Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 15 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 15 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


to Miss Minnie Ireton, a native of Ohio and a daughter of Obe Ireton, representing an
old Oregon family. At the time of her marriage Mrs. Thompson was serving as secre-
tary to the secretary of state of Oregon. She is now the mother of two children : Charles,
born in Butte, Montana, in May, 1907 ; and Dorothy, whose birth occurred in Seattle, Wash-
ington, on the 19th of January, 1909. The family residence is at No. 714 First avenue,

North.

Mr. and Mrs. Thompson are members of the Presbyterian church and he belongs also
to the Masonic fraternity, in which he has attained the Royal Arch degree, to the Earling-
ton Golf and Country Club, to the Metropolitan Club and to the Chamber of Commerce.
Aside from interests of a purely business or social nature he has also been active, becom-
ing a cooperant factor in many measures for the public good. He is chairman of the
health and sanitation committee of the Municipal League of Seattle and has served as a
member of the committee of citizens on tuberculosis work. In a word, he is never unmind-
ful of his public duties and obligations and seeks in every possible way to advance the gen-
eral welfare. Moreover, his business record is most creditable, for from the age of sixteen
he has been self-supporting and it has been through closely following well defined lines of
labor, through laudable ambition and perseverance that he has gained a place among the
representative insurance men of the northwest.



CHARLES HERBERT BEBB.



Charles Herbert Bebb. a well known Seattle architect, was born at West Hall, Mortlake,
Surrey, England, April 10, 1856, a son of Henry Charles Lewis and Jessie (Green) Bebb,
the former of English and the latter of Irish birth. The son pursued his early education in
private schools at Kensington, afterward attended King's College in London and a prepara-
tory institution at Yverdon, Switzerland. He was also a student in the University of
Lausanne (Switzerland) for some time, after which he returned to London, continuing
his study under a private tutor. He pursued a private course in civil engineering in the




CHARI.KS H. BEBB



.^v^



\



HISTORY OF SEATTLE ' 117

School of Mines in London but before his graduation, however, he accepted an offer to
go to South Africa, where for five years he was connected with the engineering department
of the Cape government railways in the western division, in the construction work of the
Cape Town-Kimberley Railway. That work covered the period between the years 1877
and 1882. In the latter year, work being suspended, he returned to London and later in
the same year came to America. It was his intention to secure a position with the
Illinois Central Railroad, which was then building its line to Texas, but when he reached
Chicago he found that there were excellent business opportunities in that city and decided
to remain there. He accepted an offer from the Illinois Terra Cotta Lumber Company
and was soon appointed its construction engineer with full charge of all of its work. In
that capacity he devoted special attention to the subject of fireproofing as related to the
requirements of the high steel buildings which were then in process of evolution, and he
soon became known as one of the most competent experts in that important line. It was
due to his personal efforts that the contract for the fire-proofing of the Chicago Auditorium,
the largest contract of its kind which had ever been awarded at that time, was given to
his company. In addition to the work on that structure, he had charge of the fire-proofing
of the Chamber of Commerce building, the Monon block and many others of importance.
After five years, however, he resigned his position with that company to become super-
intending architect with the firm of Adler & Sullivan, of Chicago, remaining with them
for four years, during which time he gained new laurels in his profession and added to
his already enviable reputation. While still with that firm, in 1890, he came to Seattle
to assume charge of the erection of the projected Seattle Theater and Hotel building at
the corner of Second avenue and University street, but financial complications followed
the failure of the Baring Brothers and the enterprise was abandoned, after which Mr. Bebb
returned to Chicago.

A little later, however, he once more came to Seattle and made permanent settlement.
He accepted the position of architectural engineer for the Denny Clay Company, with
which he was connected from 1893 until i8g8. At the end of that period he embarked
in business for himself as a practicing architect and has met with conspicuous and well
merited success. Under his direction has been built the Frye Hotel, the Athletic Club,
the Stander Hotel, the Cyrus Walker building, the Hoge building, the New Seattle Times
building and other public buildings and many private residences, the latter including the
homes of William C. Baring, F. S. Stimson, Harry Whitney Treat, A. S. Kerry, H. C.
Henry, C. F. White, E. A. Stuart, C. H. Cobb, William Walker and John Campbell. Mr.
Bebb is associated with Carl F. Gould and his firm laid out the accepted grouping plan
for the University of Wasliington. Moreover, his firm has designed the first two buildings
on the Liberal Arts Quadrangle, the Home Economics building and the Political Science
and Commerce building and they are now in the course of construction. Mr. Bebb is also
the architect for the estate of Cyrus Walker and the Denny estate. He has written
extensively for the technical press on engineering subjects and in 1901 he was elected to
membership in the American Institute of Architects, a fact indicative of the prominence
to which he has attained as a representative of the profession. He was also a delegate
to the international convention of architects held in Vienna, Austria, in 1907 and he was
elected a fellow of the .American Institute of Architects in 1910, while the same year he
was elected a member of the Royal Institute of Arts of London, England, and the American
Federation of Arts, Washington, D. C. He was appointed expert adviser to the state of
Washington under Governor Hays' administration and conducted the Washington state
capitol competition. In addition to the buildings previously mentioned that he has erected,
mention should be made of the First Church of Christ, Scientist, and various buildings of
the Alaska-Vukon-Pacific Exposition, including the Washington State building, the Good
Roads, Fisheries and King County buildings, beside many warehouses and factories. He
is also architect for the park board of the city of Seattle. He likewise has important
financial interests and has served on the board of directors of the Union Savings & Trust
Company, occupying that position for three years.

In Chicago, in 1882, Mr. Bebb was united in marriage to Miss Virginia Rutter Burnes,
a daughter of Dr. Arthur Pue Burnes, of Ellicott City, Maryland, a claimant to the estate
of the earl of Derwentwater, who was the ninth earl and last of the line. Dr. Burnes

Vol. Ill— G



118 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

served with distinction in the southern army and was surgeon-in-chief of the Jordan White
Sulphur Springs Hospital at the time of the close of the Civil war. To Mr. and Mrs.
Bebb has been born a son, Joseph C, who was married to Aubrey Lewis, a daughter of
Dr. Lewis, chief surgeon of the United States Pacific Squadron, now deceased. They have
one daughter, Virginia A. C. Bebb, born in 1912.

In his political views Mr. Bebb has always been a stalwart republican since age
conferred upon him the right of franchise and, while never a politician in the sense of
office seeking, he became the first chairman of the board of appeals of the city of Seattle,
serving for three years, after which he resigned. Fraternally he is a Mason of the
Scottish Rite, in which he has attained the thirty-second degree. He belongs to the Univer-
sity Club, the Seattle Golf and Country Club, the Rainier Club, the Seattle Athletic Club,
the Engineers Club, the Ranch Gun Club and the Firloch Club. Official honors have come
to him in connection with his profession, for on three different occasions he has been
elected president of the Washington State Chapter of the American Institute of Architects.
He is a member of the Northwest Society of Civil Engineers in addition to the organizations
already mentioned which are of a strictly professional character. He has made architecture
paramount to other interests of his life that have to do with the public and his concentration
and devotion to his profession has gained him notable prominence as one of the leading
architects of the northwest. ,- ■



HERMAN FRANKLIN TUCKER.

After being actively engaged in the work of designing the locks for the Panama
canal, Herman Franklin Tucker came to Seattle, regarding it as the logical place in which
to reap the benefits of canal building, feeling that this port must become the great ship-
ping center of the Pacific coast. He is now operating here as a consulting engineer and
has won a most creditable position in professional circles. A native of Weston, Massachu-
setts, he was born January 8, 1878, a son of William F. Tucker, who was a descendant of
Robert Tucker, who settled in Massachusetts in 1630. The mother, who bore the maiden
name of Lauretta Wheeler, was also a native of the old Bay state, born March 20, 1847,
and was a descendant of Roger Sherman, one of the signers of the Declaration of Inde-
pendence, and a representative of the Hunt family, one of the early colonial families of
New England. The death of William F. Tucker occurred at Weston, Massachusetts in
1907 when he had reached the age of sixty-two years.

After pursuing his preliminary education in the public schools of his native city,
Herman Franklin Tucker pursued a scientific course at Harvard, from which he was
graduated with honors in the class of 1901, winning the S. B. degree. He entered upon
practical engineering work before becoming a Harvard graduate and has continued in that
field of business activity for eighteen years. He was associated with J. R. Worcester of
Boston until June, 1906, and assisted in making designs for the Boston elevated railroad and
for the Boston subway. He was also identified with engineering projects having to do with
the erection of many of the large business and public structures of that city and assisted
in designing the reinforced concrete stadium at Harvard in 1903-4- In i9o6 he accepted
the position of engineer in charge of all designs of the Dominion Engineering & Construc-
tion Company, Ltd., of Montreal, Canada, and while thus engaged made the plans for
many concrete structures. In February, 1907, he accepted an offer as assistant engineer on
the Isthmian canal and in June of the same year was advanced to the position of design-
ing engineer, assisting Colonel Hodges in making designs for all locks and valves. He
remained in that responsible position for more than four years, resigning after all difficult
work had been completed. His next position was that of resident engineer in charge of
the construction of the Peter Bent Brigham Hospital at Boston, Massachusetts, a group
of fourteen buildings costing over a million dollars.

In November, 1912, Mr. Tucker arrived in Seattle, where he has since made his home.
He had studied conditions of the west, recognizing the value of the Panama canal to the
country, and believed that Seattle must ultimately become the greatest Pacific coast port.



HISTORY OF SEATTLE - 119

Therefore he felt that the city would be an advantageous location and since February, 1913,
has maintained an ofiice in the Alaska building, where he is practicing as a consulting engi-
neer, making a specialty of reinforced concrete and structural designs. Already he has
gained a large clientele during his residence on the coast and his work is of the most
important character.

In January, 1908, Mr. Tucker was united in marriage to Miss Wilhelmina M. Myers
at Washington, D. C, of which city Mrs. Tucker is a native. Their home is on a ranch
on Colvos Vashon island. They have three children: William Franklin, born at Culebra,
in the Canal Zone, October 5, 1908; Herbert Atherton, born in Washington, D. C, July
II, 1910; and Katherine Lauretta, born in Brookline, Massachusetts, November 16, 191 1.
Mrs. Tucker's father, a native of Germany, has been assistant secretary for the district
commissioners at Washington, D. C, for many years.

That Mr. Tucker is a man of most liberal education in the line of his profession is indi-
cated by the fact that he holds membership in the American Society of Civil Engineers,
the Boston Society of Civil Engineers, the Association of Harvard Engineers, the Ameri-
can Concrete Institute, the American Society for Testing Materials, the National Associa-
tion for Testing Materials, the Washington Association of Engineers, of which he has
been the secretary and treasurer since 1914, the Seattle Association of Members of the
American Society of Civil Engineers, and the Engineers Club of Seattle. He is also a
member of the National Geographic Society and of the Municipal League of Seattle and
he acted on the committee to investigate the Cedar river dam. He belongs to the Uni-
tarian church, while his wife is a German Lutheran in religious affiliation. They are well
known in Seattle, where they have many friends, although their residence here has been
of short duration. The value of Mr. Tucker's work and his eminence in his profession
need no special comment here, as this has been shadowed forth between the lines of this
review. Continued study, reading and research along scientific lines, combined with broad
practical experience, have given him a most enviable position among the consulting engi-
neers of the country.



WALTER LEWIS JOHNSTONE. • ■

Walter Lewis Johnstone, attorney at law, with offices in the Empire building, was
born in Sprague, Washington, October 3, 1887, a son of Knox Johnstone, who was a native
of Washington and was connected with the land department of the Northern Pacifc
Railroad Company for a number of years, his death occurring in 1903. His wife, who
bore the maiden name of Harriet Brace, was a native of Canada and with her parents
came to the state of Washington during the period of its early development. Her father,
L. J. Brace, was well known in Seattle and the Sound district, being a prominent miller
and lumberman. He was also actively connected with public affiairs of the city for a num-
ber of years. Walter L. Johnstone comes of a family of Scotch descent that was estab-
lished in Ohio in pioneer times. In the family of Knox and Harriet Johnstone there were
three children, Walter L. and two daughters : Mrs. F. L. Ratcliff, of Cheney, Washington,
whose husband is a lumberman and dealer in farming implements and automobiles ; and
Mrs. J. E. McMaster, of Seattle, whose husband is a representative of the Scottish Ameri-
can Mortgage Company of this city.

Walter L. Johnstone acquired his early education in the public schools of Spokane
and completed his course in the high school at Davenport, Washington, in 1905. He after-
ward pursued a course in the Washington State LTniversity, which he attended from 1907
until 1910, and was graduated therefrom with the degree of LL. B. However, he was
admitted to practice at the bar of the state in 1909. He settled in Seattle in that year and
since his admission to the bar has engaged in law practice, winning a good clientage that
has brought him prominently before the public in his professional connection. Thorough-
ness is one of his characteristics and it is manifest in his preparation of his cases, while
in his presentation of a cause he seems to lose sight of no point that has to bear upon the
interests of his clients.



120 - HISTORY OF SEATTLE

On the 24th of July, 191 2, Mr. Johnstone was married to Miss Frances Woolsey, a
daughter of Mrs. Harriet B. Woolsey. They have two sons. Mr. Johnstone has always
been a loyal republican, working for the good of the party but has never sought office.
He belongs to the Phi Delta Theta, a Greek letter society, and is also a member of the
Phi Delta Phi, an honorary law fraternity of the State University. His religious faith is
evidenced in his membership in St. Paul's Episcopal church of this city. He has been a
resident of Seattle since 1907 and has witnessed the wonderful development of Seattle
along numerical and material lines. He has great love for the city and is a believer in its
future opportunities and possibilities. Among its residents he has gained many friends,
for he has attractive social qualities and those sterling traits of character which ever win
admiration and respect.



JAMES B. METCALFE.



James B. Metcalfe has long been regarded as a distinguished attorney of the northwest.
A contemporary biographer has said of him: "Mr. Metcalfe is a native of Mississippi, his
birth having occurred near Natchez, in Adams county, on the 15th of January, 1846. He
is of English and Irish lineage. The Metcalfes arrived in Massachusetts in 1620 and were
numbered among the Puritan settlers of New England, Michael being the progenitor of
the family in America. Representatives of .the name removed to Connecticut and others
to Ohio, while the branch of the family to which our subject belongs was founded in
Mississippi by his father. On the maternal side the ancestry can be traced directly to
Deacon Samuel Chapin, whose bronze statue adorns the park in Springfield, Massachusetts.
Nathaniel Chapin, the grandfather of our subject, was an ensign in the Revolutionary war,
and members of the Metcalfe family were minute men at Concord and Lexington, so that
on both sides Mr. Metcalfe of this review has inherited the right to become a Son of the
American Revolution. He has availed himself of the opportunity this has given and is a
valued member of the organization. His father, Oren Metcalfe, was born in Enfield,
Connecticut, in 1810, removed thence to Ohio, and subsequently became a resident of
Mississippi, where he was married to Miss Zuleika Rosalie Lyons, a native of Adams county,
Mississippi. The Lyons family had emigrated from Ireland to this country at a very early
day in its history and had for many years resided in the south, where they were people
of very high repute and influence. Oren Metcalfe was the owner of an extensive plantation,
which he successfully controlled and operated, at the same time taking a very prominent
part in public affairs, his influence there being on the side of progress and improvement.
For fifteen years he served as sheriff of his county. The cause of education found in him a
very warm friend ; for many years he was treasurer of Jefferson College, and his wife
was president of the board of trustees of the Presbyterian Orphan Asylum. Both held
membership in the Presbyterian church, he being an elder in the First Presbyterian church
of Natchez for forty years. His life, at all times honorable and upright, was an example
well worthy of emulation and his influence and efforts were so discerningly directed that
they proved of the greatest value to the community with which he was associated. He
was subsequently called to his final rest at the age of eighty-six years and his wife passed
away in 1869. They were the parents of thirteen children, three of whom are yet living.

"James Bard Metcalfe pursued his education under the direction of private tutors
and in the schools of Natchez. In 1863 the need of the southern states to replenish the
army with additional troops caused him to offer his services to the Confederacy. He had
deep sympathy for the people of the south, and also prompted with a spirit of adventure,
he ran away from home, joining the army as a member of the Tenth Mississippi Cavalry.
His first service was in defense of Mobile, Alabama, and he had the honor of being a com-
missioned officer of his company. For some time he served under the gallant cavalry
leader. General N. B. Forrest, participating in many of the memorable engagements of the
Civil war. He remained in active service until the close of hostilities and endured all the
hardships and privations which befell the southern army during the last two years of the
great struggle. He was paroled at Jackson, Mississippi, by General E. R. S. Canby. He




JAMES B. METCALFE



,HV :



;^J



HISTORY OF SEATTLE - 123

liad many narrow escapes, bullets several times piercing his clothing, yet he was never
wounded.

"When the war was ended Mr. Metcalfe returned to Natchez. His family had suffered
much through the loss of property and in an endeavor to retrieve his fortune he accepted a
clerkship in a mercantile house, while later he was connected with a banking establishment.
He studied law at night under the direction of Judge Ralph North, spending all his leisure
moments outside of banking hours in the acquirement of his legal knowledge. Desiring
better opportunities for advancement, in 1870 he came to the Pacific coast, locating in San
Francisco, where he accepted a position in the Pacific Bank, continuing at the same time
to pursue his law studies for a year. On the expiration of that period he entered the law
office of the firm of Bartlett & Pratt, where for a year he studied most assiduously and
was then admitted to the bar by the supreme court of California. At that time the firm
of Bartlett & Pratt was dissolved and the firm of Pratt & Metcalfe was formed. He soon
entered upon a very active practice, meeting with highly satisfactory success. His ability
as a lawyer was rapidly winning him a foremost place among the able members of the bar
of San Francisco when in 1883 business called him to Seattle, and he became so deeply
impressed with the bright future that lay before the city that he decided to link his interests
with its destiny.

"In accordance with that determination, in May, 1884, Mr. Metcalfe took up his abode
in Seattle and opened an office for the practice of his profession, which he continued alone
for some time, his clientage steadily growing each year. After three or four years he
entered into partnership with Junius Rochister under the firm name of Metcalfe & Rochister.
The business relation between them was maintained for about two years, during which time
they were connected with some of the most important trials in the territory. It was during
tliat period that Mr. Metcalfe most signally distinguished himself as a jury lawyer in
the homicide case of the Washington territory versus Miller, which is found reported in
volume 3 of the Washington Territory Reports. The case attracted much attention, and ■
popular prejudice against the accused was* so strong that it was difficult to obtain a fair
and impartial trial. For two and one-half years this case was before the courts, and in
the four trials which were heard every incli of tlic ground was fought with great skill
by able lawyers in behalf of the territory. Unremitting zeal and almost unrequited toil —
for the defendant was poor — were brought to bear on the case by Mr. Metcalfe and his
able partner, and the final acquittal of their client was regarded as one of the most brilliant
victories in the history of criminal cases in the northwest. Mr. Metcalfe's appeal to the
jury was a most masterful effort, and the entire management of the defense evinced tlie
most thorough knowledge and application of the law. Since that time Mr. Metcalfe's
practice has been largely in corporation and admiralty law, in which it may be said he,
stands without a peer. While his practice has been of a very important character and his
clientage is extensive, he has also been connected with other interests. He was one of the
originators and one of the most active promoters of the first cable line in Seattle, known
as the Yesler Avenue line, running from a point near the bay to Lake Washington. His
prominence in business circles of the city is shown by the fact that he was sent as a
delegate from the Seattle Chamber of Commerce to the Pacific Board of Commerce whicli
met in San Francisco in September, 1890, and well did he represent his city's organization.
"In his political views Mr. Metcalfe is a stalwart democrat, and while in San Francisco
he attained much prominence as a politician and was sent as a delegate of his party to
represent California in the democratic national convention held in Cincinnati in 1880, at
which time General Winfield Scott Hancock was nominated for the presidency. In other
political movements Mr. Metcalfe was also very prominent and influential. He served as
captain of a company composed of Union and Confederate veterans during the Kearney



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 15 of 142)