Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 33 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 33 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Seattle, from which time he has made the Queen city his place of residence. Later Tacoma
was excluded from his territory and his jurisdiction was extended to cover all of Alaska
as well as Seattle. This is a position of responsibility and importance, for which his quali-
ties well fit him. His financial interests constitute important holdings in real estate in
Seattle, Grays Harbor and elsewhere. He was also a director of the Merchants Bank for
a time during its early history, before the bank was merged into the German-American
Savings Bank.

Mr. McLean was married in California to Miss Cornelia Lyon, a native of that state
and a daughter of John Lyon, of San Francisco, who was a miner in the early days of
California, crossing the plains in order to reach the Pacific coast. He became a man of
marked prominence and influence in the west in both business and politics and at the time
of his death, in 1875, was United States minister to China. The children of Mr. and Mrs.
McLean are John M. and Lottie B., twins, the former now acting as special agent for the
Standard Oil Company at Bremerton, Washington, while the latter is the wife of A. A.
Cobb, who is interested in the electric light company at Edmonds, Washington.

Mr. AIcLean is a republican in his political convictions but not an active party worker.
He belongs to the Seattle Athletic Club, the Seattle Yacht Club, the Arctic Club, the Auto-
mobile Club of Seattle and tlie Canadian Club and in his connections with these organiza-
tions his social nature finds expression. His capability in business is indicated in the fact
that for thirty-two years he has remained with one corporation, being today one of the
foremost representatives of the Standard Oil Company on the Pacific coast.



CHARLES M. HOLCOMB, M. D.

Dr. Charles M. Holcomb, with a sincere love for and interest in his profession, has
become well established in successful practice at Seattle. He was born in Summit county,
Ohio, October 18, 1859, a son of Almon and Katherine A. (Bixby) Holcomb, both of whom
were natives of Ohio. The father, who was an agriculturist, became an early settler -of
Kansas and died at Louisburg, that state, in 1S82. while his wife passed away in Winfield.
Kansas, in 1896. She was related to the prominent family of Bixbys, of which William
K. Bixby, of St. Louis, is a member, and also to the Scoville family, of Cleveland, Ohio.

Dr. Holcomb was the youngest of the three sons in a family of six children. His early
education, acquired in the public schools of Louisburg. Kansas, was supplemented by study



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 271

in the Kansas State Normal. His early life was spent on a farm and when his education
was completed he took up the profession of teaching, which he followed in the schools
of Kansas for four years. He regarded this, however, merely as an initial step that enabled
him to prepare for medical practice as a student in Jefferson Medical College, which he
entered in 1885 and from which he was graduated with the class of 1887. He won high
honors and was awarded the gold medal for practice and procedure. After his graduation
he served for two years as interne in the Jefferson Medical Hospital and thus gained the
broad knowledge and practical experience which only hospital work can give. He then
returned to Kansas, opening an office in Winfield, where he continued in successful prac-
tice for eighteen years and also conducted the first and only private hospital of that city.
The opportunities of the growing northwest, however, attracted him and in September,
1906, he came to Seattle, where he has since been continuously engaged in the practice of
both medicine and surgery. His work has found favor with the public, which accords him
a liberal practice that has now reached extensive and gratifying proportions. In 1893 he
did post-graduate work in the Jefferson Medical Hospital and in 1895 i" the Jefferson
Medical and Johns Hopkins Hospitals. The same year he was a student in the Post-Gradu-
ate College & Hospital at Chicago and in 1905 he did post-graduate work in Germany,
Paris and London. He is a student of the highest order who loves his profession and
is devoted to the good of humanity.

At Carlisle, Pennsylvania, on the 30th of December, 1886, Dr. Holcomb was married
to Miss Mary R. Weaver, a representative of an old family of that state. They have
become the parents of three children: Charles W., who is associated with the National
Bank of Commerce at Seattle; Philip M., connected with the Seattle house of Sears, Roe-
buck & Company; and Marie, a graduate of the Seattle high school, now attending the
University of Washington.

The religious faith of the family is that of the Methodist church and in addition to
his membership therein Dr. Holcomb is connected with Arcana Lodge, No. 87. F. &
A. M., the Elks lodge. No. 92, and Queen City Lodge, No. 10, K. of- P., all of Seattle.
In these connections he finds pleasant social relations and he greatly enjoys the compan-
ionship of those with whom he is thus connected. Along strictly professional lines his
membership is in the King County Medical Society, the Washington State Medical Society
and the American Medical Association. He keeps in touch with the advanced work of the
profession, its scientific researches and investigations and, prompted by a spirit of broad
humanitarianism, is doing splendid work in his chosen field of labor.



CYRUS W. CHANDLER.



Cyrus W. Chandler is the head of the Chandler-Dunlap Company, which sells gas
engines, auto sundries and electrical supplies. He has gained recognition as a man of
business acumen and of enterprise and has contributed to the commercial expansion of the
city. He was born in Franklin county. Illinois, on the 12th of March, i86(). a son of Samuel
L. and Mary J. Chandler. The father died in Seattle in 1912 at the age of seventy-six
years and the mother passed away in Kentucky.

Cyrus W. Chandler was educated in the common schools, the Carbondale (111.) high
school and the Southern University of Illinois. In August, 1888. when nineteen years of
age he removed to Portland. Oregon, whence he came to Seattle three years later. While
still a resident of Illinois he worked for his father, who dealt in vehicles and implements,
and thus gained his first business experience. While living in Portland he was connected
with the Mitchell Lewis Company and he remained with them for a number of years
after his removal to this city. In 1902 he became manager in Seattle for the Racine Boat
Manufacturing Company, which manufactures pleasure boats and launches. As their rep-
resentative Mr. Chandler was the first man in Seattle to introduce pleasure boats driven
by gasoline power. In 1909 he took over the business and organized the Racine Boat &
Auto Company with himself as president and principal owner. In October 1914. the present
company-the' Chandler-Dunlap Company-was incorporated with Mr. Chandler as presi-



272 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

dent and C. J. Dunlap as vice president. The concern is at present located at Nos. -jz a"d
75 Columbia street. They deal chiefly in gas engines, auto sundries and electrical supplies
and have gained a gratifying trade.

On the Qth of August, 1890, at Portland, Mr. Chandler was married to Miss Fannie
Herlinger, a native of Frontenac, Minnesota. He is a republican in politics and in religious
faith he is a Protestant. He holds membership in the Elks, the Alaccabees and the Arctic,
Erlington and Auto Clubs. He has gained a gratifying measure of success which is the
direct result of his energy and excellent judgment, and he has never been so occupied with
his private interests that he could not find time to co-operate with movements seeking
the advancement of Seattle.



MARTIN J. HENEHAN.



Martin J. Henchan is successfully engaged in business in Seattle as a manufacturer
of railway supplies, having in this connection built up an extensive trade. His birth
occurred on the 8th of May, 1857, his parents being Michael and Sara (McNally) Hene-
han. He is descended from the O H-Aonachain's princes of Tyrawly, whose posterity
have contributed materially to Irish history, many being prominent in church affairs and
several being numbered among the bishops, archbishops and cardinals.

Martin J. Henehan acquired his early education in the national and Franciscan
schools of Ireland and subsequently pursued a course of study in the University of Notre
Dame at Notre Dame, Indiana. He later became a traveling salesman for iron and steel
and thus spent several years in the middle, eastern and New England states. Prior
to embarking in business on his own account he likewise acted as manager of iron and
steel departments in New York city and Portland, Oregon. He is now well known in
Seattle as the organizer, president and sole owner of The Seattle Frog & Switch Co., a
manufacturer of railway supplies and satisfies a big demand for crossings, frogs, switches,
manganese steel track specialties, which is the highest class of material in this line, track
tools and equipment. It might be said that it would be impossible to travel anywhere
in Seattle or out of the city in any direction without passing over his work. Mr. Henehan
also serves as director of the German American Mercantile Bank and is widely recognized
as a prosperous, enterprising and representative business man of the city.

On the 3d of November, 1891, in Galveston, Texas, Mr. Henehan was joined
in wedlock to Miss Mary Alice Gormly, a daughter of John and Elizabeth (Cuffe)
Gormly. Her father is a descendant of one of the leaders in the Irish rebellion and a
man who was identified with national affairs in Ireland. Our subject and his wife have
the following children: Bess, who is the wife of R. M. Evans; Martina; Vincent; Ulic;
and Kevin.

Mr. Henehan exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures
of the republican party, believing firmly in its principles. He is a member of the Arctic
Club, the Rotary Club, the National Geographic Society, the Lincoln University Endow-
ment Association and the Catholic Social Betterment League. A man of exceptional
executive talent, of great activity and energy and with ability to- make and keep friends,
his name is inseparably associated with business and social life as one of the valued
citizens of Seattle.



EDWARD JUDD.



Edward Judd, practicing at the Seattle bar since 1905, was born in Chicago, Illinois,
April 28, 1858, his parents being Norman Buel and Adaline (Rossiter) Judd. The lineal
ancestors of his four grandparents came to America prior to 1650. His father was the
first city attorney of Chicago, filling the office for two years following the incorporation
of the city in 1837. On retiring from that position he became attorney of Cook county,.




I\[ART1\" I. HKXKHAX



y. \



■ ■•■••■•' \



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 275

serving from 1839 until 1841. He was also state senator in Illinois from 1844 until 1S60
and was foreign minister to Prussia from 1861 until 1865. Two years after his return to
this country he was sent to congress, where he represented his district for four years. He
hecame the Chicago collector of customs in 1872, occupying that position for four years,
and thus in many ways he left the impress of his individuality and ability vipon the political
history of the state. As chairman of the Illinois delegation to the republican convention
of i860 he put in nomination Abraham Lincoln. He had wide acquaintance among the
ablest political leaders and statesmen of his day and aided largely in shaping the public
policy of Illinois.

After attending the public schools Edward Judd continued his education in the Edwards
Place School at Stockbridge, Massachusetts, and then attended ^'ale University, a mcmljer
of the class of 1879. Having qualified for the practice of law, he was admitted to the bar
in Illinois in 1880 and there entered upon the active practice of his profession. He served
as county attorney of Cook county, Illinois, in 1893 and 1894 and had previously been
assistant county attorney there for two terms. He remained in active practice in Chicago
until 1905, when, attracted by the broadening opportunities of the growing northwest, he
came to Washington and has since followed his profession in Seattle, where a liberal
clientage is now accorded him.

In Seattle, Washington, on the 24th of June, 1914, Mr. Judd was united in marriage
to Miss Anna Rasdale, a daughter of William Madison and .Anna (Myers) Rasdale and
a descendant of the brother of President Madison. Mr. Judd is identified with the Chris-
tian Science church and he has membership with the Masons and the Odd Fellows, having
attained the thirty-second degree of Scottish Rite Masonry. His political allegiance is
given to the republican party but political honors and preferment have had no attraction
for him, as he has always felt tliat the jjath of his advancement was in the line of his
profession.



L. C. OILMAN.



L. C. (jilman was born at Levant, Penobscot county, Maine, January j8, 1857. He
pursued his education in the Maine Central Institute and in Columbia College. In the
latter he pursued his law course and was graduated in May, 1883. He came at once to
Washington territory and was admitted to practice at the bar of Seattle in March, 1884.
He continued in general practice at Seattle until the year 1903 when he became western
counsel for the Great Northern Railway Company at Seattle. This position he held until
the year 1909 when he was appointed assistant to the president of the Great Northern
Railway Company. He continued to hold this position, being stationed at St. Paul, Minne-
sota, and at Seattle, W'ashington, until January I, 1914, at which time he was elected
president of the Spokane, Portland & Seattle Railway Company, the Oregon Trunk Rail-
way and the Oregon Electric Railway Company, generally known as the Hill Lines in
Oregon, and has continued to hold this position up to the present time. He now resides
at Portland, Oregon.



HOWARD O. DURK.



Howard O. Durk, who has practiced law continuously since his admission to the bar
in October, 1906, was born at Wakefield, Wayne county, Nebraska, May 29, 1881, his
parents being Joseph A. and Anna (Morton) Durk. The father was a locomotive and
marine engineer and was lost at sea in 1893 on the ship Ivanhoe, sailing from Seattle to
Alaska. He was a native of Blantyre, Scotland, and soon after the Mexican war went
with his parents to Texas. His father, with four of the father's brothers, was killed while
serving in the Civil war, the father serving as an officer. Joseph A. Durk also became a
soldier in the Civil war, enlisting from Texas, where he resided for many years, and later



276 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

went to Nebraska, becoming a resident of Seattle in 1887. His widow survives and is now
living in North Yakima. Her father, Lucius M. Morton, was a Canadian of French
descent and was the first chief of police of St. Paul, Minnesota. In 1880 he came to the
northwest, making his way to Tacoma, and soon afterward took up a farm on Henderson
bay.

Howard O. Durk removed with the family to Washington during his boyhood days
and pursued his education in the public and high schools of Yakima, where he worked while
attending school. He concluded his studies there in 1898 and afterward was graduated
from Wilson's Business College with the class of 1900, becoming a stenographer. He was
employed in that capacity in law offices between 1901 and 1905 — for Congressman Will
E. Humphrey, Judge Wilson R. Gay, Judge Edward Von Tobel and for the firm of Allen,
Allen & Stratton and others. During this period he devoted every possible moment to the
study of law and was admitted to the bar in October, 1906, since which time he has engaged
in the active work of the profession. He has made rapid advancement, winning a well
merited reputation and has taken an active part in the conduct of a number of large cases.

On the I2th of July, igo6, at Seattle, Mr. Durk was married to Miss Nora Garrett,
who was born on Whidby island, a representative of one of the oldest families of the
Sound. Mr. Durk holds membership with the Loyal Order of Moose and the Brotherhood
of American Yeomen. His political allegiance has usually been given to the republican
party. He has not taken an active part in politics as an office seeker, yet was a candidate
for justice of the peace in 1912 on the progressive ticket. He is still a young man in
years and in his profession and has already attained a favorable and creditable position in
professional circles and along that line is making continuous advancement.



FRANK M. WOODRUFF.



Frank M. Woodrufif, general agent for the Parr-McCormick Company of San Fran-
cisco with Seattle and Alaska offices at No. 312 Powles building, in Seattle, and also mana-
ger of the Seattle Fur Sales Agency, is an active business man, watchful of opportunities,
which he utilizes in a most effective way. A native of Wisconsin, he was born in Fond du
Lac, December 3, 1855, and spent his early life in that city, acquiring a public school edu-
cation. Much of his life has been devoted to the crockery business, which he entered in
New York when sixteen years of age, remaining in the eastern metropolis for six years.
He then went to Kansas City and traveled for T. AL James & Sons, covering the territory
of Kansas and the Indian territory for eight years. On the expiration of that period he
went to Los Angeles, where he remained for a year, and in 1887 he came to Seattle, where
he opened the first regular crockery store of the city in the Union block at First and
Columbia streets as the business representative of Nelson Chilberg & Son. That establish-
ment was destroyed during the great fire of i88g and later Mr. Woodruff embarked in
business on his own account in a tent where the John Collins residence once stood and
where the Collins business block is now found. Hotel Seattle occupying that building.
When the Collins building was completed Mr. Woodruff' formed a partnership with A. E.
Schade under the firm name of Schade-Woodruff & Company, proprietors of the Plate
Front Crockery store. After five years they joined with several other Seattle firms in open-
ing the Rialto department store, which was the first department store of the city. They
occupied the building now utilized by the firm of Frederick & Nelson, it being erected for
them by Boston capitalists. At that time the location seemed entirely too far north, as most
people felt, to ever be a good business situation.

Owing to the widespread financial panic of 1893, this firm, together with thousands
of others all over the country, failed, after which Mr. Woodruff took a position with the
Seattle Cracker & Candy Company, which was organized about that time. He worked the
city and nearby towns, remaining with that company until the Klondike rush, when he went
to Alaska and for four years was engaged in the crockery business at Skagway. During
his residence there he was elected mayor of the town in 1900 and afterward removed into
the interior of the country, settling at a town called Eagle, in which he opened a general



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 277

store with E. R. Peoples under the name of Peoples & Woodrufif. Still later they opened
stores at Rampart and Fairbanks, remaining in Alaska until 1905, when he came to Seattle
and for a year thereafter was associated with the Superior Cracker & Candy Company. In
May, 1906, the Seattle Fur Sales Agency was organized by about twenty leading merchants
and bankers of the city and Mr. Woodruff was chosen manager of the business, in which
position he has since been retained. He was well schooled in fur buying, having pur-
chased and sold furs to a large extent during his business experience in Alaska. On com-
ing to Seattle Mr. Woodruff sold his interests in Alaska to E. R. Peoples, who became the
heaviest individual shipper of merchandise in that country. In addition to representing
the Seattle Fur Sales Agency Mr. Woodrufif is general agent for the Parr-McCormick
Steamship Company of San Francisco. This company operates from fifteen to twenty
steam schooners between San Francisco, Seattle and Alaska, having taken over the boats
of the Dodge Company besides various others. The Dodge Company had had offices in
Seattle for about seven years and their interests were intrusted to Mr. Woodruff for the
entire time. Heavy responsibilities devolve upon him in these two connections, his labors
being very arduous, but ability and enterprise enable him to carefully handle his interests
and win success for the companies which he represents.

Mr. Woodruff was united in marriage to Miss Hattie Baldwin, of Hornellsville, New
York, a native of that state, and they became parents of a son, George W., who was born
in New York and has been in the United States customs service in Alaska for fourteen
years, while his residence in that countrj' covers sixteen years. He is now deputy col-
lector and inspector at Kitchikan. He married Edna Moorehouse, a school teacher at
Eagle, Alaska, theirs being a frontier romance.

Mr. Woodruff is a Protestant in religious faith and in his political belief is a pro-
gressive republican. Fraternally he is connected with the Elks and he belongs also to the
Arctic Brotherhood, to the Chamber of Commerce and to the Commercial Club, associations
that indicate much of the nature of his interests and activities outside of business. His
progress has been continuous since he started out in life on his own account when a
youth of si-xteen years. Each step in his career has been a forward one and from his
experience he has learned many valuable lessons, while his close application and enter-
prise have brought to him growing success.



JUDGE OTIS W. BRIXKER.



or



Judge Otis W. Brinker, who in November, 1912, was elected justice of the peace f
Seattle precinct for a two years' term and who since May. 1901, has been active in tlie
state and federal courts, his home being in Seattle, was born in Eureka, Greenwood county.
Kansas, October 7, 1878, a son of Stephen and Barbara Ellen (Snyder) Brinker. The
father was a native of Illinois and during early manhood was connected with the cus-
toms service, while subsequently he became special agent of the treasury department, in
which connection he was stationed in Seattle, where his death occurred November 13, 1907.
Judge Brinker was nine years of age when he accompanied his father to Port Townsend.
Washington, and there pursuing a public school education, he was graduated from the
Port Townsend high school with the class of 1897. Later he attended the Puget Sound
University-. He afterward entered the State University and completed his law course
by graduation with the class of 1901. winning the LL. B. degree as a member of the first
class to complete the course in that institution.

Judge Brinker was admitted to practice in May. 1901. and later was admitted to the
state and federal courts. In 1902 he formed a law partnership under the firm style of
Sayre & Brinker and continued to engage in the general practice of law until he accepted
the position of assistant city attorney. In politics he has always been a stalwart repub-
lican and is an active member of the Young lilen's Republican Club. For five years he
filled the office of assistant city attorney under Ellis de Breuler. Ralph Pearce and W. F.
Van Ruff and in November. 1912. he was elected justice of the peace of the Seattle precinct
for a term of two vears. His official activities have always been in the strict path of his



278 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

profession and by his close application and adaptaljility he has made a most creditable
name in office.

On the 24th of June, 1908, in Seattle, Judge Brinker was united in marriage to Miss
Ethel Cameron, her fatlier being H. A. Cameron, inspector for the city in the engineers'
department. They have two children, Evelyn C. and Stephen Allen. Judge Brinker's
interests are along those lines which lead to substantial development and progress. His
position is never an equivocal one. He stands for the right and his influence is stanchly
given on the side of moral advancement — a fact indicated in his four or five years' service
as president of the Bethany Presbyterian Men's Club. He is also a member of the Seattle
Commercial Club.



BENJAMIN FRANKLIN BALL.

Benjamin Franklin Ball, who gained an enviable reputation as a contractor, erected
many buildings in the city of Seattle. He was born in Van Wert, Ohio, in 1835 and ac-



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 33 of 142)