Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 131 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 131 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


home.

Reared on the Pacific coast, Fred L. Averill has always been identified with the west



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 1069

and the spirit of enterprise which has been the salient feature in the growth and progress
of this section of the country has been manifest in his business career. After attending
tlie public schools he continued his education in a business college and later worked upon
his father's ranch until 1902, when at the age of twenty-five years he came to Seattle and
secured the position of clerk in the lumber department of Moran Brothers' shipyard. He
spent two years in that connection, after which he became manager of the department and
filled the position until 1909, when he resigned and bought an interest in the Pacific Door
& Manufacturing Company. He has since been identified with the business and was
cliosen vice president, so continuing until 191 1, when he was elected secretary and mana-
ger. He has since directed the activities of the company, controlling manufacturing meth-
ods and directing the policy of a business that is growing steadily and already has a large
output.

On the 25th of July, 1903, in San Francisco, \Lr. Averill was united in marriage to
Miss Clara Shartzer. Fraternally Mr. Averill is identified with the Masons, belonging to
St. John's Lodge, No. 9, F. & A. M., and he is likewise a member of the Royal Arcanum,
the Rotary Club and Seattle Chapter, No. 95, Order of the Eastern Star. His political
allegiance is given to the republican party, while his religious faith is that of the Episcopal
church. In all those things which are most worth while Mr. Averill is deeply interested
and his membership associations indicate the trend of his thought and activities along lines
seeking for the betterment of the individual and of the community.



SEARS, ROEBUCK & COMPANY.

Tlie business done by the Seattle house of Sears, Roebuck & Company, of Chicago, of
wliich Henry Bowers is general manager, makes this one of the most extensive and import-
ant commercial enterprises on the Pacific coast. The branch was established in 1910, with
twenty-five thousand square feet of floor space in the Armour building, and seven people
were employed. Something of the marvelous growth of the business may be imagined
from the fact that today there are twelve hundred names upon the pay roll. The rapid
growth of the trade led to a removal in the fall of 1910 to 570 First avenue. South, where
they secured sixty-five thousand square feet of floor space. The continued development of
the trade led to the erection of a six-story and basement building at Utah and Landers
streets in 1913, giving them two hundred thousand square feet of floor space. Still the
business grew so rapidly that their accommodations were inadequate and they have rented
the Henry, the Moran, Fales, Bennett, Seattle Ice Company's, Provident and Western
Electric buildings, and they have recently completed, in 191 5, a new nine-story and base-
ment building adjoining their building at Utah and Landers, giving them an additional
space of eight hundred thousand square feet. Their buildings now cover an entire square
block and are modern in every respect, being similar in plan and arrangement to their
Cliicago plant. Their pay roll is devided in three divisions: first division, fifty-five hundred
dollars monthly; second division, forty-five hundred dollars monthly: and third division,
twelve thousand dollars weekly. The western branch of the business also carries stock
and has warehouses in Spokane, Washington, Portland, Oregon, and Stockton, California.
The Seattle branch has done a business as follows: 1910, three hundred and twenty thou-
sand dollars; 1911, six hundred and sixty thousand dollars; 1912. one million dollars; 1913,
six million dollars; 1914, seven million five hundred thousand dollars; and the estimate for
1915 is eight million five hundred thousand dollars. Their postage from the 1st of January
to the 1st of July. 1915, for letters was fourteen thousand one hundred and nine dollars and
thirty cents, for parcel post one hundred and four thousand dollars and postage for cata-
logues issued in February, March and April, thirty-four thousand, seven hundred and
sixty-nine dollars and eighty-seven cents. The same progressive policy is followed in Seat-
tle under the direction of Mr. Bowers as is maintained at the Chicago plant, whereby the
house of Sears, Roebuck & Company has become the foremost mailing house of the world.
It has instituted many new methods, plans and projects, displaying the spirit of the pioneer
in this, and its course has largely set the standard pursued by similar undertakinjjs. Upon



1070 HISTORY OF SEATTLE " •

Henry Bowers devolves the responsibility of managing the extensive, growing business of
the northwest and he is proving adequate in every particular, as the development of the
trade of this section of the country indicates.



ALEXANDER B. GALLOWAY.

Alexander B. Galloway, the vice president of the American Paper Company of Seat-
tle, was born in southeastern Missouri, May 2g, 1872, a son of George W. Galloway. At
the usual age he began his education as a public-school pupil and passed through consecu-
tive grades to his graduation from the high school when a youth of sixteen. He afterward
went to Riverside, Montana, and made his initial step in business by becoming cashier on
the stock farm of the Marcus Dailey Company, in which capacity he continued until 1891.
He then went to Portland, Oregon, where he became connected with the Blake & McFall
Company, jobbers in paper, whom he represented as a salesman until 1913. That year
witnessed his arrival in Seattle and here he invested his capital in the business in which
he has since engaged. He is now vice president of the American Paper Company, jobbers
in all kinds of paper and everything made from paper. He employs forty-five workmen
and his trade covers Alaska, Washington and Oregon. He has ever recognized the fact
that satisfied patrons are the best advertisement and puts forth earnest effort to please his
customers.

On the 20th of June, igoo, in Seattle, Mr. Galloway was united in marriage to Miss
Edith Rahn, by whom he has two children, Lee and Bruce, who are eleven and nine years
of age respectively and are public-school students. Mr. Galloway votes with the republican
party and keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day but does not seek
nor desire office. He belongs to the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and he also has
membership with the Arctic Club and the Commercial Club. He is likewise a member of
the Chamber of Commerce and he stands loyally in support of all plans and projects which
he deems of general value and benefit to the community. His own course has been marked
by a steady progression that has led him out of humble business surroundings to a place
prominent in the commercial circles of his adopted city.



HENRY BOWERS.



Henry Bowers, of Seattle, stands today as one of the foremost representatives of trade
interests upon the Pacific coast, farsighted and alert and ready to meet any emergency.
He was born in Branch county, Michigan, January 29, 1870, a son of John S. and Kate
(Decker) Bowers. He had no special advantages beyond such as many boys enjoy, nor have
his opportunities been unusual, but he has always been ready to advance where the way
seemed open. He attended the public schools to the age of seventeen years and afterward
engaged in teaching for two years. His vacation periods were not devoted to recreation
but were given to attendance at a business college. He went to Ypsilanti, Michigan, where
he attended the Cleary Business College for two years, after which he made his way to
Chicago and secured a position as stenographer with the Keystone Chemical Company.
The diligence and determination with which he applied himself to his duties won him pro-
motion until he became office manager. In 1894 he resigned his connection with the Key-
stone Chemical Company and entered the employ of the Raymond Lead Company as a
stenographer. There again advancement came to him in recognition of his resourcefulness
and reliability and for twelve years he was at the head of the accounting department. He
then went to Sears, Roebuck & Company as department manager, remaining with the Chi-
cago house until 1910, when he was made general manager of business on the entire Pacific
coast, covering California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada and the western third of Montana.
He opened the Seattle house and in five years the trade has increased many-fold until the




HENRY BOWERS



HISTORY OF SEATTLE ■ 1073

plant now covers an entire city block, and the business is in the lead of commercial enter-
prises in the west.

Mr. Bowers was married in Branch county, Michigan, to Miss Edith Jones, the cere-
mony taking place on the I2th of October, 1892. They have one son, Ralph, who is twenty-
two years of age and is now identified with the city health department. He pursued a
high school course and is also a graduate of the Oregon State Agricultural College at
Corvallis. In his political views Mr. Bowers is independent, studying the questions and
issues of the day from the standpoint of a practical business man and voting according to
the dictates of his judgment. That he is interested in moral development and improvement
is indicated in his membership in the Methodist church and the Young Men's Christian
Association. That he is not unmindful of the opportunity for material progress for the
city is evidenced in his connection with the Chamber of Commerce and the Pacific High-
ways Association. That the social element of life has not been neglected by him is mani-
fest in his membership in the Auto Club, the Rainier Club and the Seattle Golf Club. While
his business claims the major portion of his attention, he turns readily from one interest
to another and commercial, social, moral or public interests, as the case may be, engross
his entire attention for the moment. It is this concentration of purpose which has been
one of the strong elements of his success. Moreover, he early recognized that industry
and faithfulness are indispensable concomitants of advancement and his employment of
those qualities has brought him to his present enviable position.



JULES F. ARCHER.



Jules F. Archer, president of the Archer Blower & Pipe Company, manufacturers and
contractors of slow speed blowers and exhausters, complete dust collecting systems, induced
draft plants and burners and smoke stacks and conveyors, has his office and factory at
Edmonds street and Eighth avenue, South, and concentrating his energies upon his busi-
ness is making it a iirofitable industrial enterprise. He was born in Chicago, July 2. 18S4,
and attended the public schools at Green Bay, Wisconsin, after which he became a student
in the high school at Madison, Wisconsin, and later attended the State University in that
city until 1902. In the latter year, when a youth of eighteen, he made his way to Seattle
and became connected with the United States Blower Pipe & Hydraulic Works, owned by
his brothers, working at first for a dollar and a half per day. In 1908 he purchased an
interest in the business and changed the name and reincorporated the business under the
style of the Archer Blower & Pipe Company. He acted as constructing manager for a
year, then became sales manager and in 191 1 was elected secretary and treasurer, while in
1913 he became the president and general manager. This business was first established in
1900 by A. C, J. G. and F. G. Archer under the firm name of the United States Blower
Pipe & Hydraulic Works, manufacturers of sheet metal and iron works. At the beginning
they employed but six men and the growth of the undertaking is indicated in the fact
that they now furnish employment to from thirty to fifty and are doing a good business.
They make a specialty of manufacturing blowers and their business extends all over the
Pacific coast and Alaska. Liberal educational training well qualified Mr. Archer for that
mental alertness and concentration which must precede success and his carefully directed
efforts are winning hnn constant advancement along the road of prosperity.



CLYDE O. MORROW.



Clyde O. Morrow is president of the Elliott Bay Yacht & Engineering Company, which
was organized in 1900 and of which, with the exception of two years, from 1908 to 1910,
he has continuously been the chief directing head and executive officer. He was born in
Allen county, Kansas. .'Xpril 24, 1S76, a son of T. C. and Alice Morrow. He attended the
public schools until sixteen years of age, after which he devoted two years to farming. At

Vol. Ill— 47



1074 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

the age of eighteen he became a telegraph operator. He spent two years in apprentice-
ship at the Linstrom shipyard, after which he came to Seattle and was employed by the
Seattle Construction & Dry Dock Company until the fall of 1910. He next went to Everett,
Washington, where he engaged with the Everett Shipbuilding Company for one year.
Later he returned to Aberdeen, Washington, and spent one year with the Linstrom Ship-
building Company. He afterward secured the position of foreman with the Seattle Con-
struction & Dry Dock Company. In 1906 he was sent to Katchikan, Alaska, to do some
work for the Union Steamship Company but after three months there he resigned and
organized the Knight & Morrow Company, general contractors, continuing in business in
Alaska until 1909, when he again came to Seattle and organized the Elliott Bay Yacht &
Engineering Company, of whicli he has since been the president. This company builds and
repairs boats.

On the 8th of December, 1900. in Seattle, Mr. Morrow was united in marriage to Miss
Nellie E. Hughey, by whom he has three children, namely ; Mayella, w-ho is thirteen j-ears
of age and a public-school student ; Clyde Bartell, a youth of eight who is also attending
public school ; and James Gray, who is five years old.

PVaternally Mr. Morrow is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He
has never been a club man nor active in politics, as he has always found his pleasure at his
own fireside and in the companionship of his friends, while his time has largely been
devoted to his business interests and by reason of his close application and indefatigable
industry he has worked his way steadih' upward in this connection.



H. C. BRADFORD.



Identified intimately for a long time with the transportation' interests betw'een Seattle
and Alaska, H. C. Bradford was vice president and secretary of the Northland Steamship
Company, which "operates the steamship Northland in southeastern Alaska. He has had a
most interesting career in connection with the Alaska gold stampede. The year that the
Portland steamed into Seattle harbor with her golden cargo he and a number of other
Massachusetts young men sent a fishing schooner from Boston around South America and
through the Straits of Magellan to enter the Alaska trade, and early in 1898 the whole
company boarded her at San Francisco, thus starting out upon an Argonautic expedition.
The name of the vessel was the Abbie F. Morris and she was afterward wrecked on the
beach of Behring sea at St. Michael.

For five years Mr. Bradford served as cashier of the Pacific Coast & Alaska Steamship
Company at Ketchikan, Alaska, and spent in all about nine years in the north before com-
ing to Seattle to take up his permanent abode. He has since lived in this city, directing his
transportation interests from this point, and he occupies a prominent position in connection
with the business in which he is now engaged.

Sailing and fishing are his chief diversions and in clubdom Mr. Bradford is well
known, being a member of the Arctic Club, the Transportation Club, the Seattle Com-
mandery and the Scottish Rite Masonic bodies and the Merchants Exchange. Attractive
social qualities render him popular in these organizations and he is known as a man of
many friends in the city in which he now resides.



WILLIAM HESS FLnCK.



Ere Seattle had advanced beyond the point of being a small town and had taken on
the proportions of a. city William Hess Finck became identified with its commercial inter-
ests as a jeweler on what was then Commercial street, now First avenue South, near Main
street. From that date until 1911, covering a period of almost thirty years, he was an
active factor in the business circles of the city and when close application and energy
had brought to him a considerable measure of success he retired and is now enjoying a



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 1075

well earned rest with leisure for participation in those activities which are a matter of
recreation and interest to him. A native of Canada, he was born August 8, 1859, in
Strathroy, county of Middlesex, Ontario. His parents were William August and Mary
(Hess) Fnick. The father was born in Baden, Germany, in 1832 and at the age of seven-
teen years emigrated to the United States, whence in the early '50s he removed to Canada.
He followed farming in early manhood but afterward turned his attention to the furniture
business, in which he continued until his death in 1913. He wedded ^Mary Hess, a native
of Canada, and they became the parents of eleven children.

William Hess Finck, the third in order of birth, pursued a public school education in
Canada and also completed a commercial course in Heald's Business College. In 1875,
when but fifteen years of age, he was taken to Detroit by his father and was put on a
train and went alone to California although that was the first time that he had ever been
on a train. He joined two uncles who were living in California, one of whom had a jewelry
store. Our subject learned the jewelry business under him and in 1880 accepted a posi-
tion at Oroville, in Butte county, California, where he remained until i88j, the year of his
removal to Seattle. After remaining at his original location for a time he occupied a new
location on Commercial, near Mill street, now Vesler Way, and was there conducting busi-
ness at the time of the fire of 1889, when, with the great majority of Seattle's merchants,
lie suffered heavy losses. His courageous and determined spirit, however, now stood him
in good stead and he reopened business at No. 816 Second avenue, where he remained until
his retirement in 191 1, conducting one of the fine jewelry stores of the city and enjoying
a liberal patronage from among the best people of this part of the state. In the meantime
he !iad e.\tended his efforts in other directions, building in 1907 the Buena Vista apartments,
which he still owns. He is likewise president of the Finck Investment Company, owners
of business property in San Francisco, from which a substantial annual income is derived.

In Seattle, on the 15th of January, 1885, Mr. Finck was married to Miss Margaret
Woolery, a daughter of Isaac and Margaret Woolery. The Woolcry family crossed the
plains in 1853 by ox team and settled in the Puyallup valley, removing to Seattle about 1879.
To Mr. and Mrs. Finck has been born a son, Herbert William, who is a nicnibcr of the
state militia and who spent three years in the University of Washington.

During the period of his early residence in Seattle Mr. Finck became identified with
the Seattle Rifles, which was the first military organization of the city. This was in 1884.
The command was afterward merged into Company B of the Territorial Militia and he was
promoted to corporal and was a member of the first rifle team. He is a republican sympa-
thizer and an advocate of the high protective tariff but he has never been an office seeker,
preferring that his public service should be done as a private citizen in active support of
tliose measures and projects which he has deemed essential to the welfare and upbuilding
nf the community. In 1884 he joined the Knights of Pythias and has held every office in
tlie lodge, becoming chancellor in 1889. In 1898 he was initiated in Masonry as a mem-
ber of St. John's Lodge. No. 9, F. & A. M. In the same year he attained the thirty-second
degree of the Scottish Rite in Lawson Consistory. No. i. and he is a charter member of
Nile Temple of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He is also a member of the Seattle
.\utomobile Club and the Seattle Commercial Club.

In the early days he was famous as a fisherman and was considered an authority on
trout and salmon fishing and was sought for information on those subjects by newcomers
to the city. There are many stories that are told of his skill as a fisherman. His success
in business is the result of his own enterprise and acumen, as when he arrived in Seattle
he had but a few dollars' capital, but he was young and energetic and was determined to
succeed and he is now financially independent. The year after his removal to this city he
was taken ill with typhoid fever and while convalescing took a trip to Hawaii which
restored his health. In 1914 he built an attractive bungalow and there he has since lived.
He is very fond of the outdoors and not only enjoys fishing but also finds much pleasure
in motoring.

For a third of a century he has been an interested witness of the city's development
and progress and has watched its growth, which at certain periods has been marvelous,
from a small town to a great commercial center with its ramifying trade interests reaching
out to all parts of the world. At all times he has stood for progress and improvement, his



1076 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

interest therein being manifest in many tangible ways, and through the passing years he
has also maintained an unassailable reputation as a reliable as well as an enterprising
business man — one who has contributed to the commercial development of the city.



H. W. KENT.



H. W. Kent is a well known representative of industrial activity in Seattle by reason
of the fact that he is the secretary and treasurer of the Seattle Construction & Dry Dock
Company. He was born in Lockport, New York, December 9, 1881, and is a son of Walter
F. Kent. While spending his youthful days under the parental roof he began his educa-
tion in the public schools and was graduated from the high school when seventeen years
of age. He then started in the business world, accepting the position of bookkeeper in the
cost department with the Holly Pump Works at Lockport, New York. After two years,
however, he left and came to the northwest. Making Seattle his destination, he entered the
employ of Moran Brothers Company, shipbuilders, in the capacity of junior clerk and was
gradually advanced through intermediate positions to that of bookkeeper. On the ist of
April, 1906, the plant was sold to the newly organized corporation under the name of The
Moran Company. With the new company Mr. Kent was appointed chief clerk, in which
capacity he served until May, 191 1, when he became treasurer. In January, 191 J, The Moran
Company sold out to the Seattle Construction & Dry Dock Company, and of the latter cor-
poration Mr. Kent became the secretary and treasurer. During the fifteen years in which
he has been associated with this industry much important work has been successfully accom-
plished, among the more important contracts being the construction of the United States
battleship Nebraska, the United States submarine tender Bushnell and numerous submarines,
freight and passenger vessels of large tonnage.

On the loth of October, 191 1, in Seattle, Mr. Kent was united in marriage to Miss
Annabel A. Beckland, by whom he has one child, Marion Annabel. Mr. Kent belongs to
the Masonic fraternity and exemplifies in his life the beneficent spirit of the craft. He
is also a member of the Arctic Club and the Rotary Club, while his political indorsement is
given to the republican party. In his business his management is characterized by enthusi-
astic progressiveness tempered by a safe conservatism. He has the faculty of wisely adjust-
ing all difficulties and obstacles that he may encounter and of using his opportunities to the
best possible advantage, and thus his course has ever been a forward one.



NAPOLEON CAMPBELL.



Napoleon Campbell was born in St. Johns, Chrysostome, near Montreal, Quebec,
March 29. 1858. His parents were Vital Campbell and Olive Corbiere, both natives of
Canada, where the father engaged -n farming. Napoleon Campbell attended the common
schools in the vicinity of Montreal until the family removed to Norwood, New York.
At the age of nineteen years he went to Stillwater. Minnesota, where he engaged in the



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 131 of 142)