Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 51 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 51 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


which organizations he is medical examiner. He has always lived upon the Pacific coast
and the spirit of advancement and progress which has dominated this section of the country
has found expression in his life. The strength of character which he manifested in pre-
paring for medical practice, having to depend entirely upon his own resources for the
funds that enabled him to pursue his college course, has featured in his entire career and
has brought him _to a creditable and enviable place among the members of the profession
in his adopted city.



CAPTAIN JOHN L. ANDERSON.

Captain John L. Anderson, prominently identified with navigation interests in the
northwest for an extended period, was born at Gottenburg, Sweden, on the nth of Novem-
ber, 1868. His father, A. Jacobson, was a seafaring man throughout his entire life and
was connected with the merchant marine service, in which capacity he visited almost every
port of the world. His record on the water was a remarkable one, for during the fifty-two
years which covered his life's span he spent four decades on the high seas.

Captain Anderson is the eldest in a family of four children. After attending the pub-
lic schools to the age of fourteen years he put aside his textbooks and went to sea with
an uncle who operated a fleet of sail boats engaged in transporting lumber and ore. On
his second trip across the Atlantic on a sailing vessel he w-as taken ill and left in a hospital
at Quebec, the boat returning without him. After his recovery he went to Shrieber, Ontario,
where he worked in a hotel for a short time and then entered the employ of the Canadian
Pacific Railroad Company, being superintendent of a gang on the road engaged in painting
cars, switches and stations for some time.

On leaving Canada, Captain Anderson made his way to Seattle, where he arrived in
1 888. Here he secured work as deck hand on boats operating between this city and Alaska,
and when two years had been spent in that way he secured similar employment on the
Puget Sound boats, the Olympian and the Point Arena, thus serving until he became
fireman on the Point Arena, running between Seattle, Juneau and Sitka, Alaska. He
next entered the employ of the Stetson & Post Lumber Company, which he represented
in various capacities for a year, and later was given employment on the C. C. Calkins for
lliree years. This was a new boat, built for lake trips, and he was in command for one
year. Subsequently he became interested in the Winifred, a new boat, of which he became
half owner and which he operated on Lake Washington, making the run between Leschi
Park and Newcastle, the latter a big coal mining town. A charge of fifty cents was made
for the round trip. In 1894 Captain Anderson became the owner of the Quickstep and
when it was destroyed by fire built the Lady of the Lake. He also added to his fleet the
steamer Effort, operated between Bellingham, Point Roberts, Lummi island and Blaine
until 1898, after which it sailed between Olympia, Shelton and Tacoma. He has transferred
more boats from the Sound to Lake Washington by way of the river and from the lake
10 the Sound than any other man. This work demands extreme care and a great amount
of labor, but he has been extremely successful in the undertaking. He built the steamer
Leschi, which he operated between Madison Park and Leschi Park, but at length sold his
boat to the United States government. He afterward built the Acme, which he operated on
the same run, but after three months sold that boat and bought the City of Renton, which
he sold after two weeks. In 1901 he bought the Cyrene and the Elsinore, but after six
months sold the latter and purchased the Xanthus, running both boats until 1914, when
they were dismantled. In 1904 he put on the Mercer and the Ramona and in 1906 built
the Fortuna, which he operated as an excursion boat around Mercer island. In 1907 he



424 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

consolidated his business with that of the B. & T. Transportation Company under the
name of the Anderson Steamboat Company, of which he has since been the president and
manager. Since the organization of the present company they have built the Urania,
Atlanta, Triton and Aquilo. The company also established a shipyard at Houghton on
Lake Washington, where they have built the yacht Rainier and the ferry boat Issaquah,
the latter at a cost of fifty thousand dollars, and having a carrying capacity of forty autos
and six liundred passengers, while for its operation it requires only six employes. In
19:5 the company built the ferry Lincoln for Lake Washington service at cost of one
hundred thousand dollars. On Lake Washington the competition of the municipal ferry is
keenly felt and may succeed in driving the other lines out of business, yet the municipal
ferries are running at a loss each day to the tax payers of Seattle. In 1914 the company
of which Captain Anderson is a member leased a site for a large shipbuilding plant on the
east waterway (Puget Sound) from the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad Com-
pany, since which time they have built the steamer Bainbridge and now have luider con-
struction the United States steel lighthouse tender Rose, at a cost of eighty-seven thousand
nine hundred and fifty dollars for No. 17 lighthouse district of the Oregon and Washington
coast. In December, 1915, Captain Anderson made a trip to San Francisco, where he entered
upon an agreement to construct for one of the biggest concerns of that city two large
motor ships — the first of the kind and size to be built on the Pacific ocean, the design being
original with Captain Anderson. These ships are to have a carrying capacity of two
million, five hundred thousand feet of lumber with a dead weight of thirty-eight hundred
tons capacity. The length is two hundred and seventy feet, the beam seventy-four feet
and the depth twenty-three feet.

In 1895 Captain Anderson was united in marriage to Miss Emilie Matson, a daughter
of Charles Matson, a machinist of this city. She is a native of Meriden, Illinois, and has
been a resident of this locality since 1884. Fraternally Captain Anderson is connected with
the Knights of Pythias and is also a Mason. He likewise belongs to the Chamber of Com-
merce, to the Commercial Club and to the Swedish Business Men's Association, of which
he was one of the organizers. In October, 1901, he made a trip to his old home in Sweden
and spent nearly five months abroad, visiting England, France, Norway, Sweden and
Germany. He went as a passenger on the ship Kaiser Wilhelm Der Grosse and returned
on the American liner St. Paul, and while he greatly enjoyed the trip and his visit to the
home of his boyhood, he could never be content to live elsewhere than in the land of the
free — the home of his adoption.

Captain Anderson's business has ever been of a most important character and with
the marine transportation interests of the northwest he has long been closely associated.
His entire life has been devoted to sailing interests and he has lived to witness most notable
changes in the marine service. He has always kept in touch with the progress of the times,
and in his own business has kept abreast with modern construction and equipment in the
line of boats which he handles.



GOTTWERTH LEBRECHT TANZER.

Gottwerth Lebrecht Tanzer is the central figure on the stage of mining activity in the
northwest, being now the president and general manager of the Western Smelting &
Power Company, and the owner of a controlling interest in the Manhattan Edee Mining
Company of Nevada. Individual ability has brought him to his present position of promi-
nence, liberal education and scientific training qualifying him to assume the important
responsibilities which devolve upon him. He was born at Troebnitz, Sachs, Altenburg,
Germany, June 14, 1863. His father, Wilhelm Franz Tanzer, who died in 1887, was con-
sidered one of the greatest architects. He built several fine churches, schools, monuments
and solid stone bridges over rivers and time has not been able to weaken or destroy these.
He married Wilhelmine Koerner, a daughter of Grottfried Koerner, of Rausdorf, near
Roda, Germany, who was a wealthy landowner.

In the schools of Altenburg and Breslau Gottwerth L. Tanzer pursued his education.




GO'lTWEKTH L. TAXZER






o;i -^^






HISTORY OF SEATTLE 427

liberal advantages beiiijj; afforded him, and after coming to America in 1885 he passed the
examination for pharmacist and chemist before the Illinois state board of pharmacy in
1898. Later he engaged in the drug business and analytical laboratory work until May,
1902, and in 1903 was appointed city chemist of Seattle and special state chemist for the
state of Washington, tlie city laboratory of Seattle being established through his efiforts.
Comprehensive scientific knowledge has enabled him to assume heavy and important respon-
sibilities along those lines and his recognized ability has led to his cooperation being
sought in the conduct of various corporations. In 1908 he was elected president of the
Northern Texada Mines, Ltd., which shipped over sixteen thousand tons of ore to the
smelters during his management. He was also elected president and general manager of
the Western Smelting & Power Company, which has very valuable holdings near Yellow-
stone National Park in Montana. In these he owns a controlling interest as he also does
in the Manhattan Edee Mining Company of Navada, and he likewise has valuable holdings
of improved real estate in Seattle and a large acreage in adjoining counties. His invest-
ments liave been wisely and judiciously made and both his properly and business holdings
return to him a most gratifying annual income. In the field of chemistry he has passed far
beyond the point of mediocrity and stands among the able and eminent few and he is well
known as the author of "The Analysis of the Electric Current, Heat, Light and Sound."

In 1886, in Chicago, Illinois, Mr. Tanzer was married to Miss Lina Trenne, a daughter
of -August and Justine Trenne. Their living children are : William, twenty-one years of
age, who was. a twin; Alice, twenty years of age; Freda, aged eighteen; Ruth, who was
also a twin and who is fourteen years of age; and Max, eleven. All are still single and
attending school. Seven children of the family died in Chicago.

Mr. Tanzer served in the German army in the Jaeger Batl., No. -| (Sharpshooters), from
1881 until 1S83, which covers his military experience. His political allegiance is given the
republican party where national issues are involved, but he casts a nonpartisan ballot in
municipal, county and state elections. He is a prominent Mason, having attained the
Knights Templar degree and the thirty-second degree in the Scottish Rite, while the
honorary thirty-third degree has also been conferred upon him. He is likewise a Noble
of the Mystic Shrine. He belongs to the Arctic Club of Seattle and is president of several
German societies. He is a typical son of the fatherland with the love of scientific research
and investigation characteristic of his fellow countrymen. At the same time he is thoroughly
American in spirit and interests, manifesting unfaltering loyalty to his adopted country
and being especially interested and active in support of well dcfmcd and practical measures
for the upbuilding and development of Seattle.



GEORGE H. RUMMENS.



George H. Rummens, actively engaged in law practice in Seattle since August i, 1907,
is a native son of Washington, his birth having occurred at Goldendale, Klickitat county,
March 16, 1878. He is a son of William J. and Barl)ara E. (Smith) Rummens, who crossed
the plains with an emigrant train in 1875 and at length reached the Willamette valley. They
settled in Klickitat county, \\'ashington. in 1876 and in 1885 removed to Pomeroy. \\'asli-
ington. where they still reside, the father being there engaged in butchering, farming and
the live-stock business.

George H. Rummens largely acquired his public-school education in Pomeroy, being
graduated from the high school there with the class of June, 1896. He entered upon the
study of law under the direction of the Hon. M. F. Gose, now a member of the supreme
court of Washington, on the i6th of March, 1897, a"d was admitted to the bar on the
13th of May, 1899. From May of that year until April, 1903, he practiced at Pomeroy
and then removed to Asotin, Washington, where he continued in active practice until
August, 1907. He was prosecuting attorney of Asotin county from 1904 until August,
1907, when he resigned. It was at that date that he came to Seattle, where he has since
been an active representative of the bar. He was special deputy under Prosecuting Attorney
John F. Murphy in iQii, at wliich time he participated in tlie prosecution of the Wapen-



428 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

strue case. These are the only public offices which he has ever filled, yet he has always
been a stalwart advocate of the republican party and does whatever he can to advance its
interests and secure its success because of a firm belief in its principles.

On the Sth of October, 1904, at Asotin, Washington. Mr. Rummens was united in
marriage to Miss Luella Mae Steen, a native of Dayton, Washington, and a daughter of
Richard Perry and Elizabeth (Teel) Steen. The father removed from Indiana to Oregon
in 1853, while the mother had removed to that state from Illinois in the previous year.
They were married at Walla Walla by the Rev. Gushing Eells on the Sth of June, 1863.
Richard P. Steen, who served as sheriff of Columbia county from 187S until 1879 and was
a member of the Washington territorial legislature in 1881, passed away in January, 1905.
To Mr. and Mrs. Rummens have been born four children, namely: William Steen, Helen
Elizabeth, Elaine Barbara and Beatrice Mae, all natives of Seattle.

Mr. Rummens finds interest and recreation in his fraternal associations and club life.
He is a life member of Seattle Lodge, No. 92, B. P. O. E. ; a member of Arcana Lodge,
F. & A. M.; of Lawson Consistory, No. i, S. P. R. S. ; of Nile Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. ;
and of Alki Camp, Native Sons of Washington. His name is also on the membership
rolls of the Arctic Club and the Seattle Press Club and in these organizations he has a
wide and favorable acquaintance.



CAPTAIN REUBEN S. GARDNER.

Captain Reuben S. Gardner passed away in Seattle on the 25th of September, 1903,
when he was sixty-eight years of age. He was a native of Newport, Pennsylvania, and a
son of John K. and Katherine (Shatto) Gardner. The period of his boyhood and youth
was there passed. He was living in that state at the time of the outbreak of the Civil war
and his patriotic spirit was aroused by the attempt of the south to overthrow the Union.
Accordingly he responded to the country's call for aid when the first troops volunteered
and enlisted on the 20th of April, 1861, in the Second Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer
Infantry for a term of three months, being discharged on the 26th of July that year. On
the 20th of the following August, however, he reenlisted, becoming a member of Company
F, Forty-seventh Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and was commissioned sergeant. He
was discharged October 20, 1863, by reason of his having enlisted in the Veterans Corps.
On the 14th of September, 1864, he was commissioned first lieutenant of his company and
was promoted captain January 23, 1865, in recognition of his fidelity and valor. He was
discharged at Charleston, South Carolina, December 25, 1865, and mustered out of service
January 12, 1866, at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. His regiment was stationed at Charleston
and after the surrender of General Lee he was for two weeks officer of the day at Fort
Sumter.

In 1864 Captain Gardner was married to Miss Mary A. Smith at Harrisburg, Penn-
sylvania, a daughter of John K. and Caroline (Jordan) Smith. At the close of hostilities
in the south his young wife. went to Charleston, South Carolina, and remained with her
husband until he was mustered out of service. Later in the same year they removed to
Minneapolis, Minnesota, where for a quarter of a century Captain Gardner was engaged
in the milling business. In July, 1889, he arrived in Seattle. This was only a few days
after the great fire which practically swept out the business section of the city. The Cap-
tain established a restaurant which he conducted for a time but later sold out and became
one of the conductors on the old street car line, remaining with the company for a number
of years. In 1899 he was appointed to a position in the postoffice, being given charge of
the registry department of the money order division. There he won popularity among his
fellow employes and gained many friends in the postoffice, where he discharged his duties
most creditably.

To Captain and Mrs. Gardner were born three sons : Edward, Harvey L. and Frank W.
The Captain was an unfaltering republican, always standing loyally by the party which
was the defense of the Union during the dark days of the Civil war. He belonged to John
F. Miller Post and proudly wore the little bronze button that indicated him a member of



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 429

the Grand Army of the Republic. He was an Odd Fellow of fifty years' standing and was
also an honored member of the Masonic Order. He had great faith in Seattle and always
did everything in his power to advance the interests of the city. Mrs. Gardner is a mem-
ber of Seattle Chapter, No. 95, of the Order of the Eastern Star. In 1910 she was made
national chaplain of the Women's Relief Corps, with which she has been identified for
many years and in which she has held many offices. She is now chairman of the executive
board of the department of Washington and Alaska and is widely known in the organiza-
tion, the work of which has been greatly furthered through her efforts. She is also a
member of the National Association of Patriotic Instructors of the Relief Corps.



JOHN VENTERS, D. O.



Dr. John Venters, successfully practicing osteopathy in Seattle since 1909, was born
in Pike county, Kentucky, December 10, 1873. His father, George Venters, was also a
native of that state and a representative of one of its old pioneer families. For a long
period he conducted business as a successful lumberman but is now living retired at Lin-
coln. Nebraska, at the age of seventy-one years. He is a Civil war veteran, having served
for three years and six months as a private of the Thirty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry.
He fought at the battles of Lookout Mountain, Antietam, Gettysburg and in various minor
engagements and was twice wounded. His wife, whose maiden name was Olive Wickens,
was born in Kentucky and also belongs to one of the old families of that state. She is
now sixty-six years of age. They reared a family of five children, of whom John Venters
was the second in order of birth.

The removal of the family from Kentucky to Taylorville, Illinois, caused Dr. Venters
to pursue his early education in the public and high schools of that place and later he
entered the University of Nebraska, from which he was graduated in 1892 on the com-
pletion of the scientific course, whereby he won the B. S. degree. Following his graduation
he became a commercial traveler and for three years traveled in the Orient, making a com-
plete trip around the world. He then decided to enter upon the practice of osteopathy
and in 1909 was graduated from the Central College of Osteopathy at Kansas City, Mis-
souri, after which he came direct to Seattle and here passed the required state examination
as a medical physician and doctor of osteopathy. Since that time he has continuously been
in active and successful practice, the number of his patients increasing year by year. He
also has large ranch holdings in Nebraska.

On the 25th of October, 1912, in Vancouver, British Columbia, Dr. Venters was united
in marriage to Miss Nina Fishburn, a native of Arkansas. They have one son, James, who
was born in Seattle on the 28th of December, 1913. The family home is at No. 1728
Alki avenue in Seattle, while the Doctor's offices are Nos. 726, 727 and 728 Northern bank
building. Dr. and Mrs. \'enters hold membership in the Baptist church and the former
belongs to both the Masonic lodge and chapter. At the time of the Spanish-American
war he served with the Second Nebraska Regiment as acting hospital steward at Thacker-
son Camp and is now a member of the Spanish War Veterans. In politics he is a republi-
can where national issues are involved but casts an independent local ballot. He does not
seek office but prefers at all times to concentrate his energies upon his professional duties,
which are growing continually in extent and in importance.



EDWIN MAXWELL.



Edwin Maxwell was the founder and is the proprietor of "Maxwell's Ophthalarium" of
Seattle and has conducted business in this field of science for many years. He was born
in Clarksburg, West Virginia, a son of Edwin and Loretta (Shuttleworth) Maxwell.
The father was a supreme court judge of West Virginia from 1867 until 1870.

Edwin Maxwell acquired his education in the common and high schools of West



430 ■ lilSTORY OF SEATTLE

Virginia and since tlie 3d of August, 1897, has been identified with Seattle. During the
earh' years of his residence here he was engaged in vari-ous business undertakings. He
then took- up the study of optics and established a place of business, which he now conducts
at No. 1315 Fourth avenue. He coined a word for his establishment, calling it the Oph-
thalarium, derived from the Greek word ophthainius, meaning the eye. "Maxwell's Ophthala-
rium" is now a well known institution of Seattle and one which is a credit to the city.
He does most accurate and scientific work in his chosen profession and is accorded a liberal
patronage.

Mr. Ma.xwcll has three children, John Farland, Edwin Lewis and Loretta Franklin.
His political indorsement is given to the republican party and fraternally he is connected
with the Masons, holding membership in Arcana Lodge, No. 87, A. F. & .A.. M., and
Oriental Chapter, R. A. M. He was a charter member of the Arctic Club, is one of the
old members of the Seattle Athletic Club and is identified with various other club and
social organizations of the cit}-. ■ •



CLYDE L, MORRIS.



Clyde L. Morris, a well known contractor and the president of the Washington State
Good Roads Association, belongs to that public-spirited, useful and helpful type of men
whose ambitions and desires are centered and directed in those channels through which
flows the greatest and most permanent good to the greatest number. While his chief life
work has been that of contracting, and he has won substantial success along that line, the
range of his activities and the scope of his influence have nevertheless reached far beyond
that special field. He is a native son of the northwest and possesses the spirit of deter-
mination and enterprise which has been the dominant factor in the upbuilding of this
section of the country.

His birth occurred at Pomeroy, Washington, September 2, 1876, and he accompanied
his parents on their removals to San Francisco, to Port Townsend and to Seattle. He
attended the public schools of the first two mentioned cities and later removed to Seattle,
where he liccame a pupil in a commercial school. As a boy, when not attending school,
he sold newspapers and worked as errand and delivery boy in various lines of business.
In early life his attention was directed to farming and later he took up mining, while
subsequently he entered the field of general contracting. In the latter part of the 'oos, while
emploj'ed as bookkeeper for a British Columbia mining company, by doing his accounting
work nights, he worked his way throu.gh every department of the mine from "mucker" to
"miner," and thus earned promotion to tlie management of the company, which position he
held until he went to Nome. Alaska, at the time of the great gold excitement, in the spring
of 1900. He has since had important business interests in that country. He engaged in
mining and contracting in Alaska for four consecutive years. In 1901, on May 24, when the
steamer "Jeannie" arrived at Nome and dropped her anchor at the edge of the ice two miles
from land. Mr. Morris took the contract and successfully landed the thousand tons of
freight over the sea ice to the people of Nome. In spite of the almost impassable "tundra"
in the summer and the snows and blizzards of winter, in the operation of freight and stage
lines he delivered thousands of tons of freight and supplies to the interior of Seward



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 51 of 142)