Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 29 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 29 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


was born at Lcwiston, Maine, October 6, 1863, ^ son of Joel H. and Melissa B. (Bassett)
Weymouth, who were also natives of the Pine Tree state. The family comes of English
and Irish ancestry, established in America in colonial days and represented in the Revolu-
tionary war. Four generations of the family have resided in this country. Joel H. Wey-
mouth enlisted for service in the Civil war and died in the year igo5, but his widow survives
and now makes her home in Tacoma.

Fred E. Weymouth pursued his education in the common schools of the Pine Tree
state and from 1880. being then seventeen years of age, until 191 1 was engaged in railroad
business. He was connected with the construction department and during the last eight
years of the time was operating superintendent of the Seattle division of the Northern
Pacific. Since January, igii, he has been engaged in a general contracting business in
Seattle under the incorporated name of the Weymouth Construction Company, with Mr.
Weymouth as the president and his wife. Mrs. M. L. Weymouth, as secretary-treasurer.
He has done much work in connection with railroad construction. He built the Northern
Pacific Pier No. I, built the substructure and piling for the east waterway terminal, known
as the Hanniford and Lander street dock. He rebuilt Pier No. 6 for the Chicago, Milwau-
kee & St. Paul Railway and rebuilt the Colman dock after it was destroyed by a steamer.



236 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

He also built the Bell street bridge for the city of Seattle and the shops of the Northern
Pacific at Tacoma. He built the Emerson street bridge for the Northern Pacific and the
Oregon & Washington Railroads, and during the construction work for the Northern
Pacific had charge of the building of twenty-four hundred feet of Northern Pacific wheat
wareliouses in Tacoma and in 1896 the big electric Northern Pacific coal bunkers in Tacoma.
For sixteen years he was in Tacoma and did all the construction work around the Northern
Pacific terminals. When the coal docks were burned in Seattle in 1883 he assisted in their
reconstruction under Chris Miller and also assisted in the construction of the first broad
gauge track in Seattle in 18S3-4, on trestles along the water front, for the Oregon Improve-
ment Company. He was in Seattle during the memorable Chinese riots and was on guard
for the Columbia & Puget Sound Railroad, assisting for several days in maintaining order,
aiding in guarding the Chinese when they were massed on the Oregon Improvement dock.
At present he is engaged in bridge work, building a bridge over the White river, at Buck-
ley, for King county. He owns property in both Seattle and Tacoma but resides in the
former city.

On the 22d of February, 1890, in Tacoma, Mr. Weymouth was joined in wedlock to
Miss Mary Leana Young, a native of Michigan and a daughter of Byron Young, a retired
contractor. The family comes of English descent and was represented in the Revolutionary
war. Mr. Weymouth is a republican but not active in politics, although he has represented
his party in local conventions. He belongs to the Commercial Club and fraternally is
identified with the Knights of the Maccabees. His life work has been of an important
character and has brought him into prominent relations with public utilities. He under-
stands every scientific -as well as every practical phase of the business in which he has
engaged and has executed some most important projects, making the Weymouth Company
one of the foremost in its line in the nortliwest.



JUDGE WILSON RILEY GAY.

Wilson Riley Gay, formerly judge of the superior court for King county, retired
from the bench in 1912 to enter upon the private practice of law, to which he is now
devoting his energies. He had been for four years actively connected with the judiciar}'
and his record for just and equitable decisions based upon a comprehensive knowledge
of the law is unassailable. His decisions indicated strong mentality, careful analysis
and an unbiased judgment. He possesses that broad-mindedness which not only compre-
hends the details of a situation quickly but which insures a complete self-control under
even the most exasperating conditions. He is now accorded a large and distinctively
representative clientage, for he is one of the foremost lawyers of the northwest and he
is also equally well known as a public speaker.

Judge Gay was born January 10, 1859, on a farm on French creek, in the extreme
eastern part of Erie count}', Pennsylvania, near Mill Village. He acquired a common-
school education, supplemented by study in the Edinboro State Normal School of Edin-
boro, Pennsylvania, and as a young man he took up the profession of teaching in Erie
county, being thus engaged for a year. At the age of eighteen he severed home ties
in the east and removed to Maryville, Nodaway county, Missouri, where he taught school
for a year and studied law in the office and under the direction of Judge Scribner R.
Beech, being admitted to the bar in November, 1879, when twenty years of age. He lived
in Missouri, much of tlie time in Rock Port, Atchison county, until the fall of 1888.

It was at that time that Judge Gay removed to the northwest, settling first at Portland,
Oregon, where he lived for a year, engaged in the real-estate business as a temporary
makeshift. In the fall of 1889 he removed to Port Angeles, where he resided and engaged
in the practice of law until 1893. During that period he was United States circuit court
commissioner and the principal officer' before whom settlers proved titles to lots on that
government townsite. In 1893 he came to Seattle to engage in the practice of law, form-
ing a partnership with Edward Brady, under the firm name of Brady & Gay. Here a




JUDGE WILSOX R GAV



..RY



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 2:39

libera! clientage of an important character was accorded him and his ability brought him
Iirominently to the front. In 1897 he was appointed United States attorney for the
district of Washington, which then comprised the entire state, and in that position he
remained until July, 1902. In the fall of IQ09 he was elected judge of the superior court
for King county, which position he held until Ma\-. nju, when he resigned to reenter
practice. Judge Gay is a stockholder and one of the directors of the Post-Intelligencer
Publishing Company and has other important financial and property interests, but he
regards the practice of law as his real life work. He has in an eminent degree that rare
ability of saying in a convincing way the right thing at tlie right time. His mind is
analytical, logical and inductive. With a thorougli and comprehensive knowledge of the
fundamental principles of law he combines a familiarity with statutory law and a sober,
clear judgment which makes him not only a formidable adversary in legal combat but
gave him tlie distinction, while on the bench, of having few of his decisions revised or
reversed. He is a well known writer on legal subjects and his articles on automobile
law are now being published in the Post-Intelligencer.

Judge Gay was married in l8go to Miss Lillian P.. Kudd and tlicy have a daughter,
Hazel, now the wife of Rollin R. Humber. of Deer Lodge, Montana. Judge Gay is a
member of various secret societies and is also popular in club circles. He is a republican,
active in the party, and since the admission of Washington to statehood he has been a
delegate to all county and state conventions. His services are always in demand as a
public speaker and his addresses are listened to with interest and are characterized by
the strictest logic. Always courteous and pleasant, he represents the type of "old school"
chivalry and courtesy, having the faculty of placing anyone at ease in his presence, so
tliat it is a pleasure to meet and converse with him. The circle of his friends is almost
coe.Kteiisive with the circle of his aciiuaintance.



FREDERICK R. BURCH.



I'rcilcrick R. Lurch is an active member of the Seattle bar. He has not specialized
along a particular line but continues in general practice and has displayed marked ability
in the separation of the salient features of a case from its accidental or incidental circum-
stances. In trial he is ready and resourceful and his logic carries coiiviction to the minds
of court and jury. Pie was born in Santa Cruz county. California. December 28, 1867. a son
of Everett C. Lurch, a native of New York. His great-grandfather in the paternal line
was English, while his great-grandmother was (icrnian. Everett C. Lurch was an own
cousin of William H. Seward. In the maternal line Frederick R. Lurch is descended from
Scotch ancestry, the genealogical line being traced back to three brothers who came from
Scotland during colonial days. One of them went to the south, while two remained in
New York, one of wdiom became the progenitor of the family of which Frederick R.
Lurch is a representative.

Everett C. Lurch was a pioneer of California who went to that state by way of the
Isthmus of Panama in 1840. He engaged in mercantile business on the Sacramento river
initil 1S52 and then returned, with wealth considerably increased through his operations in
the west, to New York state, where he remained until 1853. In that year, with others, he
outfitted an expedition and caravan and with ox teams crossed the plains, the party at
length reaching their destination happy in their safe arrival. Mr. Lurch settled at Lonita,
California, where he remained for several years, successfully carrying on mercantile pur-
suits. Later he removed to Livermore. and still later to the state of Washington where
he passed away in 1886. at the age of fifty-six years. His wife, who bore the maiden name
of Ellen O. Cumins was descended from an old New York family of Scotch descent. She
was born in the Empire state and became one of the pioneer w^omcn of California, traveling
with a caravan to the west, an older brother being one of the party. She arrived in Cali-
fornia in 1853, and soon afterward met and married Everett C. Lurch. She is still living,
enjoying the comforts of life in the home of one of her sons. She became the mother of
live children, three sons and two daughters.
Vui. HI- 11



240 HISTORY UF SEATTLE

Frederick R. Burch, the youngest of the family, acquired his education in the schools
of Pescadero and San Jose, California, alter which he spent several years in travel and
study and also gave much time to business enterprises. Both during this period and before,
he studied law, it being his ambition when a school boy to become a member of the legal
profession. He removed to this state in 1886 and became a resident of Seattle in 1S94.
That year he entered the law office of William Martin, with whom he studied until admitted
to the bar in iSg6, being licensed to practice in all of the courts. In the active work of the
profession he has won distinction, liaving had charge of several cases of large importance
in both civil and criminal annals — cases that have attracted national attention. He was the
attorney for defendant in the trial of a noted case wherein the defendant was charged with
using the mail to defraud. The trial lasted six weeks and required the examination of
four hundred witnesses. He makes no specialty of criminal law, however, his business
being largely of a civil nature, and in that branch of the profession he enjoys an e.\tensive
practice. His ability is attested by contemporaries and colleagues and further testimonial
of his skill at the bar is found in the court records, which indicate that he has won many
verdicts favorable to his clients.

In his political views Mr. Burch is a stalwart progressive. In 1901 he served as a mem-
ber of the state legislature of Washington. His fraternal relations are with the Elks, Camp
No. 69, W. O. W., and Elliott Bay Camp, M. W. A., and his military record covers two
years' service in Company B of the Washington State National Guard under Captain George
H. Fortson, who was later killed in the Philippines.

Mr. Burch was married October 3, 1900, to Miss Lova Shogren and they reside in the
Lake View apartments, while Mr. Burch has his office in the New York block. He is a
man of studious habits who reads broadly and thinks deeply. He is particularly well known
as an authority upon financial matters and monetary systems of the day and has made a
special study of the economics of finance. He is the author of a treatise entitled "San-Dro,
A Discussion of Interest," which was issued in book form in 1915. The work is a most
clear exposition of conditions that exist in the financial world, of causes that have led up
to these conditions and of solutions for problems which are engaging the serious attention
of many thinking men of the age — the problems that concern the accumulation and use of
wealth. Nature endowed Mr. Burch with an analytical mind and his life work has developed
this habit of analysis, which he brings to bear upon the consideration of all of the important
problems to which he turns his attention. For some time he was deeply impressed with the
idea that the abuse of money had a much closer connection with the cause of poverty and
misery in the world than was generally understood, but the cares of his profession left him
little opportunity to reflect upon the subject and reach a conclusion satisfactory to himself.
In 1914, however, he took an extended hunting trip in the Talkeetna mountains of Alaska
and there "in the quiet and impressive solitude of the mountains, the perspective of life
and the true relation and duties of man to man are presented in a clearer and grander
view."- It was there that his ideas took definite shape and relation, resulting in the writing
of the work entitled "San-Dro," a most lucid, clear and logical explanation of how money
is abused, a work that may well be read by all thinking people, as it throws much light
upon conditions of the present and points a way for the solution of many vexing questions.



LEE ELLIOTT.



Lee Elliott resided in Washington for twenty-five years and during the greater part
of that time was a resident of Seattle. He was connected with the harness-making business
and was highly esteemed and respected by all who came in contact with him. He was born
in Warren, Indiana, and when twenty years of age emigrated to Iowa, whence he went to
Dakota territory. He only remained there for a short time, however, and in 18S7 made
his way to Seattle. He worked with M. McTeigh, a harness maker, for some time, but
following the great fire of i88g he started a shop for himself on First avenue and Bell
street. Two years thereafter he removed to Spokane but did not remain there permanently.
On returning to Seattle he became foreman for I. M. Henderson. He was enggaed in the



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 241

harness-making business until his demise and was well known in trade circles. He under-
stood all pliases of his work thoroughly and all who had dealings with him recognized his
integrity and uprightness. He gave practical proof of his faith in the future of the city by
investing in Seattle real estate and he made improvements on some of his property which
yielded him a gratifying addition to his annual income.

Mr. Elliott was married in Iowa in 1883 to Miss Josephine Young, who was born in
Ohio. To this union were born six children, of whom four are living, namely: Leo,
who is employed in the postoffice in Seattle ; Cecil, who is a corporal in the United States
Army; Ruth, the wife of F. W. Steyh of Seattle; and Harvey at home.

Mr. Elliott cast his ballot in support of the republican party but was never active in
politics. He attended the Presbyterian church and fraternally was identified with the
Masonic order, the Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias. His life was characterized
by public spirit and a willingness to place the general welfare above private interests and
in all relations he measured up to high standards of manhood. His many friends sincerely
mourned his demise, which occurred on the 7th of February, 1912, when he was fifty-eight
years of age.



FRANK A. HILL.



Frank A. Hill, a consulting engineer whose broad experience enables him to speak
authoritatively concerning many engineering projects and problems which have figured in
the development of the northwest, has specialized in his professional service as a mining
engineer, particularly in connection witli the development of the coal fields. He arrived
in Seattle in 1889. He was then thirty-six years of age, his birth having occurred in AIus-
catinc, Iowa, June 29, 1852. He is descended from Puritan ancestry, representatives of
the name having become New England colonists long prior to the Revolutionary war.
The family is of English origin, and when the colonics attempted to throw off the yoke
of British oppression, among the Continental troops were those who bore the name of
Hill. In fact the name has figured prominently in connection with the history of New
England through various generations. The maternal grandfather of F. A. Hill was a sea
captain and was lost at sea when on active duty as an officer of a sailing vessel.

Sylvester G. Hill, the father of Frank A., was born in Rhode Island and became a
millman and cabinetmaker. At one time he was owner of a sawmill and a door and sash
factory in Iowa, to which state he removed about 1849. Hardly had the smoke from Fort
Sumter's guns cleared away at the time of the Civil war before he offered his aid to the
government and became a private in an Iowa regiment. Later his company elected him
captain and subsequently he was appointed colonel of the Thirty-fifth Regiment of Iowa
Volunteer Infantry. He participated in the Red River campaign and the siege of Vicks-
burg and went with General Banks through Missouri in pursuit of General Hood. He
was brevetted major-general for brilliant services and met his death in the battle of Nash-
ville. His widow, long surviving him. reached the remarkable old age of eighty-four years.
At the time of her husband's death she was left with ten of their eleven children, one having
previously passed away. Mrs. Hill bore the maiden name of Martha J. Dyer and was a
native of Maine.

Frank A. Hill was left fatlierless when only twelve years of age. His youth was
devoted to the work of the schoolroom in his native town and later he took up the study
of mining and civil engineering, in which he became" very proficient. To those professions
he has devoted his life, being active along those lines in Iowa, Illinois, Texas, Kansas and
Washington. His exact technical skill and practical knowledge, combined with excellent
administrative ability, have won him advancement and he has become a prominent figure
in his chosen field. He came to Seattle on the 8th of January, 1889, as general superin-
tendent and chief engineer of the Oregon Improvement Company, now known as the
Pacific Coast Company, and he has since been identified with the coal mining industry in
Washington and in Canada. He is well known as an expert in coal mining, as a mining
engineer and as manager of coal properties. In Iowa he was superintendent of mines for



242 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

the American Coal Company and later held a similar connection with the Oregon Improve-
ment Company, the Western American Company and the Eureka Company. Eventually
he entered the employ of the Seattle Electric Company, owner of the mines at Renton.
He became superintendent of the mines there and gave excellent satisfaction in the dis-
charge of the important and responsible duties which devolved upon him. From his initial
service in the engineering camp on the Rock Island Railway in 1868 he has steadily pro-
gressed. He followed railroad building as an engineer until 1890 and as chief engineer
he built railroads in Texas, Kansas and Iowa. Following his arrival in the northwest he
built the Port Townsend & Seattle Northern Railroad in this state. There are no features
of engineering with which he is not familiar. His experience has been broad and of a most
varied character and for difficult engineering problems he has found successful solution.
He now maintains an office in Seattle as consulting engineer and makes a specialty of
coal mining.

Captain Hill has been married twice. On the 29th of January, 1874, he wedded Miss
Mary Martin, who was born in Ohio and died in March, 1890, leaving a daughter, Clara
A., who is now the wife of W. S. Personeus, of Seattle. In 1891 Mr. Hill was again mar-
ried, his second union being with Miss Ella Martin, a sister of his first wife, and their
children are Frank, Hester, Leonora and Hobart.

In his fraternal relations Mr. Hill is a Mason, while his political allegiance is given to
the republican party. He is proud of being a citizen of Seattle and has taken most active
and helpful part in developing its business interests and in promoting the welfare of the
state. He counts it much more honorable to do one's duty well than to boast of an honored
ancestry, and it has ever been cliaracteristic of Mr. Hill that he has fully met the obliga-
tions and responsibilities of life, whether in business affairs or in citizenship.



THOMAS A. JONES.

Thomas A. Jones, who figured in business circles in Seattle in connection with con-
tracting and also as a representative of agricultural interests in this part of the state,
passed away in October, 1895, leaving to his family a goodly inheritance. He had won
substantial success in business by well directed energy and effort and as the years went
on added to his income until he was the possessor of a very substantial competence. He
was a native of New Jersey and in the middle period of his life was one of the prominent
citizens of Fairbury, Illinois, where he was extensively engaged in farming, coal mining
and in merchandising. He there carried on business until 1883, when he disposed of his
interests in Illinois and came to Seattle. He purchased three tracts of land near the city
and at once engaged in farming and also in the contracting business in connection with
his son, Thomas E., under the firm style of T. A. Jones & Son. They developed a busi-
ness of large and gratifying proportions, receiving many important contracts, and Mr.
Jones was thus actively engaged to the time of his death, which occurred in October, 1895.

It was in the year 1846 that Mr. Jones was united in marriage to Miss Minerva Darnall,
a native of Kentucky. She was a lady of remarkable force of character and ability and
was numbered among the highly esteemed pioneer women of this section of the state.
She was born in Boone county, Kentucky, August 31. 1828, and was two years of age when
her parents removed to Livingston county, Illinois, being among the pioneer residents of
that district. Her father. M. V. Darnall, was among the organizers of Livingston county
and its townships and held many positions of honor and trust there. Following her mar-
riage Mrs. Jones became a most able assistant to her husband, her sound judgment and
valuable advice proving an important element in his growing success. After his death she
gave personal supervision to the farm north of Green Lake, which she and her husband had
hewed out of the forest and brought to a high state of cultivation. She always took
great pride and satisfaction in that place and continued active in its management until
the last five years of her life. During her later years she lived with her son, T. E. Jones,
and her daughter. Mrs. Fuller, both of Seattle, and passed away at the home of her daugh-
ter on the nth of November. 1002, at the age of seventy-four years, two months and nine




THO^rAS A. lOXES



• A.






HISTORY OF SEATTLE 245

days. She was survived by four children: Mrs. Rachel Fuller. Mrs. Olive De Wolfe and
T. E. Jones, all of Seattle; and Airs. Iva Kendrick, of San Francisco. Both Mr. and Mrs.
Jones were widely and favorably known and during the twelve years of his residence in
Seattle he became well established in business circles and enjoyed the confidence, respect
and goodwill of colleagues and contemporaries.



JAMES G. R.\LEy.



James G. Raley, practicing at the bar of Seattle and successfully engaged in professional
work, was born at Eagle Harbor, Michigan, April 27, 1881, a son of the Hon. William P.
Raley, who conies of English Quaker ancestry. He was a native of Ohio and in early life
successfully engaged in mercantile pursuits but later became prominent in public life and
for a number of years served as probate judge at Eagle River, Michigan. He passed away
July 2, 1911, at Calumet, Michigan, at the very advanced age of eighty-six years. In early



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 29 of 142)