Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 18 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 18 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


concernmg vital questions of the day. The Alasoiiic fraternity found in him an exemplary
representative and his fellow townsmen recognized in him a citizen who was always active
for Seattle's growth and benefit. Both he and his wife lived to witness great changes
in the city. The vestiges of villagehood were wiped out with the great lire and the work
of upbuilding was continued upon a larger, broader and more modern scale. Mr. Norton
was among those who had wisdom to foresee something of the changes which the future
would bring and therefore made investment in property which ultimately brought to him
a most gratifying financial return.



THADDEUS J. DEAN. M. D.

On the brow of one of Seattle's beautiful Iiills overlooking the bay stood the residence
of Dr. Thaddeus J. Dean, to which he retired in 1894, there living out the rest of his life in
quiet after many years of active connection with the medical profession, and when death
came it rounded out a life of great usefulness, the public at all times having been the direct
beneficiary of his service and of his ability. Dr. Dean was born in Indiana in 1836. His
father, M. W. Dean, removed to Lee county, Iowa, during the pioneer epoch in the history
of that locality and became the owner of one thousand acres of land there. He was a very
active and prominent man and left the impress of his individuality for good upon the his-
tory of his community. Success attended his efforts in large measure and he outfitted Com-
pany I, an engineering corps that was raised by his son. Dr. Dean, of which he became
captain and later held the rank of major. His wife was a descendant of a member of the
Morris family that signed the Declaration of Independence. Our subject was also descended
from General Anderson and was a nephew of Judge J. M. Beck of Iowa.

Dr. Dean spent his youthful days in pioneer districts of Indiana and Iowa and at the
outbreak of the Civil war enlisted in the First Iowa Regiment. He was on active military
duty altogether for about five years and raised companies in Iowa, Illinois and Missouri.
Much of the time he held the rank of surgeon and did important service for his country,
administering to the needs of the sick and wounded.

Liberal professional training was accorded Dr. Dean, who was educated in St. Louis,
being there graduated from the Homeopathic Medical College. For a time he served as
professor of obstetrics in the college in which he had pursued his course of study and
after the war he practiced in St. Louis for a time. Later he removed to Texas, where he
opened an ofiice and followed his profession for two years, at the end of which time he
again became a resident of St. Louis, remaining one of the prominent physicians and sur-
geons of that city until 1880. In that year he started across the country with his family,
traveling across the plains in wagons to Joseph, Oregon. There he opened an office and
was soon accorded a very extensive practice. He also followed his profession for a time
in San Francisco and wherever he practiced was recognized as a man of eminent ability.
It has been said of him that he was fifty years ahead of his profession in his insight into
scientific principles, into health conditions and in his prophecies concerning professional
work. He was a great reader and a man of wonderful intellect. He possessed a most
retentive memory and that keen intuition which enabled him to carefully analyze a situ-
ation, arriving thereby at just conclusions. He continued in active practice until 1894,
when he removed to Seattle, purchasing a piece of property on the brow of one of the
hills commanding an excellent view of the bay. There the remainder of his life was
passed in quiet retirement, the days being devoted to study and to other activities in which
he found an interest.

Dr. Dean was married at Nauvoo, Illinois, in 1S57 to Miss Almira Lyon, of St. Louis.
Dr. and Mrs. Dean became the parents of six children: Edwin L., Mrs. C. J. Challar •



144 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

Thaddeus M., A. F., Mrs. S. A. Ellings and Mrs. J. W. Calhoun. Dr. Dean had reached
the seventy-eighth milestone on life's journey when he was called to his final rest. He was
a Master Mason and a member of the Grand Army of the Republic and enjoyed the
highest regard of his brethren in those organizations. His life was ever honorable in its
purposes and resultant in its activities and the world is better for his having lived. He
stood at all times for progress and advancement in his profession and his professional
service was ever discharged with a sense of conscientious obligation. To his family and
friends he was most devoted and in the upbuilding and welfare of the west he took the
deepest interest, manifest in many tangible ways.



OVID A. BYERS.



Ovid A. Byers, a prominent and successful representative of the legal fraternity in
Seattle, has here practiced his profession continuously throughout the past quarter of a
century. His birth occurred in Mercer county, Pennsylvania, on the 14th of June, 1862,
his parents being Ambrose and Mary (McCracken) Byers. He proved eligible to mem-
bership in the Sons of the American Revolution through descent from John P. Bissell, a
Connecticut soldier who participated in the battles of Stillwater and Saratoga. The Byers
family came originally from northern England, and it is family tradition that the great-
great-grandfather of our subject, James Byers, was one of five of the name who suffered
with Washington at Valley Forge. Samuel Byers, the great-grandfather of O. A. Byers,
took up his abode among the pioneers of Mercer county, Pennsylvania. Thomas McCracken,
the grandfather of Mary (McCracken) Byers, emigrated to this country from Scotland.

After completing his preliminary education Ovid A. Byers entered Westminster Col-
lege of New Wilmington, Pennsylvania, which institution conferred upon him the degree
of Bachelor of Arts in 1886. He received his professional training by working his way
through college and in 1889 was admitted to the bar of the state of Washington. On
October 1st of that year he came to Seattle and has practiced his profession here con-
tinuously since, enjoying a large and lucrative clientage. On Thursday and Friday nights
succeeding the fire of June 6, 1889, he acted as special policeman. Friday morning he
helped receive the steamer Quickstep, which came from Tacoma loaded with provisions
for "Tacoma Relief Tent," and on Friday night he guarded the property of the Seattle
Post-Intelligencer at Fourth and Columbia streets.

On the 27th of September, 1897, in Seattle, Mr. Byers was united in marriage to Miss
Ellen Reid, her father being John Boyd Reid, a native of Ireland and formerly a resident
of Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Byers have three children, namely : John Reid, Marshall Sumner
and Dorothy Ovida.

Mr. Byers has been the historian of the Washington Society since 1908 and, as above
stated, is a member of the Sons of the American Revolution. His religious faith is indi-
cated by his membership in the Westminster Presbyterian church of Seattle. A man of
unimpeachable character, gentlemanly address and kindly nature, Mr. Byers ranks high,
not only in professional circles, but among people of all classes wherever he is known.



C. W. WILEY.



C. W. Wiley is marine superintendent of the Great Northern Pacific Steamship Com-
pany, with headquarters at Portland, Oregon, but he still calls Seattle his home and is
closely identified with its interests, for he yet maintains his home here and also has import-
ant business connections in this city. He is a native of Boston, Massachusetts, his birth
having occurred in 1870.

When he was nineteen years of age Mr. Wiley became an employe of the Boston
Steamship Company and the Boston Tow Boat Company, both owned by the same stock-
holders, and in all the intervening years to the present he has been closely associated



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 145

with navigation interests, his career being characterized by a series of rapid advancements.
His capability and trustworthiness are indicated by the fact that he remained with the
two companies above mentioned for twenty-one years and during the last eight years of
that period, or from 1902 until 1910, he was their marine superintendent on the Pacific
coast. A number of the vessels of the fleet of the Boston Steamship Company were
planned by him and he also supervised their construction. That company owned and
operated the Pleiades, the Hyades, Lyra, Shawmut and Tremont on the Pacific from 1902
until 1910, withdrawing from the western ocean in the latter year.

Preferring to remain on the Pacific coast rather than continue his connection with
the Boston Steamship Company and return to the east, Mr. Wiley in 1910 entered into
business relations with the Matson Navigation Company of San Francisco and the Coast
Steamship Company of New York but a year later resigned both connections to accept
the office of manager of the Pacific Alaska Navigation Company, operating the Admiral
line of steamers in the Alaska and California trade. At the beginning of the year 1915
he retired from the Pacific Alaska Navigation Company and gave his attention to private
business interests in Seattle until appointed to his present position as marine superintend-
ent of the Great Northern Pacific Steamship Company, with headquarters in Portland.
That line owns the Northern Pacific and the Great Northern, which are without doubt the
finest ships afloat in the American merchant marine and will prove a great asset to the
Pacific coast. They have unsurpassed accommodations for passengers and also capacity
for carrying a large amount of freight. Mr. Wiley is regarded as one of the leading
shipping experts of the Pacific, having been connected with water transportation since his
youth. As a boy he sailed for two years with his father, one of the best known master
mariners of Boston, in the days when the sailing ship still held its own on every ocean.
Each step in his career has been a forward one and each change in his business con-
nections has marked an advance, and the public as well as the company recognize his
superior qualifications for the office to which he has been called.

Seattle still has claim upon him, not only because he maintains his home here but
also because he is president of the Crosby Tow Boat Company, is a stockholder in the
Pacific Alaska Navigation Company and has other e.xtensive financial interests. He num-
bers many friends in Seattle, for his personal popularity has always given him a firm
hold upon the affectionate regard of those with whom he has been associated.



JOHN CLAUDE MOORE, M. D.

Dr. John Claude Moore, engaged in medical practice in Seattle, was honored with
the presidency of the King County Medical Society in 1913. He has always specialized in
surgery and now gives practically his entire time to that work. He was born in Sacra-
mento, California, in 1872, a grandson of Seth Moore, who came from Ireland and was
the founder of the American branch of the family in the new world, settling in Tennessee
and afterward removing to Missouri. His son, John Wesley Moore, father of Dr. Moore,
was born in Tennessee and became a wheelwright by trade. He went with his parents
to Missouri and thence across the plains to California in 1850, making the journey with
ox teams and encountering the usual difficulties, hardships and privations incident to the
trip over the hot stretches of sand and through the mountain passes and in residence
upon the western frontier. He wedded Amanda Hall, a native of Indiana and of English
descent, the family having been established on American soil during colonial days. Settle-
ment was made in Virginia and there was a strain of connection with Pocahontas.

John Wesley Moore died when his son, John C, was but nine years of age, leaving
him the eldest of the family of three sons, so that he became the head of and the sole
support of the family. His youth was therefore a period of earnest and unremitting toil,
devoted to earning a living and to acquirin.g an education as opportunity offered. After
attending the common schools of California he continued his studies in Professor Howell's
private academy of Sacramento, California, to the age of twenty years, when he entered
what is now Stanford University and won his M. D. degree in 1895. His early life was



U6 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

spent upon his father's farm in the Sacramento valley but after his graduation he entered
immediately upon active practice at Lemoore, California, where he remained for six
years. In 1901 he removed to Seattle, vv'here he has since followed his profession but now
gives his attention exclusively to surgical work, in which he is particularly skillful. He is
a member of the King County Medical Society and was honored with election to its presi-
dency in 1913. He was the first health officer of King county under the present organiza-
tion and he belongs to the State Medical Society and the American Medical Association.
He is also president of the surgeons' staff of the King County Hospital, is on the staff
of the school clinic and in 1914 served as chief of staff at the City Hospital of Seattle.
During the years of his practice he has taken post graduate work in the New York Post
Graduate College and he also visited and studied during the winter of 1914-15 in the
hospitals of New York, Chicago, Philadelphia and Boston.

Dr. Moore belongs to the Elks lodge of Seattle and is also a member of the Rainier
Club, the Athletic Club and the Unitarian church. He resides at 2717 Thirty-third street.
South, and has an office in the Cobb building. He finds special diversion in boxing, shoot-
ing, fishing and in athletics and is very fond of outdoor life. His occasional pilgrimages
to forest and stream maintain for him an even balance with his onerous professional duties,
which are constantly growing in volume and importance.



REGINALD HASCALL PARSONS.

Reginald Hascall Parsons, a prominent and respected citizen of Seattle, is at the head
of the Northwestern Fruit Exchange, having been chosen president on its organization in
1910. His birth occurred at Flushing, Long Island, New York, on the 3d of October, 1873,
and he comes of an ancestry honorable and distinguished, among his ancestors being John
Bradford, the first governor of Massachusetts; Governor Winthrop, of Connecticut;
General Absalom Peters, of the wars of the Revolution and 1812; John Bowne, one of the
first Quakers, whose home, built in 1661 at Flushing, Long Island, sheltered George Fox and
is still in a fine state of preservation and has always remained in the family; and Samuel
Parsons, a horticulturist of international reputation during the '50s and '60s of the last
century. George Howland Parsons, now deceased, father of Reginald H. Parsons, was
president of the Colorado Forestry Association and one of the first in the country to promote
intelligent conservation through regulation and government control. His wife is the
daughter of a well known New York judge.

Reginald H. Parsons obtained his education at Providence, Rhode Island ; Colorado
Springs, Colorado, and Berkeley, California. For two years he attended the University of
California as a member of the class of 1898, belonging to the Glee Club there. He also
took a leading part in athletic activities at school and college. His first work was m
connection with railroading, for he was one of a party to run the reconnaissance for the
Rio Grande Western Railway in 1891-2 across the Great American Desert in Utah and
Nevada. Later, at the age of eighteen years, he was connected with a small railroad in
southern New Mexico as station agent. Subsequently he returned to college, and when he
left the university became identified witli real-estate operations in connection with the
original townsite company which started Colorado .Springs, Colorado, residing in that
town for twenty years. He was likewise engaged in business as a mining stock broker
and for nine years was connected with Bemis Brother Bag Company, the last five years
as manager of their Seattle branch, opening their business here in 1904. Mr. Parsons
moreover became president and manager of the Hillcrest Orchard Company, owning two
hundred acres of bearing pear and apple trees in the Rogue river valley of southern
Oregon. This is considered one of the finest pear orchards in the world and in igoS-igio
established the world's record for prices received for deciduous fruit in car lots sold in
London, England. Mr. Parsons assisted in the organization of the Rogue River Fruit &
Produce Association and became president of the Northwestern Fruit Exchange at tlie
time of its organization in 1910, this being a quasi public-service corporation. He was
also vice president of the Orchard & Investment Company, organized in 1913 to purchase







P
1


rth


1


-






i


^^


^^r






\




E^


"^'^^^Sl^^^^^^^^^^l





LlV.,"'




P




r


'



REGINALD H. PARSON'S



HISTORY OF SEATTLE ' 149

orchard properties in various parts of the United States ; president of the Methow Valley
Live Stock Companj', operating in the Methow valley of northern Washington and also
near Tolt, Washington : and one of the original stockholders in the Vindicator Consolidated
Gold Mining Company of Cripple Creek, Colorado. His interests are varied and important
and his activities have proven profitable to the community as well as to himself.

On the 30th of January, igoi. in Colorado Springs, Colorado, Mr. Parsons was united
in marriage to Miss Maude Bemis. Her father, Judson M. Bemis, of Boston, Massachu-
setts, is the head and founder of the firm of Bemis Brother Bag Company, which was
organized in St. Louis, Missouri, in 1858, and now enjoys the distinction of being the
largest importer of burlap and manufacturer of cotton and burlap bags in America. He
built the town of Bemis, Tennessee, and there established cotton mills and gins, employing
three thousand operatives under the most enlightened and sanitary conditions. To our
subject and his wife have been born five children, those living being: Anne, Reginald Bemis,
George Howland and Alary Bowne. The family attend St. Paul's Episcopal church.

Mr. Parsons is a republican of the conservative progressive type but has not partici-
pated actively in politics. While actively engaged in business in Seattle he took part in
municipal affairs, serving as chairman of the first "City Beautiful" and being one of the
citizens' committee appointed from various bodies to break the deadlock in negotiations
incident to the incoming of the Chicago, Milwaukee & Pugct Sound Railroad. For some
years he was a director of the Title Trust Company. He belongs to the Beta Theta Pi, a
college fraternity, and is also a member of the L'niversity, Rainier and Arctic Clubs of
Seattle, the Arlington Club of Portland, the University and Country Clubs of Medford,
Oregon, and the Rocky Mountain Club of New York City. Mr. Parsons is a broad-minded
and liberal man, interested in the work of reform and imjirovement along lines that do not
liampcr the free and independent development of the individual and yet contribute to the
world's progress.



EBENEZER LOSEY MARSH.

Ebenezer Losey !Marsh, who since the 1st of January, 1900, has been license inspector
and collector of Seattle, was born in Carlinville, Illinois, April 15, i860. His father, Edwin
Washington Marsh, who died in 1877, was a native of the state of New York and became
a successful practicing physician in Darien, that state. He was a graduate of Lafayette
College and prior to the Civil war was a college professor. He taught for many years in
the State University of Tennessee and his wife, w'ho bore the maiden name of Emeline
Walton Losey, was born in Pennsyhania and was a daughter of Ebenezer Losey, who for
an extended period was a prominent physician of the Keystone state. Both Dr. and Mrs.
Marsh are now deceased.

Ebenezer L. Marsh is their only son and has but one sister, Ida, who was employed in
the government service, educational department, at Albany, New York, from 1907 to Sep-
tember 8, 1915, when she resigned to become the wife of Frank R. Burrill, of this city.
Mr. Marsh was largely educated by his father, a man of superior mental force, although he
attended the common schools of New York to some extent. .At the age of seventeen years
he made his entrance into the business world as a student of telegraphy and, becoming an
operator, followed that business until 1890 in railwaj- and commercial service. He arrived
in Seattle November i, 1888, and his first position in this city was with the Seattle Lake
Shore & Eastern Railway as bill clerk and telegraph operator. He acted in that connec-
tion for a year, after which he was associated with the Madison street car line until
December, 1899, when he entered the service of the city, checking the initiative and refer-
endum petitions. On January i, 1900, he became connected with the city treasury depart-
ment as license collector and on the 1st of January, 1907, upon passing the civil service
examination, was regularly appointed license inspector, which office he has since filled. In
politics he has always been a stalwart republican, as was his father before him, and he
has done active work in both local and state political circles since 189:. His opinions
carry weight in the councils of his party in the northwest and at all times he keeps
thoroughly informed on the questions and issues of the day.



150 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

On the 26th of November, 1886, at Ordway, South Dakota, Mr. Marsh married Miss
Rose E. Barnes, who was born at Madison, Wisconsin, January 15, 1861. They became the
parents of a daughter. Pansy June, who was born at La Crosse, Wisconsin, June 18, 1888,
and is now the wife of Edwin L. Yerden, of the city engineer's force, city of Seattle, whom
she married June 10, 1910. Mrs. Marsh passed away December 9, 1909, and Mr. Marsh
now resides at the Wingfield Hotel.

There is a military chapter in his life history, for as a young man of twenty-one years,
he joined Company D, of the Seventy-fourth Regiment of the National Guard of New
York. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, having joined the lodge at North La
Crosse, Wisconsin, in 1886. However, in 1890 he demitted to Eureka Lodge of Seattle,
with which he is still identified. He is also a member of Ballard Chapter, No. 26, R. A. M.,
and he was one of the charter members of Friendship Lodge, No. i, of the original Street
Car Benefit organization of Seattle, and served in all of the chairs until he retired from
office in 1910. He was also collector for two lodges of the Royal Arcanum and was
secretary and organizer of Camp Yesler, No. Ti7, W. O. W. He likewise holds membership
with the Red Men and his religious faith is that of the Methodist church. From the age
of seventeen years he has been dependent upon his own resources, but in America, the land
of the free, where effort is unhampered by caste or class, he found the advantages which
enabled him to work upward and his career has been characterized by an orderly progres-



REV. JESSE DANIEL ORLANDO POWERS.

Rev. Jesse Daniel Orlando Powers is pastor of the Unitarian church at Boylston and
Olive streets in Seattle. He was born at Scotts, Michigan, October 22, 1868, and is
descended from the first old Dutch settlers who came to the new world. His ancestors fought
in the Revolutionary war, in the War of 1812 and again in the Civil war the family was
represented by patriotic defenders of the Union cause. His father, James Powers, served
in the struggle between the north and the south as a member of the Twelfth Michigan
Infantry. The maternal grandfather, Orlando Keyes, was chaplain of the company, and
he married his daughter, Irene Keyes, to James Powers a half day before he and his
son-in-law marched away to the war. In the summer of 1914 they celebrated their golden
wedding, the ceremony on this occasion being performed by their son. Rev. J. D. O. Powers,
while one of the witnesses was Mrs. Keyes, the bride's mother, who had been present at
the wedding a half century before. Orlando Keyes was a minister of the Methodist Episco-
pal church and was a man of prominence in his community. James Powers, too, has exerted
considerable influence over public thought and action and has represented his district in
the state legislature of Michigan. His life has been devoted to farming and he is now
owner of a large ranch in the state where he has so long resided.

Rev. J. D. O. Powers completed his literary education in Battle Creek College and



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 18 of 142)