the governor
general of East Siberia, in which connection he continued for three years. At the end of
that time he received appointment as Russian consul at Seattle and has since filled that
important position, having under his direction a secretary and assistant secretary. He is
familiar with every phase of consular service and has studied governmental affairs with a
thoroughness that well qualifies him for the onerous, responsible and delicate duties that
devolve upon him.

In April, 1897, in Petrograd, Russia, Mr. Bogoiavlensky was united in marriage to Miss
Anna Drougina by whom he has three children, two sons and a daughter. Mr. Bogoiavlensky
is a member of the Rainier Club, is an honorary member of the University Club and is a
member of the Geographic Society of Washington, D. C. His life work has been of such
a character as to render his interests most broad. He looks at life from no narrow nor
contracted standpoint but judges questions of importance in their international relation.
He has continuously been a government representative since completing his university
course and the breadth of his interests and activities makes association with him a matter
of expansion and elevation.


Joseph A. Hertogs, vice consul of Belgium at Seattle, was born April 25, 1836, in Ant-
werp, Belgium, where the family has been long and honorably known, one of his brothers
having occupied for several years, until his death, the position of burgomaster or mayor
of the city.

After attending private school, completing his education at the Royal Atheneum, he
became at the age of sixteen and a half years an apprentice in one of the importing and
exporting houses of his native city. Three and a half years later, at the age of twenty,
desirous of extending his knowledge and to see other countries, he went to Liverpool,


England, where during his three years' stay he found employment as bookkeeper and cor-
respondent with an exporting concern. Later he spent similarly several years in London,
until the "wanderlust" brought him to the United States.

Landing at New York, he went as far as Minneapolis, Minnesota, and for sixteen years
was connected as head bookkeeper and accountant with the New England Furniture &
Carpet Company, one of the leading concerns of that city. Finding the climate of Minne-
sota too severe, as years crept on, Mr. Hertogs decided to resign his position in order to
come to this golden northwest, with its more equable climate, and for the last thirteen
years has been a resident of Seattle, with the exception of about eight or nine months spent
abroad some six years ago, when he visited, after an absence of about thirty-five years,
the home of his youth, spending some time in England and other continental countries.
On his return from Europe, he entered the office of the city treasurer as accountant, under
Ed. L. Terry, where he has been ever since.

Mr. Hertogs' family consists of eight children, two sons married, having their homes
in Minneapolis ; one married daughter residing in Newcastle-on-Tyne, England ; and the
remaining members being old residents of Seattle.

Air. Hertogs is a devoted pro-Seattleite, comparing the future of this port with the
conditions of his native city as they were before the outbreak of the present war, and hopes
to see the day when close commercial relations will be established between Seattle and
Antwerp. When peace has once more been concluded on a firm basis, his efforts will be
directed toward the accomplishment of such a purpose.


A prominent figure in railway circles in the west is James H. O'Neill, the general
superintendent of the Great Northern Railroad, having jurisdiction over the lines west of
Troy, Montana, including those in British Columbia. This gives him direction over the
labors of five thousand employes in his division. He has had long experience in railway
work, to which he has devoted his entire life, and through the steps of an orderly pro-
gression has reached his present position of trust and responsibility.

Mr. O'Neill was born in Quebec, Ontario, Canada, May g, 1872, and while spending
his youthful days in the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Patrick O'Neill, who removed
with their family to Grand Forks, North Dakota, in 1844, he pursued his education in the
public schools there until he reached the age of fourteen years. At that time he started
out in life on his own account and has since depended upon his efiforts and resources for a
living. It seems a far cry from water boy with a track gang to the general superintendency
in the west of a great railroad company, but this Mr. O'Neill has accomplished. He was
originally employed as water boy with a track gang for the Great Northern Railroad Com-
pany, working for fifty cents a day for eight months. He was afterward employed on the
section for two years by the same company at a wage of a dollar and fifteen cents per day,
and later was made brakeman in the train service and afterward was appointed conductor,
acting in that capacity for twelve j-ears. On the expiration of that period he became con-
nected with the accounting department of the Great Northern Railroad Company at St.
Paul, occupying that position for eight months, after which he was appointed trainmaster
at Great Falls, Montana, where he remained for eighteen months, when he was made
superintendent of the Montana division at Havre, Montana, where he continued for two
years. He was then transferred to Kalispell, Montana, where he acted in the same capacity
for four years, and was next sent to the Cascade division at Everett, Washington, as super-
intendent. For seven years he remained in that position and was then transferred to
Spokane as assistant general superintendent of the western division, there continuing until
1913, when he became general superintendent of the western division with headquarters at
Seattle. He has thus advanced step by step, proving his capability and fidelity by each suc-
cessive promotion until his position is now one of large responsibility, involving the utmost
care and precision in the management of the office and the direction of the interests
connected therewith.


In October, 1907, Mr. O'Neill was married, in Seattle, to Miss Bernice McKnight and
they have two children, James D. and Margaret Jane. Mr. O'Neill belongs to the Veterans
Association of the Great Northern Railroad, his identification therewith continuing through
his boyhood days. His religious faith is that of the Catholic church and his political belief
is that of the democratic party. As the architect of his own fortunes he has builded wisely
and well.


Seiichi Takahashi, imperial Japanese consul at Seattle, was born at Nekoji, province
of Mine, Japan, December 15, 1878. After attending the public schools of that land he
continued his education in the Imperial University at Tokio, from which he was graduated
in 1900. He then became lecturer on international law for the University of Meiji at Tokio,
where he remained for two years, after which he was called to consular service, being
made vice consul at New Chwang, China, where he continued for two years. He was next
appointed vice consul general at San Francisco and after a year spent in that position
became third secretary to the Japanese embassy at Washington, D. C, where he remained
until 191 r, when he came to Seattle as imperial Japanese consul for the states of Wash-
ington and Montana, for several counties in Idaho and for the territory of Alaska. The
Japanese population under his jurisdiction includes thirty-nine hundred and fourteen women
and twelve thousand eight hundred and eight men, Seattle having one-third of that number.

In October, 1903, Mr. Takahashi was married in Tokio, Japan, to Miss Misone, and they
have five children : Atsuko and Wataru, attending the public schools ; and Tamako, Satoru
and Kimiko, at home. Mr. Takahashi belongs to the Rainier Club and he is one of the
prominent representatives of Japan who have left that beautiful kingdom to serve the
interests of their fellow countrymen in foreign lands. Liberally educated, he is a broad-
minded, cultured gentleman, whose work is of benefit not only to his native but also to
his accredited country.


B. Bernard, as the head of the American Dredge Building & Construction Company,
controls a business that was the first in the northwest to become the competitor of the
California firms that had hitherto controlled the trade in that line. Since the establishment
of this undertaking the business has grown to extensive propertions, their dredges being
now extensively used throughout Alaska and the northwest. He was born at Pottsville,
Pennsylvania, October S, 1865, and pursued his education in the schools of Bethlehem, that
state, passing through consecutive grades until graduated from the high school, after which
he pursued a special course in mechanical engineering. During the greater part of his life
he has followed mechanical engineering and the machinist's business and is thoroughly
familiar with every department of activity along that line. He was chief machinist on a
torpedo boat during the Spanish-American war and was also chief engineer on several of
the largest dredges connected with the building of the Panama canal.

In 1910 Mr. Bernard came to Seattle and organized the American Dredge Building &
Construction Company, which was incorporated in January of the following year. This
company has its offices in the Pioneer building and from the beginning its patronage has
steadily increased. Mr. Bernard is the president and general manager and moving spirit
in the undertaking and has developed an enterprise of importance and of extensive propor-
tions. Most of the building operations of the company are done at the foot of King street.
They built dredges for the Deering Dredging Company, operating on Imachuk river for the
recovery of gold. They built a double flume dredge for the American Tin Dredging Com-
pany of Montana for the recovery of both gold and tin. They built two for the American
Gold Dredging Company, both being gold and tin, and a combination gold and tin, one
for the Anglo Alaskan Dredging Company for recovering gold, operating on Sunset creek


at Teller, Alaska. They were the builders of a dredge for the Sunrise Dredging Company
of soutliwestern Alaska and they were builders of a dredge now being operated by Ernst
Brothers at Nome, Alaska, this being a beach gold dredger. They built a dredge for the
Portland Alaska Gold Dredging Company, the estimated cost of the construction of these
various dredges being from twenty-five to fifty thousand dollars each. They are now plan-
ning to build some large dredges to cost from two hundred to three hundred thousand
dollars. Before the American Dredge Building & Construction Company was established
this business was controlled entirely by California concerns, of which the American Com-
pany proved the only successful competitor. This business was incorporated by Mr.
Bernard and others and is enjoying a most satisfactory increase, while preparations are
well under way for the establishment of a large plant in Seattle for the manufacture of
dredge equipment and other lines of mining machinery. The firm is well known through-
out Alaska and the company is financially able to handle any size contracts, while their
plant permits of the prompt execution of all contracts given them. They build, install and
operate dredges for a period of thirty days in any part of the world and their output is
now very extensively used throughout Alaska. They built the only dredges shipped to
Alaska in the season of 1915 and their business is now extensive and of immense value and
importance in connection with the mining industry of the northwest.

In 1892, at Chicago, Mr. Bernard was united in marriage to Miss Nellie York, a native
of Michigan, and they have one child, Eva, who was born May 18, 1905. Mr. Bernard is a
Spanish-American war veteran, having enlisted for active service at the time of the in-
auguration of hostilities with Spain. Fraternally he is a Mason, loyal to the teachings of
the craft, which he exemplifies in his life. His political allegiance is given to the republican
party. He is today regarded as one of Seattle's most public spirited citizens and his business
is certainly an acquisition to the trade interests of the Sound country. He is a man of
determined purpose whose plans are always well defined and then carefully executed.
Notably prompt, energetic and reliable, he has a genius for devising the right thing at
the right time, joined to everyday common sense and broad technical training and experi-
ence, and upon this foundation he has built his success, his prosperity growing with the
passing years.


Warren Wentworth Perrigo was born in Salisbury, New Brunswick. April 10, 1836.
His father, Robert, was born in Maine in 1812 and moved to New Brunswick, where he
married Miss Anne Crandall. He died in 1868 at the age of fifty-six years. He had
always remained a citizen of Maine therefore all his children were citizens of the United
States and all came home and remained under the old flag their parents loved so well.

Warren W. Perrigo's maternal grandfather, Joseph Crandall, was born in Providence,
Rhode Island, and married Miss Sherman, of old New England stock. Mr. Perrigo's
paternal great-grandfather was born in France of Corsican ancestors. He married an
English woman. He fought through the American Revolution and at the close of the
war, settled in Massachusetts. His son Robert moved to Maine and married a Miss Page.
Their family consisted of two daughters and five sons, one being Robert, who was the
father of the subject of this sketch.

Mr. Perrigo was educated in the common schools of New Brunswick and later learned
the ship carpenter's trade. He enlisted as a private in Company E, Sixth Maine Volunteer
Infantry, June 18, 1861. and went through the Peninsular campaign and was at the siege
of Richmond. He fought under General Hancock in the battle of Williamsburg and was
offered promotion twice for bravery and efliciency at Yorktown and Lee's Mills. On the
loth of August. 1862. he was one of the many yellow fever skeletons who were sent north
to die, or, perchance to be nursed back to life by soup and mother's love.

He was married June 25, 1864, to Miss Laura M. Macduff, of La Grange, Maine.
Two years later they sailed from New York, by way of Cape Horn, arriving at Seattle in
the spring of 1866. Mr. Perrigo taught school in Kitsap county about two years. The
remainder of his time was put in at his trade and in logging and mill work until he moved

WAkRi:.\ \v. PKkRi(;o


to his homestead in what is now the city of Redmond, where he settled April 24, 1871,
being the first settler in that place. His wife died in Redmond. September 25, 1887, a
grand, noble woman and greatly beloved.

In 1893 Mr. Perrigo moved to Seattle where he married, April 13, 1894. Miss Caroline
T. Pennycook, whose parents were John Pennycook and Margaret Bruce Davedson, both
of Edinburgh, Scotland. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Perrigo are Laura M., Warren H.,
Kathcrine W., Theodore J., Caroline A.

Mr. Perrigo was a member of John F. Miller post. G. A. R., of Seattle, the Pioneers
Association of King county and the Patriotic Sons of America. In politics he was a
stanch republican all the way through. He was a friend of all the pioneers and with
them shared the joys and sorrows, the burdens and pleasures, incident to the times.

During the latter years of Mr. Perrigo's life he resided in Pilchuck, Snohomish
county, where he died, December 28, 1914, aged seventy-eight years. His remains were
buried in Lakeview cemetery, Seattle.

The pioneers of Washington deserve a place in history second to none. As a whole,
they were men and wonlen of a class far above the average. They were intelligent,
honest, energetic, farseeing, patriotic and brave. No commonwealth was ever built on a
more solid foundation. May their memory abide as bright and fresh as a day in June
and their example shine forth as a bright guiding star, beckoning on to higher ideals.


George T. Duncan is president of the firm of Duncan & Sons, wholesale dealers in
harness, leather and shoe findings, conducting business at No. 212 Second avenue, Seattle.
A native of western Canada, he was born September 17, 1856, and is a son of John Duncan,
who was one of the pioneers in the flour milling business in his part of Canada. He went
from the north of Scotland to Canada and built one of the first flour mills on the Welland
canal. His wife, also a native of the "land of hills and heather," passed away a brief time
prior to his death, which occurred in February, 1895. There were twelve children in the
family but only three are now living.

George T. Duncan, the youngest now living, was educated in the public schools of his
native town and started upon his business career as an apprentice to the saddlery trade at
the early age of fifteen years. He served for a term of four years and then embarked in
business on his own account, opening a shop at Baltimore, Ontario. After a short time,
however, he removed to Huntsville, in northern Ontario, and still later lived at ditTerent
periods in Winnipeg, Brandon and Calgary. His residence in the last three places covered
about seven years, during which he continued business along the line of his trade, his
removals being made from point to point upon the frontier. In 1887 he came to the then
territory of Washington and first settled at Tacoma. A little while later, however, he decided
that Seattle oiifered exceptional opportunities for business and accordingly came to this city,
where he entered into a partnership under the style of the Holoway & Duncan Harness
Company on Yesler Way. Some time later he disposed of his interest in that business
and about 1899 formed a partnership with his son, John A. Duncan. They were afterward
joined by another son and established business at Marion and Western avenue, where they
remained for several years. They then sought and secured larger quarters at No. 546 First
avenue South, and in 1913 they bought out the wholesale stock of the Seattle Saddlery
Company at No. 212 Second avenue South. Their two interests were then consolidated
at their present place of business, where they occupy a four story building sixty by one
hundred and twenty feet, making a floor space of thirty-two thousand four hundred square
feet, occupied as stock and factory rooms. The firm conducts a large wholesale business
covering the states of Washington, Idaho, Oregon and Montana, and they employ four
traveling salesmen. They carry leather goods of all kinds in the saddlery, harness and
shoe finding trades and theirs is one of tlie largest wholesale enterprises of this kind on
the coast. Their business is most carefully and systematically conducted so that there is
Vol. Ill— 45


no possibility of loss at any point, and enterprise and industry are winning for them
substantial and growing success.

Mr. Duncan was married at the early age of nineteen years, in Baltimore, Canada, to
Miss Hattie Irish, a daughter of W. B. Irish, of that place, where he was engaged in mer-
chandising. He is now living retired in Orillia, Canada. Mr. and Mrs. Duncan have nine
children living: John, who is active manager of the business of the firm of Duncan &
Sons ; James L., a salesman for the firm ; George T., Jr., who is a traveling salesman for
the house ; Charles W., who is one of the managers of the Foster-Klizer Advertising Com-
pany and whose headquarters are in San Francisco; Mel. W., who is treasurer of the firm
of Duncan & Sons ; Dalton, a salesman in the shoe department ; Frank, who is now located
with his brother Charles in San Francisco and who is an athlete and the champion wrestler
of the Seattle Athletic Club ; Richard, eighteen years of age, attending the Lincoln high
school; and Hattie, the wife of Rouel Marshall, a marine engineer of Seattle.

Mr. Duncan has been an active business man in Seattle for over a quarter of a cen-
tury and is one of the pioneers in his line on the Pacific coast. He is widely and favorably
known and has merited a good patronage on account of his efficiency in the work of the
trade and his integrity and straightforward dealing. In politics he is liberal, voting for the
man rather than for the party. He has never sought political preferment, feeling that his
business affairs make ample demand upon his time and energies. His thorough early train-
ing in the line of his trade and the enterprise and diligence that he has subsequently displayed
have constituted the salient features in his growing prosperity, whereby he has become
recognized as one of the substantial residents of Seattle.


When a 30uth of fourteen years Henry Sutter, leaving home, started upon an expedi-
tion westward bound. This was long before the era of railroad building across the plains
and mountains of the west and the trip involved many hardships and privations as well as
dangers. From that period forward through many years Mr. Sutter was closely identified
with the pioneer experiences which marked the planting of civilization in much of the great
western country from the north to the south. He was born August 25, 1850, at Trenton,
New Jersey, of the marriage of Joseph and Elizabeth Sutter. His father, who was suc-
cessfully engaged in the iron trade, died in Denver, Colorado, in 1897, having for two
years survived his wife, who passed away in 1895. Their family numbered six children,
four of whom are deceased, the others being Henry and Mary, the latter the wife of
Steven Wirtz, a resident of Denver.

Henry Sutter pursued his education in the public schools of Indianapolis, Indiana, to
the age of fourteen years, when he obtained the consent of his parents to accompany John
Sullivan and his family, Mr. Neville and his family and Mr. Reed and his family on a trip
to the west. With a caravan of ox teams they proceeded from Minneapolis, Minnesota, in
May and arrived at Helena, Montana, in the late fall of that year after meeting with many

Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 125 of 142)