Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 141 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 141 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

years of his intense business activity his efforts have been directed along lines which have
led to public progress and prosperity as well as to individual success and the effect of his
labors and his influence can scarcely be measured. Mr. White now makes his home at
No. 220 South Bunker Hill avenue in Los .'\ngeles but is a frequent visitor in Seattle, and
the city will ever claim and honor him for what he did for her benefit.


One of the strong members of the Seattle bar is Judge Joseph M. Glasgow, his strength
arising from the fact that his knowledge of the law is comprehensive and e.xact, his prepara-
tion of cases thorough and exhaustive. He knows that he is in the right when he enters
upon the trial of a case and nothing can thwart him from the purpose of securing justice.
His name has been associated with much of the most important litigation tried in the
courts of the district in recent years.

Judge Glasgow was born on a farm seven miles northeast of Washington, in Wash-
ington county, Iowa, July 22d, 1861, a son of Samuel Black and Phoebe Anne (Robertson)
Glasgow. The father, who was born in Adams county, Ohio, in 1830. died in Seattle in
igo/, while the mother, born in Washington county. New York, in 1829, died in Washington
county, Iowa, in 1869. Mr. Glasgow had been previously married in Ohio, in 1852, and had
two children by his first wife — William Bebb, who was born in Ohio, in 1852, and is now
living in Whittier, California, and Elizabeth, who was born in 1854 and died in Washington
county, Iowa, in 1885, after devoting her life to teaching. The former is a prosperous
fruit grower and farmer and is married and has five children. Having lost his first wife,
Mr. Glasgow was married in Jefferson county, Iowa, in 1857 to Phoebe A. Robertson and
they had two children, the younger being Anna, who was born in 1863, and died in Seattle,
in 1899. She was married to David Wilson of Great Falls, Montana, in 1891, and at her
death left a daughter Doris, who was born in Seattle, in 1896, and is now a sophomore in
the University of Washington. For his third wife Mr. Glasgow wedded Mrs. Mary A. Arm-
strong, whose son by her first marriage was Dr. James T. Armstrong, a physician who spe-
cialized in treatment of the eye, ear, nose and throat at Omaha, Nebraska, and afterward
established the school for feeble minded at Beatrice, Nebraska, acting as its superintendent
to the time of his death in 1902. By his third marriage Mr. Glasgow had two children, Eliza-
beth Grace, who was born in Washington county, Iowa, in 1871, and Ruhamah, born in the
same county in 1873. The former was graduated in 1901 from the University of Washing-
ton and was president of her class. She is now a teacher of Seattle. The latter was mar-
ried in 1898 to Samuel Archer of Seattle and they have two children. The Glasgows come
of Scotch-Irisli ancestry, and the family have retained the characteristics of the Scotch race
including the religious belief and nearly all of the immediate family of Joseph M. Glasgow,
save liimself, being United Presbyterians and nearly all of his relatives Presbyterians or
Covenanters. His great-great-grandfather, Robert Glasgow, was a Scot and emigrated
from Belfast, Ireland, with his two brothers in 1765, settling in Rock Bridge county, Virginia.
From one of these brothers is descended Ellen Glasgow, the author, of Richmond, Virginia.
Robert Glasgow, who served as a soldier in the Revolutionary war, removed to Adams
county, Ohio, sixty miles above Cincinnati, in 1893. The great-grandfather was William
Glasgow, a soldier of the War of 1812. The grandfather was Joseph Montgomery Glasgow,
who was born in 1806 and was named for his maternal grandfather. He too was a Revo-
lutionary war soldier and pioneer settler of Missouri. He owned slaves, but having conscien-
tious scruples against slavery manumitted his bondsmen. James Montgomery Glasgow, the

'^ . ■




1 ^^


1^^ k




^^K;;' -Jj^HI




v<V I




grandfather of J. M. Glasgow of Seattle, was an abolitionist, living across the river from
a slave state, Kentucky, and in a district where the anti-slave agitation was hottest. His
home became a station on the famous underground railroad. In the '50s he removed west
to Washington county, Iowa, and for many years was a member of the board of county
supervisors there.

In tracing the ancestry in thj maternal line it is found that William Robertson, great-
great-grandfather of J. M. Glasgow, emigrated from Scotland in 1758, and settled in eastern
New York. He was accompanied by Edward Small, the great-grandfather of Mrs. Phoebe
A. Glasgow, and both were soldiers of the Revolutionary war. John Robertson, grandfather
of J. M. Glasgow, was born in 1787, was a tanner by trade and developed a profitable busi-
ness in Cambridge, New York. He was on a visit to Ireland when the War of 1812 broke
out and with some diiTiculty managed to get back, after which he participated in the struggle.
His son, James Edward Robertson, now deceased, succeeded to the father's business and
at one time was internal revenue collector of his district by appointment of President
Cleveland. Another son. Dr. William Hamilton Robertson, was a surgeon in the Union
army during the Civil war and in March, 1868, became a pioneer physician of Seattle, at
which time the city had less than one thousand population. Here he practiced his pro-
fession until September, i86g, when he removed to California, where he died in 1873. He
married a daughter of Sarah M. Renton and stepdaughter of Captain William M. Renton,
the millionaire founder of the Port Blakeley sawmills. They had two children. Mrs.
W'illetta Robertson Hendrickson lives with her husband and two sons in San Francisco. Mr.
Glasgow has a faint recollection of his grandfather, John Robertson, when at the age of
four years he went on a visit with his mother to her old home in Cambridge, New York,
and of seeing the old house, more than one hundred years old, in which his mother was
born. Soon after the mother and her children returned home the family removed from
their old home, in which J. M. Glasgow was born, into a new seven-room, frame house
which was always painted white with green blinds. The plaster was not dry in the new
home and the dampness caused Mrs. Glasgow to contract a severe cold which developed
into tuberculosis, and after an illness of about four years she passed away in October, i86y.
She was a well educated woman and had taught school and so instructed her children in
reading and in religious matters, being a devout member of the United Presbyterian faith.
Mr. Glasgow attended the Center school, a mile and a half from his home, where one of his
early recollections was of the boys and girls skating on the ice on a pond nearby, and
some Bohemian words, which he learned from some Bohemian boys who lived near the
schoolhouse. still linger in his memory. He remembers also seeing prairie chickens standing
almost as thick as they could be upon the fence around his house. He was but eight years of
age at the time of his mother's death, after which his older half-sister, Lizzie, then a girl of
fifteen years, kept house until the father married again in 1870. Mr. Glasgow bears testi-
mony to the splendid character of his stepmother, a devout Christian woman, whose kind-
liness was ever manifested where there w-as sickness or distress, or where she could
serve any one. Although there were three sets of children in the home, she never mani-
fested any difference in her treatment of those of the father's first two marriages. She
capably managed the household affairs and displayed an energy in all things that became
contagious. Many improvements were made on the farm including drainage by tiling and
the building of a large basement barn. Mr. Glasgow has pleasant recollections of the old
home with its maple trees around the house, its groves of willow and maple and its orchards
of fruit trees. Stock raising was an important feature of the place for they had a large
herd of cattle including some thoroughbred shorthorns. The family attended the United
Presbyterian church, there being a house of worship about half a mile from their home
and another a little more than a mile to the south. James Glasgow attended the district
school through its summer and winter sessions until he reached the age when his labors
were of worth on the farm, after which he attended school only in the winter. He was
ambitious to irriprove every opportunity for reading and study and took a keen interest in
the literary society of the neighborhood, developing what was considered quite a talent
for writing. When about sixteen years of age he edited the society paper making it most
popular. A newspaper of that day was most valued, at a period when public libraries were
not to be had at demand, but on the Sabbath day, the father, being a devout churchman.


it was not permissible to even read a secular paper and still less were the children allowed
to whistle or engage in any form of amusement or recreation. They had many relatives
living in the neighborhood, however, and m.any pleasant hours were spent in visiting among
them. The influence of the home was one which had marked effect over the children. The
father was an honorable and upright man of intellectual tastes, a great reader and possess-
ing a retentive memory. For some years he was an ardent republican and warm advo-
cate of General Grant, but afterward became an equally stalwart prohibitionist.

Joseph M. Glasgow left home on the 6th of April, 1880, possessing at that time about five
dollars in cash and some clothing. He sought work in the coal mines at Delta, in Keokuk
county, about thirty miles west of Washington, Iowa, and went down the shaft to where
the men were working a few hundred feet under ground. .\s he could not secure a posi-
tion there he started to What Cheer, a new coal mining town, a few miles to the north.
There he was equally unsuccessful in obtaining employment and started to walk to the
Quaker neighborhood north of the town, thinking to obtain farm work. This time he was
more successful for he was employed on a farm, where the regular hand was ill with the
measles, until the man had recovered about three weeks later. He ne.xt proceeded on
foot to South English where he chanced to meet a man who had a lot of maps, atlases,
charts, etc., and induced him to become a sales agent. Mr. Glasgow purchased the stock and
started out in the country to dispose of it. Large maps of the United States which he pur-
chased for seventy-five cents, he sold for two dollars and a half, and after he had disposed
of all he had he secured work on the section in South English at one dollar and ten cents
per day, paying four dollars a week board at the hotel. He awaited the arrival of more maps
and atlases which he had ordered from Chicago. With the arrival of the stock that he had
ordered, he started for Muscatine, Iowa, selling maps along the way. He passed within eight
miles of his old home and of his relatives at Riverside, Iowa, and says that he never remem-
bers a time when he was so utterly homesick and wretched, but he was too proud to give in.
At Muscatine he crossed the river into Illinois, and sold maps down the state as far as Keiths-
burg, where he took passage on the Libby Conger, one of the Anchor Line boats, for St.
Louis. Although he had always lived within si.xty miles of the Mississippi he had never
seen the river until he reached Muscatine, and his trip down to St. Louis made a tre-
mendous impression upon him, as did the buildings, the thoroughfares, and the life of the
city. He remained there for only a brief period, however, as he knew no other work than
that of farm work and desired to secure emplo>Tnent in the harvest fields, for harvesting
paid the best wages. He proceeded to Shiloh, in St. Clair county, Illinois, which was a
typical German village, and after attending a German picnic on the intervening Sunday,
he tried to get work on Monday and without success and again started on his way. He
found there were many idle men in that section of the country, and as he proceeded on
his way he saw that two negroes were following him. He tried, by walking rapidly, to out-
distance them but was unsuccessful. After trudging on for hours he threw his grip and
bag upon the ground under the trees but near the railroad track and laid down to rest on
the green grass. It was a warm and pleasant night and he soon fell asleep. A long freight
train rumbled by, but other than this he heard nothing until he felt a crash upon his fore-
head and put up his hand to find that the blood was trickling down. He sprang up and
there were the two negroes, one in front with a revolver in his hand, only about eight feet
awaj'. Mr. Glasgow ran down the railroad track and a bullet whizzed by his neck as he
ran. Seeing a house in the distance, about a quarter of a mile ahead, he ran across a
plowed field and seeing that his assailants were not following, slackened his pace. When
he reached the house his forehead was bathed and the mistress of the home, a German
lady, treated him with great kindness. Her two sons then hitched up their team and with
Mr. Glasgow drove back to the place of the assault but found that the negroes had taken
his grip with all of his clothes but had left the maps. The next day he proceeded to Mari-
sea, Illinois, where he obtained work on the farm of a Scotchman by the name of McCurdy,
who was a United Presbyterian. It was in such an environment that Mr. Glasgow had
been reared and there he felt much more at home. He worked for the ordinary wages
of the farm laborer until harvest time when he was paid two dollars and fifty cents per
day, after which he worked through the period of stacking and haying for two dollars per


day. Later he was employed on a thresliiiig machine in the Shiloh, Illinois, neighborhood
until October.

On the day that Garfield was elected Mr. Glasgow started by steamer from St. Louis
to Grand Island, Arkansas, hoping to secure a position at school teaching there. On reach-
ing his destination he found that the district contained many negroes and that the people
of the locality were very unintelligent. He was among the "poor white trash" of the
south. He was not successful in finding a public school in which to teach until the follow-
ing summer when he taught a three months term in a negro school, near Collins Station,
Arkansas, taking the examination for a teacher's certificate at Monticello, in Drew county.
In the interim he had canvassed for books, making his home most of the time with Mr.
Neice, with whom he worked at Planting, hoeing and digging cotton. He also spent much
of his leisure time in reading and study, one of his books being Macaulay's history of Eng-
land. In the fall of 1881 he worked for a time in a construction camp in railroad building
thep. went across the river into Mississippi among the cypress swamps and timber and cut
cord wood, afterward being employed on the levy at Boliver Landing, receiving two dollars
and a half per day. Life in that camp was the worst experience he ever had. There were
no comforts, all the food was of poor quality and his companions were the railroad Irish.
His life in the "sunny south" was not all sunshine and he was glad to make his way north-
ward, taking passage on a Mississippi river boat for St. Louis. At Grand Tower, Illinois,
the boat was laid up on account of ice in the river and with three companions he walked
to Murphysboro, Illinois, and there took a train for St. Louis. Soon afterward Mr. Glas-
gow secured employment in the zinc works at Corondalette or South St. Louis and shortly
afterward he obtained a position in the Vulcan Steel Works, being assigned to the con-
verting department. His first niglit there he had a narrow escape from death. He worked
on a platform near the roof in the end of the building where the flues were. On the side
of the platform which he had approached from tlie floor it was about two feet to the floor
which he supposed surrounded the platform. While at work he lost his balance and
stepped off of the platform to find that there was no floor on the other side. In the fall
he threw his arm over a steel rail that had one end resting on the platform and he found
himself gazing downward to the groimd about eighty feet below. He pulled himself up and
on the floor and then there came to him a realization of the predicament that he w-as in,
realizing that he had had an almost miraculous escape from death. After working at the
X'ulcan Steel Works for a time he became ill and was forced to go to the hospital. After
his recovery he worked at threshing in St. Clair county, Illinois, until the fall of 1880. At
the end of the tlireshing season he removed to Nemaha, Nebraska, having just previouslj
attained his majority. His uncle, Gilbert Glasgow, now deceased, was a resident of that
county and Mr. Glasgow was soon afterward joined by his sisters, Lizzie and Anna, and the
three began housekeeping together in Peru, Anna attending the Nebraska State Normal
school at that place. It was there that Mr. Glasgow received his first pecuniary assistance,
inheriting a little over five hundred dollars from his grandfather, John Robertson. While
there he jireparcd to take the teacher's examination and won a first grade certificate. At
that time there were only few schools in the county that had not already engaged teachers.
One school was notoriously tough, but Mr. Glasgow accepted it and after an encounter with
the belligerents he had no further trouble and finished his term. He then started to take
some special work at the normal school, but had only got fairly started upon the term, when
his sister Anna had a hemorrhage of the lungs and his sister Lizzie was already sufifering
from tuberculosis. He resolved to send the latter home and take the former to Montana,
which he accordingly did. In April, 1883, they travelled in an emigrant train from Omaha,
Nebraska, to Ogden Utah, then proceeded northward over the Utah & Northern railroad to
Deer Lodge. Montana and by stage over the mountains to Helena and on to Fort Shaw on
the Sun river and from that point to August. Montana, one hundred miles north of Helena.
All this brought many new experiences into Mr. Glasgow's life. He had never before seen
a mountain and was standing on the topmost bale of hay in a hay car, piled high above the
roof of the other cars, when he obtained his first glimpse of the eternal Rockies, appearing
just like two little snow banks on the horizon ahead of them.

His innate love of learning, never dormant in Judge Glasgow, led him in the course
of years to enter upon preparation for the bar as a law student in the State University of


Michigan at Ann Arbor. Following his admission to the bar he entered upon the active
practice of his profession in his native town in partnership with J. F. Henderson, but
beleving that there were still better opportunities to be found in the growing west, he left
Iowa in June, 1887, in company with Charles E. Patterson, and made his way to Seattle,
reaching his destination in the latter part of the month. The two young men entered upon
practice in partnership under the firm style of Patterson & Glasgow and were soon accorded
a liberal clientage, their ability winning them almost immediate recognition. In the fall
of 1892 Judge Glasgow was elected to the municipal court bench, taking the office on the
loth of January, 1893, and serving for a term of four years. It was during his course on the
bench that one of his most strongly marked characteristics became known to the public —
his determination to adhere to a course which he believed to be right. Times were hard
in Seattle then and the police seemed to make it their duty to arrest all of the unemployed
people on the charge of vagrancy. Judge Glasgow, however, did not believe that because
a man was not at work he was a vagrant, especially if he wanted employment but could
get none. The police continued their arrests and the Judge continued to discharge such, and
although the newspapers came out against him, he never wavered in the course that he knew
to be right and which public opinion now justifies.

In his private practice Judge Glasgow has had sotne very important cases. Among
those which have called especial attention to him are the Peter Miller cases, known as "the
third degree." Miller possessed a pleasing personality and the qualities of good comrade-
ship and when in the east had fallen in with a gay crowd. A crime was committed and on
circumstantial evidence he was found guilty and sentenced to ten years in Sing Sing.
Although he was released in less than five years, he was embittered, knowing that he was
innocent. His family cast him out and he drifted west. Arrested on suspicion in Seattle,
he claimed that he was given "the third degree." Judge Glasgow took up the case as his
attorney and Mr. Miller claimed that the police, to revenge themselves on Judge Glasgow for
his opposition to their course when on the bench, fastened upon Miller every case on record
in which the criminal had not been found. Twenty charges were brought up against him, all
criminal charges, but when a conviction was secured in the lower courts Judge Glasgow
appealed to the higher courts and secured reversals. At length he was arrested on a bur-
glary charge in Walla Walla. In the meantime lie had been making good and had been
appointed librarian in Walla Walla. Judge Glasgow affirms that the boy is innocent and that
he will soon have him at liberty. In one case in which he was tried there were fifty wit-
nesses, the case being continued for three weeks. He was tried on one occasion for the
murder of McMahon, but the verdict was eleven for acquittal and one for conviction.

Another case which Judge Glasgow has handled with remarkable ability is known as
the "trap gun" case. A roomer named Manfidello was suspicious of the honesty of every-
one, so in his trunk of valuables he fixed a gun trap; his landlady managed to unlock
and open his trunk and was killed by the gun trap. The man was convicted in the lower
court but Judge Glasgow succeeded in getting a reversal of the decision in the supreme court.

In his political views Judge Glasgow is a democrat, but although a man of firm con-
victions on politics as on other questions, he is not ambitious for office. He prefers to con-
centrate his energies upon his law practice and is quiet and self-contained when handling
a case in the courts but never seems to lose sight of a point, weak or strong, that the
opposing counsel brings forth. His mental alertness enables him to grasp every phase of
any situation and if he believes he is in the right nothing can swerve him from the pursuit
of his purpose.


G. I. C. Barton, vice president and general manager of the wholesale packing business
of Barton & Company, Seattle, is a son of the late William Barton of Quebec, Canada, in
which province he was born February 3, 1873, and later received his education, graduating
from school at an early age. It was at this time his brother, James Barton, for many years
connected with the Canadian Pacific Railroad, persuaded him to "come west," and he
arrived in Brandon, Manitoba, where he entered tlie employ of Burchill & Howie, whole-


sale meat packers, and started in to Itarii the business. His advancement was rapid, and in
the seven years spent there he represented them in various capacities, and only severed
connection with the firm to go north in the rush of '98, where in Dawson City, Yukon ter-
ritory he established the wholesale and retail meat business known as Barton Brothers.

In 191 2 feeling that the opportunities for "big business" lay "outside," and wishing to
e.\pand, he secured the Seattle interests of the \akima Sheep Company, and established in
this city the firm of Barton & Company, with packing house, stock yards, etc. on Spokane
avenue at East Waterway, where the famous Circle "W" products are produced, under
United States government inspection. And while a comparatively young firm, their pack-
ing house furnishes steady employment for two hundred men, the capacity of the plant
being daily one hundred cattle, five hundred sheep and six hundred hogs at this date, 1916.

Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 141 of 142)