Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 20 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 20 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

sporting editor and for some time was also editor of the Sunday magazine section.

He claims that Clarence B. Baglcy, editor of this History of Seattle, is responsible
for his being a newspaper man instead of a banker, for when a boy he became associated
with a bank in which IMr. Bagley was cashier. He filled the position of errand boy and
during the absence of one of the head officials of the bank Mr. Bagley took it upon himself
to stand sponsor for the said errand boy for the munificent sum of one dollar per week
to be used for carfare, thereby causing a general disturbance and a special meeting of the
stockholders on account of such extravagance. The head official of the bank refused to
allow this exhorbitant sum to a boy who had nothing to do but run errands and, there-
fore, leaving his position, he soon afterward secured employment on the Seattle Post-
Intelligencer, of which Will H. Parry was then city editor. He was given in charge
of Larry K. Hodges, who now holds an important position with the Oregonian of Portland.
His training was most thorough and ofttimes of an arduous character. It would not be
unusual for him to be sent to Ballard at eleven o'clock at night to get the details for a
story on a fire and perhaps, upon his return, he would be informed that the information
for which he had been sent was in the hands of the editor before he left the oflice and
that he had been sent simply to find out if he could perform that duty. During the time
that he was not on his way to Ballard or engaged in performing some similar service,
he was being instructed by W. M. Sheffield in police reporting and other departments of
reportorial work. The first big story to which he was assigned was a murder case known
as the Nordstrom case, which was heard in 1895 and which was carried to the supreme
court of the United States, where it was defended by James Hamilton Lewis, now United
States senator from Illinois. The murder was committed at the top of Cedar mountain
and Mr. Baxter left Seattle late in the evening to go to the scene in order to get the details
for his paper. In company with Dr. George M. Horton, who was then coroner, and
Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Caldwell, he drove in a lumber wagon after dark up the
dangerous mountain road. It was between one and two o'clock in the morning when they
returned to the little railroad station and l\Ir. Baxter routed the agent out of bed to send
his message to the paper for the morning publication. After the agent had sent part of
the message his wrist gave out and, as the reporter had had some experience. when a lad
in telegraphy, he continued the message. Speaking of this occasion, however, he said:
"If men could be arrested for^ their thoughts those on the Seattle end of the line would
be serving a life's term if all they thought of the man who was playing that machine
at the other end could be brought up against them."

Gradually Mr. Baxter was advanced and all who know aught of the Post-Intelligencer


1 ^;i. i>/%V.



are familiar with his writings. Those who read between the lines of this review may get
the story of his faithfulness, fidelity, resolute purpose ^nd determination, for it was °by
hard work that he won his advancement, proving his worth in his service. He is today one
of the well known newspaper men of the Pacific coast, and, moreover, he is a stockholder
in the Union Savings & Trust Cqmpany Bank of Seattle, in the National Bank of Com-
merce at St. Louis and the Metropolitan National Bank of Washington, D. C. He is like-
wise a stockholder in the Canadian Bank of Commerce at Seattle and in the Bank of Nova

Afr. Baxter was united in marriage to Lora Scott, a native of Big Rapids, Micliigan,
but reared in Washington, her father being George Washington Scott, who came to Seattle
in the early '80s. Mrs. Baxter was educated in the public schools of this city and in the
University of Washington. Mr. Baxter belongs to the Elks Lodge, No. 92, of Seattle,
to the Press Club and to the Seattle Athletic Club and usually gives his political allegiance
to the republican party but feels that he is not bound by party ties and often follows an
independent course. He and his wife are well known in the social circles of the city and
occupy an attractive winter home at No. 161 1 Fifteenth avenue, while they have a summer
home at beautiful Three Tree Point.


There is something stimulating in winning a forensic victory just as there is in
winning a contest on the battlefield, and it usually calls forth the best efforts and abilities
of him who essays to win success in the arduous and difficult profession of the law,
wherein advancement is secured only by personal ability and merit. As a practitioner at
the Seattle bar, Robert W. Waite is making steady progress and has proven his ability
in handling various intricate cases. He was born December 29, 1887, in Nelson county.
North Dakota, a son of Florence L. and Maud Waite. The father, who early learned
the carpenter's trade, became a contractor and also followed farming while living in North
Dakota. Removing to the northwest, he is now engaged in the cultivation of a fruit farm
at Eugene, Oregon, whereon he and his wife make their home. His early life was spent
in Michigan, while his parents were from New York, but the spirit of the west attracted
liim and from early manhood he has made his home on this side the Mississippi, gradually
moving westward until he is now identified with Pacific coast interests.

Robert W. Waite is the eldest in a family of four children. He acquired his early
education in the public schools of North Dakota and after completing his studies became
a mail carrier in that state, spending about two and a half years in that way. He left
home at the age of seventeen years and worked his way through business college at Grand
Forks, North Dakota. He came to the west to try his fortune, making his way toward
the Pacific coast in connection with railroad construction. He knows the experiences
of that kind of life but ambition led him on. On reaching \\'ashington he took up his
abode at Expansion and then traveled across the country to Suunyside, where he arrived
in April, 1907. He there took up ranch work, but afterward went to Ellensburg and
secured a position in an attorney's office, receiving six dollars per week, where he worked
till January, 1913, with the exception of about a year in engineering work in the employ
of the Northern Pacific Railroad Company in Montana, and on work on the Willamette
& Pacific Railroad in Oregon. In the meantime, while connected with the law office, he
was studying at every available opportunity and at the date mentioned successfully passed
the required examination at Olympia, which won for him admission to the bar on the
18th of January. At that time he took up office work in Seattle with a law firm and in
October, 1914, entered upon an independent practice. On the 15th of February, 1915, he
formed a partnership with Joseph M. Glasgow, with whom he was associated until
December, 1915, when he formed a partnership with C. F. Cook and removed to the L. C.
Smith building as a permanent location. He has gradually worked his way upward in
the general practice of law and is now accorded a liberal clientage. He has ever recognized
the fact that industry is one of the important elements of success in this field as in others


and his close application, his careful preparation and his clear and forceful presentation
of his cases are bringing him gratifying success.

Mr. Waite was married in 1913 to Miss Edith McNeil, a daughter of H. G. and Eva
McNeil, of Ellensburg, Washington. Her father was in the gold rush to Alaska and
made considerable money by furnishing wild meat for the miners. He was an expert
hunter of game and for several years he remained in Alaska, conducting a flourishing
business. Since returning to Ellensburg he has ranked with the leading ranchmen of
Kittitas county and at the present time he is filling the position of county commissioner
for the second term. Mr. and Mrs. Waite have a daughter, Dorothy, now in her second
year. In his political views Mr. Waite is liberal, voting at municipal elections for the
candidates best qualified for office, regardless of party affiliations. He has never sought
political preferment, nor has he ambition along that line. He prefers to give his undivided
attention to the law and already has won for himself a creditable place at the Seattle bar.
He had no special advantages at the outset of his career, but has worked persistently
and energetically to secure those opportunities with which others are provided. As the
years have gone on his labors have won his advancement and his commendable course
receives the indorsement of all who know aught of his career.

U. C. BATES, M. D.

Dr. U. C. Bates, engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery at Seattle, was
born in Hillsdale, Michigan, December 5, 1875. His father, C. Bates, was a native
of Ohio and became a successful agriculturist. He married Johanna Werner, a native
of Germany, and they became the parents of two sons and two daughters, of whom Dr
Bates is the youngest.

After attending school in Hillsdale until he had completed the work of the grades
and of the high school and had spent a year at Hillsdale College, Dr. Bates continued
his education in the Detroit College of Medicine at Detroit, Michigan, from which he
was graduated with the class of 1897. He then located for practice in that city, but after
a year made his way to Nome, Alaska, where he remained for three years. In 1901 he
came to Seattle and entered upon general practice in this city, although he has specialized
to a great extent in surgery, in which branch of the profession he displays marked skill.

On the 22d of August, 190S, Dr. Bates was married, in Seattle, Washington, to Miss
Minnie E. Pauli, a native of Michigan and a representative of a prominent family of
Hillsdale. They have become the parents of two children, James W. and Marion E. The
family reside at No. 713 Sixteenth avenue.

In politics Dr. Bates is a republican and fraternally is connected with the Masons,
the Elks and the Odd Fellows. He belongs also to the Press Club and to the Arctic Club,
while along strictly professional lines he has membership with the King County Medical
Society the Washington State Medical Society and the American Medical Association.
He is a very modest man, but it is only justice to say that he has a large practice, won
through merit and ability. Recognizing the advantageous situation of Seattle, he has
great "faith in its future and has the interests of the city much at heart.


Dr Lewis R. Dawson did not hastily decide upon Seattle as a place of residence, visit-
ing various cities in the northwest before he determined to locate here. He has never
regretted his decision and is one of the most stalwart advocates of the city and its oppor-
tunities and possibilities. Seattle has benefited by his efforts in its behalf along various
lines and counts him as one of its most able, learned and successful physicians and sur-
geons He was a young man of about twenty-eight years when he established his home
here his birth having occurred in Warren, Trumbull county, Ohio, June 23, 1856. The


family is of English descent and Isaac N. Dawson, the Doctor's father, was born in
Pennsylvania. In early manhood he engaged in the manufacture of linseed oil at Newcastle,
Pennsylvania, and afterward removed to Trumbull county, Ohio, settling in Warren, where
he also established a linseed oil manufactory. Thoroughly acquainted with the business in
every particular, he built up a trade of large and growing proportions and won place among
the substantial business men of that city. He did not allow his manufacturing interests to
monopolize his time to the exclusion of activity in public affairs and was always ready and
willing to do his duty in behalf of the public welfare, giving active and earnest support to
many measures which proved of benefit to his city. For many years he was justice of the
peace and was also a member and president of the board of education. Moreover, confi-
dence was evidenced in him in an unusual degree in his retention in the office of mayor of
Warren for twelve years. In the administration of city affairs he displayed the same
spirit which characterized his business career, avoiding useless expenditure of money and
as well the useless retrenchment which blocks progress. He sought to promote practical
reform and to advance improvement along substantial lines, and his efforts resulted bene-
ficially for the city. In early manhood he married Nancy L. Reeves, daughter of John
Reeves, a Trumbull county pioneer, who was born in Connecticut and from Pennsylvania
removed to Ohio. Mr. Dawson died in 1878 and his widow survived until July, 1900,
both being laid to rest in the Warren cemetery.

Dr. Dawson supplemented a public-school education by a course in the Western
Reserve College at Hudson, Ohio, and made his initial step in business life as a teacher
in the schools of Warren, thereby earning the money that enabled him to pursue his col-
lege work. It was his determination, however, to engage in medical practice and with
that end in view he began studying under the preceptorship of Dr. John R. Woods of
Warren and later became a medical student in the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor,
where he was graduated in June, 1882. He applied himself diligently to the mastery of the
branches of the curriculum and entered upon the practical work of his profession with
broad theoretical knowledge, which his quick understanding enabled him to readily adapt
to specific needs. The year after leaving the university was spent as assistant surgeon in
the Quincy copper mines of, Hancock, Michigan, and after a brief period spent in visiting
friends in the east he came to Washington, spending some time in Walla Walla and Tacoma
and also in Portland, Oregon. The month of January, 1884, however, witnessed his arrival
in Seattle and from that day to the present he has been one of its loyal, progressive and
valued citizens.

Dr. Dawson practiced alone for about three years and in 1887 entered into partnership
with Dr. Thomas T. Minor, a most capable physician, with whom he was connected until
the death of Dr. Minor in December, 1889. For about a year in 1891-92, Dr. Dawson was
a partner of Dr. James B. Eagleson, and since that time has been alone, enjoying an
extensive and rapidly growing practice. In his early professional career he concentrated
his energies largely upon the diseases of women and was very successful in their treatment,
but since his return from the Spanish-American war he has engaged in general practice,
specializing somewhat in surgical work.

Long service as a member of the National Guard gave Dr. Dawson the training
which qualified him for active duty in the war with Spain. In December, 1884, he enlisted
in the Seattle Rifles, becoming a member of Company B, First Regiment, Washington
National Guard. In September of the following year he was promoted to the rank of
second lieutenant and became first lieutenant in May, 1888. In June, i8go, he was appointed
surgeon of the First Regiment of the National Guard of Washington with the rank of
major, serving as such until 1896, when he was promoted to lieutenant colonel and brigade
surgeon, and upon his honorable discharge he was retired with the latter rank. He was
holding that rank at the time of the breaking out of the Spanish-American war in 1898,
when he tendered his services to Governor Rodgers and was appointed major and surgeon
of the First Washington Volunteer Regiment. From May until the following October he
was on duty at Vancouver Barracks, Washington, and in the Presidio of San Francisco,
and on the latter date was assigned with his regiment for duty in the Philippines. He was
at the front at the battle of Santa Ana and in all of the engagements in which the regiment
participated, as well as the first expedition under General Lawton against Santa Cruz.


With his regiment he afterward returned home and was honorably discharged. At the
close of fifteen years' connection with the National Guard he retired witli the rank of
lieutenant colonel.

Dr. Dawson was married in i8S8 and had two sons by that marriage, Lewis R. and
W. Ralph C. On the 6th of October, 1902, he wedded Theresa Eliot Reno, a native of
New York, by whom he has two children, Lee Reno and Mary Reeves. He is a very
prominent Mason, holding membership in Arcana Lodge No. 87, F. & A. M. ; Washington
Lodge of Perfection; Washington Chapter of the Rose Croix; and Washington Council
of the Knights of Kadosh. He attained the thirty-second degree of Scottish Rite Masonry
in Lawson Consistory, and crossed the sands of the desert with Afifi Temple, Nobles of
the Mystic Shrine, at Tacoma. He has membership with the Spanish-American .War
Veterans and the Washington Chapter of the Sons of the Revolution. He is prominent
and popular in club circles, holding membership in the Rainier Club, the Seattle Athletic
Association and the Golf and Country Club. Along strictly professional lines he is identified
with the King County Medical Society, the Washington State Medical Society, the
American Medical Association and the Association of Military Surgeons of the United
States. His outside interests are sufficient to render his a well balanced character, yet his
chief attention is concentrated upon his professional interests and activities and he has
ever remained a close and discriminating student of the science of medicine, keeping in
touch with the most advanced thought.


Several years before the great rush of gold seekers to the Pacific coast in 1849,
following the gold discoveries in California the preceding year, Joseph Borst made his
way to the west in 1845. He was born in Schoharie county, New York, in 1821, but from
1845 mitil his demise was identified with the golden west. After a brief time spent in
Washington he went to California, but in 1849 again came to this state, settling in Lewis
county, where he took up a homestead claim, also preempted more land until he was the
owner of more than six hundred acres. He always maintained his residence in Lewis
county until called to his final rest in 1885, but was very actively engaged in the live-
stock business in Seattle and at other points along the western coast. He likewise sold a
great deal of stock in Victoria, British Columbia. He raised large numbers of cattle
east of the mountains and had extensive land holdings in that part of the state. His business
aff^airs were most systematically, wisely and successfully conducted and he became known
as one of the foremost cattle dealers of this section. He sold a large number of cattle to
local meat dealers and also bought for local men, and the extent and importance of his
business aft'airs brought him a wide acquaintance in Seattle. He was always ready to give
his aid and his influence on the side of the city's upbuilding and of the advancement of
the state and his cooperation was counted as a valued factor in promoting the public good.

Mr. Borst was united in marriage to Miss Alary A. Roundtree in 1854, and they
became the parents of four children, Eva Estella, Ada, Harbin David and Allen Turner,
the two latter both residents of California. The eldest daughter married S. S. McElfresh
and resides in Lewis county. The daughter Ada became the wife of John C. Blackwell
in 1891, but he was an eastern man and did not like the west, so the\' spent much of their
time in the east, although Mrs. Blackwell has always maintained a home in Washington.
After her husband's death she returned to this state and took up her residence in Seattle,
where she has since lived. She is widely known socially here and has an extensive circle
of warm friends. She is a member of the Congregational church and of the Leschi
Improvement Club and the Woman's Century Club, and it is to her that we are indebted
for the material concerning her honored father. Her mother still maintains a home on
the old homestead but spends most of her time in California, where she has extensive

In his political views Mr. Borst was a democrat and kept well informed on the
questions and issues of the day, but the honors and emoluments of office had no attraction


:;■' •> oiW.


for him. He deserves mention in this history as one of the pioneer settlers of the west,
having arrived here at a time when the Pacific coast country was cut ofif from the east by
the long stretches of prairie and of the desert and the mountain ranges, all of which made
travel almost impossible before the building of the railroads. He knew California before
it entered into the wild period of excitement that followed the discovery of gold there
and he was identified witli the development of Washington from a period when the most
farsighted would never have dreamed that there would spring up within its borders several
great metropolitan centers and tliat it would take the lead in various productions among
the great states of the Union.


J. Will Jones, who since June, igo6, has been continuously engaged in the practice of
law in Seattle, being now a member of the firm of Baxter & Jones, was born at Virden,
Illinois, August 3, 1879, and is the eldest of a family of five children whose parents were
William and Minnie (Davidson) Jones. The father, who through much of his life has
been a successful farmer, is now residing at Virden, Illinois, and of that state Mrs. Jones
is a native.

J. Will Jones received his early educational training in the public and high schools
of Virden and afterward attended Blackburn College at Carlinville, Illinois, while subse-
quently he entered the State University of Illinois, in which he pursued his law course,
being graduated with the LL. B. degree in 1904. His life up to that time was spent upon
the home farm, but following his graduation he opened a law office in Virden, where he
remained in practice for two years. Thinking that the far west would give him better
opportunities, he came to Seattle in June, 1906, and entered upon active practice, in which
he has continued to the present, being now associated with Chauncey L. Baxter in the firm
of Baxter & Jones.

On the 12th of January, 1915, Mr. Jones was married, in Manistee, Michigan, to Miss
Elizabeth Wente, a native of Michigan and a daughter of William Wente, a prominent
lumberman and a representative of an old family of Manistee. The family residence at
No. 1 521 Ravenna boulevard is a hospitable home — the favorite resort of their many
friends. Mr. Jones makes motoring his favorite source of recreation, it being his most
pleasurable pastime. In politics he is a republican, somcwdiat active as a part}' worker.
He is deeply interested in Christian service, holding membership in the First Baptist church,
of which he is the secretary. He belongs to the Knights of Pythias lodge of Seattle and
to the Metropolitan Lumbermen's Club, while professionally he is connected with the
Seattle Bar Association. He chose as his life work a profession in which advancement
depends entirely upon individual merit and ability and during the period of his residence
in Seattle, to which city he came an entire stranger, he has established a large and satis-
factory practice and is numbered among the leading young lawyers of the city.


Ernest Gladstone Shorrock, public accountant, following his profession in Seattle,
was born in Blackburn, England, on the 9th of October, 1868, and took his initial step in
the business world when a youth of fifteen years, at which time he secured a position as
office boy with the West Lancashire Railway Company at Southport, England. He deter-
mined to win advancement if it could be secured by faithful service and reliability and
it was not long before he was given a position in the rate department, while later he
was transferred to the accounting department. Gradually he worked his way upward
until eventually he was given charge of the general books of the company and along this
line his later life has been spent. In 1891 he went to London as accountant for the
Empire of India Corporation, acting in that capacity for throe years. In 1894 he became
v,ii. in .s

Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 20 of 142)