Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 40 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 40 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of the Chamber of Commerce of the Cnited States and also a member of the Seattle
Chamber of Commerce. He has studied public conditions, nor has he ever neglected his
obligations in relation to public affairs but has stood loyally in support of plans and
measures which have had for their object the welfare of the community and have been
far-reaching and beneficial in effect. Moreover, in his business career he has made steady
advancement. Coming to the new world as a young man, he availed himself of the oppor-
tunities afiordcd in a land unhampered by caste or class and has won both prosperity and
an honored name. His is the record of a strenuous life — the record of a strong indi-
viduality, sure of itself, stable in purpose, quick in perception, swift in decision, energetic
and persistent in action.



EDWARD T. VERD.



Edward T. Verd is president of the Bryant Lumber & Shingle Mill Company, which
business was established in April, 1892, and which has enjoyed a continuous and profitable
existence since that time. It features as one of the important enterprises of the lumber
industry of the northwest and has enjoyed a growing business from the beginning. Mr.
Verd became interested in the business in 1893 and has since been one of the owners, while
in 1914 he was chosen for the presidency.

A native of Michigan, Mr. Verd was born on a farm in Huron county, October 15,



328 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

1868. His father, Charles Verd, a native of Canada, died in Seattle at the age of seventy-
four years, while the mother, Mrs. Phoebe Verd, is still living in this city at the age of
seventy-four. Slie, too, is a native of Canada. In the family were six sons, one of whom,
Charles Verd, Jr., born in Huron county, Michigan, December 19, 1870, is now the vice
president of the Bryant Lumber & Shingle Mill Company, but four of the number are not
residents of Seattle.

Edward T. Verd acquired his education at Harbor Beach, Michigan, and in January,
1889, came to Seattle, where his father and his brother Will had located in 1888. After
a residence here of four years he became connected with the Bryant Lumber & Shingle
Mill Company, which association was established in April, 1892, with D. J. Richert as presi-
dent, E. C. H. Engelbach, secretary and treasurer, while other stockholders were Thomas
Sanders and Charles Verd, the latter being the father of Edward T. Verd. The business
was capitalized at ten thousand dollars, while the company's interests are now estimated
at from four hundred thousand to five hundred thousand dollars. In 1893 Mr. Richert and
Mr. Engelbach sold their interests to Charles Verd, E. T. Verd and Thomas Sanders, and
since that time Mr. Verd of this review has been actively identified with the management
and conduct of the business, assuming full charge in 1914 upon the death of Mr. Sanders.
The capacity of the plant is about one hundred thousand feet of lumber per day and
operations are carried on practically all of the time. The plant is situated at the entrance
of the canal to Lake Union and the business from the beginning has been a growing enter-
prise and large profits have accrued. to the stockholders.

Mr. Verd was united in marriage to Miss Amy I. Frost, a native of Michigan, and they
have two children: Erma L., born April 12, 1898; and Wesley E., born July 9, 1902. Mr.
Verd is a well known Mason, belonging to Doric Lodge, No. 92, F. & A. M. ; Seattle Chap-
ter, No. 2, R. A. M. : and Seattle Commandery, No. 2, K. T. He is also a life member of
the Arctic Club. There have been no esoteric chapters in his life history and no spectacular
phases in his business career. He has worked steadily and persistently and through ener-
getic effort has reached the place which he occupies as a representative of the lumber trade
in the northwest.



JAMES DOSTER HOGE.



James Doster Hoge is president of the Union Savings & Trust Company of Seattle,
of which he was the organizer. This bank came into existence in 1903 and has since
become one of the strongest financial institutions of the northwest. Its business has been
conducted along the lines which govern strict and unswerving business integrity and,
thoroughly familiar with every phase of the banking business, he has so directed the
interests of the institution as to carefully safeguard the interests of depositors and at
the same time lead to the ultimate development of the bank.

Mr. Hoge is numbered among the enterprising citizens that Ohio has furnished to
Seattle, his birth having occurred in Zanesville, that state, on the 21st of September, 1871.
The ancestry of the family is traced back to Scotland, but representatives of the name
became early residents of Virginia, where in successive generations members of the family
figured prominently in connection with the history of the state. At Winchester, Virginia,
in 1802, occurred the birth of Israel Hoge, grandfather of James Doster Hoge, and in
his native state he wedded Betsey Doster, who also represented an old Virginia family
connected with the Society of Friends. In 1840 the grandparents removed to Ohio, cast-
ing in their lot with the early residents of Zanesville, where Israel Hoge engaged in
manufacturing matches.

He was a pioneer in that field, for only a short time before the flint and steel had
figured as the chief means of lighting fires. He was also a chemist and druggist and
conducted business interests of importance and large volume, his activities bringing him a
substantial return. He voted with the democracy and was appointed by President James
Buchanan to the office of postmaster of Zanesville. He was a man of broad philanthropic
spirit and gave freely of his means to aid the needy. In fact he was constantly extending



HISTORY OF SEATTLE ;j29

a helping hand and he left the impress of his individuality for good upon the history of
the community in which he lived. He died when eighty-four years of age as the result
of injuries caused by a fall, having long survived his wife, who passed away in her fortieth
year.

Their son, James D. Hoge, Sr., was born in Zanesville in 1836, attended the schools
of that city and ultimately became an electrician. For many years he was manager of
the local Western Union telegraph office and had the reputation of being the champion
telegrapher of the world at that early period in the development of the science. His
opposition to the system of slavery led to his joining the republican party when it was
formed to prevent a further extension of the system into northern territory. He became
one of its stalwart advocates and exercised considerable influence in its support. He
continued his residence in Zanesville until called to his final rest in December, 1904. His
wife, who bore the maiden name of Anna Slack, was also a native of that locality and a
daughter of John B. Slack, a prominent Ohio pioneer. His life was guided by his firm
belief in the principles of the Baptist church and his political faith was that of the demo-
cratic party, to which he also stanchly adhered. His was a well ordered and upright life
that commanded for him the respect and confidence of all with whom he came in contact.
Mr. and Mrs. Hoge became the parents of a son and daughter, and the latter married Hon.
Frederic James Grant, a gentleman of marked literary ability, who resided in Seattle but
lost his life in a shipwreck at sea.

James Doster Hoge, Jr., began his education in Ohio, where he attended the public
schools through successive grades until he became a high school pupil. He afterward pursued
a commercial course in a business college and at the age of eighteen years arrived in Seattle.
From that time forward he has been identified with the interests of the northwest and the
spirit of enterprise and progress which has been the dominant factor in the rapid and
substantial upbuilding of this section of the country has been manifest in his career. He
was first employed as a stenographer by ex-Governor John H. McGraw, but entered upon
active identification with the banking business the following fall, when he secured the
position of messenger and stenographer in the First National Bank. Almost immediately
his employers recognized his industry, his trustworthiness and his growing efficiency and
from time to time he was promoted as he mastered the duties intrusted to him. At length
he was given charge of the notes, discounts and collections and in that training developed
/he power and capacity which have since made him one of the foremost bankers of the
northwest. His connection with banking, however, was not continuous, for in 1894, in
partnership with his brother-in-law, Mr. Grant, he purchased the Post-Intelligencer from
L. S. J. Hunt. He afterward spent a few months in the east acquainting himself with the
workings of daily papers and in the fall of that year assumed the business management
of the Post-Intelligencer, becoming its general manager a year later. With marked ability
he promoted the interests of the paper until September, 1897, at which time he sold out to
the Piper Brothers. He had undertaken the work with the same thoroughness that has
always characterized his business career and his strenuous labors at length demanded that
he should have rest. In order to recuperate he made a trip around the world, returning to
Seattle after an absence of nine months.

It was then that he reentered the field of banking, purchasing stock in the First National
Bank of Seattle. In September, 1898, he was elected its president and continued as such
until the spring of 1903, when he sold his interest in that bank and in November of the
same year organized the Union Savings & Trust Company, with a capital stock of one
hundred thousand dollars. He became the president of the new institution, which, under
his management, has grown rapidly, so much so that its capital stock has been increased
from time to time until it is now six hundred thousand dollars and there is a usrplus of
over two hundred thousand dollars, while the institution has deposits of nearly five million
dollars. In 1912 the bank erected an eighteen-story building of the most modern plan and
maintains its home on the entire first floor. The Hoge building is admitted to be one of
the finest office buildings in the entire west. The bank is finished in marble and gold and
is one of the handsomest banks of the entire country. The building is owned by the bank,
which also has branches at Georgetown and Ballard. In 1900, Mr. Hoge became one of
the organizers of the Bank of Cape Nome, in Alaska, was chosen in president and retained



330 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

that position until he sold out. His business interests are most extensive and important
for aside from his bank connections he is a director of the Alaska-Pacific Steamship
Company and of the Alaska Coast Company. He has still other business interests but
confines his attention largely to the direction of the affairs of the Union Savings & Trust
Company, which he has made one of the strong financial concerns of the coast country.

In December, 1894, Mr. Hoge was united in marriage to Miss Ethel Hanna, a native
of Mattoon, Illinois, and a daughter of John W. Hanna, of Seattle. To them have been
born two daughters, Mary Louise and Anna Roberta. Mr. and Mrs. Hoge hold membership
in St. Mark's Episcopal church, in which he is serving as one of the vestrymen. He belongs
to The Highlands, the Rainier Club and the Golf Club and is a life member of both the
Press Club and the Athletic Club, and also has membership in the Union Club and the
Golf Club of Tacoma. His political allegiance is given to the republican party and that
he is one of its prominent workers in Washington is indicated in the fact that he has been
chairman of the republican state central committee and that he has been its treasurer for
fourteen years. He has worked earnestly and effectively in the interests of the party and
is equally active in his support of plans and measures for the upbuilding and welfare of
Seattle. He is a prominent member of the Chamber of Commerce and has been a cooperant
factor in many of its well defined and carefully executed plans for the interest of the city.
He stands as a high type of American manhood and chivalry. He believes that opportunity
should be given each individual and his democratic spirit prompts him to extend a helping
hand wherever he can aid the individual or the community. In his own career, however,
he has not been dependent upon the assistance of others, but has worked his way upward
through the exercise of his native talents and the utilization of his opportunities. He has
never been actuated by the spirit of vaulting ambition and yet has never feared to venture
where favorable opportunity has pointed the way. He is fortunate in that he possesses
character and ability that inspire confidence in others and the simple weight of his character
and ability have carried him into important relations.



EDWARD JOHN O'DEA.



Edward John O'Dea, bishop of Seattle, was born November 23, 1856, in Boston,
Massachusetts, where he attended private school for a short time before he departed with
his mother and younger brother for California by way of the Isthmus route. At San
Francisco he entered St. Ignatius College on Market street, remaining a student there
for several years. In 1866, however, his parents removed to Portland, Oregon, where
they still reside.

After a few years spent in the public schools Bishop O'Dea entered the school con-
ducted by the Sisters of the Holy Names in Portland and afterward completed his classical
course of six years in St. Michael's College in the same city. Following his graduation
from that institution he entered the Grand Seminary in Montreal, Canada, where he
studied for six years longer, pursuing courses in philosophy and theology and thus prepar-
ing for the priesthood, to which he was ordained December 23, 1882. holy orders being
conferred upon him by Archbishop Fabre.

Immediately after his ordination he returned to Portland, Oregon. He was the first
resident of that state to become a member of the priesthood. Being assigned to duty at
the cathedral, he served there under the pioneer Archbishop Blanchet and the martyred
Archbishop Charles J. Seghers. Upon the arrival of Archbishop William H. Gross from
Savannah, Georgia, he was appointed his secretary, which position he occupied for ten
years, when he was made pastor of St. Patrick's church in Portland. On the 13th of
June, i8g6, he was created a bishop and was consecrated the third bishop of Nisqually
by Archbishop Gross in Vancouver, Washington, September 8, 1896, succeeding the Right
Rev. Aegidius Junger, whose residence was at Vancouver, Washington. In March, 1903,
Bishop O'Dea removed his residence temporarily from Vancouver to Seattle, having
acquired a home on Terry avenue near Cherry street, just a block from the new cathedral
on Ninth avenue. Realizing the importance that Seattle would soon assume as the great




EDWARD J. O'DEA



'331JC






HISTORY OF SEATTLE 333

trade emporium of the Pacific coast, the Bishop petitioned the Pope to officially transfer
his residence to Seattle and received a favorable answer September ir, 1907, creating the
diocese of Seattle. St. James cathedral was dedicated December 22, 1907, when the
letter of Pope Pius X, changing the title of the diocese from Nisqually to Seattle, was
read before a great concourse of people. The diocese of Nisqually was established May
31, 1850, and was so called for the ancient village which now exists but in name near
the city of Olympia, but which in early times was the headquarters of the powerful
Nisqually tribe of Indians, among whom the pioneer Catholic missionaries lived and
labored for many years.

The progress of the diocese during the administration of Bishop O'Dea may be esti-
mated by the following facts: When he took charge in 1896 the diocese contained only
thirty-nine secular priests; twenty-four priests of religious orders; forty-one churches with
resident priests; forty-eight missions with churches; four colleges and academies for boys;
fourteen academies for young ladies ; five orphan asylums ; eleven hospitals ; and a Catholic
population of forty-two thousand. In the year 1910 there were eighty-one secular priests;
si.xty-two priests of religious orders; seventy-eight churches with resident priests; one
hundred and two missions with churches ; six colleges and academies for boys ; nineteen
academies for young ladies ; six orphan asylums ; thirteen hospitals ; and a Catholic popula-
tion of ninety thousand.

At the beginning of the 3'ear 1914 there were in the diocese of Seattle, one hundred
and two diocesan priests and seventy-two priests of religious orders, a total of one hundred
and seventy-four priests; there were ninety-five churches with resident pastors and in all
two hundred churches in the diocese. The Catholic population had reached at that time
approximately one hundred thousand. During the residence of Bishop O'Dea in Seattle,
the number of churches in that city has increased from three to sixteen.

Owing to the growth and increasing importance of the state of Washington, the estab-
lishment of a new diocese east of the Columbia river had become of paramount necessity.
The greater good of the advancing church in those parts and the spiritual needs of the faith-
ful impelled Bishop O'Dea to lay the matter before the Holy See, and accordingly a decree
was issued from Rome, bearing date of December 17, 1913, by which the diocese of Seattle
was canonically dismembered into the two dioceses of Seattle and Spokane. The line of
division, which is by counties, runs north and south, and happens to be very nearly coinci-
dent with the 120th meridian. In the same decree, pending the election of a bishop, Bishop
O'Dea was appointed administrator of the new diocese, a position which he retained until
June 18, 1914, when Right Reverend Augustine F. Schinner, previously bishop of Superior,
was solemnly installed as the first bishop of Spokane.

Thus from the old diocese of Nisqually under the administration of Bishop O'Dea have
sprung in a comparatively few years, two well organized and flourishing dioceses. That of
Seattle, over which Bishop O'Dea continues to rule, though now reduced to about one-half
its former territory, with about two-thirds of the Catholic population it embraced when it
covered the entire state of Washington, is yet, in point of the number of its priests and
people, its churches and religious institutions, in the foremost rank among the ecclesiastical
divisions of tlje great northwest.



EVERETT ELLSWORTH SIMPSON.

Everett Ellsworth Simpson, an attorney of Seattle, has specialized in law relating to
land titles, mortgage loans and property interests rather than in the work of the courts.
He has a high standing at the bar and as a citizen. He was born April 28, 1863, in Dakota
county, Minnesota, a son of John and Sarah (Porter) Simpson, the former a native of
New York and the latter of Massachusetts. Following their marriage, which was celebrated
in Illinois, they removed to Minnesota, settling there before the state had been admitted
to the Union. The father devoted his life to the occupation of farming. He was of Scotch
descent, while his wife was a representative of an old New England family and traced
her ancestry back to the Mayflower Pilgrims of 1620. who were of English lineage. The
Vol. in— 15



334 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

family histor}' includes many names that have figured prominently in connection with the
early records of New England.

Everett E. Simpson attended Carleton College at Northfield, Minnesota, and won the
Bachelor of Science degree upon graduation with the class of 1886. He afterward pursued
a law course in the University of Wisconsin at Madison, graduating in 1888, at which time
the LL. B. degree was conferred upon him. On the 28th of August of that year he arrived
in Seattle and entered upon the practice of his chosen profession, first in the office of Humes
& Andrews. Later he was associated for a short time with H. H. Ames. At present he
is associated in his law business with B. B. Moser, but during the greater part of his
professional career he has been alone in practice. He specializes in titles and mortgage
loans for private clients, and his law practice is financial and business rather than the work
of the courts. His knowledge of law relating to property, to titles, to loans and kindred
subjects, is comprehensive and exact and has enabled him to handle with ability an extensive
practice along those lines, having as his clients many of the prominent business men of
the city. He is himself a heavy realty holder in Seattle. At the time of the fire in 1889
he and his partner, Mr. Ames, had oflices in the Arcade building, now the Starr-Boyd
block. They managed to save nearly everything except their safe. After the fire the only
place where they could obtain office room was at Third and Union streets, the firms of
White & Munday, Humes & Andrews and .'Kmes & Simpson all having offices in the same
building.

On the 2d of June, 1909, in Seattle, Mr. Simpson was married to Miss Alma Christensen,
a daughter of C. W. Christensen. a hardware dealer of Seattle. Her superior vocal powers
have won her fame as one of the leading singers of Seattle and she is popular in both
church and social circles. Her voice has been splendidly trained, for she was a student
under Hans Buchwald in Berlin. Mr. and Mrs. Simpson and their son, Ellsworth Everett,
occupy an attractive home, in which warm-hearted hospitality is extended to their many
friends. Mr. Simpson is a member of Seattle Camp No. 69, W. O. W., and of the National
Union. He is likewise a member of the Queen Anne Nomadics, a literary and social club
existing since the fall of 1892 on Queen Anne hill. His political allegiance is given the
republican parly and he is an active worker in its ranks, having been a delegate to city,
county and state conventions and doing effective and earnest work in support of the party,
yet never seeking or desiring public office. Tlie path that he has followed in his law
practice and in his investments has led to success and he stands high, both as a man and
as a lawyer, commanding the goodwill, confidence and high regard of those with whom he
is associated.



WILLIAM R. BRAWLEY.



During the pioneer epoch in the history of Seattle, William R. Brawley became one of
the residents of the then tiny village. He saw and recognized the possibilities of the west
and believed that a great city might grow up on the shore of the Sound, where excellent
shipping advantages could be enjoyed. Therefore, he made investments in real estate and
as the years passed success rewarded his efforts and proved the wisdom of his selection of
Seattle as a place of residence.

Mr. Brawley was born in Meadville, Crawford county, Pennsylvania, on the 20th of
February, 1840. and traced his ancestry in America back to the colonial period, for repre-
sentatives of the name were among the first to establish homes on American soil. His
grandfather, James Brawley, was a native of Eastport, Pennsylvania, but removed thence
to Crawford county, that state, casting in his lot with the early settlers there. In fact,
hardly a liome had been established in Crawford county when he took up his abode within
its borders and his son, William R. Brawley, Sr., father of William R. Brawley of this
review, was the first white child born in Crawford county. He followed the occupation
of farming and of milling and after attaining his majority was united in marriage to Miss
Tane Stewart, a native of Erie county, Pennsylvania. He filled the office of justice of the
peace and was connected with the moral development of the county as an active, earnest
worker in the Methodist church and as superintendent of the Sunday school.



lUSTORY OF SEATTLE 335

William R. Brawley, whose name heads this review, was one of a family of five
children and was educated in the schools of Crawford county. At the time of the discovery
of oil in Pennsylvania he and three of his brothers were among the first to begin work
in the oil fields. Securing the necessary tools, they began building oil wells under contract
and soon were able to lease land and at one time were the owners and operators of twenty-
five oil wells, having leased twelve thousand acres of land. Their principal well, known as
the Troutman, produced a flow of eight hundred and fifty barrels per day. Their work in
the oil fields resulted most profitably for them.



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 40 of 142)