Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 50 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 50 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


circles of the west but since selling his interests and retiring from the presidency of the
First National Bank he has not engaged actively in business. He was born in Versailles,
Kentucky. July 23, 1853, a son of Ulysses and Elizabeth (Thornton) Turner. The father
was a prominent member of the bar of Kentucky but both he and his wife are now de-
ceased. The Turner family was early established in the Blue Grass state, for the great-
grandfather crossed the Cumberland mountains and cast in his lot with the pioneers of the
dark and bloody ground, securing there a homestead, which is still in the possession of mem-
bers of the family.

Lester Turner pursued his education in the schools of his native town and w-hen a
youth of sixteen began business life by working in a grocery store, in which he was
employed for two years. .\t the age of eighteen he went to New York city and entered a
broker's office on Wall street, where his adaptability enabled him to rise to the position
of casliier, in which capacity he was serving when the firm failed and his connection of ten
years with tlie house was thus terminated. He then turned his attention to the far west.



416 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

making his way to San Francisco, where he acted as assistant cashier of the Pacific
Bank for five years. On the expiration of that period he came to Seattle and accepted
the cashiership in the First National Bank, in which he was ultimately elected to the
presidency, so continuing to direct the aflairs of the institution until 1907, when he and
his associates sold their interests to M. A. Arnold and his associates. Mr. Turner has
since lived retired from active business. During his banking career he was the close friend
and associate of the late Governor Mc.Graw, who was always a director and a part of the
time vice president of the bank.

Mr. Turner was always a democrat in politics until he cast his first republican vote
for Mr. McGraw for the office of governor of Washington, recognizing fully his superior
qualifications for the chief executive officer of the stale. Since that time he has remained
with the republican party but is not an active worker along political lines.

On the 1st of Jul}', 1S76, Mr. Turner was united in marriage to Miss .'\nna Roe, of Brook-
lyn, New York, and they have two children, Lester and Anna. Mr. Turner is of an ex-
ceptionally retiring disposition but the sterling worth of his character and the high order
of his talents are shown in the warm personal friendship entertained for him by his fellow
members of the Rainier and Seattle Golf and Country Clubs and by others who have come
within the close circle of his acquaintance.



CAPTAIN DAVID H. JARVIS.

Heroic qualities were manifest in Captain David H. Jarvis, who was long identified
with navigation interests in the- northwest and who left the impress of his individuality
for good in marked measure upon the history of Alaska. He became a prominent figure
in afifairs that have had much to do with shaping the annals of the Pacific coast country
and such was his distinguished service that he received the thanks of congress and a gold
medal. His life history if told in detail would present a story more thrilling than any
found on the pages of fiction, matching all such in points of danger and of devotion to duty.

Captain Jarvis was born at Berlin, Worcester county, Maryland, on the 24th of August,
1862. He was twenty-six years of age when in 1888 he was first assigned to service in
Alaskan and Arctic waters. Several years later word was received that six whaling vessels
had been caught in the Arctic ice at Point Barrow and their crews were starving to death.
There was no hope of relief until the ice should break in the spring and by that time the
men would have perished. The government organized a relief expedition and Lieutenant
Jarvis was selected to head it. He left the Sound waters on the 29th of November, 1897.
The Behring sea was closed by the Arctic ice pack so that progress in that direction was
impossible. He proceeded to Cape Vancouver and at that point an overland relief expedi-
tion was planned. A reindeer herd was collected from Cape Prince of Wales and Point
Rodney and driven to Point Barrow, where they could be used for food. The Bear was to
proceed the following summer as soon as the ice broke and bring the needed relief. Captain
Jarvis and his party left Cape Vancouver December 16, 1897, starting on a journey of eighteen
hundred miles across the frozen waste. Every possible precaution was taken to safeguard
the members of the party and yet proceed with the greatest haste to succor those so
greatly in need of relief. They reached their destination on the 2gth of March, 1898, arriv-
ing in time to save the lives of two hundred and seventy-five men. In accordance with the
orders issued by the secretary of the treasury Captain Jarvis assumed command at Point
Barrow and Dr. J. C. Call, the surgeon from the Bear, at once set about caring for the
sick. The men were in bad condition owing to lack of nourishing food. Every possible
aid was given them. Captain Jarvis remained in charge for four months. The Bear arrived
in August and the party were taken to Seattle. The following spring he was given com-
mand of the Bear and went north to pay the natives for the reindeer which they had sold
to the government.

Three years later as special government agent he again won honor by taking charge
at Nome, when in the first mad rush to Alaska for gold a terrific epidemic of smallpox
broke out. He valiantly stood at his post and won fame by his faithful performance of



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 417

duty. Alaiiy a more ambitious man would have grasped the opportunity to gain wealth and
placed himself at the head of an empire then in the building. In February, 1902, by a
special act of congress, he was made collector of customs for Alaska. President Roosevelt,
first attracted to him by his notable bravery, found in him the proper man to invest with
the great responsibility of that office, the duties of which were arduous and ofttimes of a
most delicate nature. It was about that time that the Guggenheims formed an alliance
with J. P. Morgan for the opening of the Alaska copper districts by means of the building
of a great railway. They purchased the properties of the Northwestern Steamship Com-
pany and the Northwestern Fisheries and they needed a man, widely known and trusted
in Alaska in order to carry out their plans, which would result in the development of the
country. President Roosevelt recommended Captain Jarvis, who then resigned his position
as collector and also resigned from the revenue cutter service. After resigning from the
collectorsliip he was twice offered the governorship of Alaska by the president.

Although his life work up to that time had been of a very different character Captain
Jarvis demonstrated that in the intricate field of finance he was able to battle successfully
and bring about desired results. He proved himself born to command — a master of men.
His understanding of Alaska, its conditions and its possibilities enabled him to push for-
ward the interests of the syndicate as perhaps no other man could have done and during
the five years which he spent in that connection he saw. the investment of many millions
of dollars, the building of a great railway, the purchase and operation of a great fleet of
ocean-going vessels and the development of the richest copper mines in the world. He
guided the affairs of the company, managing gigantic moves, undertakings and enterprises
as does the skilled chessman his pawns upon the board. No other name is more closely
associated with the material growth and progress and the utilization of the natural resources
of Alaska than that of Captain Jarvis. In the later years of his life he resigned one after
another of the offices which he held in connection with the syndicate. He had lived to
accomplish a task gigantic in its proportions, stupendous in its results and yet he had not
passed the fiftieth milestone on life's journey when he was called to his final rest on the
23d of June, 191 1.

It was on the 2d of April, 1896, that Captain Jarvis was united in marriage to Miss
Ethel Taber. They had three children, Anna, David H. and William. Captain Jarvis
belonged to the Arctic Club, to the Seattle Athletic Club and to the Golf Club. His inter-
ests kept him much of his time in Seattle as well as in Alaska and the immensity of the
business affairs which he controlled made him widely known throughout the entire north-
west. It was not only that he had charge of the manipulation of gigantic enterprises, how-
ever, that he became so widely known, but also because of the sterling traits of character
which he displayed — the heroism which marked his course in the discharge of his duties
and the loyalty which he displayed when in the government service. He was a man of
marked personal bravery, of undaunted spirit and of high ideals — the most masterful and
most modest of men and one who fully recognized and performed his duties and his obliga-
tions toward his fellows.



JAMES ANDERSON WOOD

James Anderson Wood is a member of the firm of Wood & Reber. condr.cting a gen-
eral advertising business in Seattle and also owning and publishing the Town Crier. He
was born in Portsmouth, Ohio, April 28, 1870. His father, General Oliver Wood, a native
of New York, became a resident of Ohio about 1850 and prior to the Civil war was suc-
cessfully engaged in the lumber business in that state. Following the outbreak of hostili-
ties he became captain of Company B, Twenty-second Ohio Infantry, and served under
General Rosecrans and General Grant. He participated in the battles of Fort Henry and
Fort Donelson and proceeded on to Shiloh. He was also in the Arkansas campaign and
at the close of the war became a colonel of the United States Veteran Volunteers. He
served throughout the entire period of the war, winning distinction and his rank as brigadier
general through his bravery and loyalty and after the close of the contest with the south



418 ■ HISTORY OF SEATTLE

entered the Indian service, being stationed at Quiniault, Washington, in which connection
he liad charge of all the Indians on the coast. Much of his life was thus devoted to the
government service and he passed away at Port Townsend, in 1893, at the age of sixty-
seven years, honored and respected by all who knew him. His political allegiance was
given to the republican party. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Emily Mytinger,
was a native of Ohio and passed away at Port Townsend, in 1904, at the age of seventy-
four years.

James A. Wood was the youngest in a family of five children and attended the public
schools of Portsmouth, Ohio, for about a year. Later, when the family lived on the Indian
reservation, he received private tutoring and instruction from his mother and for a year
was a student in the Bishop Scott Academy at Portland, Oregon. He started out in life
on his own account at the age of twenty-one years and his first position was -that of
deputy in the office of the collector of customs in the government service at Port Town-
send. There he remained one year, during and prior to which time he studied law and
was admitted to practice in the courts of Washington on the lOth of March, 1894. He then
opened an office at Port Townsend and for about three years served as justice of the
peace at that place. In the fall of 1896 he came to Seattle and entered the field of journalism,
becoming connected with the Post-Intelligencer on the reportorial staft'. After four months,
however, he became a reporter on the Spokane Chronicle, with wdiich he was connected
for three years, filling the position of news editor. In 1900 he returned to Seattle and
became assistant city editor of the Post-Intelligencer, remaining with that paper until April,
1904, when he became city editor of the Seattle Times, so continuing until April, 1907, when
he went to the east, spending a year at the Jamestown Exposition at Norfolk, Virginia,
where he represented the Alaska-Yukon Exposition as commissioner general. On his
return to Seattle in 1908 he formed a partnership with E. L. Reber and they established
a general advertising business which they have since conducted, winning a liberal patronage
in that connection. In October of the same year Mr. Wood was appointed a commissioner
of the Exposition and served for a year or until its close. In 1910 the firm purchased the
Town Crier, a weekly publication which they still own and issue.

On the 6th of August, 1912, in Seattle, Washington, Mr. Wood was united in marriage
to Mrs. Tuolumne S. Delaney, her father being George Gooch, a native of Port Townsend,
Washington. By her first marriage Mrs. Wood had three daughters, namely : Kathleen,
Eileen and Margaret. Mr. and Mrs. Wood are members of the Episcopal church and Mr.
Wood belongs also to various fraternal, club and social organizations. He has membership
with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, with the Rainier Club, the Seattle Yacht
Club and the Press Club. He has an interesting military chapter in his life record, cover-
ing five years' service in the National Guard of Washington, and on being mustered out
he was holding the rank of second lieutenant. He belongs to the Military Order of tlie
Loyal Legion and to the Sons of Veterans. He also has membership relations along Imes
which indicate his interest in the welfare and upbuilding of the city, being identified with
the Chamber of Commerce, the Seattle Commercial Club and the Municipal League. He has
belief in Seattle, is enthusiastic in his advocacy of the city and its opportunities and his
work has been an effective force in promoting public progress along many substantial and
valuable lines.



ROBERT BROOKE ALBERTSON.

Law has always been regarded as the conservator of the rights, the liberties and the
privileges of the people and the protector of life, and thus it is that its representatives who
are loyal to the high standards of the profession have ever been accorded high place in
citizenship. Judge Robert Brooke Albertson entered upon practice in Seattle in 1886 and
remained active in the work of the courts as an advocate until February 14, 1903, when he
was appointed to the bench, whereon he has since served, his record reflecting credit and
honor upon the judicial history of King .county. Moreover, he has been active in other
public service and none has ever questioned his devotion to the general good and his
close adherence to the highest standards of citizenship.




ROBERT B. ALBERTSOX



L\X



. ... \



; S- ' *■



HISTORY OF SEATTLE ' 421

Mr. Albertsoii is far separated from the place of his nativity, for he is a native of
Hertford, Perquimans county. North Carolina. He was born December 21, 1859, and traces
his ancestry baclv to a member of the Quaker colony of North Carolina, which, headed
by George Durant, settled there in the latter part of the seventeenth century. Since then
representatives of the name have been worthy residents of North Carolina. Elias Albert-
son, his great-grandfather, filled the office of inspector of revenue for the Albemarle sound
district, having been appointed to that office in 179J, his commission being signed by George
Washington, president, and Thomas Jefferson, secretary of state. This document is now
in possession of Judge Albertson— a most cherished and valued heirloom. The parents of
Judge .\lbertson were Jonathan White and Catherine Fauntleroy (Pescud) Albertson. The
latter belongs to an old Virginia family and was a granddaughter of Peter Francisco, who
was a valiant soldier of the Revolutionary war, some of his notable achievements being
recorded in Lossing's Field Book of the Revolution. Jonathan White .■\lbertson also figured
in public connections in North Carolina both prior and subsequent to the Civil war. He
was a member of the bar and filled the offices of prosecuting attorney. United States attorney
and judge of the superior court. He was also a member of the state legislature and of
the constitutional convention and as lawyer and lawmaker held high rank among the emi-
nent representatives of the profession.

Importunate is the man who has back of him an ancestry honorable and distinguished, and
liappy is he if his lines of life are cast in harmony therewith. Judge Robert B. Albertson
is in person, in talents and in achievements a worthy scion of his race. Liberally educated,
he is numbered among the alumni of the University of North Carolina of the class of
1881. For a year following his graduation he taught school and through that period devoted
the hours which are usually termed leisure to reading law. Subsequently he became a law-
student in the State University and upon examination before the supreme court of North
Carolina was admitted to tlic bar in 1883. Already his attention had been fastened upon
the northwest with its opportunities and in August of that year he came to Seattle, where
he has since remained. Recognizing the fact that it would be impossible for an unknown
young man to at once begin practice and obtain a clientage which would enable him to live.
Judge Albertson sought employment along other lines than his profession and was for a
time in the lumber yard of the Seattle Lumber & Commercial Company, then doing busi-
ness at the foot of Columbia street. He afterward did reportorial work and finally became
assistant editor of tlie Seattle Morning Chronicle, and si.x months later accepted the posi-
tion of law clerk in the office of Burke & Rasin, pending the arrival of L. C. Gilman, who
was later division counsel of the Great Northern Railway at Seattle, and who had pre-
viously arranged to take that position. Later Mr. Albertson became chief clerk in the law
office of Struve, Haines & McMicken, with whom he remained for about two years, when,
feeling that his acquaintance was now broad enough to justify him to embark in practice
on his own account, he opened an office in 1886. Advancement at the bar is proverbially
slow and yet it was not long before Judge Albertson had gained a fair practice, that grew
with the passing years, connecting him more and more largely with the important litigation
heard in the courts of the district. He had long enjoyed a large and distinctively repre-
sentative clientage when, on the 14th of February, 1903, he was appointed to the bench of
King county, the legislature having provided for a fifth judge. On the expiration of his
first term he was nominated and elected and by reelection has been continued upon the
bencli to the present time.

To speak of Judge Albertson only as lawyer and jurist would be to give a one-sided
view of his life and character, for there have been few residents of the northwest who
have entered with more zeal and enthusiasm, intelligently directed, into the movements
and plans for the city's upbuilding and progress. Whenever his aid has been needed
it has been freely given. In the early years of his residence here he joined the Home
Guard, with which he was on active duty during the anti-Chinese riots of February, 1886.
He afterward served for the full term of five years in the territorial and state militia. He
was a member of the volunteer fire department up to the time of the great conflagration
in 1889. Following the Civil war his father and most of his Quaker neighbors in North
Carolina became republicans and he, too, indorses the party and has taken an active and
helpful interest in political work, usually serving as a delegate to the county and state



422 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

conventions until the adoption of the direct primary law. In 1887 he was chairman of the
republican county central committee, in which year King county was carried by his party
for the first time in four years. In 1889 he was elected city attorney of Seattle and his
record in that office is notable. He began and conducted the condemnation proceedings
under which many of the streets were widened after the fire. He instituted the celebrated
Ram's Horn case of the city versus the railroads and drew the contract with Benizette
Williams, which was the beginning of the city's Cedar river gravity water supply system.
In 1894 he was sent from the forty-second district to the state legislature and in August,
1900, while in Alaska, was again nominated and elected. During the session of 1901 he
was speaker of the house and again was chosen speaker for the special session, receiving a
unanimous vote — a most unusual yet highly deserved compliment. It was recognized that
his rulings were strictly fair, unprejudiced and impartial and tangible appreciation of his
service came to him at the close of the term, when he was presented by the members of
the house with a handsome watch and chain and a set of complimentary resolutions. It
is certainly worthy of note that no appeal was ever taken from one of his rulings during
his entire term.

On the 24th of August, 1892, Judge Albertson was married to Miss Nancy de Wolfe,
now deceased, a daughter of Captain F. S. de Wolfe, at one time mayor of Charlotte, North
Carolina. One son, Robert Brooke Albertson, who was born December i, 1907, is the only
child of this marriage. Judge Albertson is a member of the Rainier, University, Athletic
and Golf and Country Clubs. He likewise belongs to the Society of the Sons of the Revo-
lution and has been president of Washington chapter. When not upon the bench he lays
aside the cares and dignities of the office and is a most genial, approachable man, appre-
ciative of friendship and giving true friendship in return. He is loyal to the northwest,
which has given him his opportunitj- — an opportunity, however, which is only of value as it
is wisely improved. Industry, energy and close application are just as essential in the prac-
tice of law as in the trades or mechanical arts and, recognizing this fact at the outset of
his career. Judge Albertson put forth that earnest effort which has brought him to a posi-
tion of distinction among the lawyers and jurists of the northwest.



HOWARD STEPHEN HILL, M. D.

Dr. Howard Stephen Hill, a man of broad experience in- his profession and now suc-
cessfully engaged in practice in Seattle, was born in Eureka, Humboldt county, California,
October 15, 1871. His father, John Hill, a native of New Brunswick, went to California in
1861 by way of the Isthmus of Panama and conducted business for many years as a suc-
cessful agriculturist, his death occurring in Eureka in 191 1, when he had reached the
advanced age of seventy-nine years. He wedded Mary Baldwin, also a native of New
Brunswick, their marriage being celebrated in California. Both went to that state by way
of the Isthmus and the farm upon which they located is today on the boundary line of
Eureka and is a most valuable property. They had a family of four sons and a daughter.

Dr. Hill, the youngest of the five children, attended the country schools of his native
county to the age of twelve years, having to walk two miles to school. His early life was
spent upon the home farm and between the ages of twelve and eighteen he supplemented
Iiis previous school training by study at night, so that at the age of eighteen he was pre-
pared to enter upon the profession of teaching. The second school which he taught was
the first which he ever attended. He was later advanced to the position of vice principal
of the first high school established in Humboldt county and there taught for five years.
During that period he devoted the time that is usually termed leisure to the study of
medicine and also to the study of Latin as an auxiliary branch to his professional training.
At length he entered Toland Medical College of California, now the medical department
of the University of California, and won his professional degree upon graduation with
the class of May, 1898. After completing the course he became assistant to Dr. John W.
Robertson in his private asylum for the care of the insane at Livermore, California, there
remaining for six months. He then came to Seattle in December, 1898. and in the following



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 423

January passed the required state examination and entered upon the active work of the
profession, since which time he has continued in general practice.

On the 4th of March, igoi, in Portland, Oregon, Dr. Hill married Miss Marie
Labarraque, a native of California, and they have one child, Marie Lucille, born May 23,
1904. The family residence is at No. 1127 Thirty-first street. In politics Dr. Hill is a
republican and fraternally he is connected with the Red Men and the Eagles, in both of



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 50 of 142)