Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 22 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 22 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Rite Mason of the thirty-second degree. He assisted in establishing the Seattle Turnverein
and from 1889 until 1903 was president of the George Washington Branch of the Irish
National League. In 1894 he was sent to represent Washington at the World's Fair at
Antwerp, Belgium, and was present when the fair was formally opened by King Leopold
II on the 5th of May of that year.

In politics General Edsen is a stalwart republican and for several years was president
of the German American Republican Club of Washington, as well as of the local branch
at Seattle. He has been spoken of as "a man of distinction in political, professional and
literary circles, and equally prominent socially." His life history indicates the possibilities
which are open to young men of ambition and enterprise. He felt that the northwest
offered opportunities superior to those found in other sections of the country and he
used every legitimate advantage to further his progress. At first, because of a lack of



176 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

acquaintance and a lack of knowledge of the English language, he had to accept minor
positions, but he soon mastered the native tongue of the people and also soon demonstrated
his ability so that advancement and promotion have followed, and step by step he has
progressed until he now occupies a leading position as a lawyer, as a man of literary
ability and as a citizen.



IRVIN ARTHUR WEICHBRODT, M. D.

Dr. Irvin Arthur Weichbrodt. a member of the medical fraternity of Seattle specializing
in surgery and gynecology, was born October 7, i8;8, in Seward, Nebraska, a son of
Artliur L. Weichbrodt, who was a native of Berlin, Germany, and came to America in
1S73, settling at Lincoln, Nebraska. He has devoted his life largely to journalism and is
now editor and proprietor of the German paper "Die Wacht Am Sunda" at Tacoma. He
came to Washington in 1882, first settling at Seattle but afterward going to Tacoma,
where he established the paper wdiich he is now publishing. He married Laura Ballard, a
native of Indiana and a daughter of Joseph Ballard, a descendant of an old Pennsylvania
family represented in the Revolutionary war. Members of the family became pioneer settlers
of Indiana. Mrs. Weichbrodt is still living and by her marriage she became the mother
of four children.

Dr. Weichbrodt, the eldest of the famil}', accompanied his parents to Tacoma in early
boyhood and there attended the public schools until he reached the age of thirteen years,
when he became a newsboy of that city. He was afterward an A. D. T. messenger and
still later took up the study of pharmacy. His first position in connection with the drug
business was in the store of Virges & Company at Tacoma, with whom he remained for
three years. He then passed the state examination, after which he left home and became
a range rider in eastern Washington and western Montana, spending a year in that connec-
tion. Witli Iiis earnings on the range he paid his tuition in the University of St. Louis at
St. Louis, Jilissouri, wliere he was graduated in 1903 with the Bachelor of Science degree,
while the following year he won his M. D. degree. He then became an interne in the St.
Louis City Hospital under Dr. Amichs and later he pursued post-graduate work in the
Post Graduate Hospital and in the Bellevue Hospital of New York City, thus splendidly
qualifying for the onerous and responsible duties of the profession.

R_eturning to Washington, Dr. Weichbrodt passed the required state examination and
located for practice at Winlock, where he remained for five j-ears. He afterward spent a
year in post-graduate work in New York, in the Johns Hopkins University at Baltimore,
Maryland, and in Berlin and Vienna. Following his return from abroad he practiced for a
year at Winlock and then removed to Seattle. Later he again entered upon post-graduate
courses, spending six months in post-graduate work in New York, but in January, 1912,
returned and resumed active practice. la 1913 he spent two months in further study in
New York, specializing in surgery and gynecology, which he has since made the principal
features of his practice. He is thoroughly conversant with all the latest scientific researches
in those fields and practices according to the most scientific methods.

On the 15th of September, 1503, in Seattle, Washington, Dr. Weichbrodt was united in
marriage to Miss Eugenie Levy, a native of Denver. Colorado, and a daughter of Benjamin
C. Levy. Dr. Weichbrodt figures very prominently in fraternal circles. He has advanced far in
Alasonry, being now a Alystic Shriner, and he also holds membership with the Benevolent
Protective Order of Elks, the Fraternal Order of Eagles, the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows, the Woodmen of the ^^'orld, the Ancient Order of United Workmen, the Knights
of Pythias, the Owls and the Moose. He is likewise a member of the College Club of
Seattle and the Seattle Automobile Club and he finds his chief diversion in fishing, hunting
and motoring. He gives his political allegiance to the republican party and both he and
his wife are members of the Episcopal church. Along strictly professional lines he has
connection with the King County Medical Society, the State Medical Society, the American
Medical Association and the American Gynecological Association. The thoroughness with
which Dr. Weichbrodt masters anything which he undertakes is shown by the many times




DR. IRVIX A. WEICHBRODT



U5



...... .....-C



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 179

whicli he has gone to the east for post-graduate work, thus continually broadening his knowl-
edge and promoting his efficiency. He is now recognized as a distinguished member of the
medical profession in Seattle and one of marked power and ability.



JOHN TRUMBULL.



John Trumbull devoted his life to the practice of law and became an expert in laws
relating to timber claims. Li this connection he represented many of the prominent timber
men of the northwest. A native of Scotland, he was only eleven years of age when brought
to America by his parents, who settled in Cresco, Iowa. There he pursued his education
and after attending the high school he l)ecame a student in the law department of the State
University of Iowa, from which in due course of time he was graduated. He was then
admitted to the bar and entered u])on the practice of his profession in Nortli Dakota.
Later he removed to Montana, where he continued in practice until coming to tlie Puget
Sound country in 1889, in which year he settled at Port Townsend, where he opened a law
ofhce, after which he was continuously identified with the bar of Washington until his
life's labors were ended in death. His brother Tom joined him and studied law under his
direction, and following his admission to the bar a partnership was formed between them
under the firm style of Trumbull & Trumbull. In 1899 John Trumbull opened an office
in Port Angeles, where he remained until 1908, when he came to Seattle and here opened
a branch office for the firm, remaining in cliarge in this city until his death, while his
brother conducted the business of the firm at Port Townsend. He studied laws relating
to claims and property interests in the northwest and became an expert on the subject
of timber laws, his ability in that direction leading to his selection as attorney by a number
of the most prominent timber men of the northwest. While in ^Montana he prepared a
brief in relation to land laws wJiereby a momentous question was settled in the federal
court at Washington, D. C, and thereby established a precedent. He was also instrumental
in establishing a precedent in the matter of women holding the position of county super-
intendent of schools and through his law practice he was likewise active in establishing a
precedent in regard to a disputed matter of taxation. His knowledge of the principles of
jurisprudence was comprehensive and exact and he was looked upon as an authority by
his fellow members of the bar.

On the 20th of December, 1888, in Montana, Mr. Trumbull was united in rparriage
to Mrs. Victoria L. (Sawyer) De Vol, of Ohio, the widow of Samuel De Vol. To Mr. and
Mrs. Trumbull was born a daughter, Helen. The family circle was broken by the hand
of death when on the i6th of December, 1913, Mr. Trumbull passed away, his demise being
a great blow to his wife and daugliter. He was most devoted to their welfare and counted
no personal sacrifice on his part too great if it would enhance their happiness. !Mr. Trumbull
belonged to the Knights of Pythias but did not care to figure prominently in public life
outside of his profession. Nature endowed him with keen intellect and he used his powers
wisely and well. His strong mentality enabled him to analyze and readily grasp the salient
features in a case and understand the relation of the law thereto. Wide study and research
developed his powers and he became recognized as one of the foremost representatives of
his profession in the northwest.



AMOS SLATER.



Amos Slater, a mining engineer, with offices in the Henry building, was well trained
for his profession, in which he has been an active practitioner since 1900. He was born
August 16, 1875, near Como, in Park county, Colorado. His father, Seth S. Slater, was a
ranchman and stock raiser of that state, where he settled in pioneer times, there maintaining
his residence to the day of his death, which occurred in the year 1904. His widow, who
bore the maiden name of Martha J. Wilson, is still residing at the old home in Colorado.



180 HISTORY OF SEATTLE '

Amos Slater is the eldest of their children, four in number. He acquired his educa-
tion in the schools of Denver and when his textbooks were [jut aside he entered upon
an apprenticeship to the machinist's trade in that city. Recognizing the value of further
educational training, he afterward attended the School of Mines at Golden, Colorado,
and was graduated therefrom in 1900 with the degree Engineer of Mines. He afterward
went to Silverton, Colorado, where he entered the employ of a gold mining and milling
company as engineer, taking charge of the development of their mines. In 1902 he entered
the engineering department of the Colorado Fuel & Iron Company at Denver and in 1903
was made assistant geologist for the company, with which he remained until 1905. In that
year he accepted a position with the Northern Pacific Railroad Company as assistant
geologist and in 1906 was promoted to the position of geologist with the company. During
the first year of his connection therewith he was transferred to the Northwestern Improve-
ment Company and carried on experimental work at South Tacoma, Washington. In 1908
he resigned that position and embarked in business on his own account as a consulting
mining engineer, in which field of labor he has continued to the present time, being accorded
a liberal patronage, for his expert knowledge is recognized.

In 1902 Mr. Slater was married to Miss Martha Bennett, a daughter of William H.
Bennett, of Golden, Colorado, who was connected with the School of Mines of that place
and is still living there. Mr. Slater is a member of the Masonic fraternity and has taken
the degrees of the Scottish Rite. He is one of the organizers of The Engineers' Club of
Seattle, was its first president and is now serving on its executive board. He also belongs
to the American Institute of Mining Engineers, is president of the Washington Association
of Engineers, and is a member of the Colorado Scientific Society. He is continually
carrying on his studies, investigations and researches along the line of his profession and
is thereby adding to his knowledge and promoting his efliciency, his ability placing him
among the representative men in his line in the northwest.



CHARLES WAYLAND SCARFF.

Charles Wayland Scarff, actively connected with timber operations in the northwest,
IS president of the Stevenson-Scarff Timber Company and secretary of the Seaboard
Logging Company. He has been a resident of Seattle since 1907 and has since operated
in timber holdings. He was born June 3, 1858, at Pella, Marion county, Iowa, a son of
the Rev. E. H. and Mary B. Scarfl. The father was president of the Iowa Central Uni-
versity at Pella for a quarter of a century and in that school Charles W. Scarff pursued
his education, winning the Bachelor of Arts degree upon his graduation in 1878, while the
Master of Arts degree was conferred upon him in 1881. In early manhood he taught
in the public schools of Iowa for two years and in 1882 he embarked in the real estate
business at Grand Island, Nebraska, where he met with a fair measure of success. He
became one of the founders of the Grand Island Baptist College in 1886, having solicited
thirty thousand dollars in the east with which to erect the college buildings. In 1890 he
went to Burlington, Vermont, and for a number of years was special agent for the Bell
Telephone Company in northern New England. He transferred his operations to the field
of the northwest in 1907, when he arrived in Seattle and the prominence of the Stevenson-
Scarff Timber Company, of which he is the president, and of the Seaboard Logging Com-
pany, of which he is the secretary, indicates the place which he holds in business circles
today, for both companies have large timber holdings and operating confines. While at
Grand Island, Nebraska, he was a director of the Bank of Commerce from 18S6 until 1888.

On the 3d of June, 1881, at Grand Island, Nebraska. Mr. Scarff was married to
Miss Lestine J. Labott, a daughter of Daniel and Emily Labott. and they have become
the parents of three sons and three daughters, all living in Seattle. The parents hold
membership in the Baptist church and Mr. Scarff is a republican in his political views.
From 1904 until 1906 he served on the staff of Governor Bell with the rank of colonel,
which covers his connection with military affairs. He has devoted considerable time to
literary work and is well known as a magazine writer of short stories and poems. He has



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 181

also published one volume of poems under the title of "The Sunny Side of Life," which
has run through two editions. He is a member of the Metropolitan Lumbermen's Club
but his activities center largely in his timber business and his literary interests. One
meeting him in a trade transaction, noting his concentration, his alertness and his enter-
prise, would hardly recognize in him the man of contemplation, whose study of life and
its opportunities has resulted in the production of many beautiful thought gems, winning
appreciation from both critic and reader.



IRA A. NADEAU.



Ira A. Nadeau, manager at Seattle for Washington and Alaska for the Equitable Life
Assurance Company, has been prominently connected with the business interests of Seattle
and the state during the thirty years of his residence in the northwest, and has taken an
active and helpful interest in every public movement for advancement. His classification
with the representative citizens is therefore unchallenged. He was born at Monroe,
Michigan, January 23, 1856, a son of Philip and Lucy (Bagnall) Nadeau. His father's
people were French-Canadians, who settled at Frenchtown on the river Raisin, now
Monroe, Michigan, in 1786 and their descendants, or many of them, still reside there. The
mother was born in Canandaigua, New York, in 1824 and, going to Michigan, there engaged
in teaching school until her marriage on the 14th of November, 1843. The married life
of Mr. and Mrs. Philip Nadeau covered a period of sixty-two years and terminated
in the death of the husband in 1903, his wife surviving until igi2.

Ira A. Nadeau pursued his education in the public and private schools of his native
town and, taking up the study of law, entered upon the practice of that profession at
Monroe, Michigan, in 1878. He there continued until 1881, in which year he embarked in
the lumber business at Lincoln, Nebraska, remaining a member of the firm of Stevens,
Waters & Nadeau until 1883. From 1885 until igo6 he was connected with the railroad
business in Seattle and in the latter year became director general of the Alaska- Yukon-
Pacific E.\position, so continuing until 1910. He is now agency manager for the Equitable
Life Assurance Society of New York for Washington and Alaska, having occupied that
position of importance and responsibility for the past five years.

Through the years of his residence in the northwest Mr. Nadeau has played a most
important part in its development, long occupying a central place on the stage of activity.
He was officially connected with railroad development in Seattle and western Washington
for twenty years as general agent, superintendent, manager and president of the Northern
Pacific Railway's branch lines and subsidiary companies in western Washington. He began
his railroad career with the Oregon Improvement Company, now the Pacific Coast Com-
pany, and after filling the position of right of way agent became general freight and
passenger agent. When the Puget Sound Shore Railroad, which gave the Northern Pacific
Railroad entrance to Seattle, was separated from the Oregon Improvement Company he
became its general manager and so continued from 1887 to 1890, when the road was pur-
chased by the Northern Pacific Railway and became a part of that system. He then
assumed the duties of general agent at Seattle and assistant superintendent of the Pacific
division. He was promoted from time to time, as previously indicated, until he resigned
to become director general of the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific E.xposition. Only a man of broad
business ability and of the most pronounced public spirit could have been selected for
that place and the success with which he directed the affairs of the e.xposition has become
an integral part of Seattle's history. He has held no political positions, save that of court
commissioner in Monroe county, Michigan, when practicing law, but throughout his life
has maintained important relations in which the public has been either the direct or
indirect beneficiary. He was trustee and executive vice president of the Seattle Chamber
of Commerce and has held many official positions in various civic societies. He always
votes with the republican party when questions of national importance are at issue, but
otherwise casts an independent ballot.

On the 22d of April, 1885, Mr. Nadeau was married in Seattle by the Rev. George



182 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

Herbert Watson, pastor of Trinity Episcopal church, to Miss Flora Fonda, a daughter of
Captain and Mrs. George T. Fonda, who came to this city in 1877. Captain Fonda was on
the staff of Major General John A. Logan during the Civil war and died in 1913 in Seattle,
where Mrs. Fonda still makes her home. Mr. and Mrs. Nadeau have two children:
Aladeleine, who was graduated from the Seattle high school and from the University of
Michigan with the literary degree ; and George Fonda, now a student in Queen Anne
high school of Seattle.

Mr. Nadeau belongs to the Rainier Club, of which he was a charter member. He
served as a trustee for several years and president during the years 1902 and 1903, during
which period the present clubhouse was built. Regarded as a citizen and in his social
relations, he belongs to that public-spirited, useful and helpful type of men whose ambi-
tions and desires are centered and directed in those channels through which flow the
greatest and most permanent good to the greatest number. While he has eschewed public
offices, there is probably not a man of large private interests in Seattle that has felt a more
hearty concern for the public welfare, and he is one of those men who wield a power
which is all the more potent from the fact that it is moral rather than political and is
exercised for the public weal rather than for personal ends. The range of his activities
and the scope of his influence have been indeed wide and his rare aptitude and ability
in achieving results make him constantly sought and often bring him into a prominence
from which he would naturally shrink were less desirable ends in view.



WIGBERT MOELLER.



Wigbert Moeller has been prominently connected with the industrial growth of Seattle
and is recognized as one of the men of wealth of the city. He has done much important
work along lines of public improvement and has been especially active in securing the
development of the south end of the city and the improvement of the Duwamish river.
A native of Hessen, Germany, he was born in the village of Silges, where his parents,
Adam Joseph and Josephine (Wilhelm) Moeller, continued to reside until called by
death. The region in which he was born and where his boyhood was passed is the section
of country in which St. Boniface, the Apostle to the Germans, labored centuries ago and
the prayer-book which he was holding in his hands when struck down by the saber of a
heathen is still exhibited in the town of Fulda, as( is one of the first prayer-books ever
printed. The first forty-two syllable Bible was printed in that district of Germany.

Mr. Moeller acquired his early education in the common schools of Silges, and after
joining his brother in Nebraska City, Nebraska, in March, 1868, attended the country
school near that place for a short time. He was later a student in Talbot Hall, an
Episcopalian school, near Nebraska City. In 1870 he went to Jefferson county, Nebraska,
which at that time was but sparsely settled. There was still the ever-present danger of
Indian raids and in the previous year thirty-seven settlers had met death at the hands
of the hostile red men. Game such as buffalo and antelopes abounded and conditions were
in general those of the western frontier. While living near Nebraska City Mr. Moeller
was employed in a small sawmill owned by his uncle, but on removing to southwestern
Nebraska turned his attention to farming. The grasshoppers devastated the country for
three years in succession, and in 1875 he decided to try his fortune in a more favorable
locality and went to San Francisco, California. He remained for two and a half months
near Redwood but not finding that section to his liking he went to Portland, Oregon, arriving
there in October, 1875. He farmed near McMinnville, that state, for a year but in November,
1876, came to the Puget Sound country. He landed at New Tacoma, which then consisted
of but fourteen houses, while the country around was still wild as but little clearing had
been done. He only remained one night in that settlement and the next day came to
Seattle on the steamer Messenger (one of the finest boats of that time), which took three
hours to make the trip to Seattle. At that time saloons and dance halls were much in evidence
in the small town which bore the name of Seattle and Mr. Moeller decided not to remain.
From Seattle he went partly on foot and partly by narrow gauge railroad to Lake Union




wi(;f.?:rt moeller



i., itiOK



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 185

when there was nothing but woods to be SL'en in that district. Even then, however, there
Avere many canoes and sailboats of all kinds on the Sound, which presaged the great shipping
interests of Seattle today. He returned to Tacoma and there learned of some German
families living near Puyallup. He walked to that settlement, finding there a few houses,
one store and the Meeker log house, in which was located the postoffice. From Puyallup
he walked to the present site of McMillan and after staying all night with a settler went as
directed to another settler, who pointed out to him some vacant government land one and a
half miles southwest of Puyallup. Mr. Aloeller concluded to locate there and returned to
Olympia, going the entire distance on foot, and entered eighty acres of land as a homestead.
He purchased an adjoining eighty acres from the Northern Pacific Railroad; subsequently
entered eighty acres more from the government and bought another eighty acre tract from
the railroad company. He also took a timber claim. When he first settled upon his land
his only means of reaching civilization was by an Indian trail that led to the prairie, three
miles distant. He soon began to cut a good wagon road to the prairie but the timber
was so heavy that this task occupied a whole winter. The following winter a road was cut
through to Puyallup and later Mr. iloeller organized a road district and a school district.
The county aided in opening up the district and in making roads. Mr. Moeller erected a
schoolhouse, having built a portable sawmill upon his land. In 1878, while living in the
timber, he and the other settlers of the locality were furnished arms by the federal govern-



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 22 of 142)