Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 43 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 43 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

copal church. Mr. Young became a Mason in Revere Lodge of Boston, one of the oldest
lodges in the country, and continued in active connection with the craft until his de.ith.
Each step in his business career was a forward one. He was ready to meet changing
conditions and had the ability to coordinate seemingly diverse elements and bring them
into a unified and harmonious whole. The business policy which he pursued measured
up to the highest commercial ethics and standards and he enjoj'ed in the fullest measure
the confidence and good will of colleagues and contemporaries.


Claude G. Bannick, a captain of the Seattle police force, was born August 28, 1876,
in Durant, Cedar county, Iowa, a son of Mathias and Christina (Athert) Bannick. both
of whom were natives of Germany and came to America about 1868. They settled in
Iowa, and their son, Claude G., was graduated from the public schools of Sac City,
that state, in 1894. He afterward completed a course in the Sac City Institute with the
class of 1896 and entered upon his business career as a clerk in a general store. While
still a resident of Iowa he served for two years as a member of the National Guard of
that state and for one year was a member of Company M, Fifty-second Iowa Volunteer
Infantry, during the Spanish-American war.

Captain Bannick has been a resident of the northwest since i8g8 and during most
of the period of his connection with Seattle has been in the public service. He was
appointed through the municipal civil service to the position of patrolman in the Seattle
police department on the gth of September, 1901, and was advanced to the position of
clerk on the 6th of July, r904. He was made an acting detective on the 5th of June, 1906,
and on the i8th of August of that year was advanced to the position of sergeant. On the
22d of June, 1909, he became captain in tlie service and was made acting chief February
II, 191 1, wdiile on the 4th of April of that year he was assigned to the position of chief.
For three years he served in that capacity and then, with the change of political admin-


istration, lie again became a captain of the force on the 15th of March, 1914. One of the
local papers paid merited tribute to his ability, efficiency and fidelity in the following:

"In several ways Chief Bannick lias liecn the most unusual man ever at the head of
the Seattle police department. His youth, liis honesty and his devotion to duty have
made his work remarked. In addition to this lie has carried out the plans and promises
of two reform mayors, and has liad occasion to issue more unusual and unpopular orders
than most men who have held that office. Chief Bannick has striven to be a strict disci-
plinarian Military training as a member of M Compain, Fifty-second Iowa

X'oluntecrs. in the Spanish-American war, gave Chief Bannick a martial bearing which
is his most noticeaI)le characteristic. He is ever erect of carriage, quiet and formal, a
man who obeys orders of superiors without question and expects his own to be obeyed

in the same manner An erect, well set up figure in blue he has sat behind

the chief's desk for three years quietly issuing formal orders in an attempt to clean up
and keep clean a city of three hundred thousand people which used to have the reputation
of being a wide-open town. Some of Chief Bannick's ideas about reform are interesting.
'It is humaiih' possible to keep a town a closed town,' he said in answer to a question.

■\o doul)t about it at all. It is possible Init A chief of police is only fighting the

people's battle. He can fight no harder than the people want to fight. He cannot go to
the people and try to persuade them them are making mistakes in doing this or that. When
the people begin to handicap him in the fight either by indifference or design, he can
only do the best possible under the handicap. The great trouble is just this — the vicious
element is fighting all the time. It is the business of this element to fight, for its liveli-
hood is dependent upon the struggle. The decent element, the folk who want a clean
town, fight spasmodically. They must be wrought up Iiy a long train of abuses. \\'hen
these abuses have been temporarily righted they go about their business and forget the
fight.' During his two terms of office Chief Bannick made many attempts to keep up
the interest of those who wanted to see Seattle 'kept clean.' He fought the present cafe
ordinance for the reason that it handicapped the department in its fight for public morality.
He fought often to head off insidious attacks against his much discussed and much
hated 'purity squad.' This 'purity squad' Chief Bannick maintains was the only weapon
available by which to secure evidence in tlie long procession of court prosecutions used
to keep Seattle closed. He maintains, too, that it is the most effective check a reform

chief can have against the possibility of graft in his department 'I am satisfied

of several important points,' said Chief Bannick the other day, discussing his work.
'I will turn over to my successor a police force clean of graft, efficient and disciplined.
The town has been cleaned up and, despite many handicaps, kept pretty clean. It is
deplorable that the position of chief of police is a political appointment, for it means the
disruption of the force before each election. The police have no business in politics.
The sooner that condition is remedied, the better.'

"Chief of Police Bannick will become Captain Bannick tomorrow and the change
will not be particularly easy for him. He will stay on the force because, as he himself
says, he needs a job, and he has a wife and two children to support. He leaves the
office of chief of police richer by nothing except the difference between a chief's and a
captain's salary. There are some men on the force who will take particular pleasure
in seeing the chief step down. He has made many enemies and few friends. Those who
have known him for a number of years agree on one thing: He will always be a valuable
man to the police department.

"Mayor Cotterill yesterday accepted Chief of Police Bannick's resignation, tendered
a week ago, to be effective at midnight tonight. In his letter of acceptance to the chief
Mayor Cotterill lauds that official's work of the past three years, under Mayor Dilling's
and his own administrations. 'Vou made good during the year of Mayor Dilling's admin-
istration,' the letter reads. 'I felt it a public duty to reappoint you, and I have not had
cause to regret that action. It was natural and expected that vicious individuals and
interests in all their various "business," social and political, should retaliate with all the
forms of abuse and falsehood. I desire to express my special gratitude that throughout
these two years, in a cosmopolitan seaport city with from two hundred and seventy-five
thousand to three hundred thousand population, you have so directed our department of


public safety that no human life has been lost or seriously injured by any act of disorder
or breach of the public peace. You have preserved throughout that endowment of clean
manhood, strong determination, clear conviction of duty and amply demonstrated moral
courage with whicli you undertook the task three years ago. The energy of youth has
been tempered by the wisdom of experience. You come out of the crucible in which the
office of chief of police has ever been thoroughly tested and tried, with even your enemies
acknowledging that greatest of all traits— sterling honesty. Whatever the future may
bring, neither you nor the people of Seattle will ever have cause to regret your three
years' service. That period will be memorable as the basis of comparison for police admin-
istration hereafter. It has fixed certain moral standards in law enforcement from which
Seattle will not lapse or recede, but which will serve as a foundation for higher standards
and accomplishments.' "

On the l6th of November, 1910, in the Churcli of Our Lady of Good Help, Captain
Bannick was married to Miss Mary Elsie Shull, a daughter of Orlando Shull, and they
have two sons: John H., in his third year; and C. George, in his first year. Captain Ban-
nick belongs to the Police Relief Association, of which he served as a trustee in 1910.
He also has membership with Camp George H. Fortson, No. 2, Spanish War Veterans,
with the Chamber of Commerce, the Commercial Club, the Municipal League and the
Seattle .'Athletic Club. He has studied questions aiTecting the municipal welfare as well
as those more directly affecting the police department and is competent to speak with
authority upon many problems that figure prominently in relation to the welfare of a city.
He has seen life at its worst and at its best and his ideas of reform are practical, being
the logical deductions of experience in handling the criminal classes.


Captani Simon Peter Randolph was one of the pioneer settlers of the northwest and
related many interesting incidents of the early days. Now that he is no longer able to tell
the story, for death has called him, it is fitting that his memory should be perpetuated as
one who contributed to early progress and improvement here. At the same time it is meet
that mention be made of his widow, who is now living in Seattle and who was his com-
panion and helpmate through all the days when the hardships and trials of frontier life were
to be met as well as through the later days of prosperity when kindlier circumstances made
life easier. Captain Randolph was born in Logan county, Illinois, January 10, 1835, a son
of Brooks Randolph, who was a farmer and "circuit rider" Methodist Episcopal minister.
He belonged to a well known old Virginia family but in pioneer times removed westward
to Illinois, settling in Logan county about the time of the Black Hawk war, the family
experiencing all of the hardships, privations and trials of pioneer life.

Amid such conditions and surroundings Captain Randolph was reared and on the 30th
of January, 1856, he married Catherine Breckenridge, of Springfield, Illinois, a daughter
of Hon. Preston Breckenridge. He was a Kentuckian and was related to the Breckenridge
family prominent in that state. In 1834 he and his wife, Catherine, and four sons— Alex-
ander, Hugh, Cornelius and Joseph Breckenridge — removed to Illinois, establishing their
home in Sangamon county, and there he brought up his family of eight sons and five
daughters. His homestead was situated near the south fork of the Sangamon river. He
became a very prominent man in his community and was chosen to represent his district
in the state legislature. It is a matter of history that he defeated Abraham Lincoln in the
convention for the nomination to the general assembly. Not only did he engage in farming
but also operated a lumber and flour mill with water power from the south fork of the

It was his daughter Catherine who became the wife of Captain Simon P. Randolph.
She has the distinction of being one of the children who in 1847 signed the pledge prepared
by Abraham Lincoln, which reads as follows : "Whereas, the use of intoxicating liquors
as a beverage is productive of pauperism, degradation and crime, and believing it is our
duty to discourage that which produces more evil than good, we therefore pledge ourselves




to abstain from the use of intoxicating liquors as a beverage." Although she is seventy-
seven years of age, she clearly recalls incidents of her girlhood when she pursued her
education in one of the little old time log schoolhouses near her father's farm in Sangamon
county, Illinois. She vi-as but nine years of age when she signed the Lincoln pledge on a
Sunday afternoon at a meeting which was held in the schoolhouse yard and which was
addressed by the young Illinois lawyer wlio afterward became the president of the United

For a few months after their marriage Captain and Mrs. Randolph remained residents
of Illinois but in 1856 removed to Council Bluffs, Iowa, and in the fall of that year took up
a preemption claim in Sarpy county, Nebraska, in the Platte River valley, about twenty-
hve miles from Omaha. Following the discovery of gold near Pike's Peak, Colorado, in
1859 Captain Randolph went to Denver and then proceeded to the mountains and followed
mining. In the spring his wife went out with a brother's family and joined him. They
went to the valley for the winter, fifty-two miles below Denver, where they kept the station
for the overland express company, running between Leavenworth and Denver. In the
spring they returned to Pleasant Valley, Russels Gulch, near Gregory, and there remained
for about two years, during which period their son Brooks was born. Captain Randolph
was there engaged in placer mining and afterward removed to Twin Lakes, near Leadville,
where he erected and conducted a storage and commission house, that being as far as
teams could go, the next range of mountains being very steep and difficult to cross.
X. Beedler carried the freight from there on with his pack train of Mexican donkeys.
About two years were also spent by the family at that place. During her experience upon
the western frontier Mrs. Randolph many times furnished meals for prospectors who had
lost their way or were blinded by the snow of the mountains. They dwelt in the moun-
tains of Colorado until 1862, when, on account of the Indian outbreaks, they returned to
Nebraska, where Captain Randolph enlisted in Company D of the Second Nebraska Cavalry.
He served the time of his enlistment, received an honorable discharge and was receiving a
pension at the time of his death. In 1864, following the excitement attendant upon gold
discoveries in Idaho, they went to that district and again lived among the mountains, while
Captain Randolph followed quartz mining as a business. In the winter of 1864-5, when
the deep snow cut off communication with the valley, the mining camp became nearly des-
titute for want of provisions. Mrs. Randolph divided their last four pounds of flour with a
neighbor. At last, no help coming, at night when the crust of the snow froze sufficiently
to bear a man's weight. Captain Randolph, who was the only man willing to take the venture,
went on snowshoes, drawing a little sled, in search of needed supplies, traveling twenty-five
or thirty miles. The trip was a difficult and arduous one but he returned in safety, the
sled laden with provisions.

In 1865 Captain and Mrs. Randolph with their family went to L'matilla, Oregon, where
they remained until the fall of 1868, and while there Captain Randolph assisted in the con-
struction of a steamer and took it down the Columbia river to Portland over the Dalles
Falls, a very dangerous undertaking, as there had been but one steamer taken over The
Dalles before. Rumors that the Xorthern Pacific Railroad terminus would be located at
Seattle decided Captain Randolph to come to this city, it being his belief that it would be
a better place to locate. He arrived in the fall of 1868 and was joined by Mrs. Randolph
and the children in the spring of 1869. At first he was engaged in transporting coal for
the Lake Washington Coal Company from Newcastle to Seattle on the scow Good Templar,
which was propelled by poles. He later built the steamer Fannie, finding the Good Templar
too heavy for the trade, and afterwards used barges for carrying coal. In 1870 he owned
and navigated the first steamer on Lake Washington, which was named Fannie and which
he used in transporting coal from Newcastle to the portage on the lake, and he was proud
of the fact that he blew the first steamboat whistle heard on Lake Washington. He after-
ward built the steamer Comet, which his wife named. He always superintended and assisted
in building his boats. He ran the Comet on the Duwamish and White rivers for several
years, carrying passengers and freight to and from Seattle, and many of the old farmers
will remember Captain Randolph and the Comet. His business, however, required a larger
steamer and he built the Edith R., with which he navigated the Snohomish and Nooksack
rivers, carrying freight and passengers between Whatcom and Lynden. After practically

Vol. Ill— 16


retiring, he was engaged by Elisha Alvord, one of the White River farmers, now engaged
in -mining talc on the Upper Skagit, in carrying talc from the mines to Rockport. where he
connected witli the railroads. He built the boat Tolo for Mr. Alvord and took it up to the
mines about 1905, Mrs. Randolph accompanying him on the trip. Owing to the lateness of
the season, they encountered many obstacles on account of low water but finally reached
their destination.

To Captain and ^frs. Randolph were born seven children, four of whom died in infancy
or early childhood. Of those who reached adult age, Preston Brooks was born in Gilpin
county, Colorado, in 1860 and is a resident of Seattle'. He married Agnes Delphine Monroe
and they have five children, namely: Ethel Agnes. Kendall Brooks, Elsie May, Arlhur
Monroe and Preston Breckenridge ; and one grandchild. Louise Higbee. The daughter
May, born in Umatilla, Oregon, in 1866, became the wife of A. Robinson, a real estate
dealer of Seattle. She has since passed away, leaving a son, Walter Randolph. Tlie other-
daughter, Edith, born in Seattle in 1870, is the wife of .\. C. Warner, of Seattle, and they
have three children: Alice, Edith Ruth and William Randolph.

There is no phase of pioneer life west of the Mississippi with which Captain and Airs.
Randolph did not become familiar and her stories of the Indians and her experiences of
the frontier while living in the different places of the west and northwest would fill a
volume and prove a most interesting tale. Captain Randolph was a very fine shot with the
rifle and with the revolver and because of his skill in tliis direction he could almost at any
time supply his table with game, it being no unusual thing for him to bring down an antelope
or a deer. Mrs. Randolph belongs to Stevens Relief Corps, and for forty years has been
a devoted member of the Presbyterian church. In early days she was an enthusiastic
worker in the church, when such workers were scarce. Her home, her children, her church
were her chief objects in life, not caring for society. Captain Randolph also held member -
ship in the Presbyterian church, his life conforming to its teachings. He was also a mem-
ber of the Pioneer Association, with which Mrs. Randolph is still identified. His political
allegiance was given to the republican party and he was ever a stalwart champion of its
principles. He passed away in Seattle January 15, igoQ, after passing the seventy-fourth:
milestone on life's journey. There was no feature of the city's growth and development
with which he was not acquainted, for he came here in the period of Seattle's villagehood
and lived to see the hills which border the lake and sound covered by coinfortable, attractive
homes, connected by wide streets and broad boulevards, while the business section has also
expanded, covering a wide area. It is long since he blew the first steamboat whistle on
Lake Washington, and conditions have greatly changed. Mrs. Randolph in recounting
reminiscences of pioneer times in Seattle says, "There is one thing that I think of with
pleasure and I am glad I had a part in it. It is the building of the first railroad into the
city. But that is a story of some length." The memory of these worthy pioneers should
be perpetuated and the story of the part which they took in developing the civilization of;
the northwest should be told again and again by a public grateful to them for their efforts.

CHARLES W. DA\TS, M. D. ; : ,-

Dr. Charles W. Davis, engaged in medical practice in Seattle with offices in the Cobb
building, was born in Nodaway county, Missouri, February 23, i860, a son of Hiram
Addison and Hulda Elizabeth (Glaze) Davis, the former a native of Virginia and the
latter of Missouri. Both have now passed away, the father having died in Seattle
in January, 1912, at the advanced age of eighty-seven years, while the mother's death
occurred in 1866 when she was twenty-three years of age. Dr. Davis has two brothers :
Clark D. and Isaac R. Davis, both born in Nodaway county, Missouri. Isaac R. now
resides in .Andrew county, Missouri, and Clark D. is a resident of Seattle.

Dr. Davis was reared upon a farm in .Andrew county. Missouri, his youthful days
being spent in the usual manner of farm lads who divide their time between the duties
of the schoolroom, the pleasures of the playground and the work of the fields. He con-
tinued at home until he reached the age of seventeen years and then attended the Stewart -


ville College, afterwards entering the Missouri Medical College at St. Louis as he had
determined to inake the practice of medicine his life work. He opened an office in
Barnard. Nodaway county, Missouri, where he remained in active practice for sixteen
years. He then went to New York for postgraduate work and spent seven months in
that way and in attendance at the hospital clinics. On the 4th of March, 1901, he arrived
in Seattle, where he has since practiced, and in the intervening period of fourteen years he
has become well established as one of the able physicians, being accorded a large general
practice in this city. He is also a trustee of tlie University State Bank.

On the 20th of October, 1886, at Nebraska City, Nebraska, Dr. Davis was united in
marriage to Miss Elizabeth Price Reynolds, who was born in Missouri, January i, 1862.
In his political views Dr. Davis is a democrat but has no aspiration for ofhce. He belongs
to the Methodist church and is interested in its work, recognizing his obligations along
the line of moral progress and development as well as in the field of professional service.


Herbert Lawrence Greene arrived in Seattle, December 2^;, 1897, and tangible proof
that he has been quite successful in business is found in his important real estate inter-
ests. Born in Boston, Massachusetts, October 14, 1861, he is the son of Benjamin Franklin
Greene, who was a native of Maine and a representative of an old Massacliusetts family
of English lineage. Benjamin Franklin Greene devoted his life to the profession of
architecture and died in 1894, at the age of si.xty-six years. His wife, who bore the
maiden name of Lucy Caroline Cloudman, was born in Maine and belonged to one of the
oldest families of New Hampshire. She passed away in Seattle -A-pril 16, 1906, at the age
of seventy-three years.

Their only child was Herbert Lawrence Greene, who acquired a public school educa-
tion ^nd afterward graduated from high school. His life work has been along real estate
lines, yet his activities have covered a much larger field. His busy life can best be
described in his own laconic answers to queries put to him.

As a boy he did everything about a sawmill from piling slabs to running the rotary
and played much. Prize orator and essayist in high school. President of the class.
President of the .Mumni Association. Secretary of the school board. Government clerk
interior department. School superintendent. Surveyed and built railroads. .\s an insur-
ance corporation lawyer at Sioux Falls, South Dakota, practiced law for five years and
tried cases in most of the states of the Union. Platted numerous additions, government
lownsites and thousands of acies of acre-tract subdivisions and built wagon roads, l)ridges
and dikes to develop and protect them. Mayor, president board of trustees and comp-
troller as necessity required. Instrumental in formulating financial plans, which saved
one of the largest national building and loan associations in the United States from fail-
ure in 1893, when like institutions throughout the country were falling by the lumdrcds.
For fourteen years a delegate to every state republican convention in South Dakota and
for years president of the South Dakota State Republican League. Formed a Republican
Club, with a membership of fifteen hundred Sioux Indians and today is a Sioux Indian
by adoption. One of the founders of the Sunset and the German Philosophical Clubs.
Representative Commercial Club of Sioux Falls in New England, procuring industries
for his home city. President of the school board, Sioux Falls. Managed two United
States senatorial and three state treasurer campaigns — all successful. Was thoroughly

Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 43 of 142)