Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 42 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 42 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Purcell Safe Company is widely known in the northwest and other business interests with
which he is associated have become prominent factors in commercial circles of this section
of the country.



ROBERT F. BOOTH.



Following the trend of the times, which is toward specialization in all fields of profes-
sional activity, Robert F. Booth, as member of the bar, has given his attention to real-estate
law. He was born at Caledonia, Minnesota, on the 17th of June, 1875, and is descended
from an old family from Manchester, England, that was founded in Vermont long prior
to the Revolutionary war. Many representatives of the family rendered valiant service




PATRICK F. PURCELL



PUBiJt






HISTORY OF SEATTLE 345

to the country in the War for Independence in the struggle to preserve the Union. Albert
F. Booth, the father of Robert F. Booth, was a native of New York and became a well
known newspaper man. He was for four years a soldier of the Civil war and afterward
was engaged in military service on the plains with General Custer, but had left that com-
mand ere the memorable battle in which Custer and his entire force lost their lives, being
massacred by Indians. At one time Albert F. Booth worked on the Minneapolis Tribune
under Colonel A. J. Blethen, and at present is with Colonel Blethen on the Seattle Times.
His wife bore the maiden name of Aristine Atwood.

In the public schools of Minnesota, Robert F. Booth pursued his education and in
November. 1895, arrived on the Pacific coast. He secured a situation in a law office in
Olympia and was employed in that city as correspondent for the Seattle Telegraph and
the Tacoma Ledger. When his preliminary studies had brought him a wide knowledge
of the law he was admitted to practice in Olympia in May, 1896, at the age of twenty-one
years. He then gave up newspaper work and removed to Seattle to follow the legal profes-
sion and has steadily advanced along that line, being now accorded an extensive and
gratifying clientage in the field of his specialty, real-estate law.

Mr. Booth has two children, Bettina and Eugenia. He belongs to the Seattle Athletic
Club and gives his political allegiance to the republican party. At the time of the Spanish-
American war he became first sergeant of Company A, First Regiment of the National
Guard of Washington, at Olympia. The company was ready to answer to the second call,
but it never came. He has rendered effective service for his country in other connections,
however. He was elected to the lower house of the state legislature in 1905 and two
years later to the senate, where he served from 1907 to 1909. For eighteen months he was
assistant attorney general of the state, during the years 1906 and 1907, with headquarters
at Seattle. He was a member of the famous Third Ward Club and has been a delegate to
several county and state conventions. He studies with thoroughness the questions and
issues of the day affecting municipal affairs and state and national welfare and his deduc-
tions are sound and logical and are supported by clear and cogent argument.



DAVID R. McKINLAY.



David R. McKinlay, a successful business man and philanthropist, belonged to tliat
class who recognize their obligations to their fellows. He was a faithful servant who
wisely used his talents, nor did he count his success as his own, but ever put forth a
helping hand to assist others, being at all times most generous and benevolent. He it was
who gave the largest amount to the founding of the orphans' home of Seattle and thus
his good work goes on, although he has departed from the scene of earthly activities, having
been called to his final rest in 1913. He was then fifty-nine years of age, his birth having
occurred in California in 1854. His father, James McKinlay, came to Seattle about 1869.
He was a machinist and, following that trade, lived in Seattle until death called him. His
wife bore the maiden name of Janet Penman.

David R. McKinlay was always a resident of the Pacific coast country and was a
witness of the wonderful growth and development of the great western empire. He sup-
plemented his public school training in a collegiate school at Victoria, British Columbia.
With his parents he came to Seattle in 1869, when a youth of fifteen years, and he worked
at the machinist's trade with his father for three years, after which he entered an abstract
office, in which he remained for a time. Later he was in the office of ex-governor McGraw
for four years and for two years occupied a position in the city treasurer's office in connection
with Mr. Meacham. He was likewise assistant county treasurer under Frank Pontius and
was chief deputy under Governor John McGraw. The greater part of his life was devoted
thus to public service and over his record there falls no shadow of wrong nor suspicion of
evil. He retired in 1890 and the course which he pursued while an incumbent in public
positions is one which might well be followed by others.

Mr. McKinlay was married in California in 1802 to Miss Ida Confer, who lost a most
devoted husband when, in 1913. he passed away. He belonged to the Independent Order



346 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

of Odd Fellows and also held membership in the Seattle Club. He was public-spirited and
very charitable and there was no one in the city who gave so liberally to the cause of an
orphans' home to be called the Seattle Home for Orphans. When it was possible to assist
an individual or a deserving organization he did so, and yet his giving was entirely free
from ostentation or display. He sought these opportunities for doing good and rejoiced
in his success because it enabled him to ameliorate hard conditions of life for the unfortu-
nate. His name is honored by all who knew him and he lives in the memory of his friends
enshrined in the halo of a gracious presence and kindly spirit.



C. F. DAVIDSON, M. D.



Dr. C. F. Davidson, son of David Henry Davidson and Salome E. (Harshbarger)
Davidson, was born near Crawfordsville, Indiana. August i6, 1879. He conies of families
of sturdy pioneers. His early ancestors in America settled in Pennsylvania and Virginia
before 1750. Later generations moved westward with the advancing frontiers, settling at
his birthplace in 1829.

After the usual preliminary education he entered Wabash College, receiving the degree
S. B. in 1900. The following three years he devoted to teaching, one year in the high school
at Charlestown, Illinois, and two years in the University of Illinois. The summer of 1902
he spent abroad, visiting the famous universities of England and the continent and supple-
menting his knowledge of German and French.

In 1907 he received the degree of M. D. from Johns Hopkins University and was
honored with the appointment of resident surgical house officer in Johns Hopkins Hospital,
where he spent the following year.

He came to Seattle in the autumn of iyo8, entering upon private practice. During the
school year of 1908-9 he devoted a portion of his time as instructor of physiology in the
University of Washington. In 1910 he entered the Seattle department of health and sanita-
tion as city physician, and was promoted in 191 1 to the position of chief medical inspector,
officiating therein until 1914, acting also as medical advisor to the juvenile court. After
1914 his private practice demanded practically all his time, though he still acted as attending
physician to the public school clinic.

Dr. Davidson is a member of the Phi Beta Kappa and Alpha Omega Alpha fraternities,
and the Masonic lodge. In club life he is affiliated with the College Club, the Arctic Club
and the Athletic Club. He is an active member of the King County Medical Society, the
Commercial Club and '^'oung Men's Business Club. He is a member of the Presbyterian
church.

Dr. Davidson is one of the younger generations of medical men. but his abilities mark
him as one of the leading tncn in Iiis profession in the northwest.



WALTER SHEPARD FULTON.

Walter Shepard Fulton is an attorney, practicing in Seattle, with offices in the Hoge
building. His youthful environtncnt was that of the bench and bar and it developed in
him a desire to become a practitioner of law. Realizing at the outset of his career that
industry is the basis of professional advancement as well as of progress in commercial and
other lines, he has applied himself with thoroughness to the mastery of the principles of
jurisprudence and in his practice has carefully prepared each individual case. Pennsylvania
numbers him among her native sons, his birth having occurred in Pittsburgh on the loth
of August, 1873, his ancestors having come to America from the north of Ireland. The
first to cross the Atlantic was Robert Fulton, who established his home in Westmoreland
county, Pennsylvania, and at the time of the struggle for independence joined the colonial
army and fought in behalf of the cause of liberty. He was the great-great-grandfather of



HISTORY OF SEATTLE • :J47

Walter S. Fulton, whose father, William P. Fulton, was horn in Pennsylvania in 18^7.
After reaching adult age he wedded Martha White, a native of Wellshurg, Virginia, and
for many years he conducted business as a merchant in the east. He removed from Penn-
sylvania to Ohio, becoming a resident of Akron. His political allegiance was given to the
republican party and his religious faith was that of the Presbyterian church.

Walter Shepard Fullon, at the age of eight years, went to live with the late Judge
William H. White, formerly a justice of the supreme court of Washington. Upon his
arrival in Seattle he became a student in the public schools of the city and still later
attended the Territorial University. Subsequently he completed a two years' course in rne
j-ear's time at the University of Michigan, in Ann Arbor, and was admitted to the bar
before the supreme court of that state in 1894. Returning to Seattle he here entered upon
the practice of law and almost immediately became recognized as one of the rising, foremost
xoung lawyers of the northwest. No dreary novitiate awaited him. His ability enabled him
to cope with intricate legal problems and he gave evidence of the fact that he possessed
a keen, rapid, logical mind, plus the business sense, and a ready capacity for hard work.
At the starting point of his legal career he also gave evidence of the fact that he possessed
the rarer gifts of eloquence of language and strong personality. His marked strength of
character, his thorough grasp of the law and his ability to correctly apply its principles have
always been factors in his effectiveness as an advocate.

In November, i8g8, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Fulton and Miss Etta Nugent,
of Seattle, Washington, and a daughter of Captain Joseph Nugent. When attending the
University of Michigan Mr. Fulton became a member of the Phi Delta Phi, a fraternity
formed among the law students. He also has membership with the Sons of the American
Revolution and is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Rainier
and Seattle Golf and Country clubs. His political endorsement was originally given to the
democratic party, but since IQ03 he has been a republican. For three years he filled the
office of deputy prosecuting attorney under Mr. McElroy, after which he was nominated
and elected to the office. His personal popularity was great, and such was the regard
entertained for his ability that he ran far ahead of his ticket and he made a most excellent
record in that position. Practically his entire life has been passed in Seattle and the salient
traits of his character arc such as have won for him high and enduring regard, while his
ability has placed lu'm in a prominent position among the representatives of the bar.



, ■ HARRY FR.\NKLIX CLEA\T.S, M. 1).

Dr. Harry Franklin Cleaves, a medical practitioner of Seattle, is of Englisli and Scotch
descent, he representing in the paternal line an old English family that, however, has been
represented on American soil through five generations. The Scotch strain comes in through
the maternal line. A native of Boston, Massachusetts, Dr. Cleaves was born June 6, 1878,
a son of Melvin P. Cleaves, a native of Maine, who in 1872 became a resident of Boston,
where he engaged in the insurance business. He is still active, but is now a resident of
Bar Harbor, Maine. In politics he is a democrat and while living in Boston filled various
public offices and yet remains an active factor in political circles. He married Maggie
Forbes, who was a native of Boston, and died when her son, Harry F.. was but six years
of age. The elder of her two children, George Cleaves, is now a resident of Bar Harbor.

Dr. Cleaves accompanied his parents on their removal to Bar Harbor and passed
through consecutive grades in the public schools there until he completed the high school
course. Later he attended Colby Academy at New London, New Hampshire, and next
entered Williston Seminary at East Hampton, Massachusetts, from which he was graduated
in ig03. In preparation for a professional career he entered Tufts College Medical School
at Boston, Massachusetts, and won his professional degree upon graduation with the class
of igo7. Practical experience came to him through serving as interne in Mercy Hospital
at Springfield. Massachusetts, in which institution he spent a year, gaining broad and
valuable knowledge through active professional work. The northwest, with its growing
opportunities, however, attracted him and on the jStli of October, 1008, he arrived in-



348 'HISTORY OF SEATTLE

Seattle, where he immediately entered upon the work of the profession, in which he has
since been actively and successfully engaged, devoting his attention to general practice.

On the 17th of June, 1910, in Victoria, British Columbia, Dr. Cleaves was united in
marriage to Miss Marion F. Armitage. a native of Sutton-on-Trent, England, and a daughter
of Captain Ward Armitage, a captain in the English navy. Our subject and his wife have
one daughter, Iris, whose birth occurred in Seattle, Washington, August 2, 1912. In his
political views Dr. Cleaves is a republican, but has had no time for active political work,
preferring to give his undivided attention to professional duties. He is now a member of
the North End Medical Society, the King County Medical Society and the Washington State
Medical Association. He has a well equipped office in the Cobb building and is accorded
a liberal practice, for the public has seen demonstration of his ability and recognizes the
fact that he is most careful in the diagnosis of his cases and conscientious. in the perform-
ance of his professional duties.



JAMES SHANNON, M. D.



Dr. James Shannon, a medical practitioner of Seattle, was born in Marmora, Ontario,
Canada, on the 6th of April, 1859, a son of Daniel and Margaret Shannon. After attending
the public schools of his native province he continued his education in St. Catherine's
(Ont.) Collegiate Institute and in the Ottawa Normal School. Crossing the border into
the United States to become a resident of the republic, he later attended the University of
Califorina as a medical student and was graduated on the 15th of November, 1887. Thus
equipped for practice, he opened an office in Seattle in 1887 and has since remained, devoting
his entire attention to his professional duties, which have grown in volume and importance
as he has become more and more widely known and as his ability has been recognized by
the general public. He has financial interests of importance, being a director in the Bank
for Savings and in the Washington Building & Savings Bank, both of Seattle.

On the 2ist of May, 1891, in the city where he yet makes his home. Dr. Shannon was
married to Miss Monica Crookall, a daughter of Charles Crookall, of Berlin, Ontario.
They are now the parents of three sons and a daughter : Charles D., Arthur A., Edward
and Mary Monica.

Dr. Shannon is a Roman Catholic in religious faith and is identified with the Knights
of Columbus. He also belongs to the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and to the
University Club, and he finds pleasant association with men of learning, his tastes being
along the lines of higher culture.



M. HARWOOD YOUNG.



In business circles the name of M. Harwood Young was closely associated with the
development of electric railway systems and with the promotion of other important cor-
porate interests. He managed and directed large business enterprises and won sub-
stantial success through the employment of methods which neither sought nor required
disguise. His life's labors were terminated by the hand of death on the 27th of January,
1913. He was then in his sixty-seventh year, his birth having occurred at Groton, Massa-
chusetts, on the 2ist of September, 1846. He is descended from a good old New England
family, his paternal grandfather having been a valued resident of Plymouth, New Hamp-
shire, where he attained a ripe old age. It was in that historic town that his son, Lemuel
D. Young, was born and reared, as was his wife, who in her maidenhood bore the name of
Elizabeth Marston. Lemuel Young was but forty-three years of age when he suffered
an accident that terminated his life, which in its business connections had been devoted to
merchandising. Both he and his wife were members of the Methodist church and were
people of the highest respectability, their work constituting a force in the moral progress
of the town in which they made their home. In the public life of the community Mr. Young




DR. JAMES SHANNON



ItV.



Bl.il



I'i'






HISTORY OF SEATTLE 351

was also deeply interested and did not a little to shape public thought and action. His
wife passed away in 1865, when thirty-nine years of age. Their family numbered three
sons, Henry D., Edwin and M. Harwood, but the first named was drowned when the
Portland was wrecked in November, 1899, at which time he was thirty-eight years of age.

M. Harwood Young was but an infant when his parents removed from Massachusetts
to Manchester, New Hampshire. Seven years later they became residents of Laconia, in
the same state, and there Mr. Young continued his public school education. In 1864 he
successfully passed the examinations that admitted him to Harvard College, but the
conditions brought about by the war were such that he felt his first duty was to his
country and in August of that year offered his aid to the government, joining the
Union troops. With the outbreak of hostilities between the north and the south he had
endeavored to enlist, but his youth — for he was then a lad of but fifteen years — prevented
him from being accepted. When he finally joined the army he was a member of Com-
pany I, Eighth New Hampshire Volunteer Infantry. The regiment was afterward mounted
and as a cavalry command accompanied General Banks on his famous Red River cam-
paign, Mr. Young taking part in all of the engagements in which his company participated.
While in Mississippi they were sent to break up a forage train and in an attack he
sustained a severe saber wound across his leg which almost cost him his life and neces-
sitated his remaining in the hospital for four months. When he had sufficiently recovered
he once more joined his command and for some time before the close of the war acted
as regimental clerk under Lieutenant Colonel Flanders.

When the war was over Mr. Young returned to New Hampshire but soon afterward
went to Boston and obtained a clerical position in a wholesale drygoods house of that
city, remaining there until 1868, when he went to St. Louis, Missouri. There in connec-
tion with a friend he purchased twelve horses, a barouche, three prairie schooners and
four light wagons, after which they started across the plains. At Leavenworth, Kansas,
they secured the services of three men to assist them on their way to California by
way of the Smoky Hill route. While crossing the plains they learned that the Indians
were troublesome and applied to General Custer for a detail of soldiers to protect them,
but the general said there would be no trouble, and they proceeded on their way alone,
but had gone only a short distance when they were attacked by the red men, who either
killed or captured all their horses. Going to a watering station four miles away Mr. Young
and his party secured a guard of soldiers, but found on their return that the Indians had
burned all they could not carry away, leaving the little party in a very bad plight.
They traveled on, however, from station to station until reaching Denver, Colorado, and
from there proceeded on their journey by stage and rail, at length reaching San Francisco.
While at Denver, Mr. Young was taken ill with mountain fever, and was advised by a
physician to go to the coast if he hoped to recover. When his health was restored he went
to Boston but not long afterward became identified with railroad interests in the middle
west, acting as an auditor with the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad, his head-
quarters being in Burlington, Iowa. He returned to Massachusetts once more in 1872
and became cashier for the Boston Manufacturing Company at Waltham, his employers
being the proprietors of the first complete cotton mill erected in that state. For eighteen
years he continued with that house as cashier and confidential man and at the same time
conducted active business interests on his own account in Waltham, being one of the
organizers of the Waltham Cooperative Bank, of which he became the first secretary and
treasurer. After two years he resigned because the office made too heavy demands upon
his time and later he was made a director of the bank. He also became one of tlie organ-
izers of the electric light company and continued as a director from tlie beginning and
also after its consolidation with the Waltham Gas Light Company. When Waltham
was incorporated as a city in 1884 he was chosen a member of its first board of aldermen
and after filling the position for two years was elected for a three years' term to tlie
sinking fund commission and became its chairman.

Mr. Young's identification with the northwest dated from 1889, in which year he
visited Seattle and became convinced of its opportunities and possibilities. He then
returned to Waltham, disposed of his business connections and became one of the organ-
izers of the New England-Northwestern Investment Company. In January, 1890, he



352 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

returned to Seattle to take up his permanent abode as the western manager for the newly
organized company and in the intervening years to the time of his death he had charge
of the building of many residences and business blocks and of the placing of other paying
investments. His business interests were largely of a character that contributed to public
progress and improvement as well as to individual success. For several years he was
president of the Union Trunk line, one of the principal street railways of the city,
and he held a large amount of stock in the consolidated roads of Seattle. His name
was also on the directorate of the Seattle Electric Company and the Puget Sound Electric
Company, the line connecting Seattle and Tacoma. For a number of years he was the
vice president of the gas company, was a director of the National Bank of Commerce
and was manager of the Pacific coast interests of the Planters Compress Company of
Boston, large manufacturers of presses for baling in round compact bales both cotton
and hay. Mr. Young shipped large quantities of hay baled in that way to the Philippine
islands and to Alaska. Moreover, he and his company became actively connected with
the development of Beacon Hill and of other property holdings in the city. One had
but to meet him to recognize in him a man of marked business enterprise. He was
ready to meet any situation and any emergency and his reserve powers could be called
upon for the solution of difficult problems such as one does not ordinarily meet in busi-
ness life.

Mr. Young was united in marriage to Miss Josephine Richardson, of Belmont. Massa-
chusetts, a daughter of Captain Richard Richardson. Tliey became parents of five chil-
dren, of whom two sons died in infancy, leaving three daughters: Edith R. ; Ethel D.,
the wife of Phillips Morrison: and Josephine, the wife of T. A. Transioli. The family
lived a while in a most attractive home on Beacon Hill, but in 1908 Air. Young built a
handsome home at the corner of North Broadway and Prospect, supplied with all the
adornments and comforts that wealth could secure, but death called the father January
27, 1913, and the mother had passed away in 1904. The family are members of the Epis-



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 42 of 142)