Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 24 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 24 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


vicinity and in the northern part of the state. In the spring of 1882 he formed a partner-
ship with J. W. Maher, of Fremont, Nebraska, and carried on a fire insurance and general
real estate business. The following year he purchased the interests of his partner and con-
tinued the business alone for eight years. In connection with that undertaking he was a
stockholder in and acted as treasurer and business manager of the Fremont Continuous Kiln



HISTORY OF SEATTLE



193



Company, engaged in the manufacture of brick. At the same time he was a stockholder
in the Roberts Manufacturing Company of Fremont, manufacturing store shelvings and
counters. In the early summer of 1890 he sold his business to the firm of Glover &
Staples, of Arlington, Nebraska, but remained with them for one month in order to assist
them in gaining a knowledge of the business. Mr. Quirk had disposed of his interests in
that line in order to accept an oflfer from Henry Fuhrman to go to the Pacific coast to act in
the capacity of bookkeeper and confidential clerk to Mr. Fuhrman, who was dealing in
timber lands and conducting general financial interests. He left Fremont on the 26th of
August, 1890, and arrived in Seattle on the 31st of August, while his employer reached this
city in September of the same year. An office was established on the south side of Yesler
Way between First avenue South and Occidental avenue in a room occupied by the Seattle
National Bank and later offices were secured in the Sullivan building. In the fall of 1898
Mr. Quirk accepted a position with Albert Hansen, jeweler, and was there employed until
the spring of 1899, when he entered into partnership with his brother, John Quirk, and
Joseph Maitland for the conduct of a merchandise brokerage business. During the follow-
ing summer the brothers purchased the interest of their partner and conducted the busi-
ness independently. In the year 1901 they incorporated their interests with Young Brothers,
jobbing in teas and coffees, representing the house in the capacity of traveling salesmen for
almost ten years. In January, 191 1, articles of partnership were entered into between
Thomas F. and John Quirk for the purpose of conducting a jobbing business in teas and
coffees and they have since been located in the Maritime building, where they are con-
ducting a large trade, selling to the retail dealers throughout Washington, Montana and
Idaho. Theirs is an important commercial enterprise, carefully and systematically con-
ducted and their success is well merited.

On the 28th of March, 1883, Mr. Quirk was united in marriage at Fremont, Nebraska,
to Miss Carrie A. Stetson, a daughter of B. F. Stetson, of that place, who was a retired
farmer. Mr. and Mrs. Quirk have two children ; Claud J., twenty-eight years of age, who
is in business with the firm of Quirk Brothers; and Eunice May, attending the Seattle
public schools. In politics Mr. Quirk has always been an earnest republican but has never
sought nor held office. He belongs to the United Commercial Travelers and to the Seattle
Commercial Club. He has been a resident of this city for a quarter of a century and has
seen it grow from a place of forty-seven thousand population to its present size. Of all
the different places and states that he has visited he has found none that he thinks equals
Seattle for its healthful climate, the attractiveness of its location and its general business
outlook and he feels that he has become a permanent resident here. His business affairs
are carefully and systematically conducted, enterprise and ambition guiding him in all
things and leading him steadily forward to the goal of success.



RALPH W. DEARBORN.



Ralph W. Dearborn, who has negotiated some of the most important and extensive
realty transfers in tide lands in Seattle, was born in Candia, New Hampshire, May 5, 1873,
a son of Leonard F. and Mary C. (Fitts) Dearborn. He attended the public and high
schools of Candia, concluding his studies in 1892, when he started in the business world in
the field of slioe manufacturing, in which connection he worked his way upward until
he was made foreman of the establishment. In 1893 he left New England and came to
Seattle, where he engaged in the real estate business in partnership with his brother,
Henry I. From 19OQ until 1903 he was in Alaska and engaged in placer mining, having
penetrated beyond Nome four hundred miles into the interior and forty miles north of
the Arctic circle. He still owns dredging mines there which are now being successfully
operated.

After three years spent in the far north Mr. Dearborn returned to Seattle and became
a member of the firm of H. H. Dearborn & Company, real estate dealers, business being
conducted under that style until the senior partner retired in 1905, when the Dearborn
Company was formed by W. F., H. I. and R. W. Dearborn, three brothers. They have



194 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

since continued .actively in business and deal in tide lands exclusively, having- put through
some of the large deals with the railroads, making extensive sales to the Oregon-Wash-
ington Railroad Company and to the Chicago & Milwaulvce Railroad Company, to which
they sold a large part of the terminal grounds. The year 1906 was a period of notable
activity in the sale and improvement of tide lands and the firm enjoyed their share of the
business. Mr. Dearborn thoroughly understands every phase of real estate activity and has
studied the question from the standpoint of the purchaser as well as of the man who handles
the property. He therefore knows how to meet the demand, and what he undertakes is
accomplished by reason of marked enterprise and energy.

On the 8th of February, 1904, Mr. Dearborn was married in Seattle to Miss Marie A.
Hannan, a daughter of George C. and Charlotte F. Hannan, who came of Scotch-Irish and
French ancestry in the paternal line and of English in the maternal. The father, who is
now living retired, was a Confederate soldier from West Virginia and his father was
one of the early settlers of that state, where a township has been named in his honor. The
family comes of Revolutionary stock, which indicates its planting on American soil during
colonial days. Mr. and Mrs. Dearborn have a daughter, Ruth.

In his political views Mr. Dearborn is a republican but not an active party worker,
and fraternally he is identified with the Sons of Veterans. His religious faith is that of
the Congregational church and his life is guided by its teachings. He is ever interested in
those forces which figure in the intellectual, political and moral progress of the community
as well as in its material development, and his cooperation can be counted upon to further
any measure for the general good.



CAPTAIN JAMES CARROLL.

Captain James Carroll had no small part in developing commerce in northern Pacific
waters, especially in Alaska, and for fort3'-five years was closely identified with shipping
interests on the coast. He commanded the first large steamer to enter Alaskan waters and
there was no phase of the shipping industry of this section of the country with which he
was not thoroughly acquainted. He became also a representative of commercial activity
in Alaska and his eft'orts were ever of far-reaching and beneficial eft'ect. A native of Ireland,
he was born November i, 1840. but when only six months old was brought to the L'nited
States by his father, Lawrence Carroll, who established the family home in Kendall county,
Illinois, where he spent his remaining days, his death there occurring when he had reached
the age of seventy years.

The youthful experiences of the farm boy were those of Captain James Carroll to
the age of sixteen years, after which he went to Chicago, where he took up the life of a
sailor. He spent two years on the Great Lakes and then went to New York, after which
he sailed the high seas. He became connected with the merchant marine service in trips
made largely to Japan and China and was in the latter country during the Chinese war
of 1861. Later Captain Carroll went to California and thence sailed to the Sandwich and
South Sea islands and later into Atlantic waters, visiting many European ports. In 1863
he received his first promotion and afterward filled all of the higher offices in the service
and visited almost every foreign land. In 1865 he once more reached San Francisco and for
many years was on Pacific waters. In the earlj' days he was connected with the National
Steamship Company and in 1866 he was the second officer on the brig, Swallow, which had
as a passenger, Mr. Burlingame, envoy to China, whose mission was- to effect a treaty with
that country. He commanded the Colorado on the China run and was master of other
vessels for the same company. Later he commanded the Pelican, the Great Republic, the
California, afterward known as the Eureka, the Idaho, the .Ancon and a large fleet. In
1878 Captain Carroll became an employe in the Alaska service, sailing from Portland and
Seattle and carrying the first tourists to that country. This was at a period antedating the
development of mining interests in Alaska. He afterward became connected with E. C.
Hughes, N. A. Fuller and George E. Piltz in equipping the two vessels, Juneau and Harris,
and made a trip to Alaska in the fall of 1880. It was in the early '80s that he took the




CAPTAIX JAMKS CARROLL



I



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 197

California, the first large steamer to enter Alaskan waters, to Sitka and Wrangell and for
years he continued in the Alaska service. For a quarter of a century he was w-ith tlie
Pacific Coast Steamship Company and every new vessel built and launched by the company
was intrusted to his care. While running to Alaska he made the acquaintance of many
prominent and wealthy men from the east and in iSgt appeared before congress, representing
a" syndicate of moneyed men, with an offer of fourteen million dollars to buy Alaska. He
was convinced of the injustice done by congress in withholding reasonable laws from the
territory and he was most earnest in his endeavor to cooperate with the capitalists in their
effort to make the purchase of the country. He was the first master of the Queen, a well
known vessel, and was the first to take her through the Wrangell Narrows.

On the 4th of January, 1898, Captain Carroll abandoned seafaring life and afterward
became agent for the Alaska Commercial Company, for the Rodman mines and for the
Northern Lakes & Rivers Navigation Company and also became a general merchant and
outfitter in Alaska. Several years later he returned to the Pacific Coast Company to com-
mand the new steamer, Spokane, but retired again about 1906 and later was prominently
identified with business interests in Seattle. He was a representative of the Rodman mines
located on Baranof island, where the company operated a sixty stamp mill and seven
miles of railroad. He was also interested in the Alaska Commercial Company, owning three
ships running from Seattle to Alaska, and they also owned nearly all of the boats on the
lower Yukon with the exception of those belonging to the North American Lading &
Transportation Company. The same company owned and conducted nearly all of the larger
stores on the Yukon. Captain Carroll removed his outfitting business from Seattle to
Skagway, where he operated extensively as a grocery merchant, carrying a stock amounting
to twelve thousand dollars, while at Nome, Alaska, his outfitting business was capitalized at
fifteen thousand dollars.

At San Francisco, California, Captain Carroll was married to Miss Dorothy Bowington,
and of their children only one survives, John, now agent of the Grand Trunk at Seattle.
Mrs. Carroll passed away in 1900 and at San Francisco in 1903 Captain Carroll wedded
Elizabeth A. Reid, a native of Victoria, British Columbia.

Captain Carroll was largely independent in politics. He was prominent in Masonic circles,
holding mernbersliip in Port Townsend Lodge, No. 6, F. & A. M.; Victoria Chapter, No. 120,
R. A. M.; California Commandery, No. i, K. T. ; and Lawson Consistory, No. i, S. P. R. S.
He was also long identified with the Knights of Pythias, the Odd Fellows and the Elks
and he belonged to the Master Marines Association and to the Masters and Pilots Associ-
ation of San Francisco. He was the first delegate from Alaska to congress and he did much
to influence and promote the welfare of that country. Of him it has been written: "In
the history of the Pacific coast shipping his superior as a shipmaster has not been known,
while few men have been his equal." He passed away May 17, 1912, at Seattle.



FRANK T. HUNTER.



Frank T. Hunter has been prominently identified with all progressive movements look-
ing toward the advancement of Seattle's interests. He has been engaged in the real-estate,
loan and insurance business here since June, 1890, and has a wide and favorable acquanit-
ance in business, club and social circles. His birth occurred in Bloomington, Honroe county,
Indiana, January 21, 1867, his parents being Morton C. and Martha A. Hunter. The father
was of Scotch-Irish descent and the mother of French and English ancestry. Morton C.
Hunter served as colonel of the Eighty-second Indiana Volunteer Infantry during the Civil
war and for four terms represented his district in Indiana in congress. In a word, such
was the nature of his activities that he has left the impress of his individuality for good
upon the history of his country.

Frank T. Hunter entered the public schools of Bloomington at the usual age and
passed through consecutive grades to the high school. Eventually he became a student
in the Indiana University and afterward graduated in the law department of the National
University at Washington, D. C.



198 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

Mr. Hunter was a young man of twenty-three years when, in June, 1890, he came to
Seattle and embarked in the real-estate, loan and insurance business. He is accorded a
large clientage, each department of his business is proving profitable, and he is one of
the best known representatives of insurance in the northwest. He has become a prominent
figure in financial circles and his name is an honored one on commercial paper. He was
vice president and one of the directors of the Northern Bank & Trust Company from
1907 until 1913 and at the present time is a director of the Seattle Lighting Company, the
Seattle Factory Sites Company, the Northern Bond & Mortgage Company and the Business
Property Securities Company.

On the 14th of May, 1891, in Washington, D. C, Mr. Hunter was married to Miss Cor-
nelia Hilton, a daughter of U. D. and Caroline Hilton. They had one child, Frances, a
daughter, who died in infancy. Mr. Hunter exercises his right of franchise in support of
the men and measures of the republican party but has never sought nor desired political
office. He belongs to Phi Gamma Delta, a college fraternity, and in Masonry has attained
the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite and has become a member of the Nile Temple
of the Mystic Shrine. He belongs to the Loyal Legion and along more strictly social lines
his connections are with the Rainier Club, the Arctic Club, the Seattle Athletic Club and the
Yacht Club, of the last three of which he is a life member. He stands as a high type of
American manhood and chivalry, recognizing the duties and obligations as well as the
privileges of citizenship and laboring effectively and earnestly to promote all those interests
and movements which feature in the public life and betterment of Seattle and the north-
west.



H. B. DREES.



H. B. Drees, deceased, was prominently known in real-estate circles in Seattle during
the latter years of his life and had previously been actively connected with mining interests.
He was also a recognized leader in the ranks of the democratic party in his adopted city.
Cincinnati claimed him as a native son, his birth having occurred there in 1863, and he
spent the entire period of his boyhood and youth in Ohio, where he acquired his education
in the public schools and afterward learned the trade of cabinetmaking. When a young
man, however, he heard and heeded the call of the west, being about twenty-five years
of age when in 1888 he came to Seattle. He never had occasion to regret his determination
to ally his interests with those of this section of the country. He secured a position with
Rolfs & Shoder, cabinetmakers and woodworkers, thus continuing in the line of work with
which he had previously become familiar. He remained with that firm for a number of
years and then entered the public service, being appointed to a position in the county
auditor's office, in which he continued for four years. Following the death of Mr. Rolfs,
Mr. Drees was again employed by his old firm to look after Mr. Rolfs' interest in the busi-
ness, acting as superintendent of the plant for a few years. His position was one of respon-
sibility but his duties were ably, promptly and faithfully executed. While engaged in the
line of his trade he put in the interior work in the courthouse and in the Washington
University. When he again severed his connection with that house he became secretary of
the Cooperative Mining Company and later was secretary and one of the stockholders of
the Phoenix Mining Company. At the same time he engaged in the real-estate business,
handling city property, and at another period in his life he filled the position of book-
keeper in the sheriff's office. He always took a very deep interest in politics and was a
prominent representative of the democracy, doing all in his power by active work to
further the interests and secure the success of the party.

On Christmas Day of 1888, in Seattle, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Drees and
Miss Augusta Windmiller, a native of Cincinnati, Ohio, who came to this city in 1887. To
them were born three children, namely: Cora, Margaret and Kathryn. Death caused a
break in the family circle when on the 8th of November. 1913, Mr. Drees passed away,
leaving many friends to mourn his loss.

He was a loyal member of the Fraternal Order of Eagles and did much to build



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 199

up the aerie here. He also held membership with the Red Men and the Ancient Order
of United Workmen. He had great faith in Seattle and manifested a genuine love for
and devotion to the city of his adoption, loyally supporting its interests and working for
its improvement in many ways. He was but a young man at the time of his removal
to the west, so that the greater part of the period of his manhood was passed here and
his fellow townsmen came to know him as one worthy of their respect and whose social
qualities made him popular.



ANDREW W. ARCHER.



Andrew W. Archer, president and manager of the Archer Linot3T)ing Company, first
came to Seattle in 1892, although he did not take up his permanent abode here until sev-
eral years later. He was born at Hollidays Cove, West Virginia, on the 12th of February,
1870, and is a son of Samuel and Mary W. (Wylie) Archer, both of whom were natives
of that state. The mother is now deceased, but the father makes his home in Washington.
He was formerly a newspaper publisher and resided at different times at St. Louis and
Sedalia, Missouri, publishing the Industrialist at the latter place. He also engaged in
newspaper publication at various points in North Carolina. For a period of several years
he gave his attention to the sheep industry in Missouri and served as secretary of the
National Wool Growers .A.ssociation. .A.bout 1910 he became a resident of Washington,
wliere he still makes his home. In Missouri he was always active as a supporter of repub-
lican politics and took a helpful interest in advancing the success of the party in the state
and in the nation. The spirit of reform has always been strong within him and he has
written and spoken largely upon questions of reform and improvement. At the time of
Morgan's raid into Ohio he joined forces with the federal government and thus aided in
the preservation of the Union. He is a member of the Patriotic Order Sons of America
and at all times he has cooperated in plans and projects which have advanced the interests
(if the country and tended to uplift the individual. High and honorable purposes have
actuated him at all times. He has the keenest desire for the welfare and happiness of
(itliers and, putting forth his efforts for good where assistance is most needed, he has Ijeen
a factor in ameliorating hard conditions for the unfortunate, supplanting want with com-
fort and replacing baneful conditions with those that tend to advance civilization. To liini
and his wife were born five children, of whom three are living. The daughter, Minnie
Lee, is now the wife of J. A. Fultz, a resident of Los Angeles, California, while Samuel
Archer is a member of the Archer Linotyping Company of Seattle.

The third member of the family is Andrew W. Archer, who pursued his education
in private schools of St. Louis, Missouri, until he reached the age of seventeen years. How-
ever, in the meantime he had begun to learn the printer's trade and he worked with his
father, following that line of business until 1888, when he removed to Sedalia,' Missouri,
where he began the publication of the Sentinel, a republican weekly paper. In 1892 he
disposed of his interests in Missouri and came to the northwest, settling at Seattle, but
later for a period of five years was in the government printing office at Washington, D. C.
In 1900 he returned to Seattle and in 1901 established his present business under the name
of the Archer Linotyping Company, this being the second oldest enterprise of that char-
acter in the city. Mr. Archer is the president and manager of the business, while his brother
Samuel is secretary. The firm employs from six to twelve men and has the leading plant
of the kind in the city.

In Philadelphia, Penn.sylvania, on the 28th of .'\pril, 1892, Mr. Archer was married
to Miss Elbe Thornton, a native of California and a daughter of George A. and Ellie R.
Thornton, who were pioneer residents of that state. Mr. Thornton was a graduate of West
Point. Mr. and Mrs. Archer have become the parents of four children, Samuel T., Helen R.,
Mary W. and Grace Ellen.

The family reside at No. 1801 Twenty-fifth avenue and Mr. .A.rcher has his office and
plant at No. 500 Collins building. He was' a member of the Washington National Guard
during the Spanish-.^merican war. lint was not called upon for active service at the front.



200 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

He votes with the democratic party but is not an active worker in political circles. He
belongs to the Commercial Club and to the Arctic Club and he has membership in the
United Presb3'terian church. An investigation of his record shows that fidelity to duty
is one of his strong characteristics and that his life has ever been such as would bear the
closest investigation and scrutiny. Laudable ambition has prompted him to put forth
effort along lines that have brought success and he has worked diligently, ever recognizing
the fact that industry is the basis of all honorable business advancement.



ALTON W. LANE.



Alton \V. Lane, president of the Olympic Oil Company, Iiaving general offices in
Seattle with properties in the oil fields of Jefferson and Clallam counties, was born at
Deer Isle, Maine, in December, 1870, a son of W. S. Lane, who in 187 1 removed with his
family to Chicago. Four years later they went to Winter Park, Florida, where Alton W.
Lane attended Rollins College until 1890, in which year he took his initial step in busi-
ness, entering the employ of the Florida Centra! & Peninsula Railroad Company. He
afterward became connected in business with his father, who was a building contractor,
that association being maintained until i8g6, wdien Mr. Lane came to Seattle and became
a student in the University of Washington. He completed a course in mining engineering
in 1901 and afterward went to Alaska, where he followed his profession until 1908. In
that year he returned to Seattle and engaged in prospecting for oil in Jefferson and
Chehalis counties and his labors were attended with success, resulting in 1910 in the organi-
zation of the Olympic Oil Company, of which he has since been the president.

In December, 1902, Mr. Lane was united in marriage in Seattle to Miss Emma Joj'ce,
and they have two children, William and Alton, both attending the public schools. Mr. Lane
is a republican in his political views but without aspiration for ofiice. He belongs to the
Congregational church, guiding his life by its teachings, and he is also an exemplary repre-



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 24 of 142)