Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 129 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 129 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Tree state and who served in the Civil war, as did four of his brothers. He was wounded
in the hand, but otherwise escaped injury. He passed away in Minnesota when forty-two
years of age. He was married in Philadelphia and his wife, who was a native of Ireland,
died in Minnesota in 1913, when seventy-two years old.

Arthur H. Gould attended the public schools of Maine for some time, but the greater
part of his education has been gained through experience and careful observation. On
beginning his independent career he became connected with the lumber business and
remained in St. Croix, Minnesota, until 1888, when he removed to Seattle. From that
time until the present he has been connected with the northwest. Mr. Gould developed the
large mills at Startup, which were conducted under the name of the Wallace Lumber
Company, and after operating that plant for three years he sold out to Kellogg Brothers.
Subsequently he became associated with A. Nickerson and M. J. Clark and they incorpo-



1052 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

rated a company for two hundred thousand dollars and built the Mukilteo mills, which
they sold for more than a million dollars seven years later. At that time Mr. Gould retired
from active life, but in 1912 again entered the business world, organizing the Gould Lumber
Company, of which he is now the principal owner and which represents an investment of
three hundred and thirty-three thousand dollars. It cuts about one hundred and twenty-
five thousand feet of lumber a day, employs about one hundred and forty men, and
also operates a sash and door factory known as the Nudd & Taylor plant, which is about
two hundred and twenty by six hundred and fifty feet in dimensions. The Gould Lumber
Company owns the plant and grounds and its holdings place it among the important indus-
trial concerns of the Puget Sound district. Mr. Gould- also owns other mills and valuable
timber land and is financially interested in the Clark-Sleigh Lumber Company and in tug
boats in Seattle used for towing logs. Moreover, he has fifteen thousand dollars' worth
of stock in oil properties in California and four of the wells in which he is interested
are active.

Mr. Gould was married in Wisconsin in 1889 to Miss Julia Loveless. He supports the
republican party at the polls, but has never been an office seeker, preferring to concentrate
his energies upon his private affairs. He belongs to the Metropolitan Club and is popular
in that organization. He is widely known in business circles of the northwest and all
who have come in contact with him respect him for his unquestioned ability and his
unswerving integrity.



JOHN T. WHEATMAN.



Among those who contribute to Seattle's activity along manufacturing lines is John T.
Wheatman, president of the Washington Saw Company. He comes from a district famous
for its edged tools, being a native of Sheffield, England, and is a representative of one of
the oldest saw manufacturing families of England. In his boyhood days he became a resi-
dent of the new world and attended the public schools of Montreal, Canada, to which place
his parents removed when he was but six years of age. There he continued until he reached
the age of fourteen, when he returned to his native city and learned the business of making
saws, serving an apprenticeship and working at the trade until he attained his majority.
He then returned to Montreal, Canada, and entered the employ of the Robinson Saw
Company, with which he remained until 1888, when he came to Seattle and entered the
employ of the Stetson & Post Lumber Company, having charge of the saws in their mill
until 1890. In that year he became connected with the Steinson Mill Company in the same
capacity, serving there for four years, or until 1894, when he embarked in the business of
manufacturing saws, investing the capital which he had acquired through his industry and
economy. The new enterprise prospered from the beginning and in 191 1 the business was
incorporated under the name of the Washington Saw Company, with Mr. Wheatman as the
president. In July, 1913, he began the erection of their present three story building, which
is used for the purpose of manufacturing saws, and also a separate building for the furnace
and drop hammer. They manufacture all kinds of saws, employing forty men. The output
is now large and has become standard because of its excellence. Mr. Wheatman would
never consent to a sacrifice of quality to quantity and employs expert workmen for the
more difficult parts of saw manufacturing. His commendable efforts have been crowned
with a substantial measure of prosperity and the business has enjoyed a deserved growth.

On the 4th of February, 1903, in Seattle, Mr. Wheatman was joined in wedlock to Miss
Mary Shafer, by whom he has two children, Marion Rosemond and Herbert Francis, who
are ten and seven years of age respectively and are public school students.

Mr. Wheatman is well known in Masonic circles, for he has taken the various degrees
of the York and Scottish Rites and has also become a Noble of the Mystic Shrine, having
crossed the sands of the desert with the members of the temple at Seattle. He also has
membership with the Elks, the Odd Fellows and the Hoo Hoos. In his political views he
is a republican, supporting the party since becoming a naturalized American citizen, but
he does not seek to figure prominently in political circles as an office holder, his time being




lOHX r WHKA'IMAX



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 1055

fully occupied with his business affairs, which are of growing importance. He possesses
the skill which has made the city of Sheffield, England, famous for its edged tools and is
doing splendid work along his chosen line.



WILLIAM T. L.\UBE.



William T. Laube has been actively identified with the political history of city and state
through the past decade and at the same time is one of the well known members of the
Seattle bar. He was born in Brodhead, Wisconsin, September 3, 1880, and came to the
northwest in i8go. He was graduated from the Bellingham (Washington) high school, in
which he completed his course with the class of 1898. His more specifically literary course
was pursued in the University of Washington, which conferred upon him the Bachelor of
Arts degree in 1902. He continued in the State University as a law student and won his
LL. B. degree in 1904. He was associated with the firm of Peters & Powell in law practice
in Seattle until July i, 1915, at which time he became a member of the firm of Trefethen,
(jrinstead & Laube. His ability has brought him prominently to the front among the younger
representatives of the profession.

Mr. Laube has also been prominent in other connections, especially in the field of political
activity. In 1905 he was made assistant secretary of the state senate and so continued until
1907. In 1909 he became secretary and served in that capacity through 1913. In 1912 he
was chairman of the executive committee of the Young Men's Republican Club of Seattle
and in 1913 was elected its president. He was chairman of the King county central commit-
tee in 1915; served as secretary of the Seattle Bar Association in 1913-14; and in 1915 was
made a trustee of that association, his term of office extending until 1918. In almost every
organization with which he has been identified he has received official preferment. In
1903 and 1904 he was general manager of the Associated Students of the University of Wash-
ington. He belongs to the Phi Gamma Delta and Phi Beta Kappa and is a popular repre-
sentative of the Seattle Athletic and the College Clubs. Fraternally he is connected with
Arcana Lodge, No. 87, A. F. & A. M. ; Lawson Consistory, No. i ; and Nile Temple of the
Mystic Shrine.



EARLE M. VAN SLYCK.



Earle M. Van Slyck, of Seattle, secretary of the Beacon Coal Mines Company, whicli
is now developing one of the important coal properties of this section of the state, was
born in Hudson, Wisconsin, January 11, 1862, a son of Isaac Newton and Elizabeth Van
Slyck. He attended the public schools at Mount Morris, New York, until 1877, and after-
ward became a pupil in the high school at Tidioute, Pennsylvania, where he remained until
1880, when he went to Rixford, Pennsylvania, where he started out in business life as a
clerk in a drug store. He soon acquainted himself with the business and in 1882 pur-
chased the store, which he conducted with success until 1884. He was burned out in that
year and removed to Baker City, Oregon, where he was emi)loyed as clerk in a drug store
until 1885. In that year he became city clerk and police judge at Baker City, occupying
that position for two years, after which he turned his attention to mining, which he fol-
lowed in the same locality until 1897. In that year he went to Alaska, where he was
connected with the United States customs service for two years. He then turned his
attention to mining and prospecting until 1907, when he returned to the States and settled
at Grant's Pass, Oregon, where he engaged in orcharding for two years. He then sold
his orchard and removed to eastern Washington, wliere he took up a desert claim, spending
a year upon his ranch.

Later Mr. Van Slyck came to Seattle, where he engaged in the automobile business
in connection with A. L. Knouse, being active in that field until 1913, when he sold his
interest and became an active factor in promoting the Beacon Coal Mines Company, in
which he has since served as secretary and of whicli he is a stockholder. This company



1056 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

leases one thousand acres of land and the work that has already been done shows that
there are rich coal deposits underlying tlie tract. Work is being rapidly prosecuted and
already the company has reached a six-foot vein of excellent coal, while experts bear
testimony to the fact that there is also a four-foot vein and another of great thickness, its
depth being seventeen and one-half feet. The work is being rapidly carried forward and
there is every indication of large success before tlie stockholders.

In October, 1887. Mr, Van Slyck was married in Baker City, Oregon, to Miss Irene
Missick, and they have two children: Pyron, eighteen years of age, now a student in the
high school at Victorville, California; and Corinne, sixteen years of age, also attending
that school.

Mr. Van Slyck holds membership with the Knights of Pythias. His political allegiance
is given to the republican party and he keeps well infofmed on the questions and issues
of the day but does not seek nor desire office, as he concentrates his undivided attention
upon his business affairs. There is before him a most bright outlook for the future and
the industry, determination and enterprise which he has already displayed merit the pros-
perity that is before him.



JACK M. OSMOND.



Thoughout the entire period of his business career Jack M. Osmond has been identi-
fied with the Mitchell-Lewis Motor Company of Racine, Wisconsin, and is now acting as
manager for the firm at Seattle. His eft'orts have been largely instrumental in introduc-
ing tlie Mitchell cars not only in this country but in foreign lands as well, for he was
their representative abroad for a number of years. His birth occurred in the city of
Christiania, Norway, his parents being Jack M. and Marian (Nelson) Osmond, who are
also natives of the land of the midnight sun and still reside in Christiania. The father
is an extensive coal dealer of that city, importing coal from England. He is also regarded
as one of the prominent and influential men there in connection with public and political
affairs and several times has served as a member of the city council. His birth occurred
in 1838, so that he has now passed the seventy-seventh milestone on life's journey. To
him and his wife have been born four children, three of whom are daughters.

Jack M. Osmond, whose name introduces this review, was the only son and the young-
est of the family. He was educated in the public and high schools of his native city
and came to America in IQ04, after which he completed his education in a technical college
at Racine, Wisconsin, and in a technical college at Minneapolis, Minnesota, pursuing a
course in mechanical engineering. He spent two years in the study of his profession and
then entered upon his first and only position with the Mitchell-Lewis Motor Company of
Racine, although in the intervening years he has enjoyed many promotions, which he
has won through his aljility and fidelity. He began working in the shops and has advanced
through all the various departments. After spending three years in the shops he became
traveling representative for the firm, introducing and selling their cars in all parts of
the United States and Europe. He was the first representative to establish agencies for the
firm on the European continent, introducing the car in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, France
and England, traveling for the firm abroad for three years, his labors being attended with
splendid success. He was assigned to the position of manager of the Seattle branch of the
house on the ist of January, 1915. He had come to Seattle in 191 1 and was given charge
of the service department territory, which covers Seattle and the surrounding counties.

In politics Mr. Osmond is independent. He prefers to concentrate all of his attention
upon his business interests, and the plant, which is situated at 1722-24 Broadway, covers
an area sixty by one hundred and twenty feet. The Iwsiness is an important one, having
now reached extensive proportions in the northwest. Annually he puts out many cars and
he has been instrumental in introducing the Mitchell into this section of the country.
His is the record of a notably capable, enterprising and successful man and the steps in
his orderly progression are easily discernible. Early in life he recognized the fact that
industry and reliability are the basis of success and through those qualities he has gained



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 1057

advancement. No stronger proof of his worth and business integrity could be found than
the fact that throughout the entire period of his residence in the new world he has remained
with the company with which he is now connected.



THOMAS MILES VOUXG, M. D.

Dr. Thomas Aliles Young devoted practically his entire life to the practice of
medicine and surgery and won professional honors and prominence both in Minneapolis
and in Seattle. He was born October 31, 1841, in Mercer county, Pennsylvania, and died
in Seattle, July i, 1910, vvfhen in the sixty-ninth year of his age. He was a son of Robert
Buchanan and Rebecca (Miles) Young, a grandson of William and Margaret (Buchanan)
Youhl;, and a great-grandson of General James Young.

Dr. Young pursued his early education in the pulilic schools of Pennsylvania, l)ut
completed his professional training in the Chicago Homeopathic Medical College, of which
he was an alumnus. In his youthful days he learned and followed the millwright's trade
and afterward owned and operated sawmills and flour mills, but thinking to find a pro-
fessional career more congenial, he took up the study of medicine, carefully qualified for
professional duties and continued in active practice until three years prior to his death,
when he retired. He resided for a considerable period in Minneapolis and afterward
came to the northwest, settling in Seattle. In both cities he was accorded a very extensive
and important patronage, his practice being of a character that demanded the highest
professional skill. He kept in touch with the advanced and scientific methods of tlie
times and embodied in his work the most progressive ideas. In addition to his practice
he was connected with mining and milling interests.

Dr. Young was also a veteran of the Civil war. He w^as but twenty years of age
when on the 21st of September, 1861, he enlisted as a i)rivate of Company A, Fourth
Minnesota Infantry. He was promoted to the rank of sergeant July 30, 1863, and reenlisted
on the 1st of January, 1864, at which time he became first sergeant. On the 19th of April
1865, lie was commissioned second lieutenant of the same company and was mustered
out July 19, 1865.

On the 8th of May, 1866, Dr. Young was united in marriage at Belleplaine, Minnesota,
to Miss Marion Holmes, a daughter of Henry and Susannah (Weldon) Holmes and a
representative of an old Canadian family living near Pembroke, Ontario. To them were
born two sons. Robert Henry Young, a resident of Colfax, California, wedded Miss
Elma 'i'oung on the 15th of March, 1893, and has three children: Constance, Vivian and
Miles. Edward Weldon Young, living in Seattle, was married on the 14th of April, 1904,
to Miss Hazel Maydwell, by whom he has two children, Elsbeth and Janet.

In his political views Dr. Young was an earnest republican but not an aspirant for
office: in his religious connections he was a Presbyterian and fraternally was a Mason
and an Elk. He also belonged to the Grand Army of the Republic and the Loyal Legion
and served as commander of Stevens Post, No. i, G. A. R., was surgeon of the Department
of Wasliington and Alaska, and was commander of Washington Commandery of the Loyal
Legion. He held to the highest standards not only in professional connections but in
every relation of life, and his admirable qualities and personal traits of character won for
him the high and enduring regard of all with whom he came in contact.



ELEBERTUS BOLINK, M. D.

For more than a quarter of a century Dr. Elebertus Bolink has been a practicing
physician and successful pharmacist of Seattle, being the proprietor of the Phoenix Drug
Company at No. 118 Second avenue. South. His birth occurred in Deventer, Netherlands,
on the 23d of November, 1845. his parents being Peter and Adeleida (Muileman) Bolink.
In 1864, when a young man of nineteen, he was graduated from the normal school at



1058 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

Deventer and during the following two years taught in the public schools of the Nether-
lands, while from 1866 until 1871 he was a teacher in the Collegium Neerlandicum, in
Curacao, Dutch West Indies. In the year 1871 he embarked in the drug business in Minne-
sota and subsequentlj' took up the study of medicine in the Minnesota College Hospital
at Minneapolis, continuing his professional training at the Long Island College Hospital
of Brooklyn, New York, and being graduated from the latter institution in 1885. He
then located for practice in St. Paul, Minnesota, but at the end of two years came to
Seattle, Washington, and has here remained continuously since as an able and successful
representative of his chosen calling. In 1888 he also again embarked in the drug business
and in this connection has won gratifying success as proprietor of the Phoenix Drug
Company. He served as president of the Washington State Pharmaceutical Association
in 1903 and has long enjoyed an enviable reputation as a leading member of his profession.
In March, 1877, at Henderson, Minnesota, Dr. Bolink was united in marriage to Miss
Adele Goebel, by whom he has a daughter, Amy, who is now Mrs. V. L. W. Hill. The
family residence is at Madrona Park on Bainbridge Island. Twenty-seven years' observa-
tion of Dr. Bolink in the sickroom, the home, in society and the business world, has clearly
demonstrated to the citizens of Seattle that he well merits the regard and esteem which
is uniformly accorded him.



PATRICK PITTMAN CARROLL.

Patrick Pittman Carroll, a retired attorney, who for many years has been actively
identified with professional, business and public interests in Seattle, was born in Mont-
gomery county, Pennsylvania, March 17, 1844, his birthplace being the old homestead farm
of the family, near the banks of the Schuylkill river, half way between Phoenixville and
Norristown, Pennsylvania. His father, George Montgomery Carroll, who was connected
with the prominent Carroll family, of Carrollton, Maryland, was a man of great public spirit
and activity. By profession he was a civil and mining engineer, mineralogist and chemist.
He held many offices of trust and in the later '40s and early '50s was prominent in connec-
tion with the lead and copper mining of his state and was among the first discoverers of
copper and iron ore on Lake Superior, Minnesota. He was associated with the Cadwal-
laders, Pennypackers, Williams, Schorks and other prominent families in the development
of the mineral property and wealth of Pennsylvania. During his later years he held local
public offices. He married Hannah Pittman, a woman noted for her beauty, while her
love of home and children was a dominant force in her life. For outdoor pleasure and
exercise she chose horses and greatly enjoyed the hunts which were attractive social features
of that period. She had acquired a superior education, had traveled much and was held
in the highest esteem by her neighbors and acquaintances.

Patrick P. Carroll began his education when four years of age. He afterward attended
a private technical school in Phoenixville, where the two Pennypackers were his school-
mates. At fourteen he was sent to the Army and Navy School of Colonel Taggart, in
Philadelphia, and after Fort Sumter was fired upon Mr. Carroll, then seventeen years of
age, was taken into the navy and served until the spring of 1863, being connected with what
is known as the Volunteer Naval or Marine Battalion, commanded by Major John G.
Reynolds of the Marine Corps. After the first battle of Bull Run his command was with
the Potomac Flotilla in the reduction of the Confederate fortifications at Port Leonard,
Port Tobacco, Port Servell and others on the Virginia side. Later the battalion was at-
tached to Dupont's fleet that captured and took possession of Port Royal, South Carolina,
and other fortified places on the South Atlantic around Key West. Following this they
were assigned to the James River fleet that covered McClennan's retreat (so-called) to Har-
rison's Landing. The battalion participated in the battle of Malvern Hill, the last of the
seven days' fight, which retreat has been, by military critics and tacticians, declared to be
the greatest and most scientific known in war. It has been compared with the retreat of
Xenophon and his ten thousand but of greater magnitude and superior military genius.
After the abandonment of the peninsula Mr. Carroll was attached to Commodore Wilkes'




PATRICK P. CAKKOI-l.



'T.'i.i-;-:; /<



•>tc



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 1061

West India Flying Squadron, with which he remained until the spring of 1863, when his
vessel, the Sonoma, returned to the Brooklyn navy yard for repairs. While on short leave
he concluded to join the Forty-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers and at the expiration of
his leave was mustered out of the navy. The Forty-eighth Pennsylvania became a part
of the Second Brigade, Second Division, Ninth Army Corps, commanded by General Burn-
side, from the crossing of the Rapidan on the 1st of May, 1864, until they entered Rich-
mond after the surrender of General Lee in April, 1865. Mr. Carroll was in every one of
the great battles, beginning with the Wilderness, to the siege of Petersburg. He first sug-
gested and participated in the undermining of the Elliot Salient, otherwise known to the
soldier boys as Fort Hell, which prolonged the war one year. Mr. Carroll bears the scars
of five wounds, one through the left foreleg, one on the right forearm, one on the left
hand, one through the body, on the left breast, and one in the head. After sustaining the
last mentioned mjury he was left among the dead and dying for thirty hours. The siege
of Petersburg was caused by a great blunder that has never been told. In 1864, after the
terrific explosion of the mine on the 30th of July, Mr. Carroll was sent to Fort Schuyler,
New York, with thousands of the wounded who fell in the battles of the 30th and 31st.
His father took him home from Fort Schuyler and a few weeks later he was in Satterlee
Hospital in Philadelphia.

When able to travel Mr. Carroll was ordered to Washington and to report to General
Casey's military examining board. Three weeks later he received from Dr. I. I. Hays,
surgeon in chief of the hospital, his commission in the United States Army. After the
surrender and while stationed in Richmond he was sent to Point of Rocks, on the Appo-
mattox river, as military commander of that district. There he met the girl who later
became his wife and who had raised the flag that declared Virginia out of the Union, while
Mr. Carroll raised the flag that proclaimed the Old Dominion once more a part of the
Union. Suffering from his wounds, he was relieved of his work and ordered to Philadel-



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 129 of 142)