Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 49 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 49 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


promoted to the position of Pacific coast manager of the Wickes Boiler Company. He
has since filled this position of responsibility and has conducted a gratifying and growing
business since assuming charge. These companies manufacture and sell to the trade sawmill
machinery, boilers, engines, dredges and plate working tools and their business covers
all the states and territory west of the Rocky mountains and also extends to Alaska and
the Orient. The business has increased steadily from the beginning of Mr. Haire's connec-
tion therewith. The company is well known, having been in existence for sixty-six years.
Mr. Haire has been connected with this company for a decade, a fact which is evidence
of his ability and trustworthiness. He is now controlling a trade of large and gratifying
proportions and has the entire confidence and goodwill of the companies which he represents.

In 1898 occurred the marriage of Mr. Haire and Miss Minnie B. Reed, of Cleveland,
Ohio, a daughter of Henry W. Reed, who is now living retired at North Adams, Michigan.
Mr. Haire was called vipon to mourn the loss of his w-ife in July, 1914. Their only
child, Thayl, sixteen years of age, is now a student in the Moran scliool at Rolling Bay,
Washington.

Mr. Haire is widely and favorably known in various connections. He is now the
president of the Metropolitan Lumbermen's Club of Seattle, a member of the Masonic
lodge, the Rotary and Engineers' Clubs and the Universal Craftsman Society of Engi-
neers, also of Seattle. In politics lie is a republican, supporting the men and measures
of the party where national issues are involved but casting an independent local ballot.
He belongs to the Episcopal church and is a cooperant factor in many plans for promoting
the public welfare along material, intellectual, social, political and moral lines. During the
period of his residence in the northwest he has gained many acquaintances and by far
the great majority of these are his friends.



JOHN D. THOMAS. . '

John D. Thomas spent the later years of his life in Seattle. He was born in Wales
iu 1831, a son of John and Ann (Davis) Thomas, who were likewise natives of that country,
the father's birth having occurred in 1700, while the mother was born in 1803. John D.
Thomas spent the years of his' boyhood and youth in Wales and acquired his education in
its schools. On the 15th of April, 1S82, he was united in marriage to ]\Iiss Mattie A. Doe,
their wedding being celebrated in California. They became the parents of three children.
Ethel M. married R. C. Ross and died in 191 1, leaving one child, Kathleen. The second
member of the family, John D., is a resident of Seattle, but the eldest, Anna, died in infancy.

After coming to this country Mr. Thomas traveled to a considerable extent, visiting
various places, remaining for a longer or shorter period as he deemed it wise and expedient.
Finally he settled in Butte, Montana, where he engaged in the wholesale and retail grocery
business, becoming one of the early and successful merchants of that place. He built
one of the first brick blocks in Butte and later when he wished to leave that place he reor-
ganized the business with a stock company. The enterprise proved a marked success, being
carefully directed and managed by Mr. Thomas. In i8qo, however, he left Montana and
came to Seattle, where he continued to reside until called to his final rest April 16, 1898.
He had been to this state previous to that time and had purchased property on Fourth and
Pike streets. His brother Lewis also came to Seattle and Mr. Thomas erected a store
building and ordered a stock of goods in order to establish his brother in the grocery
business. But Lewis Thomas died before the opening of the store, so that John D. Thomas
disposed of the stock of goods, not caring himself to assume the burdens and responsibili-
ties of merchandising. He did not wish to engage in business here but dealt to some extent




JOHN D. THOMAS




ETHEL M. ROSS



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 409

in real estate. He went to Victoria, British Columbia, and purchased one acre of land on
what is now Dallas road but did not find that as attractive a place of residence as Seattle,
so he returned to this city. His widow, however, still owns some property on Dallas road.
Mr. Thomas believed in Seattle and its possibilities of development and in fact was a most
public-spirited man, always doing what he could to further the welfare of his adopted city.
In religious belief Mr. Thomas was an Episcopalian, holding membership in St. Mark's
church. In Masonry he attained high rank, having reached the thirty-second degree of the
Scottisli Rite. Everywhere he was spoken of in terms of kindness and respect. His life
proved the truth of the Emersonian philosophy that the way to win a friend is to be one.
He had many sterling traits of character, was a devoted husband and father and held friend-
.ship inviolable. He neglected none of the duties of life and improved his opportunities
and at all times manifested those traits of kindliness, goodwill and helpfulness which are
considered the graces of character.



UNIVERSITY STATE BANK.

Tlic district immediately surrounding the University of Washington is fortunate in
that, in addition to being blessed with citizens of refinement and culture, good schools,
churches and libraries, it has a home bank whose officers have the interest of tlie people at
heart — the University State Bank, a bank built on honor.

When this beautiful residence section began to grow into a substantial little city the
need for a home bank became imperative, a bank that would render the residents efficient
service in llnancial affairs and would be within easy reaching distance, saving time, which
often means money. To this end in 1906 a mass meeting of the citizens resulted in the
founding of the University State Bank with twenty-five thousand dollars capitalization, a
bank "owned by the people of this district and conducted in their best interests," with forty-
eight shareholders comprising local business men, university men and residents subscribing
stock. It opened in August, 1906, with J. B. Gibbons as cashier and Watson Allen as presi-
dent. From the beginning the directors have always exercised proper supervision.

In November, 1906, Harry B. Lear, the present manager, came from an eastern
bank to act as assistant cashier. E. O. Eastwood, the vice president, is a meinber of the
university faculty, of its clubs and fraternities. Mr. Eastwood is a graduate of the Uni-
versity of Virginia and of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. So rapid was the
growth of 'the bank that it had to seek new quarters the next year, and in 1912 the magnifi-
cent bank building now occupied was erected, as finely built and equipped as any bank-
in the northwest. It is a handsome white landmark, standing as it does on the corner
of Fourteenth avenue, N. E., and East Forty-fifth street. It is two stories high, constructed
of fireproof concrete and steel, the exterior being white terra cotta, while the interior is in
mahogany and old Mexican onyx. The handsome entrances are of iron and wainscoted
with craft marble. Modern office rooms and a magnificent ballroom occupy the second floor.
All materials were purchased in Seattle and as far as possible in the University district.

The first year fifty-two thousand dollars were deposited, its strength and financial
standing being shown by the five-hundred thousand dollars on deposit today. Over three
thousand satisfied patrons allude to it as "my bank."

The oflicers are: G. W. Lear, president; E. O. Eastwood, vice president; Harry B.
Lear, cashier; and W. W. Jones, assistant cashier. The directors are G. W. Lear, E. O.
Eastwood, G. W. Davis, A. P. Malloy. Charles Cowcn, Harry B. Lear and W. C. Bayles.
Messrs. Eastwood and Davis have Ijecn with the bank since it opened and Harry B. Lear
also, with the exception of the first four months. It has a loan department whicli keeps in
touch with even the smallest borrower and both the small borrower and small depositor
receive the same consideration as the man of large affairs.

The safe deposit department is thoroughly equipped from the boxes to the private booths

and special attention is given the savings department, where accounts are opened from one

dollar up. Many women and children have accounts and hundreds of handsome home

banks are loaned free to customers. All kinds of commercial banking is carried on, while

\.,l III-: s



410 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

the exchange department is worldwide. In fact the University State Bank is a community
bank, personally interested in each and every customer and willing always to give each
one careful assistance and attention.



FRANTZ H. COE, M. D.



There has been no physician of Seattle who has striven more earnestly and effectively
to uphold the high standards of the medical profession than did Dr. Frantz H. Coe. In
his practice he adhered to the highest professional ethics and endeavored ever to make
the work of the medical fraternity of the greatest value and believed that the most
thorough preparation should be made and the most conscientious service given to the public.
In a word, he was an ideal physician and his name is honored by all who knew him. He
was born in St. Charles, Illinois, November 25, 1856, and there resided to the age of ten
years. In both the paternal and maternal lines he was descended from Puritan ancestry
from New England, where the family was established in 1634. In 1866 his parents removed
to Beloit, Wisconsin, and when Dr. Frantz H. Coe was sixteen years of age he went to
Ann Arbor, Michigan, where in the fall of 1872 he entered the junior class of the high
school. He afterward pursued a course of study in the State University in that city and was
graduated therefrom in 1879 when twenty-three years of age. He then entered upon the
profession of teaching, accepting the position of principal of the public schools at Phoenix,
Michigan. It was during the following summer that he was united in marriage to Miss
Carrie Everett, of Chelsea, Michigan, after which he returned to Phoenix, where the suc-
ceeding two years were devoted to educational work. In 1882 he became a resident of
Menominee, Michigan, and remained as principal of the schools of that city until 1884.

During the last three years of his college course Dr. Coe devoted his time largely to
subjects which would prepare him for the study of medicine, for it was his purpose to
become a representative of the medical profession. While he was teaching he never lost
sight of this purpose and in the fall of 1884 matriculated in the medical department of the
State University of Michigan and won his degree on the completion of the regular four
years' course in 1888. During one year of that time he was assistant demonstrator of
anatomy and during another year assisted Dr. Frothingham, professor of ophthalmology, so
that he gained broad practical experience. During several summers he attended to the
practice of different physicians in Michigan and following his graduation he started for the
west on a prospecting tour, believing that he would find better opportunities in that growing
section of the country. After visiting friends in Denver he proceeded to Salt Lake City
and thence came to Seattle by way of San Francisco and Portland, arriving in the sum-
mer of that }-ear. Pleased with the future prospects of this city, he sent for his family to
join him and secured office rooms with Dr. Weed, one of the oldest physicians of Seattle.
His office was destroyed by fire during the following year, as were the offices of the other
practitioners here. It was Dr. Coe's purpose to make a specialty of the treatment of dis-
eases of the eye, ear, nose and throat, but after a few years he abandoned this for general
practice and became one of the most successful physicians of the city. During 1895 he
spent seven months in the east in further study, pursuing special courses both at Ann
Arbor and Detroit. He always remained a close student of his profession, making in-
vestigations along the lines of modern thought and research and thus keeping abreast with
the best thinking' men of the age. He continued in active practice throughout his remaining
days, save during the winter of 1898-99, when an acute attack of nephritis forced him
to abandon practice for seven months, a part of which time he spent in California. The
greater part of his life, however, was devoted to his chosen calling, of which he was a
most faithful follower. There was no one who held to higher professional standards.
He believed that its representatives should be men of strong intellectuality, of consecrated
purpose, ready to sacrifice their personal interests and comfort to the needs of their patients.
Twice he was appointed by the governor to a position on the medical examining board
of the state. He felt that Washington should maintain the highest standards and that it
should exact from its physicians a service in harmony with the most advanced ideals. He



HISTORY OF SEATTLE ' 411

keeps in touch with those truths which are brought to light through scientific investigation
and research and all who knew him appreciated his fidelity and ability.

In his home Dr. Coe was a devoted husband and father. To him and his wife were
born three children: Herbert E., who is now a practicing physician of Seattle; Harry L,,
an efficiency engineer of Boston; and a daughter, Frantzel, at home. Dr. Coe ever held
friendship inviolable an# true worth could always win his regard. While his professional
duties made heavy demands upon his time and attention, he, nevertheless, found oppor-
tunity to aid in public affairs. He served for two terms as a director of the Seattle public
schools and in that capacity was of great service in advancing the schools to a high
plane of efficiency. He had great faith in Seattle and co-operated earnestly and heartily
in every movement for the general good. He belonged to the Seattle Athletic Club, to the
Masonic fraternity and to the Baptist church. In his story of the Choir Invisible, James
Lane Allen expressed an ideal of manhood in these words : "First of all a man should be a
man with all the grace and vigor of the body; secondly he should be a man with all
the grace and vigor and strength of the intellect ; and thirdly, no matter what his creeds,
his superstition, his dogma or his religion, he should try to live the beautiful life of
the spirit." Dr. Coe was largely an exemplification of this. He recognized the oppor-
tunities of life and its obligations and endeavored at all times to make the world happier
and better for his having lived. He passed away July i6, 1904. and the deepest
regret was felt on every hand. Being a natural leader among men, he had the ability to
accomplish much for the benefit of his fellow citizens. He had not yet completed a half
century when he was called from the labors of this life and yet his career was one fruitful
of good results for the benefit of many, and high on the roll among the most distinguished
physicians who have practiced in Seattle is found his name.



W. DWIGHT AIEAD.



W. Dwight Mead, of Seattle, general agent for Washington of the Pacific Mutual
Life Insurance Company of California, was born in Greene county, New York, June 2,
1881, his birthplace being Potic Place, the ancestral home of his grandfather. He spent
his youthful davs in the home of his parents, Frank F. and Mary Thomas (Earle) Mead.
He "attended tlie public schools, passing through consecutive grades until he became a
pupil in the West Side high school of Denver, Colorado, and afterward entered the Sacred
Heart College of that city. His initial step in the business world was made as society
editor of the Denver Republican, in which connection his record was a brilliant one. Later
he went to Washington, D. C, where he acted as social secretary for Mrs. Blount, the
noted society leader and philanthropist. While with her some great work was accomplished ;
the uplifting of the negroes ; the widening of the alleys in the poor quarters of the city ;
and the alleviation of suffering among the white classes, with aid for them along the
hit'her lines. These, with many other radical departures from the stereotyped philanthropic
work of those who desire to aid suffering humanity marked Mr. Mead's tenure of office.
Feeling the need for individual effort in his life work, Mr. Mead accepted an invitation
to take up insurance work in Washington, D. C, and entered upon what was to be his hfe
vocation in ipo^. Seeing its great importance in the scheme of human existence, he studied
and thoroughly mastered all the intricacies of insurance and after looking about for a city
which he considered the most promising for a home, he began his business career in Seattle
on January 16 1910. He became associated with the Pacific Mutual Life Insurance Com-
pany of California, which was organized in 1868, and of which Leland Stanford was the
first president. It is the largest life insurance company west of the Mississippi "ver and
the nineteenth largest in the world, having assets of thirty-five million dollars. Mr. Mead
is now the general agent of the state of Washington and has made himself a power in
insurance circles. He has always been active in general insurance affairs. He organized
the Northwest Insurance Congress, which met in Seattle June ist and 2d, 1913^ In 1912 he
was elected secretary of the Puget Sound Life Underwriters Association under General I. A.
Neadeau, and in 1913 was made first vice president under Mr. Neadeau, whom he sue-



412 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

ceeded to the presidency in 1914. He was also the first vice president of the Nortliwest
Insurance Congress and in 1912 he was elected a member of the executive committee of
the National Association of Life Underwriters, to serve for three years. In September,
igiS, he was elected chairman of the press committee of the National Association of Life
Underwriters, to serve one year. He has very fine offices at No. SS7 Stewart building
and is regarded as one of the foremost representatives of insurante interests in the north-
west.

In Washington, D. C, on the 23d of April, 1905. Mr. Mead was united in marriage to
Miss Mary Virginia O'Connor, a daughter of I. Richard and Louise Virginia (Sherman)
O'Connor. They have one child, a son, Earle Francis, aged nine years.

Mr. Mead is a member of the famous Chevy Chase Club of Maryland, the Union Club
of Tacoma, the Earlington Golf and Country Club, the University of Washington Golf
Club, the Seattle Tennis Club, the Seattle Yacht Club, the Seattle Press Club, the National
Press Club of Washington, D. C, the Fine Arts Club of Seattle, the Chamber of Com-
merce and the Commercial Club. He is also a member of St. Mark's, the leading Episcopal
church of Seattle, and his political allegiance is given tlie republican party. He is one
of the best known and best informed of the patrons of the fine arts in Seattle and anything
along that line has his hearty personal and financial support. He materially aided the
Seattle Symphony and Seattle Philharmonic Societies to put music on its proper level in
Seattle and he has stood some severe monetary losses in making good guarantees to bring
famous artists here. He meets these losses, however, without a murmur, seeking always
for the advancement of the city along every line of art. He is working earnestly now to
tlie end that Seattle may some time have an established symphony society.' Artistic to his
finger tips, temperamental in the extreme, Mr. Mead is a thorough lover of music and other
arts. Whenever a representative of any of the lines of real art wants aid and influence
he invariably seeks Mr. Mead and his recognition of true worth and ability is seen in
liearty co-operation for the benefit of the applicant. He feels the thrill of joy which
results from intellectual stimulus, and a broad humanitarian spirit reaching out to all
mankind prompts him to effective work toward bringing within the reach of all the same
keen enjoyment which comes to him as he stands before a lieautiful painting, sees a magnifi-
cent statue or listens to an exquisite harmony.



JOHN T. CASEY.



John T. Casey, a member of the Seattle bar, was born in Pierce county. Wisconsin.
His parents were Bernard J. and Ellen Elizabeth (Murphy) Casey, both of whom came
from Ireland in the '50s, when still quite young. They were married in Boston, Massa-
chusetts, on the 6th of October, 1863, and became the parents of sixteen children, of whom
ten sons and four daughters are still living. They celebrated their golden wedding in
Seattle, October 6, 1913, when a solemn nuptial high mass at the Immaculate Conception
church was said by three of their own sons, who are Catholic priests and brothers of
John T. Casey.

John T. Casey attended the coiumon schools and the law department of the University
of \\'isconsin, winning the LL. B. degree on the 24th of June. 1896. In early manhood he
engaged in bookkeeping and school teaching but since preparing for the bar has concen-
trated his energies upon his professional activities. Removing to the west, he served in
the prosecuting attorney's office in Deer Lodge county, Montana, from 1899 tmtil 1901, when
he removed to Seattle and has won a creditable position in professional circles. He was
nominated for superior court judge in the direct primaries in 1910 and again in 1912 but
being a democrat was not elected. He is strongly imbued with the idea of curbing the
encroachment of luonopoly on the rights of the people in whatever form it tuay appear
and believes every effort must be made to banish the evil influences of special privilege
from legislation and especially from the courts, where poor people having rights to be
adjudicated should receive equally fair treatment with the strong and powerful. In a




lOlIX T CASEY



HISTORY OF SEATTLE . 415

word, he holds to higli standards of citizensliip and of civic lionor and has made his own
life conform with his higli ideals.

Mr. Casey is a widower, having lost his young wife in 1908. He has a little daughter,
Mary Helena, now ten years of age. He was chief ranger in the Immaculate Conception
Court, Catholic Order of Foresters, in igii and 1012 and was deputy grand knight of
Seattle Council 676, Knights of Columbus, in 1907. He is also a member of the Ancient
Order of Hibernians and the Seattle Commercial Club, and his interest in citizenship is
such as to insure his active cooperation m many well defined plans and measures for the
public welfare.



FREDERICK A. ERNST.



The life record of Frederick A. Ernst furnislics an excellent illustration of the
power of perseverance and industry in tlie attainment of prosperity, for he is a self-
made man who has worked his way upward unaided in the business world until lie is now
one of the proprietors of one of the largest and most complete and up-to-date hardware
stores in Seattle. His birth occurred in Hamlin, Kansas, on the 7th of September, 1880,
his parents being Charles J. and Martha (Zimmerman) Ernst. He attended the public
schools of Seattle in the acquirement of an education and was obliged to go to work
as soon as his textbooks were laid aside. In 1902 he embarked in the hardware business
in association with his brother, Charles C. Ernst, beginning on a very small scale. As the
years have passed he has labored earnestly and indefatigably to reach the desired goal and
is now the owner of one of the largest and most complete establisliments of its kind in
Seattle. He is very popular with the purchasing public and is widely recognized as a young-
man of splendid business ability and keen discernment — a young man who has attained
his present prosperity without outside assistance af any kind.

On the i6th of June, 1906, at Meadville, Pennsylvania, Mr. Ernst was united in mar-
riage to Miss Jennie Brawley, a representative of an old pioneer family of Seattle. They
have a dau.ghter. Gertrude Eleanor, who is seven years of age.

Politically Mr. Ernst is a stanch and unswerving republican, liut be has not taken
an active part in public affairs, preferring to concentrate his energies upon his business
interests. Fraternally he is identified with the Masons, belonging to the Mystic Shrine,
while his religious faith is indicated by his membership in the First Baptist church. He is
likewise a member of the Rainier Club and in both social and business circles of Seattle
is well and favorablv known.



LESTER TURNER.



Lester Turner, now living retired in Seattle, figured for a long period in banking



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 49 of 142)