Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 48 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 48 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

of age. He was a saddler by trade and won substantial success along that line of business,
but at the time of the Civil war he put aside all business and personal considerations and
offered his services to the government, becoming a member of Company E, Eighth Wis-
consin Infantry, in which he served as a private throughout the entire period of hostilities.
He died in 1892. His wife was a native of Wisconsin and her father was one of the old
pioneers of that state. By her marriage she became the mother of five children.

Dr. Lenz, the fourth in order of birth, pursued a public and high-school education at
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, where he also attended Stolls College, from which he was graduated
with the class of 1900. He then entered the medical department of Washington University
at St. Louis and won his professional degree upon graduation with the class of 1904. He
received appointment as interne in the City Hospital of St. Louis, where he remained for
a year, and in 1906 removed to the northwest, since which time he has been a resident of
Seattle and has engaged in general practice here, winning notable success through the
recognition of his ability. Together with Dr. R. J. James he specializes in X-ray work
and surgery, in both of which lines he is extremely proficient. He has the latest appliances
to conduct X-ray work, recently investing over three thousand dollars in equipment for
that department of his practice. Both the public and profession recognize his ability and
he enjoys the high regard and confidence of contemporaries and colleagues. The major
part of his attention is given to his professional duties and his close application and increas-
ing ability, for power grows through the exercise of effort, have gained for him a place
of precedence among the younger practitioners of medicine and surgery in Seattle. He
is a jnember of the alumni associations of the medical department of Washington LTniversity
and of the St. Louis City Hospital.


Among those who have been called from life but who in former years were active
in bringing about the growth and development of Seattle is numbered Thomas A. Garrett,
who arrived in this city in December, 1S89, having removed to the northwest from Monroe,
Louisiana. It was in that town that he was born on the i6th of April, 1853. His parents
were Isaiah and Louisa Melissa (Grayson) Garrett. The father, who was born in Vir-
ginia in 1812, removed to Louisiana in early life and became a very prominent and dis-


tinguished lawyer of that state. He was also the owner of large plantations and many
slaves and there he reared his family, including Thomas A. Garrett.

The last named passed his boyhood and youth in the south. He was graduated from
the \'irginia Military Institute and he also studied at the Gottingen University at Gottingen,
Germany. After completing his more specifically classical course he took up the study of
law under the direction of his father and was admitted to the bar about the time he attained
his majority. He then located for practice in his native city and he won notable success
as one of the younger representatives of the profession there. He was a member of the
Louisiana state legislature and was elected judge of the parish. He continued an active
member of the Louisiana bar until 1889, when he removed to Seattle. Here he at once
entered upon the active work of his profession. It was not long before his ability was
recognized here and an extensive clientage of an important character was accorded him.
It was seen that he was most thorough and painstaking in the preparation of his cases
and in the presentation of a cause was logical, strong in argument and convincing in his

reasoning. .

In 1876 Mr. Garrett was united in marriage at Vienna, Louisiana, to ^liss Jessie Simon-
ton, a native of Louisiana and a daughter of Dr. Augustus Chamberlain Simonton, who
was born in North Carolina and served as a surgeon in the Civil war. He was an able
representative of his profession and long remained active in practice. Mr. and Mrs.
Garrett became the parents of six children, of whom five are living: Edward Isaiah, who
is now president of the Puget Sound Machinery Depot; Ethel G., the wife of John \V.
Eddy, of Seattle; Jessamine, at home; Thomas Simonton, who is secretary and treasurer
of the Puget Sound Machinery Depot ; and Stuart Grayson, who is a student in the Univer-
sity of Virginia.

The family circle was broken by the hand of death when, on the 19th of January, 1898,
Mr. Garrett passed awav. He was a devoted and loving father, a faithful friend and a
loyal citizen. In a word, his characteristics were such as any might well emulate. He
possessed a studious nature, kept in touch with the trend of modern thoughtand as the
years passed he left the impress of his individuality for good upon the community in which
he lived. He attended the Episcopal church and guided his life by its teachings. He was
found ready to meet any unusual difficulty or emergency, for he had developed his powers
and was well poised, a man of sound judgment and of clear insight.


For twenty-two years Henry William Moulton has occupied the same location in con-
nection with the conduct of the business now carried on under the name of the Moulton
Printing Company. He is numbered among those who, attracted by the business opportuni-
ties offered in the United States where competition is greater but where advancement is
more quickly secured, have crossed the border and have become connected with American
commercial or industrial interests.

Mr. Moulton was born at Almonte, Ontario, Canada, in 1873, a son of William and
Eliza Moulton, the former a builder. His education was continued in the Almonte high
school until his graduation, and for six years during the initial period of his business career
he was connected with the drug trade, having served an apprenticeship under Robert T.
Shaw, a druggist of Almonte. After passing the required examinations he went to Winni-
peg where he was employed by Dawson, Bole & Company, wholesale druggists, for several
months In June, 1890, he came to Seattle and was associated with the Bartell Drug Com-
pany for three and one-half years, when ill health forced him to leave that business In
1894 he was active in the establishment of the printing plant of Newman & Moulton, look-
ing after the outside work, and in 1896 he purchased Mr. Newman's interest, since which
time he has conducted the business alone, or with the assistance of his brother Frank, under
the style of the Moulton Printing Company, occupying the same location for twenty-two
years. The business has enjoyed a substantial, healthful growth and the patronage now
accorded the house makes the enterprise a profitable one. Mr. Moulton has always been


interested in everything connected with tliis Hne and has done active work for the benefit
of trade conditions. He has several times been elected to the presidency of the Seattle
Division of the United Typothetae of America, which he represented at the conventions
at New Orleans, New York and Los Angeles. He is also the vice president of the Pacific
Coast Employing Printers Association.

On the 3d of September, 1895, in Seattle, Mr. I\Ioulton was married to Miss Adelaide
Von Volkenburgh, who died June 6, 1904. She was a daughter of Benjamin and Annie
Von Volkenburgh, of Victoria, British Columbia, and her father was a pioneer business
man of Cariboo and Victoria. Mr. Moulton has a son, Morris Edmund. The religious
faith of the family is that of the Episcopal church, while the political belief of Mr. Moulton,
the result of his close study of conditions and questions of the day, is that of the repub-
lican party. At the present time he is president of the Rotarj' Club, which has a member-
ship of three hundred, representing many diversified lines of business, and he is also
a member of the Arctic Club. On account of his long residence in Seattle, few men have
a more extensive acquaintanceship or a greater circle of friends.


Walter Winston Williams, who passed away in Seattle on the ist of March, 1915, had
been a resident of the city for more than a quarter of a century. He was well known as
a leader in musical circles here and his business connection was that of secretary of the
Hofius Steel & Equipment Company. His birth occurred in Swansea, Wales, on the 29th
of April, 1850, and when nineteen years of age he removed to Workington, England. The
following is an e.xcerpt from an English paper published at the time of his demise. "Old
Workingtonians and musicians throughout West Cumberland will learn with regret that
Mr. Walter Winston Williams, the renowned conductor of the defunct Workington Vocal
Union, is dead. . . . The deceased came to Workington with the late Ivander Griffiths,
who was at the head of the Barepot contingent, and rendered great service to Mr. Griffiths
in the furtherance of the Eisteddfod cause. As time wore on and the exceptional musical
knowledge and technique of Mr. Williams revealed itself he attracted towards him the
whole of the singing talent in Workington and district. He was also a notable bass singer
himself. When the Workington Vocal Union was formed the deceased with their com-
mon accord, was elected conductor. The Union soon leaped into local fame and popularity
by the inspiration of his leadership and among their triumphs were the rendering of 'The
Messiah,' 'Judas Maccabeus,' 'Elijah' and 'Israel in Egypt.' As a musical town which then
reached its zenith Mr. Walter Williams was the pivot on which all revolved. He com-
bined all the choirs and musicians of the town and district irrespective of denomination,
and his departure to the United States with Mr. Peter Kirk proved to all an irreparable
loss. They could not unite on any successor then and no one has since worn his inusical
mantle. The deceased at the period he left Workington was the secretary of the Moss Bay
Company. He was an excellent business man and popular amongst all classes of the com-
munity. The wife of the deceased was the sister of Mr. Herbert Swinburne and a daugh-
ter of a well known Workingtonian."

In 1888 Mr. Williams emigrated to the United States and came direct to Seattle, here
spending the remainder of his life. In association with Leigh Hunt and Peter Kirk, he
founded the town of Kirkland on Lake Washington. For a number of years he was
engaged in commercial pursuits and later became connected with the Hofius Steel & Equip-
ment Company, serving as its secretary until his death. He was also a director of the Pacific
Warehouse Company, which erected the Maritime building and the Produce building. It
was in musical circles, however, that he gained his greatest prominence, organizing a brass
band in England that played in various cities and won numerous prizes. He also organized
a male choir and a mixed choir of two hundred and fifty voices in England and con-
ducted the Seattle Male Voice Choir, which he had organized.

Mr. Williams was joined in wedlock in Workington, England, to Miss Mary Swin-
burne, a native of that country, by whom he had nine children, who still survive him, as





follows : W. Mervj'n, a resident of Olympia ; Mrs. Douglas Ross, of Pittsburgh, Pennsyl-
vania : and Aubrey S., Eldred V., Marian S., Eleanor A., Stanley E., Juanita C. and Herbert
W. Williams, all of Seattle.

Mr. Williams died at his home at No. 1427 Thirty-tifth avenue, Seattle, March i, 1915,
from an attack of heart failure, following his attendance at the Welsh concert held at
Douglas Hall, Tentli avenue and Pine street. His demise was the occasion of deep and
widespread regret, for he liad gained an extensive circle of warm friends in the city and
especially among the Welsh. In early manhood Mr. Williams was a member of the Welsh
church but after his marriage joined the Episcopal church. He gave his political allegiance
to the republican party and was a worthy exemplar of the Masonic fraternity. Mrs. Will-
iams, who survives him, is well known and highly esteemed in the city where she has now
resided for a period of tv/enty-seven years.


Calvin Springer Hall, a w-ell known and successful attorney of Seattle, has contin-
uously practiced his profession in this city for the past fifteen years and has been accorded
a gratifying clientage. His birth occurred in Downs, McLean county, Illinois, on the 28th
of February, 1872, and his early life was spent on a farm. He began his education in the
district schools and subsequently pursued a course of study in the Illinois Wesleyan Univer-
sity of Bloomington, while later he retnoved to Chicago and attended the Chicago College
of Law until graduated from that institution. In the fall of iScjg he came to Seattle, read
law and took the state bar examination and was admitted to practice in October, iQoo.
Here he has followed liis profession continuously since, having built up an extensive and
lucrative clientage.

On the 31st of December, IQOO, Mr. Hall was united in marriage to Miss Dovre P.
Johnson, who was born in San Francisco, California, but has been a resident of Seattle
since 1893. They have three sons, namely: Rinaldo, who is thirteen years old; and Carroll
and Calvin Springer, Jr., wdio are eleven and six years of age respectively.

Mr. Hall has always supported the men and measures of the democracy and has ever
taken an active interest in the work of that party. He is identified fraternally with the
Arcana Lodge of Masons and also belongs to the Arctic Club and the Seattle Bar Asso-
ciation. Possessing a logical and well trained mind and being a thorough and conscientious
student, he is fully alive to the important duties of his profession and is deserving of the
higli cslecin in which he is held by his Icllowmen.


John A. McEachcrn is a contractor, conducting a growing and extensive Inisiness,
having won ])lace among the foremost representatives in his line in Seattle. He is a native
of Greensboro, North Carolina, and a son of Alexander and Janet (McLellan) McEachern,
who were natives of Canada and came to the United States about forty years ago, settling
in North Carolina. They afterward removed to Michigan and a number of years later
became residents of North Dakota, where they resided until 1899, when they came to Seattle,
spending their remaining days in this city.

Their son, John A. McEachern, had but limited educational privile.ges. He attended the
common schools until the age of twelve years and as he expresses it "was graduated from
the school of hard knocks." Experience, however, has been to him a valuable teacher,
making him a well informed man in all those branches which have to do with the practical
workaday Avorld, while his ability has gained him advancement until he now occupies a
most creditable and enviable place as a representative of the industrial activity in the
northwest. He first turned his attention to bridge building and since then has been actively
identified with building operations of various characters, progressing step by step until as


a contractor he stands among the most prominent in this part of the country. He knows
every practical and scientific phase of building and experience has taught him how to
solve the most intricate and complex problems connected with his work. The result of
his achievements has been widely noted as is evidenced by the liberal patronage now
accorded him.

On the 19th of June, 1901, Mr. McEachern was united in marriage, in Seattle, to Miss
Estella E. Peas, a daughter of Abraham and Hattie Feas, who were pioneer settlers of
Washington. To Mr. and Mrs. McEachern have been born four children, Gertrude, Marion,
Alex Bruce and John Feas, aged respectively thirteen, eleven, eight and four years.

Mr. McEachern is a republican in his political views but has never been an aspirant
for office. He is a life member of the Elks Lodge, No. 92, of Seattle, and he belongs to
the Commercial Club and the Chamber of Commerce, which indicates his interest in those
affairs which have to do with the city, its improvement and its substantial development.
His life record should serve to inspire and encourage others, showing what may be
accomplished when there is a will to dare and to do. Moreover, his business history also,
proves that success and an honored name may be won simultaneously.


Thomas M. Fisher, government inspector connected with the immigration service at
Seattle, was born in Cheyenne, Wyoming, March 6, 1878, a son of Thomas M. and Bessie
(Wilford) Fisher. His father devoted almost his entire life to public service in either
the military or civil departments and for a considerable period was Chinese inspector and
immigration inspector at the port of Seattle. He was a native of Lancaster county, Penn-
sylvania, born February 9, 1846, a son of General J. W. Fisher, a prominent lawyer, who
became chief justice of the supreme court of Wyoming. He made a most creditable mili-
tary record by service in the Civil war, enlisting at the outbreak of hostilities and going
to the front as captain. Ability and loyalty won him promotion to the rank of colonel
and afterward to brigadier general. He won glory and renown at the battle of Gettysburg
by capturing Little Round Top and thus emblazoned his fame on the pages of history.
As brigadier general he received an honorable discharge at the close of the war and went
to W3'oming, where for many years he occupied a foremost place in the ranks of the
eminent members of the bar of the west. He received appointment to the position of
chief justice of Wyoming and proved himself the peer of the ablest members who have
sat upon the bench. His death occurred in 1901, when he had reached the venerable age
of eighty-six years. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Elizabeth R. Shearer, was a
daughter of Major James Shearer, who won his title in the War of 1812.

Their son, Colonel Thomas M. Fisher, who was one of a family of eight children, was
a j'outh of but fifteen when he enlisted in the Fifth Pennsylvania Infantr}', while later he
became a member of the Second Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers. At the battle of
Gettj'sburg he carried the dispatch concerning the surrender of Round Top across the
field to General Lee and for this act of conspicuous bravery was made a first lieutenant.
At Fredericksburg he was wounded but was off duty for only a few weeks. At the
battle of Ream's Station he was brevetted captain and commander of Company B of the
One Hundred and Ninetieth Pennsylvania from May 30, 1864, until the close of the war,
although he was only eighteen years of age when he took command. He participated in
all the engagements of the Army of the Potomac, including the seven days' battle of the
Wilderness, Mechanicsville, Gaines' Mills, Malvern Hill, the second battle of Bull Run,
Falksburg, Gettysburg, the Wilderness campaign and the siege of Petersburg, up to the
battle of Ream's Station, August 25, 1864, when the regiment was captured. He was
afterward incarcerated at Petersburg, Libbj' prison, Dansville and Salisbury, and on the
22d of February, 1865, was paroled.

Shortly after the close of the war he was made lieutenant of the Twenty-third Infan-
try in the regular army and served throughout the Indian campaign under General Crook
in Oregon and California. In 1872 he resigned and went to Wyoming, where he resided


until 1880, engaged in the practice of law. He had studied law while in tlie army, was
admitted to the bar in Wyoming and there continued in practice until 1880, when he removed
to Colorado and was city attorney at Silver Cliff in 1882. He joined the state militia there
and became a captain in the Colorado National Guard. He also became an aide on the
staff of Governor Routte, with the rank of colonel. After three years he removed to
Cheyenne. Wyoming, where he practiced law with success until i8go, during which time he
was commander of the department of the Grand Army of the Republic for Wyoming and
Colorado. He then went to Washington, D. C, where he held various positions in the
interior department until 1891, when he was appointed inspector of immigration and assigned
to duty in the Seattle district, serving until the latter part of 1893, when he went out with
the administration. In 1896 he was elected prosecuting attorney of Jefferson county and
discharged his duties so acceptably that in 1898 he was reelected without opposition, receiv-
ing practically all the votes of the county, only three being cast against him. In 1896 he
was appointed to the position of Chinese inspector and in 1901 the office was transferred
to the bureau of immigration, with office in Seattle. In politics he was always a republican.
In Pennsylvania he married Bessie Wilford and they had four children. Following the
death of his first wife, Colonel Fisher wedded Rosella F. Plummer, at Port Townsend.
He was long a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity and of the Grand Army of the
Republic, serving as commander of his post at Port Townsend, and for five years in
Cheyenne. He was also state counselor for Washington in the Junior Order of American
Mechanics. Of him a contemporary biographer has said: "In whatever relation of life
we find him — in the government service, in political circles, in military life, in professional
or social relations — he is always the same honored and honorable gentleman, whose worth
well merits the high regard which is uniformly given him."

Thomas M. Fisher attended the public schools of Cheyenne to tlie age of fourteen
years and then accompanied his parents to Port Townsend, Wasliington, where he con-
tinued his education, passing through consecutive grades to the high school. When nine-
teen years of age he started out in the world on his own account and was employed in
various capacities until 1900, when he came to Seattle, after which he solicited advertising
for a year. Subsequently he filled the position of shipping clerk with the firm of Spelver
& Hulbert for a year and then became shipping clerk with the MacDougall & Southwick
Dry Goods Company, which he thus represented until 1902. In that year he entered public
service in connection with the United States customs, spending a year in the appraiser's
store room, after which he became inspector in the immigration service. From 1908 until
1913 he made a study of prosecuting white slave cases for the government. Since then
he has largely handled criminal cases and in these connections has rendered valuable
service to his country in apprehending those who break the nation's laws.

Mr. Fisher was married in Seattle, January 20, 1902, to Miss Daisy West, and they
now have a son, Thomas M., three and a half years of age. Mr. Fisher has always given
liis political allegiance to the republican party, never wavering in his support of its prm-
ciples. He belongs to the Ancient Order of United Workmen and to the Methodist church
and in those associations are found the rules which govern his conduct and shape his
relations with his fellowmen. He has been a close student of many of the vital problems
which the country faces and is thoroughly conversant with conditions which bear upon tlie
great economic, sociological and political issues of the day.


M. D. Haire, Pacific coast manager for Wickes Brothers and the Wickes Boiler Com-
pany of Saginaw, Michigan, has his offices in the White building. He was born at Williams-
ton,' Michigan, September 24. 187S. a son of H. and Eva B. (Baker) Haire, the former a
native of Michigan and the latter of New York. The father was a builder and contractor
in his native state and at the present time is living retired in Seattle.

M D Haire was the eldest in a family of three children and acquired his early
education in the schools of Michigan, completing a public-school course and afterward


attending the State University at Ann Arbor, where he pursued a course in engineering.
Later he accepted a position with the Pere Marquette Railroad Company and in that con-
nection was promoted to the position of trainmaster, in which capacity he continued for
about three years. Ill health caused him to resign, however, in 1905, at which time he
sought the benefits of a change in climate and came to Seattle. In 1905 he accepted a
position with the Wickes Brothers as sales agent on the Pacific coast and in 1909 was

Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 48 of 142)