Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 23 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 23 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ment as it was feared that a hostile tribe of Yakima Indians east of the mountains would
make a raid upon them, but there was no attack. Air. i\Ioeller failed to find a market
for the lumber manufactured by his mill and tiring of ranching, he decided to change
his location. Accordingly he removed his mill to Bay View, in the vicinity of Anacortes,
Skagit county, and was the first man to erect a steam sawmill in that county. This was
in 1885 and two years later he started a logging camp on Guemes island. The following
year he manufactured a large number of piles but was unable to market them until June,
1889, when the big fire in Seattle created a heavy demand for lumber of all kinds. A few
days after the fire Mr. Moeller came to Seattle and soon disposed of his piles, which were
used at the foot of Washington street, where the Heffernan Engine Works are now located.
About this time he moved his sawmill to Wooley Junction and manufactured the first
lumber at that point. He shipped many of the ties used in the construction of tlie old
Seattle. Lake Shore & Eastern Railroad, the Anacortes Northern and the Great Northern
from Mount Vernon to Fairhaven. In 1891 he sold out and returned to Tacoma, there
engaging in the hay and grain business for a year. Later he erected a mill at Silverton,
on the Everett & Monte Cristo Railroad. There again Mr. Moeller was a pioneer as his
mill was the first one erected in that district. During the panic of 1893 practically all
mining operations were suspended and he lost almost all that he had accumulated during
the previous years. He moved the machinery to Everett and remained there for one and
one-half years although there was very little to be done in the sawmill business. However,
he was not idle as he aided in various movements seeking the advancement of that locality.
Among other things he labored effectively to secure the removal of the county seat from
Snohomish to Everett, which change has proved beneficial to the county at large.

When Mr. Moeller located permanently in Seattle in the fall of 1S95 he was in very
limited financial circumstances but he had great faith in the future of the city and of the
country and persevered even though at first his efiforts seemed to bring but little return.
He began buying and selling all kinds of second-hand machinery, his first location being
in the basement of the Starr-Boyd block, for which he paid a rental of fifteen dollars per
month. A year or so later, as the owners of that property wished to raise his rent, he
looked for other quarters and secured rooms at the corner of Weller street and Occidental
avenue, where he got more space for ten dollars per month than he had previously received
for fifteen. His business increased rapidly and in order to meet the demands he soon had
to install a machine shop and during the Klondike boom his trade grew so fast that it was
necessary for him to seek a new site for his business. In 1899 he purchased property in
Seattle and continued to engage in the machinery business until igoi, when he sold his
machinery to the Starr Machinery Company and his shop to the Marine Iron Works. In
iQOi, following his return from a trip to Europe, he built a sawmill near Issaquah, King
county. In 1903 he sold that property and also his timber holdings to the Robinson Manu-



186 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

facturing Company of Everett. He erected what is now known as the Elliott Bay sawmill,
which he sold to the Oregon-Washington Railroad Company in 1906. He also put up the
first building on Spokane avenue and East Waterway.

About 1899 Mr. Moeller joined the Seattle Manufacturing Association and at once
became a working member of that body. Foreseeing the time when Seattle would need a
manufacturing district which would provide facilities for connecting steamboat lines and
railroads and which would likewise afford sites for homes for the working men near their
business, he started the first movement for the improvement of the Duwamish river. His
clearness of vision has been more than justified and it is evident that the district along
the river is to be one of the most important sections of the city along industrial and com-
mercial lines. In 1904 Mr. Moeller removed to Youngstown, buying his present home site,
and soon afterward he organized all of the south end improvement clubs into one federated
club with the object of working together in securing needed improvements for that district.
In the fall of 1906 he went to Washington, D. C, to represent the Seattle Manufacturing
Association at the National Rivers and Harbors Congress and was honored by that body
by being made first vice president for the state of Washington. While in the national
capital he sought to secure government aid for the Duwamish river improvement project
and takes just pride in the fact that the greater part of the work completed along that line
is due directly to his untiring labors. He is still fighting aggressively for the development
of manufacturing and commercial interests in the south end and on the tide lands and is
certain that in the next few years much more will have been achieved than has been done
up to the present.

In addition to the associations already mentioned Mr. Moeller belongs to several
improvement clubs, the Commercial Club and the Municipal League. He is a man of
unusual energy and fearlessness and these qualities, combined with his naturally sound
judgment and his long business experience, fit him preeminently for his work in securing
public improvements and commercial progress. Seattle has gained much because he has had
the vision to see the lines along which the industrial development of the city will proceed
and the public spirit and enterprise to direct that development for the general good.



E. H. SENNOTT.



E. H. Sennott, assistant treasurer of the Metropolitan Building Company, was born
in Boston, Massachusetts, October 25, 1878, and is of French descent, his paternal grand-
father having been a native of France and the founder of the family in the new world.
In the maternal line he is of Irish and English lineage. His early ancestors lived on
the Emerald isle but later generations settled in England and came from that country
to America at an early day. His father, J. H. Sennott, born in Boston, was a piano
manufacturer and for a number of years acted as manager of the Chickering Piano
Company. He figured prominently in that connection for many years and was classed
with the representative ' business men of his city. His death occurred about 1908. His
wife, who bore the maiden name of Catherine Taft, is still living and now makes her
home with her son in Seattle.

In the public schools of Boston, E. H. Sennott began his education and when his
public school course was completed he entered upon the study of law in his native city
and after removing to Seattle in 1907 pursued a course of law in the evening school of
the University of Washington. He pursued his law work for the benefit of his business
career and not with the expectation of entering upon active practice. While in the east
he had been employed by the Boston & Maine Railroad Company, occupying positions in
the offices of the vice president and comptroller at Boston. He afterward became connected
with the Stone & Webster Engineering Corporation of Boston and during the past six
years he has been a representative of the Metropolitan Building Company, a large
corporation operating in Seattle. The company owns and operates twenty-two stores
and office buildings, among which are the White, Henry, Stuart, Cobb, P. I. and Arena
buildings. Mr. Sennott is now assistant treasurer and concentrates his energies upon



■ V HISTORY OF SEATTLE 187

the development and management of the business which is now one of the important
undertakings in the city. Its interests are capably and profitably managed.

On the 28th of November, 1906, Mr. Sennott was united in marriage to Miss Victoria
Hendrickson, a daughter of J. F. Hendrickson, of Quincy, Massachusetts. Three children
have been born of this union : Edward H., seven years of age, now attending school ;
Victoria, aged five ; and Ruth, who is the pet of the household and is four years of age.

Mr. Sennott is a member of the Arctic, College and Rotary Clubs of Seattle, of the
Metropolitan Lumbermen's Club and of the Chamber of Commerce and through his
connection with the last named organization takes an active and helpful interest in
promoting the city's welfare along lines of general improvement and upbuilding. In
politics he is a stanch republican. For about eight years he has been an active business
man of Seattle, loyal to the interests of the city and its commercial, industrial and financial
relations as well as along the lines of its civic development. He brought to the west the
training of the east and in the conditions of the Sound country finds opportunity for the
exercise of industry and perseverance — his dominant qualities.



WILLIAM E. MURRAY.



Through successive mayoralty administrations since 1900, or for a period of fifteen
years, William E. Murray has filled the position of city boiler inspector and has made a
most excellent record for capability and faithful service. He was born at sea, on the
English vessel Dauntless, October 10, 1864, a son of Bernard W. Murray, who was a native
of Ireland and became a resident of the United States in 1879, at which time he took
up his abode in Scranton, Pennsylvania, where he remained until he came to Seattle
in 1887. He was a contractor and builder and won substantial success in that connection.
He took a contract for building several of the local street railway lines, including the
Madison street cable line and tlie Ravenna Park line and otherwise he was actively identi-
fied with the public improvement of the city. In politics he was a republican, active in
the work of the party, his influence counting in both local and state ranks, yet he never
sought nor filled public office. He died at his home in Seattle in 1912, when sixty-nine
years of age, leaving his family in very comfortable financial circumstances. He left
behind him many friends, for all who knew him were drawn to him by ties of kindly
regard. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Jane McCormick, was a native of England
and died in Seattle in 1890, at the age of forty-five years. She came to the United States
from India with her husband in 1879, after residing for a number of years in that land.
As previously stated, they settled in Pennsylvania and in 1887 came to the northwest. In
their family were eleven children, all of whom have now passed away with the exception
of William E. and his younger brother, John, a well known journalist of Los Angeles,
California.

William E. Murray attended the public schools of Scranton, Pennsylvania, until he
reached the age of nineteen years and then started out in life on his own account. He was
first employed in locomotive shops at Scranton, Pennsylvania, and served an apprenticeship
in the engineering department. After completing his term of indenture he was employed
by the Santa Fe Railroad in New Mexico in connection with the locomotive service, follow-
ing that work for a period of nine years. During holiday week, between Christmas, 1888,
and the succeeding New Year's day, he arrived in Seattle and has since been a resident
of this city. Almost immediately he secured the position of engineer in the city fire
department and later was employed by the United States government until 1900. In that
year the office of city boiler inspector was created and Mr. Murray was appointed to the
position by Mayor Humes, since which time he has continuously served under succeeding
administrations, so that he has the distinction of being the first and the only person
to fill the office. In politics he is a republican, recognized as a most active worker in party
ranks, doing all in his power to promote the growth and insure the success of the repub-
lican organization.

In Seattle, in 1891, Mr. Murray was married to Miss Eunice V. Bird, a daughter of



188 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

Levi P. Bird, a representative of an old family of Seattle, and they now have one son,
Ralph E., who is attending the University of California, studying agricultural science.
The family reside at No. 1603 East Jefferson street.

Mr. Murray has been a lifelong member of the Benevolent Protective Order of
Elks and he is a thirty-second degree Mason and a Shriner. He also belongs to the Seattle
Symphony Society and to Wagner's band. He possesses e.xpert skill on different musical
instruments, particularly the bassoon, and is widely known for his talents, which render
him a popular figure in musical circles.



FRANK WILLIAM SHILLESTAD.

F'rank William Shillestad, assistant secretary and assistant treasurer of the Denny-
Renton Clay & Coal Company of Seattle, was born in Chicago, Illinois, on the 31st of
October, 1865, a son of Ole and Regina (Petersen) Schillestad. He was ten years of age
when he left his native city and became a resident of Seattle on the 3d of July, 1875.
Here he attended the public schools and ultimately was graduated from the Seattle high
school with the class of June, 1881, while in 1888 he completed a course in the Seattle
Business College.

Early in his business career Mr. Shillestad was actively engaged as a stenographer and
bookkeeper. He served as bookkeeper in the undertaking establishment of Ole Schillestad
from 18S2 until 1886 and was afterward stenographer for the firm of Jacobs & Jenner from
i8go until 1893 and later acted as bookkeeper and stenographer for the Sackman-Phil-
lips Investment Company from 1893 until 1895. During the four succeeding years he
filled the position of bookkeeper with R. Marchant, a commission merchant, and has also
been with E. M. Gordon, a commission merchant. From 1899 until the present time he
has been with tlie Denny Clay Company and its successor, Denny-Renton Clay & Coal
Company, acting first as auditor, while for the past three years he has been assistant
secretary and assistant treasurer. He has thus advanced step by step along progressive
business lines and his present position is one of responsibility.

On the 2ist of November, 1900, in Ballard, Washington, Mr. Shillestad was united in
marriage to Miss Lillian May Draper, a daughter of the Rev. Elisha Draper, and to them
have been born two children, Frank William and June Lillian.

Mr. and Mrs. Shillestad are members of Trinity Methodist Episcopal church and
he also holds membership with the Amphion Society, the Municipal League, the Seattle
Credit Men's Association, the Commercial Club and the Rotary Club — connections which
show the breadth and nature of his interests and activities. He is also a member of the
Pioneer Association of Seattle. In politics he is a republican but is independent in his
support of candidates, seeking ever to put the best man in office. The history of Seattle
is largely familiar to him, for at the time of his arrival here it was a village of about
twelve hundred inhabitants. He has therefore watched its growth to its present population
and has seen it become one of the most thriving and progressive cities of the northwest
with a splendid outlook for the future.



HON. JOHN A. WHALLEY.

Hon. John A. Whalley devoted a numljcr of years to the insurance business in Seattle
and in public affairs of the state was prominent, serving at one time as a member of the
general assembly, in which he did valuable service as a member of important committees.
He was born October 24, 1863, in Bradford, Yorkshire, England, and was a little lad of
but seven summers when in 1870 he accompanied his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Pickering
Whalley, to the new world, the family home being established in San Francisco. In 1S83
he came to Seattle then a young man of twenty years, and accepted the position of private
secretary to L. S. J. Hunt, then owner and editor of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. He




FRAXK W. S[{II.LESTA1)



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 191

left that position to become circulating manager of the paper and still farther progress
awaited him in that connection, for eventually he was elected to the position of treasurer.
He remained witli the Post-Intelligencer until 1897 and was recognized as a prominent fac-
tor in contributing to the success of what is recognized as the leading journal of the north-
west. In 1897. however, he severed his connection with the paper and turned his attention
to the real estate and insurance business, which he conducted under the name of John A.
Wlialley & Company. He became general agent for many companies doing surety, casualty
and fire insurance business and built up a large clientage through his enterprise, his correct
bubiiiess methods and his indefatigable energy. He became recognized as one of the fore-
most insurance men of the state and he also had a good business in handling property.

la 1891 Mr. Whalley was united in marriage to Miss Clara H. Dickey and to them
were born three daughters and a son, namely: Mabel Frances; Jolni, Jr., deceased; Alice
Maude ; and Emily.

While his business interests and his home life perhaps constituted the strongest centers
of his activity, Mr. Whalley was nevertheless a recognized leader in politics and on the
republican ticket was elected to the lower house of the state legislature in 1908. He was
made a member of the committee on military affairs and superintended the investigation
of National Guard matters which led to the introduction of needed reforms in that organi-
zation. He also served as chairman of the insurance committee of the house and made
such an excellent record during his connection witli the lower branch of the general
assembly that in 1910 he was sent to the state senate from tlie thirty-sixth district and
was again made chairman of the committee on insurance. His experience in that line of
business made him well qualified for such a position and he believed in laws that would
sustain high standards in connection with the insurance business. Mr. Whalley was well
known in military circles, having been one of the organizers of the National Guard of
Washington, of which he became a member, holding the rank of first sergeant in his
company of the Seattle Rifles. Fraternally he was a prominent Mason, belonging to
Arcana Lodge, No. 87, F. & A. M., while in tlie Scottish Rite lie attained the thirty-second
degree and was also a member of Nile Temple of the Mystic Shrine. The strong guiding
spirit of his life, however, was found in his religious faith, evidenced in his memliership
in the Plymouth Congregational church. His life was ever upright and honorable, the
expression of worthy purposes and higli ideals.



HERBERT F. WARD.



On the 1st of July, igio, Herbert F. Ward was appointed secretary of the eleventli
civil service district, with headquarters at Seattle, and has since occupied tliat position,
in which connection he is making a most creditable record as a trustworthy and capable
official. He was born in Virginia City, Nevada, August 27, 1875, and is the elder of two
sons, his brother being Custer Ward, who is now connected with the postoffice service at
Reno, Nevada. Their father, Ariel H. Ward, a native of Maine, became a pioneer resident
of Virginia City, arriving in Nevada in 1864. There he engaged in the coal and wood
trade during the greater part of his life and met with a fair measure of prosperity. He
also served as justice of the peace in Cotati, California, and at one time was a candidate
for the office of United States marshal but was defeated. He always took quite an active
interest in political affairs and did not a little to tnold public thought and action in his
community. At the time of the Civil war he responded to the country's call for troops,
enlisting as a member of Company H, Second Maine Volunteer Infantry, for two years.
Being captured, he was sent to Libby prison, but was afterward exchanged and was dis-
charged on account of ill health. For a long period he was a valued member of the Grand
Army of the Republic. He died in December, 1909, at the age of seventy years. His wife,
who bore the maiden name of Elinore Dearborn, was also born in Maine, in which slate
they were married, and she now resides in San Francisco, California.

After attending the public schools of Virginia City, Nevada, Herbert F. Ward con-
tinued his education in San Francisco until he reached the age of eighteen years. Ht
Vol. m— 9



192 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

started in the business world as a stenographer and typewriter, working along those lines
for six years. He then became contracting freight agent with the Northern Pacific Rail-
road Company at San Francisco, spending two years in that way. On the i8th of December,
1901, he entered the United States government service after passing the civil service
examination and was assigned to customhouse duty in San Francisco with the consolidated
board of United States civil service examiners for that district. That was the second civil
service district organized in the United States, the first being at Boston, Massachusetts.
Mr. Ward was connected with and acted as chairman and secretary of the board of civil
service examiners from April, 1904. On the ist of July, 1905, the twelfth and thirteenth
districts were consolidated and he was appointed assistant secretary of the reorganized
district, continuing as such until July i, 1910, when he was appointed secretary of the
eleventh civil service district, with headquarters at Seattle, which position he has since
filled. He is making an excellent record by the prompt and meritorious manner in which
he discharges his duties, having carefully systematized the work of the office so that
maximum results are secured with a minimum expenditure of time and labor.

On the 17th of January, 1897, at Santa Rosa, California, Mr. Ward was united in
marriage to Miss Mae I. Powell, a native of Wisconsin and a daughter of William and
Melissa Powell. Mr. and Mrs. Ward reside at No. 229 First avenue, North.

Mr. Ward votes independently and does not care to bind himself by party ties. He
belongs to Mount Moran Lodge, No. 44, F. & A. M., of San Francisco, and conforms his
life to the teachings of the craft. Whatever success he has achieved or enjoys has come
to him entirely as the reward of his own efforts and perseverance. He is thoroughly in
sympathy with the merit system in ofiice and believes that ability only should be considered
in the selection of men for public positions. He is thus a worthy officer in the civil service
department and his record will bear the light of close scrutiny and investigation.



THOMAS F. QUIRK.



One of the important wholesale enterprises of Seattle is the tea and coffee house
owned and conducted by the firm of Quirk Brothers, doing business in the Maritime build-
ing. One of the partners in this undertaking is Thomas F. Quirk. His advancement in
business has followed individual effort, carefully and intelligently directed and his enter-
prise and determination have brought him to a creditable position in social circles. He
was born at Port Washington, Wisconsin, July i, 1859, a son of James Quirk, who was a
farmer and butcher, at one time owning and operating a shop in Chicago. About 1868, how-
ever, he removed to Fremont, Nebraska, and there lived retired until his death, which
occurred in 1872. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Bridget McKone, was a daughter
of John McKone, a Wisconsin farmer, and her death occurred in the year 1870. There
were but two children in the family, Thomas F. and his brother John, who are associated '
in business in Seattle under the firm style of Quirk Brothers.

Thomas F. Quirk acquired his early education in the public schools of Fremont,
Nebraska, to which place he removed with his parents when a lad of about eight or nine
years. He started out in the business world in the printing ofiice of the Fremont Herald,
working during school vacations. He found the business congenial and about 1874 fie
secured a position on the Fremont Tribune. Previous to this time he had spent a portion
of his vacation periods on a farm in Dodge county, Wisconsin. He afterward went to
Omaha, Nebraska, and worked as a substitute on the Omaha Evening News, the Omaha
Republican and the Omaha Bee. Later he removed to Council Bluffs, Iowa, where he held
cases for two years on the Nonpareil. Leaving there on the 7th of January, 1881, he returned
to Fremont, Nebraska, where he engaged in soliciting fire insurance in that city and



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 23 of 142)