Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 128 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 128 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

ship with Alexander McDougall, of Duluth, who was the builder of the first steel whale-
back steamship. Their partnership continued until 1889, when Mr. McDougall took charge
of a shipbuilding plant at West Superior, Wisconsin, Mr. Lazier continuing in the general
transportation and brokerage business under the firm name of Rose & Lazier until 1896.
In that year he went upon the road as a traveling representative of an insurance company,
with which he continued until 1900, when he went to Alaska, devoting his attention to
mining at Nome and also assisting in publishing a newspaper, the Nome Chronicle, until
1902. That j'ear witnessed his arrival in Seattle, at which date he became connected with
the Pacific Coast Steamship Company as passenger agent. He so continued until 1909 and
was then made city passenger and ticket agent for the Pacific Alaska Navigation Company.
He remained with that company until February, 1916, carefully guarding, at all times, its
interests, and proving himself a courteous and obliging ofticial. He then retired from the
transportation business to take charge of the affairs of Nile Temple of the Alystic Shrine,
of which he is past potentate. His business experience has been broad and he has learned
many valuable lessons in these different connections.

Mr. Lazier votes with the republican party and has ever been a close student of political
conditions and questions. His religious belief is that of the Protestants. He belongs to the
Commercial Club and is in sympathy with its plans and projects for extending the trade
relations and upholding the civic interests of the city. Li Masonry he is very prominent,
having taken the degrees of the York and Scottish Rites and the Shrine, his life exemplify-
ing the beneficent spirit of the order, which is based upon a recognition of the brotherhood
of mankind.


Dr. Luis A. Santander, a distinguished author now acting as consul for Chile and
Venezuela in the state of Washington, with headquarters in the Hoge building at Seattle,
was born in Santiago, Chile, December 24, 1878, a son of Francisco and Guadalupe (Ruiz)
Santander. He attended private schools and seminaries in his native city until he reached
the age of seventeen years, when he matriculated in the University of Chile and was
graduated from the law department at the age of twenty-one. He then became attorney
for the city waterworks of Santiago and while thus employed devoted his mornings to the
Institute de Humanidales as professor of ancient, modern and contemporaneous history.
He was also a member of the examiners' commission of law at the University of Chile. He
was thus engaged until 1910, during w^iich time he wrote several books. He is recognized
throughout his native country as an authority upon various subjects, especially history,
and ranks in Chile among the leading historians who have prepared Latin-American text-
books. The works of his pen are now being used in universities throughout South Amer-
ica. Senor Santander is the author of two histories which are widely used as textbooks
and as works of reference and during his connection with the Institute de Humanidales
he was recognized as an authority upon many historical points. His works which are now
in most general use are Historia Antiqua de los Pueblos Orientales (Ancient History of
the People of the East) and History of the Jewish People. The first was issued in two edi-
tions and a third has just been prepared. The History of the Jewish People has also passed
through two editions and a third is ready for the press.

Senor Santander is now preparing his third historical work, which he has called
Historia Moderna or Contemporary History. In order to get additional facts, especially
for his chapters upon the United States, Professor Santander accepted a position in the
consular service in Washington that he might have opportunity to study American condi-
tions at first hand.

He was called to public office when in 1909 he became city councilman of Santiago,
in which connection he continued until 1912, when he was appointed to the consular service
in the Argentine, where he thus represented the Chilean government for six months. At
the end of that time he received the appointment of the consulate for the State of Wash-
ington, with headquarters at Seattle, and in April, 19T5. he also became consul for Ven-


ezuela for the state of Washington. He is likewise professor of Spanish in the University
of Washington and one of the lecturers of that institution. He was sent to Washington,
D. C, on behalf of the University of Washington by its president, Dr. Henry Suzzalo, to
attend the second Scientific Congress of the Pan-American Union in December, 1915, and
January, 1916. In addition to being an authority upon historical subjects Professor San-
tander is a brilliant pianist and is a musical critic of wide experience.

He has become a member of the Chamber of Commerce of Seattle and is most deeply
interested in the northwest, not only from the standpoint of modern research and investi-
gation but also as one who feels the pulsing life of the present century and its oppor-


William Brigham Cone, who has made extensive investments in property until his
holdings now return him an excellent income, was born in Farmington, Illinois, July 2,
1847. His father, Spencer Cone, was a native of Connecticut and died in the year igoo,
at the age of eighty-five. The mother, who bore the maiden name of Julia A. Sloan, was
a native of a town bearing her name — Sloanville, New York — it having been so called in
honor of her father. Mrs. Cone passed away in 1898, at the age of eighty-four years.
Joseph C. Cone, a brother of William B. Cone, is a veteran of the Civil war, having served
with the One Hundred and Third Illinois Regiment, which w-ent to the front from Fulton
county, Illinois. He served under Generals Sherman and Logan and at the battle of Atlanta
was wounded in the leg but was disabled for only a few weeks.

In early manhood William B. Cone was united in marriage to Miss Angle Chapman, a
native of Illinois, who died in iQog at the age of fifty-six years. For his second wife he
chose Florence Curtiss, a native of Iowa, their marriage being celebrated in Seattle in

It was in October, 1886, that Mr. Cone came to Seattle, where he followed the building
business and the renting of cottages, erecting buildings which he sold on the installment
plan. He afterward became interested in the Hall & Poison Furniture Company, in which
he still remains a stockholder. This company has won notable success and at the present
time owns the Security building on First avenue South. Mr. Cone's source of income for
many years has been his investments.

He is a member of the Commercial Club and is interested in all things which are a
matter of civic virtue and civic pride. He assisted in building the second Plymouth Con-
gregational church on the old site at the corner of Third and University streets, the first
one being torn down and replaced by a much more beautiful structure. The commercial
growth of the city has caused the removal of the latter and the site is now occupied by the
beautiful new Pantagcs theatre. Mr. Cone also assisted financially and otherwise in
building the Brooklyn University Congregational church, of which he and his wife are
members. He is a representative of the highest type of American citizenship. He has
stood for everything that works for the building and improvement of the community and
which has added to its material and moral development. He manifests a quiet but great
civic pride and is thoroughly conversant with the conditions which have built up and
produced this wonderful metropolis of the northwest.


The name of Rhodes figures conspicuously with mercantile interests in the northwest
and William L. Rhodes of this review has built up an immense establishment in Seattle,
conducting a five and ten cent store under the name of Rhodes Brothers Company.

Mr. Rhodes was born on a Wisconsin farm, October i-l, 1867, a son of Joshua and
Susan E. (Stevens) Rhodes. The father, a native of England, devoted his life to farm-


ing. The mother, who was a native of Vermont, engaged in school teaching in early life.
She passed away in January, 1890, and was followed by the father in October, 1907.

The early education of William L. Rhodes was pursued in the public schools of Wis-
consin, being supplemented by a three year course at the Presbyterian University of Gales-
ville, Wisconsin. Still later he became a student in a commercial college at La Crosse, thus
qualifying for the practical duties of the business world. His residence in Washington
dates from October, 1889, at which time he went to Tacoma. There he worked for a tea
and coffee house, and in soliciting business he established the nucleus of a business of his
own. In 1892 he joined with two of his brothers, H. A. Rhodes and A. J. Rhodes, in estab-
lisliing and conducting a tea and coffee house on their own account in Tacoma. A. J.
Rhodes did not, however, take an active part in the business, as he was traveling for a
jobbing house in the capacity of salesman. He afterward took an active part in the busi-
ness. C. W. Rhodes, a younger brother, also came into the firm. At the beginning, W. L.
Rhodes solicited orders mornings, delivering them from a basket which he carried in the
afternoons, his brother H. A. Rhodes remaining in charge of the store. From that small
start was developed the magnificent Tacoma store known as Rhodes Brothers, which is
today one of the foremost commercial establishments of that city.

During February, 1898, W. L. Rhodes decided to start a new store at Dyea, Alaska,
and had a portable building made, which he shipped, together with a stock of merchandise
to Dyea, where he opened for business. At the end of six months general business depres-
sion in the town decided him to sell out and return to Tacoma, which he did, and there
decided to embark in another venture at Seattle. In February, 1900, he opened a store
in this city for the sale of tea, coffee and fine china. Later he formed the idea of con-
verting his business into a five and ten cent store, which was accomplished. His trade has
steadily increased and the undertaking has been one of gratifying success. Although he
sells at a low figure, his enterprise has proven very profitable and the volume of his trade
is indicated by the fact that he employs approximately one hundred sales people.

Three stores are now conducted by the Rhodes brothers, A. J. Rhodes having left
Tacoma in 1907 to establish a department store in Seattle, known as The Rhodes Company.
All four brothers are interested in the progress of each establishment, and are continu-
ally on the alert to advance and promote the interests of the others.

On the 2d of January, 1892, in Trempealeau, Wisconsin, W. L. Rhodes was married
to Miss Claudia L. Altenburg, a daughter of John and Maria Altenburg. They have two
children, Florence M. and William Joshua. Fraternally Mr. Rhodes is connected with the
Woodmen of the World and he finds pleasant association through his membership in the
Arctic Club and the Earlington Golf Club. He is a charter member as well as a life mem-
ber of the Commercial Club, and is interested in its well defined plans and purposes for
the improvement and upbuilding of the city. He has a military record covering three years'
service in the state militia, having been a charter member of Troop B at Tacoma. In poli-
tics he is independent, voting for men and measures rather than party, and he prefers to
devote his entire attention to his business affairs. He has in large measure the commer-
cial sense — the ready adaptability which enables him to recognize the demands of the
trade and the wishes of his patrons. Gradually he has worked his way upward, founding
his success upon enterprise, diligence and determination, and his rewards are now sub-


A native of New England, Thomas J. King has resided on the Pacific coast since
1870, and is today numbered among the prominent and prosperous shipbuilders of the
northwest, conducting business at Seattle as senior partner of the firm of King & Winge.
He was born in Boston, Massaschusetts, in April, 1847, a son of Philip and Nellie King.
The father was born in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1815, was there educated and later
followed shipbuilding, continuing in the business in the east until 1862, when he made
his way to the Pacific coast, settling at San Francisco, where he was employed as a ship-
builder in the United States navy yard until 1866. In that year he returned to Charles-


-—rTV; \;-'



town, Massachusetts, where he secured a position in the navy yard, but in 1872 returned
to San Francisco, where he followed his trade until 1874. In that year he made his way
to Ludlow, Washington, where he was connected with shipbuilding until 1882, when he
removed to Port Blakeley, Washington, where he was similarly engaged until 1902 or for a
period of twenty years. At that date he came to Seattle, where he lived retired until
his death, which occurred in 1907.

Thomas J. King is indebted to the public schools for the educational privileges he
enjoyed. He pursued his studies to the age of fifteen years and then entered the employ
of Donald & McKay, shipbuilders of Boston, spending the succeeding five years in learning
the trade and becoming an expert workman. At the age of twenty years he went to Bath,
Maine, where he was employed in ship yards until 1869, when he made his way westward
to Stockton, California. There he worked at his trade for fifteen months, after which
he proceeded to Port Blakeley and was employed by Hall Brothers, shipbuilders, for
eighteen months. On the expiration of that period he became a resident of Seattle and
occupied a position with the firm of Hammond & Mitchell, shipbuilders, until 1884, when
he became foreman in the shipbuilding yard of T. W^ Lake, with whom he continued for
fourteen years or until 1898. He then resigned and formed a partnership with Charles
Reed, under tlie firm name of Reed & King, and they engaged in shipbuilding together
for three years. At the end of that time Mr. Reed sold out and was succeeded by Albert
M. Winge, forming the present firm of King & Winge. Something of the extent of their
business is indicated in the fact that they employ from fifty to two hundred men. They
construct wooden vessels of all descriptions and have built many fine pleasure yachts.
A liberal patronage is accorded them and their business is now extensive and gratifying.

On the 24th of June. 1871, in Detroit, Michigan, Mr. King was united in marriage
to Miss Julia Carey, by whom he has five children, as follows : William, who is con-
nected with the firm of King & Winge ; Thomas, who is engaged in ranching ; James, who
is connected with the Pantorium Dye Works ; Mrs. Katharine Rutledge, of Seattle ; and
Julia, at home.

For forty-seven years Mr. King has resided upon the coast and is thoroughly identi-
fied with western interests, possessing the enterprising spirit which has been the dominant
factor in the upbuilding and development of this section of the country. His success is
undoubtedly due in part to the fact that he has always continued in the same line in which
he embarked as a young tradesman. He did not wait for a specially brilliant opening and
the capital that he brought to the starting point of his career was physical and mental
vigor. In the early days it was characteristic that he performed all the duties that devolved
upon him, however humble and however small the recompense might be, conscientiously
and industriously. As the years have gone on his strict integrity, sound judgment and
indefatigable energy have been so universally recognized that he has enjoyed public con-
fidence to an enviable degree and naturally this has brought to him a large patronage.


Orville A. Phelps, proprietor of the Rainier Valley Undertaking Company, was born
in Hopkinton, New York, August 12, 1852, a son of William S. and Laura Phelps. He
attended the public schools and the State Normal at Potsdam, New York, and when twenty
years of age returned to his native town, where he devoted the succeeding four years to
general farming. He was a young man of twenty-four when he became a resident of Lake
City, Minnesota, where he engaged in the insurance business until 1882. In that year he
located in Minneapolis, where he conducted a real estate and insurance business on his own
account until the fall of 1888, when he removed to Tacoma, Washington territory. In
February, l88g, he went to Orting and engaged in the undertaking business, which he
followed in Orting until October, 1896,. when he removed to Snohomish, where he con-
ducted an undertaking establishment for three years. On the expiration of that period
he located in Everett. Washington, where he continued in the same business until 1911,
when he came to Seattle and established the Rainier Valley Undertaking Company, of

Vol. Ill— 46


which he is the owner and manager. He has been successful in this business and has a
well appointed establishment, carrying a large line of all undertaking supplies.

On the 26th of Januarj', 1873, in Lake City, Minnesota, Mr. Phelps was united in mar-
riage to Miss Ellen J, Hewett. They have one son, Guy A., who is now forty years of age
and is a mail carrier in Seattle. He served as corporal in Company D of the Washington
volunteers at Manila.

Since 1875 Mr. Phelps has been a Mason, prominent in the work of the order. He
became a charter member of Everett Lodge, No. 137, F. & A. M., at Everett, Washington,
and is one of its past masters. He is also a past master of Valley Lodge, No. 71, at Orting,
W'ashington, which he joined on its organization, being one of its charter members. Both
he and his wife are connected with the Eastern Star and he is also past noble grand of the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, being one of the charter members of Pilgrim
Lodge, No. 187, of Everett, W'ashington. His political belief is that of the republican
party and his religious faith that of the Congregational church. Those who know him,
and he has a wide acquaintance, esteem him highly, for throughout the years of his man-
hood he has been loyal to those high principles which are inculcated by Masonry and find
their root in the teachings of the church.


Carl E. Morford, a civil engineer, who has been in the employ of the municipal govern-
ment since 1904, was born in Iowa, on the 4th of December, 1878. His father. Remembrance
Morford, is a native of Pennsylvania, and has devoted his life to farming and merchan-
dising through the period of his active connection with business affairs but is now living
retired at No. 308 Twenty-eighth street, in Seattle, at the age of eighty-two years. His
wife. Mrs. Catherine Morford, a native of Ohio, is now eighty years of age. They cele-
brated their fifty-eighth wedding anniversary on Thanksgiving day of 1915. The family
came to Seattle in 1887 and thus for twenty-eight years Remembrance Morford has been
a witness of development and growth of the city. During the early period of his residence
here he served as a member of the city council.

After completing his preliminary education in the high school of Seattle, Carl E. Mor-
ford attended the University of Washington, and during his college days took a most
active part in athletics, serving on both the track team and the football team while a student
at the university. His scholastic work was largely in the line of civil engineering and he
accepted a position with the government, spending two summers in Alaska during the time
that he was completing his university course. He afterward devoted three years to gov-
ernment service and in 1904 entered the employ of the city of Seattle, in which connection
he has since continued, covering a period of eleven years. He has had to do with impor-
tant engineering projects promoted by the city and his work is highly satisfactory to all
who know aught of his career, as is indicated by his long connection with the municipal

In 1903 Mr. Morford was united in marriage to Miss Amanda Fleischer, a native of
Wisconsin, and a daughter of Dr. H. J. Fleischer, who was also born in that state. He
came with his family to Seattle just before the great fire of 1889 and opened offices in
the Star-Boyd building. He performed the first successful operation in -tracheotomy in
Seattle and he was a charter member of the King County Medical Association. His wife,
who bore the maiden name of Hattie F. Clark, is also a native of Wisconsin, and was a
daughter of Salmon S. Clark, a surgeon in the Civil war. Their daughter, Mrs. Morford,
is a graduate of the University of Washington of the class of 1902 and during the first
year of her college course she formed the acquaintance of Mr. Morford, who sought her
hand in marriage, the wedding being celebrated in Seattle. They have become the parents
of three children: Henry James, who was born in Seattle in 1905; Richard Carl, April
21, 1910; and Jean Catherine, May 18, 1912.

During their university days Mr. Morford became a member of the Phi Delta Theta
Fraternity and Mrs. Morford of the Kappa Kappa Gamma Sorority. Both are members


of St. Mark's Episcopal church and in his political views Mr. Morford is a republican.
He has never been ambitious in the line of office holding but concentrates his energies upon
his professional duties, which are of an important character and are most capably per-


John Isaacson is the president of the firm of Isaacson & Company, owners of extensive
iron works in Seattle. He was born at Sundsvall, Sweden, June 14, 1875, a son of Carl and
Carrie Isaacson, and in his native land he attended the public schools until he reached the
age of fourteen years, after which he entered upon an apprenticeship to the blacksmith's
trade, whicli he followed to the age of seventeen years. He then came to the United States
and made his way to Missoula, Montana, where he engaged as a blacksmith with the North-
ern Pacific Railroad Company, which he thus represented for six years. He afterward
removed to Anaconda, Montana, where he followed blacksmithing in the employ of the
Amalgamated Anaconda Copper Company for six years, and on the expiration of that period
he came to Seattle, where he was employed as a blacksmith in the iron works of C. J.
Young, there continuing until 1907, when he organized the firm of Isaacson & Company
and established the iron works of which he is now proprietor. He began in a humble
way, having but one assistant, but today employs from fifteen to thirty men in the manu-
facture of logging tools. They are ship blacksmiths and also make a specialty of manu-
facturing contractors' equipment and coolers for canneries, doing the only business of this
kind in Seattle. Their output in 1914 was eight thousand coolers. They do blacksmithing
and forging for machinists, manufacturers, marine workers and contractors and among
their well known products are the Puget Sound butt chain lead blocks, Isaacson's heavy
drag scraper, Isaacson's universal tram car and many marine supplies.

In December, 1897, in Missoula, Montana, Mr. Isaacson was united in marriage to
Miss Anna Young, by whom he has six children, namely : Helen Marie, Blanche Charlotte,
Henry Frederick, John Paul, Theodore and Robert William.

Mr. Isaacson gives his political allegiance to the republican party, while his religious
faith is that of the Lutheran church. He also belongs to the Commercial Club and frater-
nally is identified with the Modern Woodmen of America. From the age of fourteen
years he has led a most busy life, basing his advancement always upon industry and per-
severance. His youth was .a period of earnest and unremitting toil and he is still a most
active business man, carefully directing important and growing interests.


The lumber industry has been one of the important sources of wealth of the north-
west and among those who have had a part in its development is Arthur H. Gould, of
Seattle, the president of the Gould Lumber Company. He was born in Maine on the 2d
of November, 1858, and is a son of Nathaniel Gould, who was also a native of the Pine

Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 128 of 142)