Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 44 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 44 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


whipped in a congressional convention fight and retaliated by stampeding the convention
for a farmer picked at random from the crowd. Business manager Sioux Falls Daily
Press two years. Representative of seventeen counties in Iowa in fight liefore interior
department for swamp land allowances. President Coast Line Transportation Company.
Manager H. E. Orr Company and E. F. James & Company, real estate firms in Seattle.
Is recognized authority on values in the city of Seattle and throughout the state of
Washington and appraises for the city of Seattle, park board, port commission, Dublic
service commission and the United States government.



362 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

When asked as to the extent o£ his financial success, he stated that he did not expect
to go hungry. He has been quite successful in his undertakings here, has negotiated
many important realty transfers and is now the owner of valuable real estate in the city,

Mr. Greene is a very prominent figure in Masonic circles, belonging to all the different
bodies of Masonry save the consistory, still retaining his membership at Sioux Falls.
South Dakota. He was eminent commander of the Knights Templar commandery at
Sioux Falls and did the work incidental to that position of honor and responsibility for
five years. He was the first chancellor commander of the Knights of Pythias lodge
at Sioux Falls. He belongs to the Seattle Athletic Club, the Seattle Yacht Club and gives
his political allegiance to the republican party. He is equally interested in civic affairs
and indorses most heartily all plans which are made to advance the standards of civic
life and make the city of his residence a better place in which to live. His business
career has been one of steady progress. He gives much credit to his thorough home
training but individual effort has brought him to his present acknowledged position
among the successful real estate dealers of Seattle.



MORRIS A. ARNOLD.



Concentration of purpose, well defined and carefully executed plans and a creditable
ambition have brought Morris A. Arnold to a central place on the stage of banking activity
in the northwest. Practically throughout his entire life he has been connected with bank-
ing institutions and inherited tendency and early environment as well as natural predilec-
tion may have had something to do with his choice of a life work, for his father, R. R.
Arnold, was for forty years president of the First National Bank of Mexico, Missouri, so
that the son was "to the manner born." His mother in her maidenhood was Ophelia Eliza-
beth Morris. The maternal grandfather. Judge John Bingle Morris, settled in Mexico,
Missouri, in 1832 and built the first residence and store building in that town. He conducted
the first mercantile enterprise there, was the first postmaster, and the first judge of the
county court. He was a personal friend of Judge Moss, father of Mrs. Morris A. Arnold,
and they practiced in adjoining counties. Judge Moss was circuit attorney and on horse-
back made the trips to the courts in surrounding counties. Becoming a resident of Mexico,
Judge John B. Morris spent the remainder of his days there. He had a large family, many
of whom are still living in Mexico and its vicinity. An old illustration in possession of Mr.
Arnold shows a monument erected to the memory of Judge Morris which bears the inscrip-
tion : "This unique monument in memory of John B. Morris, former district judge, post-
master and county clerk, who built the first residence and business building in Mexico
in 1836."

Morris A. Arnold was born at Mexico, Missouri, May i, 1866, and supplemented the
public school education acquired in his native city by a course in the Missouri State Uni-
versity. He then made his initial step in the business world in 1888 as an employe in the
First National Bank of Mexico, after which he went to St. Louis and accepted the position
of bookkeeper in the Third National Bank of that city. He started upon an independent
career by establishing the Farmers & Merchants Bank at Centralia, Missouri, of which he
was cashier until April, 1897, when he resigned to accept the proffered office of state bank
examiner of Missouri. During his occupancy of that office he made examination of all the
trust companies, which were at that time the largest institutions of the character in the
state. He retired from the position of bank examiner after a four years' incumbency and
removed to Montana, where he was largely interested in banking, land, cattle and other
business enterprises.

Mr. Arnold's identification with Seattle dates from July i. 1907, when he became presi-
dent of the First National Bank of this city and his high standing in banking circles is
indicated in the fact that in August, 1908, he was elected to the presidency of the Clearing
House Association. He is a director of the Fisher Flouring Mills Company of Seattle,
a director and vice president of the Hofius Steel & Equipment Company and executor of
the W. D. Hofius estate.




MORRIS A. ARXOLI)



"■•', 'r. '-^



k IN •



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 365

On the nth of October, 1893, Mr. Arnold was married to Miss Georgie Moss, of Paris,
Missouri, a daughter of Judge David Hickman and Melville E. (HoUingsworth) Moss,
the former the president of the National Bank of Paris, Missouri, and both now deceased.
Mr. and Mrs. Arnold became the parents of one son, Lawrence M., who was born Novem-
ber 29, 1894, and is now a student in Cornell University at Ithaca, New York. In club
circles Mr. Arnold is well known, holding membership with the Rainier, Seattle Golf and
University Clubs. While in Montana he was actively connected with St. Luke's Episcopal
church at Billings, being senior warden at one time. He is a man of well balanced capaci-
ties and powers and has made steady advancement since his initial effort was made in tlie
field of business, his labors having found culmination in the development of important
banking interests and in the promotion of large commercial enterprises.



FREDERICK W. ADAMS, M. D.

Dr. Frederick W. Adams, ophtlialmologist, otologist and laryngologist, who in his
practice has specialized along those line's since 1908, was born in London, Ontario, Novem-
ber 20, 1880, and was a pupil in the public and high schools there. He was later graduated
from the Western University of London in 1906, completing a course in medicine, whereby
he qualified for active practice. He has always been a close student of his chosen calling
and has taken postgraduate work in New York and Chicago. He entered upon the prac-
tice of medicine at Port Huron, Michigan, where he remained for two years, and then
after taking postgraduate work came to Seattle in 1908. Here he has specialized in the
treatment of diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat and has won marked success in
that field.

In Seattle, in 1909, Dr. Adams was united in marriage to Miss Alice Loraine Mustard,
a native of Port Huron, Michigan, who is a graduate of tlie New England Conservatory
of Music at Boston and a prominent figure in musical circles of Seattle. She belongs
to the Musical Arts Society and to the Ladies Musical Club and is also a member of the
Century Club and the Alpha Chi Omega, a national college sorority.

Dr. Adams has purchased a splendidly located lot in Laurelhurst and is now erecting
thereon a beautiful residence. He and his wife belong to the First Presbyterian church
and they are prominent in the social circles of the city. His political allegiance is given
to the republican party, and fraternally he is connected with Elks Lodge No. 92 of Seattle.
His attention, however, is chiefly given to his professional interests and duties and he
belongs to the King County Medical Society, the Washington State Medical Society, the
American Medical Association, the Puget Sound Academy of Ophthalmology and Oto-
Laryngology and the Pacific Coast Oto-Laryngological Society. He is likewise a fellow
of the American College of Surgeons and in his connection with these different organi-
zations keeps in touch with the most advanced scientific thought of the profession.



VICK S. McGRAW.



Among the well known builders of Seattle was Vick S. McGraw, who erected many
fine residences here and became a most active factor in building operations. He was
born in Delavan, Wisconsin, April i, 1849, and his life record covered the intervening
years to August 10, 1902, when he passed away. In early life he learned the carpenter's
and blacksmith's trades and became one of the best blacksmiths in his section. He
remained in Wisconsin throughout the period of his boyhood and youth but went as a
young man to Colorado, where he established his home ere its admission to statehood.
He resided in Colorado until i88r, when he again turned his face westward, believing
that he might have still better opportunities in the Pacific northwest. On the 25th of
May of that year he arrived in Seattle and worked for Henry Gormley as a carpenter
and later accepted the position of foreman with S. E. Clow, having charge of all of



366 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

his building operations for thirteen years. He did much of the finishing work in
banks and other places where superior workmanship was required and he worked for
an entire year on the finishing of the first Denny Hotel. He was an e.xpert in that line
and his services were regarded as most valuable by those who employed him. Later he
became a contractor on his own account and such was the reputation that he had estab-
lished that he had no difficulty in winning patronage. He. built many residences which
are models of architectural beauty and convenience. He lived at Third and Pike streets
for many years, but for twenty years the famil}- residence has been maintained at No. 320
West Republican street.

In Delavan, Wisconsin, on December 10, 1868, Mr. McGraw was united in marriage
to Miss Mary Smith, who was born in the state of New York. They became the parents
of two children : Edith, now Mrs. George F. Green, of San Francisco ; and A. Henry,
a traveling salesman, who was born in Seattle. The mother of Mrs. McGraw, Mrs. Susan
Parker, has made her home in Seattle with her daughter for twenty-one years and has
attained the very venerable age of ninety years.

In his political views Mr. McGraw was a republican, stanchly advocating the prin-
ciples of the party but not seeking office. He was a public-spirited man, however, and
rejoiced in what was accomplished as Seattle grew'and developed and took on the indica-
tions of a model city. Both Mr. and Mrs. McGraw saw pioneer life in Colorado and
Washington. They came to thoroughly know and love the northwest with its excellent
climate and splendid opportimities and in Seattle they gained many warm friends, so
that when Mr. McGraw was called to his final rest his death was the occasion of deep
and widespread regret. ' ■



CHARLES T. CORBIN.



Charles T. Corbin. who since the 1st of January. 1912, has been general manager,
in the state of Washington, for the firm of the Bush & Lan? Piano Company of Chicago,
thus controlling one of the finest wholesale and retail music houses in the northwest,
now ranks with the representative business men who have made the city a great com-
mercial center.

He was born in Adams county, Ohio, September i, 1873, a son of A. J. Corbin, who
removed with his family from the Buckeye state to Morris county, Kansas. There the son
attended the public schools, and afterward became a high school pupil in Emporia, Kansas,
thus pursuing his studies to the age of sixteen, when he went east, determined to learn
the piano business, entering as an employe the manufacturing branch of that business.
He there thoroughly acquainted himself with the manufacturing and with the tuning
of pianos and qualified for the line of business in which he has since engaged.

At the age of twenty-four he made his way to the coast country with San Francisco
as his destination and there engaged in piano tuning. He also had a shop for repairing
and rebuilding pianos, and conducted the business until . 1908, when he went to Bellingham,
Washington, where he opened a piano store, which he conducted until 1910. He then
came to Seattle as sales manager for the Kohler & Chase Piano Store, and in 1912
accepted the position as general manager in the state of Washington for the Bush &
Lane Piano Company of Chicago, having charge of the entire state, with headquarters at
Seattle.

The Seattle branch of their business was cstaVilished in June, 1909, at Sixth and
Union streets, but soon afterward removed to No. 1315 Third avenue, then removed to
their present quarters at No. 1519 Third avenue, where they have the most beautiful
store of the kind in the city, from which they are doing an extensive wholesale and retail
piano business. Their complete line of high grade pianos and player pianos are the
products of the factories of the Bush & Lane Piano Company of Chicago, Illinois, and
Holland, Michigan. On the floors of this ideal store are also to be found all the leading
makes of talking machines and records. They occupy two floors and basement, and
their store is, in every way, most attractive. They also have houses and agencies in dif-



HISTORY OF SEATTLE K4J67

fercnn parts of the state of Washington, the business is one. of growing proportions
and its success is attributahle to the wise direction and capable management of Mr. Corbin.

In Portland, Oregon, Mr. Corbin was united in marriage to Miss Edyth F. Shale,
by whom he has three children, namely: Edyth Geraldine, Charles Termaine and Gale
Hanford.

Mr. Corbin l.)elongs to the Woodmen of the World and to the Commercial Club,
the latter affiliation indicating his interest in the city's substantial development, upbuilding
and improvement. He has made a creditable record in business, his course being marked
by a steady progression that has brought him to an enviable position in commercial circles.



HIR.AM C. GILL.



Hiram C. Gill, mayor of Seattle, to which position lie was elected in 1914, was born
in Watertown, Wisconsin, August 23, 1866, a son of Charles R. and Martha Ada Gill.
The father, who in days of peace devoted his time to the practice of law, became colonel
of the Twenty-ninth Wisconsin Volunteers in the Civil war. He afterward served as
attorney general of Wisconsin and was appointed commissioner of pensions by President
Grant but served only a short time, when he was compelled to resign because of ill
health and passed away in the year 1883.

Hiram C. Gill siient two years as a student in tlie collegiate department of the Uni-
versity of Wisconsin and devoted two years to the study of law in the law department
of that institution, being graduated therefrom with the class of 1889. While in, high
school he studied stenography and paid his way through law school by filling a position
as stenographer while pursuing his law course. The year 1889 witnessed his arrival in
Seattle, and in order to tide over the period in which he was attempting to secure a
stenographic position, he served as waiter in a water front restaurant. Later, however,
lie was employed as stenographer for the firm of Rochester, Lewis & Gilman. entering
their employ on the 24th of August, 1889. He worked for three years and at the end
of that time engaged in law practice, making steady advancement in the profession.

On the i6th of June, 1896, Mr. Gill was united in marriage to Miss Maude M. Kcene
and to them have been born two sous: Stanley H., fifteen years of age; and Marshall W.,
thirteen. In 1893 Mr. Gill joined the National Guard of Washington and was thus con-
nected witli the military service of the state for eight years. In politics he has always
been a stalwart republican. In 1896. he was elected councilman from the tliird ward but
did not hold the office, as the freeholders' charter was adopted at the same election,
abolishing the office. In 1898 he was elected councilman again and in 1900. when a candi-
date for the office, was defeated by Alpheus Byers because of a forced i)urchase of Wood-
land Park. In 1902 he was reelected and at each consecutive election was returned to
the office until 1910, when he was chosen mayor. He served as president of the council
for three years. In 1912 he was again a candidate but was defeated, and in ,1914. he was
once more the standard bearer of the party, which marched to victory, so that Mr. Gill
is now the chief executive of the city. He is attempting to give to Seattle a business-
like administration. His long experience as c-ouucilman has made him thoroughly familiar
with municipal work and business and all the diflferent phases of city government. He is
therefore well qualified to direct the destinies of the city and is seeking its substantial
improvement along various lines.



WILLIAM BENNETT HENDERSON.



William Bennett Henderson, commercial agent for the United States department of

commerce at Seattle, was born July 8, 1869, near Princeton, Caldwell county, Kentucky, a

son of Thomas Edrington and Florence (Gray) Henderson. In the .paternal line the

-family comes from Scotch ancestry, representatives of the name leaving, the, land of hills



368 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

and heather in the early part of the eighteenth century to become residents of the new
world. Subsequently a removal was made to Kentucky, where they were active in estab-
lishing what is known in history as the Transylvania colony. His grandfather, Thomas
Edrington, lived to the notable old age of one hundred and five years. His ancestors in
the maternal line came from Ireland and included the Gra}% Prince. Black, Barnes and
Leech families, who were among the leaders in the settlement of western Kentucky.
Thomas Edrington Henderson was the third in a family of twelve children and through-
out his active business life followed the occupation of farming but at the time of the
Civil war put aside personal interests to serve with the Tliird Kentucky Cavalry in the
Union army. His wife, Florence Gray, was the eldest daughter of William Gray, one of
the founders of Princeton, Kentucky, and was a near relative of the famous George O.
Barnes, an evangelist of note.

William Bennett Henderson acquired his early education in the public schools of
Kentucky and Illinois, after which he attended Princeton College, from which he was
graduated with the Bachelor of Arts degree in 1891. He won his LL. B. degree upon
graduation from Cumberland University at Lebanon, Tennessee, in 1893 and in 1905
received from George Washington University of Washington, D. C, the degree of LL. M.
He also studied French and Spanish in the Berlitz School at Washington, D. C, in 1904-5,
and thus broad general culture as well as specific knowledge along professional lines quali-
fied him for his chosen life work. In the meantime he had taken up the profession of
teaching in Kentucky in 1893 and followed it until 1895, after which he edited a newspaper
at Princeton, Kentucky, until 1899. At the same time he engaged in the practice of law
and since May 24, 1900, has been in the employ of the United States government. He was
on active duty in Washington, D. C, until January i, 1914, at which date he was trans-
ferred to the Pacific coast and has here since remained. His connection with the govern-
ment service covers fifteen years and previously he had been a prominent political leader
in Kentucky, where he upheld the principles of the democracy and represented his district
in the state legislature from 1898 until 1900. During that period he served on si.x
important committees and was prominently mentioned for speaker of the Kentucky legis-
lature in 1909. In the latter part of that year he was closely associated with William
Goebel, J. C. W. Beckman and Ollie M. James in shaping the political history of the state.
He was also city judge of Princeton, Kentucky, in 1907 and 1908.

On the 28th of November, 1912, in Washington, D. C, Mr. Henderson was joined
in wedlock to Miss Margaret M. Mullen, daughter of Daniel T. Mullen, an inventor.
Mr. Mullen and A. L. Barbour invented and patented the famous Barbour paving material
used in the streets of Washington, D. C. To Mr. and Mrs. Henderson have been born
two children: Joseph, who died in infancy; and Margaret Gray, who was born in Seattle,
July 31, 1915.

In his fraternal connections Mr. Henderson is a Mason but has never been active
in the work of the craft, although he adheres loyally to its principles and purposes. He
has gained a wide and favorable acquaintance during the period of his residence on the
coast and the value of his service as commercial agent for the United States department
of commerce is widely recognized here as well as in Washington.



ZEPHANIAH B. RAWSON.

In the history of the bar of Seattle the name of Zephaniah B. Rawson appears in
prominent connections, for he has long practiced at the bar of this city and his ability
has placed him in rank among the foremost representatives of the legal fraternity in the
northwest. The width of the continent separates him from his birthplace. He was born
in Paris, Maine, in 1858, and is a representative of one of the old colonial families, the
line being traced back to Edward Rawson, a native of England, who made the voyage
across the Atlantic in one of the old-time sailing vessels in the year 1636. He was a man
of prominence and influence in his community and for thirty-six years, from 1650 until
1686, was secretary of the Massachusetts colony. He was also one of the founders of




ZF.PHAXIAH B, RAWSOX






,V<h^ \






HISTORY OF SEATTLE 371

tlie Old South church of Boston and bore an important part in the establishment of the
policy of the colony in the early days. The family is one well known and honored in
England to this day and its members yet hold high offices in the navy, while one is a
member of the house of lords. At the time of the Revolutionary war the branch of the
'family that had been founded in this country was represented by soldiers who loyally
defended the interests of the colonists and won independence for the nation. Since then
the name has become inseparably interwoven with important events in the history of both
New England and the central states. On the military record, too, the name of Rawson
figures prominently and honorably and it has become a synonym for progressive citizenship.

Frank M. Rawson, the father of Z. B. Rawson, was born in Paris, Maine, and
devoted his life to general farming, thus providing for the support of his family. He
held membership in the Methodist church and guided his actions by its teachings, his
course at all times measuring up to the high standards of the church. He passed away
when his son was six years of age. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Vesta A.
Whitman, is still living and resides with her son, Zephaniah B.

Zephaniah B. Rawson remained at home until he readied the age of twelve years
and supplemented his early educational training by a preparatory course in the Maine
Wcsleyan Seminary at Kent's Hill. He was ambitious to acquire a good education and
earned his own way through school from the time that he reached the age of thirteen.
He made the most excellent use of his opportunities and his talents and in his studies
advanced rapidly, recognizing, as few boys do, the value of education as a preparation
for life's practical and responsible duties. In the face of conditions which would have
utt-crly discouraged a youth of less resolute purpose and lofty ideals he pushed forward
and after acquiring a good classical education entered upon the study of law with Judge
Enoch Foster, of the supreme court of Maine, as his preceptor. Later he supplemented
Iiis preliminary reading by study in the Columbian University at Washington, D. C, and
was graduated therefrom as a member of the class of 1888.

Mr. Rawson located for practice in Maine, but, wishing to try the opportunities which
he believed existed in the far west, he left the Pine Tree state in 1889 and started for
Washington. He had heard very favorable reports concerning Tacoma and visited that
city as well as Seattle, but, believing that the latter had better chances, he decided to
locate here and has never had occasion to regret the step which he thus took. He was
not long in winning for himself a most creditable position at the bar. He entered into
practice as a member of the firm of Lovejoy & Rawson and after a year withdrew from
that connection and for two years practiced as a partner of Mr. Waller. Since that time
he has been alone and, speaking of his professional career, a contemporary writer has said:



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 44 of 142)