Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 53 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 53 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


life a watch which his grandfather, Henry Appleton, made by hand and which is now,
although over one hundred years old, in perfect order. The father continued to engage in
the manufacture of chronometers throughout his entire life, thus following in the foot-
steps of his father. He came to America in 1865. settling in New York, where he resided
and followed his profession until his death, which occurred in 1890, when he was sixty-six
years of age. He was nicknamed by Pierpont Morgan as Old Father Time. His work was
well known among the Wall street bankers and he was on intimate terms with many of
New York's most eminent and prominent financiers. A man of liberal education, high
ideals and marked characteristics he found his companionship among men of worth, his
own sterling qualities gaining him wide renown. He married Mary Ann Rooff, a native
of Kent, England, who came to America with her husband and son, her only child. She
died in New York city, November 22, 1913. at the very remarkable old age of ninety-six
years.

Henry William Appleton began his education in the School of St. Bartholomew in
London, England, and completed his course in private study. He is largely a self-educated
man, constantly adding to the sum total of his knowledge by reading, investigation and
experience. As a boy he learned under the direction of his father the watchmaker's trade,
which he followed until 1892. He also learned the jeweler's trade as a boy with the firm
of Geoflfery & Company of New York city, with whom he spent four years, and while
in the eastern metropolis he attended and was graduated from Bucklin's College of Optom-
etry, on the 4th of May. 1887. He came to Seattle, where he arrived at three o'clock
on Wednesday afternoon, on the nth of July. 1906. While living in New York city he
had engaged in the jewelry business and upon his removal to the northwest he became
connected with Albert Hansen, of the Albert Hansen Jewelry Company, owning the largest
store of the kind in Seattle. Mr. Appleton was employed by Mr. Hansen until April to.



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 441

1910, conducting the optical department of the store at the corner of First and Cherry
streets. He then purchased that branch of the business from Mr. Hansen, renting space
for the department in Mr. Hansen's store until the ist of May, 1913, when Mr. Hansen
removed to his present location at No. loio Second avenue. Mr. Appleton was to occupy
the balcony of the store but for lack of room was obliged to seek larger quarters and
consequently opened his present offices at Nos. 203 and 205 Leary building, on the 22d of
April, 1913. Here he has since remained, doing all of the work for the store but the
business is his own. On the 30th of June, 191 1, he was appointed by Governor Hay to the
position of state examiner in optometry for the state of Washington. He is one of only two
representatives in the state of Washington as a fellow of the scientific section of the
American Optical Association and was made a fellow of optometrical science August 21,
1902. He is also a member of the Washington State Society of Optometrists and occupies
a leading and commanding professional position.

On the 3d of June, 1908, Mr. Appleton was married in Plymouth church, Seattle, to
Mrs. Carrie Grunkranz, the widow of John Grunkranz, one of the early settlers of Seattle
and a representative of a prominent and wealthy family. Mrs. Appleton bore the maiden
name of Caroline Zingre, and was born in Wisconsin, of German parentage.

In his political views Mr. Appleton is a republican but without aspiration for office.
Becoming a Mason in New York city, he took the degrees of the blue lodge and of the
chapter. He belongs to the Commercial Club, which is indicative of his interest in the
upbuilding of his adopted city and he also has membership in the Christian Science church.
His record is that of a self-made man who by the steps of an orderly progression has
advanced from a humble position to one of responsibility and prominence. Depending
upon his own resources from boyhood he wisely used his time and talents and close appli-
cation and energy have enabled him to overcome difficulties and obstacles and win sub-
stantial prosperity. He now has a wide and favorable acquaintance as a business man
and as a citizen and has gained many friends during the period of his residence in the
northwest.



W. A. WICKS.



W. A. Wicks, president and treasurer of the Franklin Wicks Company, conducting an
autoniobile business at the corner of Twelfth and East Union streets, was born May 29.
1879. in Baltimore, Maryland, a son of W. A. and Ella G. (Galloway) Wicks, the former
a native of St. Louis, Missouri, and the latter of Portland. Maine. The father was one
of the first manufacturers and the promoter of the tin can industry of America. He in-
vented and owned twenty of the first patents issiled for making tin cans by machinery.
He conducted the business in Baltimore, Maryland, where he owned and operated one of
the largest factories in the city at that time. He continued actively in the business until
1886, when his healtli failed and he was forced to retire, passing away in 1895. His widow
survives and is now living with the family in Seattle. There were but two children, the
daughter being Miss Clementine Wicks.

W. A. Wicks is largely a self-educated as well as self-made man. He supplemented
his i>ublic-school training by a course in the Case School of Applied Science in Cleveland.
Ohio, completing a four year's course in mechanical engineering, at the end of which time
he was graduated with the class of 1907. His first work was with the United States
Geologic Survey in the fuel testing division at Norfolk, Virginia. He did similar work
in Pittsburgh. Pennsylvania, and in 1909 accepted an appointment in the engineering depart-
ment of the H. H. Franklin Manufacturing Company at Syracuse, New York.

Mr. Wicks' identification with the northwest dates from 1912, at which time he made
his way to Seattle and began business in the sale of the Franklin motor cars. He has
continued in this line to the present time and has enjoyed a goodly share of the trade.
He has always enjoyed the confidence of the public as a thoroughly reliable, progressive
and enterprising business man. His trade is confined to western Washington, where he has
put out many cars, his business growing year by year.



442 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

On the I2th of September, 1908, Mr. Wicks was married in Waterbury, Connecticut,
to Miss Betsey Hoadley, a daughter of Charles E. and Emma Hoadley, of that place. Her
father was district manager for the New England Mutual Life Insurance Company for a
number of years. Mr. and Mrs. Wicks have three children : Jean, six years of age ; Ren-
dall, four years of age ; and Sheldon, aged two.

Mr. Wicks has traveled quite extensively, visiting many states and also Canada and
New Mexico, and he is thoroughly satisfied with the climate and conditions of the north-
west and is anxious to make his permanent abode in Seattle. He belongs to the Arctic
Club and he has membership in the Tau Beta Pi, a college fraternity. In politics he is
liberal, voting rather for the man than the party. His religious faith is that of the Con-
gregational church and he displays in all business and social relations those sterling qualities
which in every land and clime awaken confidence and respect. Watchful of oppor-
tunities, he has steadily advanced along business lines and now occupies a creditable and
prominent position in the commercial circles of the city as president and treasurer of the
Franklin Wicks Company.



JOHN ARTHUR.



High on the legal arch of Washington is written the name of John Arthur, who was
the first president of the Washington State Bar Association and who for many years has
figured prominently in active practice in the courts of Seattle. He was born near the town
of Ennis, County Clare, Ireland, on the 20th of June, 1849, and is descended from Eng-
lish and Irish ancestry, the paternal line being traced back to the Franco-Norman con-
querors of England. The family removed to Ireland and held extensive tracts of land
in the counties of Limerick and Clare. They went to the Emerald isle with the ancestors
of the families of General Wolfe, the hero of Quebec; the Whites, Melvilles, Stackpooles
and Martins. Chester A. Arthur, once president of the United States, was a scion of the
family ; his Christian name was given him in honor of the old family home in England,
by his father, who was a student of antiquities and the author of a valuable book on
Family Names. In the maternal line Mr. Arthur is descended from the O'Connors and
McMahons of Clare. A relative. Marshal McMahon, became president of the French
republic.

Mr. Arthur's family removed to England in 1861 and to America in 1S63. His edu-
cation was pursued in his native country and in England and America. He studied law in
Erie, Pennsylvania, where he was admitted to the bar. This was supplemented by a four-
year's course in Columbian University at Washington, D. C. When he had completed his
second year's work in the university the Master of Laws degree was conferred upon
him and he was awarded the first prize for the best essay upon a legal subject, it being
given to him in the presence of the president of the United States, the members of the
cabinet and the judges of the supreme court; the presentation being made, in the absence
of the attorney general, by the United States solicitor general, who spoke of the essay
as an able and scholarly production and soon thereafter moved Mr. .'Arthur's admission to
practice before the supreme court of the United States.

President Arthur offered him the United States attorneyship for New Mexico, but he
declined the position, feeling that his wise course would be to identify his interests with
the growing northwest. Accordingly, in March, 1883, he started from Washington to Puget
Sound, as attorney for the Tacoma Land Company, with headquarters at Tacoma, and
through the succeeding four years spent his time almost equally between that city and
Seattle but established his home in Seattle on the i8th of April, 1887. In May, 1888, he
was elected secretary of the King County Bar Association, in which position he has con-
tinued since. He was the first president of the Washington State Bar .'Association. The
address which he delivered as president in 1894 was reprinted in the leading law journals
of the country and treated as of permanent interest and value, his subject being "Lawyers
in their Relations with the State." The newspapers made it the theme of editorial dis-




lOHX ARTHUR



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 445

cussion, and it won the widespread interest and attention of distinguished members of the
bar throughout the country.

Mr. Arthur has never had aspirations for office outside the strict path of his profes-
â– sion. While he has filled some positions of honor, he accepted them with reluctance, hav-
ing preferred not .to withdraw his attention in any measure from his professional duties
and responsibilities. He served as president of the Board of License Commissioners of
Erie, occupying that position at the time of his removal to Washington, D. C. He also
became president of the State Board of University Land and Building Commissioners in
Washington. These are the only public offices he has held, with the exception of that of
law assistant to the first comptroller of the treasury in Washington.

In 1880 Mr. Arthur was united in marriage in Philadelphia to Miss Amy A. Lane,
and they reside at No. 1515 East Madison street in Seattle. In his political views he has
always been a republican and has served as chairman of the King county republican
central committee. He is one of the most prominent representatives of Masonry in the
state of Washington, and since 1889 has held membership in St. John's Lodge, No. 9,
F. & A. M.; in Seattle Chapter, No. 3, R. A. M. ; and Seattle Commandery, No. 2, K. T.
He has served as master of St. John's Lodge. In 1890 he was elected a member of
.^firi Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., located at Tacoma, of which he became potentate in
1900. In 1892 he attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite. He is a charter
member of Seattle Council, No. 6, R. & S. M. In 1902 he became grand master of
Masons in Washington. His addresses in the grand lodge were copied extensively through-
out the world in the Masonic press.

Mr. Arthur's wide learning and his gift of oratory make him in frequent demand
on public occasions, and his speeches attract wide attention. Two years after he had deliv-
ered an impromptu address in Tacoma a New England journalist wrote: "I have heard
two speeches in my lifetime that I deemed remarkable. One was delivered by Wendell
Phillips in old Faneuil Hall on the occasion of a welcome by the Garrison abolitionists to
George Thompson, the British emissary. Nobody could be heard on that occasion but
Wendell Phillips, and he scored so brilliant a triumph with his audience that they hissed
and cheered alternately. The other speech was made by John Arthur, and the audacity of
that brilliant effort, aimed as it was, will not soon be forgotten." Another editor printed
in red ink an entire Fourth of July oration by Mr. Arthur, with the comment: "Rarely
has an audience had spread before it such a bouquet of excellence, such soul-stirring elo-
quence, such an enthusing presentation of historical facts."

Several years ago, without intimation to him that his name was under consideration,
he was elected a member of The Authors' Club, of London, in recognition of his con-
tributions to literature.



CAPTAIN CHARLES E. BERGMAN.

Captain Charles E. Bergman was throughout his entire life identified with transporta-
tion interests and for many years was a well known figure in this connection throughout
the Sound country. He was born in Sweden in 1855 and was a youth of fifteen years
when his parents left that country and established a home in Minnesota. When about
twenty-five years of age he came to Seattle and secured the position of engineer on the
steamer Celilo. He later installed the machinery on the Bob Irving and became her cap-
tain, that vessel plying between Tacoma and Henderson bay. W^hen the Clara Brown was
built he became her first captain and in this connection was well known to those associated
with shipping interests in the early days. At length he retired from steamboating and went
upon a ranch, but found that agricultural life was not congenial and returned to marine
life as captain of the Fairhaven and later of the State of Washington. He afterward
engaged in business for himself, building the Mikado and the Marguerite, which he operated
on the Snohomish river. Still later he built the Garden City, which he operated on the
Sound from Seattle to Washington bay, and which after a short time was burned. It
was on the tug C. F. that he lost his life in September, 1907.



446 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

In December, 1882, Captain Bergman was married to Miss Margaret C. Kiddie, a
daughter of George Kiddie, who came from Scotland, in which country he had learned
the molder's trade. After removing from Victoria, British Columbia, to Port Madison
in 1868 he worked at his trade there, becoming the only iron molder in the country and
doing all of the work in his line for all of the ships on the Sound. . He remained thus
active in business until his death, which occurred in 1875, when he was forty-eight years
of age. He married Ann Klink and they became the parents of six daughters, Mrs. Ann
Barton, Mrs. Charles E. Bergman, Mrs. N. C. Perring, Mrs. A. F. Brunbrook, Mrs. Alfred
Peterson and Mrs. Mary B. Crockard. There is also a half-brother, A. D. Smith.

To Captain and Mrs. Bergman were born six children, one of whom has passed away,
while the five still living are George Edwin, Helen M., Marguerite, Doris and Carl. In
his fraternal relations Captain Bergman was a Mason and the ties which exist between
the members of that order brought to him many pleasant hours as he journeyed back and
forth on his various trips to points upon the Sound and the rivers of the northwest.
He became widely known as a representative of marine interests and although eight years
have come and gone since he passed away he is yet remembered by those with whom he
was associated in business or friendship.



FRANK B. COOPER.



On the 1st of July, 1915, Frank B. Cooper entered upon his fifteenth year as superin-
tendent of the schools of Seattle and throughout the entire period has been recognized
as one of the most prominent educators of the northwest. He was born in Mount Morris
township. Ogle county, Illinois, September 17, 1855, a son of William Tliomas and Barbara
Theophania (Wallace) Cooper. He began his education in the public schools of Illinois,
attending principally in Polo, and afterward continued his studies in Cornell University.
He has always been connected with educational work and the steps in his orderly progres-
sion are easily discernible. He was superintendent of schools at Le Mars, Iowa, from
1883 until 1890 and was professor of education in the State University of Iowa through
the succeeding year. In 1891 he was appointed to the superintendency of schools at Des
Moines, Iowa, in which connection he continued for eight years, and in 1899 he went to
Salt Lake City, where he remained as superintendent of schools until 1901. In that year
he came to Seattle. He may well be proud of the fact that he has had the exceptional ex-
perience of having filled the following positions in the metropolis of each of three states
superintendent of city schools ; president of the State Teachers' Association ; member of the
state board of education. He has also been president of the department of superintendence,
a national organization.

On the 24th of August, 1880, in Polo, Illinois, Mr. Cooper was married to Miss Mattie
M. Hazeltine and they have become the parents of four living children : Phania ; Ruth,
the wife of Lewis K. Lear ; John ; and William, who married Maude Lucille Meenach, in
1909. All are yet residents of Seattle and it is their custom to meet at least once a month
at their parents' home.

In politics Mr. Cooper is an independent republican. Fraternally he is connected with
the Masons and the Knights of Pythias. He belongs to the Delta Upsilon college frater-
nity and to the College Club, while his religious faith is indicated in his membership in the
Pilgrim Congregational church. His reading is wide and his interests are broad and varied,
but his activities are practically confined to his school work, and under his guidance notable
advance and improvement have been made in the Seattle schools. During the fourteen
years of Mr. Cooper's supervision of the schools of this city the attendance in the schools
has increased threefold and the high school attendance has grown to six times what it was
fourteen years ago, entailing constantly increasing care and attention to keep facilities even
with growth and at the same time to keep abreast with the educational advance of the times.
During this period parental schools for both boys and girls have been established, evening
schools for elementary and high school study have been instituted, manual training for
boys and household arts for girls have been introduced throughout. Special schools for



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 447

tlie deaf and the mentally deficient have been organized, thirteen centers for prevocational
work, attended by nearly one thousond boys and girls of grammar school age, have been
established, a corps of auxiliary teachers for assisting in the advancement of pupils who are
backward or who by reason of greater capability may go rapidly forward has been secured
and nine kindergartens have been started. Medical inspection has been introduced and a
medical department with clinic has been put upon a highly efficient basis. The twelve install-
ment plan for teachers has been instituted and a Mutual Benefit Association for the help
of sick teachers organized. During this time four high school buildings have been com-
pleted, a fifth being now in process of construction, and forty-one grade school buildings
have been erected and additions made to eight others.



SAMUEL JUDD HOLMES, M. D.

Dr. Sanuiel Judd Holmes, who for twenty-seven years has enjoyed the confidence and
respect of the citizens of Seattle, where he has been accorded a liberal practice, and who
also enjoys the high esteem of his professional brethren, was born in Palmyra, Wisconsin,
October 12, 1854, a son of Miles and Nancy Sophia (Cowles) Holmes. The former was a
grandson of Captain Samuel Judd of the Fifth Company, Twenty-seventh Regiment Con-
necticut Militia, in the war of the Revolution, serving with that command in 1783. The
latter was a granddaughter of Josiah Cowles. a recognized patriot residing in the town of
Southington, Connecticut, during the Revolutionary period. Miles Holmes and his wife
emigrated from Connecticut to the territory of Wisconsin in 1848, settling in Jefferson
county, where he hewed out a homestead in the midst of the forest, about six miles from
the present town of Palmyra. In i8.i2 he made the overland trip to California with ox
teams to join the men who were operating in the mines. After a hazardous and difficult
journey covering several months he engaged in mining on Feather River and American
river for more than a year and then returned to his home in the woods of Wisconsin,
making the trip by way of Cape Horn, having met with moderate success in his mining
ventures in the far west. After a few more years spent at his early home in the midst
of the Wisconsin forest he removed with his family of three children to Palmyra and there
engaged in business as a country merchant. He died in the year 1868, while his wife sur-
vived until 1872. In 1857 he served as a member of the Wisconsin legislature. S. J.
Holmes has one brother, H. E. Holmes, now a member of the firm of Stewart & Holmes
of Seattle, and a sister also living in Seattle.

Samuel Judd Holmes attended the public schools of Palmyra, Wisconsin, until fifteen
years of age and prepared for college in the Lake Forest Academy at Lake Forest, Illinois.
He entered the University of Wisconsin in 1872, spending his freshman and sophomore
years in that institution, after which he entered the Rush Medical College of Chicago in
1874, being graduated therefrom in 1876. He next entered the University Medical College
of New York City and was graduated from that institution in 1877. He afterward became
medical interne in Charity Hospital of New York and during the year and a half spent
in tliat institution gained much valuable knowledge and the broad experience which only
hospital practice can bring. He then went abroad for study in Europe, attending clinics
and taking laboratory work in Vienna, Austria, Heidelberg and Berlin, Germany, for a
year and a half. Upon returning to America in 1879 he settled in Chicago, where he prac-
ticed medicine for nine years. He was appointed a lecturer in Rush Medical College in
188,? and continued in the chair of pathological anatomy and pathological histology until
18S0. He was appointed lecturer in the Women's Medical College of Chicago in 1880 and
continued in connection with that institution for three years, being recognized as one of
the able medical educators of that city.

In 1888 Dr. Holmes arrived in the territory of Washington and opened an office in
Seattle, where he has since continued in_ the active practice of medicine, enjoying the con-
fidence, respect and good will of the people of the city through all the intervening years
and the high esteem of the members of the profession. As the years have passed on he
has made judicious investment in real estate and now has extensive property holdings in



448 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

the city of Seattle. He has been a member of the board of United States pension examin-
ing surgeons for about fifteen years and is also an examining physician for injured govern-
ment employes. He was a member of the board of health of the city of Seattle for six
years and for two years of that time was its president, his connection wtih the board be-
ginning in 1892, while his presidency covered the years from 1894 to 1897. In 1898 he
became city bacteriologist of Seattle, acting in that capacity until 1900 inclusive, and he
installed the first city bacteriological laboratory in 1898. He has been a member of the
attending medical staff of the City Hospital for six years and is justly accounted one of
the distinguished members of the profession in the northwest.



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 53 of 142)