Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 31 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 31 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


HISTORY OF SEATTLE 253

thirty million dollars was secured by fraud, while hundreds of settlers lost all they pos-
sessed as a result of the scheme. Mr. Chavelle likewise took charge of the Schricker
Bank at La Conner when it went to the wall. Mr. Chavelle has likewise been identified
with various other important proceedings of the courts. He is a lawyer of marked ability,
having comprehensive knowledge of the principles of jurisprudence, while in tlie applica-
tion of a legal principle he is soldom, if ever, at fault.

On the 9th of February, 1909, in Xew York city, Mr. Chavelle was married to Miss
Maud Gray, and they became parents of three sons, but lost their first born, Edward Gray,
in the sjiring of 1915. He was a great favorite not only with his parents but with all who
knew him, and was especially bright and precocious. His death was caused by brain
trouble. The other sons are Cornelius Carnwright and Charles Kenneth. Portraits of
all three have appeared in various papers and in photograph galleries as those of particularly
handsome and intellectually gifted youths.

Mr. Chavelle is a member of two Greek letter fraternities, the legal and the literary —
Phi Delta I'hi and the Theta Nu Epsilon. He belongs to the Arctic Club and is on the
memljership committee of the Chamber of Commerce. His interests are broad and bring
him into connection with those activities which touch upon the general welfare of society
and ui)on municipal affairs that are matters of civic virtue and civic pride. He has a
beautiiul home in the Denny Fuhrmau addition and he and his wife are prominent socially,
Mrs. Chavelle being recognized as a leader in many social affairs of the city. Theirs is
indeed an attractive home and they have a most extensive circle of friends among Seattle's
best residents.



VIVI.AX M. C.^RKF.EK.



Vivian M. Carkeck is a member of the bar of Seattle, in which city he was born
November 23, 1879, a son of Morgan J. Carkeck. He attended the public schools and was
graduated from the University of Washington in 1901, receiving the LL. B. degree upon
the completion of a course in law. He at once entered upon the active practice of his
profession and has since continued actively therein, being known as a hard worker and an
active student of legal matters.

In politics Mr. Carkeek is a repulilican, active in the ranks of the party. He belongs
to tlie Young Men's Republican Club and is identified also with, the Seattle Athletic Club,
the Seattle Commercial Club, the Native Sons, the Municipal League, the Washington
State An .Association and the Asiatic Society of Japan with headquarters at Tokio. In
all of these he is active. Moreover he is a member of the Episcopal church and his mem-
bership associations indicate the nature and breadth of his interests.



JAMES BAYLEY BKUEX.

James Baylcy Bruen, a successful practicing attorney of Seattle, has followed his pro-
fession in this city for the past si.xteen years and has built up an enviable clientage. His
birth occurred at Summit, New Jersey, on the 26th of March, 1873, his parents being
James DeHart and Margaret White (Munro) Bruen. In the acquirement of an education
he attended the preparatory schools of his native state and subsequently entered Prince-
ton University, from which he was graduated with the class of 1896. He then took up
the study of law at the New York Law School and continued his professional training
with A. Q. Kcasby & Sons, of Newark, New Jersey.

On the 1st of February, 1898, at Newark, Mr. Bruen was united in marriage to Miss
.\ugusta Prescott Allison. He spent six months in New Mexico and then came ot Seattle
in the fall of 1898. With the exception of the summer of 1900, when he went to Nome,
.Maska, he has remained a practicing lawyer of this city during the past sixteen years and
has always been alone except for two years when he was associated with William A. Greene,



254 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

under the lirm name of Bnien & Greene. His success in a professional way afifords the
best evidence of his capabilities in this line. He is a strong advocate with the jury, and
concise in liis appeals before the court. Much of the success which has attended him in
his professional career is undoubtedly due to the fact that in no instance will he permit
himself to go into court with a case unless he has absolute confidence in the justice of
his client's cause. Basing his efforts on this principle, from which there are far too
many lapses in professional ranks, it naturally follows that he seldom loses a case in whose
support he is enlisted. Mr. Bruen has also been interested with Norman J. Bruen in the
platting of various additions to Seattle, notably Bruen & Bests North Broadway Addition
and University Hill Tracts. He is widely recognized as a prominent and respected citizen
and enjoys an enviable reputation in both social and professional circles. He is a member
of the Sons of the American Revolution, of the Universitv Club, and of the Seattle .\thletic
Club.



SWAN LEWIS.



Swan Lewis, deceased, was a well known hotel proprietor of Seattle, having come to
this city in 1878 from Portland, wliere he had previously been connected with the hotel
business. He was born in Sweden in 1862 but was brought to America when only five
years of age. His father, Nets Lewis, removing to the northwest, was engaged in the
hotel business but died when his son Swan was seventeen years of age. His wife bore the
maiden name of Nellie Allison.

Swan Lewis was reared to the hotel business and became his father's successor. For
some time he was proprietor of the St. Charles Hotel, afterward conducted the Central
Hotel and still later tlie New Western Hotel, devoting his entire life to that business.
He was a popular liost, studying closely the wishes of his patrons and putting forth every
effort to satisfy those who were his guests. He built the New Western Hotel and resi-
dence property and during his connection with Seattle bought and sold much real estate,
making judicious and profitable investments.

In 1889 Mr. Lewis was united in marriage to Miss Hannah Johnson, who was born
in Sweden and in 1884 came to the northwest with her father, John Johnson, who engaged
for a time in farming in Pierce county, Washington, but is now living in Oregon. Mr.
and Mrs. Lewis have two living children, Laron and Madina, both of whom are residents
of Seattle. Tillie died at the age of twelve years.

In his fraternal relations Mr. Lewis was a Mason, always active in the order and he
belonged also to the Knights of Pythias and the Woodmen of the World. He also held
office in the Swedish Society but belonged to no other clubs. In politics he was a demo-
crat from the time that age conferred upon him the right of franchise and though he
was an active and earnest supporter of the principles of the party he never sought nor
desired office, preferring to concentrate his energies upon his business affairs. He was,
however, a public-spirited citizen and manifested many sterling traits of character as was
indicated by the goodwill, confidence and high regard entertained for him, when in 1908
he passed away at the age of forty-six years. His memory is yet enshrined in the hearts
of those who knew him, for he was a devoted friend and a loving husband and father.



FRANK M. CONN, M. D.



Dr. Frank M. Conn, deceased, was widely known in medical circles in Seattle and was
recognized as a prominent physician of the city. A native of Zanesville, Ohio, he was born
in 1847 and grew to manhood in the Buckeye state. After completing his general educa-
tion, he entered the Columbus Aledical College and later became a student in the Ohio
Medical College, from which he was graduated in March, 1873. In April of the same year
he located in Virginia City, Nevada, where he practiced his profession for some time. He
was also superintendent of the county hospital there and gained an enviable reputation




SWAX LEWIS



HISTORY OF SEATTLE L>:57

as a ijhysician and as an executive. In 1890 he came to Seattle and from that time luUil
his demise, which occurred on the 24th of July, 1912, concentrated his energies upon the
private practice of medicine. He gained a large and lucrative patronage and also won the
esteem and respect of his colleagues. He observed the strictest professional ethics and
through constant study kept abreast of the advance that is continually being made in the
field of medical science.

Dr. Conn was married, in' Tiffin, Ohio, to Miss Leora Flenner, and to them was born
a daughter, Leora, who is now Mrs. Ralph R. Stewart.

Dr. Conn was for years a stalwart supporter of the democratic party but during his
later years was independent in politics. He attended St. Mark's Episcopal church and fra-
ternally was connected with tlie Royal Arcanum and the Ancient Order of United Workmen,
being a charter member of l>oth of those organizations in Seattle and grand medical exam-
iner for the same. While a resident of Xevada he joined the Masonic fraternity and also
became a member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He was a charter member
of the State Medical Society and took an active interest in all measures which he believed
beneficial to the community. He believed firmly in the great future in store for Seattle
and was at all times ready to help in forwarding the plans which w-ere designed to further
the advancement of the city. His demise was Udt i>nly a loss to his family and immediate
friends but also to his community, and his memor\- is still cherished by those who knew
him.



ALBERT MOODIE.



.Mbert Moodie, assistant LInited States attorney at Seattle, was Iiorn at Mount X'ernon,
Texas, on March 31, 1882, the fourth son of Samuel O. and Harriett Margarctta Moodie.
His father is a native of Alabama and is now a resident of Austin, Texas, where he is
living retired. Previous to retirement he was an attorney at law and quite active in- both
political and civic matters. Removing to Texas in 1874 he took a helpful part in the up-
building of Fort Worth, where six additions to the city bear his name. During the Civil
War he served in the Confederate army throughout tlie entire period of hostilities, as did
his falher-in-lavv, Joseph Haughton, both being taken prisoners several times. Mr Haugh-
ton wa^ an old settler of Mississippi and it was in tliat state that his daughter Margaretta
was born, reared, and married. She died in Portland, Oregon, on .^u,gust 23, igi,?, at the
age of sixty-four, and is survived by live of her seven children.

Albert Moodie, the fourth in order of birth, attended the public schools of Ft. Worth,
Texas, until he reached the eighth grade when he quit and went to work as office boy in the
wholesale grocery of the McCord Collins Company where he remained two years. During
this period he mastered shorthand in night school and received several advancements from
his employers. Removing to El Paso, Texas, in 1899 he spent three years in railroad serv-
ice. It was in El Paso that he enlisted as a landsman in the United States Navy, at sixteen
dollars a month, with the fixed purpose of working his way up, saving his earnings, and
putting himself through law school. He was twice advanced for exceptional ability and
during the last year of his service received seventy dollars per month. His promotions
carried him from landsman-on-deck to admiral's writer on the flagship Chicago, where he
served his last six months as chief clerk to Rear .Admiral Caspar F. Goodrich, U. S.
Navy, during the strenuous days of the San Francisco 'cpiake and fire. Taking his honor-
able discharge at the end of four years service, and his savings of over sixteen hundred
dollars, Mr. Moodie proceeded to Austin, Texas, bent upon the study of law. Entering
the State University law department he took a four years course and graduated LL. t!.,
in 1910, second in point of scholarship in a class of forty-nine, and winner of the senior
law prize. During his entire course he worked his spare moments to advantage, in recog-
nition of which industry the university faculty appointed him in his junior year as registrar
of the law department, and in his senior year as assistant registrar of the academic depart-
ment. He also found time to organize and lead the "Fighting Forty-Niners," a senior law
organization.

Mr. Moodie arrived in Seattle on July r. iQio, and later entered the law offices of



258 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

Bogle, Graves, Merritt & Bogle with which firm he remained some eighteen months. On
August 1st, 1912, he entered the private practice of law in association with William H.
Gorham at 652-653 Colman building, which relation continued until May i, 1914, when
Air. Moodie was appointed by the Hon. Clay Allen as an assistant United States attorney.
In addition to the usual business experience and collegiate training, Mr. Moodie brings
to the oflice a wide experience with men of all walks of life and a first-hand knowledge
of maritime affairs, which should enable him to make a most creditable record. It was
during his navy service that he chose Seattle for his future home, and he now fondly calls
it "The best city west of Heaven itself."

Mr. Moodie resides at 1722 Sumtnit avenue, with his two sisters, Ina Lucile and Florence
Marguerite. He supports the democratic party, and is an active church viforker in the First
Christian church of Seattle. Since October, 1912, he has been a member of the National
Guard of Washington, serving on the staff of the adjutant general as aide for naval militia.
In civic affairs he is active as a member of the Municipal League, and he belongs to
Arcana Lodge, No. 87, F. & A. M.



WILLIAM A. HASBROUCK.

Success is not a matter of genius, as held by some, but is the outcome of clear judg-
ment, experience and indefatigable industry. No matter in how much fantastic theorizing
one may indulge as to its cause a careful analysis will show that persistent eft'ort, intelli-
.gently directed, is the basis of all business advancement. This truth finds verification in
the life record of William A. Hasbrouck, who for a considerable period was one of the
foremost merchants of Seattle, continuing actively in business in that city until his demise.

He was born at Joppa, Michigan, in 1859, and is indebted to the public-school system
of his native state for the educational privileges which he enjoyed. He entered the School
of Pharmacy at Ann Arbor, Michigan, continuing his studies there for three years, made
excellent advancement in his school work and was graduated with first rank in a class of
twenty-two members, becoming valedictorian. When a few months had passed he sought
the opportunities of the west, making his way first to Gold Hill, Nevada, where he secured
a position in the drug store of A. B. Stewart, who afterward became a merchant of Seattle.
Mr. Hasbrouck remained at Gold Hill for four years and put his theoretical knowledge to
a practical test in the experiences which he there had. He became a resident of Seattle
in 1882, finding here a little hamlet which gave promise of development, yet the most far-
sighted could hardly have dreamed of what was to be accomplished in the way of upbuilding
a metropolitan city at this point on the Sound.

For several years Mr. Hasbrouck was in the employ of Mr. Stewart, with whom he
had formerly been connected at Gold Hill, but he was ambitious to engage in business on
his own account and carefully saved his earnings until he was able to establish a store.
In 1884 he formed a partnership with Edward L. Terry under the firm style of Hasbrouck
& Terry, opening a store on Front street, where Mr. Hasbrouck continued in business for
many years. In 1887 he purchased his partner's interest, becoming sole proprietor of the
business. His trade steadily grew and had assumed extensive and gratifying proportions
when, on the 6th of Jun^, 1889, his establishment was destroyed in the great conflagration
that visited the city, entailing heavy loss. The fire wrought great havoc to his fortune but
with resolute spirit he set to work to gain another start and when a new building had been
erected on the old site on Front street he occupied it, enlarged his stock and equipped one
of the finest drug stores in the northwest. For a long period he conducted two stores in the
city and both proved profitable sources of income. He applied himself untiringly to the
upbuilding and development of his trade and his labors were rewarded with substantial and
gratifying success. He had become well established financially and was preparing to enjoy
life when, on the 21st of September, 1890, he passed away. In regard to his demise a con-
temporary biographer wrote : "The entire community where he was so well known and
Iieloved, received the announcement of his death with sorrow deep and sincere, while to his
fainily and many intimate friends it was a persona! affliction such as words cannot describe.



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 259

The public press of the city paid warm tributes to his high character, his spotless integrity
and splendid business qualifications, while the expressions of those who had known him
long and intimately revealed how genuine was their admiration of his many attractive
qualities of heart and mind. Said one man who had been associated with him for years:
"Xothing but good can be said of William A. Hasbrouck. He leaves as clear a record
as any young man I ever knew.' "

It was in September, 1887, that Mr. Hasbrouck was united in marriage to Miss Jennie
Epier, a daughter of Jacob Epler, wlio came to the northwest from Virginia. Illinois. He
was born in Alorgan county, Illinois, and was a son of Daniel Epler, one of the early land-
owners of that part of the state. Jacob Epler was educated in the schools of Jacksonville,
Illinois, and afterward engaged in the banking business there for some years. He was also
an active business man of Virginia, Cass county. In 1883 ill health caused him to seek a
change of climate and he came to the coast, settling in Seattle, where he retired from active
business, giving his attention to his real-estate interests only. He married Miss Sarali E.
Thompson, also a native of Illinois, and after the death of Mr. Epler she became the wife
of Andrew Abt. Mr. and Mrs. Epler were the parents of three children : Mabel ; Jennie,
who became Mrs. Hasbrouck; and Albert E., a resident of California. Tlie wife and
mother passed away July 11, 1886, at the age of forty-six years.

It was on the 20th of September, 1890, that Mr. Hasbrouck was called to his final
rest, leaving a widow and one daughter, Nellie Epler Hasbrouck, now the wife of Archibald
Jones. A record such as that of Mr. Hasbrouck cannot fail to inspire and encourage others
as it indicates what may be accomplished when energy and determination lead the way.
In all his business affairs he was thoroughly reliable and none ever called his word into
question. In fact, he was the soul of honor in business, as he was in his private life. He
realized fully the obligations and the opportunities which came to him and the world is
better for his having lived. He possessed many sterling and beautiful traits of character —
sincerity, kindliness, generositj'. He was true and loyal in his friendships and had the
greatest appreciation for genuine worth in others. He judged men not by their possessions
but by their character and he lived a life in which true nobility of spirit found daily
e.xpression.



HORACE L. BUSHXELL.



Horace L. Bushnell. a structural engineer of Seattle whose work has been of a most
important character, ranks among the leading representatives of industrial activity in the
city. He is thoroughly acquainted with both the practical and scientific phases of his
business and in the execution of a contract is always energetic, prompt and notably reliable.
Highly esteemed wherever known, his record cannot fail to prove of interest to many of
the readers of this volume. He is a native of Illinois, his birth having occurred at Paxton,
December 6, 1885, his parents being A. S. and Caroline Bushnell.

In the pursuit of his education Horace L. Bushnell passed through consecutive grades
in the public schools of Paxton until graduated from the high school in the class of 1904.
He afterward matriculated in the University of Illinois, from which he was graduated in
1908. In that year he arrived in Seattle, thinking to find better business conditions and
opportunities in the northwest. Here he entered the employ of the firm of Graham &
Myers, architects, with whom he continued for six months. He was then appointed plan
inspector in the building department of the city of Seattle and occupied that position until
May, 1912, when he engaged with Grant. Smith & Company, contractors, as a structural
engineer, doing designing and estimating. His time was thus occupied until November.
1912, when he formed a partnership with E. K. Triol under the firm style of Triol and
Bushnell, structural engineers, with offices in the Henry building. That connection was
maintained until 1913 and since the dissolution of the partnership Mr. Bushnell has been
alone in business with offices in the New York building. He is now widely known as a
structural engineer and specializes in reinforced concrete construction. The importance of
his work is indicated in the fact that he was the structural designer of the auxiliary steam



•260 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

power plant for the city, also the substation for the city at Dexter and many other important
buildings. His work represents the highest grade of efficiency in that line of construction
and has given general satisfaction both in public service and to private individuals.

Mr. Bushnell was married, in Seattle, to Aliss Leah Litt on the 25th of March, 1914,
and they are well known socially, enjoying popularity in a large circle of friends and
acquaintances. Mr. Bushnell is prominently connected with a number of clubs and social
organizations, including the Mountaineers, the Monks, the Municipal League and the Com-
mercial Club, while of the Engineers Club he is the treasurer. His interest aside from
business centers in civic affairs and he gives aid to many plans for the public good, reach-
ing out through thought and activity into those fields which have to do with matters of
public concern and progress.



\VILLL\M .AD.AMS GL.ASGOW, M. D.

Dr. William .A.dams Glasgow, a well known homeopathic practitioner of Seattle, early
displayed the elemental strength of his character inasmuch as he secured the funds that made
possible his college and university training. The same persistency of purpose has figured
throughout his later life and has enabled him to overcome many obstacles and difficulties
in his path. He was born in Ontario, Canada, November II, 1879, being the eldest in a
family of four children, whose parents were George and Susan (Bingham) Glasgow.
The father is now a retired farmer living in Spokane and through the years of his active
business career conducted his interests most successfully. His wife, a native of Canada,
also lives in Spokane.

Reared in Ontario, Dr. Glasgow attended the grammar schools and the high school
there and later prepared for his profession in the Dunham Medical College of Chicago,
from which he was graduated in 1901. He entered upon professional activities 4s assistant
to Dr. Howard Crutcher, chief surgeon of the Chicago & Alton Railroad, with head-
quarters in Chicago, and was associated with him in the railway service for several years.
For some time he practiced in Montana but in the fall of IQ05 came to Seattle, where
he has since been in continuous practice. While in Montana he was a member of the
state board of homeopathic examiners. He belongs to the Homeopathic Medical Society
of Washington, the Seattle Homeopathic Medical Society and the American Institute of
Homeopathy and his study and reading have gained him a wide knowledge of the scien-
tific principles that underlie professional work in the treatment of disease.

At Camden, New Jersey, on the 6th of October, 1902, Dr. Glasgow was married to
Miss Maud Ironside, a daughter of John Ironside, a native of Ontario, Canada, and they
now have one child. Beryl Dee, who was born in Seattle in 1908.

The parents are members of the First Presbyterian church and Dr. Glasgow holds
membership in the Masonic fraternity, being now connected with Seattle Commandery of
the Kniglits Tetnplar and with the Mystic Shrine. He votes with the republican party
on national questions and issues but casts an independent local ballot, supporting the



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 31 of 142)