Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 14 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 14 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the Grouts arriving in 1630. On leaving Pelham, Massachusetts, the parents of A. H.
Grout removed to Providence, Rliode Island. The father died at the age of seventy-
eight years, while the mother passed away at the age of seventy-four. Their family num-
bered nine children, seven of whom reached adult age, and three of the sons are now
residents of Seattle, C. H. Grout being a manufacturing jeweler of this city, while M. M.
Grout is secretary of the Seattle Hardware Company.

Arthur H. Grout was a little lad of but six summers when he became a resident of
Providence, where he acquired a public school education and in the high school pursued
a double course, taking both the scientific and classical work. Early in his business career
he took up office work and office management and one of his marked business character-
istics is the ability with which he handles men and directs the labors of those who serve
under him. He came to Seattle in 1896 and accepted the position of first bookkeeper with
the Seattle Hardware Company but after fifteen months resigned to take the position of
bookkeeper with the Western Mills. In that connection he was advanced to the position
of office manager and after five years' service left to become secretary for the Allen Nelson
Mill Company. In 1896 he was appointed secretary of the civil service commission, with
which he has since been associated. During this period his duties and responsibilities have
increased tenfold and he is now the chief executive in the office. As secretary of the
commission the city charter makes Mr. Grout labor commissioner, which is a position of
great responsibility. He entered upon his work holding to high ideals and from these
he has never deviated. If anything, he has advanced his standards as he has recognized
the possibilities of the office and he takes justifiable pride in the fact that he has made
his department one of which all Seattle is proud, as it ranks second to none among the
public employment offices in the entire country, whether city or state offices. It has held
this proud position through many years, owing entirely to the efforts, ability, public spirit
and conscientious service of Mr. Grout. He has charge of the civil service commission
examinations and it is characteristic of him that in all of his public work he is actuated
by the spirit and not by the letter of the law and brings to bear sound common sense
in passing upon an individual or a situation.

On the i8th of July, 1889, in Seattle, Mr. Grout was united in marriage to Miss
Lettie E. Ackerman, of Detroit, Michigan, by whom he has one son, Howard Wallace, who
is a graduate of the Lincoln high school. Mrs. Grout takes an active and helpful part
in church and Sunday-school work. Both parents are active members of the Green Lake
Methodist Episcopal church and Mr. Grout was formerly Sunday-school superintendent
of the First Methodist Episcopal church. He has always been very active in church and
Sunday-school work and in his religious faith is found the origin of his high standards
of life, to which he closely adheres in every public and private relation. He is a member
of the Municipal League and there is no one who is today more anxious or earnest in
promoting the best interests of the city.



WILLIAM EARL WALDO.



Prominent among the successful osteopathic physicians of Seattle is Dr. William
Earl Waldo, who was born at Muncie, Indiana, July 25, 1885, a son of Henry Clay and
Anna Waldo. He attended the public and higli schools of his native city and then, deter-
mining upon the practice of osteopatliy as a life work, entered upon preparation for that
calling as a student in the American School of Osteopathy, from which he was graduated
with the professional degree on the 31st of May, 1910. He was president of his class
during his senior year at college and became a member of the college fraternity. Iota Tau
Sigma, of which he was the national president in 1910.

Dr. Waldo was fortunate in his selection of Seattle as his home city and the scene
of his life work for the reason that the science and practice of osteopathy had had the
trail blazed by those pioneers, Drs. W. A. Potter, A. E. Peterson and William Snell, who
located here in 1896, and were the first of that school practicing in Seattle. Others came,
osteopathy grew in public favor as a successful factor in the treatment of disease and



108 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

more and more the profession was accorded recognition by the general public. On the
4th of November, 1905, the King County Osteopathic Association was organized, com-
posed of all the graduate osteopaths in Seattle. The Washington State Osteopathic Asso-
ciation was organized January 19, 1901, and was incorporated in 1905. Its membership
at the beginning numbered but twelve or fifteen and today there is a membership of
one hundred and twenty, who practice throughout the state. Annually meetings are
held, at which scientific subjects are discussed and questions relating to the science of
osteopathy are brought up for consideration. Osteopathy was legalized by an act of the
legislature approved March 18, 1909. All osteopathic physicians now take the same exami-
nations as the medical practitioners and are accorded the same rights. Dr. Waldo was
elected president of the State Association on the 23d of May, 1914, to serve one year, and
has been reelected to that office. In 1911 he was honored with the presidency of the
King County Osteopathic Association and served for two years. In 1913 he was elected
a trustee of the American Osteopathic Association for a three years' term, a fact which
indicates his high standing among his professional brethren. His pronounced ability has
gained him prominence in the profession and success in practice and he is liberally
patronized.

Dr. Waldo is well known in Masonic circles as a member of Seattle Commandery
of the Knights Templar, and of Nile Temple of the Mystic Shrine. He belongs also to
the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, the Earlington Golf Club and the Metropolitan
Lumbermen's Club, and the nature and breadth of his interests is furthermore shown in
the fact that aside from those organizations he has membership in the National Geographic
Society, the Rotary Club, of which he is a trustee, and the Municipal League. His influ-
ence is always on the side of progress and improvement and he stands for all those forces
which are most effective in advancing the general good.



EDWIN JAV BROWN, D. D. S., L.L. B.

Dr. Edwin J. Brown stands out prominently, a representative of that sturdy, able and
efficient class known as "self-made men." Denied the advantages under which most men
enter the professions, by hard work, untiring energy and close application, he fitted himself
for the practice of dentistry and later the law.

Dr. Brown was born in Oregon. Ogle county, Illinois, October 30, 1864, a son of Steven
and Margaret (Kittleton) Brown. The father's people were residents of the state of New
York prior to the Revolutionary war, owners and operators of a chain of flour mills, and
strong sympathizers with the British crown. At the close of the war, desiring to live as
British subjects, the family removed to Canada, there reestablishing itself in the milling
business. It was in that country that Dr. Brown's father was born in the year 1812. In
1864, however, Steven Brown crossed the border with his family, and became a resident
and citizen of the United States, establishing him home at Oregon, Illinois, where Dr.
Brown was born.

After attending a country school known as Dr. Light's school about four miles from
Oregon and Ober school, two miles from Chaney station. Dr. Brown became a pupil
in the ward primary schools at Grand Haven, Michigan. He left those schools at the fourth
grade and after some years he attended the Wells Preparatory School at Oregon, Illinois,
in the year 1882.

His attendance at this school and further education were very soon thereafter inter-
rupted by his being thrown entirely upon his own resources. When at the age of nine
years he began to face the realities of life as a newsboy and, against the protest of the
entire Brown family, annexed a boot blacking department. The meager education he
obtained until leaving the Wells Preparatory School was gained at such time as was
permitted by the requirements of this business. After leaving the school he obtained a
broader experience and a broader understanding of many lines of business. By successive
employment as bellboy, sailor, shingle packer, barber and traveler, he gained a personal
acquaintance with, and a close insight into the lives of many classes of people.




DR. KDWIX I. ['.KOW'X



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 111

In the fall of 1881 the Doctor experienced his first call to the west, and with a school
boy chum, William Axford, started for Yellowstone Park proceeding as far as Minneapolis
and St. Paul, but the climate was not suitable for their light weight clothing and they
returned to a climate more in harmony with their wardrobe.

Again in the spring of 1884 he turned to the far west, visiting California and proceeding
up the Pacific coast as far as Portland, Oregon, where he remained until February. 1885,
at which time he returned east to Kansas City, Missouri. Still a boy just passing his teens
he opened a barber shop in Kansas City in which business he was engaged until taking
up the study of dentistry and while attending the Western Dental College, from which he
received a degree in 1897. In the fall of 1895 he opened a dental office there under the
preceptorship of Dr. W. J. Brady, now dean of the Western Dental College. On his
graduation from that institution he was offered a position of resident demonstrator and
professor of prosthetic dentistry and dental technique in the College of Physicians and
Surgeons at San Francisco, California, but remained in Kansas City in order to take up
the study of law. While engaged in the practice of dentistry he attended the Kansas City
School of Law from which he was graduated in June, 1899.

It had always been his intention after his visit to the Pacific coast i^ '1884 to make
that section of the country his future home as soon as circumstances would permit and in
February, 1901, he arrived in Seattle and in association with Dr. Fred Steine purchased
the Brown Dental Offices from Dr. C. P. Brown. Very soon thereafter he acquired his
partner's interest in the practice and has devoted the larger part of his time to his practice
until the present. In the fall of 1903 he organized the law firm of Parker & Brown, which
association, however, was discontinued in January, 1913. His interests aside from his
dental offices are in mining properties in Oregon, Washington and Alaska, and in the
development of orchard and farm lands in Grant county, Washington.

In Kansas City on the 3d day of May, 1886, Dr. Brown was married to Miss Lelia
Dell McClelland, a daughter of Calvin P. McClelland, of Ottawa, Kansas, and Fannie
(Logan) McClelland, a cousin of General John A. Logan. Dr. and Mrs. Brown have
become the parents of three sons; Edwin James, who married Miss Frances Stevenson
of Seattle and is a practicing attorney whose biographical record appears on other pages
in these volumes ; Kirk Charles, who is now studying medicine at the University of
Colorado ; and William Clyde, who married Miss Margery Draham of Seattle, and who
is now devoting his time to agriculture on his father's ranches in Grant county, Washington.

In politics Dr. Brown holds the views of the socialist party. He is active in many
charities, he takes an active interest in all questions of municipal and public welfare and
has been active and prominent in all lines of political endeavor. He is a member oi the
Ancient Order of the United Workmen, of the Modern Woodmen of .America and the
Woodmen of the world. He also is a member of the Seattle Commercial Club, the
Washington State Art Association and the Seattle Athletic Club, being an entliusiast in all
forms of athletics and out-of-door sports, particularly automobiling.



GEORGE BANCROFT ADAIR.

George Bancroft Adair, of the George B. ."Xdair & Son Company, dealers in general
machinery and electrical lines, is well known as a representative business man of Seattle.
He has been a resident of the city since 1883, arriving here when Seattle was emerging
from villagehood to take on the advantages and opportunities of a growing metropolis.
For a long period his name was connected with the hardware trade, but he is perhaps even
better known as one vifho was most active in bringing the railroad to terms through a boy-
cott of the Northern Pacific instituted by the Seattle Business Association, thus securing
legitimate freight rates for the merchants of the city and such railroad accomodation as
Seattle was entitled to.

Mr. Adair was born at Romulus, Seneca county, New York, July 13, 1847, a son of
Henry and Mary Adair. The father was of Scotch and tlie mother of Holland Dutch



112 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

ancestry, represented in this country from the seventeenth century. Henry Adair went
from New York to California with other pioneers in 1851 and was afterward joined there
by his wife. They remained upon the Pacific coast until 1870 and then returned to New
York, where the father passed away in 1884 and the mother in 1886.

George B. Adair attended the public schools until thirteen years of age and then
served a three years' apprenticeship at learning the hardware business and the details of
office work. He ne.xt entered Ames College at Syracuse, New York (now the University
of Syracuse), in which he completed a full English and commercial course, including com-
mercial law and banking. Before finishing his college work at the close of the Civil war
in 1865 he was tendered a position in the office of Watrous & Company, a pioneer whole-
sale hardware merchant of Elmira, New York. He remained with that firm until the
fall of 1868, when, believing a change in climate would prove beneficial, he emigrated to
California, accepting a position as buyer and assistant manager with Hooker & Com-
pany, then one of the oldest and largest hardware firms on the Pacific coast. This was two
years prior to the completion of the Central Pacific Railroad, the first trans-continental
line to the Pacific coast. He remained with Hooker & Company until the spring of 1872,
when he joined Charles J. Pillsbury and J. G. Hussey, formerly of Cleveland, Ohio, in
organizing the firm of Pillsbury, Hussey, Adair & Company. They established a jobbing
hardware business, which some years later was merged in a new organization known as
the Gorden Hardware Company of California. Mr. Adair was connected with that busi-
ness until the fall of 1883, when he was attracted to the northwest and removed to Seattle,
where he organized a new firm known as the Gorden Hardware Company of Seattle. This
firm purchased the Henry L. Yesler property, now known as the Silver building, at the
foot of Cherry street, and there Mr. Adair erected in 1884 a new building for the business.
This building and its contents were eventually destroyed by the big fire of June 6, 1889,
but his was one of the first firms to rebuild and reenter the business field, Mr. Adair
remaining in the capacity of treasurer and general manager until May, 1904, when he
withdrew from the Gorden Hardware Company and entered business independently, leav-
ing his son with the old firm. About a year later, his business having increased to a large
extent, he admitted his son to a partnership, changing the name from George B. Adair to
that of George B. Adair & Son. This firm was continued until January i, 1907, when a
portion of the business was sold to Fairbanks, Morse & Company of Chicago and New
York, the firm having twelve large branches throughout the United States in the principal
cities, and the stock which they purchased from Adair & Son constituted the nucleus of
a new house for Seattle, with George H. Adair as general manager. This left George B.
Adair still acting as general northwestern correspondent and distributor for the Giant
Powder Company of California, in which general capacity he had served since 1883, in
addition to carrying on other business interests.

On the 1st of January, 1912, having retired from the management of Fairbanks, Morse
& Company, George H. Adair resigned his position and a new firm was formed— the
present one of George B. Adair & Son Company. They purchased the business of Kil-
bourn, Clark & Company, dealers in general machinery and electrical lines. This busi-
ness with other additions is now being conducted by the father and son at Nos. 514-516
First avenue South, in Seattle. Mr. Adair has long figured as a most active and promi-
nent factor in commercial circles of the coast, controlling mercantile interests of large
volume and importance, his establishments always constituting a strong element in the
commercial activity of the cities in which he has operated.

On the loth of August, 1871, at San Francisco, Mr. Adair was married to Miss Martha
Elizabeth Jones, a daughter of Seneca and Elizabeth Jones. Mrs. Adair was born in the
house which her father took from Philadelphia on a sailing vessel around Cape Horn to
California in 1850 and the first Methodist church and Sunday school were organized in that
house. To Mr.' and Mrs. Adair have been born five children: George Henry, who mar-
ried Estelle Paige Cole and is now his father's associate and partner in business;
Georgia May, the wife of Frank E. Dingley; and Florence Leslie, Winifred and Ruby

Jean, all at home.

For the past sixty years Mr. Adair has been connected with the Methodist church and
he has been a member of the Seattle Arctic Club since its organization. When Watson C.



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 113

Squires was appointed territorial governor of Washington Mr. Adair was appointed quar-
termaster on his staff, which position he held during the governor's term of office.

In the winter of 1883, following the boom of the previous two years, business in
Seattle was for months very much depressed. The Chamber of Commerce existed in name
only, meeting only on special occasions by courtesy of the Seattle council in their chambers,
having no secretary, Bayley Gatzert, who has since passed away, being the president. Mr.
Adair at that period was instrumental in forming a business organization known as the Seattle
Business Men's Association, of which he was elected the first president. One of the first
moves made was to secure suitable offices for the use of the association and the Chamber
of Commerce was at once invited to make use of these offices. The new organization also
appointed Captain E. M. Carr, who has since passed away, as secretary for the Chamber
of Commerce, defraying all e.xpenses up to the time of Seattle's great fire of June 6, 1889,
which destroyed the whole business portion of the city. Later the Business Men's Associa-
tion was reorganized and became the Seattle Business Credit Association, one of the
largest and most efficient organizations on the Pacific coast, Mr. Adair being the oldest and
first member of the new organization. The original organization was the first association
to take up a personal fight with the Northern Pacific Railway Company, which after build-
ing a branch line from Tacoma to this city refused to operate it and shipped all freight
coming by rail and destined for Seattle and north to Tacoma and then forwarded the
same some days later to Seattle by small boats, while the only passenger service provided
to and from Seattle was by way of a small steamer which left this city at 4 A. M. and
reached Tacoma to connect with trains for Portland or California at 7 A. M., or for the
east at 3 P. M. The membership of the Business Credit Association embraced every
shipper of the city at that time and they quietly formed a compact that they would not
give the railway company one dollar in patronage until such date as they would accord the
city such railroad accomodation as it was entitled to. This compact remained in force
about ten days and had cost the railway company the loss of several hundred cars of
freight and the report reached Wall street. New York, that Seattle had declared a fight
and had withdrawn its entire business from the road. At that time President Oakes and
his cabinet visited Seattle and asked the association what it was they desired. He was
informed that if as president of so great an organization as the Northern Pacific he did
not know what a city of some ten thousand or more population required and was enti-
tled to he had better go home and resign his office. Two days later the first railway mail
coach that ever entered the city arrived with its first passenger train. The same day a
freight train was hauled to Seattle, this being the first mail, passenger and freight service
by rail that Seattle had ever had although the railroad had been built under President Vil-
lard some two years before. Today Seattle can boast of having among her stanchest
friends the Northern Pacific Railroad. The above is but one of the many fights and strug-
gles made by tlie body of struggling business men to secure their rights and bring about
the natural development of the city. Mr. Adair also served for forty days in 1890 on
Seattle's first charter commission. In fact he has been closely associated with many of the
public enterprises and projects which have brought about present-day conditions, making
Seattle a great metropolitan center of the northwest. He has closely studied every situa-
tion and his keen sagacity and sound judgment have constituted important elements in
solving difficult problems.



CHARLES C. THOMPSON.

Charles C. Thompson, superintendent at Seattle for the Metropolitan Life Insurance
Company, was born at Greencastle, Indiana, August 15, 1878. His father, Thomas J.
Thompson, was a native of Martinsville, Indiana, born February 8, 1847, and his life rec-
ord covered the intervening years to the 6th of November, 1913, when he passed away at
Bluff City, Kansas. He had devoted his life to agricultural pursuits and was successful.
During his residence in Kansas he also took an active interest in local politics and affairs
of general interest and filled various public offices. He had previously served as a soldier



114 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

of the Civil war, enlisting in the Thirty-third Infantry Regiment of Indiana, with which
he served for three years and eight months as a private. In an engagement he was cap-
tured and was confined in Libby prison. He married Sarah Wood, a native of Indiana,
who is now a resident of Sheridan, Wyoming. Of this marriage there were born five
children.

Charles C. Thompson, the third in order of birth, attended the country schools of Polk
county, Missouri, and was graduated from the Teachers Normal School at Dunnegan
Springs, Missouri, in the class of 1898. His early life was spent upon a farm and during
his boyhood he worked in the fields. His first independent venture was in teaching and
after a period of three years devoted to teaching in the schools of Polk county, Missouri,
he went west to Helena, Montana, where he engaged in the life insurance business as a
representative of the Metropolitan Insurance Company of New York. He acted as a
solicitor for only five months and then recognition of his ability on the part of superior
officers led to his appointment as assistant superintendent at Helena, which position he
filled for three years at Helena and at Butte, Montana. He was then transferred to Port-
land, Oregon, where he remained for a year and later was made inspector and special
assistant, in which capacity he traveled for eighteen months. In September, 1906, he
returned to Butte as superintendent, acting in that capacity until November, 1908, when
he was transferred to Seattle as superintendent, which office he has since capably filled.
His wise management and efficiency are indicated in the fact that during his incumbency
at Seattle the business of the office has been quadrupled. His record in Butte for effi-
ciency and for the amount of business done in the office is also unparalleled. He is like-
wise vice president of the Life Underwriters Association, a local organization. When he
entered insurance circles he made it his purpose to thoroughly acquaint himself with every
phase of the business and his comprehensive knowledge and his executive ability have
brought him to the position of responsibility which he now occupies.

On the 26th of June, 1906, in Salem, Oregon, Mr. Thompson was united in marriage



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 14 of 142)