Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 41 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 41 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


In 1879 Mr. Brawley and his brother, D. C. Brawley, became convinced of the advan-
tages to be enjoyed in Seattle and the former made his way to the coast in order to make
investments, while the brother remained in tlie east to look after their interests there.
William Brawley was pleased with the outlook in Seattle and became at once identified
with the city. After ten years a great conflagration destroyed much of Seattle and he lost
very heavily, as many others did. However, he possessed undaunted energy and courage
and at once set to work to retrieve his losses. As time passed he invested in real estate
and became the owner of much valuable property in Seattle. He was greatly interested in
farm lands and his lioldings of such were extensive. In 1S83 his brother, Dewitt Clinton
Brawley, joined him in Seattle and they continued together in business until the death of
D. C. Brawley on the 14th of March, 1900. The labors of the one supplemented and
rounded out the efforts of the other and their business affairs were most capably and
profitably conducted.

In 1S82 William R. Brawley was united in marriage to Miss Gertrude Parkhnrst, a
native of Pennsylvania and a daughter of Henry Saxton Parkhnrst, a descendant of an
old Swiss family that was established in Vermont in an early day. Her paternal grand-
father, Elim Parkhurst, was a soldier of the Revolutionary war, aiding in winning independ-
ence for the nation, while her father took part in the struggle to preserve the nation through
the Civil war. At the close of hostilities between the north and the south he entered the
ministry of the Methodist Episcopal church and continued active in the work until his
death, which occurred in 1875. His widow and their children afterward came to Seattle,
where Mrs. Parkhurst still resides. To Mr. and Mrs. Brawley were born four children,
two of whom have passed away, those still living being W. Parkhurst and Edith.

Mr. Brawley was a Mason for many years, having liccome identified with the order
previous to removing to the coast and he was also an active member and a trustee of the
First Methodist church of Seattle, which he joined in 1884. His death occurred in 1904
and was the occasion of deep regret to the many friends among whom he had lived and
labored for so many years. At the time of the fire he and his brother established a brick-
yard and they had established the Brawley addition to the city in 1882. Their various
activities were a factor in the city's upbuilding, growth and development and their names
deserve to be enrolled among the founders and promoters of Seattle.



ADAM M. BEELER.



Adam M. Beeler, who since the spring of iix)7 has been a resident of Seattle, where
throughout the intervening years he has successfully engaged in law practice, being now
senior partner in the firm of Beeler & Sullivan, was born in Wells county, Indiana, October
II, 1880, a son of Peter Beeler, who was also a native of that state, where he successfully
engaged in agricultural pursuits until death called him in 1900, when he was fifty-seven
years of age. His wife bore the maiden name of Elizabeth Heckithorn and was born in
Indiana, a representative of one of the old families there. She is still surviving and occupies
the old home place in Wells county.

Adam M. Beeler was the fourth in order of birth in a family of nine children. His
youthful days were spent upon the home farm and his education was acquired in the public
schools. At tlie age of seventeen he began teaching, following that profession in his home
county for two years, after which he entered the University of Indiana, in which he pursued
a three vears' course. Thus liberal educational advantages along more specifically literary



3.36 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

lines well qualified him to take up the study of law, for which purpose he entered the law
school of the George Washington University, from which he was graduated with the LL. B.
degree in 1906. He turned to the west for a favorable field of labor and in the spring
of 1907 became a resident of Seattle, where he entered immediately upon the practice of
his chosen profession, forming a partnership with Robert Grass under the firm name of
Beeler & Grass. The partnership was discontinued in January, 1909, since which time Mr.
Beeler has been associated with John J. Sullivan under the firm name of Beeler & Sullivan.
A liberal clientage of a distinctively representative character is accorded them. He worked
his own way through the university and the ambition and strength of character which
enabled him to do so are the qualities which are bringing him growing success in practice.
When he came to Seattle he had a cash capital of but fifty cents. He had neither friends
nor acquaintances here, and casting in his lot among strangers, he has since worked his
way upward, achieving success that places him with the able members of the Seattle bar.

On the 9th of April, 1909, in Seattle, Washington, Mr. Beeler was united in marriage
to Miss Florence Scott, a native of Marion, Indiana, and a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Elwood
Scott, representing an old and very prominent family of Marion. Mrs. Beeler is an accom-
plished vocalist and prominent in social and club circles of Seattle. By her marriage she
has become the mother of two children, namely, Madison Scott, who was born in Seattle,
April 24. 1910, and Betty Sue, whose birth occurred in Seattle on the 19th of July, 1912.
The family resides on Queen Anne Hill in one of the attractive residence districts of the
city.

Mr. Beeler belongs to various fraternities and clubs. He is a member of the Delta Tau
Delta, Camp No. 59, Woodmen of the World, the Knights of Pythias and the Ancient Order
of United Workmen. He is also connected with the Metropolitan Club and the Commercial
Club and in the latter is chairman of Alaska coal lands. He takes a most active interest in
the work of the club and in the welfare of the city along the lines of civic and industrial
development. In politics he is a republican and was the candidate of his party for the
state senate in 1914. He made a good race, running ahead of the ticket, and he has been
very active in politics. He is a most public-spirited citizen, standing for progress and
improvement along all lines leading to the development, welfare and upbuilding of Seattle
and his work has been of farreaching efi^ect and value.



CORNELIUS OSSEWARD.

Cornelius Osseward is conducting an extensive and profitable drug business under the
name of Osseward's Pharmacy. This was the first e.xclusive prescription pharmacy on
the Pacific coast and has always set the standard for business activity of this character.
Mr. Osseward was born December 12, 1866, at Wissenkerke, in the province of Zeeland in
the Netherlands. His father, P. Osseward, also a native of that country, came to America
with his family in 1881 and settled in the east. He was a carpenter and builder by trade
and continued in business along those lines until his death. His wife, who bore the maiden
name of Anna De Smit, is also a native of Holland and now resides in Kalamazoo. Michi-
gan. In their family were three daughters and two sons.

Cornelius Osseward, the second in order of birth, was educated in the district schools
of his native country and in Northwestern University of Chicago, where he completed
a course and was graduated with the Ph. C. degree as a member of the class of 1896. Com-
ing to the northwest he was first employed by the firm of Stewart & Holmes, of Seattle,
for a period of four years. He arrived in this city in 1899 and after his period of clerk-
ship, established his present business, having the first exclusive prescription pliarmacy on
the Pacific coast. He now has an extensive establishment well appointed and containing all
lines of drugs for prescription work. His patronage is now very extensive and his success
is the legitimate outcome of well defined plans, carefully executed, and of thoroughly reli-
able dealing. He is a member of the State Pharmaceutical Association and has served as
president and as a member of various committees. He also belongs to the American
Pharmaceutical Association and has just completed a term as chairman of section on prac-




CORNELIUS OSSEWARD



:^yBi.it u.






HISTORY OF SEATTLE 339

tical pharmacy and dispension. He also lectures on practical pharmacy at the University
of Washington. He has been a member of the state board of pharmacy for six years, now
serving under the appointment of the governor for a second term of five years.

On the igth of May, 1903, Mr. Osseward was married in Seattle, to Miss Lena Shank,
a native of Washington and a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles H. Shank. They have
become the parents of four children: John, born in Seattle, June 12, 1904; Adriana, born
December 20, 1906; Peter, August 13, 1908; and James, February 12, 191 1. Mr. Osseward
holds membership with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He has led a busy
life characterized by an unfaltering purpose and actuated by laudable ambition. The
strength of his character is shown in the fact that he made his own way through the uni-
versity and that his success has been gained entirely through his own efforts. As the years
have come and gone he has held to a fixed purpose and in all his career has never deviated
from the highest standard of commercial ethics, conducting his business along modern lines
and winning an honorable and gratifying success.



MACRAE BROTHERS.



Peter and John MacRae constitute the firm of MacRae Brothers. They come of Scot-
tish ancestry and yifere born in Canada, but both are naturalized citizens of the United
States. They have been residents of Seattle since 1900 and have become firmly established
as leading contractors of the city, where they have erected many of the best buildings,
including the Bigelow sanitary market, the Burlington Hotel, the Elliott Hotel, the Broad-
way building, the Anion apartments, the Providence building on First avenue. South, the
Overland garage, the Studebaker garage, the Stetson-Ross Machine Works and the Crom-
well Manufacturing building. They were also the builders of Pantages Theater in Port-
land, Oregon, and these buildings at once established their reputation as foremost con-
tractors of the northwest.



ROSS E. HIBLER.



The commercial interests of Seattle find a worthy representative in Ross E. Hibler,
a wholesale grocer, conducting business at No. 813 Western avenue. The spirit of western
enterprise has ever actuated him at all points in his career and with the belief that Seattle
will become the great city on the coast he has permanently fixed his abode here and his
efforts are contributing to its upbuilding and advancement. He was born in Idaho City,
Idaho, September 6, 1867. His father, F. T. Hibler, was a professor and prominent attorney
of Idaho and died in Kansas in 1881. There were but two children in the family, the
daughter being Constance E., who passed away when quite young.

Ross E. Hibler, the only surviving member of the family, pursued his education in
the public schools of Kansas, California and Oregon, according to the removals of his
parents and the establishment of the family home. He first entered the field of general
merchandising at Scio, Oregon, where he remained for fifteen years. In 1903 he arrived
in Seattle and assisted in organizing the Superior Cracker Company, becoming one of the
active members of that firm. He afterward sold out, however, and entered into partnership
with F. Jobst and organized the wholesale grocery business at the present location. This
was in 1007 and throughout the intervening years the business has been steadily conducted
by the firm, their trade growing year by year. They handle a general line of staple
groceries and the business has now assumed gratifying proportions.

In Scio, Oregon, in 1888, Mr. Hibler was married to Miss Lillie Gill, a daughter of
M. C. Gill, one of the pioneers of that state. Three children have been born to them :
lessie, twenty-four years of age ; Lionel, twenty years of age, now attending high school,
snd Kenneth, fourteen years old.

Mr. Hibler's residence in Seattle covers twelve years, during which time he has seen



340 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

the city doubled in population. He is greatly pleased with the climate and has no desire to
change his place of residence, preferring Washington to all other states of the Union.
Fraternally he is connected with the Masons, the Odd Fellows and the Arctic Club. He
belongs also to the Chamber of Commerce and to the Commercial Club. His political
indorsement is given to the republican party and he works in a quiet way for its success
but has never been an office seeker. He has many friends and acquaintances in Seattle,
where he is numbered among the popular and prosperous merchants of the city, his success
being due to his stability of character, his trustworthiness, his indefatigable industry and his
uniform courtesy to his patrons.



FRED C. FURTH.



Fred C. Furth is the general manager of the Vulcan Manufacturing Company and
along the path of steady advancement and progression has reached the present responsible
and enviable position that he now fills as a representative of industrial activity in Seattle.
A native of Genoa, Nevada, Fred C. Furth was born in September, 1878, a son of Fred
and Jennie (\\'}'att) Furth. They were the parents of si-\ children, three of whom are
deceased. Those living, besides our subject, are; Lou May, now Mrs. Harry M. Bemiss,
of Seattle, and Jacob Richmond, of Okanogan county, Washington, in the government
forestry service. The father, a native of Austria, was born December 6, 1839, and after
pursuing his education there for a period accompanied his brothers on their emigration to
the new world, the family home being established in St. Louis, Missouri, where he attended
the public scliools. In the early '50s he made the long, arduous, difficult and ofttimes
dangerous journey across the plains and settled in Carson City, Nevada, where he worked
for his brother in a general mercantile establishment. Later he became count}' clerk of
Douglas county, Nevada, and continued to fill that office until 1879, when he removed to
Colusa, California, where he engaged in the saddle and harnessmaking business for three
years.

In 18S2, however, Mr. Furth sold out and took up his abode at Spokane, Washington,
where he conducted a similar enterprise, becoming one of the representative early merchants
of that city. In 18S8 he was elected mayor of Spokane and an indication of his ability
in office is found in the words of the Lincoln County Times, which said : "Our readers
will pardon us for referring to a matter that is altogether personal. It is of no local
significance, and is in the nature of a kind word in relation to a gentleman whom the
writer has known for years, and who is respected for his many sterling qualities. The
gentleman is Hon. Fred Furth, who has filled the thankless office of mayor of Spokane
Falls for the past year and who in that capacity is known to many beyond the corporate
limits of that city. \Mth the close of last week ended his year of service to that munici-
pality, and so far as we have seen there is no local paper of that place to do him reverence
or even justice.

"Mr. Furth has filled the office of mayor of Spokane Falls during a year of such trials
as were never forced upon the shoulders of a predecessor, and most nobly has he acquitted
himself. He is not a stranger to the people of that city. He cast his fortune with the
community several years ago. Modest, quiet, retiring in his disposition, Mr. Furth never
held or never sought a public office until the mayoralty was forced upon him. He accepted
as a duty, and not a single individual of the twenty-five thousand inhabitants of that city
question his disinterested honesty, or his unwavering fidelity to the best interests of the
municipality of which he was the head.

"No mayor ever gave so much time to the duties of the office. During the twelve
months he served in this capacity he never missed a meeting of the council, and has given
up his time to the labors that have required almost his entire attention. It was a case
of self-abnegation of personal interests rarely to be met with. While other men were
seeking the almighty dollar, taking advantage of the opportunities the past year have
presented in the Falls. Mayor Furth has had but one object in view, the conscientious
performance of the duties of the office, and this he has done to the neglect of all personal



HISTURY UK SEATTLE ;j41

considerations. It gives us pleasure, even at this distance, where a large body of our readers
know nothing of the gentleman in question, to contribute our humble praise to the man
who has mac^e a record of which any man might well be proud.

"During the administration of Mr. Furth the great fire swept over Spokane Falls. Mr.
Furth had much personal property, not only threatened but destroyed in that conflagration.
Instead of devoting his attention to the saving of his own property, as- most men would
have done under the circumstances, he gave his whole time to the city at large, never
wavering in his self-devotion to the public. We were among the first who met Fred Furth
when he landed in Spokane a number of years ago. Then, as now% he was a quiet, pleasant,
unassuming gentleman. True as steel, honorable in all his dealings, kind and considerate,
he made many friends and was well liked. In all the years we have known him we have
never heard a word breathed against Fred Furth.

"He goes out of public office respected. Ask any business man of Spokane Falls
regarding his individual administration and the answer will always be the same, he was the
best mayor the city ever had. His trials during the year have been great. He shows it in
his person. The silver, not always the harbinger of years, marks his hair and beard. His
smile is just as pleasant, his greeting just as cheerful as in the old days, but the year of
active service has been a great strain and he retires to private life a poorer and more broken
man. May the future have in store for him happier days and greater prosperity is the wish
of The Times."

After retiring from the mayoralty Mr. Furth came to Seattle in iSqi as secretary and
treasurer of the Vulcan Iron Works, thus continuing active in business to the time of his
death, which occurred October 19. i8y8.

Fred C. Furth was a lad of but four summers when the family home was established
in Spokane and there lie attended the public schools until he reached the age of fourteen
}-ears. He afterward became a student in a high school in Nevada county, California,
where he studied until he reached the age of eighteen. He then came to Seattle and
attended the \\'ilson's Business College for a year, at the end of which time he became
stenographer with the firm of Mosher & McDonald. A year later he entered the employ
01 the MacDougall & Soutliwick Dry Goods Company as an apprentice, continuing with
tlie house until 1897. He then engaged with The Lace House as salesman for a year and
at the end of that time entered the employ of the Vulcan Iron Works, acquainting himself
with the business in all of its branches. Gradually he worked his way upward, promotion
taking him through various positions until he became general manager in 1912, since which
time he has acted in that capacity. The Vulcan Manufacturing Company was established
as the Vulcan Iron Works in 1892 by his uncle, Jacob Furth, and others, and in March,
1912, was reincorporated as the Vulcan Manufacturing Company. From 1892 until 1009
Isaac Hulme was general manager of the business and was president from 1898 until 1909.
His efforts were instrumental in building up the business from small proportions. At its
inception the undertaking was located at the foot of University street and in 1898 a
removal was made to Seattle boulevard, between Fourth and Fifth streets. In the early
days only forty people were employed and today the names of two hundred and fifty
employes are upon their pay roll. In 1910 the plant was removed to its present location at
1200 Fourth avenue. South, where it covers three and one-half acres. The walls of the
plant are all of glass and another indication of the growth of the business is found in the
fact that in 1892 they had nine thousand square feet of floor space where today they cover
three and one-half acres. The plant is equipped with all modern machinery necessary to
the business and they manufacture a general line of mechanical handling, conveying, marine,
logging and mining machinery, doing business all over the coast country and as far east
as Colorado and as far north as Alaska. When the business was organized in 1892 they
confined their attention to general jobbing and shop work, but today do all kinds of struc-
tural street work for bridge building and for buildings. They have furnished steel frames
for the Arcade, Haight, Poison Implement. Liberty Theater, Mission Theater and Pantages
Theater buildings, the Horton estate building at Georgetown, the New England Hotel, the
W. P. Trimble building, the new Bon Marche building and the Grand Theater. Their
marine work includes the machinery for the steamers Mystic. Magic, Councilman, Cudahy,
V'ulcan and others.



342 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

In June, 1S99, in Seattle, Mr. Furth was united in marriage to Miss Hazelette Ireton,
by whom he has one child, Frederick Raymond, who is fourteen years of age and a high
school student. Mr. Furth exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and
measures of the republican party. In his fraternal relations he is a Scottish Rite Mason
and an Elk and he belongs to the Arctic Club. He has a wide acquaintance in Seattle,
where he has won the favorable regard of many, while in business circles he has gained
the admiration and respect of all who know aught of his record. He has won his advance-
ment through merit and ability and gradually has reached the prominent position which he
today occupies.



PATRICK FRANCIS PURCELL.

Patrick Francis Purcell, founder of the Purcell Safe Company of Seattle and president
of the business since its inception, belongs to that class of men who have recognized the
opportunities of the northwest and, utilizing those opportunities to good advantage, have
reached a position of leadership in business and financial circles. Various corporations have
felt the stimulus of the efforts and enterprise of Mr. Purcell, who is an officer in a number
of important companies.

A native of Ireland, he was born at Breanermore, in County Tipperary, August 7,
1869, a son of Martin and Katherine (Ahern) Purcell, the former of English lineage, while
the latter was of pure Irish descent. Six generations of the family lived on the old family
homestead at Breanermore where Patrick F. Purcell was born. He was educated under
private tutors until the spring of 1885, when, at the age of fifteen years, he came to the
United States. He then went west and for two years rode the range in Kansas and Ne-
braska for the American Cattle Company, but he was ambitious to engage in business on
his own account and began dealing in horses and cattle at Benkleman, Nebraska. After
a year he left that place and engaged in prospecting in the mountains of Colorado for two
years. Later he went to New York, where he entered the employ of the well known safe
manufacturers, Marvin & Company. Since then he has devoted his entire time to that line
of business and excellent success has attended his efforts. After many years with that
company and with the E. C. Morris Company he came to Seattle in December, 1902, and
he organized the Purcell Safe Company, of which he has since been the president. He is
also president of the Malto Bran Distributing Company. His interests are broad and im-
portant and his business activity has been of a character that has carried him steadily
forward and won for him a prominent position among the strong, resourceful and capable
men of the northwest.

On the 7th of January, 1908, Mr. Purcell was united in marriage to Mrs. Martha May
(Triplett) Van De Vanter, a daughter of Silas D. and Rebecca M. Triplett. Mr. Purcell
holds life membership in the Arctic Club, the Seattle Athletic Club, the Commercial Club
and the Chamber of Commerce — associations which indicate the nature of his interests
outside the strict path of business. He has qualities which have gained him personal
popularity and he has appreciation for the social amenities of life, yet he never allows out-
side interests to interfere with the capable conduct of his business affairs, and today the



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 41 of 142)