Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 37 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 37 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


children.

Dr. Naboth Allen, the second of the family, pursued his early education in the public
schools of his native town and obtained his matriculation at Columbian College, New West-
minster, British Columbia, going from there to the College of Physicians and Surgeons
at San Francisco, from which he graduated as first honor man in June, 1902. He passed
the examination in 1903 in British Columbia and practiced for nine years in Vancouver,
British Columbia, leaving there in 1912 for a year's special work in the old country, taking
the L. M. degree at the Rotunda Hospital, Dublin, and later going to Berlin and Vienna.
After coming home he took the State of Washington Medical degree.

Following his return from Europe he remained in Vancouver until August, 1914, when
he removed to Seattle, where he has since engaged in practice, specializing in obstetrics.
He belongs to the King County Medical Society, the State Medical Society and the Amer-
ican Medical Association and keeps in touch with the results of modern research and sci-
entific investigation along the line of his chosen life work.

On the 29th of October, 1903, in Chilliwack. British Columbia, Dr. Allen was united in
marriage to Miss Ethel M. Ashwell. a native of British Columbia and a daughter of Mr.
and Mrs. G. R. Ashwell, representing an old pioneer family of Chilliwack which has been



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 303

there residing for the past forty or fifty years. Dr. and Mrs. Allen have three children,
namely: George Ashwell, who was born in Vancouver, British Columbia, January 28, 1905;
Doris Cave, whose birth occurred in Vancouver, British Columbia, on the 8th of June,
1907; and William Grenfell, born in Vancouver on the 30th of April, 1914.

Dr. Allen belongs to the Commercial and to the Athletic Clubs of Seattle, finds pleas-
ant association in those organizations and is interested in carrying forth their projects.
In religious faith he is a Methodist and conforms his life to the teachings of that denom-
ination. A review of his record shows many admirable qualities and traits of character.
He began earning his own living at the age of ten years and assisted in the support of
his parents, fishing cod on the coast of Labrador until the age of nineteen, when he came
west, for his father had met with financial reverses and was in ill health. His education
was therefore deferred until he reached the age of twenty-three years. He arrived in
British Columbia with a capital of but eight dollars and he had neither friends nor ac-
quaintances there. He can truly be called a self-made man, for he has been both the
architect and builder of his own fortunes. He spent four years, from 1892 until 1897,
in fur sealing on the coast of Japan and on the Kamchatka coast, operating in the Behring
and Okhotsk seas. He was also employed by a British company in the salmon fisheries at
Point Roberts and he spent two years off Anacortes, acting as manager there for another
British concern. He also spent the year 1899 in a logging camp on the British coast. All
through these years he embraced every opportunity to further his education and when
his funds would become exhausted he would again take up business pursuits until he
could once more renew his studies. Eventually he qualified for medical practice and his
laudable ambition to become proficient in his profession has led him to continue his studies
in post-graduate work and through private reading, so tliat he is now one of the well
informed practitioners in Seattle. He had a very large practice in Vancouver and since
his removal to Washington has already become well established as a most able represent-
ative of the profession in this state.



CHARLES FAUNTLEROY WHITTLESEY.

The law has ever attracted to its ranks a class of men gifted with keen perception
and logical trend of mind, who by nature or training, or both, are peculiarly fitted to deal
with the intricate problems whjch arise among their fellowmen. In reviewing the prom-
inent members of the bar of King county it is imperative that mention be made of Charles
Fauntleroy Whittlesey, who is at present associated with the Washington Title Insurance
Company and Osborne Tremper & Company, Incorporated, abstractors of title. Since 1883
he has been a resident of the state of Washington and in 1884 came to Seattle.

He was born at Fort Union, New Mexico, .August 19, 1855, and in both the paternal
and maternal lines is descended from prominent old families and Revolutionary stock. John
\\'hittlese}', the progenitor of the Whittlesey family in America, came to this country from
Cambridge, England, in 1635, settling at Saybrook, Connecticut, where his son Joseph
was born on the 15th of January, 1671. He became the father of the second Joseph Whit-
tlesey, who was born at Saybrook, May 20, 1722, and during the Revolutionary war served
as adjutant quartermaster of a Connecticut regiment. He was made a prisoner by the
British during that struggle. His son, John Baldwin Whittlesey, was born in Saybrook,
November 20, 1782, and became the grandfather of Charles F. Whittlesey. He entered
the Presbyterian ministry in the state of New York,' and his death there occurred Septem-
lier 10, 1833, when he had reached the age of fifty-one years. He married Nancy Hotch-
kiss, a daughter of Lemuel and Penelope Hotchkiss, who were from Connecticut.

Joseph Hotchkiss Whittlesey, the father of Charles F. Wliittlcsey, was born in Avon,
New York, August 22, 1822, and was a graduate of the West Point Military Academy.
During the Mexican war he was made second lieutenant and for gallant service at the
battle of Buena Vista and Chapultepec, in which he served under General Taylor, was
promoted to the rank of first lieutenant. .\fter that war he was with a cavalry regiment
on the western plains to hold the Indians in subjugation until the outbreak of the Civil



304 HISTORY OF SEATTLE ' .

war. In this struggle he served his country as a brave and loyal soldier, having command
of a cavalry regiment in the Army of the Potomac. He was with that regiment at the
battle of Antietam, in the siege of Yorktown and in other engagements and was taken
prisoner at Winchester, Virginia, but on account of disability was soon afterward paroled
and exchanged. For a time thereafter he was engaged in recruiting volunteers for the
Union army throughout Pennsylvania, New York, New Hampshire and Wisconsin. He
was retired for disability incurred in the line of duty and afterward became professor of
military science at Cornell University. He was next made treasurer of the Soldiers' Home
at Washington, D. C, serving in the latter position for five years. The year 1884 wit-
nessed his arrival in Seattle, but after a residence here of only two years he was
called to his final rest, passing away August I, 1886, at the age of sixty-four years. His
wife, who bore the maiden name of Catherine Knox Fauntleroy, was a descendant of an
old French family of Virginia, the ancestry being traced back to Moore Fauntleroy, the
founder of the family in America, who came to this country from Scotland, settling in
Frederick county, Virginia. He was of French and Scottish descent. The maternal
great-grandfather of our subject, Charles Fauntleroy, sat upon the supreme bench of the
Old Dominion, was also a member of the Virginia legislature and won the title of general
in the Revolutionary war, having charge of a Virginia brigade. So great was his sympathy
for the cause of the colonies that he disinherited a son who espoused the British cause.
His daughter married Charles Magill, who was a colonel on General Washington's staff,
v/hile another daughter became the wife of Charles M. Thurston, who was also a member
of Washington's staff during that memorable struggle.

To Mr. and Mrs. Whittlesey were born two sons, William Hickox and Charles Faunt-
leroy. The latter was educated by private tutors during his early boyhood but subse-
quently became a student in Princeton College, from which institution he was graduated
in 1874 with valedictorian honors. His professional education was received in Columbian
College, Washington, D. C, where he completed his course by graduation in 1876, and
from that time until 1880 he followed his chosen profession in the capital city. In the
latter year he took up his abode in Colorado, where he was a member of the legal pro-
fession for three years. Since 1883 he has been a resident of the state of Washington,
spending the first year in Whatcom and Tacoma, while since 1884 he has made his home
in Seattle. Following his arrival in this city he turned his attention principally to land
law and assisted in compiling a set of abstracts of title of King county. He formed a
corporation under the name of the Booth-Whittlesey-Hanford Abstract Company, which
company owned the abstracts and which has now consolidated with Osborne Tremper &
Company, Incorporated. He is now one of the title attorneys of the Washington Title
Insurance Company.

The name of Whittlesey is a familiar one in political and professional circles through-
out this section of the state ; and by reason of his marked intellectual activity and superior
ability he is well fitted to aid in molding the policy of the state, to control general interests
and form public opinion. He has been a lifelong democrat and for two terms of two years
each he served King county as its treasurer. He was appointed by Governor Eugene Semple
as regent of the University of Washington and occupied that position for nearly five years,
being the incumbent when the territory was admitted into the Union.

On the 23d of July, 1886, Mr. Whittlesey married Miss Louisiana De Wolfe, a daughter
of Captain Frederick S. De Wolfe, and a native of Charlotte, North Carolina. Her father
served as captain of Confederate forces during the Civil war and is now a resident of
Seattle. Three daughters blessed this union : Charlotte De Wolfe, now the wife of Wal-
ter S. Fitz of Pasco, Washington; Laura De Wolfe, now the wife of Dr. J. Tate Mason;
and Katherine Fauntleroy. The last named died in infancy.

Mrs. Whittlesey is a member of the Second Presbyterian church of Seattle and Mr.
Whittlesey belongs to the Phi Kappa Psi, Alpha chapter, of the District of Columbia; to
Seattle Lodge. No. 92, B. P. O. E. ; to the Seattle Athletic Club; and to the Seattle Golf
Club. He has the unique distinction of having been on the soil of old Oregon before the
Civil war. His father helped to build the LTnited States fort and barracks at The Dalles
and afterward lived at Vancouver and later at Walla Walla, where the family was located
at the time of the outbreak of hostilities between the north and the south, at which time



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 305

Charles F. Whittlesey was a little lad of about five years. With the development of the
northwest he is largely familiar and has been an interested witness of its growth and
progress, while in the work of development and improvement he has borne an active
and helpful part, his labors being far-reaching and beneficial.



EDWARD N. FURMAN.



Edward N. Furman is conducting the Northwestern Shorthand Reporting School, in
which connection he is the owner of an establishment that has proved of value in this
section of the country, giving thorough training to young men and women along lines
fittirig them for the business world. He is a native son of the middle west, his birth having
occurred in Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin, July 8, 1886. His father, Francis M. Fur-
man, was one of the pioneer farmers and stock raisers of that state.

The acquirement of an education occupied the major portion of his time and attention
in his youth. He attended the public and high schools at Rosendale, Wisconsin, and upon
graduation entered the State Normal School at Oshkosh, Wisconsin, where he continued
his studies for two years. He later went to Milwaukee, taking postgraduate work and
then removed to Chicago, where he was employed by the American Express Company.
He was afterwards appointed to a government position and later accepted a position with
Edwin L. Cobb, a well known court reporter. Three years afterward he came to Seattle,
expecting to find good business opportunities in the growing northwest, and has made a
complete success as a court reporter. March 30, 1914, Mr. Furman established the North-
western Shorthand Reporting School, which he is now conducting with great success.
From the beginning the school has been very successful and the methods of instruction
seem to embody the very essence of a thorough education in stenography, bookkeeping
and office routine.

Mr. Furman holds a membership with the Knights of Columbus, and also belongs to
the Commercial Club and the Young Men's Republican Club, which indicates his interest
in municipal affairs and especially in the welfare of his city, in the development of its
trade relations. His political allegiance is given to the republican party, but while he keeps
well informed on the questions and issues of the day, he never seeks nor desires office,
preferring to concentrate his energies upon his educational interests.



ERWIN L. WEBER.



Erwin L. Weber, a consulting engineer of Seattle, whose knowledge of the practical
and scientific phases of the business has brought him a liberal patronage, came to this
city in 1909. He was born in Cassel, Germany, on the 28th of June, 1884, a son of E.
Weber, a skilled violinist, who, on coming to .\merica with his family in l8ix), settled in
Helena, Montana. In the family were three children, of whom Erwin L. Weber is the
youngest. He was a lad of six summers at the time he accompanied his parents to the
United States and his early education was acquired in the public schools of Montana,
while later he pursued his studies in the University of Minnesota at Minneapolis, taking a
special course in electrical and mechanical engineering. He entered upon the practice of his
profession in Minneapolis as a consulting engineer, with the firm, of which Charles L.
Pillsbury is the head and in 1909 he came to Seattle, where he entered upon the private
practice of his profession independently. He is a man of marked ability in his chosen
field, his thorough preparatory training, his ready adaptability and the practical turn of his
mind enabling him to advance steadily and to find ready and correct solution for all intri-
cate and difficult professional problems. He has designed the electrical, mechanical and
sanitary equipment for many important buildings in Seattle, Victoria, Vancouver and other
points in the northwest. His professional activities were called into play in connection
with the building of the Washington State Reformatory, the King county building, the



306 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

Washington Security building and the Coliseum, which is now in process of erection. He
was also connected professionally with the building of the Pantages and Liberty Theaters
of Seattle. He has been a resident of this city sufficiently long to thoroughly establish
his reputation as a foremost representative of his profession and his business is one of
growing extent and importance.

In Seattle, in 1913, Mr. Weber was married to Miss Clara McDonald, a daughter of
John McDonald, who was prominently known in Montana as attorney and judge in Helena.

Mr. Weber belongs to the American Society of Mechanical Engineers and concentrates
almost his entire attention upon his professional interests and duties, yet he is appreciative
of the social amenities of life and has gained a large circle of warm friends during his
residence in this state.



O. B. LITTELL.



O. B. Littell has been a resident of Seattle for almost a third of a century and gained
an enviable position in business circles as proprietor of the Western Mill Factory, manu-
facturing sash, doors and moldings, with office at the corner of Terry avenue and Mercer
street. Since October, 1914, he has lived retired. He was born at New Providence,
Clark county, Indiana, on the 31st of October, 1850, and received a grammar school educa-
tion at New Albany, that state, during the troublous period of the Civil war. While attend-
ing school he sold and carried newspapers in order to meet his expenses and keep himself
clothed, his parents being in straitened financial circumstances. When a youth of sixteen
he put aside his textbooks and secured a position as grocery clerk. At the age of twenty
years he entered a wholesale commission house of Louisville, Kentucky, in the capacity
of porter, at a salary of thirty dollars per month. He remained with that concern for
seven years and when he left their employ was holding the position of manager at a
figure of his own setting. Mr. Littell subsequently embarked in business on his own
account at New Albany and thus continued until June, 1882, when he made his way west-
ward, arriving in Seattle on the iSth of July following. Here he has resided continuously
to the present time. He was employed as house carpenter for a time and later opened a
jobbing shop on Union street, between Third and Fourth streets. Afterward he erected
a sash and door factory on Third, between Pike and Pine streets, which was destroyed by
fire in April, 1892. On the 20th of May following he took charge of the Western Mill
Factory and in 1902 purchased the ground and erected a new plant. In its conduct he won
a gratifying and well merited measure of success. He earned for himself an enviable
reputation as a careful man of business, and in his dealings was known for his prompt
and honorable methods, which won him the deserved and unbounded confidence of his
fellowmen. On the ist of October, 1914, he retired from active business.

On the 2ist of January, 1875, at New Albany, Indiana, Mr. Littell was united in mar-
riage to Miss Tillie T. Duncan. Both Mr. and Mrs. Littell enjoy an extensive and favora-
ble acquaintance in this city. Before and during the big fire of 1889, Mr. Littell served as
a volunteer fireman, being a member of Deluge Hose Company, which was stationed at
Pine street and Third avenue. His record is that of a self-made man who has won his
success entirely by his own efforts and should serve to inspire others who are dependent
upon their own resources in the battle of life.



TIAIOTHY RYAN.



Timothy Ryan, who died February 10, 1916, was a prominent contractor of Seattle,
an extensive business making heavy demands upon his time and energies. He was a native
of County Limerick, Ireland, and a son of Malachy and Johanna (Ryan) Ryan, both of
whom are now deceased. The father, who was a farmer and contractor and made a




TIMOTHY RYAN



i. : :



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 309

specialty of road building, died at the age of eighty-six years, while his wife passed
away at the age of seventy-six.

The son attended the national schools of Ireland and in 1873 came to America. In
the early period of his residence on this continent he engaged in farming in California
and in 1884 he came to Seattle, where he was afterward engaged in contracting. His
patronage grew continually in volume and importance and after the fire he built the
New England Hotel, the Crane Company's building, the Hambach building, the building
of the Armour Packing Company, the boat shop at the navy yard for the United States
and other buildings at the navy yard. He did considerable important road building and
executed contracts for other public improvements. He built the first brick highway in
the state between Tacoma and Kent, also paved Second avenue from Pike street to
Yesler Way, completing that work about a year ago, and paved Sixth and Eighth avenues
in the Westlake district. His contracts kept him extremely busy and he employed a
large force of workmen.

On the 27th of February, 18S9, in Seattle, Mr. Ryan was united in marriage with
Miss Catherine Gleeson, a daughter of Michael Gleeson, who was born in Ireland and
came to Seattle twenty-seven years ago. To Mr. and Mrs. Ryan were born seven
children: Josephine, the wife of J. W. Pettinger, who was a full partner of Mr. Ryan
in the contracting business ; Nora Catherine, Frances Margaret and Alice Julia, all at
home; and Josephine, James Timothy and Thomas George, who are students.

The religious faith of the family is that of the Catholic church and Mr. Ryan held
membership with the Knights of Columbus. He was also a member of the Woodmen of
the World, the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Benevolent Protective Order
of Elks, and his political faith was that of the democratic party. He served as council-
man in 1893-4, was superintendent of streets in 1894 and was county commissioner in
1897, serving for a two years' term. He did very important work in the reconstruction
of the city following the fire of 1889 and through that period was associated with Matt
Bramigan in his extensive building operations. He continued as a leading contractor of
the city until his death, enjoying a business of large and gratifying proportions.



THOMAS SANDERS.



About a third of a century ago Thomas Sanders came to Seattle and here he was
actively and successfully identified with industrial interests for a number of years as
president of the Bryant Lumber Company. He passed away on the 26th of July, 1914, at
the age of fifty-eight years, his birth having occurred in England, February 29, 1856.
When a youth of sixteen years he crossed the Atlantic to Canada wdiere he remained for
a time and then came to the United States. He began working in the lumber camps of
Michigan, being thus employed until he came to Seattle in 1881. Lumber interests claimed
his attention throughout his active business career. In 1891 he formed a partnership with
Charles Verd, Sr., which was maintained with mutual pleasure and profit until 1902. In
1892 they built a shingle mill at Bryant and organized the Bryant Shingle Mill Company,
of which Mr. Sanders served as president until his demise. In the fall of 1895 they
bought the old Fremont mill at Seattle and later sold their interests at Bryant. In the
conduct of his business Mr. Sanders met with -success and became recognized as one of
the substantial and representative business men of his city.

On the 1st of May, 1S84, at Woodinville, Washington, Mr. Sanders was joined in
wedlock to Miss Mary E. Woodin. Her father crossed the plains from Michigan to Cali-
fornia in 1850, subsequently went to Oregon and in 1852 came to Seattle, taking up a home-
stead near Columbia City. In 1870 he founded the town of Woodinville, which was named
in his honor. General agricultural pursuits claimed his attention throughout his active
business career, and the farm which he operated is still in possession of his family. His
demise occurred in 1908, when he had attained the age of seventy-three years. To him and
his wife, who bore the maiden name of Susan Campbell and was born in Marion county,
Oregon, in 1840, were born three children, namely: Mrs. Helen Keller; Frank, who is a

Vol. Ill— 1 4



310 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

resident of Woodinville, Washington ; and Mrs. Mary Sanders. By her marriage the last
named became the mother of nine children, eight of whom still survive, as follows : Guy,
who wedded Miss Erland and has two children, Thomas and Jane; William A., who mar-
ried Miss Ethel Morrison and has one child, Robert; Howard W., who married Miss
Stella Searight; Helen E. ; Allen D. ; Ruth; Esther R. ; and John L. Mrs. Mary Sanders
represents the second of four generations of her family born on the Pacific coast, the
first being represented by her mother and the other two by her son and his children.

Mr. Sanders was a worthy exemplar of the Masonic fraternity and also belonged to the
Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He had great faith in Seattle from the first, and the
future growth of the city justified his highest expectations. His widow, who makes her
home in Seattle, is well and favorably known, her circle of friends being an extensive one.



HENRY VAN ASSELT.



With the history of pioneer development in King county the name of Henry Van
Asselt is inseparably connected. He was one of the first four settlers to penetrate into
this part of the state, he and three others coming together and locating the first claims in
this district. He met every condition of pioneer life at a period when it was never known
what skulking foe might be hidden behind tree or rock or in what hour the Indian menace
would take shape for the destruction of the settlers. His work in planting the seeds of
civilization has been a potent force in the development of this section and the history of
King county would be incomplete were there failure to make prominent reference to him.



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 37 of 142)