Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 52 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 52 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


peninsula.

He built the farthest north railroad in the world and installed hydraulic systems to the
value of several million dollars. He has also done considerable contract work in Washing-
ton and British Columbia. As a contractor in Alaska he at one time maintained an outfit
of two hundred and twenty-five horses and one thousand men and his daily pay roll amounted
to seven thousand dollars. This was conceded to be the largest and best equipment in the
north for railroad and ditch construction. He built some three hundred miles of ditches and
hydraulic systems, one hundred miles of railroad, and some government highways. Since
the period of his continuous sojourn in Alaska he has maintained offices in the Pioneer
and Arcade buildings in Seattle and from this point has directed large operations in Wash-
ington, British Columbia and Alaska. His contract work has ever been of a most important




CLYDE L. IklORRIS



"th e'^' k'^*'



:,fS



^BUCUHK^R^I



A>'9



lH>"/^^



„.,r.'s»»«[



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 433

character and has contributed much to the development of the districts in which he has
operated. Aside from his interests along that line he is a director of the National City
Bank and has agricultural interests in both eastern and western Washington.

Mr. Morris was married at Seattle, May i, igo6, and has one daughter, Clydene. In
his political views Mr. Morris has long been a republican and has been a delegate to various
county conventions and two state conventions. He prefers, however, that his public service
shall be done in other connections rather than as an office holder and his work has indeed
been of great benefit to the public along various lines. He is a life member of the Arctic
Club and the Tillikums of Elttaes and he also has membership in the Rainier Club, the
Automobile Club, the Chamber of Commerce and the Municipal League. He served for
two terms as a trustee and two terms as president of the Arctic Club and contributed in
no small degree toward the successful completion of the project for the erection of the
lu.Kurious home of the Arctic Club. During his presidency of the Arctic Club and since
that time he has been a tireless worker in the interests of securing beneficial legislation for
Alaska and has been one of the factors in securing the opening of the resources of that
territory. In the Automobile Club he is a past president and is now serving as a trustee.
In the Municipal League he has been a member of the road and bridge committee. He
likewise belongs to the Washington State Art Association and the Press Association. In
November, 19J3, at the fourteenth annual convention of the Washington State Good Roads
Association held at North Yakima, he was elected without opposition to the office of presi-
dent, having the distinction of being the first native son of Washington chosen to that
position. His business has been of a nature that has contributed to public progress, and
his activities outside of business have largely been directed along those lines which have
for their object public improvement and the advancement of the general welfare. His
course at all times has marked him as a citizen of worth, and high i-egard is entertained for
his business ability, his executive force and his devotion to Seattle, the state of Wash-
ington and Alaska.



PARK WEED WILLIS, M. D.

Dr. Park Weed Willis, a well known and valued representative of the medical prolession
in Seattle, was born in Umatilla county, Oregon, July 10, 1867, his parents being William
McClcllan and Mary Arabella (Keyes) Willis. While spending his youthful days under
the parental roof he pursued his early education, supplementing his public-school course
by study in Whitman College at Walla Walla, Washington, which conferred upon him'
the degree of Bachelor of Science in 1888 and that of Master of Science in 1891. His
professional course was pursued in the University of Pennsylvania at Philadelphia, and he
won his M. D. degree in 1891. After one year as resident physician in the Hospital of the
University of Pennsylvania, he returned to the Pacific northwest for active practice and
has been located in Seattle since 1892. He is chief surgeon of the Puget Light & Power
Company and consulting surgeon of the Northern Pacific Railroad. He has become well
known as a representative of the profession, the duties of which he discharges with a sense
of conscientious obligation, while his continued study and research are elements in liis
growing efficiency.

On the 15th of June, 1892. at Edgewater Park, New Jersey, Dr. Willis was united in
marriage to Miss Georgia Clark, a daughter of Robert W. Clark, of Milford, Connecticut.
They have two sons. Park Weed and Cecil D. The family arc members of St. Mark's
cliurch and Dr. Willis holds memljership in several clubs, being a life member of the
Rainier Ckil) and a member of the Seattle Golf and Country Club, the College Club and
the .\rmy and Navy Club of Washington, D. C. He is, however, identified with no secret
societies. He is ex-president of both the Washington State Medical Association and the
King County Medical Society and is a member of the American Medical Association and the
Northwest Surgical Association. His political allegiance is given to the republican party
and his military record covers service as first lieutenant in the United States Army Medi-
cal Reserve Corps. He has become widely known during his connection with Seattle and
Vol. m-n



434 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

his devotion to his profession constitutes the basis of his growing success. He enjoys the
goodwill and confidence of colleagues and contemporaries, for he is always careful to con-
form his practice to a high standard of professional ethics.



HERMON S. FRYE.



Hermon S. Frye, a member of the well known law firm of Gill, Hoyt & Frye, has been
a practicing attorney of Seattle during the past sixteen years. He was born at Clear
Lake, Iowa, on the 19th of February, 1875, his parents being W. H. and Amy S. Frye.
After completing his preliminary educational training he entered Upper Iowa University,
which institution conferred upon him the degree of Bachelor of Philosophy in 1895, and
four years later he won the degree of Bachelor of Laws from the University of Wisconsin.
In October, 1899, he began practice in Seattle as junior member of the firm of Hoyt &
Frye, which in March, 1901, admitted another partner and has since been known as Gill,
Hoyt & Frye. They are accorded an extensive and gratifying clientage. Mr. Frye has ever
prepared his cases with great thoroughness and care and his logical presentation of his
cause, together with his correct application of legal principles, has won many verdicts favor-
able to his clients.

In 1902, in Seattle, Mr. Frye was united in marriage to Anna B. Barrington, a daugh-
ter of H. F. Phillips, who took up his abode here in pioneer times. Mr. Frye gives his
political allegiance to the republican party and is an active factor in its local ranks. Fra-
ternally he is identified with the Royal Arcanum, the Benevolent Protective Order of
Elks, the Woodmen of the World, the Fraternal Order of Eagles and the Modern Woodmen.
His personal characteristics render him popular with many friends and he is much
esteemed in social and professional circles of Seattle.



AUGUST G. LINHOFF.



August G. Linhoff, a prominent plastering contractor, has plastered many of the notable
buildings of Seattle and other cities in Washington, and the consensus of public opinion
establishes him among the leading men in his line in the northwest. A native of Minne-
sota, he was born at Shakopee, November 13, 1863, a son of John and Christina (Poepper)
Linhoff. His mother still survives and is residing at the old home place in Miimesota.

August G. Linhoff, the fourth in order of birth in a family of eight children, pursued
a public school education at Shakopee to the age of eighteen years and spent his early life
upon his father's farm, working hard as a boy, having little leisure for play or recreation.
Upon leaving the farm he entered upon an apprenticeship to the plasterer's trade, his term
of indenture covering three years. He afterward worked as a journeyman plasterer for
ten years and in 1904 he came to Seattle, where he has since resided. He has steadily worked
his way upward in business during the intervening years. In 1905 he began contracting in
his line, which he has since followed successfully, employing during the seasons from
thirty to fifty workmen. Among the many notable buildings for which he has secured
the plastering contracts may be mentioned Odd Fellows Temple, the Arctic Club House,
the Oxford and Holland Hotels, the buildings for the State Hospital for the Insane at
Sedro Woolley, the Old Soldiers' Home buildings at Port Orchard, four extensive govern-
ment contracts at Bremerton, Washington, and two at Pearl Harbor, Honolulu, He also
had the plastering contract for the Northern Life building and many others and he is
regarded as one of the leading men in his line in this section of the country.

In 1889 Mr. Linhoff was united in marriage to Miss Lina K. Ochs, a native of Chaska,
Minnesota, and a daughter of William Ochs, one of the old settlers of that state. Their
children are : Gertrude, born in St. Paul, Minnesota ; and Clarance J., in Mason City, Iowa.
Mr. Linhoff owns a pleasant residence at No. 7527 Renton avenue and has other realty hold-
ings in the city. His religious faith and that of his family is that of the Roman Catholic



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 435

church. Fraternally he is connected with the Modern Woodmen of America, belonging to
Elliott Bay Camp, at Seattle, and in trade circles he has connection with the Master Plas-
terers Association, of which he is the secretary. In politics he is a democrat and he has
long been especially interested in political and civic affairs, doing everything in his power
to further the welfare and upbuilding of his city. He was the leader and prime factor in
bringing about a universal transfer system on the street railway lines of Seattle but in
order to obtain this had to fight the railway companies in all of the courts up to the United
States supreme court. The citizens owe a debt of gratitude to him for his labors in behalf
of the present popular system. He has also been the means of developing much outlying
property of Seattle which would not have been possible under former conditions, for when
the universal transfer system was secured the poor people could obtain in the outlying
districts cheap home sites and at the lowered rate of urban travel would have to pay but
one fare. His efforts in other lines have been of equal worth and value for the benefit
of the masses, his public spirit being recognized as one of the strong points in his career.
Mr. LinhofI always has great sympathy with those who are attempting to work their way
upward, for he is a self-made man, having had to depend upon his own efforts for advance-
ment and he is ever ready to extend a helping hand to those who are trying to climb up.



WILLIAM KINGSLEY SICKELS.

William Kingsley Sickels, a representative and substantial citizen of Seattle, now holds
the position of clerk of King county and has made an enviable record in that connection,
ably discharging the duties devolving upon him. His birth occurred in Washington, D. C,
on the nth of October, 1874, his parents being D. K. and Alice M. Sickels. The father
also held the office of county clerk at one time.

In the acquirement of an education William K. Sickels attended the schools of Wash-
ington, D. C, and Seattle, Washington. After putting aside his te-xtbooks he became iden-
tified with journalistic interests. In November, 1912, he was elected county clerk of King
county and on January 13th of the following year assumed the duties of the office. He was
re-elected November 4, 1914, for a second term and is now discharging his duties in a
highly creditable and commendable manner.

On the 26th of August, 1909, in Victoria, British Columbia, Mr. Sickels was united in
marriage to Miss Beulah W. Winton, a daughter of John H. and Anna S. Winton, of Detroit,
Michigan. They have one child, Isobel Desda.

Mr. Sickels gives his political allegiance to the republican party, while his religious
faith is indicated by his membership in the First Presbyterian church. He also holds mem-
bership in several clubs and social organizations and with two or three exceptions belongs
to all the principal fraternal orders. Both Mr. and Mrs. Sickels are well known in Seattle
and enjoy the warm regard of an extensive circle of friends.



L. MURRAY GRANT.



L. Murray Grant, chief engineer with the Pacific Coast Pipe Company at Seattle, was
born in Helena, Montana, April 6, 1877, a son of James S. Grant, who was born in Scotland,
October 23, 1849, and came to America as a young man. In his early life he became a
pioneer of Montana and installed the machinery for the first stamp mill in Butte, known
as the Alice mill. His wife. Mrs. Janet Eliza Grant, was born in Ontario, Canada, June
22, 1852. They moved to British Columbia in 1886.

Their son, L. Murray Grant, pursued his education in the schools of British Columbia
and in Purdue University at La Fayette, Indiana. He followed engineering for six years
before being graduated in 1904 and for three years he engaged in the practice of his pro-
fession on the Atlantic coast with headquarters in New York city. He came westward to
Washington in 1907, settling first at Spokane, where he remained for a year m charge



436 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

of the construction of the municipal pumping station. He was also inspector of all public
improvements in that city. In the spring of 1909 he arrived in Seattle and was appointed
chief engineer for the Pacific Coast Pipe Company, which position of responsibility he
now fills.

On the 9th of June, 1909, at Lowell, Indiana, Mr. Grant was united in marriage to Miss
Bernice Nelson, a native of that state. They became acquainted while students in Purdue
University. Mrs. Grant holds membership with the Daughters of the American Revolution,
some of her ancestors fighting for the independence of the colonies, while ancestors of
Mr. Grant, who were members of Clan Grant of Scotland, came to the new world and
fought in behalf of the king of England. To Mr. and Mrs. L. M. Grant have been born
two children: L. Murray, Jr., whose natal day was February 5, 191 1 ; and Janet, born August
II, 1913-

Mr. Grant was formerly a Mason and holds a demit from King Solomon Lodge, No.
17, A. F. & A. M., of Westminster, B. C. He belongs to the American Society of Civil
Engineers and to its local branch and is a member of the honorary engineering fraternity,
Tau Beta Pi. His interest chiefly centers in his profession, in which he has made continu-
ous progress.



NICHOLAS C. HEALY.



Forty-three years have been added to the cycle of the centuries since Nicholas C. Healy
became a factor in the development of the lumber industry of the northwest. He knows
every phase of the business and is competent to speak authoritatively upon the subject,
for he has not only watched its development but has been an active factor therein through
more than four decades. Today he holds e.xtensive timber producing properties both in
Washington and British Columbia.

Mr. Healy is a Canadian by birth, having first opened his eyes to the light of day on
a farm at Goderich in the province of Ontario, October 8, 1852, his parents being Michael
and Julia Ann (McArty) Healy. To the age of sixteen he remained upon the home farm
and alternated the work of the fields with attendance at the district schools. He then
went to Michigan and entered upon active connection with the business in which he has
since been engaged, being employed in the pine woods near Alpena. He soon became an
expert workman at the task known as "swamping" in Michigan and as "tending hook" in
Washington. After three years devoted to that work, the winter months being spent in
the woods and the summer seasons in the sawmill, he came to the northwest, attracted by
the accounts of the big timber of the Pacific northwest. This was in the year 1872 and
Olympia was his destination. He spent some time at the Port Madison mill, where he
worked on a "boom," and then went to Kalama, where he was employed in clearing the
right of way for the Northern Pacific Railway. He passed his first Christmas Day in
Washington in building a log camp for the railway company on tlie present site of Kalama.
When the news of the gold discovery on the Peace river in British Columbia reached
him, he decided to seek his fortune in the mines and left Washington on the 1st day of
May, 1873, devoting the succeeding two years to prospecting. In the fall of 1875, however,
he again engaged in the lumber business, entering the employ of Jerry Rogers, a well known
Canadian lumberman, at Bird's Inlet, British Columbia. He worked as a hook tender on
False Creek, on the site now occupied by the city of Vancouver, but after three years he
returned to Washington and as hook tender entered the employ of Blackman Brothers
at Snohomish, where he spent two years. He afterward spent four years as foreman
of the camp, having charge at that time of a crew of twenty-five men, which was con-
sidered a large number in those days. While working in the woods Mr. Healy was noted
for his skill as a hook tender, possessing superior skill in getting logs out of the dense
undergrowth. On one occasion he brought out a "stick" one hundred and fifty-four feet
long, which was sent to the Midwinter Exposition at San Francisco.

While for some years Mr. Healy remained in the employ of others, his laudable ambi-
tion prompted him to utilize his opportunities to the best advantage and in due course of




NICHOLAS C. HEALV



u



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 439

time, when his financial resources were adequate, he organized the logging firm of Healy
& Sisco in 1895 and began operations on the Ebey slough. For eight years they were
engaged in furnishing logs to the Port Blakeley Mill and to smaller concerns. In 1897
Mr. Healy became connected with Charles H. Cobb, E. S. Kerry, M. F. Backus and Mr.
Sisco in establishing the Port Susan Logging Company, an enterprise that through the
succeeding decade operated very extensively in Snohomish county. Mr. Healy was vice
president and general manager of the company and also became a trustee and general
manager of the International Timber Company of British Columbia. He was also chosen
vice president and general manager of the Marysville and Arlington Railway Company
and secretary of the Cobb-Healy Investment Company of Seattle.

On the I2th of January, 1888, Mr. Healy wedded Miss Estella Comford, a daughter of
James and Maria Comford. She passed away in 1898, leaving six children, namely:
Eugene, Maria, John, Illoyne, Nicholas and Estella. Mr. Healy is prominent in the
Masonic and Odd Fellows fraternities, and also belongs to the Benevolent Protective Order
of Elks. He is likewise a member of the Rainier Club of Seattle and the Cascade Club
of Everett. Such in brief is the history of one of the prominent lumbermen of the north-
west. The steps in his orderly progression are easily discernible and indicate how closely
he has applied himself to the work in hand and how strenuously he has labored to achieve
success. Perseverance and determination have enabled him to overcome many obstacles
and step by step he has neared the goal of prosperity-. He derives genuine pleasure from
the solution of difficult business problems and the actual practical experience of his early
years now proves a most potent factor in the successful conduct of his extensive and impor-
tant interests.



WARREN LEA GAZZAJ^I.



Warren Lea Gazzam, a pioneer merchant of Seattle, prominent in fire insurance circles,
president of the Kitsap County Transportation Company and an officer in other business cor-
porations, has made the northwest the theatre of his activity and has played well his part,
winning success and gaining the plaudits of the public by reason of the honorable methods
he has pursued. He was born in Mobile, Alabama, June 8, 1863, a son of Charles Wood
and Mary (Goodwin) Gazzam. Although exempt from military duty, the father served
for four years in the Confederate army during the Civil war. The Gazzam family originated
in England and when representatives of the name crossed the Atlantic they settled in Phila-
delphia, whence other representatives of this branch of the family went to the south. The
grandfather of Warren Lea Gazzam was Charles W. Gazzam, who became very prominent
as a banker and shipowner in Mobile, Alabama. He was recognized as one of the leading
men of the south and in connection with his other business aflfairs built and owned the street
railway in Mobile. Such were his personal characteristics as well as his prominence that
lie was beloved by all classes of people and his death was the occasion of deep regret when
he passed away in 1876 at the age of eighty-four years. He married a member of the Lea
family of Pennsylvania, renowned in literature and science, one of the uncles being Dr.
Isaac Lea, of Philadelphia. On the maternal side Warren Lea (jazzam comes from tlie
family of Warrens of Revolutionary war fame.

Warren Lea Gazzam pursued his education in the schools of Mobile to the age of
eleven years, when he started out in the business world, securing a situation in an insurance
office. Practically throughout his entire life he has been connected with the fire insurance
business. In 1880, however, he went to Memphis, Tennessee, where he was in charge of the
office of the firm of Johnston & Vance, retail clothiers. In 1883 he removed to Arizona
and was appointed acting Indian agent under Grover Cleveland. In 1887 he came to Seattle
and established the first store on Second avenue, so tliat he can justly lay claim to being a
pioneer merchant of this city. His store was at the southwest corner of Marion street and
Second avenue, where he dealt in wall paper and artists' materials, selling out to T. M.
Daulton in 1888. The second owner in turn sold out to the Globe Wall Paper Company,
now doing business. In 1889 Mr. Gazzam returned to the line of business in wliich lie liad



440 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

been first engaged, for prior to the fire of that year he opened an insurance office and ha.
since continued active along that line, operating at the present time as a member of a firm
under the name of the Bowden-Gazzam Company. In this connection he has secured an
extensive clientage, the firm writing a large amount of insurance annually. Aside from his
work along those lines Mr. Gazzam is president of the Kitsap Countv Transportation Com-
pany, vice president of the Japanese Commercial Bank, the leading Japanese bank of the
northwest, and a director of the M. Furnya Company, He also has important investments
on Bambridge island.

On the i6th of October, 1888, in Seattle, Washington. Mr. Gazzam was united in mar-
riage to Miss Lulu Yeaton, who was the first white child who ever lived in Spokane her
parents being Cyrus F. and Catherine E. Yeaton. The father was one of the first owners of
the town site and the first postmaster of Spokane. To Mr. and Mrs. Gazzam have beer,
born four children, namely: Lea, Ruth, Mary Louise and Warren Lea, Jr

Mr. Gazzam-s military experience has come to him as a member of the Tennessee
and Washington state militias. In politics he is a democrat but has held no office save that
of Apache Indian agent under Grover Cleveland. He belongs to the Rainier Club the
Arctic Club and the Transportation Club and in his religious faith is an Episcopalian ' He
has a creditable record as a self-made man, having started out at the early age of eleven
and having worked his way steadily upward through ability and unfaltering energy. He has
neglected no opportunity that would enable him to advance and the years have brought him
a measure of success that is the merited reward of his labors.



HARRY WILLIAM APPLETON.

Harry William Appleton, optometrist and state examiner in optometry, is now con-
ducting an extensive and growing business which is yielding him substantial profit and
which marks him as one of the foremost representatives of his profession in Seattle and
the northwest. He was born in London, England, March 17, 1855, a son of Henry Janeway
Appleton, who was connected with the old historic London house that made some of the
first chronometers. His son, H. W. Appleton of this review, has had throughout his entire



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 52 of 142)