Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 130 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 130 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

liliia. Later he returned to Washington and assisted General Howard in the organization
of the freedman's bureau of the war department, which has ceased as a government insti-
tution by operation of law. Later he was sent to New Orleans, Louisiana, where he
remained during the period of reconstruction up to 1874. when he resigned and entered
civil life as a member of the New Orleans bar.

While in Philadelphia Mr. Carroll had entered the medical school of the State Uni-
versity, of which Dr. Hays was dean, and when he returned to Washington continued his
studies under Drs. Glennon, Bushnell and Clayborn, of the medical and surgical depart-
ments of the freedman's bureau, and also attended the law school of the Columbian Univer-
sity. In the Louisiana University, at New Orleans, he completed his law and medical course
and in later years filled the chair of civil and admiralty law for eighteen months in
Straight University. The rapid growth of his law practice, especially in the field of ad-
miralty law, compelled him to resign his university position.

Following the great epidemic of yellow fever in 1878 Mr. Carroll made his way to the
Pacific coast and after a brief period spent at San Francisco removed to Olympia in July,
1879. He came to Seattle in 1886 and has here since remained. Wherever he has made his
home he has been active in public affairs both along professional lines and in other connec-
tions and while in Louisiana he filled successively the positions of police justice, county
judge and assistant attorney general. He was also a member and an officer of the Tax-
payers Union of the state of Louisiana, which numbered over forty thousand members
and was the means of bringing about two constitutional conventions for the betterment of
conditions. He was also instrumental in defeating the payment of fifty million dollars
of fraudulent debt against the state and twenty million against the city of New Orleans.
This was the cause of the cry of repudiation, the history of which has not been written.
From 1869 until 1874 he held the office of superintendent of national cemeteries and had
charge of the Port Hudson, Baton Rouge and Chalmette national cemeteries. While at
Port Hudson, although in the military service of Uncle Sam, he was surprised by the
appointment and commission of police judge for the parish of East Baton Rouge.

In his law practice Mr. Carroll was connected with many important litigated interests,
including the case of the state of Louisiana against Simon St. Gemes, indicted for murder,


who was tried four times in the lower court with jury and three times found guilty, while
three times the verdict was, on appeal, reversed by the supreme court. The present Chief
Justice White of the United States supreme court wrote the third and last opinion. On
the fourth trial he was acquitted. Another case of importance with which Mr. Carroll was
connected was that against the English ship Tornada, in admiralty for salvage. Over twenty
lawyers were engaged on the case, many of whom had won national and international fame,
including Thomas Semmes, of Louisiana, who was mentioned for chief justice of the
United States supreme court at the time Justice Fuller was named by President Cleveland.
This case was probably the first in which a great monopoly or trust was attacked and it
fought back with a vengeance. The trust had a monopoly of the towage and lighterage
of the harbor, in fact of the Mississippi river. It owned and operated a powerful iire-
boat equipped with all modern appliances for extinguishing fires, including the manufacture
and use of carbonic acid gas. It had contracts with the crews of its several vessels, which,
in lieu of all claims for salvage, were paid double the going wages for towboat service.
Similar contracts were made with other towboats so they could render assistance only when
called for by the trust. Fire was discovered on the Tornada early on a morning in 1877.
Mr. Carroll represented the Divers and Wreckers Union and other labor organizations. It
was the Divers and Wreckers Union that saved the vessel and her cargo. This was his
contention and that the contracts were void and against public policy, which contention made
the trust liable for over ten million dollars. At that time and prior thereto fires were rather
frequent in the shipping, and incidentally he sought to prove that the fires had some rela-
tion to the fire boat salvage claim. The true history of the case, if written as only Mr.
Carroll could write it, discloses a criminal conspiracy rarely if ever excelled in criminal
law. A few years after the case was settled the truth came out ; the master of the fireboat
and others of the trust were indicted for arson, gave bond in the sum of ten thousand
dollars each, skipped the country and, so far as Mr. Carroll is informed, that was the last
heard of them. Another important case with which he was connected was that which
involved the meaning of two certain provisions of the present bankrupt law in the case of
Stratton, trustee, vs. Holden, bankrupt. The question was whether a cash paid up life
insurance policy was an asset of the bankrupt estate. The trustee asserted it was. Mr.
Carroll took the negative side. The case was in the ninth circuit, which had in two prior
cases decided against his construction of the law, as had one other of the circuit courts
of appeal. He had, however, one, the eighth circuit court, with him. The referee followed
the home court and ruled against him. He appealed to the district court and the referee was
reversed. The trustee appealed to the circuit court of appeals, ninth circuit, and the dis-
trict court ruling was reversed, the court holding to its former opinion. The bankrupt
appealed to the supreme court, where the appellate court was reversed and Mr. Carroll's
contention afl!irmed, and thus was settled a very important question of law as to the ex-
emption of life insurance.

After coming to Seattle Mr. Carroll continued in the practice of law for some years
but in 1887 turned his law business over to three young men in his office and became actively
engaged in the lumber business in the Puget Sound country, in which he became interested
as attorney for logging companies and mills. He was the first to log by rail and the
logging truck is his invention. He created the shingle trade with the eastern market by
shipping the first car of cedar shingles to Chicago and for an extended period was promi-
nently and actively identified with the lumber industry of the northwest.

In Philadelphia, on the gth of October, 1S63, Mr. Carroll was married to Miss Sarah
Jane Talbott, a daughter of Colonel William and Rebecca (Moody) Talbott, who were
connected with the "F. F. V.'s," and in whose family there were four daughters and one
son, who was killed in the early period of the Civil war. Prior to the war Colonel Tal-
bott was a very wealthy man, his property consisting of land and slaves, with a home in
Richmond and a large plantation on the Appomattox, four miles above City Point and
eight miles from Petersburg. That plantation was occupied from time to time by Federals
and Confederates during the war which freed the negroes but few left the plantation and
those who did returned. To Mr. and Mrs. Carroll were born the following children:
Dr. Francis Matthew Carroll is surgeon in chief of the National Guard of the state of


Washington with the rank of major. He has also filled the office of county coroner and
chief health officer of the city. He married Ida Sutthoff. John Edward Carroll, who
married Charlotte Wood, is a lawyer by profession and one of the city justices of Seattle.
He is also a major of the National Guard and one of the most popular of its officers.
These two sons have been in the National Guard since sixteen and fifteen years of age
respectively and John E. is head of the court martial, or military court, and has charge of
the range, etc. A daughter, Sarah Jane Carroll, became the wife of William Grant Gilger,
a manufacturer and wholesale jeweler, of Cleveland, Ohio. She has won more than local
fame as a vocalist and amateur actress. Othilia Gertrude, the second daughter, is the wife
of Walter B. Beals, an attorney of Seattle, who has made a name for himself in his pro-
fession. He is also a major and judge advocate of the National Guard and a member of
the governor's staff. His grandfather, McMillan, was a Pennsylvanian and became chief
justice of the supreme court of the territory of Minnesota and also one of the first
senators of that state, securing by lot the long term. He was serving for a third term in
that position at the time of his death. The father of Mr. Beals was also a member of the
supreme court of Minnesota at the time of his death. Mrs. Beals throughout her school
days and through the various school grades never received a scholarship mark of less
than ninety-eight. She is an accomplished musician on the piano and violin and ranks
high as an artist and amateur actress. After taking her degrees in Washington University
she entered the law school and was graduated at the head of her class. Prior to her mar-
riage she practiced law in her father's office with success and she is now very prominent
in social life and in the athletic sports in which women indulge. Cornelia Alice Carroll
became the wife of Richard H. Edelen, who at the time of his death was assistant cashier
of the Northwest Trust & Safe Deposit Company of Seattle. He was a representative of
a prominent old family of Maryland living in the vicinity of Baltimore. There was no
more popular or worthy young man connected with the banks of Seattle. He had the
confidence of his superiors and the banking fraternity and his death was the occasion of
deep and widespread regret. His widow with her baby daughter is now at home with her
parents. Mrs. Edelen and her sister Elitia, while visiting in New Orleans in igii, were
offered a fortune to join and take leading parts in the French Opera Company, then play-
ing in that city. Elitia can play any instrument from the jewsharp to the violin, being
equally proficient on wind or string instruments. She can play the most difficult music at
sight and accompany any voice without practice. This family is noted for its scholarship,
its general intelligence and as entertainers at social gatherings and their return home is
ever a matter of the deepest joy to their parents. In Seattle, on the 9th of October, 1915,
Mr. and Mrs. Carroll celebrated their golden wedding, surrounded by children, grand-
children, relatives and friends. Mr. Carroll's attitude toward his family is indicated by a
statement which he one day made : "Some save money and grow in wealth. I invest my
earnings in my family and obtain interest ten thousand per cent on an investment 'where
the moth thriveth not and rust is unknown ; where peace and contentment is taught with
love for God, country and home.' "

The religious faith of the family is that-of the Catholic church. Mr. Carroll cast his
first presidential vote for .Miraham Lincoln, in front and during the siege of Petersburg
in 1864, when he was twenty years of age. From that time forward he was a republican
until the panic of 1893, since which time he has not been a party man, supporting the
candidate whom he regards as best qualified to discharge the duties of the position which
he is seeking. Mr. Carroll was a charter member of the first Grand Army post in the
south following the Civil war. This post was formed in New Orleans in 1870. Later he
joined the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the .'Kncient Order of United Workmen, the
Woodmen of the World and the American Yeomen. He assisted in organizing and became
one of the officers of the provisional department of the Grand Army of the Republic of
Washington and Alaska at Olympia in 1880 and in all of these diflferent organizations he
has filled various offices. He likewise holds membership with the Knights of Columbus
and with the Veteran Republican Club. Since his removal to the northwest he has con-
stantly refused to be a candidate for public office although many times he has been promi-
nently mentioned for important political and judicial positions without his consent and


against his protest. Three times he has been elected or appointed to judicial office and on
one occasion qualified and held office for about three months, after which he resigned.
On the two other occasions he refused to qualify. He has preferred that his public service
in the northwest should be done as a private citizen and it is well known that he stands
for all that is worth while in public connections, desiring ever the welfare, progress and
improvement of the city and state in which he makes his home. He is the author of the
Washington Code of 1881, which indicates another phase of the activity that has made his
a most busy life and one which has brought him in honor to the evening of his days. He
has novif passed the Psalmist's allotted span of three score years and ten but is mentally
alert and in touch with the questions and issues of the day, affecting municipal, state and
national welfare. The little bronze button which he proudly wears is an indication of his
service in the Civil war and is the badge of his genuine loyalty to his country.



Charles William Corliss was a well known and prominent attorney of Seattle and one
who in his practice gave evidence of the fact that his idea of a lawyer was not one who
accepts a suit and its attending fees because he has the opportunity to do so, but one who
attempts to promote the cause of justice and insure the protection of the rights and liber-
ties, the life and property of the individual members of society. In his practice he never
deviated from the high standards which he set up and his ability brought him promi-
nently to the front. A native of Minnesota, he was born in Saratoga, September 12, 1865,
a son of Ebenezer Eaton and Elizabeth (Tucker) Corliss. The family was founded in
America by George Corliss, who was born in Devonshire, England, about 1617 and came
to this country in 1639, settling in Massachusetts. From him the line of descent is traced
down through John, Jonathan, Asa and Timothy Emerson to Ebenezer Eaton Corliss. The
last named served for four years and ten months with a Minnesota regiment in the Civil
war and was wounded in the battle of Chickamauga. He was a member of the commis-
sion appointed to build the state capitol for Minnesota and is now custodian of that

Charles W. Corliss was a public school pupil at Fergus Falls, Minnesota, and after-
ward attended Carleton College. He later studied law at the Hastings Law School and was
admitted to practice in California and in Minnesota in 1887. Two years later he was
admitted to practice at the bar of Washington. In the meantime he had followed both
farming and engineering before entering upon the practice of law, but after assuming
professional duties his advancement in that connection was continuous and he gained a
place among the prominent members of the Seattle bar. Aside from his practice he was
interested in real-estate holdings in western Washington and his investments brought him
a good return.

Mr. Corliss was married twice. On the 32d of September, 1887, at Fergus Falls, Min-
nesota, he wedded Miss Alice Stanton, daughter of John and Mary Stanton. To them
were born three children, namely: Helen Leona ; Murel May, who died in 1912; and lone
Elizabeth. The wife and mother passed away in i8g8 and the following year, in Seattle,
Mr. Corliss was again married, his second union being with Miss Eva Maude Campbell,
daughter of Rev. James and Mary (.'\itken) Campbell. Her father was a pioneer min-
ister of the Congregational church in this state and territory. By his second wife Mr. Cor-
liss had the following children; Kenneth Eben, Charles William,' Jr., Rowena Campbell and
Beverley Benjamin.

Mr. Corliss was a member of the Presbyterian church, to which his wife also belongs,
and he likewise held membership with the Masons, the Municipal League, the Arctic Club,
the Young Men's Republican Club and the Real Estate Association. He served as a mem-
ber of the National Guard of Minnesota and received honors for marksmanship. Polit-
ically he was always a stanch republican, nor did he falter in his allegiance to the party or
to any cause in which he believed. Many instances of his public spirit can be cited and




proof of his devotion to the general good is easily obtainable. In 1905, when agitation
first began leading to the holding of the Alaska- Yukon-Pacific Exposition, he published
a letter in the Post-Intelligencer calling attention to the great waste of large sums of
money by the erection of temporary buildings for expositions and suggesting that we make
an exception in this case by the erection of buildings that would be permanent structures
for some future public use. This suggestion was taken up and generally discussed ;. it
resulted in the exposition being held on the University of Washington campus, the outcome
of which was to give to the university the benefit of about one million five hundred
thousand dollars in improvements.

Perhaps the most conspicuous piece of work Mr. Corliss performed was his service
as foreman of the King county grand jury of 1911, which was in session nine months and
did more toward changing the character and tone of the city of Seattle than any other
organization to date. It permanently terminated such things as "restricted district,"
"open public gambling" and the police policy known as "protected policy." This grand
jury returned twenty-seven indictments, under which nineteen convictions were secured.
An interesting fact to be noted is that a year previous to this, a grand jury returned sixty-
two indictments, out of which there were no convictions. A grand jury previous to that
returned one hundred and five indictments and got no convictions. Mr. Corliss when urged
to give some proof of the fact that Seattle was a cleaner, more wholesome city to live in,
pointed to the following as conclusive evidence: (ist) that the justice courts records of
King county for the year succeeding this grand jury's work showed only about one-half
the number of criminal actions, of all classes, that they had showed for the year previous ;
(2d) that the records of the superior courts of King county show one court's time not
wholly consumed with the trial of felonies for the year succeeding this grand jury's work,
while the year previous showed nearly all the time of two superior courts taken for such
trials. He also pointed to the fact that Seattle was the first city on the Pacific coast to
throw aside the western "mind-your-own-business" idea, and attempt to free itself from
tlie vices that infest a city of its size, giving it more nearly the moral standing of the
older best-regulated cities of the east, and it was the first city in the world to dare to hold
a great exposition without allowing liquor to be sold on the grounds. For faith in his
home city, and optimism as to its ultimate accomplishments, Mr. Corliss, who was a resi-
dent for a quarter of a century, had no superior. His demise, which occurred June 21,
1914, was deeply and widely regretted.


Robert Franklin Shuey, a prominent and successful young Iianker who has been con-
nected with financial interests in Seattle during the past twelve years, is now president
and manager of Franklin Shuey & Company, Inc., investment bankers. His birth occurred
in Putnam county, Indiana, on the 19th day of July, 1881, his parents being Thomas J.
and Mary A. (Grider) Shuey. The father, who is deceased, was a preacher of the Chris-
tian church and became very well known in the middle west and northwest. The paternal
grandparents of our subject were born in Virginia and North Carolina respectively, while
his maternal grandparents were natives of Indiana.

Robert Franklin Shuey attended high school at Valparaiso. Indiana, and subsequently
continued his studies in Valparaiso University. During his school days he employed his
leisure hours in work as a clerk in grocery and other stores. In August, 1902, when
twenty-one years of age, he came to Seattle and secured employment in the private bank
of H. O. Shuey & Company. When the institution was incorporated in 1906 he was
elected cashier. In 1910, in association with his uncle, H. O. Shuey, he organized the
Citizens National Bank of Seattle, H. O. Shuey serving as president and R. F. Shuey as
cashier of the institution until they sold out to the Mercantile Bank in November, 1912.
Mr. Shuey of this review is now independently engaged in business as an investment
banker, being president and manager of Franklin Shuey & Company, Inc. His rise in


the financial world has been sure and rapid and has come as the natural result of his
splendid executive ability and sound judgment regarding affairs of banking. He is a
director of the Equitable Building Loan Association and well deserves representation
among the leading bankers and business men of Seattle.

On the 22d of February, 1908, in Seattle, Mr. Shuey was united in marriage to Miss
Minnie Dee Martin, a daughter of S. M. and Mary B. Martin. Her father is one of the
best known evangelists and lecturers in the United States, and her mother is a social
worker of national reputation, being now connected with the local organization of the
Young Women's Christian Association. Mrs. Shuey is well known in musical circles and
has won renown as a contralto singer. By her marriage she has become the mother of two
sons, namely: Robert Martin, who is four years of age: and Franklin Shuey. Jr.. one
year old.

In politics Mr. Shuey is a republican. His military record covers service in Company L,
Second Infantry, National Guard of Wasliington. His religious faith is indicated by his
membership in the University Place Christian church of Seattle, and he also belongs to the
College Club of Seattle. He is a j-oung man of high principles, his life being actuated
by worthy purposes and characterized by honorable conduct in every relation.


Hugh McConaghy, successfully engaged in business in Seattle as a wholesale and retail
dealer in coal and wood, has continuously conducted an enterprise of this character during
the past decade. His birth occurred in County Antrim, Ireland, on the 27th of July, 1872,
his parents being Robert and Elizabeth McConaghy, who passed away in that country when
seventy and eighty-one years of age respectively. He began his education in the schools of
his native land and continued his studies after coming to the United States. The year
1888 witnessed his arrival in Seattle, Washington, and in 1905 he embarked in the coal busi-
ness, beginning with but one team. Success attended the undertaking, however, and he is
now at the head of an extensive enterprise as a wholesale and retail dealer in coal and wood,
his place of business being at No. 844 Corwin place. He utilizes many teams and auto
trucks and in the careful conduct of his interests has met with a most gratifying and well
merited measure of prosperity.

In early manhood Mr. McConaghy was united in marriage to Miss Alice Dunden, who
passed away on the 22d of February, 1906, leaving two sons, namely : Harold J., born in
February, 1900; and Edwin J., whose birth occurred July 16, 1904. In September, 1908,
Mr. McConaghy was again married, his second union being with Miss Edith Moore, a
native of Richmond, Virginia. The religious faith of the family is that of the Catholic

Politically Mr. McConaghy is non-partisan, voting for men and measures rather than
for party, and fraternally he is identified with the Eagles and the Modern Woodmen of
America. The period of his residence in Seattle now covers more than a quarter of a cen-
tury and he enjoys an enviable reputation as one of its substantial and representative busi-
ness men and esteemed citizens.


Fred L, .'Kverill, secretary and manager of the Pacific Door & Manufacturing Company,
has been identified with the business since 1909, and in 191 1 he was chosen for the dual
ofiice that he now fills. He was born in Santa Clara, California, August 26, 1877, a son
of Volney and Alice Averill. In the year 1870 the father went to California, settling in
Santa Clara county, where he engaged in fruit farming and there he has since made his

Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 130 of 142)