Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 127 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 127 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


he believes its chance for further development is still great.



FRANCIS H. BROWN, M. D.

Dr. Francis H. Brown, physician and surgeon of Seattle, was born at Westside, Iowa,
April 19, 1875, a son of Oscar N. and Charlotte (O'Brien) Brown. After attending the
public schools he continued his education in the Upper Iowa University at Fayette until he
reached the age of twenty years, when he went upon the road as a traveling salesman,
handling specialties for men's furnishing goods stores. He was thus employed until he
reached the age of twenty-four, when he made his way to Iowa City, Iowa, and matricu-
lated as a student in the medical department of the State University. Two years later he
made his way to Los Angeles, California, and there attended the medical department of the
University of California, from which he was graduated with the class of 1904. For a year
thereafter he served as interne of the Sisters Hospital and then went to Baltimore, Mary-
land, taking post graduate work in Johns Hopkins University Hospital for six months.
In Chicago he served for six months as interne in the Chicago Lying-in Hospital, after
which he pursued a six months' course in post graduate work at the Chicago Post Grad-
uate Hospital, taking special courses in surgery and pathology. Later he removed to
Washington, establishing an office at Riverton, where he continued in the active practice
of medicine for three years. Since that time he has been in Seattle, with offices in the
Lumber Exchange building. This is preeminently an age of specialization. Few men
endeavor to continue practice along all lines but concentrate their energies more largely
upon a special field and Dr. Brown is giving much of his attention to obstetrics, in which
work he has gained marked skill.

Dr. Brown is a Mason, having taken the degrees of the York Rite and of the Mystic
Shrine. He also belongs to the Elks and the Odd Fellows and to other lodges and clubs.
He is a member of the Commercial Club and is interested in all that pertains to its prog-
ress and improvement. In politics he is a republican. Along strictly professional lines
he is a member of the King County Medical Society and the State Medical Association and
the American Medical Association, and through the proceedings of those bodies and also
through wide reading he keeps abreast with the advanced thought and improved scientific
methods of the day.



BROWN & HULEN.



Brown and Hulen, of the firm of Brown & Hulen, of Seattle, are proprietors of the
finest billiard parlor in the United States. They established their business in July, 1908,
opening a billiard parlor in the Arcade building and also another at the corner of Third
and Madison streets. In April, 1911, however, they disposed of both establishments and
leased the entire third floor in the Baillargeon building at Second and Spring streets, spend-
ing fifty thousand dollars in furnishings and equipment. The entire floor is covered with
a soft and beautiful carpet and the room is exquisitely decorated. There is an indirect
lighting system and everything has been done to promote the comfort and pleasure of
the patrons. Thirty-four tables are provided for the play and the general appearance of
the room and of the class of people to whom they cater reminds one of a very exclusive




DR. FRAXCIS H. BROWN



.\.^



-■/ .tl>i»'i^-'*l



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 1037

club room. It is a generally accepted fact throughout the country that the billiard parlor
of Brown & Hulen is the finest in the United States.

William H, Brown, the senior partner, was born in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, February 4,
1868, a son of David Brown. He attended the public schools, passing through consecutive
grades until graduated from the high school at the age of twenty years. He then came to
Seattle and was connected with various lines of business for five years, after which he
removed to Skagit county, Washington, where he engaged in prospecting for coal. He
afterward became interested in the Day Creek Coal Company, with which he was con-
nected until 1907, when he sold out and came to Seattle. In July, 1908, he formed a
partnership with C. O. Hulen, under the present firm style of Brown & Hulen. and estab-
lished the billiard parlor which they have since conducted.

In 1890 Mr. Brown was united in marriage at Port Townsend, Washington, to Miss
Cora E. Smith, and they have one child, Margaret, who is attending high school and has
made a notable athletic record. Mr. Brown belongs to the Seattle Athletic Club, to the
Tillikums, to the Chamber of Commerce, to the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks,
the Woodmen of the World, and the Moose. He takes great interest in fishing and hunt-
ing and enjoys all outdoor sports, in many of which he is very proficient.

Charles O. Hulen, the junior partner of the firm of Brown & Hulen, was born in
Falun, Sweden, on the 12th of March, 1881, a son of Louis John Hulen, who was also a
native of Sweden, and was reared and educated there. He afterward engaged in mer-
chandising and was the owner of a hotel until 1888, when he disposed of his interest in
that business and came to the United States, making his way to Seattle, where he lived
retired. He was one of the first to build a home on Queen Anne Hill, which is now one
of the most beautiful residence districts of the city. He died in the year 189.^.

His son, Charles O. Hulen, attended the public schools of Sweden until 1888, when,
at the age of seven years he accompanied his parents on their emigration to the new
world. The family home being established in Seattle, he here attended school and later
became a student in Ross Seminary. Starting in the business world, he was apprenticed
as a cutter in a Washington shoe factory, with which he was connected for a year. He
afterward acted as manager for several billiard parlors and so continued until July, 1908,
when he entered into partnership with- ilr. Brown and has since conducted a profitalile busi-
ness in that connection.

In May, 1903, Mr. Hulen was married in Seattle to Miss Lucy Beatrice Ellsworth,
and they have two children, Helen Irene and Kenneth Shirley. Mr. Hulen is promi-
nently known in connection with club and social life. He holds membership with the
Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, with the Tillikums. with the Rotary Club, the Seattle
Athletic Club, of which he is a director, the Seattle Yaclit Club, and the Young Men's
Business Club. He greatly enjoys all manly sports, athletics and the various phases of
outdoor life which contribute to enjoyment, and he has social qualities which render him
popular. Both Mr. Brown and Mr. Hulen are representative and progressive business
men and their constant progress has brought them to the front in connection with the
business that they now conduct, while the beauty and equipment of their establishment has
made their names known throughout the country.



ALBERT A. SCHRAM.



Albert A. Schram, president of the Manufacturers Distributing Company of Seattle,
was born in Columbus, Nebraska, May 6, 1873. His father, Michael Schram, a native of
Ohio, died in 1886, at the age of thirty-nine years, while his mother, Mrs. Catherine Schram,
a native of Germany, is now living in Columbus, Nebraska.

In the schools of his native state, Albert A. Schram pursued his education, and in
1896, when twenty-three years of age, came to Seattle, since which time he has been
connected with business interests of this city. He first engaged with the John Schram
Company, a wholesale plumbing, heating and sheet metal supply house. He continued with
that company for five years and then entered mercantile circles in connection with W. H.



1038 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

Gordon, handling hardware and mill supplies in Ballard until 1912. At that time he
became an active factor in the management of the Manufacturers Distributing Company,
in which he has owned stock and of which he has been the president since 1908. He is
now concentrating his energies upon the development of this business. This company
started out by handling and distributing stoves and accessories exclusively, but since
January, 1915, they have handled a complete line of house furnishings, doing a jobbing
business only, their territory extending over Washington, Oregon, Idaho, British Columbia
and Alaska. They carry a full line of eastern and local manufacture and their business
is steadily growing. Mr. Schram remains as head of the company, with Mrs. Violet Ware
as vice-president and A. J. Ware as secretary, treasurer and manager.

In his political views Mr. Schram is non-partisan, voting according to the dictates
of his judgment and the capability of the candidate. The enterprise with which he is
now connected is enjoying a substantial growth and his close application and far-sighted
business policy are features in its success.



A. J. WARE.



A. J. Ware is the secretary and manager of the Manufacturers Distributing Company
of Seattle, and in this connection is active in controlling the business that is developing
steadily even at this period when all trade seems in a measure crippled by conditions
brought on by the European war.

Mr. Ware was born at St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada, October 28, 1879, son of .Mfred
and Sarah Ware. His father, a native of London, England, is. now living in Cashmere,
Washington, at the age of sixty-seven years, while the mother was born in England on the
21 St of June, 1853. The son pursued his education in the public schools of Seattle, supple-
mented by a course in a business college of this city, and in the school of experience
he has learned many valuable lessons. He came to Seattle in 1897. After pursuing his
business course he became associated with the John Schram Company as bookkeeper and
remained with that house for five years, or until they .sold out to Crane & Company.
Mr. Ware became connected with the latter firm in 1902 and remained with them until
1907, when he purchased a half interest in the Schram Hardware Company. The fol-
lowing year they changed the name to the Manufacturers Distributing Company, under
which they are now operating. They continued to do a jobbing business in hardware
alone until 191 5, when they added a stock of house furnishings and in that connection
they are building up a large and gratifying trade.

Mr. Ware wedded Violet E. Cole, a native of Fargo, North Dakota, and they have
three children: Alice Elhra, born in Seattle, September 4. 1907; Alfred Harrington, born
in Seattle, June 7, 1909 ; and Helen Loraine, born February 7, 1914. Mr. Ware is a member
of Elks Lodge, No. 92, at Seattle, and is a trustee of Ballard Lodge, No. 827, B. P. O. E.,
and of the Royal Arcanum. He gives his political allegiance to the republican party, but
where no issue is involved casts an independent ballot and at local elections supports
the candidates whom he regards best qualified for office. He has lived in Seattle practi-
cally all the time since he was five years of age and is thoroughly imbued with the pro-
gressive spirit of the northwest, a spirit that has wrought for advancement and upbuilding
until the Puget Sound country rivals in all its business acitivities and its opportunities
the older east.



SYDNEY MARSHALL MERRIHEW.

Sydney Marshall Merrihew, a photographer of Seattle, was born November 6, 1890, in
Brooklyn, New York, a son of Joseph Reynolds and Martha (Chase) Merrihew. His
early educational training was received in the Moses Brown school, a Friends' school of
Providence, Rhode Island, from which he was graduated in 1909. He also attended the



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 1039

Broadway high school at Seattle, Washington, and completed his education there by gradu-
ation in igio. He entered business circles as a salesman in a wholesale house and took up
photographic work while with the Owl Drug Company of the Pacific coast. He found this
interesting and congenial and has since concentrated his energies upon the art, now con-
ducting one of the well equipped photographic studios of Seattle, in which he is accorded
a liberal patronage.

On the 6th of July. 1914, at Seattle, \\'ashington, Mr. Merrihew was united in marriage
to Miss Hazel Bushnell James, her parents being Eli Emor and Sarah Bushnell James, the
former a member of the firm of James & Bushnell, photographers. Mr. Merrihew's military
training covered one semester of cadet drill at the University of Washington. He is iden-
tified with the Seattle Commercial Club and is interested in all of those forces which are
utilized by the club for the benefit and upbuilding of the city.



SAMUEL L. SHUFFLETON.

In engineering circles in the northwest the name of Samuel L. Shuflleton has become
well known, for his business connection is that of manager of the Stone & Webster Engi-
neering Corporation of Boston, for all work done by that corporation west of the Missis-
sippi river. They do general designing and construction work, their building construction
including industrial plants, ofiice and educational buildings, power stations, warehouses
and railways. Mr. Shuffleton has been identified with this company since 1890, the year
of his arrival in Seattle. He was then a young man of about twenty-si.x years, his birth
having occurred in Shasta county, California, in April, 1864, his parents being Charles Dud-
ley and Mary Shuffleton. The father was born at Hoosick Falls, New York, and in his
boyhood days accompanied his parents on their removal to Fairfield, Iowa, where he was
educated. Later he engaged in business as a printer and publisher, continuing active along
that line until 1852, when he crossed the plains to California, attracted by the discovery of
gold on the Pacific slope. He settled in Shasta county, California, where he engaged in
mining but later turned his attention to farming, continuing active as an agriculturist until
the time of his death, which occurred in 191 1.

Samuel L. Shuffleton, reared in his native state, was a pupil in the public and high
schools of Eureka, California, until graduated with the class of 1878. He then studied civil
engineering and entered upon the practice of that profession in Eureka, where he remained
until 1890, when he came to Seattle and engaged with Stone & Webster, civil engineers,
b}' wlioni he was employed until they incorporated as the Stone & Webster Engineering
Corporation, with head offices in Boston and branch offices throughout the United States.
Mr. Shuffleton was made manager of their business for all of the territory west of the
Mississippi and in this connection controls extensive engineering and building operations.
To him as western njanager was accorded the task of designing and constructing the Big
Creek initial development in 1914, a project costing upward of twelve million dollars and
promoted by tlic Pacific Light & Power Corporation of Los Angeles, including four dams,
two tunnels, two power houses, two two hundred and forty mile transmission lines, a sub-
station and fifty-six miles of railroad. The Stone & Webster Company have been builders
of three office buildings for the Metropolitan Building Company in Seattle, Washington ;
office buildings for the Seattle Electric Company and The Yukon Investment Com-
pany in Seattle : a theatre for Messrs. Klaw, Erlanger and Frohman in Seattle ; office
buildings for Theodore B. Wilcox and the College Endowment Association in Portland,
Oregon ; a hotel for the Hamilton Hotel Company, Limited, of Hamilton, Ontario ; a fac-
tory for the Standard Oil Cloth Company of Buchanan, New York : shop buildings for
the General Electric Company of Schenectady, New York : flouring mills for the Fisher
Flouring Mills Company of Seattle: a storage w-arehouse for the Pacific Storage Ware-
house Company of Seattle ; a tobacco factory for the Bagley Land Company, Limited, of
Detroit, Michigan ; a service plant for the Edison Electric Illuminating Company of Bos-
ton, Massachusetts; a hydro-electric power station for the Mississippi River Power Com-
pany of Keokuk, Iowa : educational buildings for the Massachusetts Institute of Technology



1040 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

at Cambridge, Massachusetts ; a hydro-electric power station for the Pacific Light & Power
Corporation at Big Creek, California; and a storage warehouse for the Midland Warehouse
& Transfer Company at Chicago, Illinois. The Stone & Webster Company also designed
and constructed for the Puget Sound Traction, Light & Power Company, the White River
Power Development, which covers fourteen miles of territory, including nineteen dams
and enibankments ; seven miles of storage basins ; five miles of canals, one million, six hun-
dred thousand yards of excavations, the deepest cut being ninety feet; waterways, tunnels
and penstocks to convey water to produce one hundred and twenty thousand horse power ;
a reinforced concrete power house, two hundred and four by eighty-two feet and fifty
feet in height; seventeen and one-half miles of construction track; a permanent standard
gauge railway; flumes, canal linings and trestles. The construction equipment consisted
of fourteen locomotives, one hundred and thirty ballast and dump cars, six steam shovels,
twenty logging and hoisting engines, a seventy thousand foot sawmill, pile drivers, road
rollers, Bagley scrapers, slip scrapers, well drilling machines, motors up to one hundred
and fifty horse power, etc. The construction forces averaged one thousand men in seven-
teen camps and the time of construction, from the beginning of field work until the com-
mercial operation of the plant, was twenty months. All this work indicates the immense
volume of business conducted by the Stone & Webster Engineering Corporation, and as
manager for all the territory west of the Mississippi Mr. Shuffleton ranks with the fore-
most business men of the Pacific coast country. He is thoroughly acquainted with every
phase of engineering problems, which qualifies him for the direction of mammoth under-
takings.

In September, 1897, i" Seattle, Mr. Shuffleton was united in marriage to Miss Anna
Kurtz. He belongs to the Rainier Club and also to the California Club of Los Angeles.
Mr. Shuffleton has always resided upon the western coast, finding in its business condi-
tions the broad opportunities which have given scope to his energy and ambition — his domi-
nant qualities — and with his increasing powers he has steadily advanced until he has few
rivals in the field of engineering construction.



FRANK J, SEXTON.



Frank J. Sexton, president of the Eversole Optical Company, is a native son of Seattle,
in which city he has spent the greater part of his life. He was born August 12. 1886, his
parents being John and Ellen Sexton, both natives of Ireland, who came to the new world
and established their home in Seattle in 1876.

Frank J. Sexton at an early age became a pupil in the public schools of Seattle and
after mastering the branches of learning therein taught attended the Seattle College until
1903. He started in the business world as an employe of the Pacific Optical Company for
two j'ears. At the expiration of that period he became assistant to Dr. Stillson, a well
known oculist, with whom he continued for one year, after which he removed to Oakland,
California, and entered the employ of the Chinn Beretta Optical Company. A year later he
returned to Seattle, again engaging himself with the Pacific Optical Company as shop fore-
man, continuing in that capacity for two years. He then accepted a position with Woodard
Clarke Optical Company, of Portland. Oregon, so as to continue his study of the optical
profession. Returning to Seattle he became associated with Seattle Optical Company, as
optometrist until March 10, 1912, when, having successfully passed the state examinations in
optometry, he bought out the business of the Eversole Optical Company, which he is now
successfully conducting. This business was established by H. Clay Eversole at First avenue
and Cherry street in i88g and was later moved to 704 Second avenue. Its founder con-
tinued in active connection with the business until his death when he was succeeded in the
office of president of the company by Mr. Sexton. On the 20th of March, 1915, he removed
to 215 Madison street where he is conducting a general optical business, both examining
the eyes for glasses and making them in the shop in connection. He has secured a liberal
patronage and his work has been most gratifying to those for whom he has fitted glasses.




FRAXK I. SEXTOX



•lii.^ -



w - -



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 1043

He thoroughly understands all the scientific principles of the work, makes the most exact
niathematica:l calculations and is acquainted with every practical phase of the business.

On the 4th of July, 191 1, Mr. Sexton was united in marriage in Seattle, to Miss Helen
Walsh and they have become the parents of three children, Francis, Eleanor and Helen.
Mr. Sexton belongs to the Knights of Columbus and he has a wide acquaintance in Seattle
where almost his entire life has been passed, and that his record has ever been a creditable
one is indicated in the fact that many of his stanchest friends are those who have known
him from his boyhood to the present. He has won success in business through close appli-
cation and indefatigable efl:'ort and his efficiency is bringing to him a continually increasing
patronage.



WALTER BIRXEV NETTLETOX.

Walter Birney Nettleton, treasurer of the firm of Schwager & Nettleton, Incorporated,
owns and controls important timber and lumber interests in Seattle and the northwest.
Minneapolis claims him as a native son, his birth having there occurred on the nth of
February, 1878, his parents being Philander Birney and Julia (Baird) Nettleton. He attended
the Minneapolis public schools and continued his studies in the University of Minnesota
and at his initial step in the business world became connected with lumber manufacturing.
On the 1st of July, 1901, he established a business at Seattle under the firm name of Schwager
& Nettleton, Incorporated, and has since so continued. They built the Schwager-Nettleton
mills, which are in successful operation, and acquired an interest in the Riverside Lumber
Company, conducting a logging business. He is thus closely connected with the develop-
ment of the lumber interests of the northwest, his work covering the period from the
time when the trees are cut in the forest until the lumber is placed as a finished product
upon the market.

On the 4th of Fel)ruary, 1908, at Minneapolis, Minnesota, Mr. Nettleton was married
to Miss Emma Hancock Carpenter, a daughter of .^delbert Carpenter, and they have three
children, Jane, Ruth and Mary.

At the time of the Spanish-American war Mr. Nettleton responded to the country's
calls for troops, being then a young man of twenty years, and served as sergeant of Com-
pany L, of the Fifteenth Minnesota Regiment. His political indorsement is always given
to the republican party, but the exercise of his right of franchise and his broad reading
along the points at issue constitute his activity in political affairs. He is a Mason, true
to the teachings of the craft, and he belongs to the University, the Rainier, the College and
the Seattle Golf Clubs, all of Seattle. His advancement has been shadowed forth between
the lines of this review. Liberal educational training quickened his mental powers, ambi-
tion stimulated his activity, and opportunity has ever been to him a call to arms. In the
field of business, tlierefore, he has won many victories and his interests are now large
and profitable.



FRANK B. LAZIER.



Frank B. Lazier, of Seattle, is a native of Belleville, Ontario. Canada, and a son of
Nicholas W. Lazier. He attended the public schools to the age of twelve years and then
went to Montreal, Canada, where he remained for a year, working in a printing office. Later
he removed to Ottawa, Canada, and engaged in operating a department of the government
printing office for two years. Subsequently he returned to Belleville, Canada, where he
attended Albert University for a year, his previous experience in business bringing him to
a recognition of the value of education as a preparation for life's practical and responsible

duties.

Mr. Lazier then came to the United States, his destination being Detroit, Michigan,
where he worked as a printer for three years. On the expiration of that period he went
to Duluth, Minnesota, and through the succeeding three years occupied the position of



1044 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

general manager with the Lake Superior Steamship Company. He next formed a partner-



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 127 of 142)