Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 133 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 133 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


religious faith to be that of the Catholic church. He is also connected with the Benevolent
Protective Order of Elks. Industry and perseverance are among the salient characteristics
of Mr. Costello and it is through the utilization of these qualities that he is making for
himself a creditable place in business circles in the northwest.



ABRAHAM L. WALTERS.



Long in the public service as superintendent of streets, Abraham L. Walters proved a
most capable official, as is indicated in the fact that he was recalled to the office for several
terms. He studied closely the grave problems connected with the repair and improvement
of the streets and made it his constant purpose to give to the city a system of highways
worthy the progressive spirit of the northwest. Mr. Walters became a resident of Seattle
in August, 1888, removing to this city from Colorado.

He was born in Zanesville, Ohio, on the 3d of October, 1861, and in early manhood
removed westward to Colorado, where he engaged in mining until he determined to try
his fortune in the Puget Sound country. In Seattle he became acquainted with Mr. Parks,
a contractor, with whom he remained for about two years. For a time he was quite active
in real estate operations and in 1895 he entered municipal service as foreman of the streets,
sewer and park department, occupying that position for a number of years, or until the



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 1087

death of Frank Little in 1901, when he was appointed to fill out :Mr. Little's unexpired term
as superintendent of streets. Later he was again appointed to the same position and still
ai;ain, continuing in that office until 1908. After his retirement he turned his attention to
the contracting business in connection with Hans Pederson, putting in cement walks through-
out the Meridian district and in other sections. A liberal patronage was accorded the firm
and Mr. Walters continued active in that connection until Mayor Miller again called upon
him to fill the office of superintendent of streets, in whicli capacity he continued until two
years prior to his death. It was while he was acting in that capacity that the department
was separated from the park board and established as an independent department. Mr.
Walters wrought many changes for the betterment of the streets and the city. Many men
were employed under his direction and he bent every energy to the faithful performance
of his ofiicial duties. He carefully systematized the work, avoided useless expenditure and
at the same time never practiced that retrenchment which is detrimental to needed public
progress.

On the 6th of February, 1896, in Seattle, Mr. Walters was united in marriage to Miss
Clara A. Smith. Her father, Benjamin F. Smith, who was engaged in business as a con-
tractor and builder in Minnesota, came to Seattle in October, 1888, and has here remained
continuously since, having served as an inspector in the street department for a number of
years. To Mr. and Mrs. Walters have been born two children, namely: Frank, whose
birth occurred October 22, 1900; and Helen, whose natal day was October 31, 1903.

In his political views Mr. Walters was always a republican. He belonged to the In-
dependent Order of Foresters and he held membership in the Edgewater Congregational
church. He had great faith in the city, its possibilities, opportunities and the ultimate
promotion of its prosperity and growth, and he labored earnestly for its welfare, cooperating
in many plans productive of excellent results. He died February 8, 1915, at the age of
fifty-three years. He had firmly established himself in the regard of many acquaintances
and he had the respect of all who were in his employ, while those who came within the
close circle of his friendship entertained for him deep affection.



JOSEPH KILDALL.



Joseph Kildall, president and manager of the Panama Pacific Commercial Company,
was born in Norway, in March, 186.;. His father, Michael Kildall, was a merchant and a
large operator in the fish business in Horstad, Norway, for a number of years. He came
to .America in 1888, crossing the Atlantic five years after the arrival of his son Joseph
in the new world.

It was in 1883 that Joseph Kildall, then a youth of eighteen years, bade adieu to
friends and native land and sailed for the new world, attracted by the favorable accounts
which he heard concerning the business chances to be found in America. He made his way
to the Pacific coast, settling first in Tacoma, Washington, where he entered the employ of
Hansan & Company, conducting a milling business at that place. Still later Mr. Kildall
made his waj' to San Francisco, but remained in California for only a year. He after-
ward went to Port Gamble, Washington, and entered the employ of the Puget Sound
Mill Company, with which he continued for three years, acting as a salesman in their
store. He afterward embarked in general merchandising on his own account at Lynden.
Washington, and there continued in business until 1892. He then turned his attention to
steamboat interests, operating steamboats between Bellingham, Seattle and Tacoma, and
still later he became connected with the fish industry on Puget Sound, making his head-
quarters at Bellingham. In 1897 he removed to Minneapolis, Minnesota, where he estab-
lished the Kildall Fish Company, one of the largest wholesale fish houses of the United
States, remaining in that city until 191 1, supervising the interests of the company. In the
meantime he organized the Pacific Coast & Norway Packing Company, with headquarters
at Petersburg, Alaska. This company conducted a general merchandise, canning and saw-
milling business, owned the town site and built up the town of Petersburg. Mr. Kildall
also organized the Kildall-Bright Company of Chicago, Illinois, which did a very Urge



1088 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

importing business and engaged in the sale of foreign and domestic fish. In igii. however,
he decided to return to the Pacific coast and settled in Seattle. After investigating the
Sound countrj', the geographic location, the climate and other conditions led to his choice.
He became identified with several companies in the general fish business, packing, marketing
and superintending several fish industries on the coast, operating throughout America
and foreign countries in the shipment and marketing of fish. This business has been
organized under the name of the Panama Pacific Commercial Company, a corporation
which is capitalized for a large amount and which is now conducting an e.xtensive business
throughout the Pacific coast country, being one of the foremost concerns of the kind in
the west.

In Bellingham, Wasliington. Mr. Kildall was united in marriage to Miss Mary Jenkins,
a daughter of Judge John R. Jenkins, of that city, and one of its early settlers. He
served as justice of the peace at Bellingham for a number of years and for a long period
was in the hotel business, but passed away about 1907. Mr. and Mrs. Kildall have
become the parents of two children, Blanch and Harold, aged respectively twenty-three
and twenty-two years, the latter now assisting his father in the office work.

In politics Mr. Kildall has always been a stanch republican, working for the growth
and success of the party, but at municipal elections where no political issue is involved
he casts an independent ballot, considering only the capability of the candidate for office
to which he aspires. He is a member of the Transportation Club of Seattle and he and
his family attend the Trinity Episcopal church. Mr. Kildall has been a citizen of the new
world for over thirty years and has been numbered among the representative business
men of Seattle for five years. He has built up an immense business in his line, his well
defined plans having been carried forward to successful completion. Energy and enterprise
have enabled him to overcome obstacles and difficulties created by conditions and competi-
tion and he is today at the head of one of the foremost concerns of the kind on the
Pacific coast. He has had broad experience and his powers have developed with the pass-
ing years, making him capable of controlling most important enterprises.



HERBERT ERNEST SNOOK.

For a quarter of a century Herbert Ernest Snook has been a resident of Seattle,
during which period he has engaged actively in law practice. For fifteen years he has
followed his profession independent of partnership relations and his ability has gained
him high rank among the representatives of the Seattle bar. He was born at Marion,
Linn county, Iowa, April i, 1868. His father, Benjamin Franklin Snook, was born in
Zanesville, Ohio, in 1836, was educated for the ministry, and at the time of his death,
which occurred in 1905, was pastor of the Universalist church at Webster City, Iowa.
He was also prominent in fraternal circles and was chaplain of the Masonic lodge of
Webster City, while in the order he attained to the thirty-second degree of the Scottish
Rite. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Catherine Mary Moore, was of Scotch-Irish
parentage and was born in Bloomington, Indiana, in 1838.

Herbert E. Snook is a graduate of a high school of Bloomfield, Iowa, where he com-
pleted his course with the class of 1886. He was afterward graduated from the Southern
Iowa Normal School of that place in i888 and he became a law student in the office of
McHenry, McHenry & McHenry of Des Moines. Iowa, who directed his reading until his
admission to the bar in i8go. In the meantime he had taught school in the Mount Pleasant
district of Jefferson county, Iowa, in 1887, in the schools of Pacific City, Mills county,
Iowa, in 1888, and was principal of the Park .'\ venue School of Des Moines in 1889, during
all of which time he was pursuing his legal studies.

On the i8th of April, [890, soon after the great Seattle fire, Mr. Snook arrived in this
city with the intention of making it his permanent abode and his residence here has been
continuous through the past quarter of a century. He formed a partnership with Daniel
O. Finch for the practice of law on the 1st of June, 1890, and opened law offices on
the third floor of the Butler block, then just completed. Mr. Finch was an elderly man




HEKBEkT !■:. SXOUK



I



HISTORY OF SEATTLE • 1091

whose office as United States district attorney for the state of Iowa under President
Cleveland's first administration had just expired. On the ist of January, 1891, they removed
to offices in the Burke building, then just completed. About si.x months after the formation
of this partnership they were joined by Joseph M. Glasgow, afterward municipal judge
of the city of Seattle, in a partnership under the firm name of Finch, Snook & Glasgow.
That relation was dissolved in 1892 when a son of Daniel O. Finch was taken in as a
third member of the firm under the style Finch, Snook & Finch. In 1893 that partnership
was terminated by the return of Edward Finch to Des Moines, Iowa, while Daniel O.
Finch retired from practice. Mr. Snook remained the sole survivor of the firm and ever
since has continuously maintained his offices in the Burke building. Daniel O. Finch
died in Los Angeles, California, in 1909. During the past fifteen years Mr. Snook has
practiced law alone save that in some important cases he has been associate counsel with
other lawyers or they with him. He has been connected with much important litigation
and in the case of Moses vs. the United States he was called in as special counsel to assist
the late Lyman E. Knapp, ex-governor of Alaska, in what was known as the Overtime
cases.

Mr. Snook has been twice married. On the 26th of December, 1888, at Des Moines,
Iowa, he wedded Miss Mary Blanch Mosier, by whom he had two daughters, Olive and
Catherine. This marriage was legally dissolved in 1894 and on the 17th of August, 1899,
Mr. Snook wedded Donna Emeline Irons at Seattle, Washington. To them have been
born three children, namely: Dorothy Eleanor, Ruth Radnor and Herbert Ernest, Jr.

From the time when Mr. Snook was able to form an independent political opinion
he was a conservative democrat until the progressive party was organized. His sympathies
witli it were at once aroused, for he believed that its principles coincided with his own
more than those of any other party. He was a delegate to the progressive state convention
at Aberdeen in 1912 and was chosen a delegate to the national convention held in Chicago.
Mr. Snook is a Master Mason and a member of Rainier Council, No. 189, of Seattle, and
is past regent of the Royal Arcanum, belonging to Madrona Council, No. 189, of Seattle.
He is president of the New Queen Anne Improvement Club, which office he has held during
the past two years, and he stands for advancement and improvement along all those lines
which lead to the material and intellectual development of his community and which
uphold projects that are a matter of civic virtue and civic pride. He belongs to the
Washington State Bar .•\ssociation, in which his membership dates from 1905, and he is
also a member of the American Bar Association, having been elected to that honor in
1909.



HOWARD DEXTER HORTON.

.Among Seattle's native sons who are making good in business is Howard Dexter Hor-
ton, who is the secretary and treasurer of the Horton Investment Company. He was born
October 16, 1880, a son of Julius Horton, mentioned elsewhere in this volume. At the
usual age he became a public school pupil, pursuing his course through successive grades
until he had entered the high school. In 1897, however, he went to San Diego, California,
where he continued his course in the Rush high school, from which he was graduated in
1899. Later he returned to Seattle and for three years was a student in the University
of Washington, thus becoming well fitted by broad intellectual training for the activities
and responsibilities of business life. He made his entrance into the business world as one
of the stockholders of the Washington Portland Company, which he represented
as assistant chemical engineer until 1908, when he sold his interest in the business and
resigned his position. He believed that he would find a more fruitful field in real estate
operations and organized the Horton Investment Companj^ of which he has since been
the secretary and treasurer. He owns a half interest in forty-four mining claims on Bear
Creek in Alaska and he also has large placer and copper interests near Baker City, Oregon.
His investments have been carefully and judiciously made and many of his interests are
now dividend paying properties.

On the 25th of July. 1905, in Mount Vernon, Washington, Mr. Horton was united in



1092 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

marriage to Miss Gladie E. Alaxfield, by whom lie has a son, Howard Dexter, Jr.. who is
four years of age. He gives his poHtical allegiance to the republican party and is a Cath-
olic in religious faith. Mr. Horton is a young man, but has already become W'ell estab-
lished as an active factor in the business circles of Seattle. He is a believer in the city
and its future and is an enthusiastic advocate and supporter of measures pertaining to the
general good, while at the same time he carefully and wisely directs his individual affairs
along lines leading to success.



CHARLES A. THORXDIKE.

Charles A. Thorndike, cashier of the Seattle Brewing & Malting Company of Seattle,
and a stockholder in the Citizens Bank of Georgetown, was born in Haywards, Cali-
fornia, August 15, 1868, a son of E. A. Thorndike, who in the winter of 1868 removed with
his family to Seattle, where he became city marshal and the first chief of police. Our
subject's grandfather was one of the first regents of the Territorial University and a
charter member of St. John's Lodge, A. F. & A. AL. of Seattle.

Charles A. Thorndike. then an infant, spent his youthful days in this city, attending
the public schools and the Territorial University, now the University of Washington, until
his seventeenth year. He afterward sold papers and did bill posting, becoming the first
bill poster of Seattle. After a few years spent in that connection he secured the con-
tract for seating the following theaters : Vesler's Hall, Frye's Opera House, the Alhambra,
Turner Hall and the Seattle Theatre. He continued in that business until 1900, when he
sold his contract. During that period, or in 1887 and 1888, he clerked through the daytime
in the Golden Rule Bazaar, after which he spent a year as a salesman with the Hirshberg
Clothing House. He next engaged with Jones & Hubbell, feed and grain merchants, as
bookkeeper, and afterward became a member of the Seattle Cereal Company, which suc-
ceeded Jones & Hubbell. Of the new concern Mr. Thorndike became treasurer and assist-
ant manager, so continuing until 1903, when he became secretary and treasurer of the
Graham Folding Box Company. Severing his connection with that firm in 1904, he engaged
with the Seattle Brewing & Malting Company as cashier, which position he now fills.
He is likewise a stockholder in the Citizens Bank of Georgetown and is the cashier of
the Occidental Realty Company.

On the 6th of February, 1895, in Blair, Nebraska, Air. Thorndike was united in mar-
riage to Miss Hortense Victoria Davis, by whom he has a son, Charles J., who is nineteen
years of age and a high school student. Mr. Thorndike exercises his right of franchise
in support of the men and measures of the republican party and his religious belief is that
of the Christian Science church. He is well known in Seattle, where practically hi.s
entire life has been passed and where each successive step in his business career has brought
him a broader outlook and wider opportunities.



JOHN G. KOENIG.

John G. Koenig became a resident of Seattle in 1890, removing to this city from St.
Paul. He was born in Wittenburg, Germany, in 1840, and when fourteen years of age came
to the new world with a sister. He first settled in Cincinnati and there attended school,
while later he became a resident of Peoria, Illinois. In his boyhood he learned the baker's
trade but did not follow that pursuit. He also acquainted himself with the shoe and leather
trade, to which he devoted a number of years. During the period of his residence in Illi-
nois he responded to the covmtry's call for troops to aid in crushing out the rebellion, enlisting
from Chicago as a member of the Thirteenth Illinois Cavalry. He joined that com-
mand as a private and was advanced to the rank of quartermaster. He served for three
years and three months, being on acti\e duty in Arkansas and other sections of the south-



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 1093

west, during which he participated in a number of liotly cuntested engagements, his entire
military record being most creditable.

After leaving Peoria Mr. Koenig made his way to St. Paul, where he engaged in the
wholesale confectionery trade and manufacturing. He build up a large business in that
connection and for many years remained a resident of St. Paul. In i8go he removed
from St. Paul to Seattle, where he established the J. G. Koenig Candy Company, conduct-
ing a candy manufactory and wholesale business on First avenue, where he remained until
fire destroyed his plant. He afterward removed to Western avenue and devoted his undi-
vided attention to the conduct of the business, which became one of the successful manu-
facturing enterprises of the city. He built up an extensive patronage, his ramifying trade
connections covering a broad territory, while the house ever maintained an unassailable
reputation for the reliability as well as the enterprise of its methods. The business is now
being carried on under the name of the Koenig Candy Company by his widow and his sons.

It was in St. Joseph, Missouri, in 1867, that Mr. Koenig was united in marriage to Miss
Mary M. Houck, and they became the parents of eight children, of whom six are living:
Ida May, the wife of F. L. Evans; Walter G., John G. and Elmer C, connected with the
Koenig Candy Company; Amelia B., the wife of H. C. Hillman; and Lydia C. The
children were largely reared and educated in St. Paul, and the sons have become worthy
successors of their father in business, controlling an extensive trade which under their
direction is constantly developing.

The death of Mr. Koenig occurred July 4, 1910, after a residence of twenty years in
Seattle. He was active in support of all that was good and beneficial for the community.
In politics he was a republican and, while he never sought nor desired public preferment,
he cooperated in many plans and projects that resulted beneficially for Seattle. He pos-
sessed a most charitable disposition that found tangible evidence in his generous assistance
to many benevolent projects. He was active in the church, was a lover of home and at
all times stood loyally for those interests and principles w'hich are of greatest worth to
the community and to the individual. Leaving the parental roof and making his initial
independent step in the world when a youth of fourteen, he walked in the paths of honor
and ujirightness, his life characterised by enterprise, diligence and commendable purpose.



GEORGE W. STRYKER, D. D. S.

Dr. George W. Stryker, a partner of Dr. J. M. Meyer in the ownership and conduct
of the Hospital of Oral Surgery and Dental Hygiene, situated in the north wing of the
seventh floor of the Northern Bank & Trust Company building at Seattle, was born in
Corvallis, Oregon, September 15, 1868, a son of Dr. David and Cclia Maria (Stone) Stryker,
of that city. The family originated in Holland and its earliest representatives in America
were among the first settlers of New York. In Central Park today there stands a stone
which commemorates this first Stryker and in another of the city's parks stands the old
home of Jacobus Stryker.

In 187J the parents of Dr. Stryker became residents of Dayton. Washington, where
they remained until 1875, when they returned to Oregon where the wife and mother passed
away in 1884. The father afterward removed to Portland, where he spent his remaining
days and was there laid to rest.

Dr. Stryker attended the public schools and also the ^^"illamette University, after
which he entered the Tacoma College of Dental Surgery, later renamed the North Pacific
College, at which time it was removed to Portland. Dr. Stryker was graduated from the
Tacoma institution in 1898. He first practiced in Snohomish for two years and during his
residence there was united in marriage to Miss Alice Hatton. a daughter of Josiah and
Ruth Ann (Varney) Hatton, who were pioneers of Minnesota, whence they removed to
Washington. To Dr. and Mrs. Stryker have been born two children. Joseph Warren and
Gretchen.

After two years spent in Snohomish Dr. Stryker removed to Everett. Washington,
where he remained until 1915. He afterward formed a partnership with Dr. J. M. Meyer



1094 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

in the Hospital of Oral Surgery and Dental Hygiene. This institution is limited to treat-
ment of diseases, injuries and malformations of the mouth, jaws and associated parts,
prophylaxis from a standpoint of dental preservation and the treatment of pyorrhoea
alveolaris. There is a growing demand for this special field of practice and Drs. Meyer
and Stryker are now concentrating their efforts along this line, the institution being a most
valuable one to the citizens of Seattle and the northwest. Its patronage has steadily
increased and the representatives of the medical and dental professions of the northwest
strongly indorse the institution and its effective work. Dr. Stryker has served in vari-
ous offices in connection with the profession, including that of secretary and of president
of the state board of dental examiners and president of the State Dental Society. He was
also chairman for the state of Washington for the Fourth International Dental Congress,
which was held in St. Louis, Missouri, in 1905. He also belongs to the state, county and
national dental societies and he is among those whose initiative spirit makes them leaders
in the field of scientific investigation and progress.

Dr. Stryker was for seven years a member of the National Guard of Oregon. He
joined the organization as a private and rose to the lieutenancy of Company C of the
First Regiment, which afterward became Company F of the Second Regiment at the time
of the Spanish-American war. It was this command that acted as a body guard to Gen-
eral Merritt when he took possession of the city of Manila. While in Everett Dr. Stryker
was active in civic affairs, supporting at all times those projects and movements which he



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 133 of 142)