Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 26 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 26 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


by renting a farm his cash capital was but seventy-five cents. The passing years have
chronicled his steady progress accomplished through his own efforts, and while he is not
a wealthy man, he is now in comfortable circumstances, owning a beautiful home at No.
5012 Eleventh avenue. Northeast, and other realty holdings which he finds ample for his
immediate and future needs. He has a host of warm friends and a larger speaking
acquaintance m Seattle than perhaps ninety-five per cent of his fellow citizens. Both Mr.
and Mrs. Eastland occupy an enviable position in social circles where intelligence and true
worth are received as the passports into good society.



DON HENRY PALMER, M. D.

Dr. Don Henry Palmer, vice president of the Washington State Medical Society
and president of the King County Medical Society, has gained distinction in a profession
where advancement depends entirely upon individual merit and ability. He was born in
Lincoln, Nebraska, November 21, 1877, a son of Alfred Lee and Rocelia Ann (Chase)
Palmer, mention of whom is to be found elsewhere in this volume. He was but five
years of age when his parents removed with their family to Seattle and in the public
schools he pursued his education. Later he attended the University of Washington, from
which he was graduated with the degrees of Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Pedagogy
in 1899. Broad literary learning thus served as a foundation upon which to build the
superstructure of professional knowledge. Having resolved to engage in medical practice
as a life work, he went to Chicago and in 1903 won his professional degree upon graduation
from Rush Medical College. He was the winner of the Daniel Brainard medal for surgical
anatomy and was second in the L. C. P. Freer contest in medicine. In 1903 he was an
alternate at the Cook County Hospital. He is a member of the surgical staff of the City
Hospital, of the Children's Orthopedic Hospital, the King County Hospital and the Seattle
Public School Clinic.

After becoming thoroughly equipped by college training and hospital experience for
private practice, Dr. Palmer returned to Seattle and has since followed his profession. He
has advanced steadily step by step in ability and in public regard and favor and is now
accorded a liberal practice. He is a thorough and discriminating student, reading broadly,
thinking deeply and drawing logical deductions from his daily duties. He is the inventor
of a surgical instrument which bears his name and is credited with an original operation
in the treatment of cauliflower ear. He belongs to the American Medical Association, the
Washington State Medical Society, the King County Medical Society, the Seattle Anatomical
Club and the Seattle Surgical Club. In 191 2 he was appointed a trustee of the State
Medical Society and the following year was elected its vice president. Also in 1913 he
fins elected a trustee of the County Medical Society and in 1914 was chosen its president.



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 211

He was elected delegate of the Washington State Medical Society to the American Medical
Society meeting of 1916.

On the 3d of September, 1902, Dr. Palmer was married to Miss Maude Gruwell, the
wedding ceremony being performed in New York. Two children, Dorothy and Rex, aged
ten and seven years respectively, make up his family. While his profession is always his
first interest, he is active along other lines and his fraternal and club connections have
brought him a wide acquaintance. He held the all round championship in field sports for
the Pacific northwest when he was graduated from the University of Washington in 1899.
In 191 1 he organized the Big W Club at the University of Washington and is still its
secretary-treasurer. In 1912 he was president of the University of Washington Alumni
Association and is a member of Alpha Chapter of Phi Beta Kappa, University of Washing-
ton, Phi Rho Sigma, a medical fraternity, and the Alpha Omega Alpha honor society in
meidicine. He likewise has membership in the Loyal Legion of Washington and in the
Arctic and Seattle Athletic Clubs. Dr. Palmer is a member of the Masonic order, having
attained the Knights Templar degree and belonging to Nile Temple of the Nobles of the
Mystic Shrine. He is alert and enterprising, a typical young man of the northwest, alive
to his interests and to his opportunities and recognizing with equal readiness the chances
for promoting his city's upbuilding and improvement. He attacks everything that he under-
takes with a contagious enthusiasm that secures for the cause which he advocates many
followers.



JOHN ALBERT FOREHAND.

John Albert Forehand, who has devoted his life to telegraphy, was chief operator for
the Western Union at Seattle for some time and was occupying that position at the time
of the great fire and it was he who sent the news of the conflagration to various parts of
the country. Mr. Forehand is a native of Indiana, his birth having occurred upon a farm
in Howard county, that state, October 25, 1862. He spent his youthful days in the home
of his parents, Lewis and Rosannah Forehand. He attended the common school of Kokomo,
Indiana, and there made his initial step in the business world by securing the position of
messenger boy with the Western Union Telegraph Company when sixteen years of age.
On leaving school he took up the study of telegraphy, with which profession he has since
been connected. When seventeen years of age he was agent and operator for the Frank-
fort & Kokomo Railroad at Russiaville, Indiana, and from there went to Indianapolis in the
employ of the Western Union. Subsequently he went to Richmond, Indiana, as press
operator and from there to Mandan, North Dakota, in December, 1884. Later he became
chief operator and wire chief and ultimately train dispatcher.

Mr. Forehand has long been identified with professional activity in the northwest and
came from Portland, Oregon, to Seattle, as chief operator for the Western Union on the
9th of March, 1889. On the 6th of June of the same year a conflagration broke out and
as it neared the office the people started to move out. They could get no team to haul the
equipment as everything was already engaged, so Mr. Forehand and his associates moved
the instruments in a wheelbarrow. When everything was gone he took a lineman, a lantern
and a box relay (a telegraph set) and went out on the old Columbia & Puget Sound
Railway line, cut in on one of the wires and using a buggy seat for a chair and a box for
a table, while the lantern furnished light, he sent out the news of the great fire. On Septem-
ber I, 1890, he associated himself with the Postal Telegraph-Cable Company, with which
he has since remained. He has held positions as operator, chief operator, and manager
of the Seattle office and in February, 1907, was made superintendent of the second district,
Pacific division, which comprises the states of Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana.

Mr. Forehand has been twice married. On the 23d of November, 1898, in Seattle, he
wedded Ivah Shoals Gormley, who died May 7, 1901, and on the 23d of December, 1908, at
Walla Walla, Washington, he was united in marriage to Miss Grace Nelle Le Cornu, thf
daughter of the Rev. John Le Cornu, who was chaplain at the Walla Walla penitentiary foi
eight years. Mr. Forehand's first wife was a sister of Matt H. Gormley, very prominent in



212 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

connection with the miHtia and also in political circles in Seattle. Mr. Forehand's first wife
was a widow with one child, a son, whom he adopted — Harry R. Forehand. This son
wedded Mary Cotterill, a cousin of George F. Cotterill, former mayor of Seattle. By
liis second marriage Mr. Forehand has two sons, John Vernon and Robert Le Cornu, aged
respectively six and one years.

Mr. Forehand has never taken a very active part in political affairs but indorses the
principles of the democratic party, although he votes independently at local elections. He
belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and to the Independent Order of Good
Templars. He has passed through all of the chairs in Golden Link Lodge, No. 150, I. O.
O. F., and in the Patriarchs Militant branch of the order has held various offices and was
brigadier general of the First Brigade, Department of Washington, in 1910 and igii and was
assistant adjutant general and brigadier general in 1912, 1913 and 1914. He is also a mem-
ber of Ridgeley Rebekah Lodge, No. 6. He has held all of the offices in Seattle Lodge,
No. 6, I. O. G. T., and has been grand chief templar of the state. He is a member and
trustee of the Madrona Presbyterian church and these associations indicate the rules which
have governed his conduct, making him a man whom to know is to esteem and honor.



EDWARD BRADY.



Edward Brady, a prominent attorney of Seattle, was born at Rio, Columbia county,
W'isconsin, May 10, 1859. and was one of a family of seven children. His parents, John
and Rosa (Nugent) Brady, were born near the town of Ballyduff in County Cavan,
Ireland. The father came to America in 1833. ^"d the mother a few years later. His
father, John Brady, served as a soldier of the Mexican war and after returning from that
conflict removed with his family to Wisconsin in 1848, settling on a farm about a mile
from the village of Rio. He and his wife were verj' desirous that all of their children
should be well educated and made many personal sacrifices to that end.

Edward Brady spent his early life upon the farm and attended the village school.
In the fall of 1875, at the age of sixteen, he entered the University of Wisconsin and
graduated from that institution in the classical department in 1881. He was able to
attend the university and complete his course by reason of financial assistance given to
him by one of his older brothers, John Bradj', to whom he always feels grateful and
whom he considers his greatest benefactor. For seven years following his graduation
he devoted his time to teaching and to the study of law and during that period he
availed himself of the opportunity of broadening his education and laying the foundation
for higher scholarship. In 1888 he came to Seattle and located here in the practice of law.
During the twenty-seven years in this city his business has been in the nature of a general
law practice. He and his associates have transacted a large volume of legal business
covering cases of nearly all kinds and descriptions. His first association in the law
business was with Henry C. Schaefer, a friend of his, a young graduate of the Wisconsin
State University. Mr. Schaefer unfortunately had an attack of typhoid fever and died
in tlie summer of 1893.

On the 6th of June, 1894, the anniversary of the Seattle fire, Edward Brady and
Wilson R. Gay formed a law partnership under the firm name of Brady & Gay and had
offices in the Roxwell building, on First avenue and Columbia street, occupying practically
the entire front part of the second floor of that building. Upon the completion of the
Alaska building, the first constructed of Seattle's new and modern office buildings, they
moved into it. The partnership of Brady & Gay continued for about twelve years and
was one of the best known law firms in the state. In 1908, Edward Brady formed a
law partnership with George H. Rummens, under the firm name of Brady & Rummens,
with offices in the Alaska building, where they now conduct their business, having the
confidence of the entire community for faithfulness and efficiency in their professional
work.

Mr. Brady has always taken great interest in the growth and development of Seattle.
Immediately upon his arrival in Seattle he and Charles M. Morris, a friend of his from




EOWARO P.RAin'



;v\



rJiiONa;



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 215

his native town. Rio, Wisconsin, purchased a tract of land, then a forest, on the ridge
overlooking Lake Washington, which they cleared, improved and platted into lots under
the name of Prospect Terrace Addition. Many nice homes are now located in this addi-
tion. They afterward purchased a tract of land on the ridge north of Lake Union which
tiicy cleared, improved and platted in the addition known as Edgewater's Second Addi-
tion. Upon the revival of the city's growth in igo2, Edward Brady, in association with
Dr. A. P. Mitten, one of Seattle's prominent citizens, now deceased, built the Summit
building on the first hill at the corner of Madison street and Minor avenue, which for a
l.ing time was one of the best family hotels in the city. They later disposed of this
property. At the time of the erection of this building it was considered a very great
advancement in the way of affording high-class living accommodations for the pulilic.
In 1909, in association with J. H. Raymond, a contractor and builder of this city, he
built the Monmouth apartments, a large brick building covering the entire block fronting
on Yesler Way from Twentieth avenue to Twenty-first avenue : they also built the
Raymond apartments, a fine four-story brick building on First avenue and Warren
avenue ; both of these apartment houses are among the best in the city and the company
composed of Edward Brady and J. H. Raymond still own them. Edward Brady owns a
number of pieces of good real estate in the city of Seattle, and a number of line tracts
lying north of the city. His investments and enterprises have not been confined entirelv
to Seattle. In 1902, in association with his brother, James Brady, he formed a corpora-
lion known as the Brady Shingle Company which for over ten years operated a mill
at Edmonds, Washington, which was one of the leading industries of thai town. At
the death of his brother in 1912, he disposed of this property. In 1902, in association
with A. H. Ruelle, a prominent lumberman of this city, he invested in a shingle and
timber business and purchased a large tract of land and timber north of Lake Washing-
ton, around and about Summit Lake in Kane county, which a few years afterward they
sold to the Campbell Lumber Company, reserving to themselves the eighty acres of land,
upon which is situated the beautiful little lake, and through which the new brick road
from Seattle is now projected to be built. In his investments that required personal
attention he has always endeavored to associate himself with a faithful, competent man
to manage carefully the details and in this way he avoided diverting his attention from his
profession. His enterprises have been quite uniformly successful.

In 1897 he made a location on some coal lands at Issaquah, King county, and after-
ward acquired title to the property from the United States government. This property
was held for a number of years by the law firm of Brady & Gay and recently has been
disposed of to the Issaquah & Superior Coal Company and forms one of its most valuable
holdings. The success of this venture in the location of coal lands has led him to invest
in other coal lands and at the present time he owns a large tract of coal land adjoining
the Newcastle coal mine in King county. He owns a number of small tracts of timber
in western Washington, and a number of large tracts of irrigable lands in eastern
Washington.

In 1903, at Monmoutli, Illionis, he married Miss Lcola Douglas, the daughter of Mr.
and Mrs. H. S. Douglas, both natives of Illinois, being each the representative of a
prominent pioneer family of that state. Her grandfather, Samuel Douglas, served witli
honor and distinction as an officer in the Eighty-third Illinois Cavalry Regiment during
the Civil war. Her mother's maiden name was Louisa Rej-nolds, and her father, Samuel
Reynolds, was one of the first settlers in Knox county, Illinois, where he and his wife
lived to a ripe old age and were honored and beloved by all. Mr. and Mrs. Brady liave
two children : Edward Douglas Brady, a boy of ten years ; and Anna Louise Brady, a
little girl of six years. They have their comfortable and hospitable home in the beautiful
Capitol Hill district at the northeast corner of Thirteenth avenue North and Aloha
street. Mrs. Brady takes great interest in her home and in her children. They lead a
quiet home life and are kind and generous to all they meet without the least pretension
of any kind. It may be truly said of them that success and wealth have not spoiled them
but on the contrary have enabled them to be kinder, more sympathetic and more useful
to their fellowman.

It would be difficult to classify Mr. Brady in his political affiliations. He belongs

Vol. Ill— 1(1



216 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

to that large and independent element that believes that each new question is to be solved
by itself independent of any party organization. In social organizations he is a life
member of the Seattle Athletic Club, a life member of the Arctic Club and a member
of the Commercial Club. In the fraternal orders he is a member of the Elks, Ancient
Order of United Workmen, Woodmen of the World and Knights of the Maccabees.



OGDEN H. LAMOREUX.



Ogden H. Lamoreux, official criminal and court reporter in the prosecuting attorney's
office at Seattle, vifas born in New York city, January 3, 1875, a son of L. H. and Mary
Lamoreu.x. At the usual age he became a public school pupil, thus continuing his studies
until 1889, during which time he also acted as messenger boy for Chauncey M. Depew,
who was then president of the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad Company.
On coming to the northwest, in 1889, Mr. Lamoreu.x established his home in Seattle and
accepted a position as office boy with A. C. Bowman, court reporter. At the age of
fifteen he became a court stenographer and filled that position for five years, at the end
of which time he went to Bellingham, Washington, where he accepted the position of
official court reporter, spending his time there and in Vancouver, British Colurhbia, until
1908, when he returned to Seattle. At that date he was appointed by George F. Vandeveer,
prosecuting attorney, as criminal reporter for a year and continued in the same capacity
under Mr. Vandeveer's successor, John F. Alurphy, and also with A. H. Lunden, prose-
cuting attorney, as official criminal and court reporter. He possesses expert ability in
court reporting and his services have been highly satisfactory in the offices which he has
filled.

On the 27th of June, 1900, Mr. Lamoreux was married to Miss Alice A. Hood and
they hav« become the parents of two children, George E. and Dorothy May, both attending
the public schools. The family are Catholics in religious faith and Mr. Lamoreux is
identified also with the Knights of Columbus, the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks
and the Royal Arcanum. His political allegiance is given to the republican party, of which
he has been an earnest supporter since age conferred upon him the right of franchise.
Coming to the northwest in his youthful days, he has' been an interested witness of Seattle's
growth and development for many years and he is ever ready and willing to support any
movement which he deems beneficial to the advancement of municipal interests.



WARREN WHEELER PHILBRICK.

Warren Wheeler Philbrick is the president of the Philbrick Cutterhead Company, an
important manufacturing concern of Seattle, which was established in 1900 and incorporated
in 1903. Mr. Philbrick was born in Pittston, Maine, November 12, 1854, and grew to man-
hood in his native state. After attending the public schools he entered the Maine Wesleyan
Seminary at Kents Hill, from which he was graduated in 1872, when not yet eighteen years
of age. Not long thereafter he came to the west and settled at San Francisco, where he
remained until 1889, when he removed to Port Townsend, Washington. There he invested
heavily in the planing mill business, which, however, proved a disastrous step as he lost
everything. In 1892 he came to Seattle and as he was without capital it was necessary for
him to find work at his old trade, that of stickerman. He secured employment at two dol-
lars a day but did not receive all of his wages as the firm was too badly involved to meet
its obligations. During the time that he was in straitened financial circumstances he suc-
ceeded in inventing the Philbrick Cutterhead, the success of which has enabled him to
gain financial independence. Thus once more was illustrated the truth of the old adage
that necessity is the mother of invention. In 1900 he established the Philbrick Cutterhead
Company, which is engaged in the manufacturing of cutterheads for working flooring,
ceiling, shiplap and other planing mill stock. The company was incorporated in 1903 with



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 217

our subject as president and his son Clayton as vice president and secretary-treasurer. The
business of the concern has grown steadily and now totals between fifty and sixty thousand
dollars per year. They sell their product in all parts of the world and the demand for it
is constantly growing. The company was first located at No. 802 First Avenue, South, but
in July, 1915, removed to the Security building, where they occupy an entire floor.

On the 31st of December, 1877, at San Francisco, Mr. Philbrick was united in marriage
to Miss Floreita Pulsifer, who was born and reared in the same township in Maine as Mr.
Philbrick but whom he met for the first time in San Francisco. They have two children,
Nellie F. and Clayton, both natives of San Francisco. The latter was born on the 26th
of September, 1880, and on the 6th of September, 1913, was married to Miss Frances
Green, of Seattle. He is vice president of the Philbrick Cutterhead Company.

Both Mr. Philbrick and his son are republicans and both are members of the Arctic
Club, the son being a life member. The family are Protestants in religious faith. Mr.
Philbrick is a typical western man, resourceful and aggressive and confident of the great
future in store for this section of the country.



EDMUND MARBURG RIXIXGER, M. D.

Dr. Emund Marburg Rininger, of Seattle, who died on the 25th of July, 1912. was one
of the leading surgeons in the northwest and was also one of the most enthusiastic believers
in the future of the Puget Sound district. Although his important professional work
naturally made heavy demands upon his time he yet found opportunity to do much in
behalf of his city and section, and his demise was a loss not only to the profession hut
to the community at large.

Dr. Rininger was born in Schellburg. Bedford county, Pennsylvania, March 7, 1870, but
when a small child was taken by his parents, Eli and Margaret (Hoover) Rininger, to Kansas.
After a few years, however, the family returned to the east as the grasshopper plague
and other adverse conditions caused the father to decide that better opportunities were
after all ofl^ered in the eastern states. They located in Ohio and there Dr. Rininger grew
to years of maturity. After attending the public schools he matriculated in the Marion
Sims Medical College of St. Louis, from which he was graduated in 1893. His mental
vigor and his industry were attested by the fact that he completed a three years' course in
two years and graduated with second honors in class of 1893. In 1897 he went to Alaska and
during the winter of 1897 and 1898 conducted a drug store and hospital in Sheep's Camp.
In June of the latter year he and his wife built a boat and started alone for Dawson.
They made the long and hazardous trip successfully, going by way of Chilkoot Pass. As
Dr. Rininger could not practice in Dawson on account of its being in Canada he joined
A. S. Kerry and began prospecting, locating claim No. 11 above on Bonanza creek. In the
fall of 1899 Dr. Rininger went to Nome and resumed the practice of his profession. He also
built a large hospital, which was known as the Providence Hospital, and which was later
taken over by Providence Sisters and its capacity enlarged.

In the fall of 1904 Dr. Rininger returned to the States, took the required examination
in Spokane and was licensed to practice in the state of Washington. On the 3d of Jan-
uary, 1905, he took up his residence in Seattle and almost immediately became recognized
as a surgeon of unusual skill. While living in Alaska he spent two winters in New York
city taking postgraduate courses and throughout his life he read widely on professional
subjects. Thus through long experience and through keeping in touch with the work of
others he grew steadily in efficiency and as his ability increased his practice became more
and more important. He purchased land on Summit avenue at the corner of Columbia and
there began the construction of a large modern hospital, to the planning of which he had



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 26 of 142)