Clarence Bagley.

History of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) online

. (page 54 of 142)
Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 54 of 142)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


In Chicago, Illinois, in September, 1883, Dr. Holmes was married to Miss Alice R.
Lennox, who was born in Muskegon, Michigan, of Scotch parentage, both the father and
mother, George and Jane (Rutherford) Lennox, having been born in Perth, Scotland.
Mrs. Holmes attended the Rockford (111.) Seminary. She has been a most devoted mother,
interested in the education and rearing of her children for useful careers. She is also a
devoted Christian woman and has been a constant worker for years in missionary affairs.
She holds membership in the Westminster Presbyterian church. To Dr. and Mrs. Holmes
have been born two sons. Lennox R., now a business man, was graduated from the Broad-
way school of Seattle with the class of 1907 and from the University of Pennsylvania in
191 1. J. Lester Holmes was graduated from the Broadway high school in 1909, attended
the University of Washington for two years and is now a student of architecture in the
University of Pennsylvania. He was born in Seattle, while his elder brother is a native
of Chicago.

Dr. Holmes served as a member of the National Guard of Washington in 1888 and
1889, being a member of Company E, First Regiment. The only active service in which
he participated was that of guard duty during and following the disastrous fire of 1889.
He has always been allied with the republican party and is a believer in consistent protec-
tion of industries, the income tax, the inheritance tax, the "control of trusts which are in
restraint of trade," encouragement to railways and American control of the Panama canal
with free tolls to coastwise shipping. He has studied thoroughly the questions and issues
of the day and his opinions are based upon careful consideration of the subject.

For more than a quarter of a century Dr. Holmes has been a member of the Odd Fel-
lows society and also belongs to the Royal Arcanum. He passed the chairs in the former
and has been examining physician in both. He is a member of the Washington State
Society of the Sons of the American Revolution, of which he has been president and mem-
ber of the board of managers; was a trustee of the national society for two years and
elected vice president general of that organization, July 20, 1915. He also belongs to the Uni-
versity Club, the Physicians Study Club, the King County Medical Society, the Washington
State Medical Association and the American Medical Association. He served as presi-
dent of the King County Medical Society in l8go and since 1908 he has been president of
the Washington Medical Library Association and is a member of its board of trustees.
Though this record does not enter into the life history of Dr. Holmes in detail, those who
read between the lines will recognize the fact that he has been a close and discriminating
student of his profession and that merit has brought to him advancement. Step by step he
has progressed until he now occupies a prominent place among the leading physicians not
only of Seattle but of the state. To wide and thorough study he has added the benefits
of broad experience, from which he has derived logical deductions that have been of the
utmost benefit in the daily performance of his professional duties.



MRS. E. ARLITA ADAAIS.



Mrs. E. Arlita Adams has entered a field in which few women have taken part, but
her ability and resourcefulness have brought her to a prominent position, making her one
of the foremost patent attorneys of the northwest. She has won distinction and honor
along more than one line in Seattle and certainly deserves mention as one of the repre-
sentative residents of the metropolis of the northwest. She was born in Minneapolis,




MRS. E ARLITA ADAMS



}A



„ i



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 451

Minnesota, June i8, 1874, a daughter of Ira B. and Arlita (Yates) Hewitt, the latter a
descendant of Governor Yates of Illinois. In the paternal line she comes of Scotch ances-
try, the family in America, however, antedating the Revolutionary war period. On the
mother's side she comes of Revolutionary stock of Scotch-Spanish descent. Her grand-
father had the distinction of having fired the last shot in the Mexican war, which came
about by accident, however. He was deaf and failed to hear the order to stop firing
when the officers discovered that the white flag had been raised. The last shot was the
subject of investigation, but the offender was exonerated when it was discovered that he
could not hear. The father of Mrs. Adams, Ira B. Hewitt, was a soldier of the Civil war,
serving as a member of Company I, Mounted Rangers of Minnesota, fighting the Indians
on the frontier, being stationed at Fort Snelling.

Mrs. Adams attended the Minneapolis public schools, passing through consecutive
grades to the high school, and afterward spent three years as a student in the University
of Washington. On the 27th of October, 1889, she gave her hand in marriage to Frank
E. Adams, a registered patent attorney and mechanical engineer, who was the oldest rep-
resentative of his branch of the profession in' Seattle. He was born in Bristol, England,
in 1870 and was but two years of age when brought by his parents, Isaac and Sarah
(Bryant) Adams, to America. The family resided for a time in Duluth and afterward in
Brainerd, Minnesota, before removing to Minneapolis, where the father continued practice
as a mining engineer. Both he and his wife died when about seventy years of age.

Frank E. Adams was one of a family of six children. He attended the public schools
of Minneapolis and afterward the State University of Minnesota and his practical train-
ing was received as an apprentice in the machine shops and drafting department of the
North Star Iron Works at Minneapolis. Subsequently he was employed as draftsman and
mechanical designer by various firms in many of the largest cities of the United States,
thus adding constantly to his experience, his knowledge and his efficiency. The year 1890
witnessed his arrival in Seattle, where he entered the city engineer's office. Some time
afterward he opened an oflice for the private practice of his profession and for a time he
devoted his earnings to the study of patent law, becoming capable of designing all classes
of machinery and skillfully preparing and prosecuting applications for patents. He was a
registered patent attorney in both the United States and Canada and also conducted the
prosecution of patents in foreign lands. He was one of the first to engage in practice as
a patent attorney in Seattle and his ability in that direction brought him prominently before
the public.

Mr. Adams was also widely known as a leader in the ranks of the republican party in
tlie northwest. He was frequently a delegate to city and county conventions and in 1895,
when a candidate for fire commissioner, received the largest majority given to any man on
the republican ticket. He had an interesting military experience, for in 1S91 he became a
member of the Washington National Guard, entering Company D, which was soon
called out for active duty in quelling the Franklin and Gilman coal riots. He was
advanced to the rank of first sergeant of his company and in that capacity took part in
the Northern Pacific strike in 1894. From the rank of first sergeant he rose at one step
to that of captain and thus commanded a detachment on the Columbia river during the
fishing strike, in which he was out for ninety days, and he received the highest praise for
his service from the adjutant general of the state in his biennial report covering that
period. At the first call for troops for the Spanish-American war he volunteered and
his company was the first mustered in from Washington, becoming known as Company
D, First Washington Infantry. The command was sent immediately to San Francisco and
after spending several months at the Presidio sailed for the Philippines in October. Cap-
tain Adams served during the greater part of the time with the rank of major and
received mention for distinguished service in battle. One month before his regiment left
for the Philippines he was ordered to San Francisco because of ill health and later was
discharged with the others of his regiment, returning to Seattle.

Mrs. Adams accompanied her husband on his trip to the Philippines and upon their
return they engaged in practice as patent attorneys at Seattle until the death of Captain
Adams, which occurred September 8, 191 2, as the result of an operation brought about by
illness contracted during his residence in the Philippines thirteen years before. They



452 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

became the parents of a daughter, Vivianiie Arlita, who was born in Seattle and is now
twenty-three years old.

Captain Adams had an extensive circle of warm friends in Seattle, where much of his
life was passed. He had started in business there with Fred Ames, county survej'or, and
during their year's connection they engaged in civil and mechanical engineering and did
such patent work as was to be secured, in which connection Captain Adams was frequently
sent to Washington, D. C, to give expert testimony.

Mrs. Adams joined her husband in active practice in 1901, after having previously
been in his oiRce for two years. In igo6 they formed a partnership with Stephen A.
Brooks, of Washington, D. C, which connection existed until the death of Mr. Brooks,
December iS, 1914. On January I, 1915, Mrs. Adams formed a partnership with Henry L.
Reynolds, formerly examiner in the United States patent office, the name of the firm being
Adams & Reynolds. She was admitted to the bar as a patent attorney in 1901 and has
since made a specialty of patent cases. She was one of the first women in the United States
admitted to practice patent law and is the only woman patent attorney west of Chicago.
She was also the first woman on the firing line in the Philippine islands, arriving at Manila
five days before the outbreak of hostilities. Mrs. Adams is a member of the Chamber of
Commerce and has the distinction of being the only woman member of the Commercial
Club. She votes with the republican party but is not active in politics, and her religious
faith is that of the Episcopal church. She maintains her residence in winter at the Wash-
ington Hotel and has a summer home on Mercer island. Pronounced ability has brought
her prominently to the front and she occupies a distinguished if unique position in connec-
tion with professional circles.



EUGENE THURLOW.



Eugene Thurlow is the secretary and treasurer of the Enterprise Brass Foundry, an
important industrial enterprise of Seattle. He was born in Peoria, Illinois, May 31, 1859,
a son of Alfred Thurlow and Sarah B. Thurlow. He attended the public schools until
1872, when at the age of thirteen years he left his native city and accompanied his parents
on their removal to Seattle, in which city they remained a few weeks and then moved
to Semiahnioo, Washington. There Eugene Thurlow worked with his father at shipbuilding
until 1880, when he returned to Seattle and entered upon an apprenticeship with the Puget
Foundry, which he thus served for four years. On the expiration of that period he went
to Port Townsend and entered the employ of the Port Townsend Foundry & Machine
Company as molder and pattern maker, filling that position in an acceptable manner until
1894. In that year he returned to Seattle and engaged with the Moran Brothers Com-
pany, shipbuilders, as foreman of the brass foundry. He spent two and one-half years in
that way and then went to the navy yard at Bremerton, Washington, where he became
foreman in the pattern shop, serving for two and one-half years. He again came to Seattle
in 1905, and with John Cary established the Enterprise Brass Foundry. F. L. Baker after-
ward bought an interest in the business and Mr. Cary sold out to Mr. Carmichael. When
the business was incorporated Mr. Baker was elected president, Mr. Carmichael vice presi-
dent and Mr. Thurlow secretary and treasurer, and each continues in his office to the
present time. They do general brass foundry work and jobbing, making a specialty of
propeller wheels and all kinds of brass repair work on ships. They employ fourteen men
and are now accorded a good patronage.

Mr. Thurlow married in December, 1883, in Seattle, Miss Mahala Scott, who passed
away in 1895. To this union were born three children, namely: Mrs. May E. Fuller, Mrs.
Olive Robison and Victor G. On the 3d of July, 1901, in Seattle, Mr. Thurlow, was
again married, his second union being with Lottie L. Steinweg. He holds membership
with several fraternal organizations, including the Ancient Order of United Workmen,
the Red Men and the Modern Woodmen. He likewise belongs to the Pioneer Society,
for he came to Seattle forty-four years ago when it was a small town, giving little indica-
tion of ever becoming the great northwest metropolis that it is today. There were some



■ HISTORY OF SEATTLE 453

shipbuilding and trade interests, but these were comparatively small and scarcely anyone
dreamed that Seattle would become a connecting point with the trade of the orient. Mr.
Thurlow has lived to witness many changes in the years which have come and gone and
is justifiably proud of what Seattle has accomplished.



ROBERT ROLSTON FOX.



Industrial activity in Seattle finds an active and worthy representative in Robert Rol-
ston Fox, manager of the saw manufacturing plant of the Simonds Manufacturing Com-
pany. His position is one of responsibility and importance and he is fully meeting the
obligations that devolve upon him in this connection. He was born in Millington, Con-
necticut, July 31, 1872, a son of Mathew Henry and Augusta A. Fox. He acquired a common
school education, supplemented by a two years' course in the Utica Commercial College.
He made his initial step in the business world in 1892 as a clerk in the Chicago office
of the Simonds Manufacturing Company and in September, 1898, removed to Seattle to'
establish the branch at this place, of which he has since been manager. He now controls
an extensive and growing saw manufactory, the business having already reached large and
gratifying proportions. He is also interested in real estate and owns considerable land,
and is a director in the National City Bank and in the Title Trust Company. It is charac-
teristic of him that he carries forward to successful completion whatever he undertakes,
brooking no obstacles that can be overcome by persistent, earnest purpose, well defined
activity and careful management.

In August, 1897, in Chicago, Mr. Fox was united in marriage to Miss Maude E. Wall-
ing, by whom he has two children, Robert R., Jr., and John M., who are seventeen and
fifteen years of age respectively. He gives his political allegiance to the republican party,
is a member of all Masonic societies and also belongs to the Rainier Club, the Arctic Club
and the Golf and Country Club. There have been no spectacular phases in his life record
and none of the brilliant chapters which occasionally mark the career of the political or
military leader, but the record is none the less essential and none the less valuable. He
has pursued the even tenor of his way in the business world and his well directed inter-
ests constitute not only a source of individual success but also an element in Seattle's
material upbuilding.



W. C. McMILLIN.

W. C. McMillin has been a witness of much of Seattle's growth and as a contractor
and builder has been actively and prominently identified with much of the material develop-
ment of the city. His residence in the state covers fifty-three years and his residence in
the northwest covers the entire period of his life. He was born in Marion county, Oregon,
in February, 1855. Three years before his parents, David R. and Mary A. (Swartz)
McMillin, had left the old home in Abingdon, Illinois, and with ox teams had made the
slow and' tedious journey across the country to the northwest, becoming pioneer settlers
of Oregon. After a decade, however, they removed to Kent, Washington, where the
father not only secured and developed a ranch, but also engaged in preaching as the
first minister of Kent. The mother made by hand the first flag used in the first Fourth of
July celebration in King county and this is now in possession of W. C. McMillin. In the
family were fifteen children, of whom five are yet living.

W C McMillin was a little lad of seven summers when the family came to this
state and upon the ranch at Kent he was reared, but turned from farm life to steamboat-
ing in which he was engaged for a quarter of a century. He then abandoned that occu-
pation to enter upon the work of contracting and building and it was not long before he
had secured a liberal patronage, which has continued through the intervening years, so that
he has been actively identified with the material development and adornment of Seattle.



454 HISTORY OF SEATTLE

Many important contracts have been awarded him and he has not only been a witness of
but a factor in the city's growth and improvement.

In Seattle, in 1878, Mr. McMillin was married to Miss Emma Jordan, who died in
1904, leaving three children, Herbert R., George W. and Charles C. In 1909 Mr. McMillin
was again married, his second union being with Anna Weiderhold, by whom he has one
son, Chester David.

Mr. McMillin has always voted with the republican party since age gave to him the
right of franchise. He has guided his life by the teachings of the Methodist church, in
which he has long held membership. The Pioneers Association numbers him among its
worthy representatives and there are few features connected with the settlement and
growth of the state with which he is not familiar, having for more than a half century
been connected with events which have had a marked effect in shaping the annals of the
state.



WILLIAM VOIGT.



William Voigt became a permanent resident of Seattle in 1876, and with the upbuilding
and development of the city has been closely associated. He has watched its progress from
practical villagehood to its present metropolitan proportions and has ever been loyal to its
interests. Mr. Voigt is a native of Prussia, his birth having occurred on the 4th of
November. 1838, at Custrin, in the province of Brandenburg, which town has always been
one of the strongly fortified places of Prussia. His parents were Christian and Anna
Sophie (Muske) Voigt. His father was for a year military inspector for the government
institutions for raising horses for military purposes and in the later years of his life he
owned an estate near Custrin.

William Voigt acquired his preparatory education at the gymnasium at Frankfort-on-
the-Oder and was graduated from the college there in the fall of 1856, after which he
entered the University of Berlin to study medicine. He pursued his course there for six
months and then, through familj' influence, because there was already a physician in the
family, was induced to take up the study of theology. Accordingly he entered the Uni-
versity of Halle, which was at that time the principal thelogical school of the country, and
was graduated therefrom in the fall of 1859. For two years he engaged in teaching in
high schools and in the meantime he joined a political society called the National Verein,
the object of which was to form a united Germany. He took an active part in furthering
its work by making speeches setting forth the value and worth of such movements, but the
Prussian government notified him that he could not be a member of this society nor
make political speeches, for the Prussians were opposed to the movement not because they
were against the idea of a united Germany but because they did not wish to offend
Austria, whose emperor had been the nominal German emperor, increly a figurehead,
however, with the government seat at Frankfort-on-the-Main. Not agreeing with the
Prussian government, Mr. Voigt went to England, where he taught in a private school,
but not wishing to become an English subject, he decided to take up his abode in the land
which he regarded as having the greatest future and possibilities. Accordingly he made
his way to America, arriving in New York in the fall of 1863, after which he engaged in
teaching there for about two years. In 1864 Mr. Voigt was united in marriage to Miss
Mina Wengel, a daughter of Herbert Wengel, a major in the army of Wurtemberg. In
the fall of 1865 he made his way to San Francisco and after a trip through Arizona
decided to open a private school at Stockton, California. While a resident of that place
he was a member of tlie Order of Druids and held the position of secretary. In 1868
he made a trip to Puget Sound and was so pleased with the country that he returned to
California, disposed of his holdings there and returned to the northwest in 1870. From
1871 until 1874 he conducted a hotel at Steilacoom.

On his first visit to Seattle, in 1870, Mr. Voigt was greatly impressed with its natural
advantages as a great shipping and manufacturing center and recognized the fact that the
lakes could easily be connected with the harbor and especially the tide flats, which should
have furnished the money for all the harbor improvements for a great world seaport.



•-• '•■-■L .■ ^.'.



— - ..^




WILLIAM VOIGT




MRS. WILLIAM X'OIGT



HISTORY OF SEATTLE 459

He always took a deep interest in the project of building the Lake Washington canal. He
returned to Seattle to take up his permanent abode, has always been interested in every-
thing pertaining to its welfare and was earnest in his efforts to bring about the connection
of the lakes with the salt water. While a member of the city council from 1894 until
1896 he used all of his time and influence to advance the building of the Lake Washington
canal and the replatting of the water front from Washington street to Smith Cove. He
agitated the building of a sea wall, if not of concrete at least a brush wall, and supported
the plan of making a solid water front by filling in from the Denny hill, which would have
made the water front sanitary and would have saved the city thousands of dollars, but the
earth carried away from Denny hill went into deep water and unsanitary conditions still
e.Kist along the lake front. Mr. Voigt was also a most earnest worker in the movement
to secure the Cedar river water and labored untiringly with his friends to carry the election
with a three-fifths majority in order that the city might have the legal right to carry out
the Cedar river project. None questions his public spirit or his devotion to those plans
which he believes will be of the greatest benefit to the city. In his private business afTairs
he has been active in real estate and building operations and in 1889 he erected a business
block on First avenue between Vine and Cedar streets, where he has since lived. Mrs.
V'oigt passed away on the 23d of August, 1904. Mr. Voigt is a member of the Pioneer
Society.

His life has been an active and useful one, far-reaching in its effects and honorable
in its purposes. His political allegiance has ever been given to the republican party, which
he has represented in various county and state conventions. Throughout all the years of
his residence in the northwest Mr. Voigt has been an active factor in the upbuilding of the
country, the development of its resources and the utilization of its natural advantages, and
his worth as a citizen is widely acknowledged.



CAP! AIN THOMAS H. McMILLLX.

Captain Thomas H. McMillin was a pioneer steamboat man of Washington. Although
fifty-seven years of age at the time of his death, he was a native son of the northwest, his
birth having occurred in Oregon in 1858, while his residence in Washington dated from
1862. His parents were David R. and Mary A. (Swartz) McMillin, the former a farmer
by occupation, although he afterward became a resident of the coast country and devoted
many years to preaching. He made the journey westward from Abingdon, Illinois, with an
o.x team in 1852, in which year he took up his abode in Oregon, where he spent a decade.
In 1862 he removed to Kent, Washington, where he located a homestead and became the
first minister of that place. He died in the year 1881. It was his wife who made the first
flag that was used at the first Fourth of July celebration held in King county, and W. C.
McMillin, his son, still has that flag in his possession. It is four by eight feet and was
made by hand. The children of Mr. and Mrs. David R. McMillin were fifteen in number,
of whom five are living, Mrs. Jane Ross, Mrs. Martha Mulkay. Mrs. M. J. Blair, W. C. and
S. D.

Captain Thomas H. McMillin became a student in tlie State University of Washington



Online LibraryClarence BagleyHistory of Seattle from the earliest settlement to the present time (Volume 3) → online text (page 54 of 142)