Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 136 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 136 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


came to know all about property valuations and had comprehensive knowledge of the real
estate upon the market. In time he won a large clientage and his business reached gratifying
and profitable proportions.

In Portland, Oregon, in 1881, Mr. Merchant was united in marriage to Miss Minnie M.
Stewart, who was born in that state and accompanied her parents on their removal to
North Yakima, Washington. To Mr. and Mrs. Merchant were born four children, as
follows : Claude Clay ; Grace B., who is the wife of a Mr. Walters and resides in Mel-
bourne, Australia : Lula, who was born at Third and Vesler streets and has passed away ;
and C. C, also deceased, who was born when the parents lived at Second and Cherry
streets, on the present site of the Hoge building.

Mr. Merchant was one of the first members of the Chamber of Commerce and at all
times he stood for progress and upbuilding in his city, cooperating in all the movements
of the Chamber for advancing the business connections of Seattle. He belonged to the
McKenzie clan, a Scotch society, the Ancient Order of United Workmen and to the
Christian church — associations which indicated much of the nature of his interests outside
of business. He guided his life by high and honorable principles and the warm regard of
all who knew him was freelv accorded him.



HENRY LOHSE.



Henry Lohse has long been a prominent factor in building circles of Seattle as vice
president of the Sound Construction Engineering Cotnpany, in which connection he has
won a gratifying measure of prosperity and an enviable reputation. His birth occurred at
Olympia, Washington, on the 20th of January, 1872, his parents being Henry and Meta
Lohse. Following his graduation from the Seattle high school, in 1887, he worked at the
bricklayer's trade for ten years and on the expiration of that period embarked in business
as a contractor and builder. He is now serving as vice president of the Sound Construction
Engineering Company of Seattle and is thus active in the management of a successful and
steadily growing concern. His real estate holdings in this city are also extensive and entitle
him to recognition among its substantial and representative business men.

On the 25th of December, 1900, in Seattle, Mr. Lohse was united in marriage to Miss
Kathren Hanna, a daughter of Nick Hanna, who was for years a member of the Seattle
police force and vv'hen he retired from the service was presented by the citizens with a
gold watch set with diamonds. Our subject and his wife have two children, Dorothy and
Gertrude.

In his political views Mr. Lohse is a republican, loyally supporting the men and meas-
ures of that party. He is identified fraternally with the Benevolent Protective Order of
Elks and also belongs- to the Arctic Club, the Commercial Club and the Seattle Athletic
Club. In this city the circle of his friends is extensive, for his life has ever been upright
and honorable in all relations and his business success has been commendably and worthily
won.



THE SEATTLE COMMERCIAL CLUB.

The Seattle Commercial Club is a live, go-ahead, influential organization that is ap-
preciated for its accomplishments. Every city has its Commercial Club, and Seattle, the
largest city in the northwest, has the largest organization of the kind in the same territory.
-\ man or a body of men is judged by accomplishments and on this basis the Seattle
Commercial Club is in a class by itself. The club is just a little more than ten years old.
The last has been its banner year. In that time the membership has doubled ; constructive
effort has been and is the order of the day and matters of incalculable value to city, county,
state and Alaska have been accomplished.



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 1113

Tlie Seattle Commercial Club produces results by the combined influence of its more
than twelve hundred united and energetic members rather than by large contributions from
a handful of capitalists. The struggling man in any line of business is not overshadowed
in this club. His voice is as strong as that of the captain of industry; his membership and
work on committees is as highly valued. The man of wealth and the "little fellow" both
get a square deal ; the first gets no more, the latter no less.

To enumerate but a small part of what this club has accomplished would require the
space of many pages of this publication. Suffice to say the club has the faculty of being
right on all large questions. A perusal of its record will prove this assertion. Few, if any,
organizations of business and professional men and workers in all lines approach the Seattle
Commercial Club in influence at Washington, D. C. The club, its activity, its sound, reason-
able but positive views and suggestions are known to every cabinet member, senator and
congressman and to the president himself. Its petitions to members of congress invariably
receive respectful attention and splendid cooperation. Within a single year the club has had
as its guests seven members of the president's cabinet, who have e.'cpressed their apprecia-
tion of its work to our representatives at Washington, D. C. Seattle has every reason to be
proud of its progressive Commercial Club. It is made up of a fine body of men, every one
of wliom is a loyal booster for his city, state and country.



MALCOLM EADIE SMITH. M. D.

Dr. Malcolm Eadie Smith, a most successful surgeon, who is accorded a prominent
position by the consensus of public opinion and also by his professional colleagues and
contemporaries, was born in Monona. Iowa, ."Xugust 6, 1871, a son of James Malcolm and
Ophelia (Eadie) Smith. He is descended from Samuel Chapin, the founder of Spring-
field. Massachusetts. The paternal line is traced from England, while the maternal an-
cestors came from Scotland, the maternal grandmother of Dr. Smith being a Malcolm.
Her son, James Malcolm Smith, was a Presbyterian minister, who was graduated from
Toronto University and then became identified with the college, devoting all his time to
the upbuilding of the church. He was a writer of considerable prominence, making fre-
(|uent contributions to magazines along scientific and religious lines. He died in Grand
Rapids. Michigan. .April <). 1009, at the age of seventy-two years. His father's i)cople were
of a prominent Connecticut family, established there in the period of the earliest coloniza-
tion. Later representatives removed to Massachusetts and members of the family served
in the Revolutionary war. In early manhood Rev. James Malcolm Smith wedded Ophelia
Eadie, daughter of Robert Eadie, an old settler of Bradford, Canada, the family having
taken up their abode at that place when Mrs. Smith was a little maiden of three summers.
She was born in Glasgow. Scotland, and was taken by her parents to the new world.
She, too, passed away at Grand Rapids, Michigan, her death there occurring in 1006. when
she was sixty-seven years of age. She was the mother of five children, of whom four
are living.

The only son. Dr. Smith, was the fifth in order of birth. He was educated in the
public schools of Monona, Iowa, and in the high school of Waterville. Minnesota, from
which he was graduated in 1889. .'\s his father was connected with the ministry, the family
lived at various places, so that his education was obtained in a number of schools. After
leaving the high school Dr. Smith took up the study of medicine and was graduated from
the medical department of Columbia University of New York, known as the College of
Physicians and Surgeons, winning his M. D. degree in 1905. He was graduated from the
French Hospital in U)07 and began practice as chief surgeon for the Copper River & North-
western Railroad Company in Alaska, where he remained until 1908, spending a year at the
town of Katalla. Because of the illness of his father at Grand Rapids he returned in the
summer of 1908 and remained there until the fall of 1909, and while there was associated
with Dr. Richard R. Smith. In the fall of 1910 he returned to Alaska and during the
remainder of that and the following year was chief surgeon for the railway at Cordova.
Later he returned and took post-graduate work, studying from January until June. 1912,



1114 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

at various laboratories. In July of that year he began practice in Seattle, where he con-
fines his attention exclusively to surgery. He has become an expert in that field, his skill
being based upon a comprehensive knowledge of the component parts of the human body
and a thorough understanding of the onslaughts made upon it by disease. He belongs to
the King County Medical Society, the Washington State Medical Society, tlic American
Medical Association and is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons.

On the 14th of February, 1907, at Danbury, Connecticut, Dr. Smith was married to
Miss Susie Weichert. a native of Connecticut, born at Danbury, and a daughter of Frederick
and Josepha Weichert.

Dr. Smith is a Spanish-American war veteran. At the time of the outbreak of hos-
tilities with Spain he joined the army, serving as a member of Company G, Third New
Jersey Volunteers. He now belongs to the College Club, to the Seattle Athletic Club of
Seattle and he is a member of the Plymouth Congregational church. He belongs to an old
Xew England family and possesses the spirit of patriotism and loyalty which ever char-
acterized his ancestors in their relation to their country. In his professional connections
his service is characterized by a conscientious regard for the duties and obligations that
devolve upon him, and his skill has continually increased with his study and investigation
so that his ability is now widely recognized in the city in which he makes his home.



I



JOHN E. HUMPHRIES.



John E. Humphries, who at the time of his demise was judge of the superior court of
the state of Washington for King county, had been in the active practice of law for more
than forty years, having been admitted to the bar in Rockville, Indiana, in 1872. He then
engaged in general practice and also filled the office of deputy prosecuting attorney for
Parke county, Indiana, until 1878. He was born at Calhoun, Illinois, March 17, 1852, and
he belonged to the Humphries family of Virginia. His father, Francis McFarland Hum-
phries, was a native of Augusta county, Virginia, and after attending college at Crawfords-
ville, Indiana, studied law and engaged in practice in Olney, Illinois, becoming recognized
as one of the prominent representatives of the bar at that place. He was a member of the
Scotch Presbyterian church and conformed his life to its teachings. He passed away two
years after the birth of his son, John E. Humphries, leaving his wife and little son without
money or property.

John E. Humphries, however, seemed to have inherited his father's inclination toward
the practice of law and from early boyhood shaped his course toward the realization of
his ambition in that direction. By working on the farm, clerking in stores and performing
service of a similar character he obtained the means which enabled him to pursue his
studies in the common schools of Olney, Illinois, and of Rockville, Indiana, until he was
able to teach school. He afterward followed the profession for some time in Indiana and
devoted his leisure hours to the study of law, while later he was for a short period a law
student in the Indiana State University. He was then admitted to practice at the bar of
that state and, as previously mentioned, was continuously a represenative of law practice
from that time until his death. In 1878 he resigned his position as deputy prosecuting
attorney of Parke county, Indiana, and removed to Crawfordsville, that state, where he
was in partnership with Hon. M. D. White, Judge A. D. Thomas, G. W. Paul and W. W.
Thornton, now a law writer of Indianapolis. Judge Humphries participated in the trial of
nearly every important case in Montgomery county. While in Indiana he was attorney
on several noted cases, including the state versus John W. Cofi'ey, James Dennis and
Toseph W. Stout. After eleven years' residence in Montgomery county he located in
Seattle, where he resided until his demise. He removed to the west with Colonel Will H.
Thompson and they formed a law partnership with Judge Humphries' former partner,
George W. Paul, of Indianapolis. He afterward practiced in partnership with Colonel
Thompson and E. P. Edsen under the firm name of Thompson, Edsen & Humphries, and
still later he was in partnership with William E. Humphrey and Harrison Bostwick under
the name of Humphries, Bostwick & Humphrey. When that connection was discontinued



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 1115

lie engaged in practice with George B. Cole under the firm style of Humphries & Cole,
William E. Humphrey having been elected to congress, at which time he withdrew from
the firm. While in Crawfordsville, Indiana, he had been a partner of Judge W. W.
Thornton, who is judge of department No. i of the superior court in Indianapolis, while
Mr. Humphries was judge of department No. 4 of the King county superior court in
Seattle, and William E. Humphrey, also formerly associated with him in practice, is a
United States congressman from this state.

Judge Humphries engaged in the active practice of law until elected to the superior
court. He was an indefatigable student and worker and early commenced gathering a law
library, to which he added as opportunity offered until he had one of the largest private
law libraries in the state. He always kept abreast with the profession in its onward march
and, in fact, had risen to a position of leadership. He was the author of many important
laws which are now to be found upon the statutes of the state. A celebrated case in which
he acted for the defense was that of Grover versus Zook. The latter was mayor of Ballard,
Washington, and was sued for breach of promise. He pleaded as an afiirmative defense
that the woman was suflfering from tuberculosis. A verdict of ten thousand dollars was
recovered by the plaintiff in the superior court, but Judge Humphries appealed to the
supreme court, where the decision was reversed and the case dismissed on the ground
that it would be contrary to public policy for consumptives to marry.

In 1908 Mr. Humphries was a candidate for judge of the supreme court and it was
believed for many days that he had been nominated, but on the final count lie did not get
the office. In 1910 he was one of the leading candidates for United States senator. He
was regarded as one of the best trial lawyers in the Pacific northwest and in addition he
was an entertaining, instructive and ofttimes eloc|ucnt public speaker and took an active
interest in all public aflfairs. It was universally conceded that he made the same splendid
success as judge of the superior court that he made in the private practice of his pro-
fession and his friends feel that much higher honors awaited him had he lived.

It was on the nth of March, 1888, at Crawfordsville, Indiana, that Judge Humphries
was united in marriage to Miss Estelle M. Freshman, a daughter of the late Rev. Dr.
Charles N. Freshman, of Canada, a Methodist clergyman. Judge Humphries was well
known in fraternal circles, being a Royal Arch Mason, a member of the lodge and canton
of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, a member of the lodge and Uniform Rank of
the Knights of Pythias, of the Elks, the Moose, the Druids, the Woodmen of the WorUl
and the Modern Woodmen of America. In politics he was always a republican, prominent
in his party, and his opinions carried weight in its councils. He passed away May 29, 1915.
.\ week before he had risen from a sick bed to appear in court and he thus remained
active to the last, save for a few days prior to his demise. At the time of the funeral
services all of the departments of the superior court with one exception where it was
impossible to do so were closed and the courthouse flag was hung at half mast. The
public and profession entertained for him the warmest regard and his colleagues at the
bar recognized him as a man of superior ability, who carved his name high on the keystone
of the legal arch. The Seattle bar held memorial services in his honor and passed resolu-
tions of respect. Thus was closed the life record of one who had long figured prominently
in the northwest and who left the impress of his individuality and ability for good for all
time upon the history of the Seattle bar.



DUNCAN GEORGE INVERARITV.

Duncan George Inverarity, who now has charge of the publicity work of the Seattle
Carnival Association, was formerly actively engaged in the practice of law and was for
several years manager of the Grand Theater. He was born January 19, 1868, in Dunedin,
New Zealand, a son of William David and Rosalind H. H. Inverarity. The father was a
captain of the Ninety-second Gordon Highlanders and served during the Crimean war. The
mother was a daughter of Colonel Henry Wallace-Dunlop. who served as English consul
general to Greece about 1855.



1116 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

Duncan G. Inverarity received liberal educational advantages as he attended Keble Col-
lege. Oxford, and Kings College, London, while several years after his emigration to this
country he entered the University of Michigan, from which he was graduated LL. B. in 1891.
In 1885 he was employed as a civil engineer on the Northern Pacific Railway and aided in
surveying the route for that road over the Cascades. Having decided that the legal pro-
fession offered better opportunities, he entered the University of Michigan, where he pur-
sued his law studies. In 1892 he entered the office of Stratton, Lewis & Oilman. For eight
years he was actively engaged in the practice of law and in 1907 he turned his attention to
the theatrical business, becoming manager of the Grand Theater of Seattle in that year. He
.remained in that connection until 191 2 and proved very capable as a manager, securing excel-
lent attractions for his theater and also making it profitable from a financial standpoint. In
1912 he took charge of the publicity work of the Seattle Carnival Association and has demon-
strated his fitness for the position which he holds.

Ur. Inverarity was married on the 28th of October, 1903, in Seattle, to Miss Anna A.
Peterson, a daughter of William Peterson. Her grandfather was colonel of the King's
Guard in' Denmark and her father also served in the Danish army. The family has resided
in America since 1883. To Mr. and Mrs. Inverarity have been born two children, Wallace
Duncan and Robert Bruce.

Mr. Inverarity is a republican and fraternally is associated with the Masonic order. He
is well known in club circles, holding membership in the Seattle Yacht Club, the Metropolitan
Club, the Ad Club, the Tillikums of Elttaes, the Press Club and the Canadian Club. His
religious faith is that of the Protestant Episcopal church. He has succeeded in accomplish-
ing successfully all that he has undertaken and his proven integrity has gained him the
respect of his fellow citizens, while personally he is popular.



SCOTT PERCY WOODIN, M. D.

Dr. Scott Percy Woodin, engaged in the practice of medicine at Seattle and also acting
as assistant physician at the County Hospital, was born in Jamestown, New York, February
7, 1862, a son of Samuel P. and Sarah Elizabeth (Clark) Woodin. His youthful days were
devoted to the acquirement of an education in the public and high schools and following
his graduation he secured a situation in a newspaper oflice, being connected with the
reportorial department for a year. He afterward attended the University of Michigan and
was graduated in medicine with the class of 1886. He then returned to his native city,
where he opened an office and continued an active follower of the profession for three
years.' At the end of that period he came to the Pacific coast, settling first at San Jose,
California, where he practiced until 1898. He then came to Seattle, where he continued in
active professional work until 1900, when he went to Nome, Alaska, and devoted a year to
mining. He then again came to Seattle and established his home and office in Georgetown,
then a suburb of the city but now included within the corporation limits. He became the
first health officer of Georgetown after its incorporation as a city and several times was
reelected to that position. He is now filling the office of assistant physician at the County
Hospital.

On tlie 24th of November, 1904, in Georgetown, Washington, Dr. Woodin was united
in marriage to Imogene Ashley Huntsman, by whom he has one child, Diadama, who is a
public school student. Mrs. Woodin is a representative of an old American family and is
a direct descendant of the Hon. Thomas Ashley, who was born in Rochester, Massachusetts,
June 15, 1738. He became one of the early settlers of Vermont and took part in the
Revolutionary war. He was one of the famous "Green Mountain Boys" and participated
in the battle of Ticonderoga. He was also chosen a member of the legislature several
times. Mrs. Woodin's father was Thomas Hartness Ashley, of Savannah, Missouri. Dr.
Woodin is also descended from an old American family as his mother was a member of
the Webster family, which settled in what is now the state of Connecticut in 1636 and of
which Noah Webster, the lexicographer, was a representative. The Doctor's daughter,
Diadama, represents eleven generations of Americans.




DR. SCOTT P. WOODIX



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 1119

Dr. Woodin gives his political allegiance to the republican party, while his religious
faith is that of the Congregational church. Dr. Woodin is a Mason, being a member of
Century Lodge, No. 208, F. & A. M., of Seattle, and he also belongs to the Arctic Club and
to the Alumni Association of the University of Michigan, while his professional connections
are with the King County Medical Society, the Washington State Medical Association and
the American Medical Association. He is able and conscientious in his practice, loyal to
the interests of his profession and is constantly promoting his knowledge by wide reading
and investigation, for anything that tends to bring to man the key to the complex mystery
which we call life is of interest to him.



CHARLES HENRY COBB.



Charles Henry Cobb, a Seattle capitalist, was born on his father's ranch at Lincoln,
Penobscot county, Maine, July 31, 1852, a son of Leonard and Mary Elizabeth (Donnell)
Cobb. The latter was a daughter of Thomas Donnell, who was of Scotch-English descent
and removed from Ellsworth, Maine, to Lee, that state, about .1825, becoming one of the
hrst settlers of the latter place. Leonard Cobb also removed to Lee from the Lincoln ranch
when his son Charles was a small boy. At that time the state of Maine gave a donation
claim of one hundred acres to all settlers in that locality and all the additional land they
desired to purchase for twelve cents per acre.

Charles Henry Cobb was educated in the usual manner of farm lads with the addition
of three terms at the Lee Normal Academy. When only fifteen years of age he assisted his
father in the logging business, driving a six-ox team in hauling spruce and pine logs from
the vast Maine forests to the Passadumkeag river. At fir«t his father was associated with
a partner under the firm name of Cobb & Thurston, but later Charles Henry Cobb succeeded
the latter, the firm style becoming Leonard Cobb & Son. Later another firm was organized
as Cobb, Brown & Fitzgerald and of this firm Charles Henry Cobb became the business head.
The firm operated extensively on the head waters of the Penobscot, Machias and Schoodie
rivers. They secured many important contracts, one being for the largest tannery in the
world, that of F, Shaw Brothers in Washington county, Maine. Over one hundred men
were employed, which was a large working force for those days, so that Charles Henry Cobb,
although then only twenty-two years of age. had heavy responsibilities to shoulder. He not
only had the practical superintendence of all the work but secured the contracts and managed
the business with the greatest success. He was not well pleased with Maine as a lumber
center, however, and when a severe cut was made in contract prices he decided, as so many
successful men have done, to come to the west. He went by rail to San Francisco in April,
1S76, and from there to Seattle on the old steamer, Dakota. Sixteen young men left the east
with Mr. Cobb, half of them coming to Seattle and the others remaining in California. With
the former was his brother, George A. Cobb, who died in Washington in 1890.

Mr. Cobb started his operations in Washington by means of a logging camp four miles



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 136 of 142)